Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• asparagus33asparagus33 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    Hey all. I've had a lot of trouble deciding on what I want for my first car, so I was hoping you guys could maybe help me out. I'm looking for mid to full-size used sedan in for around $5000-6000. I am an 18 year old guy so insurance is a factor and I can't go for anything too sporty.

So far I've looked at some Pontiac Grand Prixs and I really like them, but my mom's very worried about the safety ratings on them (she's the one paying for most of the car). The frontal driver crash ratings seem ok, but the side impact crash ratings are pretty poor from what I've seen (link title). I'm kind of new to the car market so I'm not really sure how important these ratings are. Of the other cars that I've looked at I've also liked the Acura Integra, Nissan Maxima, Chevrolet Impala (although I've heard that these don't hold their value too well and while I like the exterior and the way they drive, I don't really like their interior), and Infiniti G35. I've also been inside an Audi A4 and I really like those as well, but they're probably a little too expensive for me to maintain at this stage in my life as I will be a college student next year. While I've liked all these cars I also haven't really found any that click like the Grand Prix. I also really really like the Pontiac G8 (outside my price range), so if there's a car similar to it that I have overlooked, I would probably like that as well.

So down to the more specific criteria. As far as styling goes I like cars that have kind of sporty exteriors like the G8/Impala and sleek interiors like the Audi A4, G8 or Grand Prix. Fuel efficiency doesn't matter too much as I won't be driving the car very far all that often, but I don't want a real gas hog either. I also don't really want car older than a 2000. The car also needs to be fairly reliable as I can't afford to spend too much money maintaining it. It also needs to be pretty safe as I've mentioned before. Finally I should mention that I'm going to avoid any Volkswagens right now as my family has had a bad experience with them in the past.

Thanks in advance for any help in narrowing down my choices. I'm having a lot of trouble.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    edited August 2013
    Hey Craig - how are ya? You know that I hold you in high regard and my observation is that you are an honest straight shooter. If you were still in the business and nearby, I'd probably be doing my Honda buying/leasing from you. What I have found these past 5-10 years is that the better dealers have established and operate effective Internet Sales Departments. The ones that only go through the motions and try to put on a face are easily exposed by the way they interact with customers. You know from your experience that it is difficult to conduct negotiations over the phone and all too many dealers put on the hard sell while you are at their location because they know when you leave you may not return. I prefer to work my way to a target price via email now - there might be a couple phone calls along the way but I won't go to a dealer until the numbers are nailed down and I have written confirmation in hand. And as I say, after you've done this for awhile, it is fairly easy to pick out the good Internet depts from the not so good (the way you were probably able to distinguish the buyers). I realize that the way you've described the store you worked at, it sounds customer friendly. But for the most part, dealers still put buyers through the wringer (especially the inexperienced ones) if they show up unprepared.

Thanks for listening,

Bill
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    At that price point your first criterion is a trouble-free car that runs well. Of the vehicles you mentioned, I would suggest an early 2000s Maxima. Those are great cars but they do require premium fuel. But you might take a look at a Toyota Camry or a Buick LeSabre. They are not the most exciting to drive, but they will run forever and parts are plentiful. Any car at that price will have around 100k on it, so have it checked out very carefully before you buy.

A smaller hatch you might look at is the Pontiac Vibe.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Besides the Impala, everything you listed will likely be expensive to insure. The grand-prix might not be terrible but sometimes just "looking" sporty will cost you big money. I have no clue what state you're in or what other factors you have for insurance, but since you mention that cost is a factor, I think you should discuss this with your (moms) insurance agent.

Buying a $5k Acura/Infiniti/Audi is likely a very bad idea anyway due to potential repair costs and it doesn't sound like you're ready to self-mechanic. Those can be ok investments if you're handy with tools and have access to salvage parts, but otherwise you'll spend a fortune paying someone else to do it.

I actually like the Impala idea if you like it. They're relatively reliable and cheap to buy/operate.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited August 2013
    If you find yourself interested in the Vibe or Toyota Matrix (same car basically) then avoid a manual transmission. Your price point would buy you one ready to blow up as they were a poor design. I have been unable to confirm if Toyota Corolla uses the same manual transmission as the Vibe, but suspect they are also to be avoided.
    The autos in all 3 were fine.
    But these are a bit on the small side given your size requirements.
    In order to help keep insurance costs in check, avoid 2 door coupe types, and basically any model that many young drivers are drawn to. Statistically, there are more insurance claims with those types and the premiums reflect that. It was good advice to check with your insurance agent prior to a purchase. Any offer to purchase should always have a clause along the lines of "subject to my financial ability to insure".
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I rarely feel comfortable telling someone else what choice *they* should make. After all, I'm not sure what your financial situation is, and I'm not sure what would make you happier, and I'm also not sure how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

However, if I were looking at those two options, it'd be the LS430 all day long. This is simply because I'd be perfectly happy with a used vehicle at a lower purchase price, and from everything I've seen (and those I know who own that vehicle), they tend to last forEVER. The Accord probably will too, but at a higher entry price.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    Sounds like we have similar perspective, don't care about "new" just quality long lasting reliable where most depreciation already out after 5-6 yrs. have a 99 ls 400 MINT only 84k mi (just did major timing belt idler pulley svc, and new plugs etc ) we love and need a 2nd veh for myself if I give the 99 to my wife. Drive about 12-15k per yr Tend to think 04-04 ls 430s last great ls before cost cutting etc and agree with sac they should last loooong time
    Thanks for the help guys.

I think I'm gonna go for an Impala or a Toyota Avalon. There's one in my price range nearby that I'm going to go look at.

What do you think of an Acura Integra/RSX?
    "What do you think of an Acura Integra/RSX? "

Nice cars. Great for kids who's parents can afford the high insurance premiums. I had a relative that bought one for his 16yo son and I remember he ended up buying some cheap beater car to put as his primary car because the rates were sky high on the RSX.
    Ok cool thanks for the help.
  • acemanhattanacemanhattan Member Posts: 79
    Thoughts on this make/model/year/price ?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4010453526.html
    Meh, never mind. We already talked about Accents.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    All I can say is we have a '08 in our stable for my kid and it's been almost flawless...they did replace a faulty brake switch last year and a battery. Besides oil change and rotations and new blades, that's it. Car has now close to 14k on the clock and drives extremely nicely. I cam honestly say that we'd buy any other Hyundai/Kia product in a heart beat and I predict next year, there will be another one in the garage here.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Great that you have good experience with one. Consumer Reports survey stats don't think much of them as a used car, though. They do recommend other Hyundai makes such as the Elantra and Sonata. I'd go with something else that has a better track record.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Thoughts on a 2008 Versa w 78k miles for $9,888?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2013
    For the love of Pete! Lol! You'd consider that little econo dog whose life is probably half over, when for less than twice that you could get a brand new Mazda3, Corolla, or Civic, financed at almost 0% that would likely give you a decade of trouble free driving....In any case, you said you wanted a car that looked nice for your wife to be in. That one ain't it imho.

The Versa is a small and rather unsafe car, which gets 27 mpg combined, compared to the larger and much safer Civic that gets 32 mpg. So you save about 300 a year on gas with a Civic, which over a decade means a savings of 3000. Plus, it's highly unlikely you'll be driving the Versa in the year 2023. Before that you'll almost certainly need to buy a another car costing more $$. A new car is likely to be doing ok in 2023, and have some ok resale value. I feel like this stuff is water going over a duck's back. But as you said, the paradox is that used can cost more than new in the long run of a decade. Are you sharing any of this with your wife? What about turning some of the decision over to her? Can you put her on the line? ;-)
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    People here are happy to spend your money, aren't they? :) but truth is, the Versa doesn't have the greatest reliability ratings and was surprisingly poor on fuel economy for its day.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Man that seems like a lot of money for a half used up Versa. I assume it's at a dealer? What model? If it's a loaded SL that might be a starting point on the price. If it's just an S model it way overpriced.

I don't know about reliability on these but it seems even the worst reliable vehicles these days aren't half bad. It's not like an '85 chevy where it's a gonner at 78k if you're super lucky.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    yeah, that is crazy for that car, IMHO. Hell, skip the features and buy a new one for $12k.

Just looking real quick, I'm finding '09 Versa SL hatchbacks with under 40k miles for under $10k.

Slightly more interesting to me are the following few examples in that same range (under 40k, under $10k):
    '08 Scion xB
    '06 Malibu (LT v6, 29k miles)
    '04 Buick Century (43k miles for $7990)

And with a few more miles:
    '04 Mazda 6i (55k miles, $8499)
    '05 Crown Vic (46k miles)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

benjamin,

Would you mind telling me what % of your net income you budget for transportation related expenses?
    With all due respect ace, you're the one asking for advice, not Benjamin. You're the one shopping for a vehicle and it just seems like you are all over the map. You need to sit down and determine your needs, criteria, and budget. Then do your research, find a car that you think meets your needs, decide whether you want it and if you do, buy it.

Bill G
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    My other girl has this exact model and though the mileage it gets is nothing to write home about, it's a comfortable vehicle and it gets the job done. The CVT is fine once one gets used to it. Personally, I think you are all over the map here and if you don't want to purchase brand new, which it seems you don't, I'd go for a used domestic in this case even though we are import buyers. You will be able to get more bang for your buck this way and parts are readily available. the domestics have come a long way and I don't see how you could go wrong here.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

With all due respect Bill, every time I get on this site I am, as you say, sitting down to determine my needs, criteria, and budget.

I came into this thread with a specific budget & a type of car in mind; through the course of this thread I've learned what adjustments I might need to make to both my budget and types of car I can expect to purchase. Who cares if I've been all over the map in the process, this is something I know next to nothing about (as I was up front about), so why shouldn't I be?

Benjamin continues to insist that purchasing a 2013 civic that over the course of the next 5 years will cost me (by edmunds.com calculations) $564 is a wise decision. Not only does he insist this, he, with "lol's" and "great pete" exclamations, tries to drive home the absurdity of doing anything but that. Since I don't want to completely assume that Benjamin simply doesn't know how to give good advice, or doesn't know how to tailor his advice to a specific person's needs, I am trying to check in with Ben to see what other pieces of information (like what he thinks a reasonable amount to budget on transportation is) might give me reason to believe his advice makes sense for me.
    I appreciate the continued input and your collective wisdom so far.
    If I recall correctly, I think Benjamin's point is that if you bite the bullet now and purchase a dependable new vehicle, you will still have something that has some value at the end of your intended use - and encounter a lot less hassle along the way. The drawback is you will have a car payment. The folks on the other side of this say to heck with that - buy a good used vehicle and save your bucks. Problem is most used vehicles in your price range will be purchased "as is" and it will be a gamble as to how much it will cost you in the long run. You are the one who needs to decide - spend your 7 grand and have no payments or buy new and have a car payment. Now this is just my opinion - if I was able to swing the payments and go new - I would do that. If not, I'd plunk down the 7 grand and hope for the best.

Benjamin has offered you solid advice and shouldn't have to qualify it. You can weigh what he has said to the others' advice and make your choice based on what you feel will fit your needs and financial situation.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Bill
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    In his defense, I'm in the market for a new car when the right deal comes along. I've driven an Optima EX, an Accord EXL V6, an Altima 2.5SV, and a Ram Truck. I'm in a 2009 Sonata.

You don't always have a set category you fall into. Maybe with "needs" but not necessarily "wants." ace is just chasing some rabbits that catch his or her eye; there's nothing wrong with that.
    edited August 2013
    Except that one doesn't get to arbitrarily assign the label of "solid" to advice, Bill.

He has suggested paying $200 more per month than I would pay if I simply stuck with what I currently have (and this assumes that my maintenance costs would be pretty high) and it's trivially easy to show how that decision actually costs me $60,000 in lost investment earning. I also imagine he would suggest doing this multiple times over a lifetime. This, on its face, is not even remotely"solid" advice but, because I like to understand where people are coming from, I've asked him a question to see if there is merit to it.

If Benjamin doesn't want to answer my question, a question that was asked in good faith so that I could reevaluate my own assumptions about vehicle related expenditures relative to income, that is fine and I am not offended.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2013
    I have my point of view, but honestly I was joking.

Used can work fine, and for your budget might be a better choice.

A Versa of that vintage for that price didn't seem like the best choice to me. If a c. 6 year old Versa costs c. 10k, I was wondering if maybe a new car for c.17k should be considered, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Seems like used cars have gone up a lot in the last few years. A lot of the choices you are sending to us seem like a lot of money for the car involved.

If I annoyed you, I apologize.

All best wishes with your search.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I've been genuinely appreciative of your input. I didn't see that the tone of that post was in jest, rather it seemed I was being mocked for not just going the "purchase new" route.

It isn't that I've thought your advice is bad, it's simply that I've got a certain kind of budget to work with (though I am adjusting it up and considering financing a portion) and that buying new doesn't fit into that budget.
    There are good deals out there for a lightly used economy car. You just have to find the right one. Typically, Honda and Toyota are not good used buys. I strongly suggest Mazda, but there are other decent choices out there for the money.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to pull up some auction data. Looking at 2009 models with ~45k miles, this is what I find:
    Versa Sedan S=~$7k.
    mazda 3i sport=~$7500.
    Yaris sedan=~$7500.
    Focus SE sedan=~$8500.
    Jetta 2.5S=~$8500.
    mazda 6i sport=~$9k.
    Elantra GLS=~$9k.
    Scion xD=~$9500.
    Civic LX=~$10k.
    Accord 4c LX=~$11k.
    Scion xB=~$11k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks for this list.

I hadn't considered a Yaris but particularly like it. In that price range, with those kind of miles and the fuel economy, it looks like a steal.
    edited August 2013
    just realize those are dealer auction numbers. Retail would be about $2k-2500 above that.

I think the mazda3 is far more car than the Yaris.

I guess there's some confusion - I thought you were in the market for a vehicle and that your budget is $7000. If keeping the car you currently have is an option and that helps your overall financial situation, then by all means, keep your current vehicle until it's no longer financially feasible.
    Not a bad list. I'd go with the Consumer Reports best bets though. Some on your list are there too.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited August 2013
    Still on the hunt. What are your thoughts on this car? If not at this price, what price makes this a buy?

It's been listed for a while now (maybe at a higher price for a while?).

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4021021155.html
    Well if you're looking at book values, the price is well off the map. But this is old enough that condition should dictate what it's really worth. If it's really as big of a cream puff as they're making it out to be....and it checks out 100% by a mechanic....it's worth whatever you're willing to pay. I would try to get it close to $5k but this could be a very good vehicle and maybe worth the coin if you're going to keep it awhile.
    It doesn't say what trim -- if it's the basic DX that's more like $3000 and would be a very good buy if it checks out mechanically. $6000 seems high for a 12 year old economy car. Did you look at private party value on the Edmunds used car site? It adjusts for your area (I don't know Portland zip code so I plugged in mine in the midwest, which is where I got $3000). It might be more on Kbb which usually shows higher figures.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited August 2013
    It appears that it is the LX (picture from the back has the LX emblem), which, if in outstanding condition has a private party value of $4,500 on Edmunds and $4,000 on KBB.

If you're going the private party route, how closely would you expect your purchase price to reflect KBB or Edmunds suggested value? It seems that cars are routinely priced 40% higher than suggested by those sites. In that case (which seems like most cases) it's hard to imagine landing at the suggested price since it would require offering them SUBSTANTIALLY less than what they are asking.
    Also, for frame of reference, in terms of used cars of a different make, what kind of cars is an 02 Civic with 113k miles comparable to?

08 Kia w 50k? 06 Hyundai w 75k? Etc.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Too many variables to answer this question really. Mainly because we have no idea the service maintenance history of any of those examples. The only way you could make an educated comparo based on that, would be to drive each. If you are fairly perceptive with your driving, the drive would reveal which one had the best maintenance history. If, on paper, they all proved the same service history, then I suspect the Civic (assuming it didn't need any steering gear replacements, like a ball joint) would probably feel better than the lesser miled Kia of that generation. Was it in 02 Civic went to McPherson strut from the double wishbone front? As another example, I would say the strut quality used in the Honda would be better than those used in the others mentioned.

The Honda engines were definitely superior in this class if all serviced equally.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Couple of things...

1) a 2002 LX is really poor in safety... no ABS... no side airbags, for example.
    2) the car has a timing belt I believe... which would be due for replacement at 120k miles. A pricey service.

