Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• boyphpboyphp Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks,
    I just wanted to find out from the experts what they would choose in this scenario: price being the same for both cars - $3K

Chevy Malibu 1999 sedan
    Single owner
    119K miles

TOyota Camry 1996
    3 owners
    159K Miles

I'm sure the Malibu owner sure knows his stuff as the car was in pristine condition but the 2 things impacting my decision would be:

1-Resale value after 2 years
    2-Maintenance costs for the next 2 years

Thanks folks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You are worried about resale value in two years for a car you will pay $3k for? Why?

But the concern over maintenance costs is real. Pick the car that has the best condition, and most new/newer wear parts: brakes, shocks/struts, tires, exhaust system/converter, etc. Also if you can get maintenance records on either car that would be huge. You say the Malibu looks to be in pristine condition, so that might be very important. Is he the original owner, and has all the records?

If possible, have a good mechanic check out the car to make sure there isn't anything major wrong with it. Will cost you a few bucks but could save you a lot more.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Ditto what backy said.

In 2 years, the resale value is going to be pretty much independent of the make/model, and more related to the condition and mileage. If it still runs in 2 years, it's a $1500-ish vehicle, slightly more or less depending on wear & tear. If it doesn't run, it's a $500 vehicle for parts.

Have them both checked out, the pick the one you like the best.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I purchased at 1996 Avalon for my son two years ago. I did get the maintenance records with it. It had 151,000 on it. It needed struts and the valve cover gaskets replaced. At 175,000, still going strong.
  • mskitkamskitka Member Posts: 20
    Hello,

I really need help deciding what to lease as nothing I can afford is really standing out to me. Which is disappointing. I currently have a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L. It has low miles (23K) and I've had to have the brake pads fixed 3 times! To me, that is unacceptable. Honda dealers tell me they have fixed the brake issue, but then, they are trying to sell cars. I need to know from those who have a 2011/12 Honda if the brakes still squeal, etc. and have this issue.

The choices are:
    2012 Honda Accord coupe V6
    2012 Acura TSX 4 cyl.
    2012 Kia Optima SX
    2012 Buick Regal TURBO

The Kia is the only one I have not test driven. I would have loved to have gotten a Mustang V8, but can't afford the lease and the V6 was underpowered IMO. I also test drove the VW CC and was appalled at the amount of throttle lag. I can't believe Edmunds never commented on that in their review. To me, acceleration is unpredictable and unsafe. Again, would have leased a CC in a heartbeat but for that unseamless turbo. If anyone can recommend something I have not thought of, or if you feel that Honda has improved brake quality enough to recommend the V6, by all means do so! Basically I'm looking for something on the sportier side of handling with good safety.

Thank you for any suggestions...
    How about a Certified 2008 TSX? General opinion seems to be they are superior to the 2012s. Maybe you could find an Acura dealer that would do an even-up trade on your Accord... you just pay title/fees and you're on your way.

Or how about the new Mazda3 with Skyactiv? Great handling, peppy if not blistering, and up to 40 mpg EPA rating on the highway.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    edited October 2011
    Umm... well, if you have a low mileage Accord Coupe now, I have NO IDEA why you'd replace it with another. You are just asking for disappointment, IMHO.

I would have loved to have gotten a Mustang V8, but can't afford the lease and the V6 was underpowered IMO.

You lost me here, too. The 2012 V6 Mustang will run circles around all the other cars you listed. Did you drive a 2011??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The tsx would win my vote hands down. Upscale, reliable, comfortable, holds its value.

Have you test driven the other cars in your list?
    edited October 2011
    I have test driven everything but the Optima. I test drove the V6 and it was fun, perhaps the dealer did have me drive a 2011. However, my 190 hp Accord outran a Mustang V6 believe it or not! The reason I am replacing the car is because basically it isn't my choice. My father is helping me out and he is calling the shots. What we are dealing with here is a chronic leasee and therefore he apparently is getting me into his situation since I'm not able to do this on my own unfortunately. I have been trying to seek out a different model car this whole time then the Accord, but again, nothing has really grabbed me except the stronger engines that are obviously more difficult to afford. Maybe I need to re-drive the Mustang and make sure its a 2012.

