Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    edited January 2012
    My personal recommendation would be an IS300 with manual transmission. It's going to drive worlds better than an Accord and it's as close to a Japanese E36 as ever was made. Just it won't break your bank keeping it running. Yes, it's not a large car, but it's very good and whether it fits you or not really depends upon the seat and steering wheel layout. Some people who are as tall as you have to problems, some don't fit. It's worth at least sitting in and trying out.

My second choice would be a 2004 Pontiac GTO with manual. Big, RWD, loads of fun, and 30mpg highway. Just that year and transmission combination, though. In 2005, they moved to a new engine and transmission and killed the MPG right into the floor (average 5 mpg drop!). But for $10-12K, you can get essentially a Corvette that seats 4 people and just looks different on the outside. ;)

Fast, total "sleeper", and way more fun than you'd believe. As for the car, it was made in Australia, so quality is actually very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Monaro
    Note at the bottom where it got Top Gear's muscle car award.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    edited January 2012
    The IS300 may be more fun than an Accord, but servicing due to Lexus parts will be expensive. In addition, the op never said if there is a climate issue, eg snow, that might preclude some RWD mitigation.

I would stay away from Pontiac, there is a reason they are no more. An 8 year old GTO is just begging to separate you from your money. And what about that in-town mileage? Driving the LIE or the 405 rush hour not likely to win the Prius economy awards.

Maybe a Subauru AWD is needed? They can be fun to drive, less expensive than IS and more reliable then Pontiac.
    edited January 2012
    The IS300 is actually the least expensive Lexus, ever, when it comes to servicing it. It's not as hideous as you'd think, and the thing really does last forever before breaking down.

With that GTO, it was the last year that they put the LS1 engine in pretty much anything. All of the kinks were worked out, and the thing is bulletproof. The issues came from the new engine and 50 extra HP in the 2005+ models. And idiots who added extra HP and then wondered why their rear ends blew out. 350HP and 30mpg highway was awesome and GM should have left it alone.

With manual, it's super easy to skip a few gears and get good mpg in-town. It's not stellar, but it's certainly a lot better than most other full-size cars. And a LOT better than the Magnum he mentioned.

note - since he mentioned a Dodge Magnum, I figured RWD was not a problem, and neither was crazy high MPG. He probably just doesn't want to be stuck with 18-19mpg like most of these boats deliver.

I'll add another option for him, which IS inexpensive and reliable, if a bit boring. He should look at a 2005 Park Avenue. It'll give him 23-24 mpg combined (19/28 window sticker), and is a very solid car. It's one of the few cars from that era that GM essentially over-built. It's certainly a lot nicer to drive than a Camry, and the seats are superb.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited January 2012
    the mazda3, previous mazda6, and S60 won't cut it from a roominess perspective if his first post is any indication of what his needs/wants truly are.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited January 2012
    you can't get a G8 for the OP's budget. I checked because that crossed my mind, too.

As for the GTO, I have a feeling a coupe is not in the cards for someone looking at a Magnum.

The OP hasn't been back since posting the query, so I'd guess we are all answering a ghost.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Whenever I travel I rent a Camry, except when I rented the g37 and CTS. I really enjoy driving it around. I would choose a newer Camry over an older Buick any day.
  • endurancemomendurancemom Member Posts: 8
  • endurancemomendurancemom Member Posts: 8
    I have the choice between 3 cars listed below that I'm considering. This will be for our 18yr old who will mainly use for school and work, occasional weekend 1-2hr longish trips.

99 Saturn SL2 4-D 97000 miles. Owner says has new transmission. Has engine light on, though owner says that's only due to the locking gas cap he installed. Test drive went very well. Car could use a good cleaning. Didn't appear to need any repairs or maintenance in the near future. Was willing to go down to $1850 for it. Young driver probably early 20's.

00 Saturn SL2 4-D 134000 miles. Owner won't budge under $2000. Appeared in great shape - no engine lights on - only "oddity" was a slight whistling type of sound I heard coming from engine area when driving. Almost like a person whistling type of sound, or a sound where you are using a ham radio, but the radio wasn't on and the windows were up. Rode nice - just had that sound.

99 Lumina 4-D 113000 miles. 2 owner car, very well maintained and in nearly immaculate condition. Asking $2000 - may go to $1700. The only thing I could tell it needed was 2 newer tires. Also, when you shift out of and into park that bar felt very stiff (automatic car - bar that you pull to get in/out of park, drive, reverse).

