Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Yeah, very few Grand Marquis were bought by fleets. Another sure-fire used bet is a Mercury marauder, which is a decked-out and more aggressive suspension version of the same car. In back, it looks very nice, actually.

If you need to get from A to B at any cost, you're either looking at a big GM or Ford car, or a late 80s Toyota truck. Maybe a late 80s Volvo 240 as well.
  • twitchhdtwitchhd Member Posts: 10
    What sedan would you buy brand new that is in the mid $20k range. Here are some I've tried:

1) HYUNDAI ELANTRA / SONATA: Love all the tech in the 2012. Wasn't impressed with bluelink in sonata. I do like being able to send to gps from google maps to my garmin gps, but looks like the sonata doesn't support this feature. The Elantra seems to be similar yet costs $6-8k less. The acceleration and the noisy rpm grind for both leaves much to be desired. I can't seem to find a comfortable sitting position in both cars. In my current Audi I like being able to see the hood of the car to get a sense of how far I am from the car ahead. With both these I need to crank up the seat height quite a bit till the top of head is mashing up against the roof of the car and I'm not that tall either. If I lower the seat i get a slightly more comfortable position. The rear view is limited as well. On the other hand, the braking of this vehicle (along with all the tech abs/ebfd/esc/etc) are great and should safer on turns when it rains and even with some snow on the ground. The other car I had driven way back was a pontiac g6 that was fun to drive back then (probably cause it had v6, I guess). Currently leaning on the elantra but I want it in white exterior, beige interior and navigation + rear view dimming, and this is a hard combination to get in the new england area (or so I'm told by the dealers here). One offered to get one for me but there goes my negotiating power plus he wants a $500 deposit which he claims he will refund even if I don't buy the car. But this means I'm paying full MSRP, forget trying to get amex zag pricing. OTOH, if I get one in stock then i could possibly save about $800, but it won't be the color i want. Also I dislike the lack of automatic climate control on the elantra. At the same time I can't justify the additional $6k for sonata to get the climate control. There is a $500 incentive through motozuma/Hyundai but I have to wait 30 days to buy (which i can).

2) FORD FUSION : Love all the tech, or so I think. I haven't been able to test drive one with a navigation unit as they all seem to be reliant on a chip manufacturer in Japan that is still reeling from the tsunami. Seems odd, but this is what the dealers tell me. The non navi unit I drove was a SEL without v6. It also seemed somewhat noisy to me. I did prefer the front window view and rear view on the ford from the driver seat. Not quite as cramped as the Hyundai. I like the fact that v6 is an option but haven't test drove one yet. Availability appears to be very limited. I dislike the fact that if you add navigation you're leaning closer to $28k, or $30k if you add v6. I do like that owner satisfaction is high in Consumer reports. For such a tech car it is a shame they don't offer key less entry.

3) NISSAN ALTIMA: Similar to Ford fusion, once you add the navigation/ tech, you're close to $30k but with incentives it brings it down to $28k. The financing is great on this car. 2012 for 60 mos at 0.9% plus an additional $500 for recent college grad is great. However, similar to ford fusion I can't get navigation currently because everyone seems to be out of it. I have yet to test drive the altima. I'm not particularly fond of the external appearance but do not weigh that as much. Keyless entry is a plus

So what car would you get from the above?

Items on my would like to have list:
    (a) quiet / comfortable ride
    (b) navigation
    (c) stability control / anti lock break / ebfd / other safety tech
    (d) send to gps from google maps would be a plus
    (e) moon roof
    (f) tech - key less entry would be nice
    (g) would prefer HID lights
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If I had to pick one of these, probably the Sonata SE, although I like the Fusion too. But if I were you, before plunking down $25k on a car, I'd drive others in this class, including the Optima (has advantages over the Sonata IMO), Mazda6, Accord, Passat, and (available very soon) 2012 Camry. With quiet/comfy ride a key criterion, you might really like the Passat and Camry in particular. Might be hard to get a new Camry or Passat with nav for under $25k, but could you live with aftermarket nav?

