Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    You are right about Cadillac dealers advising 6,000 mile oil changes regardless what the Oil Life Monitor says. One of my vehicles is an '09 CTS and the dealer says that they are finding that they have problems with the actuators in some of the engines where people have gone by the monitor. I feel sorry for the person who buys a used car where the person has gone by the monitor.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi Sandman 6472:

Thank you for taking time to respond to my recent posting. ------- You are absolutely correct in your assessment of my "buyers remorse," ---- but not for the reasons that you think! ---- I saw the 2010 four Cylinder Malibu as an American Copy of the Honda four cylinder Accord. ------ The vehicle drives just like the 2003 Honda Accord. ---- It was just pointed out to me today, that GM is running an advertisement on TV stating that the 2011 Malibu gets 33 mpg. ----(SOMEONE IS LYING!) ------ So you see, this figure in not in my imagination. Chevrolet is making this statement NOT ME! ----- I at least expect to get 30mpg on the highway! ---- QUESTION: ---- Should I believe Chevrolet, and if I do believe this statement, should I expect to get at least 30mpg? ---- If I decide to "dump this vehicle," it will not be because I did not do my homework, ---- rather it will be because Chevrolet has not produced a vehicle that matches their own advertisement! ---- NOTE: ----- I was not given the opportunity to take this vehicle on a long road trip to measure the MPG to see if it matched the stated advertisement! ---- In order to be responsible for a poor purchase, I needed to have had the opportunity to evaluate the vehicle on the road. ----- Such was not the case! ------ (I also assumed that the four tires would hold air!)----- If I was to turn in this vehicle for a new vehicle, I would not be purchasing another Chevrolet. ---- Most likely, I would be trading this Malibu against a Camry. ---- I would get about $19,500.00 for this vehicle on a trade. To trade up to an XLE V6 NEW Camry would require about $10,000.00 out of pocket, ---- plus the cost of an extended factory warranty, ($1,600.00) ----- The question is; ------ does my dissatisfaction motivate me to take such and action? ---- In reality, a vehicle is only transportation! ---- Getting five miles less per gallon is not all that big of a deal in terms of money, but it does have a big impact on the perceived ethics of an American Car Company. --------- When it comes time to purchase an new vehicle, do I consider an American name plate, or do I totally discount all American vehicles and only consider foreign vehicles? --- I will let you guess with regards to my response. ------- Best regards. ---- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • kajivkajiv Member Posts: 8
    When does Honda recommend the first oil change for Honda Accord?
    I put on a 1500 miles so far. Is it time to get it changed? Thanks for your response in advance.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since this discussion is about choosing which vehicle to purchase, and your question is specifically about Accord ownership, I'm going to send you to the Honda Accord list of discussions and ask you to pick an existing one there, where other owners can give you advice.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chcatchcat Member Posts: 4
    Depends on oil, not on the type of car. Typically in 3000 miles, or 3 months. Can be twice as long for synth oil. should be a sticker on your windshield telling you when..
    Depends on oil, not on the type of car. Typically in 3000 miles, or 3 months. Can be twice as long for synth oil. should be a sticker on your windshield telling you when..
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Have you followed up on any of the numerous suggestions other forum members have given you in good faith regarding the possible loss of 2 psi per month in your tires?

Also refusing to consider other American cars because of your disapointment with your Malibu is like refusing to buy a Honda because you had a problem with a Toyota.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    What does the owners manual say? Have you even read it? I went with the owners manual when I bought my Civic, there's some kind of additive used that needs to stay in for a certain amount of time.

Please, follow what the manual says and you'll be just fine!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Kirstie gives good advice so I suggest you come over to the Accord discussion topics in the future. Since I see that you haven't posted anything there yet, the short answer is 5000 miles.
    Hi bdyment:

Thank you for your response to my postings. ---- Please be assured that all the responses are greatly appreciated.

I drove this vehicle to the service station and inflated the tires to 32psi last week. ---- I then parked the vehicle in the driveway. ---- I have been driving my 2007 V6 Camry in the snow, because the Malibu is not as good as the Camry in the snow. ------ The weight of the V6 engine makes a BIG difference!