Our daughter is tiny - maybe 5'2" and maybe 110 lbs. She works at Panera Bread and her hours vary. She's concerned about affording the gas but ultimately wants something that just gets her where she's going. I want something I don't have to worry about fixing a bunch of things on. Currently she is driving our 2001 Chrysler Town and Country and we all know that's NOT good on gas lol....

Read more: http://forums.automotive.com/70/9012325/what-car-should-i-buy/saturn-or-lumina/i- ndex.html#ixzz1kOjBHjkT
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Has engine light on, though owner says that's only due to the locking gas cap he installed.

Danger, Will Robinson!

Do you know this person--well? If not, don't trust anything they say.

On any of these cars, spend a few dollars and get the car inspected by a reputable mechanic. Could cost you big bucks later.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Other suggestions are welcome - I sent this person from elsewhere to get help here. They have owned an SL2 and found it solid... but, obviously they're seeking a bargain vehicle for a kid (kudos, I say, for not feeling the obligation to splash out on a teen car).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited January 2012
    Would YOU trust a private seller who says, "Don't worry about the check engine light, it's only because of the gas cap"?

I was trying to be helpful in recommending an expert mechanical opinion of any of these cars. But if I am forced to choose one to recommend, I'd go with the Saturn that appears to have been taken care of the best... and then I'd take it to a mechanic for a look-see, with the sale contingent on what they find.
    You absolutely need to get her a car with a manual transmission. Even if she complains.

Besides the vastly lower cost to fix, and get better gas mileage, the skills she will learn will be incredibly useful. Most of all, though, she'll have to spend time and attention on DRIVING. Both hands occupied, listening to the machine, and knowing how to really and truly operate it.

Now, you seem to like GM. That's fine, but the problem is that GM cars of that era are plainly only a tiny bit better than a Chrysler as the electrical and accessory parts start to cause big bills as they approach 15 years. What you need is solid, reliable, and inexpensive. Manual, of course, is preferred, as is an under $2K price(apparently).

You need to go old. Really older. You need a bulletproof tank that is cheap and was overbuilt. ie - a "classic", or one that will be in a decade or so, but that isn't right now.

A perfect example is a late 80s to early 90s 4Runner with manual and a 4 cylinder engine. It's dead simple to run, big and safe, and hauls stuff. Cheap as dirt to fix, as well. Literally half the cost or less of those Saturns. My old one that I had made it to nearly 400K before I sold it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/2813393967.html
    This is a typical example. Any money you put into it to keep it running will be minor or amounts that she can afford.

Also consider small/midsize trucks:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/2807963015.html
    Gets 18/23. Not bad, considering.

Another good example is a 1990-1993 (last year made) Volvo 240. These are bulletproof, safe, and amazingly fun to drive with stick. Good MPG, and superb seating and driving position and feedback. Airbags were standard starting in 1990, so it's a real hidden low-cost gem. Repairs are dirt cheap as well since they re-used components for roughly 25 years in the 100/200 series. The Volvo 940 is essentially the exact same vehicle with a fancier interior.

Of course, I'd spend more money and just get something like this:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2813774414.html

$3500 will get you a decent and pretty new vehicle. Yes, it's a dealer posing as a private party, but dealers can be good as they HAVE to make sure it passes basic safety and smog before selling it.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    You absolutely don't have to get a manual transmission. WTF??? You should get what she is comfortable with. I would not get a car from the 80's as they do not have the safety elements of later cars, especially air bags. Manual transmission cars are very hard to sell if you want to get rid of it later. Any of these cars might be good possibilities but with their mileage I would get them all checked out by a mechanic you trust. "Doesn't appear" is not a good gauge as many problems aren't apparent on sight or even drive. Won't the Saturns be better on fuel economy than the Lumina? I'm not sure I'd trust any Chevy of that age. Are these your only options? If she's small, an older Corolla will be very reliable, easy to drive and great on gas mileage. Will cost a bit more than these though because they are better cars to begin with. One Chevy that might work is the Chevy Prism -- essentially a Corolla and would be more in that price range but they are harder to find.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • mmanusamammanusama Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the market for a new car but need help finding a sedan to suite me. I am 6'6, and I was looking at midsize SUV's, but I am not impressed with the choice out there, and am looking for gas mileage. I can fit comfortably in most sedans listed here, mainly the sonata. I was looking at getting either the Sonata or Altima based on price and what you get for it, but the main features I am looking for are sunroof, technology (hands free calling, ipod connectivity, address book integration), remote start,gas mileage, and drive. I love the new Passat, but feel it is out of my price range for all the additional features I want in a car. So im assuming I've slimmed it down to a Sonata Ltd., and an Altima 2.5s with all the features added on (speed isnt a necessity, so 6cyl/turbo arent needed.)