Other then that, I have to say the TSX's suspension felt the sturdiest, if maybe a little bland in the feel of the drive. Remember, I'm looking at the 4 cylinder not the 6. Thank you everyone for the feedback! Much appreciated.
    The 2011 and earlier stang V6 was a very antiquated 4 liter 240hp lump. The 2012 is a completely new 300 hp (meaning as much power as the previous GT model), does 0-60 in well under 6 secs (no stock Accord ever built can touch it), AND gets 30mpg highway. Its a pretty impressive "entry level" package.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

So I made sure I test drove a 2012 V6 this time. It was a lot of fun! I really liked it, but now I have to see if I can even afford a lease on it, as Ford isn't really kind in this area. If I can't afford it, back to the drawing boards....
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Plus, it's inexpensive. Though, you really do want one with manual unless you are so weak and old that you can't use your left leg. The difference between the manual and automatic in the Mustang is dramatic, to say the least, in city driving. So much so that I'd drive a manual over an automatic and I live in Los Angeles.
    I personally would only have a manual on my as yet tbd weekend high performance car.

For daily driving a modern automatic does the job, gets better mileage and is much easier to contend with in traffic.

After driving a manual for 12 years, I gave it up due to the congestion. It wasn't worth on the clutch off the clutch every 3 inches.
    Nah, it's technique. :P You have to seriously get into the "I don't care" big trucker mode.

Pick a gear. stay in it and ignore the surrounding traffic during a jam. Stay7 in 1st or 2nd gear and shift as little as possible. Ignore distance between yourself and the cars around you. That is, don't care about if it's 10 or 30 ft between you and the car in front.

Traffic jams are a snap. The last one I was in I shifted a total of 6 times in 30 minutes.
    Pick a gear. stay in it and ignore the surrounding traffic during a jam. Stay7 in 1st or 2nd gear and shift as little as possible. Ignore distance between yourself and the cars around you. That is, don't care about if it's 10 or 30 ft between you and the car in front.

Yup. I practice this as well. You also have to avoid the temptation to upshift when you know you'll just be slowing down again. I almost never have to use 1st in traffic.

I hear what you are saying, but it's not worth it at this point in my life. Get in the shifting while you can, because soon even this will be gone as the govt will make it impossible for car companies to sell cars where the emissions and/or mileage doesn't make the cut.
  • marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    FWIW, I have a 2009 TSX, and have had to replace the rear brake pads twice, rear rotors warped/replaced once ($700 total in brake repair costs), and the car only has 34k miles. It also feels underpowered to me, lots of hesitation in the transmission, imo. The dealer said that was normal. I don't believe I will get another one when my lease is up. I can't recommend it, but maybe the brake problems have been fixed in the 2012 model, who knows. It's a really pretty car.
    There's hundreds of stories like that for every car manufacturer on the road. My prior BMW was the best in terms of ownership experience, go figure.

When you buy any car you gamble with reliability. I have more than a few bookmarked posts where posters have complained long and loud about supposedly reliable cars.
    I understand what you're saying kdshapiro. However, it's interesting to hear that and something I've seen is a problem with Acura's, at least the TSX's. This is the same problem with my Honda. They do have an issue with the pads wearing down too fast compared to other car manufacturers, Honda/Acura. It's the only problem I had with my car, but 3x changed under 23K miles is a bit much.

