Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• mah52mah52 Member Posts: 7
    Must have - AWD, small sedan (but would consider coupe), built-in navigation system (this rules out the Volvo S60), and prefer Japanese. Had an Audi TT before my current car and their noted electrical issues emerged right after warranty expired, so I am soured on them.

Would also like some of the newer conveniences like parking assist.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I think you've narrowed it down pretty well. Keep in mind the Infinti and Acura are both quite a bit bigger than what you're used to. Obviously there are a few others options...BMW 3 series and Cadillac ATS. They have AWD and lots of features. I'd trust keeping either of them longer than an Audi or MB. What about a Hatch? On the low-end and a total wild card is the Nissan Juke. Love-it/Hate-it styling but cool little cars with AWD. Mini also has an AWD hatch (Clubman) that's cool, small, but might be quirky on the reliability side.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I did some research on which S60 models are available with in-dash navigation. The 2012 S60 T6 AWD offers it as an option. The 2013 S60 T5 AWD "Platinum" includes integrated NAV standard.

The 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD is also worth a look, even though it doesn't wear a 'premium' nameplate. It looks more upscale than most of the models we've been discussing. It also has most of the newest safety features.

The Titanium has a Rear View Camera and Rear Sensing System standard. Voice-activated Navigation is a $795 option.

Driver Assist Package - $1000

Blind Spot Information Systme w/ Cross-Traffic Alert
    Lane Departure Warning & Lane-Keeping System
    Automatic High Beams
    Rain-sensing wipers

Adaptive Cruise Control - $995
    with Collision Warning System & Automatic Braking Assist

Active Park Assist w/ Forward Sensing System- $795

It has the 2.0L EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine, 240hp and gets 22mpg city and 33mpg highway.

With all the available features (except Active Park Assist), it stickers for just over $37k. But with current incentives, it would sell for $35k or less.

Here's a link- 2013 Ford Fusion
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    $37k for a ford fusion? $37k for a ford fusion? I would tell you the same think I told my neighbor who bought a $21k chevy aveo - the only thing you could put on a chevy aveo to make it worth $21k is another chevy aveo. I think the same would just about go for the fusion. We recently took a trip and rented a fusion. An okay car (yes, just a rental), but after having driven one for 10 days, I cannot imagine ANY reason to pay $37k for a fusion!
  • mah52mah52 Member Posts: 7
    Tx. Will definitely look at S60, but Ford is not for me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter seeks to interview anyone who recently considered or bought a new Chevy Malibu. Please email PR@edmunds.com before Friday, September 14, 2012 if you are willing to share your thoughts on the car.
  • pallotawpallotaw Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    Okay this is the type of car i'm looking for, i need to know if it exists. It must have all of the following:

1. 2-5 Doors
    2. 4-5 Seats
    3. Hatchback or coupe or sedan
    4. RWD
    5. Good MPG
    6. Unleaded/Regular Gasoline

Please help! :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
    Number 4 is going to limit your choices...

Numbers 5/6 should be merged... If a car gets 30 mpg on premium fuel, that's cheaper than 27 mpg on regular.... so, restricting your choices to regular fuel only might be a false economy..

Most RWD cars are upscale...so, almost all will use premium...

If a sporty coupe is okay, there is the Hyundai Genesis coupe, Scion FR-S or Subaru BR-Z. Though, seating for four in any of those would be marginal..

The BMW X1 is basically a 5-door hatchback.... the cheapest model comes in RWD only... of course, premium fuel..

Porsche 911 coupe has back seats... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I assume you're looking for new. #5 can be quite subjective....but a couple that come to mind and meet the criteria in my book:

Dodge Charger SXT. Actually a really nice car 19city/31hwy

Mustang V6 rated 19/31 also very well put together for 2012.