In terms of performance, a four cylinder Honda, Camry, Nissan, Hyundai, or Kia could run rings around this Malibu, and still get the mileage. Having owned a 2003 four cylinder Accord, there is a "BIG DIFFERENCE" in performance when coming out of a toll booth on the highway with the Accord vs the Malibu, and the Honda gives you the mileage. ----- The down side to the Honda is the seating. It is VERY HARD and VERY TIGHT! The Honda has a 5 speed trans, while the Malibu has a 6 speed trans. With that fact in mind, the Malibu should at least equal the Honda in mileage & performance, but such is not the case! ---- When I took the test drive, I drove the vehicle on secondary roads, (not on the highway!) ---- It seemed to have an adequate "pick-up" and reserve power! ---- Once I started to drive it on the highway, I started to notice that at 60 mph it really lacks quality passing power. This is where the Honda Accord excels. ---- The engine is just too small for this size vehicle. The engine is working "very hard" when on the highway. At 60 mph, my Camry floats along the road. If I take my foot off the accelerator, the vehicle coast along the road. The Malibu is the direct opposite. (THIS COULD BE THE RESULT OF THE POOR QUALITY TIRES ON THE MALIBU!) The Camry has Michelin tires, and the Malibu has "bottom of the line Goodyear tires." ---- The Malibu is a good copy of the Honda Accord, but GM did not finish the job. The engine needs to be refined, and they need to spend some money on quality tires.

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Isn't hindsight a marvelous thing. If you had been permitted to drive the 4 cylinder Malibu on a longer test drive, you would have probably purchased a V6 Malibu and been a lot happier. I"ll bet the gas mileage would have equaled or exceeded your present Malibu.

Yes the Camry and Honda 4 cylinder engines are really smooth, especially the Honda.
    Hi bdyment:

You are absolutely correct with regards to your comments. ----- BUT, GM advertises the 2010 - 4 cylinder Malibu as achieving between 30 to 33 mpg on the highway! ----- This is false advertising! ----- Search the "net," and you will find owners like myself that only get 27mpg. --- Once in awhile, you will find a person that gets 30mpg. (I would suspect that the owner runs the tires "Very Hard," or they have removed the Goodyear tires from the vehicle.) ----- I want the advertised mileage! ----- This is the vehicle that I purchased, and this is what I want! ---- Hindsight has nothing to do with the issue! ----- I did not print the mileage ratings on the MSRP sticker in the showroom, GM put those figures on that sticker! ----- Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    Actually, the EPA tests the mileage. That isn't GM's number. There is no false advertising in this case.

There are so many variations from one driver to the next that it is impossible to nail the mileage exactly. Weather, location, wind speed, tires, car speed, etc. are also big factors.
    Hi Tallman1

You are correct! ------------ Tires are very important with regards to mileage! ----------Dwayne ;)
    Can someone list pros and cons for choosing "cooper" ? Seems as it's been listed in 10's best models for winter driving and gas efficiency is impressive...
    Are you talking about Cooper tires or Mini Cooper, the car? :confuse:
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I have always kept the original equipment tires on the car until I need to change them and then can pick something else. My Cobalt with a 4 and a 4 speed transmission and the original Continental tires has gotten as much as 41 on the road -Prius territory. What is screwing up gas mileage is not tires but the lousy Ethanol they are adding to the gas. My Deville dropped from 30 on the road to 27. Most of the car magazines say that the 4 in the Malibu is just fine. I'm buying a new one in a couple of months and will definately get a 4.

The local dealer is chargine $15,800 for a 2009 base model with 36,000 miles. A new one on Cars.com is less than $18,000. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to skip the 'Certified" ex-rental car. It saves having to buy a GM Protection Plan 3 year warranty plus new tires. Buying a certified Cadillac is smart. Buying a certified Chevrolet is stupid.
    Hi dispencer2:

I see from your posting that you are considering purchasing a NEW 2011 Chevrolet Malibu in the near future. ----- As you know from my previous postings, I own a 2010 4 cylinder Chevrolet Malibu LTZ. ----- The vehicle is fun to drive, and the fit & finish are outstanding, but the engine performance leaves a lot to be desired! --------- The miles per gallon on the highway are not up to the advertised postings. --- (I only get 27mpg, and I have tried different brands of fuel and different octanes.) ---- The stock tires are "bottom of the line Goodyear tires" of questionable quality, and they do not hold air over time!