It's safe to say that even though every car co. will have a lemon handed out here and there, if the majority of consumers have had similar negative issues with a car, we should probably listen ;) As for the clutch issue, I hear you on the coasting concept, but I have knee problems, so until I can afford a weekend car, tiptronic it is for daily needs! Needless to say I'm a car purist at heart, and there is no denying the feel of the road with a manual.
  • marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    Apparently the problems with the 2009 TSX brake pads are widespread enough that there was a class action lawsuit, which Acura settled. Something about the type of pads used. If you google it you'll find lots of information. But, even after the bad pads on my car were replaced with the so-called good pads, I still had to have them replaced again within 6 months, plus the warped rotors. The dealer couldn't explain why the rotors warped, said it was not due to the pads, just happens sometimes, normal wear and tear. I did get a $150 reimbursement on the pads by filing a claim under the class action (which the dealer didn't mention to me, I found out about it when I started researching the brake problems, after spending $700). I would like to know if the brake problems have been addressed since 2009. I've been looking at other cars, but it is hard to beat the TSX on value, it's just a nice car for the money, except for the brakes.
  • jjbro1jjbro1 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I'm trying to decide between a 2012 Subaru legacy, and a 2012 Toyota Camry SE. My friend works at a subaru dealer and he said he could get me a leather wrapped legacy for around 24k OTD. But I'm not sure if that's with a nav and a sunroof. The awd is nice but I don't think I'll use it much. The legacy is roomy too which is especially good for me since I'm very very tall. I really like the look of the new camry and I was offered a little bit over 27k OTD with nav backup camera sun roof but no leather. I'm somewhat of a tech guy so the iPod features and pandora and bing apps in the Camry really have me excited. The Camry however is pretty expensive for me. I've heard that camrys haven't been all that reliable in the past and I don't know too much about subarus. Which car has the best resale value? Based on personal experiences and word of mouth which of these two cars should i get?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited November 2011
    Hey, I'm somewhat middle aged & weak on my left side and can't use my left leg to shift due to my on the job injury so I'd have to say go with the auto Mustang if that's what you'd like. But in this case, I'd go with the 2008 TSX and be done with it...a very sweet ride with all the bells & whistles...unfortunately your situation obviously is different. The Mazda3 with the Skyactive engine would probably be the lowest priced car for ya & they are fun cars to toss around...we own an S model and it's a hoot to drive!

Shame you can't get off the leasing merry go round as one never owns anything this way. Sometimes a CPO car is the way to go with it's great warranty in most cases...just a thought. Good luck with whatever you end up with...remember, you need a reliable car you can enjoy!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I don't know where you heard Camry's weren't reliable, but it's not an accurate statement. I personally do not look at reliability ratings when I buy a car, because I realize the car I get could be a lemon despite a perfect 100 score by JD Powers.

My "unreliable" XT now has 80K miles on it and the only warranty repair is the seat flipper downer thingy in the rear. I also "heard" Subarus were unreliable, especially if one has a turbo.

Nobody can tell you what to do. If you "heard" Camrys are unreliable you should keep that in mind when deciding your purchase decisions.
  • nancymjnancymj Member Posts: 1
    I recently drove a Subaru Legacy, which I thought was the car I wanted to buy, on a second test drive. Loved the handling, but I just couldn't get comfortable in the seats. I'm 5-1, but my 6-1 husband couldn't get comfortable either. Take the Legacy on a long test drive before you buy. I'm older and have some orthopedic issues (the price of an active life), so perhaps if you're younger you won't be bothered. But it's hard to tell how comfortable you are in a 15-minute test drive.
    My mother has 90K on her LeSabre and it has had virtually nothing go wrong with it, either.

That said, Toyota never has made a very reliable V6 engine, and their automatic transmissions are upwards of $4K for a replacement. Their claim to fame, worldwide, has always been 4 cylinder cars and their manual transmissions. If you get one with both, you'll have the doors rust off before it dies. Honda also is similar in that I'd take a 4 cylinder Accord over the V6 as the 4 is better.
  • npolitenpolite Member Posts: 33
    What the dealer may tell you as "warped rotors" may or may not be warped. Honda pads are known for material buildup on the rotors which will show symptoms the same as rotors that are warped.