Can anybody recommend which car is better for the money? Altima or Sonata? Also, if they have heard of Passat's being sold in that price range? Thank you very much in advance!
    My comment wasn't meant to knock on your advise - sorry if it seemed that way. I agree with the 'check engine light' comment too. My comment was meant to encourage anyone who wished to do so to offer up other vehicle ideas in addition to commenting on those selected.

I strongly disagree with the suggestion of purchasing an SUV or truck for a new driver. Handling can be tricky. Insurance can be higher. The goal is to be safe and save money.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited January 2012
    I think an SL2 CAN be a good buy, but I certainly wouldn't get either of those without knowing exactly what is wrong. Reading the code for that CEL is as easy as taking it to a local chain shop like Autozone or Pep Boys.

Run away from anything that exhibits transmission problems of any sort. I can't tell you why that shifter is sticking (possibly just a worn interlock, but you never know), but it could leave her stranded.

my alternative suggestion is one I have given a number of times ... find a Protege. There are many out there for $2500 or less.

• mr_gonemr_gone Member Posts: 50
    I would get her the safest possible vehicle you could for the money and see if there's any way you can help out with the extra cost for the gas if need be. Those Saturns are not going to be nearly as safe as your minivan, just from a weight and size perspective.

My daughter is 17 and 5-3, so I know what you're facing. See if you can locate a Taurus or other relatively sizeable American vehicle with plenty of airbag protection and perhaps high miles to keep the cost down, but have a mechanic look it over. (An American vehicle won't carry the price premium of an equivalent Japanese version.)

Eventually, the used car market will be saturated with cars that have a good level of safety equipment. But for now, there are a lot of cars that are reliable, economical and potential death traps. When somebody loses control of his SUV or pickup, you want to make sure your daughter has as much protection around her as possible if he's heading her way.
    I think the answers you will get will depend on whether the poster is a Sonata or an Altima fan (or passionately hates both). They both have strengths and weaknesses. I have driven the Altima 4 cyl and really liked it, and I have several friends who have them and love them. But I'm sure Sonata folks would say the same. Your best bet is to drive each and see what you like, and read professional reviews such as Consumer Reports and the ones at Edmunds. Both should be very reliable long-term and both have lots of features and good fuel economy.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    I beleave both cars are about the same as far as ride & room. Altima is said to get better mpg. I try to buy the car with better trade in value when am looking at more then 1 car. If you are going to drive this car tell it dies. I would go with Sonata. 100000 mile warranty for free. :) Price is cheaper with Sonata but no trade in value! :surprise: Altima better trade in. But cost more up front.
    Altima better trade in. But cost more up front.

From what I've seen, that is outdated. Sonata prices, and resale values, have shot up in the past couple of years. What I see in my area is Altima prices undercutting Sonata prices, for new cars.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Agree--big mistake buying a manual transmission if the girl's not used to it. I also agree on the $2000 Saturn.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    From what I've seen, that is outdated.

In a way, yes. Nissan has too much inventory right now. Nissan was bragging about how many cars they had in inventory, now it's a problem.

I have a good relationship with one of the largest Nissan dealers in CT and he has had a terrible month and is giving away new Nissan Altima's starting at $17,995.
    Exactly. Try getting a Sonata GLS AT for $18k these days.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    edited January 2012
    Have any of you actually owned a Korean car? I have and will not for a long while. There is a reason why they need a 100k powertrain warranty. You will be taking it in often and Kia / Hyundai dealers are nowhere near as nice as a Honda or Toyota dealers. You won't get a courtesy car and realistic resell value is much lower, especially with high mileage. Just wait till new Sonata's start hitting the market with high mileage. The 100k warranty does not transfer to the 2nd owner for a reason...., and the reality is Korean cars sell for much less then Honda's. You don't hear about Korean cars going 200,000 miles and their is a reason why. Also, repairs are often lengthy as they do not stock parts very well and in general they start falling apart after 100,000 miles. My last Korean vehicle visited the dealer 12 times in 48,000 miles before I got rid of it at a 70% loss. It was not a lemon either, just another example of the common problems that arise from cheap and poorly designed parts.
    Think of this from simple economics. Imagine you are the parents and you are about to purchase a car for only $2000 that's almost 15 years old with an automatic in it. What are the chances that it will die in the next year or so and cause a massive bill? The idea of a manual is to keep the car as frugal and easy to fix as possible. Reselling the car isn't a factor, either, at this level of money. You put an add on it after a year of driving it for $1500 and it's gone in 48 hours. Done. Spending $2000 an a vehicle that sees such light use and may end up costing you $2500 to fix the transmission at any time seems a bit odd to me.

