Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nipp41nipp41 Posts: 2
    This is deep: I have a arrow on my instrument cluster which should only come on when I select o/d on my gearshift lever, however this light is on as soon as I turn the ignition on. When this happens I lose my temp gauge,fuel gauge and my speedometer needle is jumpy. Initially this problem would occur and fix itself. Recently the condition last long enough to kill my battery because of the steady draw(about two weeks) Now I the battery went dead two days after having it tested and charged. This time I had the battery replaced and checked the Alternator for proper Voltage. At 2000 rpm the alt. is putting out 13.6 to 13.9 volts I drove the car from from Petersburg VA. to Charleston, S.C. On the return trip I was once again on the side of the road with a dead battery only two hours into the trip. What is killing my battery? Could the Instrument Panel have a short or is it something with my voltage regulator. I looked for broken wires underneath the dash and behind cluster and checked O/D relay
  • we had a similar problem and after many agonizing months we discovered that the glove box lamp stayed on all the time which was killing the battery. the switch was bad. replaced the switch and no more problem.
  • nipp41nipp41 Posts: 2
    Thanks, I removed the glovebox for troubleshooting purposes and did realize I had to re-install because that light was on as long as the box was out. That switch is Okay!
  • I have a hands free cell phone system. The one with the head set build into the headrest on my 2000 Volvo S40. Unfortunately, the speaker system was somehow disconnected and the cell phone cradle (Nokia) does not work with my new Treo 650 phone. I would love to have the hand set cradle replaced and I know the speaker issue can be addressed. Unfortunately, I have not found a company that could assist with the hand cradle issue. Anyone know of a similar system for newer phone systems. It would be nice to reuse my current system but I'm willing to replace it if need be.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,517
    ok... here's the thing... u are saying that your car died while driving and left you on the side of the road? Because, no matter what is going on with the battery, once the car is running, you are running off the alternator. So, if the battery drains while driving and the car dies, that means your alternator is not putting out enough juice and the car is relying on the battery to power it.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• My '92 240 wagon has a short in the circuit that includes the rear wiper and the radio - both on 8 amp fuse #1. When the rear hatch is open, both radio and wiper work perfectly; when I close the hatch, the fuse blows. Obviously, the short is somewhere in the hinge - there appears to be a piece of frayed, unshielded cable running through both the driver-side and the passenger side hinges, and the wire harnesses run underneath that, and appear to be intact. What's the function of the cable in the hinge - a ground wire? Has anyone run into this and have any suggestions?
  • Can anybody provide instructions on how to do it in the current S80-XC90 platform or point me to the right software download or ECU reprogramming forum?

I refuse to go to the dealer and pay $100 every time I want to change settings. I know where the appropriate screw is in the 850 platform but can not find any references to the current platform.

Thanks in advance.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,012
    Your profile doesn't show where you're located. DRLs are mandatory in Canada, optional in the US. The owners manual for the 05 says to see the dealer. My question is WHY you would want them disabled. :confuse:
  • Have an 02 C70 and 03 XC70 ... it appears that at 30,000 the tires or ? produces considerable road noise even at relatively low speeds. Anyone else with similar issues?
    I have a 99 C70 and am very impressed with your getting 30k if it's on the original Pirellis. Mine were replaced at 20k and were very loud for around 5k. Sounded like a grinding noise from about 25mph down. Above 25-30 it wasn't noticable. Went away with new tires, same brand.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Has to be done at the dealer.
    The software is not available to the public.
  • I read the manual and do not want to flame about pros. and cons of DLRs. I don't know about Canada, but in sunny CA climate they are pointless, annoying to other drivers and totally unfair to vehicles who really need that extra visibility, such as motorcycles. I just want to know how to disable them without paying $100 to a dealer.
  • 240/SWAGON -TRY TO PULL THE ROOF LINING COVER AT EDGE AND YOU WILL DISCOVER THE HARNESS ROUTING ,JOINT/INSULATE BACK THE WIRE
    REISTALL BUT PLS GIVE ROOM FOR FREE PLAY WHEN CLOSE/OPEN THE REAR HATCH ,:SAIDIN
    Find another dealer that charges less.
    The command to turn off the DRL's is software not hardware.
    Only the Volvo dealers have access to that software.
  • Hello all

I am having a most difficult time with a Volvo 960 (1995).

The check engine light comes on. Taking the car to the shop for reading the codes has the technicians telling me they could find nothing wrong with the car, they turn off the light but it comes back on within 30 miles of driving.