The Elantra is in a completely different class. If it meets your needs, great, you'll save a few thousand, but the same could be said for cars like the Cruze and Focus.
    edited September 2011
    I did goto the Toyota dealership and looked at the camry briefly, just not very interesting. The 0% financing on it is great though. The lack of technology isn't very enticing either. I have aftermarket nav on my current Audi and use it only during unplanned times. It does crash and leave me in the middle of nowhere with no where to turn. A terrible feeling. The radio reception is terrible, even with hd radio. I used to have a mazda 6, and never grew fond of it. Dad has the accord. audi and VW, trying to stay away from. Haven't looked at the optima. Will take a look. Thanks.

EDIT: From consumer reports on the kia optima : Lows - Ride, road noise.

I suspect it is hard to step down from an audi to a more affordable car yet still retain some of the benefits of an audi. The elantra/sonata comes very close, except for the weak engine. The SE trim on sonata is notorious for road noise.
  • mattsk42mattsk42 Member Posts: 2
    I'd like a list of 3 or 4 cars to choose from, with these as the guidelines. I'm not opposed to any other suggestions, but I've already decided on a few things, so don't be offended if I say no.

Can NOT include:

1. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW - Where I live these just don't have the service/parts I need in case of a problem. I've had many friends forced to drive 500 miles to get what they need.
    2. Rear wheel drive - No chance at all to buy one of these
    3. Anything more than $20k or 50k miles

Want:

1. Front wheel, 4 wheel, or all wheel drive (MUST)
    2. Fast - Faster than a stock V6 on similar cars
    3. Dependable - "well I've personally had one for 10 years and never had a problem" doesn't count. Need reports of some kind.
    4. $20,000 or less - Used or new
    5. No more than 50,000 miles

Don't care about: (bonus factors, not determining factors)

1. Gas mileage - meh
    2. Exterior Appearance - Not going to sway my opinion at all
    3. Interior "materials" - Leather, nice trim, all extras for me. Nice, but I don't care enough to make it a real factor
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >3. Dependable - "well I've personally had one for 10 years and never had a problem" doesn't count. Need reports of some kind.

That is going to be a difficult category. You're going to be relying on hearsay from magazines, rating services, etc., who have different values than you likely do. In some cases they have downright prejudices for certain vehicles.

I think your better method for finding a car requiring less service is to find a brand that has a quality service dealership AND/or local mechanics who know those vehicles and can usually fix them well.

If you look at the recall lists and problems of varied and many cars, you'll see they all have their short comings. Some highly vaunted brands have problem posts in topics here on Edmunds. I always chuckle when someone says that they bought brand XXX because of their reputation--reputation is last year. What you buy this year is where they cut costs and quality or changed supplier for certain parts.

I recommend listening to the reputation of certain brands' garages and independent repair shops to find a vehicle you will be more satisfied with when something does go wrong. Really great is a garage that will tell you that something should be replaced or maintained 10 or 20K miles in the future so you can plan. That is opposed to the garages who try to add on extra maintenance items when the car is in so they can increase their profit for the week or month.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    stick or automatic?
    does your rule against BMW also rule out Mini? (although even a Mini S is not as fast in a straight line as your standard V6 family sedan)

G35/37x sounds to me like your car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mr_gonemr_gone Member Posts: 50
    Subaru Forester 2.5XT. Turbocharged with 220hp or thereabouts, under 7-second 0-60 times. Not sure about reliability because of the turbo, but Subes generally are among the more dependable brands.

Not much else will have this combination of power, 4WD and affordability. They've been making them since 2003, but even so they might be hard to find because they're just aren't that many of them around. You'll notice them by the scoop on the hood.
    Well, not sure why you would just limit to the Forester in that case. Legacy GT or even WRX would qualify, too.

However, and this is why I asked if we're talking automatic or stick, I wouldn't suggest a turbo subary with an automatic, personally.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

This was the 2012 (all-new) Camry you saw? I didn't think they were at dealers quite yet.