Add in aging AC, a radiator that's almost certainly on its last legs (DexCool - you have been warned), a worn starter, crumbling electrical components and relays... That Saturn is going to be a money pit. As are most GM cars at this age. The only exception that I can think of is one of the Toyota clones that GM re-badged. A Vibe (Matrix), for instance, is a fine choice, and as far as cheap goes, a base model Prism (Corolla).

But only because you can get one that's literally got nothing on it to fail. For $2000 you need to be thinking stone-age simple and cheap as dirt to run and insure.

Note - the Volvo 240 I recommended has airbags and ABS standard in 1993. It's famous for being nearly indestructible. And a lot of elderly people owned them, so finding one that's in good shape would be easy enough. Repairs are cheap and any mechanic can fix one. The Wagons are nice because she can haul stuff as well when she needs to. I owned one a few years ago and it had over 300K miles on it and still ran very well.
    Over the past 11-1/2 years I've owned 3 Korean cars--all Hyundais. I still own 2 of them (2004 and 2007), and my sister still has the other one. My experience has been:

* I've never needed to use the powertrain warranty--but I'm glad to have it.
    * All cars were very reliable. There were a few little things that needed to be taken care of, under warranty, e.g. squeaky clutch pedal on my first Hyundai, hatch struts needing replacement on my 2nd Hyundai, and a faulty power recliner on my 3rd Hyundai. But nothing major on any of them. The oldest car has over 100k on it, the 2004 has about 70k on it and still drives like new, as does the 2007 with about 55k on it. I haven't had trouble with length of repairs, my dealer has given me what I consider to be professional and courteous service (and they give me free oil changes every 3750 miles plus free shuttle service), and they have possibly the nicest dealership in the area as far as physical plant (maybe not as nice as the MB dealer next to it, but then I didn't pay MB prices for the cars).

Based on KBB figures, my 2004 car is worth about 50% of what I paid for it... and it's 8 years old! And my 2007, purchased used in 2009, has dropped in value only about $1000 in over 2 years.

I have heard of Korean cars going 200k+ miles. Too bad you had such a bad experience with your Korean car.
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    Ok buy a Korean car Hyundai or Kia. Drive it for 2,3 or even 4 years. No mader how many miles on car. You will never get what u owe on trade in. We owned a 2002 & 2003 KIA. Bought new.
    I have been the parent of three young adults (now in 20's and 30's). In high school two of them got automatics and were fairly old. No transmission failed. I was able to sell both cars for a decent price a couple of years later. Oldest son wanted a manual transmission. Also sold it a couple of years later -- but it took twice as long -- it's not as simple as "slapping an ad on it", believe me. And the two who had the automatics? Each also replaced them with auto transmission cars -- one a '99 Toyota and one a '98 Buick LeSabre. Both cars still going strong, over 140,000 miles, and no transmission trouble. As long as you get them checked out and buy a car known for reliability, auto transmissions are not a guaranteed future problem. Frugal and easy to fix were characteristics of all of these cars. The next priority should be a car she feels comfortable driving and can maneuver safely. That will vary depending upon the person.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Kias in 2002 and 2003 were pretty crappy cars. They deserved their low resale value. But this is 10 years later. A lot has happened to the quality and resale values of Korean cars in the past decade.

But please, please folks, do NOT buy Korean cars... especially Hyundais! That will help keep the prices down for folks like me who think they are pretty darn good cars here in 2012. ;)
    edited January 2012
    Just wait till you try to trade in your Korean car. KBB and NADA are not realistic. Dealers use the Black Book and most of them don't want Korean vehicles. They won't give you anywhere close to what you think it is worth. You pay for what you get. Are Korean vehicles better then they were 5 - 10 years ago? Yes. Are they at the quality and reliability of Honda and Toyota? Absolutely not.

The Korean dealerships here in PR are so full repairing cars that the wait time to schedule your car to get fixed averages 10 days. I can tell you also that their suspensions do not hold up like Japanese cars. In PR we have a lot of rough roads, pot holes, etc., and you you can ask any Kia or Hyundai owner how many times they have had bushings and struts go out.