Your option is to get new rotors and 3rd party pads (Autozone's Gold CMAX brake pads, Hawks or EBC Greenstuff) or live with it. I have been living with this issue for a good part of over 10 years on various Hondas. I may switch but I would prefer silent pads over even the slightest squealing which at least most Honda pads do not do.

You should really learn to change these yourself. They are simple to do and will then ask yourself why are you paying $150 labor to do something you can do in 30-60 minutes on your own.
    I definitely don't agree about the Toyota. I know several people who have 4s and 6s north of 150k miles without a hitch. I don't know how much Toyota Camry trannies cost, I never knew anyone who needed them.

From my observations about American cars in my opinion reach a point and then they fall apart (I still think I'm thinking of the old GM). Maybe it's not true in 2011, but there is no American car I'm interested in as a daily driver.

Although my son just bought a Focus, which I really like.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    That said, Toyota never has made a very reliable V6 engine

I would disagree with that. Outside of recent recalls, Toyota's are extremely reliable, V6 engines included.

I would not hesitate to buy V6 equipped Toyota if reliability was the only factor I was considering.
    Although my son just bought a Focus, which I really like.

I really like the build quality of the Focus. It's really impressive. Back seat is a little tight, though.

How is the fuel economy?
    Agreed on the back seat. Fuel economy is very good. He gets north of 28 in a mix of driving.
    edited November 2011
    "Doors rust off before it"...where do you come up with this stuff? All the folks we know with Toyota's, either 4 or 6 cylinders, just love their cars and have almost no complaints. All our previous Toyota's were fine cars though the brakes were not their strong suit. Some of your remarks sound,... well really stupid sometimes. I'm no genius here, but I'm dumbfounded by some of your automotive comments. Do you just make things up as you go along or what? I'm so confused here!
    And I'm not trying to be rude here either...so don't take offense!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited November 2011
    Test drove the Focus last week and was very impressed...very impressed! And this is high praise coming from a strictly import buyer. The SEL in the aqua marine color with the stone leather thrones was an awesome looking ride, something I would buy tomorrow if I needed a new car. But I must agree with KD that the back seat room could be a bit bigger, especially for taller folks like my kids. Job well done Ford...I even bought some shares of stock in the company, this is how impressed I was! This will be a possible contender in 2013 for my wife's next car, absolutely on our short list!

Yes, yes and yes. It was a Civic beater hands down. I think Ford made a nice niche with the 2012 Focus, I was impressed with it. And it comes with a lot of goodies, which, well add to the price. But you can at least get them.
    Only 28 in mixed driving?!? OMG, that's like, what, a whole 10% less than the EPA number for combined driving?! Is your son beside himself with anger and grief about Ford misleading him like that?! Maybe he could sue Ford for mis-representation!!

:);)

Sorry. That just kinda came out.
    Toyota's V6s throughout its history have been rather hit and miss. Certainly nothing special. GM, especially, managed to always do better in fuel economy and power out of their same displacement models. In many cases, the Toyota V6s were only a little more powerful than their 4s. 30-40 extra HP out of the V6, yet slower to rev and another 250-300lbs of dead weight to the equation.

The newest Toyota GZ series engines are good. But you really do want to avoid the older VZ (gutless and prone to mechanical issues) and MZ engines (sludge, other issues), which are in many models until 2006-2008 or so, so that affects a lot of CPO and similar models that people might consider without realizing that they are potentially getting into transmission (somewhat unavoidable) *and* engine issues as the car ages.

But their 4 cylinder engines are great. As are their few inline 6 engines. And as for manuals, my last Toyota ate its input bearings and 4th gear sprocket at ~340K miles. $1200 for a brand new manual (not rebuilt) and I was good to go again. The clutch was $150 for the part.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >But their 4 cylinder engines are great.