The Legacy has a smooth ride also, since that seems to be your chief criterion. And they are pretty reliable.

200 hp is a "weak engine"? Then you must be looking for a V6. That will be hard to do in a new mid-sized car with the equipment you want.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    edited September 2011
    If I was shopping within your parameters, there are three cars that would make it on my short list-

2008-2009 Nissan Altima 3.5SE (Coupe or Sedan)

2009-2010 Mazda6 s Touring/Grand Touring

2008-2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R

All of them are fast (0-60 in the low 6-second range or below), reliable (rated above average by Consumer Reports for reliability) and you can find them for around $20k with under 50k miles.

The Altima will be the most plentiful and easy to locate. The only thing I don't like about it is the CVT (rather than a conventional automatic transmission). But that's a personal preference and they sell like hotcakes anyway. It would be hard to go wrong with one of these.

My personal favorite would be the 2009-2010 Mazda6 s. It's the best looking (inside and out), best handling and most fun to drive of the bunch. It also has a sweet 272hp 3.7L V6 (courtesy of Ford) that pulls like a locomotive! =)

The Subie is also a great car, but harder to find. It has standard AWD and a probably the nicest interior of the bunch.

Hope this helps....good luck!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    You are basically looking at a full size, overbuilt car. GM or Ford, due to the price range and the desire for a higher power engine.

Front wheel drive...

The best car for you is to get a Buick Lucerne CXS, used.

It's as reliable as a tank, it's quick enough (Northstar V8 in it), and repairs are much much less than on a typical import. The suspension is also lifted from a Corvette (CXS model only), so it handles quite well. Prices are quite reasonable and if you get a low mileage one, it'll last ten years quite easily. The transmission on the first two years is also the older more reliable (and dirt cheap to fix) 4 speed automatic. With a V8 behind it, you don't need 5 or 6 gears as there's plenty of torque.

A second choice would be the Cadillac DTS, which is the softer suspension model of the same thing, basically. These can be had for well under $20K, used. These are basically a front wheel drive version of a police car, but without the stigma and ugly looks.

Note #1 - this coming from the most knowledgeable transmission person I know of in all of Los Angeles: The most reliable transmissions in the world (for passenger cars) are made by GM. The lowest cost and most reliable model from GM is the plain vanilla 4 speed automatic that they used for 20+ years in multiple cars. He's also the only person I know of who correctly identified the actual design problem with the Honda Odyssey's transmission, because he repairs them all the time. Yes, he's the guy everyone in the San Gabriel Valley (So Cal region) sends their transmissions to get rebuilt instead of replaced.

Note #2 - If you asked for a list of the most reliable engines in the world made in the last 20 years, from any actual automotive engineer, the Northstar V8 would be in the top five. The GM 3800 series would also be in the top ten of all time.

The key to reliability long-term is to choose a good engine, and reliable transmission, and to buy something that is overbuilt so that you barely stress it while driving it.

My dad's similar V6 powered Park Avenue Ultra is going on 16 years now. He did have to have the original transmission replaced at 15 years old (solenoids gave out, not actual wear). $1600. Hardly anything has gone wrong with it aside from minor crap like the power antenna and normal maintainance items that fail like water pumps and starters and so on as it got over ten years old and well over 100K miles.

Same story with most GM full-size cars. Big, last forever, and while the looks aren't great, the cars are very reasonable to own. The good thing about the Lucerne CXS and Cadillacs, though, is that the suspension is a lot better than a typical rental car. Also, the rental companies boughty exactly zero CXS models as they were $35K+ new.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=301211938
    Certified, $20K. Same story with the DTS - tons and tons of examples under $20K.
  • podunk1podunk1 Member Posts: 11
    Looking for a car for 17 year old son. The wrinkle is he'll be putting ~ 500 miles a week (20-25k/yr). This is 2/3 Highway 1/3 Country roads in Ohio Snowbelt. "Beater" sounds good in theory, but we also need safe in this case...and the beaters I'm seeing ain't lookin' too safe. Given the miles involved, a high mpg would be great, but we'll give that up over safety & price if necessary. Was hoping for $5-$6k. Any ideas?
    Probably my best suggestion is a Mazda Protege. Much much cheaper than the Hondyota equivalents and just as reliable. FWD takes care of the snow problem with good tires. Should be able to score one with quite low miles in your price range.

