Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• whatdafxup09whatdafxup09 Member Posts: 8
    Hey all I want to thank you guys for the great advice. I think I'm pretty set on the mazda 3 hatch. With my budget of ~25k, I could get the fully loaded version with the larger engine, but is it worth the loss in mpg? any thoughts?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why not drive both and decide? There is a HUGE difference in fuel economy but only 12 hp more in the 2.5L (11 hp for PZEV e.g. CA). Also you said you probably won't get a stick, and the Skyactiv has a 6-speed auto while 2.5L has only 5 speeds. The Mazda3i Grand Touring comes pretty well equipped, including leather. Plus you get the better fuel economy.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Well, if you're new to the job-world in this economy, you need something used, fun to drive, and dirt cheap to repair.

Toyota's least expensive car to repair in the last decade is... the Celica. It's the ultimate get-around town car that is fun to drive and won't break your bank keeping it running. A 2005 GTS model in near mint condition is a very affordable and good choice, as it should have at least 5-7 more years life in it. It should cost you well under $10K for a low mileage one.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Have you already test drove a Mazda3 hatch with five people in the car. If you think you're going to be driving five folks around pretty often, you might want to test drive with that many. I don't know how big you or your passengers may be, but three in the back of a Mazda3 will be pretty tight. For ~$25K you could get a Ford Fusion that's more roomy. Also, if you're concerned about MPG go for the manual transmission.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Why not look at a VW Jetta or Golf? We bought a VW Tiguan after years of being Honda/Toyota loyalists. So far it has been more trouble free than the 09 Accord, 11 Genesis, and 11 Odyssey we recently owned. We just took it on a trip to Florida with 2 adults and 2 kids in 90 degree heat with the AC running. It averaged 28 MPG over the course of the 1200 miles we drove it. This is with the 2.0t engine and 6-speed manual transmission. The Jetta TDI would be fun to drive and gets 43 MPG+, though some of this is offset by the higher cost of diesel.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It's not really a young persons car but the RAV4s circa 2005/2006 are perfect. Extremely reliable, lots of room, very good gas mileage. Extremey low maintenance costs. In six years, not any "repairs", only scheduled maintenance. And a ton of room inside.

Took 2 adults and 3 teens on a weekend 1000 mileage trip in the summer. We were all very comfortable during that trip.
    edited April 2012
    Also, if you're concerned about MPG go for the manual transmission.

Not really an issue with the new 6 speeds in the Skyactiv. The automatic is actually rated higher in mpg by EPA than the stick. More about fun to drive, and up-front cost. Maybe in LA traffic it would not be all that fun though. :(
  • whatdafxup09whatdafxup09 Member Posts: 8
    Yeah, the main reason for the automatic transmission would be the beast that is LA traffic. Also, it would allow my family and girlfriend to drive the car, as none of them can drive stick. Problem is, I can drive stick and love it... Only time will tell. I may wait until late summer/early fall so I can scope the new (2013) mazda 3s. As for the room in the back, bobw3 you have a good point. Ill have to check that out but I'd imagine the car is decently comfortable for 4 passengers, no? As for the Rav4, I was considering compact suv's but have decided I'd prefer a sedan/hatch. As for the celica, I've never really seen the appeal.
    Decently comfortable in back if passengers don't have long legs. I'm 5'9-1/2" and could sit behind myself with OK comfort for, oh, maybe a couple of hours. Would not want to be back there on a long trip though.
  • joeyh1joeyh1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm trying to stay mid teens. Is a Jetta worth including in this mix? My main concern is that there are no VW dealers near me.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    In my opinion, no. It's fun to drive, but I would never own a VW out of warranty. Though you may purchase IN warranty, that won't last too long. No VW dealers nearby definitely would kill the deal for me.

At your price point, I'd consider the Optima the best value (still). The other options you mentioned are very likely to be closer to $20K than to $15K.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2012
    If I were going to go VW I'd go for the GTI. It has pretty much been perfected, as it hasn't changed much in lots of years.