Isn't there a pattern of the 4-cylinder engines having head gasket leaks causing cooling system problems? The guy up the road that does off-the-record auto repairs in his garage gets a couple of those a year that he'll diagnose for friends.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Pot stirrer! ;)
  • vhl71vhl71 Member Posts: 9
    I'm on the market for a luxury Car. I like the drive of E350 but hate the exterior design. Its too old for my liking. I like the E350Coupe as its a lot sportier, but with 2 kids, it's not practical

Test drove A7, like the drive, but its kinda pricey (A6 - my wife doesn't like the look)

Also looked at inifiniti M series, not too impressed with the price and what I get.

Haven't been to the BMW dealer yet.

Here is what we need:

Something that looks great and sporty, all wheel drive, with reasonable power.

Any advise
    S60 T6 AWD.

Back seat is smaller than most, however. Could look at the S80, but it is due for a redesign. Volvo's interiors are better than Infiniti's.

Also might take a look at the CTS.

What is your budget?
    Around 70K..

What do people think about the new genesis sedan?
    I read some good reviews on it comparing it to the a6 or E series.
    edited November 2011
    Try checking out the Genesis thread. You will probably get good advise there.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f2336e3/0!make=Hyundai&model=Genesis&ed_m- - akeindex=.f2336e3
    70k?

Get a CTS and laugh at the idiots who buy big bloated road sofas with European badges. And save about 30K in the process, since you can get a previous year model now for about 35K pretty easily.
    I personally would stay away cpo cadillac, but that's me.
    The CTS is a drastic departure for GM and is one car that is worth buying new. It'll handle better and go faster that 99% of normal people can deal with and it's a lot less expensive than Mercedes and BMW's offerings.

No, it's no 3 series. But it handily beats the E class and 5 series in price and overall usability. Plus, repairs are a lot less expensive. Add in a good interior and looks that make it clear from two blocks away that you're not driving a jellybean-mobile. Remember the days when everyone knew what brand you drove a quarter mile away?

It's worth a look at least.

P.S. If you have that much money, there's also the CTS-V, but it's quite honestly a bit silly.
    Just talked to the dealer on CTS. The 3.6l AWD model with loaded option comes to about 61k.

I"m in Canada so the prices are more than the US

I thought 61k foe a caddy is a bit too much. I could probably get a A6 for around 70k. Or a BMW 535

AnyWAY I'm going to take the caddy for a drive on Saturday

What do u guys think of the price?
    You can get the 3.0L model and save a TON of money. The 3.6 is a better car, but it's also completely absurd as well outside of Europe, since Canada has fairly low speed limits.

The 3.0L has 270HP and is more than enough.

For a 2011 CTS 3.0L AWD Luxury (quoted via truecar), it's $36,769. That's in USD, but it gives you a good idea of how much less you can get one for. For a same trim 2012 with the 3.6L engine, they quote $47,959 - a bit over $11K more.

Based upon a few sites I found in Canada that were similar, you should be looking at about $45-47K for the same car in Canada.
    You didn't say new you said used. I would buy a new CTS with an extended warranty plan.
    No, I said that you should find a 2011 model that's still not been sold. You never buy the newest year's model if the previous one that's still left on the lot is available for a significant discount. And GM does give pretty good year-end discounts.
  • danf67danf67 Member Posts: 5
    I am trying to find a used sedan that gets good gas mileage and was thinking about a Honda Accord, due to their fuel economy and reliability.

I have found a few '09 EX-L's that I would be interested in, with mileage in the low $20k's and prices around $18k. This would be with the 4-cylinder and I think 190hp engine.

I have since read some reviews and noted that there are premature brake wear issues with this vehicle and there was even a class action lawsuit filed and won. This has me rethinking my choice.

I have heard that there are remedies for the brake problem, but I want to know if the remedy is effective or not and what aI should ask the dealer about the situation. The sale people I have asked either don't know anything or they are lying and claiming they don't know anything about it.

Does anyone have an information regarding this situation?

Are there other "similar" cars that I would be better-off considering?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.