Check out this list of best used cars by consumer reports. A Korean car appears on there once...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/used-cars/cr-recommended/best-and-worst-- - used-cars/overview/best-and-worst-used-cars.htm
    From Consumer Reports:

"Overwhelmingly, the best values come from Japanese automakers, including most of the top models in the categories. (See Best & worst values.) Of the 48 best values in our lists, 34 are from Japanese brands. Six models come from European brands (mostly Volkswagen), five come from American ones (mostly Ford), and three are from South Korean automakers."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/buying-advice/best-values/overv- iew/index.htm
    edited January 2012
    There's only one Korean vehicle, the obsolete Sedona, on CR's list of Worst Vehicles. So much for your assertion that Korean vehicles are very, very bad.

As for CR's opinions on new Korean cars:

* A Korean car (Genesis) is preferred by CR over the like-priced Lexus car. Both are among the highest-scoring vehicles CR has tested.
    * A Toyota is one of the lowest-scoring vehicles in CR's tests. There are no Korean vehicles in CR's list of Lowest Scorers.
    * There's 8 Korean cars that CR recommends in its "under $25k" list. There's only 5 Hondas and Toyotas. The new Civic was so poor in CR's tests, they didn't even recommend it.

Welcome to 2012, where the Japanese brands no longer have the advantage in quality they once had. But then, Korean vehicles no longer have the huge price advantage they once had.
    edited January 2012
    You could not pay me to pick a Genesis over a Lexus. What a joke. All I can say, is buy a Korean car and experience it for yourself. I have and I won't be going back anytime soon...

Also, looking at a consumer reports Ratings and Pricing 2011 right in front of me. 2011 Gensis coupe and sedan reliability is average (hollow circle) Lexus IS: Excellent (solid red). None of their cars have solid red reliability.
    Well, this is a bit off-topic for our conversation's focus here. This topic is designed to help members with their decision regarding which sedan to purchase. We understand that you won't buy a Korean-made vehicle, but unless there's another question, this really isn't the place to just have a general discussion about Hyundia/Kia.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    In metro Atlanta they "give away" 2012 Altima 2.5S (not base) models for under $18k, as well.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Hum. You were happy the first couple of years you had the Sedona. After that it looks as if you had a change of heart. Does Puerto Rico have the same type of dealer network as the continental US? Do you get the same vehicles and warranty? Just curious.

#24 of 35 2006 Sedona by lavrishevo
    Feb 19, 2010 (8:35 am)

Has been a great van . Few minor problems fixed immediately by the dealer. 31k and running great. Best van for the money by far!
    If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Great little car that we really love...only issue has been a brake light switch that was replaced under warranty in under 2 hours. Service department is very good to boot and will probably purchase a 2012 Accent by years end. Have owned Japenese brand cars since the 80's and have 3 others presently. We're quite happy with our choices.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• chickraechickrae Member Posts: 44
    I am so confused as to what to buy. I was convinced I was going to buy a brand new 2012 Elantra and now after reading another forum on here where people are posting that the gas mileage of 40mpg isn't all that accurate, I am not sure. I am buying it for the gas mileage but that is not the number one reason. I like the style of the car, the XM radio and the price is probably number 1. I also like the civic and the corolla but I felt the elantra had more room and I also want something comfortable. I think the Honda accord is as roomy but I can't afford a brand new accord.
    Help.... any thoughts from anyone that own one of these three cars and why they are happy with them would help me out. I am buying one of these cars easter weekend.
    I think you're letting a fairly minor piece of information steer your decision in a way that it shouldn't. There will always be people talking about gas mileage figures in ways that are not necessarily scientific. You can probably find similar talk about the Corolla and Civic. It's cheaper than the others to begin with, right? So don't get bent out of shape about whether it will cost you another $100 a year in gas than you expected. Buy it, be happy and don't look back.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    The current issue of Popular Mechanics tested the Elantra and got well over 40MPG hwy when driven at 55MPH - the mileage dropped to below 40MPG at 70 MPH. Mileage is very driver dependent.
    edited March 2012
    First, the Elantra and Civic and likely the Corolla will give you better FE than a current-gen Accord. You could likely find a good used 2008+ Accord for a similar price as a new Elantra, but it won't have a factory warranty unless it's a CPO car. Of course the Accord has more room--it's rated a full-sized car by the EPA. If you want that kind of room, you should be looking at the Accord plus its competitors e.g. Altima, Camry, Fusion, Mazda6, Sonata, Optima. FWIW, you might be able to get a new Altima 2.5S or Fusion for not much more than an Elantra GLS, as the Altima and Fusion are discounted pretty heavily (they are due for a redesign very soon). Same for the 2012 Malibu, good clearance deals on those before the 2013s come in. But those are all "mid-sized" cars--a size up or more from the Civic, Corolla, and Elantra.