It's way more fun than a Jetta, and it's not all that expensive either.

In my experience, VW, while far from reliable, is still FAR MORE reliable than a Dodge.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    The big deal with manuals in Los Angles is that they actually are not a problem at all. I live here and the thing is, that they are easier to drive than an automatic in most cases because you just drive like a truck driver. That is, instead of trying to follow at a set distance like a good little drone, you ignore gaps and just keep the thing in 2nd gear the whole time. You have to un-learn your automatic driving style and re-learn for manuals.

Note that this takes a week at most. I hate shifting and during the typical Los Angeles traffic jam, my average number of shifts is well under ten in half an hour. You just have to not care and stubbornly creep and grind along letting the engine rev up and down in 2nd gear, with the occasional shift to 1st. (my vehicle drives fine in 2nd gear from about 5mph to 40mph, giving me a huge range to play with - the trick is to leave yourself enough space to slowly rev down and coast before the car in front moves and stops again. While they are going and stopping constantly, you are more like a yo-yo behind them

Having to hover over the brake because your car wants to creep forward constantly is far more annoying to me, actually, in heavy traffic. And, there is also the issue of darting into gaps and making lane changes. Automatics are pretty much a slam the pedal and pray affair, while with a manual, you're already most likely in the right gear and can simply go - no lag, no worries.

What matters most in all of this is the ease of the clutch itself. Some vehicles like the Celica and the Accord/Civic are almost video game easy. Some are like a bench press. Most of this is not the clutch itself but the over-sized spring that they put on the pedal, combined with the fact that many clutches are set to engage when you're nearly at the floor. Ideally, the clutch should move 20-30 degrees. Most are set up from the factory closer to 45-60 degrees, which is very tiring.

Back to car recommendations:

The Lexus IS300. It's as close to that classic late 90s "BMW" feel that Japan ever got, IMO. It feels great. Reliability is, well, it might as well be a Corolla, since they share a lot of the same DNA. (this is a good thing, mind you) They made an is300 wagon in manual, which is a blast to drive. The automatic is also fun if it has the paddle shifters. Unlike a lot of these, this is an earlier design, so it really does stay in the gear you tell it to.

Also, add a mid 2000s Mercedes C230K to the list. Note - manual only, zero options model (ie - manual seats, even, if you can find it that way). These are famous for getting 30+mpg and driving, well, like a Mercedes. Manual because you don't want a Mercedes automatic and no options because even in base trim, it's a nice car - and there's nothing to break. Note that you might be looking for a while to find one as nobody wants to sell theirs. Well, except for the 3 door coupe. These are everywhere and nobody wants theirs, apparently. Great cars, though - like a modern take on the BMW 318Ti.

The first generation Rav-4 while funky looking, is a good choice as well. Get one with 4WD, though, as it allows you to do a lot more things in the mountains surrounding Los Angeles, and is actual 4WD - not all wheel drive. So you get 2WD gas mileage but when you need to go off-road, you have options. (and resale value is much better) The automatic is reliable but boring as paste.

If you want new, a good option is a brand new Jeep Patriot with manual. Why? Because year-end incentives make these go out the door for close to 14K. That buys a lifetime of repairs (what with new Corollas and Civics approaching 20K?), and the factory warranty is there as well. It's a big cheap box, and perfect for just getting around in a city where your car will get dings and dents. Also, the 4WD option is quite decent off-road. I know nobody things of Los Angeles as "off road", but it is surrounded by a few hundred thousand square miles of mountains and deserts. Plus, it's great if you want to go skiing in the winter - AWD vehicles still require chains and mostly fail anyways.
  • rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    edited April 2012
    Not sure, if it is the right place to ask. My daily driver is Accord. We do have 2001 V6 sonata. Wife is using Sonata once in a while for quick trip to kid school or grocery store. We can definitely live with one car time being. I am just wondering, if it is a good idea to get rid of old Sonata. It suspension is making all kind of noises. I would like to get rid of it before it breaks down.
    We might need a second car once she starts working down the line. Do we get any incentive from TX state for giving up 10years old to purchase small car?
    Any help regarding this?
    You probably haven't gotten an answer because no one here is familiar with what Texas offers. I will say that I do not know of any incentives offered by states to trade in a vehicle, other than the tax break offered by some states - you only pay tax on the difference between trade-in value and new car purchase price, not the whole purchase price. But I don't know about Texas.