Camaro V6 rated 19/30. Aging a bit but if fits the criteria.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You left out a price range. Do you have one in mind?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pallotawpallotaw Member Posts: 2
    Under $15,000 USD :cry:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    You still have too many variables. A NEW car such as that does not exist. It would be used ... which leaves you with many many cars that would fit the bill.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Oh jeez. So we need more answers....how old and how many miles are you comfortable with. Please define "good mpg".
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I can think of at least ONE new car that exists if it can be FWD instead of RWD... Kia Soul Base. Starts around $15k before negotiation and for 2013 is actually pretty well equipped, including a 6 speed stick and Bluetooth. And rides pretty nice also (tested one the other day, albeit an automatic).

Actually there's other possibles here as well if only the RWD requirement is lifted--most of these would be stripped, but could be had ~$15k new:

* Chevy Sonic and Spark
    * Ford Fiesta
    * Hyundai Accent GS - might be able to find one around $15k at discount
    * Kia Rio base 5-door (at a discount... but for the money I'd take the Soul)
    * Mazda2
    yes, there are several if FWD is allowed.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mr_gonemr_gone Member Posts: 50
    You could buy a car that met all those criteria, but it would have been made in the 1970s. The two OPEC oil embargoes led manufacturers to find ways to save weight and they jumped on the front-wheel-drive bandwagon as one of the solutions. Broadly speaking, FWD has been the norm since the 1980s, with the exceptions of performance-oriented cars and large relics of that earlier era like the Ford Crown Vic. Some models that had been FWD have moved back to RWD, but they tend to be large vehicles like the Chrysler 300. The smaller Chrysler 200 is FWD.

The early Japanese imports, including the Corolla and Datsun 510, were RWD, as were the American models designed to compete with them, like the (cough-cough) Chevrolet Vega and Ford Pinto. Honda's original and highly influential Civic and Accord were both FWD, as was the equally influential original Dodge Caravan.

That's a long-winded explanation about why the car you're looking for doesn't exist on today's market.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new car in September. If you’re able to assist this reporter please send a brief description of your purchase and your preferred contact information to pr@edmunds.com.
  • huh4huh4 Member Posts: 14
    I have always driven clunkers and someone gave me 11k to buy a car. I have a few grand myself and I am about to buy new. What is the best bang for my buck in new?

I know buying 2 or more years old helps with depreciation but I am going to do it anyway.

Thanks for any help.
    edited October 2012
    It would help if you gave us the exact budget you have. With tax and everything I'm not sure $11k plus "a few grand" will buy anything. But please give us your max $$ you can spend. Also, what features/dynamics/etc are important to you? Automatic...Room for 6 kids....0-60 in less than an an afternoon....
    edited October 2012
    I can get a chevy spark for 14,700 out the door bottom line after taxes, tag, fees etc. 10 airbags and 38 mpg is nice but car is super small.

need to be under 15k
    edited October 2012
    Well anything at this price point is going to be pretty small. Nissan Versa at least feels a little bigger inside...and you can get one with automatic and cruise in your price range. The Ford Fiesta is another but you'll have to stick with a manual tranny at that price. Pickings are slim but both are bigger than the Spark.

Honestly if super small isn't your thing...you can find something a little bigger and nicer that's almost new. I noticed a used 2012 VW Jetta with 5k miles for $13,999 on a lot recently.
    thanks for taking the time to respond. I am second thinking the spark now. I am 6' 220 and would be miserable
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    edited October 2012
    You really need to get over the "buy new" idea and get a good car that's just a few years old. You can get a 3-5 year old car 12-15K. Or just about any other 25-35K upper tier or entry level luxury midsize sedan. These represent your best long-term value as they have more safety items, more options, and are built with the idea that people will be driving them for 10+ years as opposed to their being purely rental fodder. Heavier doors, better seats, better brakes, a smoother engine, and so on. And often a LOT safer due to their added weight in a crash.

Of course the best deals are Ford and GM due to their higher initial depreciation. About 3/4 of their cars are OK or worse, but the rest are much better than they used to be. Kind of like hidden gems, as it were. You mentioned the Spark, so you probably won't have an issue with domestic make.

