Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• bayvillianbayvillian Member Posts: 3
    From the research I've done it looks like if you dont use premium fuel your mileage and fuel economy will suffer. I will look more into them though. Nissan has been great to me.
    Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited March 2013
    I'm really not much of a truck person. I'd have to think, however, saddling one with a 4-cyl and auto trans is going to make it a dog no matter the brand.

Just comparing in my area, though, I can see there are more Dakotas than anything else and they are by far nicer for the money. Here are just a few examples.

This one even has 4 doors

Extended cab and 4x4

Standard cab '03

For comparison, an '01 Chevy 4-cyl.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Myself and my friends have owned pretty much every truck and SUV of note that's capable of off-road use or for work (as opposed to yuppie "soft-roaders").

The best two for work are the Chevy/GMC 1500 and the F150 (who would have guessed - heh )

Other than that, though, it comes down to one choice. Get a Toyota with the 3RZ engine in it. Get it with manual. The automatic is terrible but the older Toyota manuals are bulletproof. Mine lasted 280K miles before I had to get it replaced. And not a minute of that was anyone giving it any love, either. The truck is still running around somewhere in N. Cal I think with about 350K on it (sold it at almost 325K on it two years ago).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RZ_engine
    Nothing else works like it does in terms of low cost to maintain and the durability overall. There are several vehicles that used it, so you have a good range of years and models to look at. The newer TR and ZR 2.7L engines are also good, but they lack the tractor simplicity of the RZ.

And, yes, manual with short gearing and 160HP will out-accelerate most yuppic-mobiles unless they floor it. I found it to be extremely enjoyable to drive, even in So Cal traffic as I'd just leave it in 2nd or 3rd gear and trundle along in heavy traffic. And then when I had to dodge into a gap in traffic, I was already in the right gear.
    That's a tough order. One car came to mind, though, and that was the Pontiac G8. GM did a horrible job of marketing it, but it was the best selling car in Australia at the time. Quality is/was excellent and it's a good mid-sized sedan. Of note, though, is the fact that it is rear wheel drive so it turns and parks like a whole size smaller FWD car.

The problem is finding one as most people who have one simply aren't interested in selling theirs.

The only real downside is the fuel economy. It gets about 25mpg highway. But other than the issue of MPG, it's probably the best solution that I can work out since you won't want a European car. It does use normal 87 octane fuel, though, so that's worth about 2mpg right there vs a higher mpg car that requires premium.
    edited March 2013
    well, he specified auto trans. So how does the Toyota stack up with that in mind?

Hell, I still think the 22RE engine with manual trans was the most bulletproof setup ... but good luck finding that with low miles and no rust. :(

EDIT: I just looked it up. Even an '02 Tacoma 2wd reg cab with 100k miles is going to be well over the OP's budget.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• duransdurans Member Posts: 1
    I, too am looking to buy something different. I do not like driving what everyone else has. I had an appointment to test drive a Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT this weekend and sell my BMW. Was very serious about it, then I talked to my insurance agent and the insurance rates on the Maserati made me cancel everything! I LOVED my Jaguar S-Type R. 'She' did save me and daughter's life, we were hit by a drunk driver at 50+mph and 'she' held tough. I do not like the XF can't get over how it looks like a Chrysler in the front and Toyota in the back. :-( Can't seem to get too excited about the F-Type coming out this fall. When I say I prefer 'foreign' I mean European. I truly have looked and looked and I can't seem to get too excited about much. I am looking for something that when I go out into my garage I have a smile on my face. I like the look of a sedan. Two or Four door does not matter. I only buy used and don't mind the year, but would prefer that it look very close to it's newer counterpart. I'm not asking for much, right? LOL Would LOVE to hear everyone's opinions and perhaps check out cars I've overlooked. Much Thanks to everyone and I, in advance would like to Thank You for your time and input.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I worked at a Maserati dealer and the QP is indeed a nice car to drive, but servicing can get constly because these are very temperamental cars.

How much were you looking to spend?

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

edited March 2013
    what year was the maser? I would only consider one with the ZF auto trans, which was optional in '07 and standard since '08. I'm waiting for one of these to get down into my pricerange.