Local inspection stations will not pass cars with this light on. The car is due for inspection and it is getting quite expensive to pay $85 a pop to have this light turned off with nothing wrong to fix to stop the light from coming on again down the road.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I cannot locate the OBD II plug that should be inside the compartment as well. Have removed the knee guard on the driver's side and there is a small access under the parking brake handle with nothing in there.

Any assistance in stopping this problem would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
    OBD port is in the center console of the 960.
  • eric24eric24 Posts: 1
    We own a 2003 V40 that's due soon for it's 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. Looks like it's going to be $600-700 for an overpriced oil change/fluid check. Will bringing it into another (much, much cheaper) service garage for maintanence affect our warranty on the car?
    personally, i would only trust a knowledgeable volvo mechanic. Yes, someone who does NOT work at a volvo dealership can be that person.

but, where are you getting your $600 quote? Are you calling the dealer and asking them how much for the 30K service? Because that would be a mistake. Look in your owners manual and see what is required, then call and ask "how much for x, y, and z?" Because the dealerships 30k service is pretty much ALWAYS more expensive and includes many more items than required by the manufacturer.

And you also have to watch what you are asking for. For instance, checking brakes is usually a part of the service interval, but go ahead and check them yourself. You can certainly see if your brake pads need changing. And brakes are not under warranty anyway, so as far as that affecting your warranty, it just doesn't matter.

• Hi everyone!

I'm not Chinese but I live in China now and brought my car here. It's a Volvo s40 2001and I need to change all my pads and discs which I also brought with me. Even though I have never done that before, I trust myself more than those Chinese mechanics and think that I'm skillful enough with my hands do this.

However, Is there anything I should know before I get started?

Thank you in advance!
  • joe070joe070 Posts: 1
    Why don't the sun visors swivel to the side windows? In the morning I drive South & the sun coming in the drivers side window is tough. In the evening - ditto when I drive North? Any replacement swivel visors available? If not, why not?

Why do I hear creaks and moans when I'm pulling into parking spaces and turning hard left or right?

Why isn't there any rear view mirror compass option I can purchase?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
    The visors don't swivel because they could interfer with the top operation. I agree they should swivel though. We, as drivers, should have the smarts to move them back to the proper position before working the top.
  • Problem: Drive home from work. Park in garage. Turn off engine - 30 to 60 seconds later a loud boom from the rear end of the car. Stupid dealership has no idea yet. Still running tests. Any advices, guesses, educated answers? Urgent needs help asap.
    Thanks Debora, Georgia, United States
  • I recently purchased a 2005 XC90. I had the dealer program the computer to automatically lock the doors at 5 mph. However, even before this, when I stop and the passengers want to exit they can't unless I manually unlock the doors. My other vehicles open if you pull the handles. I know this is a child safety issue but not all people who buy Volvo have young children. The dealer told me this feature can't be changed. It's very annoying for the passengers. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks Steve
    I'm pretty sure something like this is an internal mechanism design issue and can't be changed electronically in any way (well, unless you want to take apart the door and solder a trigger wire of some sort ... but i'm not sure if that's even possible ... just a theory).

• Hi - I posted on the 850 wagons board, but thought you all might be of help. i just purchased a '95 850 wagon with 107k miles on it. I am wondering about how much it will cost to fix/replace the reat hatch struts - the tailgate wont stay up by itself. Also, the interior smells a little like gasoline. Not really strong, but I am wondering if this indicates a problem. Are volvos (especially a 10 yr old) normally kind of on the loud side? I have all the service records on this car so I know it was well maintained, but I am really hoping to drive it another 5 years then pass it on to my oldest son when he gets his license.
    Thanks for your advice!
    JO
    Hatch struts aren't that much. Getting them out is a little work.

Fuel smell isn't good. Could be the fuel pump giving out.
    actually, it sounds to me like you might have one problem giving you 2 indications. The smell and the loudness. Possibly an exhaust leak. Have it checked ASAP!

• Help--I'm looking for ideas:
    I just bought a nice used 2003 XC90. The problem is that the CD player seems possessed! It scans CDs at odd, unpredictable times, it switches from CD to radio on its own. The dealer can't figure it out. I'm looking for advice on:
    1. Any thoughts about what is wrong and how to fix it?
    2. Has anyone else had problems with Volvo's ultra fancy audio system?
    3. What do you think about simply taking it out and replacing it with an aftermarket electronic system?

Thanks,
    Dan
    is it still under the bumper-to-bumper?
    If so, let the dealer replace the whole thing.

• Hi folks, Cousin has a Volvo `95 850 2.3 turbo auto, park in a space, can`t select reverse! Have to drive around `til she can drive in & out of space, been pushed out a few times by friendly natives! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dealer claims "doesn`t know!

Desperate
This discussion has been closed.