My recommendation then would be to get the following/something like it:
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listin- - gId=90459030

What you are looking at is a Buick Lacrosse. But this specific model has the suspension and engine out of a Cadillac CTS. Plus leather, sunroof, a good radio, and all of the goodies. You'll not be hunched over driving it like in a lot of econoboxes. It drives like a dream and it's $13K. With under 30K miles on it, since most likely it was owned by an elderly person who barely drove it.

Did I mention the Cadillac engine? This thing is a rocket. 0-60 in just over 7 seconds, and while that's not as "fast" some other cars, it has maximum torque at 1600rpm. Not 4000+. So it does transitions and responds much quicker than a typical sedan since it's at full power pretty much all the time. (kind of like driving a diesel just without the diesel issues)

This car at fifteen years old (10 years from now) will be in better shape than a new econobox after 5 years. As for myself, I typically drive older luxury cars for this reason. If you don't abuse them you'll never wear out a full-size car.

edit - note that there is a second choice that's also good. It's reliable, super cheap to fix, and despite getting OK MPG, the low low price more than makes up for it.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listin- - gId=73962461
    It's big but it's also quite obviously not a taxi, rental car, or cop car. The whole idea behind that specific color (or the dark red) is to get rid of that image. It's an awesome vehicle in every way. If you are 6 ft tall, it's made for you. You get a big overbuilt car that easily could last another 150K miles and save a ton on repairs. Just keep it until the wheels fall off. Like the Buick, it comes pretty much loaded. I drove one of these for a while and it was awesome. Quiet, smooth as glass, and perfect for commuting to work and back.

Keep in mind that this car is about two years old. It'll still probably have that new car smell and half the tread left on the original tires.
    wow! never thought id get that much help on a forum, thanks
    If you are set on a new car, with your size you might try the Soul. Very roomy car, and I've seen base models (still all the key equipment, and a 6-speed manual) advertised for under $13k + T&L. That would fit your budget, depending on taxes in your state. Also good fuel economy and high marks for crash safety. And a 10-year warranty.

Versa hatch is another option, not quite as roomy as the Soul but really good legroom for its size. Would need to be a base model to fit in your budget. Stay away from the Versa sedan... not nearly as nice a car as the hatch, IMO, and the hatch is more versa-tile.
    I tried that myself, oh, about 1995. I was thinking about buying a small car, new. Something cute with a manual like maybe a Celica or a Civic hatchback. But the problem is that they, well, drove like small cars.

I ended up with a used Volvo. It simply won, because as much as I wanted "new", the amount of car that I could get a few years used was shocking by comparison. I kept lusting after things like air conditioning, disc brakes, power windows (remember, this was in the 90s, none of that was standard, normally), leather, a sunroof, and so on.
    And having owned more new cars that I care to admit....the "new car" wears off REALLY fast. I can afford pretty much whatever I want but I still try to buy used whenever possible. New is not as glamorous as it may seem. We just bought a new Acura at the end of August...for the wife. It was a great deal because Acura is trying to clear out the old models and I couldn't find a slightly used one for less. My daily driver I bought two years old with 15k miles and saved $8k over a new one. I now have 80k miles on it 2 years later...I don't miss those first 15k miles one bit!!
    Have you driven the Soul? A huge difference between that and what was available as a basic small car in 1995. Actually the Versa hatch is also.

The OP said he wants a new car, so while I'd go with a used car myself for this kind of money, I am trying to give him advice related to his question.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    You could get a 2012 Mazda3 i Sport 4-door for around $15k (give or take a few hundred). I'm 6'2" 230 and it has more than enough room for me. It's a lot more fun to drive than any other $15k car, too!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    edited October 2012
    I have found a Ford Fiesta SE from private party for $12k. It has 1940 miles on it and is a 2011. It has automatic, cruise, PW and PL

Please tell me if I should buy this car. I am ready to pay the man and avoid dealer fees and new car depreciation and still get a fairly new car.

It was kept in the garage and still smells new.