If you like a lot of back-seat room, the Jetta might be the best "compact" in that area. But the base Jetta has an anemic 115 hp engine and the dash is pretty chintzy. Has a nice low price, however.

I've driven the Elantra several times, have driven several current-gen Corollas, and have taken the 2012 Civic LX on a long test drive (5MT). IMO the Elantra is clearly the tops in that group, and the Corolla at the bottom. The Civic wasn't terrible but I like the dash of the Elantra much better than the Civic's, and the Elantra has more back seat leg room. The Corolla has a cheap interior IMO and the least back seat room of the bunch. Also I find it uncomfortable to drive. It's possible you'd get a little higher FE with the Civic, but you have to decide if that is most important to you. You might find you can get a Civic LX for less money than an Elantra GLS.

Be sure you take the cars on a LONG test drive before plopping down your hard-earned money.
    This is true. I really have wanted the Elantra for almost a year now and have test driven in 4 or 5 times. I dont like the looks or style of the corolla or civic and I didn't like the style of the elantra before 2011 but now I can't get it out of my head. All these tests people have done with the mileage and trying to see if it has the 40 mpg highway is something I don't care to do when I get it. Anything will be better than what the 18 I am getting now. I keep my cars a long time (2001 for the mustang and 1995 Montero which i currently have) and I plan on trading in the mustang and keeping this car a very long time. I just want to be sure. Hyundai in the past hasn't had the name like Honda or Toyota so I guess part of me worries about the name. I know when I bought the mitsubishi back in 1995, people told me you will have problems and that Montero has been the best car I have ever had.
    The only reason I threw the honda accord in there is that is what my son has had forever and tells me all the time how great they are. I want a new car as I have never had a new one, so a used accord isn't an option.

I have never driven a civic. Maybe I should drive one just to make sure I would or wouldn't want one. I have driven a Toyota, but again I don't like the looks of it.
    If you want to be more sure that you'll get the fuel economy you want on an Elantra, why not rent one for a week? Rental companies like Enterprise have them. Then drive it as you normally would during the week. Sure, it will cost you a couple hundred bucks or more to rent the car for the week, but it will be worth it to make sure the Elantra is the car for you. It's not much money in the grand scheme of things, given you want to keep the car for a long time.
    Forget the Civic. Honda did a bad job updating the latest Civic, so much so that Consumer Reports doesn't recommend it and Honda is going to have to revise the update as soon as it can. The previous version of the car was great to drive, but both the previous one and the current one aren't particularly great when it comes to safety ratings. I say this as a loyal Honda owner -- all three of my family's vehicles are Hondas. But the newest is a 2006. The company has been off its game the past few years.
    backy, great idea to rent one. What do you think of the Elantras?

mr qone - thanks for that info on the civic. The civic just seems small to me. I like the room in the elantra.
    I am looking to buy a hatchback next year and the new Elantra GT hatch is on my list to consider. But it's not available until later this year. I like the Elantra sedan ok, especially the cockpit and rear seat room, which is huge for a compact, but I prefer the Mazda3, Focus, Golf, and Impreza in terms of ride/drive. Of the 3 you are considering, I prefer the Elantra.
    So I am assuming the GT has a bigger engine? (thinking of my ford mustang GT) How is the gas mileage suppose to be? Someone I know just bought the Mazada 3 touring skyactive, which is suppose to be even better gas mileage than the Elantra. I Hadn't considered the mazda, but my daughter has a Mazda 6 and loves it. Does the mazda 3 have a good warranty?
    No, same powertrain on sedan and GT but GT has an adjustable steering feel and sport-tuned suspension, also a different dash (which I like better than the sedan's), several more features/options including backup camera and panoramic sunroof (which I don't need but some people may like them), and of course the hatchback configuration with more rear headroom and cargo room, which includes a flat-folding rear seat (with a flip-up rear seat bottom). Projected FE on the GT will be very close to that of the sedan, I think I saw 1 mpg less.

You might want to check out the Mazda3 Skyactiv, if you don't need a lot of rear seat legroom. It doesn't get better mpg than the Elantra but is very close, and is a blast to drive especially with the short-throw stick. All new Mazdas sold in the USA have the same warranty, AFAIK.