Peronally, I love the looks of the XF.

pricerange would definitely be helpful in this situation.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to talk to someone under the age of 30 who bought a car within the last few months. Please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, March 20, 2013 if you'd like to help.
  • brendab1brendab1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a new, full-size 4-door sedan for my father. The biggest concern is that he has had both a hip and knee replacement and needs extra room for his knee. In other words, in the Toyota Camry that he currently has, his right knee always bumps into the middle console. He used to have a Chevy Tahoe and loved the leg room, but for other reasons, he needs a sedan instead of an SUV, but one that has maximum room for the right knee.

$40,000 is the maximum he can spend, but he'd prefer something less expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Finding something without a center console is the trick. That's getting to be almost impossible in the sedan world....the only new vehicle I can think of is the Impala. It is still available with a front bench seat on certain models....and might not be a bad option for him. They're not the greatest vehicles by a long shot...but if used as intended they can be decent. I had a rental not long ago and outside of the sloppy handling it was fairly comfortable, good power, and impressive mpg. It's not something I would pick on its own...but if I needed a comfortable sedan and had a knee issue...it might be at the top of the list.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I had a spinal fusion when I was 30 and they had to saw into my right hip to get 'bone material' for the procedure. It was either that or cadaver bone and the success rate was much lower if I used the stuff from a corpse. The surgeon told me that I would have periodic pain in my hip for the rest of my life, but I didn't give it another thought. I was far more concerned about him cutting my throat, retracting my esophagus, removing the damaged discs in my cervical spine and inserting the hip bone material and protein powder in place of the two damaged discs! The he capped it off by putting titanium plates over it all and securing them with two screws in each of the three vertebrae...fun stuff! Long story short, I'm 38 now and my right hip hurts like a SOB quite often, especially in the car! I'm 6'2" and the center console in my Mazda3 is rather confining, especially on longer drives! So I can only imagine what it's like for your dad...

The choices are very few, unfortunately.

As mentioned, the 2013 Impala LS and LT are available with a 40/20/40 bench seat as an option for $195. It isn't available with the Sunroof or LT Luxury Package, so that means no Leather and no power adjustments for the driver's seat. Also, the 2014 Impala is a new design, so the 2013 will soon be gone!

That is really the only sedan without a center console. I know you said an SUV no longer met his needs, but what about a minivan? The Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna both have high dash-mounted shifters that allows a break between the center console and the dash. It would allow a lot of extra right leg room!

One other oddball that I'll include for the sake of being thorough is the Nissan Cube. I certainly don't like it and I doubt a former Tahoe owner would be interested, but it has a very low center console (near the floor) so it's well below the lever the front seats. I believe it originally came with a column shifter, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I'd buy an Odyssey EX or EX-L...but I hope you find something that will work for him! =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    The 2011 Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS could be had with bench seats up front. They are much, much better cars than the Impala. Since you'd be looking at CPO cars, I doubt if you'd even spend close to $30K, let alone $40K.
    Obviously if you start talking used there are are a few more options with bench seats. I would not say the Lucerne is "much, much better" than a '12 Impala. The powertrain difference alone would keep me in the more basic Impala. The Lucerne is very similar overall but has a few extra gizmos. Pass.

DTS is a nicer car if you can live with the performance to economy ratio being far less than many others. It's a shame the only options are antiques!!

I would be curious why a "sedan" is the only option. There are a couple cross-over type vehicles that might work...as mentioned the Soul. I'm thinking the CRV also has a lot more room up front.
    edited March 2013
    I'd say that the Impala is a significant step down from the Lucerne or DTS. The V8 in both is a great combination with the transmission. The seats are much better, and there are a lot of extras added if you get the better trim models.

Most of all, though, is that the Lucerne CXS and DTS with the performance trim has the same electronic suspension as a Corvette, the Audi R8, and the Ferrari 599. The electromagnetic suspension on it is a drastic step up and makes it handle better than a typical GM car half it's size. It frankly drives as nicely as a S Class. The new Range Rover Evoke uses it as well. And of course, most of the Cadillac line.

And that's a world better than any Impala. Shockingly so in actual driving. It's a shame that GM isn't marketing it more aggressively or including it in all of their vehicles. These cars may be "antiques" in your mind, but the reality is that it's the Impala that's still using 1980s technology underneath that shiny exterior.