Is Ford Fiesta a reliable car or trouble?
    Nice little car as long as you don't need to haul adults in the back seat.

Do yourself a favor and run a carfax on it... just in case it's been in a major accident.

Why are they selling it with only 2000 miles on it?
    edited October 2012
    ran a carfax and it was clean. they got it in an inheritance from grandma who bought it new and garaged it and drove it 1940 miles. carfax says that is the mileage too.

NADA retail on it with listed options is almost $16k.

we are meeting at tax collector office to transfer car so I know title is legit.

factory bumper to bumper for 2 more years and 34k more miles
  • hondaman2010hondaman2010 Member Posts: 5
    I need help picking out a car. I want something reasonable but I also want a car that is very good quality also (no junk). I currently have a 2011 Honda Accord LX-P and I think it has been a little too big (and expensive) for me. It is also not very good with gas. Here are the cars I am looking at:

2013 Hyundai Elantra or Sonata
    2013 Kia Optima
    2013 Honda Civic (NOT the 2012)
    2013 Honda Fit Sport
    2013 Mazda (2 or 3)

I found out that the new Civics go on sale on November 29th so that is why I am waiting to see what that new car is like. I have read a lot of good reviews on the Fit and I notice many people driving the Hyundai and Kia but not sure about their quality or resale.

I use my car mostly driving around the city going to work, meetings, grocery store, etc.

Also, leasing vs buying??

Any suggestions? I am 6'1".
    If expense and gas mileage are mainly driving your decision....it's not likely you'll come out ahead on any of these financially. Normally I'd say a 2011 Accord should have good resale but they're practically giving away the 2012's right now. You can buy a new '12 Accord LXP for $18k pretty easily.....I'm betting that's far less than you paid for yours when new so you'll take a beating on trade. How much gas do you have to save to make up that difference? Plus, around town I doubt you'll see a huge fuel savings between any of these and the Accord. Couple mpg maybe at best.
    You didn't provide enough information to narrow this down much. You have a wide range of vehicles on your list--from tiny subcompacts (Mazda2) to mid-sized cars with large-car interiors (Sonata and Optima).

Think about what's most important to you: fun to drive? ride comfort? lots of passenger room? lots of cargo room? fuel economy? etc.

The Fit Sport is a good around-town car if you want something small, fun to drive, good fuel economy, and versatile, but are ok with it being fairly noisy.

If you want fun-to-drive but want something a little larger, the Mazda3 would be a good choice. Hatch is available if cargo room is important.

The Elantra is a good choice if you don't mind relatively numb steering compared to a Fit or Mazda3, but want a smaller car with fairly roomy interior and a smooth ride. It does have a hatch version, Elantra GT, that has crisper steering than the sedan and IMO a nicer interior.

Not sure why Sonata and Optima are on this list, since you are looking for a car to drive around town. They are pretty big for that purpose, but good values. But there's lots of other good cars in the same class, such as the new Accord LX, Altima, and Passat.

One option you might consider since you'll be driving this car in-town a lot: a 2010+ Prius. Great fuel economy around-town, roomy interior for 4 adults, and a hatchback. But not engaging to drive.
  • akamrtoadakamrtoad Member Posts: 2
    Ok Edmunds help me out. My 13 year old daily driver is finally dying. I need to start looking for a replacement. Here are my needs:

Must seat 5 – That is two adults in front and 2 car seats and a booster in back. ( I have twin 3 year olds and a 6 year old)

No SUV – I have a minivan so I am looking for a Sedan or Wagon

At least 30 MPG – I commute 26 miles each way to work

Under $30K

Wants:
    Sporty – I know it’s hard to have good MPG and sporty but its listed under want’s not needs :)

Ok that’s what I am looking for. I know the 2012 Camry fits the bill, but it’s just kind of boring. I used to have an old 911 that was my fun car, but I had kids and sold it to buy my minivan. I know tragic but it really is a nice minivan. :)

I want something that I can enjoy driving on my daily commute, something that has power enough to merge onto the 101 during rush hour, but still fit my family if we decide we don’t want to all pile into the van.