It is also a personal financial decision. A 10-year-old vehicle will eventually have issues. If you think the issues are too much to live with, you should get rid of it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thanks for the help. Carfax offered me $700. I am trying to see if I can find a private buyer for little more.
    You might hop over to our Real World Trade-In Values discussion, post the details about your vehicle, and see what experienced members think about a good private-party asking price.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Having to hover over the brake because your car wants to creep forward constantly is far more annoying to me, actually, in heavy traffic. And, there is also the issue of darting into gaps and making lane changes. Automatics are pretty much a slam the pedal and pray affair, while with a manual, you're already most likely in the right gear and can simply go - no lag, no worries.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>_____________

You can shift an Automatic into neutral if you are tired of pushing the brake. Most brakes have a lot of power brake behind them, so the effort is minimal. However, shifting to N just like in a manual risks rolling forward or backward and causing a collision if you don't have your foot on the brake anyway.

As for darting into gaps with an automatic... it is not a slam and pray affair if you choose wisely. Competent Automatics will shift fairly quickly, and the best ones actually have two clutches and shift faster than the world's best race car driver could with a manual. My '03 Accord's 5-speed auto was adequately fast. My '06 A3's DSG is lightning fast. Choose your automatics wisely!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    With gas prices approaching $5/gallon again, I would not get a manual. Most modern automatics do a very good job of maximizing gas mileage; there simply is not need for a manual and the sales figures of manuals vs automatics bear this out.

I drove a manual for 12 years and eventually grew tired of the 10 mile backups in heavy traffic. On the clutch, off the clutch etc.

Although I have to say since I got rid of the manual the state DOT did a great job in reconstruction of the major portions of the 10 mile ride where these infamous backups used to occur. Getting through the bad stretches is not much, much easier.
    Why not get a few year old Prius, which has a nice interior big back seat and trunk area, gets 50mpg and it very reliable. You can probably get on in the mid-teens.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Yeah and in a couple of years he can spend several thousand on battery replacements. :sick:
    That is how exactly I am feeling with my 2010 Accord purchase. MPG on Accord with city driving is not good. Prius could have been better purchase. Only thing I noticed is insurance premium. Prius insurance cost seems to be higher (My colleague pays 70% more for his Prius compared to Accord).
    The insurance for my Honda Fit and Prius are the same. So your colleague has both the Accord and Prius of the same year and pays 70% more for the Prius?

And it's a myth that you'll pay "thousands in a few years" for batteries in hybrids. The Prius has been in production for over 10 years and there are no reports of expensive battery replacements. Just the opposite in fact with Prius's at 150,000 to 200,000 miles on the same battery pack. And when a there is a battery issue, it's normally just one or a few cells and not the entire battery pack needing replacement.

Considering the reliability of the Prius on all the various components, long-term the maintenance costs are actually lower. What if you have a VW Jetta, Malibue, or any other less reliable car for example with 150,000 miles and you're paying thousands to replace various electronic components, AC pumps, water pumps, alternators, power steering pumps, etc... Even if you did have to replace some Prius battery cells at 150,000 miles, you'd still end up with less maintenance costs than with comparable vehicles.

Plus if you drove a Prius 150,000 miles at 48mpg average as compared with another sedan only averaging 28mpg at $3.75/gallon, you'd save $8,370 in gas with the Prius. Plus you'd have a more reliable car.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Bob,

I think you make some excellent points. And when gas hits $5 a gallon (which I am sure it will in the next few years) the Prius will be even more of great commuter car.