Can't get much for under $6k these days. If you want something with good fuel economy, one idea is a Saturn SL or SC. The steel cage construction is good for crash safety (for a small car), and you can find them under $6k with a lot of life left. If you can find a Protege in good condition, that would make a nice car for a teen also.

If you don't mind something bigger (more gas), you could look for something like a Taurus or Century or Malibu. Not exciting, but pretty safe and lots of them around for under $6k.
    We've been looking at the Protege (well the kid is hoping for a MazdaSpeed*..yea right) Haven't been able to secure one without massive frame issue from the rust...we abuse our roads with salt 9 months out of the year. But I'll definitely keep it on the radar. How old in years & miles do you estimate we can safely go? Thanks, really appreciate the input.
    Our indie mechanic was worried about turnaround time for Saturn parts. Figured we'd probably need a few things replaced...is this a valid concern or is he over reacting?

I'll look into the Century & Malibu, thanks. As long as we can get another 50k or so out of it I'll be satisfied.
    If you are near a GM dealership, should not be too hard. There's the salvage yards, plus when Saturn wound down GM paid suppliers to make parts that were unique to Saturns. If it's a concern, stick to something like the Taurus or Century or Malibu... lots of those sold, for many years.

As for salt... the Saturn SL and SC have those plastic body panels. ;)
    edited September 2011
    Well, 2003 was the last year for them, and those certainly fall within your budget. The LX models are crossing the block at auction right around $3k with 100k'ish miles. So $5k would be more than enough to buy one from a dealer. Find a private party and you should be able to score it for $4k. Lower miles the better, of course, and you just pay a little more.

Add about $700-$800 for an ES model.

A 2003 Level 2 Saturn Ion sedan with 100k'ish is right there at the same pricing as the Protege. Not a bad choice, but for the same price, I'm getting the Protege, personally.

Don't know what to tell you about the rust. You are just going to have to keep looking. Hell, buy out of state if you have to.

Was just talking this evening to my in-laws about their daughter turning 17 and needing her first car. Discussed the Protege and Saturn with them, too. I also have them looking for a 325i. Early '90s examples with low miles can also be had for the sub-$4k range. Not sure how those fare in your neck of the woods.

The previous generation Altima with stickshift and the 4 cylinder engine would be close to ideal. Yes, he may complain, but manual is a valuable skill to learn and he cannot get distracted as easily with a manual as he has to keep his eyes and ears (and hands) in sync the car.

A previous generation (or so) Accord with the same setup would also work well. Good mpg and a nice manual that's almost as easy as a video game to use.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    As an insurance agent, I get this sort of question all the time. Customers will ask my opinion on what vehicle they should get for their teenage kids. I keep a list of cars to recommend based (in order of importance) on safety, reliability, performance (as in "lack of") and fuel economy.

It amazes me how many parents gravitate toward SUVs (especially mid/full-sized ones) thinking they're the best choice of vehcile for their kid!?!? They have a high center-of-gravity, which makes them more prone to rollover and gives them the handling prowess of a parade float. Not to mention the liability risk created by putting a brand new driver behind the wheel of anything weighing close to 3-tons!

Here are the vehicles I recommend given your price range and fuel economy preference. All are rated 4/5-stars in frontal impact crash tests and rollover rating.

2004-2006 Ford Taurus or Mercury Sable - 20/27mpg with base V6, plenty on the market with under 100,000 miles for under $6k.

2003-2006 Toyota Corolla - 25/34mpg

2005-2007 Ford Focus - 23/31mpg

2003-2004 Honda Accord 4-cylinder - 21/31mpg - will have well over 100,000 miles in your price range, but not a concern if it has had proper maintenance.