My biggest restriction is the 2 car seats and 1 booster. The back seat in many sedans and wagons for that matter are just not wide enough.

So Edmunds, whatcha got for me?
  • ajr1775ajr1775 Member Posts: 33
    At akamrtoad...

Taking all your concerns into consideration you should go with the Passat TDI SE with Sunroof and Navigation. You may not need the Navigation but that level gets you the fog lights and nicer wheels etc. Go with the Premium if you can afford it. You can acquire the SE with Sunroof and Nav for less than 30K. It has the BEST backseat room and great mileage, the mileage is usually better than advertised. Advertised is 42mpg on highway but people are getting almost 50mpg while doing 70mph on the highway.
    edited October 2012
    I commend you for having a thorough list of needs.

Unfortunately, its a TOUGH list when taken together. Since you mentioned the Camry, I'll assume you don't want a manual transmission.

The biggest problem I see is the seating. As you said, finding one wide enough for that is damned near impossible. I know I wouldn't be able to do it in my volvo.

The only new wagons I can think to check out are the Jetta wagon and Ford C-max Hybrid. I have no idea if they'd fit all the carseats. Probably not. Maybe the Passat. Again, I have no idea with those carseats. You have to get out there and try them.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at the used market. A 2010 528i would get pretty close to your targets, I think. A little down on mileage (28mpg highway) but score high in sportiness.

VW Passat TDI (turbo diesel.) Under $30K, EPA rated 30 mpg city, 40 hwy. I heard a guy saying he routinely gets 47 mpg with this car. Can't vouch for its reliability, but it's within an inch of the Camry in backseat dimensions and I'd guess it would be a lot more fun to drive.

There's also the new Ford Fusion that should be out soon, with many trim options and better looks than in the past. Hybrid is 47 mpg, both city and hwy. Price and size similar to Passat.

Do us a favor -- test them both and tell us what you think, okay?
    In addition to the Passat, I'd also look at the new Altima. Decent driver, economical to operate, and decent size back seat. The good news is they'll all three be in boosters before you know it.
    Ford is now or about to put a three-cylinder engine in its Fiesta and Focus that is supposed to be both economical and punchy. Extremely light weight, which is important for handling purposes in a front-wheel-drive car. I've never driven either, but they get very positive reviews from those who enjoy driving. I also read that they're relatively quiet, unlike the Fit.

I doubt the Civic will be so different for 2013 that it's worth waiting for them -- they're stuck with that design for at least a couple more years. They can tweak it a bit, but this generation has been roundly booed. Your negative reaction to the Accord you're driving is widely shared -- the new one seems to address a lot of the misgivings people have about the 2008-12 size.

By the way, I don't mean to sound down on Honda. My family owns three of them.

As for the Mazda3, I had high hopes for the SkyActiv engine finally addressing the relatively poor MPG of the 3, but apparently the trade-off is that it's fairly stodgy in terms of performance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
    Three car seats?

Why wouldn't you want another mini-van? Seems like a good choice, until you get one kid out of a booster, and the twins out of carseats..

I mean, I know why you don't want another minivan, but that seems like the perfect vehicle for your situation....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Three car seats across is rough in anything smaller than a crew cab pickup. Nice part about a minivan or three row SUV is that you don't have to have them all in a row. If the size is an issue, you could consider a small people mover like the Mazda5. It'd be nice if the Ford C-Max also offered a third row but it doesn't currently do so...
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I hate to see it but I see you in another minivan. No other vehicle will give you the room and power you need. The newer ones get much better mileage than your old one. You don't mind a minivan, why not go with another? Yes, they'll be out of car seats but you'll be hauling around their friends too, and who would want to miss that fun? These are your minivan years. They'll be over before you know it. Advice from a mom of 3.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I've had friends try this and 3 seats in the rear means a minimum of about 60 inches across. Most car seats with the arms in a position where they can be raised suck up the entire rear seat position, leaving nothing in the middle for a booster if one is on each side. This means you're stuck with either something that is very boxy and upright so that the seats can be pushed out towards the edges or something that is very large.