Lastly, a typical CPO DTS or Lucerne will have hardly any miles on it. It's not hard to find CPO models with 20K or less on them. That's really not even worth worrying about when there's 10K or more in savings on the table.
    Last gen V8 with a 4-speed auto....ok I'll give you 90's tech. Impala has more HP from 3.6L and 6-speed auto...never mind much better fuel mileage.

And the bench seat isn't available in the CXS or Platinum DTS...so you're stuck with lower end models.....a very mediocre V6/4-speed combo on the Buick or plain jane lousy handling with the Caddy.

If you're stuck buying a mediocre car, you might as well buy the cheaper of them!
    I think the DTS with the performance option could be had with a bench seat. I'm not exactly sure about it, though. As for the engines, the Impala might make more hp at screaming high RPMs that would require you to literally be driving around town at 60mph in 2nd gear to achieve due to the mile-high gearing, but the V8s offer far more torque down low and as a result get in and out of traffic a lot better.

I'd say the DTS has a better interior by far, though, even in the base trim. As a bonus, the DTS has a terrible depreciation. It's closer to $30K for a 2011 model and that's great news for the original poster. $50K new and close to half that in three years. Problem solved and it's actually less than a new Impala. ($30K starting price, plus options?)

Add in lower initial registration and insurance as it's not "new", and you're looking at getting a Cadillac for Chevy prices. I'd call that an acceptable solution. But it's literally about the only one.

The comment about a crossover or small SUV (why only a sedan) does seem appropriate, though. A few small SUVs and crossovers have an open floorplan. Trucks do as well, as a rule, but most get terrible MPG (15 even on a good day as a rule). The Chevy Colorado gets car like mpg and has an open center console area, though. The Tacoma also does. Both drive a lot like cars now that they have gone to unibody construction.
  • skyl1skyl1 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    Hi,

Long time site visitor, first time poster. I'm currently trying to decide between a couple of cars I've had my eye on to replace a 95' Acura that's not going to pass inspection due to rust. I would appreciate any feedback I could get on these three options. Below are the cars and the carfaxs.

The first is a 2005 Honda Civic EX - 87k miles - $7900
    Carfax
    This seems like my most practical choice and the one I'm leaning towards most.

The second is a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid - 147k miles - $10,517
    Carfax
    I don't know too much about the hybrids, but I'd like something with great gas mileage since I'll be using it for my daily commute. I'm just not sure about the high number of miles on this car.

The third is a brand new 2013 ford focus SE with winter package - $14715

The ford focus would be great, and I really enjoyed driving the 2012 as a rental over the summer, but it's definitely the priciest of the three options, and would be pretty tight in my budget since it would come to ~$17,500 after titles and fees etc.. plus it's the most expensive as far as insurance goes. My other reservation is I don't know how good it will be after I have it paid off, I don't want to end up servicing a lot later in it's life (after it gets past 100k miles).

Any help with deciding between these and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    First decide how much you really want to spend. Big difference between $9000 and $17,500. Then decide if a high-miles older Civic or a new Focus are the only cars you'd want to buy to replace your Acura. There's a LOT of good cars available for under $17,500... e.g. 2010-11 Civics with low miles, some CPO cars. And 2007-10 Accords with low to middling mileage. Or how about this... 2005 TSX, 74k miles, under $13k + TTL? Those are all in my area; YMMV.
    edited March 2013
    You like Civics. That's good. And you like high MPG cars. Great.

There is a Civic for you that does all of that and averages about 60-70mpg. The trick is that it runs on CNG, which sells for half the price of gasoline, or sometimes a bit less. So the equivalent MPG our of your pocket at the end of the day is about 60-70mpg. When you can get CNG for under $2 a gallon equivalent, and it fills just as fast as a gas pump, it's really an awesome deal for someone who commutes every day.

You will have to search around to see if there's a filling option in your area (usually at municipal yards, which by law have to allow the public to also fill there, though it's not always the cheapest place). As a bonus, the cars also get carpool access pretty much forever as they are true alternate fuel vehicles.

The cars also pollute so little that it's hard to actually measure it with a smog test. In some cases, the air is actually cleaner than the local pollution. Also, the cars last forever due to there being virtually no grime when it burns (oil looks like new when changed, almost)

You can also get a device for about $3000 or so that fills it overnight in your garage. So you become your own gas station and pay about 1/3 of the price of gasoline.