2002-2005 Honda Civic
    (Coupe or Sedan) - 26/35mpg - also will have high miles, same as the Accord.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    That 2.5 4-cyl has a major issue of concern though. The precat disintegrates and shoots back into the head resulting in car fatality. I ruled them out of my searches for this reason.

Good luck finding a 2003-6 Corolla without very high miles for under $6k. Within 100 miles of me, there's two 2003 Corollas under $6k--barely under. One has 169k, the other 198k miles.

A 2005-6 Focus is more attainable under $6k, with relatively low miles (for this price range). For example, there's 3 of those within 100 miles of me, with between 110k and 135k miles.

No 2003-4 Accords under $6k within 100 miles.

4 2002-5 Civics under $6k, with miles ranging from 153k to 253k.

But 11 2004-6 Taurii, including 4 SEs and 1 SEL under 100k miles... one with only 88k miles for only $3995.
  • mattsk42mattsk42 Member Posts: 2
    Hmm... never thought of the Buick option, thanks for the tip! Lots of good info in your post.

Kind of a secondary question, anyone know anything about 2006 and newer years of Saab? Reliability?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I second the Buick option. Either a Century or used LeSabre. Even small towns will have mechanics who can work on them and parts are cheap. They have been very reliable. I have a son who currently has a '98 LeSabre, still going strong. Used Buicks are generally much cheaper than used Toyotas or Hondas and there are many out there.

There is a general shortage of used cars right now because people are keeping their cars longer. So a good route is to look for cars that are not that popular but are still reliable and good choices.

Saabs, I think repairs could be pricy.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Many of the Buicks tend to have lower mileage on them, because they haven't been driven all that much if owned by older drivers.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Run away from Saabs. Not reliable, very expensive to fix, hard to find qualified mechanics. And oh yes, the company is on the verge of becoming extinct. It's a shame, because at one point Saabs were noteworthy for their safety, performance and quirkiness. Now they are a poor choice when so many other car companies have figured out how to combine safety, performance and reliability.
    Thanks for the heads up on the 2012 model. I like the concept of an internet connected vehicle. I'm okay with it using my cell's data plan as I have sprint with unlimited data.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    I've got to agree on the no-go Saab option. When they run, they're fantastic, but when they start having problems, they can be an endless money pit. Many moons ago, this was not the case. I had a mid-80's Saab 900 that ran forever and needed no real work (and the work it did need was easy enough to do yourself).

Later, I had a Saab 9000. It hadn't hit 100K miles, and it was costing about $800/month in repairs, mostly repeat visits for transmission issues. You can lease just about any luxury car you desire for $800/month!!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    I'm giving another nod for the Protege. One of the best cars I ever owned. I beat the tar out of of that vehicle mileage-wise, had it for 4 years and put 82K-ish on it (bought it used with 17K on the clock), only had to replace the alternator. Best features: fuel economy, zippy manual transmission.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

We were warned away from the Altimas for this reason as well. Too bad because it was a car I could have lived with.
    I'm wondering if it's a regional thing with supply & demand. There's very little options within a 100 (sometimes 200 mile) radius for any of those cars unless they're very near 200k, or one good sneeze away from tranny failure :mad:

To comment on the SUV error: "been there done that never want to live thru it again". Put our oldest in a low mileage, company fleet, well maintained "bulletproof" Jeep. One morning she (and 3 other drivers on that road) hit snowdrifts blowing across the empty farm field..rolled it onto the roof, hit a phone pole, then rolled rear over front a few times before skidding 200 ft on the roof, hit the ditch & flipped upright. Airbags & seatbelts are wonderful creations. Not a scratch on her tho she felt like she went thru the Spin Cycle one too many times. As tempting as it is to get something BIG ...I'm trying to stick with a much lower center of gravity now.
    Get the Accord, if for no other reason that it has side curtain airbags and the Fusion doesn't. Accords at 94,000 miles are as tight or tighter than a Fusion at half the mileage. Plus your heart already told you that you want the Accord -- now with the safety bonus your head will go along, too.
    I've shopped for both lately and can tell you that the Fusions are going for about the same as Accords of the same year. Having driven the 2006 Fusion, I'd pick an Accord any day. The Fusion handles fine, but the 4 cylinder is weak and noisy. The car just doesn't feel like it's in the same league as the Accord. More recent Fusions may be better, and the Accord definitely has lost some competitiveness of late. But the 2003-2007 Accords are hard to beat. All models 2005 on have side curtains. The high-end 2003 and 2004 models did, too.
    Actually side curtain airbags weren't on all 2004 Accords either.
    I wouldn't buy a car -- especially a small car -- without side curtain airbags. Check out the IIHS/NHTSA sites to see how much worse drivers and passengers fare in a car without side curtains/side airbags. A lot of the suggestions fall in the range of cars that are otherwise great -- like the Protege -- but lack side protection. With interest rates being as low as they are, consider spending more than $6,000 to keep your child safe.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    :) A lot of teens are going to drive like race car drivers anyway, so you might as well train them well. Also, High performance driver's training isn't so much so they can grow up to be the next race car champ, but moreso for avoiding an accident with an emergency avoidance manuever and executing it flawlessly and safely. No need for airbags if you can avoid accidents.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    >>warned away from Altimas<<

Don't know where you heard that. Altimas have been a very reliable car. They would be a good choice but would be hard to find in the $6k range without a ton of miles on them.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Test drove the 2012 camry SE today with navigation and entune. The guy wanted $500 OVER invoice and was peanuts for my trade in. I walked out. The interior seems somewhat improved from 2011. The navi display unit has slightly inferior resolution compared to the hyundai elantra. However after installing an app on your cell phone you can use your phone's internet connection in the car which is cool (similar to ford sync I suppose). It took me a while to get the internet working in the car but it did finally. Incase anyone sees this thread in the future - you need to install the entune app on your cell and register on myentune (free registration). I think they give you 36 mos of free entune service. dunno what they'll charge after that. The voice recognition worked slightly better than the sonata bluelink. It was however slightly slower.

I still can't believe that 2012 models are still plagued by slow / poor resolution touch screen displays for navi/audio. It is nice to see that the trim comes with 90 days of free xm radio which worked fairly well. As the reviews indicated the steering is loose/weak. The i4 engine similarly (non cvt, I think) is probably more comparable to a hyundai elantra subjectively (i realize there is a horse power difference). Still quite noisy. Didn't test drive the v6. Despite all this I'd have considered purchasing it at the right price. The 0% 60 mos financing is for the 2011 model. No incentives/rebate for 2012 (atleast none that are announced per the dealership/or I could find). Along the same lines, I can't qualify for the $1000 recent college graduate promo either because they don't have a financing deal.
    That's a good point. Not many cars today available under $6k with all of the latest safety equipment including 6 airbags and ABS/ESC. A couple of years ago, you could get a lot more for that $6k.
    One nice thing about the last generation LeSabre is that the limited trim has a nice HUD which displays the speed. It's quite easy to keep from driving too fast. The leather, decent sound, and other features, like rear A/C vents are also nice. The bench seat option is preferred, though, as it keeps the front seat area much more clean and open feeling (and the center console is 90% as usable). Being able to fit 6 people in a pinch is a nice features as well, since you don't need a minivan.