SUGGESTIONS:

Take a look at the 2011 - XLE 2.5 ---- 4 cylinder Camry. ----- It comes with a 8 way power driver's seat, and a 4 way power passenger seat, dual zone climate controls driver / passenger, the engine is a 2.5 with DOHC / VVT and rated at 169 HP backed by 6 speed automatic transmission. ---- The vehicle is rated at 22 / 32 MPG. -----

I also own a 2007 XLE V6 Toyota Camry, and I get 30MPG easily on the highway. ------ On a long trip, my Camry has reached as high as 34MPG. ---- (The Camry can be had with Michelin Tires!) ----- I am sure that a four cylinder Camry can get the posted highway mileage! -----(Hell, I could have purchased a 2010 V6 Camry, and gotten better highway mileage than the four cylinder Malibu!) -------- (Just a suggestion!) ---- NOTE: ------ This is the last American 4 cylinder vehicle for me! ---- (I might purchase a V6 American vehicle.) ----- Poor engine performance, and lack of "state of the art MPG engineering," cheap original equipment tires, and what is more important "a lack of concern from the manufacturer" has turned me completely off! ----

I think the better buy is the four cylinder Camry over the four cylinder Malibu. ------ (I WISH I HAD PURCHASED THE CAMRY four or six cylinder!) ----- Heck, I wish I had purchased a Hyundai of a Kia! ------- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The way to solve the 4 vs 6 issue is to just buy a 4 cylinder Accord. The clutch is electro-mechanical without any actual linkage, so it is literally as precise and easy as a video game.

It accelerates in traffic exactly as quick as the 6 with automatic since there's no time spent waiting for it to wind up and get moving. Shifting is excellent and the car feels light on its feet.

Now, if you really want something better, consider a used or CPO 2007 CTS with manual and the 2.8L engine. Quick shifting and more than enough power, decently nice interior (I know everyone panned it vs the competition, but it is nicer than a typical economy sedan) , and you won't even have to spend $15K. If getting around town is all you want to do, the 2.8 is great as you can consistently get 29-30mpg highway with cruise control on. MPG is identical to everyone else's 6 cylinder/auto combination if you drive it conservatively. (official was 17/27 - real world is about 24-25mpg for typical commuting)
    A reporter seeks to interview a current car shopper about Toyota. Have the headlines of the past year affected your interest in the brand? Please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, February 9, 2010 with your comments.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bostonbullbostonbull Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    I have a little over $21,000 to spend on a used vehicle total including a trade in. Hoping to get the car for under $20k then tack on a grand or two from my trade to the final price. Ill pay tax, title, docs, etc out of pocket.

I have narrowed it down to the two models listed in the title. I want something that is super reliable, low cost of maintenance, good MPG, high resale value and powerful. It also has to be loaded, navigation isn't necessary but I would like bluetooth. This will be the first nice car I have owned and I plan on keeping it for a while. My last 2 vehicles were a 1999 and 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, both were POS!

I drive 50/50 city highway, ave a family of 4, and put 15-20k miles on a year.

I considered other cars, the 2010 Ford Fusion Sport was on the list, but the plummeting resale value scared me off. I don't like Toyota's, or GM products. The Legacy being a first model year makes me a bit nervous to be honest as does the repair cost if the AWD breaks down.
  • bostonbullbostonbull Member Posts: 4
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    So I'm buying a car as a wedding present for my daughter, they will live in NC. I am going to spend about $6500. I'm shopping cars with asking prices from $6000-$8500. I have narrowed it down to about 4 general cars although nothing specific. A 2006 Sonata v6 with about 100k, a 2003ish 3.5 Altima with 125-150k, A 2007 Impala 3.9 with 90k, or a 2003 V8 LS with 125k. I wasn't really looking at the LS at first but some really nice examples are out there in this price range and are by far the most plush. The Impala would still have 10k miles on the factory powertrain warranty and is cheeper to insure. The Altima seems like the nicest car, but they have more miles to get in this price range and seem a bit more abused. The Sonata just seems all aound good but not great in any one area. I'm staying away from the 4 cylinder versions as they seem to have more problems as the mileage racks up and to me seem underpowered. Any thoughts or additions to my shopping list?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    edited February 2011
    well, judging by trade-in values, you shouldn't need to go that high on the miles with the Altima. If you can find one, an '03 with 100k is right around the same value as the '06 Sonata you listed. And, believe it or not, an '03 LS with 100k is worth even less than either of those. An '04 with 100k is more in line with the value of the Sonata and Altima.