The downsides are two. One, it has a 200 mile range between fills. And the trunk is 1/3 the normal size as the tank's back there. Used, they run about 10-15K and are right in your price range.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Why limit your choices to just three cars? If you like the Civic, why not pay a little more and get a newer CPO model with lower miles? Maybe a 2009 or 2010? Not as much $$ as a new one but you will be spending less on repairs than with an older Civic. Whatever you choose, make sure to have any used car checked out by a mechanic before you buy.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I'd like to add that I have a relative that has a CNG Civic and commutes 40 miles each way every day to work. He puts about 20K a year on it and calculates that he spends about $1300-$1500 a year in fuel. In the 8 years that he's owned it, he figures he's saved well over $10,000 in fuel.

It drives exactly like a normal Civic, other than having half the range between fills and a much smaller trunk.(about the size of the trunk in a Mini - not useless, just smaller)
    This is not a practical choice for most people. The poster asked about two specific vehicles that both use gasoline. You made your point. Now move on.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    It sounds like you're leaning toward the 05 Civic because it is easier on your budget, at least initially. Nothing wrong with that, and I chose that option recently myself (used vehicle at a much lower price). However, as others have mentioned, you'll want to have it checked out by a mechanic prior to purchase. While Civics are generally reliable, that can vary greatly depending on how well it was maintained, and you'll want to know going into the purchase whether there are any obvious pending maintenance or repairs that need to be done.

If the Focus is going to stretch your budget right now, it's probably not worth it. I'd buy used, then sock away as much money as you can to help with a downpayment on a new vehicle in a few years.

I'd avoid the Civic Hybrid, personally. We've seen lots of reports about issues with the IMA battery on that model, and some owners have experienced a rather drastic reduction in MPG - if that happens, you won't reap the savings on fuel that you would hope to with a hybrid.

Just on person's opinion!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I found one more which looks to be in my price range, and is newer than the 05' yet has fewer miles than the Hybrid.
    2009 Honda Civic LX with 76663 miles
    Here's the Carfax

I do like the idea of getting something relatively newer so that it won't have as many issues, do you think this might fit the bill?

Thank you all for your responses so far!
    Well, the EX you linked earlier has an automatic transmission and is a sedan. The LX you linked to has manual transmission and is a coupe.

The 2009 is obviously going to have some more modern features, like MP3 input and keyless entry. If the manual vs. automatic and coupe vs. sedan difference isn't important to you, then the LX looks like a better deal for you. High miles for its age, but the Carfax shows that it at least had regular maintenance performed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The MT is the way to go on a Civic, for fun and economy, if you can drive a stick.

Also the 2009 is safer (standard curtain airbags, better crash worthiness) than the 2005, which was an older generation).
  • 1_21gigawatts1_21gigawatts Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle. I have no real preferences other than:
    no convertibles, trucks, SUVs, coupes

Leaning to mid/full size sedan, crossover, hatchback.

I was a "lay down" last time I bought, but I'm here to learn.
    I really like cars with convenient tech.
    The Fusion Titanium is a front runner, there's also Accord EX-L w/Navi
    Altima was, but I read about major issues with them. I've considered an Optima as well.

I believe that I would fit into the "well qualified lessee" category finally, so that option is on the table and it could put me into more car than I've considered.

Thursday I am going to drive a Fusion and Accord again. Any others I should add to Thursday plan? Plan is to try and negotiate a good price Friday due to EOM.
    edited March 2013
    This is not a practical choice for most people. The poster asked about two specific vehicles that both use gasoline.

I doubt if one person in a hundred even knows that Honda makes the Civic with a CNG option. For long distance highway commuters, it's a very frugal choice provided there is a filling station in your area. As gas prices climb to $5 a gallon this summer, it might be a bit more appealing to people, though.

The original poster did mention a Civic. If the Civic came with CDI engine as an option (like it does in the U.K.) , I'd have also recommended it.
    As gas prices climb to $5 a gallon this summer

Oh good grief. Do we need to help spread this rumor every year? :sick:

Gas prices increase every summer due to greed by the oil companies. Gas has remained over $4 a gallon for more than a year where I live, with it hitting $4.70 a gallon last summer. So $5 a gallon this summer, I bet I see darn close to it.