I really like the Prius and have known several folks that have owned them. I think they are a great value. That said, they are just not for me (obviously everyone has an opinion). I prefer a car with more pickup/acceleration, and less electronic/numb steering. I have been driving sporty cars and sedans the last 23 years and it is hard to adjust.

But I agree with you that reliability or resale should not really be a concern with the Prius. I myself used to question longevity with the batteries and potential repair and resale, but we clearly have enough data now to know those concerns should not affect a buyer.

So, for me, it just comes down to sacrificing acceleration and overall ride quality for gas savings.. I ended up meeting in the middle with a 4cyl turbo that meets my demands of acceleration and handling when I want it, but can still hit mid 30's on the highway for gas mileage on regular unleaded.
    How much are you getting batteries for then? What's the replacement cost of a worn-out battery system on a Prius? I'm reading anywhere between $2000 and $6000 depending on where they source the batteries and which generation Prius. Which definitely qualifies as "thousands."
    I completely agree that the Prius has no sporty flavor and is more of an appliance car. Like I said in my previous post, ANY car can have a few thousand dollars of repairs after 150,000+ miles, but here's more info for you:

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/01/05/replacing-prius-batteries-can-be-good-for-t- he-environment-and/

And here it says from a 2008 article, "The carmaker isn't doing much business in replacement batteries though - with some 500,000 Priuses now on the road in this country fewer than 300 battery packs have been replaced, and many of those were batteries damaged in accidents."
    http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/09/toyota-lowers-price-on-prius-replacement-bat- teries-says-business-slow---for-now.html

It really depends on what the alternative car you're buying and the reasons. I was more interested in space, reliability and MPG, so I choose the Prius. If 5-10 years down the road I need to spend a couple thousand on a new battery, then I'll look back at all the gas I've saved, and know that I still came out ahead.
  • lisalizlisaliz Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a good, solidly built small car that handles well. My #1 priority, due to my medically heat sensitive son and our brutal climate, is a strong A/C - preferably one that can put a frost on you. I also want firm, supportive seats.

My current car is a 2001 Jetta, which is just about perfect. Unless you consider the dreadful reliability. I decided to unload it years ago but never found anything I preferred, and now the elderly A/C is forcing my hand. Unfortunately the latest version of the Jetta is a downgrade - I'd rather move up than down.

I'm not big on cars as status symbols. In fact when I had the chance to test drive a used Mercedes the hood ornament kind of bugged me. And whatever I buy now will probably be passed down to my boys when they learn to drive in 6-7 years, so there's that. I don't really need teenage boys driving a Mercedes to high school. However safety features might be good.

Price? I tend to be frugal, but will also pay for quality/value. So I'm not specifying a price point; what I'm willing to pay depends on what I get for my money. I chose a Jetta over a fairly comparable Audi last time.

I am apparently style blind. I actually think the Prius is a good looking car. I know, I know, but it's not fair to criticize someone who just admitted being blind. So feel free to recommend something that is butt-ugly.
    edited April 2012
    How about a CPO Rabbit or Golf? Solidly built, reliable (much better record than past VWs), factory warranty, and a lot of car for the money. Since you like VWs e.g. 2001 Jetta, you should like how the Rabbit/Golf ride and drive. And more practical (esp. as a school car) than a sedan. And very strong on safety--look for a Rabbit with ESC (standard on later Rabbits, and the 2010+ Golf).