If you are finding an '07 Impala V6 (I'm assuming LTZ with moonroof) for $6500, something is wrong because it has a minimum trade value of $7k

Another one I suggest is an '04-'05 Mazda6 loaded up with ~100k, but with the 4-cyl, which is plenty of poke and is reliable.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

A slightly used Fusion Sport is actually a great deal, though, thanks to the resale value. I mean, you are talking like $28k for a new 2012, while you can get a 2010 Sport with Nav with ~15k miles for around $18,500.

A comparable '09 is about $16k right now, so it seems the depreciation settles down quite a bit after those first 2 years.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Since you are looking at domestics as well, you should also look at similar age Buicks. They generally have slightly better engines and a bit more nice interiors than the same platform Chevrolet.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=293369130
    This has the same electronic suspension as a Cadillac and a V8 engine out of one as well. Only get the CXS - it's a completely different vehicle compared to the other trims. Different engine and suspension - it drives virtually the same as a late 90s S class, which is a HUGE improvement for GM. I'd rate it as a far better car than the 2003 LS.

The LaCrosse CXS from around 2006-2007 is also worth considering as it has the same engine as the Cadillac CTS, and an upgraded suspension as well. It's a total sleeper that drives better than any Buick you've ever driven before. You can usually find this for around 7-8K. Both are very pretty cars that have a bit of extra bling that would make for a nice present as well.

Of course, the best used deal out there is a similar aged Grand Marquis. It's cheap to fix, impossible to kill, and if you get it in a the dark blue or red color, it's 100% not going to look like a police car.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=293384104
    Yes, that's under 15K miles. On a car that can go 300K quite easily.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=290959044
    This is a more typical example, mileage and price-wise.
  • flightsimmerflightsimmer Member Posts: 15
    Yokohama Avids are good, too. Have 4 of them on my 05 Camry SE (V rated version). If you can find Yokos with the right rating for your LTZ (Yokohama AVID TRZ should work) you'll be fine. :)
    edited February 2011
    Funny you mention police cars with the Gran Marquis because that's how you get a 3.9 07 Impala for under $6500. Actually I suspect I can get one still with factory warranty remaining for $4400 from the Highway Patrol auction for our state. They may be driven hard but I bet they are driven easier then the rental cars which is where a lot of these used Impalas come from. Our state, Montana, those are really "highway" patrol cars and get their mileage running up and down the highway on 12 hour shifts. So $4400 leaves a few thousand for aftermarket wheels and new tires, a nice detail, and maybe a few upgrades like a spoiler, window tint, or some stereo upgrades. Our highway patrol cars are solid black which look nice, you can also get a 08 crown vic for the same price, and there are some Hemi Chargers but they go at least $7500. After shopping cars yesterday I'm leaning to the Impala although we did see a nice 02 Maxima for that price range. I'll try and find a lacross CSX as I like that idea.
    I actually mentioned (or thought it was obvious) how you can buy one of the 5% or so that aren't ex-taxis or ex-police cars for nearly the same money. Don't touch anything that was used in a fleet with a ten foot pole. By the time you get them, they are abused to death and the interior is a mess. The paint, if it was re-painted, looks like junk.

But the sheer number of junk cars out there makes the few that were sold to individuals dirt cheap ;) Used Imalas also suffer from this syndrome, but the ratio is closer to 20% non-fleet, and you'll spend a lot less time locating one.

Yeah, the CXS is nice as the engine is tuned for torque and so it develops essentially maximum torque at a staggeringly low 1200rpm (where the VVT makes the graph go essentially flat, though there is a small bump of ~10 more lb-ft of torque at about 1800rpm). It has leather, some nice wood trim, and a much better interior than a Camry or an Accord(for what GM charged at the time, it had better be). It was very under-appreciated by most of the automotive press.

It's odd driving it, as you think it's a GM sedan but it drives like it has a small V8 diesel engine in it. Since it idles at about 900 rpm, you press the throttle down at any time or any speed and you get diesel like power immediately. There's a tiny 300-400rpm dead spot before the VVT fully engages, which is the smallest I've seen aside from a dual turbo or TDI setup. A normal CTS is tweaked for high end speed and develops its torque around 1600rpm.