The Park Avenue is all of that and a bit more luxury/options. If you have 3 kids, it will fit them in far more comfort, and the trunk is huge. It suffers 1 mpg for all of that extra size. It's about the same size and weight, and 0-60 time as a Crown Vic, but the engine gets 5-7mpg better economy (I've owned both, verified in actual real-world driving) . Really a win-win situation. Add in the fact that almost none were sold as rentals and 95%+ were sold to old people who hardly drove them, and it's a good used car to consider.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=296083311
    This is a typical example. In this case, you absolutely want a private party vehicle so that you can determine the history and get paperwork. Most owners will be elderly, be anal about their car, and have a book of paperwork an inch thick, since new. Just be sure to get the supercharger checked out first in the ultra model. They are known to die around 100-120K (not a defect, just wears out - blame Eaton, not GM) and are ~$600 to get a rebuilt one. That said, with a properly working supercharger, the Ultra is 240HP and crazy fast for its size. I'm driving my dad's Ultra currently (bought it from him) and it leaves Accords and Camrys in the dust as it generates most of its torque down low compared to the imports that have to rev their engines to death to get their maximum power. It jumps from, say, 20 to 50 far quicker as a result, unless they absolutely floor their accelerator.(I'm at half throttle by comparison) Pretty fun car for cheap, to run around in. :P
    No, but they were on all Accords that had leather seats (EX-L models), which the car in question did. All 2005 and later Accords had side curtain airbags.
    Backy, that is exactly why I ended up here asking the question. Right now I'm driving an extra 150 miles a day because it's been near impossible finding him a reasonable mileage safe car. 10000 miles in 4 months on my new car = blowing thru the warranty in around a year. It's a losing situation.

Back to the hunt..thanks
    Don't know where you heard that.

It isn't a big secret.

Here is the breakdown from MSN autos reliability ratings. It doesn't mention the precat failure I stated, but it does mention other problems, one of which can be fatal to the car.

As far as the precat failure, simply google "nissan 2.5 precat failure" to read all about it. Most info is in other forums, so I won't post the links here. Just know that it is a pretty major issue. By law, the emissions equipment is covered to 80k, so Nissan was covering many of these problems up until them. Obviously, at the pricepoint we're discussing here, such a car would most likely be out of warranty.

• placeboeffectplaceboeffect Member Posts: 11
    Hi there. I'm new here and haven't owned a car for 11 years so I'm *really* out of the loop.

My small family (myself, husband, and toddler) need to buy a used car in about ten days. We only have about $4500 total (tax and fees, etc) to spend. We don't need much. Good gas millage, good reliability, and four doors is all we need. I thought we needed something like a 2001/2002 Ford Focus, 1998/1999 Toyota Corolla, or a 1996/1997 Honda Accord. Based on my research using the Edmunds TMV I thought these would be good bets for our price range and for what we needed. I also thought that since these are popular cars there would be a lot of them on the market to choose from.

This has really not been the case. We live in San Francisco and every place I've contacted will come nowhere near the TMV value for these cars. I'm guess maybe they are so popular, the dealers don't have to worry about selling them. There's no need to give me the price I'm asking if they can sell it for 1-2K more tomorrow or next week.

I need some suggestions on what to do and where to start. What cars should I consider to get what we need at this price? I'm really at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    You might have to explore outside of San Francisco. Check in more "low-rent" districts like in the East Bay (Richmond comes to mind). You'll find more cheap cars in areas like that.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    The used car market post-tsunami has been much stronger than normal; prices are up everywhere. I doubt TMV has really accounted for that. Unfortunately, its not the best year to find a deal on a used car...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

scroll up and see the couple of pages prior to your post. Same suggestions apply. I've found quite a few nice Proteges for my niece for under $4k.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Ditto on the Protege...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Again, I'm going to recommend cheap and domestic. And I have the perfect cheap as dirt and reliable as a tank car for you. Nobody wants it, yet it's acceptable transportation what won't get stuck on those hills, either.

What is the one car that GM made that is the least desireable because of its image and because of the brand being "dead", yet it's mechanically reliable?

Look at a Pontiac Grand Prix. Get one with the 3.8L engine in it. It's the same old engine and transmission combo that GM made for 20+ years and it's pretty much trouble-free. Looks are a bit meh, but it gets good mpg ~26-28mpg highway, about 22-24mpg combined depending on how you drive it) and is fairly large and safe in a crash. Cheap as dirt to insure as well.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2606080221.html
    Typical private party example.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2620686240.html
    Or you can get this. It looks like it's well maintained and the car is very nice to drive. Expect 27-28mph highway as well - it's basically a Buick version of the Grand Prix. Much better on the eyes, though, and tons better inside.