The Golf is arguably the highest quality compact available for a reasonable price. It hasn't been de-contented like so many other compacts have been in recent years (e.g. the new Jetta). And it isn't even ugly! :)

Another other good choice IMO is the Mazda3i (with Skyactiv for great fuel economy). The Focus is a nice car also, good blend of ride and handling, but as a brand new design reliability is not yet proven. A used Civic is another possibility--handles better than the new ones, and a proven design. I doubt you'd like how the Corolla and Elantra handle. The new Impreza is a very nice car also, not quite as crisp handling as the Mazda3 or Golf, but you are paying extra in multiple ways for the AWD, which if you don't need it doesn't match your frugal nature.
    If you'd rather go up then down, I'd test drive a Passat or Fusion.
    My husband used to own a Passat and I'd drive it sometimes - a good car, but I prefer to drive something smaller. I had mentally checked Ford off my list, but that was a few years ago so you're right, it needs to be revisited. I really like the Mazda3, but it doesn't have enough headroom to accommodate my tall husband as a passenger. He and I are automotively incompatible so I tend to ignore his preferences, but I do need at least the option to haul him on occasion.

Golfs are reliable? Really? I'm going to have to check that option out. Though I imagine the growing sons would whine about the back seat - they're already complaining about the Jetta.

I'm told that to get really good A/C I need to avoid economy cars, so I'm also looking at the next tier up. But I really don't know anything about the entry level luxury segment, so am not even sure where to begin there.
  • toyotafan6toyotafan6 Member Posts: 49
    I bought a 2012 Toyota Yaris LE a few months ago, my prior car was a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE. I really like the Yaris...

I'll give you what I think are the Yaris' pros and cons. Of course, I understand alot of it is subjective...

Pros:

Price: MSRP $16,815
    Gas Mileage: my last tank was 36.5 mpg - 90% city driving
    Comfort: the driver's seat I find very supportive and comfortable
    Visibility: Very good, the Yaris is a little taller than my old car
    Braking: excellent
    Audio System: excellent
    Handling: excellent
    Features: bluetooth capability, Ipod, tire-pressure monitoring system, anti-theft, etc.
    Reliability: Vehix has the Yaris as one of the most reliable 2012 small cars.
    Free scheduled maintenance for 25,000 miles or 2 years from Toyota.
    Parking: a cinch!
    Styling: looks good to me! Both inside and out.
    Safety: 9 airbags

I've been running the A/C when needed, it works great!

Cons:

Not the smoothest ride on the road, it is a little more harsh than my old car but not enough to be an annoyance (not to me anyway)...The road noise is a little more noticable than my Corolla as well, but again, to me this is not a big deal, from what I understand the lower-priced cars don't have the insulation as the higher-priced ones. The shift lever knob is on the small side.

I've always liked the smaller cars and so far I'm happy with my choice. :)
    edited April 2012
    The 2001 Jetta has less rear seat room than the current Golf. I know, I owned a 2005 Jetta (last year of that design). Be sure to take your sons along if you drive one.

If you like the Mazda3 but want something roomier, how about the new CX-5? Excellent fuel economy (for an SUV), Mazda-type handling, lots of utility, good room in back. Get one w/o a moonroof, for your husband. :)

Also... if your sons find the rear of your Jetta cramped and the Mazda3 doesn't have enough headroom for your husband, don't waste time looking at the Yaris--they won't like it.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    lisa: Your comment;
    I'm told that to get really good A/C I need to avoid economy cars, so I'm also looking at the next tier up. But I really don't know anything about the entry level luxury segment, so am not even sure where to begin there.

Even a luxury car needs to be test driven for A/c efficiency IMO. At one time, we had an older GM upscale model and a 20 year old Nissan 300ZX. Nissan car A/C was much better even though many early Japanese were notoriously poor.. Now have newer upscale GM with outstanding A/C and also a new Sonata GLS with outstanding A/C. Point is the A/C function varies by model and maker as much as price point. More bucks do not really guarantee any function will perform if the design or application is flawed.
    The posts on the Edmunds boards are a great source to vet any potential choice due to the broad database of various unbiased users that post their real world experiences. Good luck.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking for a car shopper who thinks 40 MPG is a requisite before they buy. If you have recently shopped for a car, and you have only considered cars that get 40 MPG, and you are willing to share your story with a reporter, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern.
    edited April 2012
    You know, the most overbuilt vehicles are made by GM and Ford. Ford has the edge on body construction and GM has the edge on having the most reliable transmissions.