I think for $6k or a little more you could get a much newer car (not a Civic of course) with full set of airbags and ABS (and maybe ESC). For example, I recently bought a 2005 Mazda6i Sport hatch in great condition for only $4900, from an Infiniti dealer. It has 160k miles on it, but highway miles and was well maintained by its one lady owner. Has 6 airbags, ABS, and traction control. And a heckuva much nicer car than a 2002 Civic... roomy, power seat, leather wheel, 17" five-spoke alloys, hatchback convenience etc. Had to replace the alternator already, but that cost $160 part/labor. And it has a timing chain, not a belt.
    Ace - I had a 2003 Civic LX - gave me 63k trouble free miles. Is this one owner? Couldn't tell in the ad. By the pics, it looks very well cared for but a car can be made to look great with a good detailing. I agree with those who say you should be able to get the price down - maybe to 4500? Of course, contingent on a thorough inspection by a good mechanic. Car looks nice though. I liked mine but upsized to an accord.

Bill G
    Thanks gang. I asked him if he'd consider KBB/Edmunds prices closer to $4,250 (I don't know if that's a good negotiation tactic, but it's straightforward) and he said he wouldn't.
    Well, then it may be overpriced. For the record, according to Edmunds, the LX did have side curtain airbags and double wishbone rear suspension. No ABS though. We all did live without it for a very long time! My current '04 Vibe doesn't have them either.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    The 2002 Civic never had side curtain airbags. Those didn't come to the Civic until the 2006 redesign. The 2002 Civic did offer as an OPTION front-seat-mounted side airbags. They would help only the driver and front passenger; not the same thing as side curtain airbags which protect all passengers except the rear middle.

For both ABS (optional) and standard side airbags on a 2002 car that could be had at a good price, and IMO a better car than the 2002 Civic, try the Elantra.
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for clarifying. The info of options is a little confusing. Yes, I did see it as an option. Those only were standard on more upmarket cars like my '01 Maxima. But it does mean that this Civic might have them and might be something to find out or use in negotiating a lower price if they don't, as well as lacking ABS. You're generally not going to find standard ABS and the better side curtain airbags as standard equipment on mainstream cars before 2006. That the Elantra may had them that early surprises me, but I still think the Civic overall will be a longer-lasting car from that era than the Elantra. According to Edmunds the '02 Elantra's air bags were also the front mounted type.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Edmunds is wrong. Starting in fall of 2000, the 2001 Elantra was the first car in its class to have side airbags standard. I should know, I owned one. :-)

My sister still owns that 2001 Elantra and it's held up quite well. I still own a 2004 Elantra, from the same generation, and after nearly 10 years in the Rust Belt it's held up great, would still look new if not for parking lot dings/scratches, and has been very reliable.

When I bought that 2001 Elantra I also looked at the then all-new 2001 Civic. Not only did it cost thousands more than the Elantra, but the Elantra offered much more power, smoother and more quiet ride, more comfortable driving position (8-way adjustable seat), more interior room (EPA mid-sized class by volume), longer warranty, and the standard side airbags. Now as a used car, if you can find a well-maintained Elantra of that 2001-2006 generation, it would make a very nice vehicle IMO. The main downside is that ABS/TCS is optional and hard to find. Standard ABS starting in 2007.
    edited August 2013
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/4031940049.html

I test drove this vehicle at a dealership and, not surprisingly, it drove fine like a 4 owner Corolla w/ 100k would. I don't know what an "outstanding" car actually looks like, it is certainly clean (but by no means flawless), but KBB and Edmunds both suggest that the dealership price ranges from $5,000 to $6,100 depending on whether it is clean or outstanding.

What is my best bet for getting the car somewhere in the middle of that price range? When I was there he mentioned that he had "a couple hundred to work with." Of course I'd have a mechanic check it out first, but that isn't even worth my time if it turns out they won't drop their asking price substantially.
    edited August 2013
    Once again I would use safety and other features as bargaining points to lower the price. On that car side curtain airbags were optional, so it probably doesn't have them. Probably no ABS either. Does it have a CD player? Remote entry? I would start several hundred dollars lower and bargain down depending on what it lacks. Once you get a price, get it checked out. That way, if something is wrong (say, CV boots), you can ask them to fix it at the price you've already agreed upon.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Suydam,

You're correct, it has neither ABS or side curtain airbags, and it does not have remote entry (or sun-roof or a handful of other things). When you say "start several hundred dollars lower," what price point are you talking going lower than? Lower than the sticker price or lower than the $5,000-$6,000 suggested dealer retail price?