Welcome to California. Now open your wallet.
    edited March 2013
    It would have to go up 15% to even hit $4 here in NJ, so I still don't see anyone caring about a CNG car here, or in most US markets, for that matter.

In any case, some folks have been chanting the sky is falling every year around this time for many years now, and it has yet to happen. I guess as long as it keeps getting repeated, it has to be right EVENTUALLY, and those folks can finally say "I told you so!"

To be fair....we do keep getting closer to that number! I buy over two million gallons of diesel a month....I kind of know the fuel market. The only thing I can add is the contracts I'm signing today for fuel through March 2014, the price is less than todays spot price by a few pennies. So short of silly things...I don't see the prices going to $5.00 anytime soon. Maybe California but they're in a different world when it comes to fuel. They rent moving vans everyday.....
    To be fair....we do keep getting closer to that number!

We've been much closer before, though. It fluctuates, of course. Unless some crisis happens, I think we'll still be cheaper this summer than last.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    Even at $6/gal, I'm pretty sure we won't all be running on CNG.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well, certainly not any time soon. There's not a single CNG fueling station anywhere in my area. Only 2 in my entire state, and the nearest one is 120 miles away. Not very practical for most people.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Unfortunately, we will still be using gas for a long, long time. But with CNG at a gallon equivalent for $1.95 versus $3.95 (cheapest I could find within 15 miles of me), it's going to get more and more people's attention.
    The other problem is there's very few used CNG Civics available... I just did a search and found fewer than 100 in the USA, none within 120 miles of me--and I live in a metro area of 2.5 M people! And most of the cars are in CA. So if you live in CA near a CNG station and don't stray too far from home, maybe not a bad idea. But for most people... probably not.
    If you check online, though, there are almost a thousand stations nationwide. There are also major tax incentives in most states and from the Federal Government.

And, GE is working on making a $500 device that fills in your garage. Which means you avoid the gas taxes and other idiocy as well as never run out of gas or have to look for it. Most people don't drive more than 200 miles a day, so it's perfect once at-home fueling becomes the norm. They say it will be ready in a year or less. Then the game completely changes. $500 to not have to deal with a gas station, ever? That's worth it right there.

My relative has a CNG Civic. It's OK (not a Mustang or similar - heh), but it costs him $16 to fill his tank. No joke. Not a typo. $16. And he gets carpool access as well. He has to fill up every other day, but it's utterly painless since it's really pocket change and he'd be filling up for $50 every four days with a normal Civic. Plus, he gets some of that "bling" factor for being a techno-weenie :P It's a whole other level above a hybrid in terms of being eco-friendly and cutting edge.

Repairs? It's a Civic. Enough said :) note - the same can't be said for the GM and Ford CNG vehicles, unfortunately.
  • viksyviksy Member Posts: 2
    Hello to everyone,
    I drive a 2002 bmw 330 and I am looking to buy a small / midsize sedan. I am looking for suggestions on what car (make/model) will come closest to my bmw's performance specifically low end torque. My budget is in the 22K-24K range and if the car is used, not older than 2010 and not more than 30K miles. And it must be a STICK!
    So far I test drove the Dart (great car but a little underpowered) and the Focus SXT (out of my budget but I loved it). Any other suggestions?
    Thank you,
    Vik
    A 2010 328i would fit your budget.

• prrprrprrprr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Civic with 165,000 on it. So far it has been fairly reliable. I bought it in 2005 at 82,000, and so far there have only been a few repairs required on non-maintenance items. Brakes, tires, spark plugs, and belts are all fairly recent and won't need to be replaced anytime soon.

I'm wondering now if I should sell this car for $1,500 or so, and get a newer Toyota Echo at around 100,000 miles (they are going for $4-5,000 right now). I'm wondering if I'm about to enter a period when I'll be needing to put in lots of money to keep this Civic going. When I bought the Civic, I junked the Corolla I had because I would have had to pay some $2,000 to install a rebuilt engine, and I had already put in $2,400 in repairs in the last 24 months for that Corolla. I was thinking that if I had known that I was going to put that much money in repairs alone into the Corolla, I would have sold it 2 years before, and bought the Civic then.