You can get everything that you want in a car except for MPG. You'll have to settle for about 25mpg. *(one exception, see below)

Option 1A - A Chevy Colorado/GMC 1500 crew cab. It gets 18/25 mpg and while that's not 30mpg, it will fit the criteria quite well. It also will haul cargo and that's worth considering with kids in the mix. (bikes, trips to the mega-discount-warehouse, furniture for their room, etc) GM also makes the most reliable automatic transmissions. GM also has huge year-end incentives.

It really does fit 2 seats and a booster. This is because the cab is boxy and unlike most cars, you really can push it all the way to the side.

Option 1B: A Toyota Tacoma crew cab. This gets 24mpg highway. They used to offer a 4 cylinder version but it's now all V6 plus automatic. More expensive, a little more reliable. Toyota never offers year-end incentives that amount to much.

Option 2A: A full size GM car. Get a Buick Lucerne with the V6 engine. The upside of these are that they can get up to 26-27mpg highway and are big and safe in a crash. It rides very nicely on long trips thanks to the long wheelbase and huge suspension.

Option 2B: A Toyota Avalon. Toyota's version of the same thing. Big, heavy, but gets about the exact same MPG as a Camry. A win-win for those who need more space compared to the Camry. The downside, again, is that a CPO GM car or one a the end of the year is sometimes 5K or more less than a similar Toyota.

Note - you can also get a third row vehicle, but precious few exist that have the third row ahead of the rear axle. This means the kid in the rear will be part of the crumple zone. Many minivans actually fail this criteria as well, so you;'re almost stuck with a Suburban is you want a 3rd row and something that is safe. Or perhaps an actual van.

There is one vehicle that fits all of your criteria. A Jeep Patriot.

NOTE - the 2013 model has slightly changed gearing, so it gets 1mpg better than the 2012. fueleconomy.gov lists it as 23/30 with the 2.0 engine and manual transmission. Jeep makes excellent manual transmissions, is it's the choice to get.

It's actually a nice enough vehicle and really is not a SUV, either. It's more like a raised wagon. The pros are good visibility, good bad-weather performance, and a dirt cheap price.

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/jeep/patriot-pricing/2013/
    Note the $15500 price.(!) You can literally buy two of these for your budget, so it's a compelling choice. Ignore the NAV (honestly, your phone now does a similar job if you have an android or iPhone), forget about leather (kids will trash it anyways), and don't bother with the terrarium (sunroof) option. Forget the 4WD as well unless it's important to you. The middle trim model has everything you really want.

Latitude model.
    - Premium Sound (a must have)
    - Green Paint (same as the "Jeep" green on the Wrangler - very nice looking)
    - Security and Cargo group (includes side airbags and homelink)
    That's it. Truecar/Cars Direct/etc have it quoted for $20K.

Sure, you have to shift your own gears. But it'll get 30mpg and haul a lot of cargo as well. All without looking like a minivan.
    Some folks are assuming alot about the carseats in question. At 3 years old, depending on the size of the children, they can be in high-back booster seats, which can take up way less room than a full "baby" seat.

It's amazing, Plekto, how you continue to provide answers to questions that the OP didn't ask. He said he wanted a car, you give him suggestions for two trucks and a lousy SUV. He said he wanted something fun to drive, you give him the Buick Lucerne and Toyota Avalon. He said he wanted at least 30 mpg because of his long commute, you give him vehicles that get at best 24 mpg on the highway. Oh, and you also tell him what color vehicle he should get!

Really, if you think your opinions are so valuable that they should be shared despite the fact that they're completely off base, why don't you just start your own blog and free up this space for people who honestly want to help the people who come here for advice?
    edited October 2012
    He wants something that isn't a minivan. That's apparently his #1 criteria.