The suspension components are also largely shared with the first generation CTS. There's zero wobble or wandering. Driving-wise, it feels very close to how the Pontiac G8 felt. (note - if your budget was a bit larger, just get the G8 and forget everything else that's domestic)

And the other Lacrosse trims? They feel like they've already driven 300K miles by comparison. I've never encountered such a vast difference between trims in my life. One is amazing and if GM had only made it, they would have killed the competition. The other trims are exactly like a W body GM sedan from a rental company.
    I know a few cops and they are mature normal men. They don't abuse their work cars anymore then their personal cars. Nothing like what a 20 something male or a high schooler does. I bet the fleet does better at keeping up on maintenance compared to the average owner pushing oil changes to beyond 5000 miles. They also keep the same car through it's time in service which for the MT highway patrol is about 80,000 miles. Also nothing like what a rental car goes through, I swear even 65 year old ladies test the burnout capabilites of their rental, LOL!
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    What about giving your new bride a $6500 check and using it toward a down payment on a newer car?

Altima's between 2002-2005 had various issues ranging from engine, electrical and fuel system problems. An '06 Altima would be a better choice. After that, you've got to look out on the '07-'09 models for CVT issues.

Impala is a whole 'nother story. This car is almost a 20 year old design. Fuel economy is dismal, the steering is a notchy tilt only, cooling problems, uncomfortable seats and a litany of electrical gremlins.

The LS is a fun car to drive, but it too has issues. Engine cooling, big time transmission, fuel system and electrical.

I like the '06 Sonata. It looks to be the most reliable of the bunch, gets decent fuel economy and comfortable seats. Not to mention, it has traction and stability control.
  • variosvarios Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    Hi guys..

Money: Around $29.000

Options:
    2011 Accord EX-V6: New
    2008 Lexus ES350: 44,000 miles.
    2008 Audi A4 2.0T: 31,000 Miles

I need to decide and its been impossible !!
    Which one will you choose and why?.

Thanks
    edited March 2011
    I much prefer the ride of the Accord over the Lexus. If you are a fan of floaty, then you might prefer the Lexus. Lexus has a good reputation but I'd want a new car for many reasons.

With all the reliability issues I read about with Audi, I wouldn't consider it, especially used.

Now prepare yourself for all those posters who will try to talk you into another car that you didn't mention. :)
    Quite a varied bunch there. Really no similarities other than all having 4 doors. I guess maybe the Lexus and Accord are similar size. Audi is quite a bit smaller.

How long will you own the car? Personally, I'd prefer the audi of the bunch, but it is because I like the 2.0T and the other 2 are too big for my taste. However, I wouldn't want to keep the audi longterm for reliability concerns.

Would I suggest something else for $29k? Yup! :P

• variosvarios Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    Money: Around $29.000

Options:
    2011 Accord EX-V6: New
    2008 Lexus ES350: 44,000 miles.

Not choosingby size/speed. I'm more into Efficiency/Engine and it'll probably stay 3years with me. Big question might be Which car is better? The smart choice will be a new "regular" Accord or an Older "lil-luxury" Lexus.

Looking into what I think is good in the marked... honda, toyota, lexus, audi (not any more expensive than that) but well, dont know much about cars in general... then so hard to decide.

Comments are really welcomed, even long ones !!
    Need more orientation in the Why ... this or that one.

Thanks.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    Okay...I'll be that guy that suggests something else. You list an Accord and an A4 as options, so it seems to me that the TSX should make the list by default. The Acura is a bit smaller than the Accord with sportier handling (like the A4), and can be had in your price range new w/full warranty and is reliable (like the Accord).

2 cents, etc.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

decided to look this one up ... and '08 ES350 with the ultra-luxo package and 44k miles should be running you under $25k. So quite a bit below your ceiling. So for $29k, you should be looking for either a high mileage 2010 (~30k miles) or a low mileage 2009 (~20k miles).

A comparable '09 A4 with 20k miles should run you about $26k-$27k.
    An '09 TSX with 20k ... about $24k.
    '09 BMW 328i with 20k ~$25k.
    '09 S60 2.5T with 20k ~$22k.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Would buy this car hands down...buying new here is the way to go actually so you are the 1st guy to drive it. In the long run, bet you'd be happiest doing this...and Acura's/Honda's are so reliable it ain't funny. This way, you won't have any reliability issues and they are "cheap to keep" with no drama.