Not all domestic vehicles are toads. The Ford Edge, for instance, is actually a nice car. And given that their primary target audience is mostly people who live in the Midwest and drive long distances, rental companies, government fleets, and so on, you can guarantee that their AC and heating systems are big and over-sized.

The best AC system I ever had was in a Crown Victoria. the car was also essentially indestructible. A 2-3 year old (non fleet owned - get one of the 10% that were sold to individuals) Mercury Grand Marquis might be a good option as it's cheap, will last a long time, and the lower purchase price (less tax, insurance, and registration as well) will offset the fuel difference for quite a few years. Also, these old RWD Fords are dirt cheap to fix. Literally half the cost of my previous Toyota 4Runner.

20mpg vs 25mpg hardly matters if you only drive 8-10K a year and you factor in the other savings. Too many people get cars that save money up front but ride and last like the tin cans that they are. Of course, you'd expect a Civic to not be as good as a Taurus, given that one costs a whole lot more than the other and is a much larger and heavier car. Just like how a Camry is a better car than a Yaris, even used. And always will likely be until the Camry is literally ready for the junk yard.

Another good car to look at for the same reason would be any of the larger Buick or Cadillac sedans. Since most have a V6 in them they get good MPG and are built to soak up day after day of highway miles. A couple of year used Lucerne/Park Avenue/LaCrosse/etc with the V6 would be good if fuel is a concern, or you could get a couple of year used DTS or V8 Lucerne if you don't drive much. Only get the non-supercharged 3.8/3.9 models though. These are more reliable and have less to go wrong with them. Case in point, my mother's Buick LeSabre is ugly as a toad but it's turning out to be dirt cheap to keep running and a good commuter car. With a few basic hypermilling techniques on the highway, it can just barely eek out 30mpg on long trips. That's quite impressive. And it has a whole slew of options that most budget cars don't have like HUD, digital displays and diagnostic systems, leather, premium sound... These don't suck by any means, no matter what the auto magazines say if you are coming from a budget set of wheels.

All will be fantastic for a kid's first car as they are bigger and safer. They don't like to be driven fast and that's good for your wallet and blood pressure.
    Well, given that the person who posed the question finds the Passat too large for her liking, I doubt the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and larger Buick and Cadillac offerings are going to fit the bill. The vehicle is for her, primarily.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

It does seem a bit odd, though, that the OP complained about VW's reliability and then is interested in another one.
    Well, there are trade-offs with every potential vehicle. And it's the Golf, which is a different animal and has been more reliable.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• firsttimecarfirsttimecar Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am a new grad (23 years old) living in Alberta, Canada and I would like some help purchasing my very first new car. What I'm looking in a car is safety, reliability, affordability, fuel efficient and decent room/comfort when driving.
    I was looking at the 2012 Corolla vs. the 2012 Elantra. The Corolla is slightly less expensive than the Elantra but from the reviews I've been reading the Elantra seems to get significantly better ratings than the Corolla. I'm also wondering if the sudden acceleration problem that Toyota was having a couple years back is fixed yet? I've read the 2012 Lemon-aid book and drivers are still reporting issues with the acceleration/steering (Elantra got 5 stars while Corolla only got 2). Any other car suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My budget is around $20k...if I save a few more months I should have enough to pay my car in cash and not need financing.

Also, another thing I'm debating is that...should I go for a compact or mid-sized sedan(I will need financing then)? Thinking for the future, I'll probably have kids and maybe a mid-sized sedan would be more suiltable?

Thank you for your time and help.
  • sjung1sjung1 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I got OTD $20316 for 2013 elantra +preferred package + floor mat, cargo tray, cargo net, Ipod cable,mud guard,rear bumber protection? (I didn't want these accessories but it comes together)

Is that right price?

Tax is 6.59%
    I dont know how much is title,registration and document fees.

and target price from true car is 19194.

dealer said this is the lowest price they can give.
    but I feel $20,316 is little expensive.
    Yes, plekto, even I think that's odd. That's why I haven't replaced the 12 year old Jetta before now. Pretty much anything new should be more reliable, but I don't want to buy a car I like less than my Jetta. I do like german cars, as a rule.
    We did try the Yaris. You're right, nobody liked it. For me, the Toyota's aggressive headrest was a deal breaker (I like to face the road, not my lap) but the menfolk didn't care for it either.
    I know what you mean about the headrest, I had to adjust the driver's seat a few times to get it to the right position so that it didn't feel as if my head was pushed forward too much.

At least you were open-minded enough to take a look at the Yars, I had a couple of friends tell me they didn't think I'd like it, and of course, I did - so much that I bought one.

Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody's got one, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and for me, the Yaris fit the bill...so far so good, no regrets...

Good luck with your search!
    I was looking for the same things as you when replacing my 2001 Corolla LE a few months ago - I got a 2012 Toyota Yaris LE - it's a subcompact liftback (not compact) and so far I love it - this is my 3rd liftback...

I've already submitted a couple of reviews so at the risk of a lengthy re-peat let me just say that the gas mileage is better than expected (36.5 mpg), it's safety factor received high marks from "expert" reviewers; has 9 airbags, comfortable driver's seat, good visibility, easy to handle/park, comes with 2 yrs/25K free scheduled maintenance from Toyota, Vehix has it on their list as one of 2012's most reliable cars...

Toyota re-designed it and (to me) it is an attractive car - it feels very roomy on the inside too - not cramped - I will say however that the ride is not as smooth as my Corolla and the engine is not as quiet, but for me this is not a big deal - the lower-priced cars don't have the insulation as their higher-priced counterparts (as least that's my understanding).

In the months leading up to my purchase (in the beginning anyway) I was planning to get another Corolla because it was such a good car, but after test-driving a Yaris last year (2011 model) I realized that it was more in line with what I wanted, and after seeing a picture of the 2012 model I waited until they starting arriving at the dealership so I could check it out - I got it for less than $17,700 OTD, this is including all taxes, fees, etc.

Hope this helps.
    If you really will need a mid-sized car soon and $20k is comfortable for you, you can get a very nice new mid-sized car for $20k now, especially since some mid-sizers are being replaced soon. Some options in that range include the Altima 2.5S, Fusion S or SE, 2012 Malibu LT, and Mazda6i Sport. You can also probably find a Sonata GLS or Optima LX under $20k including T&L with some shopping. And with the Accord being redesigned soon, you might be able to find an Accord LX under $20k. You could find that one of these mid-sizers is not much more than an Elantra GLS with preferred package, since the Elantra doesn't have the same level of discounting as these mid-sizers.
    Keep in mind that the Elantra is a recent redesign, while the Corolla is not only an old design, but is due to be redesigned for the 2013 model year. Some people don't like buying a car only to have the new version come out just after, so I thought I'd point that out.
    I mulled it over a bit today while I was fixing a tree root that was growing into the side of the house (sigh) - and if you like Japanese reliability and want a German feeling driving experience, the best option is to get a used Lexus IS300. IMO, it's as close as they ever got to reaching a BMW feel in their cars, and it's just a great thing to drive. The IS250 is heavier and less powerful and feels more like a fancy Civic/Corolla/etc, and the IS300 is simply too much muscle-car. It looses that magic weight balance and agile feel that the IS300 had.

Test drive one. You'll probably end up driving it home :)
    I'm assuming there was a typo and it was meant to read: and the IS350 is simply too much muscle-car.

That's a great suggestion - the IS300. Well worth a test drive since it meets the size criterion, nice luxury features (a step up) and should blow some nice, cold A/C. A few more home maintenance & repair projects, and you should have a whole list of suggestions. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Except there's no back seat room. If the 2001 Jetta is too tight in back for the growing sons, the IS will be also.