He wants something new that can fit his kids in the rear all across. That's his #2 criteria.(see below)

That unfortunately leaves him with big vehicles. Even with smaller car seats and a booster, 3 across just won't happen in anything smaller than a Avalon or Taurus. He's kind of out of luck on the "fun to drive" part since 3 across seating in the rear simply means a big vehicle.

OR a third row. Yet, I researched all of them a few years ago, and kept up with the new models as well. Absolutely nothing smaller than a massive SUV or full sized van has the third row ahead of the rear crumple zone. So they *all* fail. Kids plus crumple zone equals a dead or mangled kid in a rear end crash. He has to have a two-row vehicle if he doesn't want a Surburban.

Note - someone else did mention a truck before me, so chill out a bit. Because most trucks these days don't look like a SUV (and they do have that kind of "cool" factor with 4WD and/or off-road tires), it *might* be an option. To me, his post screamed mostly of desperation about not having to settle for yet another mid-life jellybean or look like everyone else running around in their yuppie SUVs. A big stomping loud truck might be exactly the sort of "fun" he is interested in.

Lastly, I mentioned the Jeep because other than being a SUV, it does fit the other criteria. He has to make compromises in all of this. But it's 10K under budget, gets 30mpg, fits the kids, and looks unlike any other SUV out there.(I'd say it looks more like a lifted station wagon like the Volvo XC90 than a SUV) It just might appeal to him as different enough to be worth looking into. It's inexpensive, fun to drive (especially with the manual), and the whole thing has a "let it get dirty - just hose it off" aspect to it. Perfect for kids to grow up in without having a stroke about stains and clutter.

Hey, Jeeps are cool. If it's a SUV, at *least* get a Jeep.

Re #2 above....

I was thinking this over again, and there is another option worth considering if he can stand a *used* vehicle.

- Get a 2009 Pontiac G8. It doesn't get 30mpg. But you won't care. Why? Because it's the best car GM ever made. It has upgraded suspension, great looks, and most of all, is RWD and has the same engine as a Cadillac CTS. The V8 version? It has a Corvette engine in it. It does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.

It's stupidly fast for a GM car and handles like it grew up in another country (which it did, being the best selling car line in Australia). I honestly liked driving it more than the new Cadillac CTS by a small but significant amount. But wow it's a LOT cheaper. Much better visibility as well. Even new, it was 10K less. But used, well, you're looking at well under 20K.
    Actually Pletko...from the OP his requirements:

Must seat 5 – That is two adults in front and 2 car seats and a booster in back. ( I have twin 3 year olds and a 6 year old)

No SUV – I have a minivan so I am looking for a Sedan or Wagon
    At least 30 MPG – I commute 26 miles each way to work

Under $30K

None of your recommendations match these. There are many cars that will fit three car seats....not to mention two and a booster. Granted it will be very tight and most likely a complete PITA......and it also depends on the type of car seats. BUT it can be done and certainly doesn't require a truck...particularly if the person has no desire for a truck/van/suv. Then the wants....good performance, fun to drive...again none of your original recommendations come close. The G8 is a nice try and at least worth mentioning since it hits all but one....but there are obviously other choices that will check ALL the boxes.
    You're simply wrong, Plekto, about SO many things in addition to misreading the OP's criteria. Regarding your beloved Jeep Patriot, here is Consumer Reports summary of it:

A small, car-based SUV derived from the Dodge Caliber and mechanically similar to the Jeep Compass, the Patriot remains a mediocre vehicle overall. Handling is unimpressive, and even the up-level engine that comes with all-wheel-drive versions feels sluggish and sounds noisy. The seats are second-rate, and it's hard to find a good driving position. To its credit, the Patriot has an absorbent ride and well-suppressed road noise, and mostly simple controls. But that's not enough to compensate for its flaws.

CR also reported overall mileage as 21 mpg. And it's not as wide in the back seat as the Passat.

Yeah, it's half the price of the $30K limit the OP suggested, but since it doesn't fit ANY of his criteria, why mention it?