Enjoy!
    The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

A reporter is looking to interview anyone who recently considered buying a new Lexus but ended up getting something else, especially if it was related to styling, the freshness of the product or something that turned them off about the Lexus.
    Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, March 31, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• int64int64 Member Posts: 19
    HI Guys,

I am going to buy my 1st car. and i have below couple of options

1. 2002 Camry XLE fully loaded, 50,000 miles price :$9000 red color
    2. 2005 Maxima SE (Auto transmission, leather seats, sunroof, low profile wheels, spoiler, bose system, customed grill, all black ) 61,500 miles, price: 12500
    3. 2007 Altima S base model, gray color 44000 miles price: 12400
    4. 2008 Altima S base model white color 25000 miles price:15200

I am too confused right now. Personally I like white and black colors. I want to buy Maxima but i think its a bit pricy. Camry is a good reliable option too, but it may be too old allthough it has low miles.

Please give me your suggestions, I dont have much idea about cars and its going to be my first car. Allthough i have driven cars before. :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Your price range is $6000. That's pretty big. I recommend first you decide how much you really want to spend. Is it $9000 or $15,000? There's a LOT of nice cars out there for $15,000.

If you can afford $15k, I'd go for the newest car with lowest miles and most warranty left that you like in other respects. In this group of 4, that's the 2008 Altima. For $15k, you could get a 2010 Sonata with 4 years of factory warranty left. It would drive a lot like the Camry. But many other choices for $15k also, including newer Maximas with lower miles than the one you listed.
    I dont want to spend more than 12000. I like Altima and Maxima.

Camry is an option here because it has low miles and resale is not a problem.

Altima's listed here are from dealers. Not sure about prices but its really hard to find a altima or maxima in Ohio..

I am more confused in first 2 cars. maxima and camry. would it make sense to buy any of these car for the listed prices? If yes, which one would make more sense? :D
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You said you like the Maxima better. So that is what I'd go for if I were you.

And, it's dangerous (to the wallet) to put cars on your list that cost a lot more than your budget. ;)
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    The Maxima sounds modded, with the wheels, grill, etc. Which would take immediately off the list for me. Highest miles makes the decision even easier...do they have receipts for the 60k service?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

he claims to have the receipt, And there is some extended warranty left on Maxima for around 2 years and free oil change

not sure if i shud do this but below are the two cars m talk :surprise: ing about

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2271422493.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2289419299.html
    yeah, Its the first time m buying a car with my hard earned money. probably thats why m thinking too much.

i am also looking at prospective like which will give me better returns if i have to sell them after 2-3 years.

I like Maxima, Its beautifully modded. But he has added woofer and things. So i am a little concerned about that.
    A first car is always a problem. Here's what I've learned about first cars over the years.

1: You want something that is inexpensive, bulletproof, and cheap enough so that if it gets destroyed or run into, it isn't a huge loss.

2: You absolutely do not want to make payments at such a young age. Even if the economy was better than it is now.

A: This means that you want a good, solid car for $4-6K most likely. You pay cash for it. Now, which car... You want a car that is super cheap to repair and that is not a gas guzzler. You also want something that has poor resale value, yet is not actually a terrible car. ie - maximize your profit going in. Lastly, you want something with a manual as it is a good skill to learn, is a huge amount cheaper to fix if it breaks, and it gets great MPG.

If this was ten years ago, I'd have said to get a Volvo 240 with manual. Done. Unfortunately as these are approaching 20+ years old now, we need a better alternative. If it was five years ago, I'd have said a Civic Del Sol or Toyota Celica. BTW, the Celica is the least expensive used Toyota to repair since the original Tacoma/4Runners in the 80s. Maybe a Miata if you could have found one in mint condition.

These are still good choices if you can find one in absolute mint condition. But something newer would be better of course.

B: Get something classic. The advantage here is zero depreciation. Work on it a bit and drive it - then sell it for no real loss. The downside is you have to do some work yourself and shop carefully.
    I am not in a situation to work on cars. I have no idea about their repairs atall. And i allready have a full time job. So, I dont want to spend my time repairing cars. If someone can give me advise among above listed camry and maxima, it would be great.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    They are all good vehicles. For price and reliability the Camry is probably your best bet. The Camry will get better fuel economy too and will not need much in the way of repairs. Do get it checked out first to make sure it doesn't have any surprises. My daughter has a '99 Camry still going strong at 165,000 miles. The Altimas sound a little pricey for their age. I also own an '01 Maxima which has been a great car, but it is not as good on fuel economy as her Toyota.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere