Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• Options
    kd6aw1kd6aw1 Member Posts: 116
    Fun car
    Fast
    rear wheel drive
    Sports car handling
    Roomy for four
    Will make you smile
    Not too expensive

We love ours and wouldn't have anything else even though we have owned most.

Buy it and fall in love.

Paul and Joan
  • Options
    claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    If it had a manual transmission. Who wants a "Fun, fast, rear wheel drive car with sports car handling" with a slushbox? You might as well buy the TL if you don't care about driving. At least the TL has Honda reliability and resale value.
  • Options
    silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I have been considering trading to a smaller, less expensive car as I adjust to a new (read: tighter) economic situation. Tops on my list of small cars are the Protege and the Civic. I think they are both very attractive cars and reliable. The Civic has better resale value but the Protege can be purchased for less (if I use the S plan) plus there's that tempting 0% financing option.

I drive a midsize car now (a Camry V6) and I'm wondering about the adjustment as far as ride and comfort. My one major gripe with my current car is that it doesn't handle as tightly as I would like, it's not very confidence inspiring on sharp turns, etc. And I admit to a yearning for a bit more ... "pizzazz" stylewise. But I do appreciate the smooth, quiet ride. I'm not sure how well I will adjust from driving a midsize to a smaller car that will bring a different experience.

I have considered refinancing my car to get out of the financing package that I'm in (which I have determined is not an optimal or advantageous program now that I've learned more about car financing). I really want to get out of this program and into a loan with the lower interest rates. And I want to purchase not lease. Hence, my shift to looking a smaller, less expensive cars that I could afford to buy.

I'm just not sure which is the better financial deal: a refinance on a larger car that I bought new and maintained perfectly, but which is almost out of warranty and has a potential sludge problem or a fresh start (at an even lower interest rate) with a new vehicle that is smaller, but has a full warranty and no known engine flaws.

I moved from a small car (a Saturn) to a midsize because I felt I needed the extra room for family trips. That is no longer true and as a single person with no children (and few passengers), I don't necessarily need the extra room. I do like the way a midsize car feels compared to what I remember from my small car ownership. Of course, I never minded how my small cars felt while I had them. I may now have a different perspective, having experienced a different class of car. I know this is impossible to predict and surely subjective.

I know if I trade to a smaller vehicle to cut my expenses, I'll have to make some sacrifices. I'm hoping to buy a vehicle that would require the least amount of sacrifice or just on minor things.

Sooo, now that you know my long boring story, what advice/feedback do you have for me? And if it looks as if a trade to a small car might be the best move, which one might be better for me: the Civic or the Protege?

Sorry for the long post.

TIA
    SilverCrown
  • Options
    porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I guess you have to answer which is more important, style or reliability, but I would recommend the Civic. IMO, the Protege is a better looking vehicle, but the track record on the Civic is better. I'm not saying that the Civic can't be sporty or that the Protege isn't reliable, but maybe for you this is a time to be more practical than anything else. I would even suggest that if money is a major concern look at a 2 year old Civic until you get your feet under you and your bearings straight. Then in a couple of years when your loan (I'm assuming) is paid off go with a vehicle that is more sporty. Both will give you a more crisp ride than the Camry and they will feel just as quick.

You also need to weigh if you can hold on until your current car is paid off. If you can I would suggest that you do this rather than buy anything. The Camry will hold its value especially if you've maintained it like you suggest. Then after it's paid off you can put that monthly payment away or towards whatever you need.

Finally, what about the Corolla? If you want to stay in the Toyota family this might be another alternative.

Good luck, it sounds like this is a rough time for you.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • Options
    It's funny, but I've never been too fond of the Corolla even though I've always liked the Civic. And I really don't like the latest style of the Corolla. That's why I left it off the list.

The problem with my financing is that even when the term is up, I won't own this car. It a sort of lease/loan hybird thing at my credit union that sounded great at the time, but it is really an unattractive long-term lease. It appeared to allow me to be able to afford the Camry V6 (a car that I've always admired), but I'm paying dearly for that decision now.

I'm thinking of either refinancing it into a regular loan if I can(at a lower interest rate) or starting over with another (smaller) car, financed with a straight loan and at a low interest rate. My goal is to reduce my monthly payments and insurance premiums. I still have nearly 2 more years to struggle under this program with payments that were OK 3 years ago, but are a strain right now. So I'm thinking that I really need to do something different to bring some relief. I just don't know what is the best course of action that makes the most sense and where I'm not totally miserable.

Thanks for the advice and the well wishes.
  • Options
    I would have to say the Protege would be the better buy, for a few reasons. First, you say you are "tightening" your expenses. Well, by your own admission, the Protege is less expensive. Second, you mention wanting a car that is fun to drive--highlighting the car's ability to handle. Well, I feel the Protege is most famous for its handling and is deemed to be more fun to drive than Civics and Corollas. One big car magazine said the Protege had "BMW verve for half the price." Or something like that. Third, someone else said that even though the Protege is a better looking car, you should get the Civic because it is more reliable. Well, the days of the bullet proof Civic seem to be over. This current generation seems to be having some problems. The 2001 Civic was downgraded to Average reliability by Consumer Reports from the Better than Average reliablity of previous generations. Also, Consumer Reports says to expect Average reliability out of the 2002 Civic (designated with the clear circle with no coloring at all). The 2002 Protege was listed as Much Better than Average reliability (designated with the full red circle). I don't think you would go wrong with the Civic; but, the Protege will offer a better driving experience (IMO) with better anticipated reliability--at a better price.
  • Options
    You echo my thoughts so far exactly. The only thing about the Protege is that it looks as if it will be quite a bit more expensive to insure than the Civic. I got a rough estimate from my insurance company (who I just switched to because it was cheaper for me) and the quote for the Protege was about $200 more per year. It was even higher than the premium for my Camry! Although my Camry is older, it cost a lot more. (but I'm really not sure how all this works and so many factors come into play here). Of course this was a very rough estimate, but it makes me wonder if my savings on the price of the car would be offset by higher insurance costs.

But other than that issue, everything else that you say points to the Protege as being the better buy.

Why does this have to be so hard ...... **sigh**
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    $200/year=$16.67/month.

Not that huge a difference for more fun driving, (apparently) better estimated reliability (according to CR), and, IMO, better styling.
  • Options
    The major reason behind my thinking on this issue is cost, cutting my expenses to a more comfortable level. So I'm looking at every thing in a different way and a few dollars are more meaningful to me at this point than they usually would be.

On the other hand, after I left work, I was thinking about the whole potential increase in my insurance premium if I traded my Camry for a Protege and something occurred to me. That possible increase in my insurance could be offset by what I would save in gasoline costs every month. I use premium in my V6 and I think the Protege only needs regular. Plus, I'll probably use less gas with the higher mileage of the Protege. So the whole thing may be a wash. These may be small, insignificant points to most, but these little details are important. Most of the time it's the little details that get you when you overlook them.

Plus, if I can get the 0% financing, I should still come out with lower monthly expenses with the Protege. I have excellent credit, so I should be able to get it, unless Mazda has totally unreasonable guidelines to get that rate. And if I use the Ford S-plan discount (I have no idea how that works), I might be sitting pretty with this deal.

Whew!! I feel better having thought this out some more. I guess I couldn't think clearly, surf this board and try to work all at the same time. LOL
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Check the Pro board and you'll see those folks love their car! Being a die hard Toyota person, if the Corolla doesn't appeal to you, I'd go with the Pro. That 0.0% rate is also hard to pass up!

The Sandman :-)
  • Options
    Takes regular gas :D
    Economy=Yes
    Boring=No

Ask over on the Protege Sedans board about the X-plan...I'm not sure if it's still in effect or not, but I believe there are a few who know about it for sure.
  • Options
    You guys already know that I've been visiting the Protege board and made a few posts at the same time that I posted here. That's a good idea, I hadn't thought to ask that question there. I have access to both the S-plan (through my Dad) or the X-plan (through my job). I know that if I post there, I'll get a quick response. :-)

I'm really leaning more toward the Protege for several reasons, most of which have been listed here. I just love the way it looks and I believe I can get an excellent price for it. Now for the test drive ....
  • Options
    I think somebody said that the X-plan was for the Mazda's and the S-plan was for Ford's. Not a big difference, really...just the name (I think).

I know it'll be though, but don't smile too much during the test drive in the Pro....you'll give away your hand :D
  • Options
    My understanding is that the S-plan is the Ford employee/retiree discount program for Mazdas and the X-plan is a non-Ford employee discount program for Ford and all of their subsidiaries, including Mazda. My employer offers the Ford X-plan. I don't work for Ford Motor, but we have a "partnership" with them.

I think the Ford employee discount programs for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury are called A and Z plans for current employees and retirees respectively. I've never used any of them so I'll have to check on that. This alphabet soup is confusing.
  • Options
    That sounds like it! Just wish I could have gotten that when I bought my Pro.

Alphabet soup is right!
  • Options
    Can you believe that I'm from a "Ford family" but have never used the Ford discount plans because I've never bought a new Ford product? After all this time, I still don't know how they work. That amazes even me.

What's funny is that if I do buy the Protege, I'll be using the discount program for the first time to buy a Mazda, not a Ford. Life sure is funny sometimes ....
  • Options
    verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    If you're from a Ford family, A-Plan is for Ford/Mercury/Lincoln and S-Plan is for Mazda.

Life's not funny at all, silvercrown. My A-Plan discount is worth $0.00 rounded off to the nearest zero. >:p
  • Options
    This discount, plus the 0% interest rate program is part of what would make the Mazda Protege an attractive alternative. If the S-plan is not going to help me reduce the price of the car, then I might be better off trying to refinance my current car and sticking with it. Although the other attributes of the special program are also very beneficial (no payments until Jan 03, but I'm not sure how that works, maybe they penalize later for that).

Please say it isn't so ......
  • Options
    ritavritav Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a new car (2002 or 2003?? -- even
    considering 2001-maybe lower monthly payments!?)

I have a 1997 Grand Am (final payment next month!!)-nice car but having a few problems with it, especially lately. Therefore, I've put all GM cars on the back burner, even though I like the Oldsmobile Alero, but V6 has rather steep monthly payments even with 1.9% financing (5 yrs.)

I've "narrowed it down" to 4 cars (first time looking at foreign models!!):
    -Honda Accord SE (4 cyl. or 6--monthly payments a little too high for the 6, but worried about winter road handling with 4 cyl.)--4.8% financing (5yrs.)
    -Chrysler Sebring (V6)-nice car but not as many options as Honda (2.8% for 5 yrs.)
    -Dodge Intrepid (V6)-rather big, but handles well and great financing (0% for 5 yrs.)
    -Nissan Maxima-heard a lot of good things about it, but didn't visit this dealer yet--don't know prices or available financing.

Bottom line: I want a good, reliable car (that won't start breaking down a few months after purchase), around the same size as Grand Am or little smaller, starts well in winter, handles well on winter roads and reasonably priced!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all.
  • Options
    hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    You might want to look at the Sentra. They tend to be bulletproof relieable, last forever and can be fun to drive with the right setup. The Altima is getting so much attention that the Nissan dealers might be willing to deal on the more neglected and posssibly slow moving Sentras. Those Nissan engines are something.

Insurance. Try four or five different companies. Some penalize the Pro. because previously it was considered more of a hot rod than the civic or Sentra (It had a 1.8L, while the civic and sentra had 1.5l-1.6l engines). The civic is a bit more expensive to repair and tends to be popular with thieves, so some agents will penalize it. If insurance cost is a biggie, you might find that the sentra is a sleeper here. Because of its rather dull image, some agents might not realize that some versions are hot.

Another fun-to-drive car would be a used subaru impreza. You get AWD good handling and comfort, but smallish trunk. Buying used would make all of the other cars more economical as well (financing and insuring).

good luck in whatever you choose.
  • Options
    Your Grand Am is considered a compact car at 186". The Accord-189", Sebring-191", and Maxima-192" are considered midsize. The Intrepid-204" is full size. The main imports in your size range would be a Subaru Legacy-184" or a VW Passat-185". Smaller, would be subcompacts: Honda Civic, Mazda Protege, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and Subaru Imprezza (all 174-178" and thousands cheaper with similar room, but less power than the mid and fullsize models).

If you want looks, go with the Sebring or Intrepid. If you want reliability go with the Accord or Maxima. Power is a tossup with a slight edge to the Maxima in base form and the Accord bringing up the rear. All will be fine in the winter, but if you are obsessed about winter (and willing to pay just a little more for the peace of mind) buy one of the Subarus (great winter grip with standard awd, well equipped, but with standard 4 banger engines in the econo price range)

Have fun test driving them all.

BTW, I strongly recommend you give the Chevy Impala a look. Its reliable, well equipped, great power and handling, good financing terms, huge trunk and its only 200" (Its considered a midsize). A lot of car for the money. Its not the best looker, but it grows on you. You might decide to give GM a second chance.:.)

You can find good deals on any of these, just remember that if you want the lowest possible price, you probably won't get all of the features,the biggest engine or biggest car.
  • Options
    Civic and Sentra are hardly 'subcompacts.' The Civic has grown so much!

silvercrown, I said the A-Plan was worthless if you're looking to buy a nice, sporty, reliable, good-looking, value-packed car. The S-Plan is different; Mazda is always a consideration! >:)
  • Options
    porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Hydra has given you some good information and I would just like to add my opinion. The Chrysler and Dodge are attractive, but I wouldn't choose them because of maintenance issues (I own a Durango). The Accord and Max are very good vehicles that are both having fire sales right now because new models are coming out. What am I getting at? Based on your recommendations and the prices being offered right now, I would look at 1) Accord 2) Maxima 3) Subaru Impreza
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • Options
    ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    If you're careful not to check off too many options, the Altima can be a good deal. They're nice looking, roomy and powerful. If you skip the V6, Altimas can be bought for under $20k.
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Get the Accord. Now is a good time to buy the 2002 since the newly-designed 2003 will be out in September. It will have several improvements. If you wanted to wait for it, the price will be higher for the first several months than the 2002. The 4 is fine for normal driving and also for winter driving. The 2002 is one of the very best cars for all-around driving according to "Consumer Reports" and others. The Nissan will be more money and not nearly as economical. The new and bigger 6 is not as efficient as the older 6. I hope this helps you.
    Go to http://www.auto.com This site (front page) has a picture and an article on the new 2003 Accord.
  • Options
    I appreciate all your suggestions/opinions. I guess I will test drive a few more cars! By the way, the Intrepid is probably off my list--I don't
    need such a big car anyway! I will now concentrate on the Accord, Civic, Maxima, Sentra (& maybe the Altima!). Do you recommend any more if I decide to stay around the same size or a little smaller than the Grand Am, and if I give GM a second chance!!?

I am truly grateful!
  • Options
    Well, if you want to go with a Detroit brand, there's the Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Taurus, and Ford Focus that would fit at least some of your criteria. Smaller than a Grand Am is a Sunfire or Cavalier. Don't go there! There, of course, is always Saturn if you dream of a "GM car aping Toyota or Honda" feel.
  • Options
    It seems as though Honda and Nissan are at the top of most of your lists (cars I hadn't even considered 2 weeks ago!) Since I've read so many postings, my choices have also changed. By the way, there is no Subaru dealer around here.

What I'm getting at is: In your opinion, what is THE BEST ALL-AROUND CAR out there (MIDSIZE and COMPACT--but not too small)?

As I've mentioned, it has to be RELIABLE (practically maintenance-free). My '97 Grand Am has been giving me various problems: wiring, continuous flashing high beam light, ABS brakes, alternator, and considerable paint chipping!
    It also has to start well on very cold days (Grand Am great for this--never has to be plugged in!), and handle well on highways (we get long winters with many bad snowstorms) because I do a lot of highway driving.
    Finally, it has to be reasonably priced--I can't afford $600/mth. payments!
    It would be nice if it had a few options (not totally loaded but not basic either) and was "roomy" enough (that's why I don't want to go VERY SMALL if I look at compact cars, too).

I'm looking forward to your suggestions and thank you all again!
  • Options
    Rita, depending on what exactly you are looking for in size, check out the Civic and Accord. Reliability tops, and "best all around" is the Honda trademark... nothing what I would call exceptional in any area, but Honda has the packages with the best combination of good handling, efficient engines, quality interiors, and ease of maintenance.

Camry will give you a softer ride; Altima will give you a sportier ride (both compared to Accord).
  • Options
    Just rented this car for a trip to Tampa and back yesterday and all I can say is I wish I owned it! Plenty of room for 5 adults, good gas milage, a kick to drive. It cruised effortlessly on the interstate and passing was never a problem. The cruise stayed where I set it. What else can I say, awesome car that I don't want to return tomorrow!

( P.S. If I had $20k and needed a new car, this is what I'd buy, period! )
  • Options
    You can argue this all day until your face goes blue. I think both cars are excellent. Camry offers a more comfortable ride and the Accord is a bit stiffer/sportier... when the 2003 Accord comes out, then you can do a 'new generation' comparo of Camry vs. Accord vs. Altima to see what the best is that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan have come up with.

The last generation Camry (before 2002) was a very nice car. Effortless to drive, good interior.
  • Options
    Clarify "roomy". Most cars are roomy enough in the front. The back seat is where you tend to lose the most room in smaller cars. This is not so importantant if the back seat is used only by pets or small children, more important if you carpool or have have teenagers with long legs. If you have children, take them with you on your test drives to try out the size of the back seat. They might tilt your decision.

Compacts: Passat, a comfortable, roomy, good looking and handling car but a bit expensive and with questionable long term reliability. You nixed the Subaru Legacy based on no subaru dealers. That only leaves maybe the Olds Alero which is similar in size and reliability to your Grand Am. It does have a long warranty. It is being discontinued.

The Accord is probably your best bet in the midsize although a little noisy. The Altima is faster with a rather plain, but roomy interior and a beautiful exterior. Some say that it is noisy and has a firm ride. The Camry is quietest and rides most comfortably but does not handle as well as the others. The Maxima is fast, handles well, but has a rather firm ride. All are reliable with the Camry probably the most and the Altima the least, which is still excellent.

Btw, most people purchase these cars with 4 banger engines, except for the Max which has a 6 cyl. standard. The fours have plenty of power, get great highway mpg and are much cheaper to buy. They are not as quiet or as powerful as V6 engines.

Check out the subcompacts if your money is really tight. Most of them are less than a foot shorter than your Grand Am. Their front headroom and front legroom is basically the same as the midsize cars and they get much better mpg because their 4 cylinder engines are smaller than those in the midsize cars, but since the cars weigh less they still perform well.

Go test drive those that interest you. Its your money and in the final analysis, you'll need to make up your own mind. Remember to give the Impala or maybe the Monte Carlo a look.
  • Options
    jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I agree with Hydra about checking out the Impala...almost wish I had bought one.

That said, I noticed that most of this discussion omitted the Alero. With the new engine (2.2 ecotec) and standard 5 year/60,000 Bumper to bumper warranty, it is a great car. In my opinion, it is better looking than the Grand am, and reliability has improved.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I rented one this past weekend and all I can say is "outstanding"! What a pleasant car to drive. We crossed the state of Florida from Lauderdale to Tampa and back and what a car. It did everything wonderfully in a very understated way. The only bad thing were the Bridgestone "Poortenzas" which had over 14k on them. They were real squirrelly during the downpours we experienced throughout the drive. Other than that, the car did everything asked of it with no fuss or muss.
    And to be real honest, isn't that what a car should do? For good bang for the buck, this is one awesome automobile!

• Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Hard to justify the Camry IMO in view of the side impact rating, only 2 stars for driver side as I understand it.
  • Options
    As far as the safety goes, I don't know about the government scores; but, the IIHS not only scored it a best pick on frontal impact, I believe the Camry is the only car ever tested that did not have the windshield broken upon impact. Plus it received no damage in the bumper bash test.

That being said, I am no huge Camry supporter. Going back to the tires and the rain handling--how can you be so sure it was the tires making you unsteady in the rain? Maybe it was the car itself? I would be willing to bet that had the rental car in question been a Sonata, the review would have been: "Never buy a Sonata. When it rained, the car was all squirly and unsafe at any speed." Just my guess.
  • Options
    on the tires, you are wrong. I have spoke to others on Edmunds who also have had the same problems with the "Poortenzas" and they were on different cars. I don't care what car they are on, I think that they're crappy tires. I will agree that at 14.5k miles on them, the tread wasn't the greatest. I even mentioned this to the Hertz rep when I inspected the car prior to delivery. He assurred me all would be fine, not! If I ever do rent a car again, I will insist on a car with decent rubber, or I will go somewhere else, period!

The Sandman :-0
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Not a broken windshield? That's pretty good.
  • Options
    I'm sure you're right about the tires as the Camry is a quality car. My point, though, is that the public perception of the Camry is that it's the best sedan and so any problem must be the result of something else. I believe that people would be looking for things to be wrong on the Sonata; and, if something outside of the control of the car itself went wrong, people will still blame the Sonata as being junk. That's all I meant. I guess it has nothing to do with "Help me choose" anyway.
  • Options
    A short while back, I posted a message here regarding advice on a buying a small car to possibly replace my 2000 Camry V6 to reduce my expenses. I was thinking about a Civic or a Protege (neither of which I have test driven yet). A couple of people suggested the Corolla. I rejected that idea because I haven't really been a fan of its looks in recent years. The older ones were okay, though.

I am driving a 2003 Corolla for today (while my Camry is having its 30K maintenance) and all I can say is: dang, this is a Corolla? I haven't driven it a whole lot, but it has really impressed me so far. It is very roomy for a small car, it handles well and accelerates like it has a V6 engine or something. The ride is also very smooth, not quite like my Camry, but very close considering its size. The interior is very nice, it's nicer than my car with wood trim and a higher quality cloth upholstery. Double Dang. :-)

As is my prerogative, I have changed my mind about the Corolla. If I ever decide to buy a small car, it is at the top of my list, based on my experience today. Plus, it has leather and alloy wheel options that still have a TMV under $18K. It is not only like a baby Camry, but approaching a baby Lexus with more luxury than you would expect. Triple Dang.

Even the styling, which is very similar to the new Camry, seems to work on this car. Personally, I'm not fond of the Camry's new styling, but it actually looks pretty nice on the smaller Corolla. It's actually kinda cute. Or maybe my opinion has been swayed by how nice it is otherwise.