What I'm thinking is that I want to sell my Civic before I enter this period of costly maintenance on it. Is it reasonable to expect a Civic to go 200 or even 250 thousand, before everything goes out on it? The Corolla I was talking about had the engine seize up at 250,000, which prompted me to junk it for 100 bucks, rather than fix it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    That's what I was thinking..

Just get a newer 3-Series.. The prettier front-end started in '09, I think, so I'd start there..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• newcargirl5000newcargirl5000 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I'm about to buy my first new car (had an used one for years til it died.) A few questions:
    1) is it worth it to get rubberized floor mats?
    2) I'm getting the base model 2.0i with fog lights. What's the difference between black bezels and beige bezels on the fog lights--anyone have links to photos so I can see the difference?
    3) I have a few dealers. One gave me a guarantee of the out-the-door price (my neighbor has bought from them and was satisfied.) Another gave me a lower price ($25 less but he's throwing in floor mats & a cargo tray.) Haven't spoke with him yet about a guaranteed out-the-door price (I did a search on car woo, he gave me a price, I called a few weeks later--he's also a zag dealer and contacted him through that--he initially gave me a higher price, when I told him he had submitted to through car woo for a bit cheaper, he said he'd honor the price--a $250 savings.) I've heard horror stories about dealers lying. I don't want to travel a long distance to have the rug pulled out from under me with the price. Any advice? Suggestions?
    Many Thanks.
    edited March 2013
    #3 It sounds like they're all relatively close on price...but I never buy JUST on that. Find which dealer has the better service dept. Ask questions about loaner cars, timing of service, etc. Ask your friends about their experiences. I'll gladly pay more (sometimes a lot more) to get better service. Yes you can take your car anywhere for service/warranty work but I guarantee you'll get treated better if that service also comes from where you bought the vehicle. Good dealers will go to bat for you to get non-warranty work covered as well, and many require you to have bought your vehicle there to get free loaners, etc. So don't get too hung up over $250-$500 and some floor mats. That can easily pay for itself with better service.
    I agree with everything in the first reply. Yes, rubber mats are worth it unless you live in a dry climate! I'll bet the first dealer would throw them in if you asked. I've never had a dealer refuse. Ask about splash guards too.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • viksyviksy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input folks - I looked up local prices and there are 3 series a plenty available in my area under 25K. Heck even carmax had a couple that fit my criteria :-).
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Our courier for my company drives a CNG Civic (2012). Just throwing that out there and "participating."

I think CNG has a fighting chance with municipalities and companies large enough to fuel them up themselves.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I'd keep the Civic. Buying a used Echo gives you no guarantees that things might start to go wrong on it either.

If it wasn't maintained well you might end up with a few unexpected repairs all of a sudden.

Since you owned the Civic for a while you should have a basic idea and schedule on what items will need replacing soon.

If it's routine maintenance and nothing major keep your Civic.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

edited April 2013
    Hi all, I've narrowed my choices down between two cars, and it's really difficult to decide.
    The first car is a 2009 Mazda 3 - 45,000 miles, $12,000 Private Party
    fully loaded with leather heated seats, bose stereo, moon roof. Owner insists it has a clean car fax which he'll show me when I look at it. It's also automatic which would be nice since I do a lot of stop and go traffic in my daily commute, and that way my girlfriend could drive it if we take it on a road trip or something.

The second car is a 2011 Mazda 3 - 17,000 miles - $12,900 Dealer Carfax
    This is just the basic model, but it got better reviews from consumer's reports than the 09, and it's really low miles which is great! I feel like it'd almost be like buying new. It is a manual, which would be fun, but again driving it in stop and go is killer on manuals and my foot, and forget about my gf being able to drive it. Still I feel like it would last longer and might make the most financial sense. I think it might also still be under warranty (not sure). I'm torn though, the 09 seems really nice and it'd be great for those cold winters we get here.

This is why I need advice. Am I being dumb drolling over the 09 while I secretly know that the 11 makes more sense, or would the 09 actually be a good purchase?

I'm going to see the 2011 today and have yet to see the 09. Should I see them both before deciding? Any help to sway me one way or another would be appreciated.