I was not prepared to like this car (quite the opposite, actually) and it has exceed all of my expectations. Maybe I'm easy to please (NOT!) but I like this car. It is not my father's Corolla. LOL

I'm leaning toward refinancing my Camry and keeping it. I think it would be too costly to try and trade it. But my next car just may be a Corolla. Especially if it keeps getting bigger and better over time.
  • Options
    Just got my Motor Trend in and saw the new Accord. Nice looking but the back is a little funky. The picture of the dash looked really cool! It was a 6 cylinder model, will be interested to see the 4 banger model close up. Will probaly give the Camry a run for the money.
    But really, the Camry and Accord do set the standard for the American family 4 door sedan hands down. Having owned 2 Camrys in the '90's and now a 01 Altima, I can attest to this fact. We drove the Camry, Accord, and Altima back to back within a 2 hour span and the wife chose the Altima to buy, said after 2 Camrys, wanted a change. We were both underwhelmed by the Accord, go figure. And I really wanted to like that Accord!

• Options
    black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    I believe that people would be looking for things to be wrong on the Sonata; ...

True. Because Sonata does not have the track record of a Camry. Why is it so hard to understand?
  • Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Impala safer than Accord or Camry and better value so it gets my vote for the American standard for sedans.
  • Options
    I'd rather have an Intrepid than an Impala. Better looks and finish inside and out.
  • Options
    Either I failed to explain myself; or, you misunderstood. I was not comparing Sonatas to Camrys (I believe there are better threads to do that), I was referring to the impression of one poster. He had never (at least I don't think) driven a Camry before renting one a couple of weeks ago. He came here with a glowing review and said he would buy one today if he were in the market for such a sedan with no quesions asked. He then said that the only bad thing was the bad handling in the rain--and said the issue was the result of bad tires. My contention was simply that had the rental car in question been a Sonata and everything else was exactly the SAME, the review probably would have read "Don't buy a Sonata, they are dangerous to drive." But, as I said before, it doesn't matter anyway. Not trying to start another "Hyundai vs." thread.
  • Options
    I am the one who made the review of the Camry with the worn tires. Please sir, don't assume what I would have said if the car had been a Sonata! Personally, I like the new Sonata and would love to rent one for a weekend to try it out.

• Options
    We also have owned 2 Camrys, a '93 LE and a '96 LE. Both great cars, until the dreaded "gelled oil" in the '96. Proper maintenance at the dealer, but that's another story!

• Options
    black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    I understood you correctly the first time, but you misunderstood me. My point was simply that it is human nature to overlook faults when the product has a long and good track record and likewise, nitpick and find fault at the slightest opportunity when the product has a shady past. That is why even the exact same shortcoming would be interpreted differently based on the product. Hope this is clear.
  • Options
    staryonstaryon Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys

I need desperately your help!
    For many months, I have been thinking about what car I could buy. Finally, I've decided to
    buy a 2001 VW Jetta. I love how the car looks like, and the quietness while you're driving.
    I have to drive 90 miles every day, so I thought that this is the car for me.

However, I have been reading many user reviews about this car, and I have noticed that there is
    a very common complaint about that the car sometimes rattles at a specific speed. Also, other minor
    problems.

Now, I'm completely lost! I don't know what to do. Do you guys recommend me this car?
    What other options do you think I should consider? I don't want to spend more that $15000 for
    a car (used). I don't see other cars that I like! People have recommend me to get a Honda or Toyota, but
    I haven't found one of them that really satisfy me.
    Ford Mustang was another option... but I need to drive a lot every day, and maybe this is not the
    best car for me.

Thanks a lot for your comments.

PS Thanks to claywaterfill for his comments in the other forum :)
  • Options
    sara27sara27 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide between the Civic EX and the Jetta GLS (2.0 liter). There's a pretty big price difference, so I don't know what to do! I love the design of the Jetta and thought the ride was smoother. I learned to drive on my parents' '90 Accord, so I feel comfortable with Hondas. I've thought about the Corolla, but our local Toyota dealership isn't the greatest. Does anyone have any advice? Why should I spend $2500 or so more for the Jetta?

Thanks!