Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• vonsudderthvonsudderth Member Posts: 17
    Crutchfield has a great selection of head units and radios. There is plenty of room for improvement on the radio and without the steering wheel controls there is no reason to stick with the stock head unit. Also, the sub woofer space behind the driver seat has plenty of room for the amplifiers. Courtesy Nissan on the web has the trim parts for the outer cover. There is no need to buy the speaker frame as it is under the plastic cover. Pull on the top of the plastic plate and it will come off. Do not pull at the bottom as it has hooks and they will break off. Pull at the top and when it pops loose pull up to take the panel out.
    Tire Wear and Pulling is related to the Technical Service Bulletin on the Frame of the vehicle. The dealer will correct the problem if you take it in and explain that the problem is related the Technical Service Bulletin that covers the steering problem. You will have to really complain about the tires to get those replaced though.
    There is a reason that the car is being sold as used. Either it was in a wreck or something else has happened to the car. I bought a used 350Z at Douglas Nissan in Henderson, Nevada only to find out that the car has been wrecked. I asked the question directly prior to the purchase of the car. Has the car been wrecked? The answer was not to our knowledge. It seems that the dealerships use Manheim Auto Auctions as a cleaner for wrecked cars. You see, my 350Z was leased in Utah and with only 8000 miles on it the car was sold at auction, after being repaired. The problem was that the repairs were not done correctly. The paint has fisheyes that show up in flouresent light and the ground effects on the driver side are coming loose. There are clips and bolts missing from the ground effects and the boneheads that fixed the car did not evenput the ground effects on correctly. The front and rear parts are supposed to be on the inside of the body colored material and not on the outside. I corrected that problem tonight. Also, there is a dent on the bottom of the car that this dealership should have noticed. I am sure they screwed up in buying the car at auction and passed the problem on to me. I will be paying them a visit on Monday as they have been giving me the runaround for the past week. I have already contacted Nissan directly to let them know what this dealer is doing to unsuspecting buyers. I have three Nissans and I have never experienced anything like this. I might be changing brands on the next purchase. The only problem is the car drives and runs great. My opinion is that if you are going to buy a used 350Z I would take it to an independent mechanic to get it checked out prior to purchase.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Couldn't you have run a VIN number search to determine that the car had been wrecked?

Did you save enough money on the purchase price to off set the extra effort to get the car back to solid condition?

Seems from your description that the car drives fine, just has some quality of repair issues.

One of the problems with all car dealers is that they are independent business that the manufacturer doesn't control.

The manufacturer's do have some influence, but it seems that is very limited.

I think your issue might be better addressed through the state consumer fraud division rather than Nissan directly.

I also am keeping an eye on the used 350Z market and am looking to pick up a deal.

Good luck!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    A couple of points from my experience:

A wrecked car is NEVER the same after the accident. At best, the deficiencies are only cosmetic - paint, etc. But I'm convinced - as is every mechanic that I've talked to, that any accident that puts significant stress on the structure of the car is highly likely to have long term mechanical issues. Like alignment and suspension problems, engine vibrations, etc. Don't be satisfied that the car runs well now. These issues often don't surface until things start happening after 1-2 years or more.

Therefore, if you asked the selling dealer if the car had been in an accident and they either lied or pledged ignorance, I think you have a claim and should pursue it vigorously. The selling dealer's response "not to our knowledge" is pure BS. They would have to be complete buffoons to buy a car at auction (a nearly new sports car, no less) without checking its history.

As far as taking the issue to the manufacturer, while I agree it's the dealer that wronged you, I disagree that the manufacturer can't help. There is a case here in the DC area in which the owners of a dealership were forced to sell there interest or lose the franchise over repeated unscrupulous actions. Fraud, and your case seems to come close, qualifies for notifying the manufacturer.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    ....without a Carfax? JW
  • yishinyishin Member Posts: 6
    I went to a dealer in NJ, and they offered me $600 over "invoice" price on a 2004 touring 350Z with floor mat, splash guard and aluminum kick plate. The invoice they show me is $30138 (MSRP $32600) (included destination charge). I really don't think this is their ture invoice price.The invoice on carsdirect shows the same price, but the invoice price shows on digitalcars is $490 less. The basic 350Z touring coupe invoice is $28818 on digitalcars web instead of $29308 on the other webs.

Which one is the true invoice? It looks like the invoice price on carsdirect and other webs has been add a "dealer advertizing cost".
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Actually, I'd use Edmunds Invoice pricing. I find it to be dead on accurate. The advertising charge is real. Whether your other auto price web sites show it or not maybe the difference you're seeing.

I've never even heard of "digitalcars". Looked at it briefly and it looks like little more than a lead referal service that sells sales leads to dealers....like autobytel. Carsdirect negotiates their prices with their dealer network for you.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    The VIN was ran through carfax and the only thing that the carfax showed is that the car was leased in Utah and then sold at auction in the Southwest. Well, if you transfer a car from one state to another it is hard to track the car down. So, I am in the process of contacting the Utah dealership to get their records and then I am going back to the dealer. I have already contacted Nissan Corporate and will be working with the state of Nevada tomorrow. Seems they have a law against misrepresentation of cars in the state of Nevada.
    "Seems they have a law against misrepresentation of cars in the state of Nevada."

And every other state as well.

Good luck with your efforts!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Carfax won't tell you if a car was wrecked, only if it was totalled. If it's a $40,000 car with $25,000 damage, Carfax won't show it.
  • jaquinojaquino Member Posts: 90
    The Fairlady Z is included in the recall, which is sold in the US as the 350Z.

(From Yahoo news)
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/dowjones/20031- 030/bs_dowjones/200310300334000677
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Interesting name. Good thing they didn't use it here, or the 350Z might displace the VW Cabrio as the #1 chick car.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    You know, you bring up something I've noticed....I've never seen a male driving a VW Cabrio for as long as the previous gen and the current gen have been on the market.

While certainly not an idictment of the fairer gender, I've only seen one 350Z on the road here. It was being driven by a beautiful blonde female.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • zzz350zzz350 Member Posts: 44
    SF area apparently has banned women driving 350Zs. I've not seen a one behind the wheel of any of these bad boyz
  • zgirl1zgirl1 Member Posts: 11
    I have seen more female drivers here in Tampa, Florida than male. hmmmmm guess I will have to move to SF where all the men are haha
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    let's get back on topic of the 350Z and not speculate about the people who do or do not drive them.
  • zgirl1zgirl1 Member Posts: 11
    At any rate, I filled out the florida lemon law regarding the dash issue. they took off the winshield to put the insulation in part of the gap and it still rattles . plus my cd player is now broke. not sure that it has anything to do with them or just a coincedence. before I request my money back does anyone know if the infiniti g35 coupe is having all the same issues as the 350z? I love the car and hate to part with it but I can't handle all the issues.
    See the link:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- - - - _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=08456960

It looks like these changes will be in the November builds, or possibly even earlier (I hope).

I am getting mine in December. I just got my VIN # last week, so I am assuming that my car was built this month.

I'll let you guys know if the changes mentioned are in my car, like the supposed "soft-touch plastic" center console, euro-spec suspension, and knee pads.

I am particularly interested in the Euro-spec suspension because of the better ride, while still maintaining the handling of the original suspension set-up.

The original suspension was deemed "too rough" riding by our counterparts in Europe, as can be seen by some of the reviews over there, hence the change. This new suspension was described as having a significantly better ride than the US version by one British reviewer (his quote: "with a suppleness that the Japanese model lacked when we tried it on tricky UK roads")

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?domain=evo&page=http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driven/driven_story.php?id=38909

(For some strange reason only half of the link above is being highlighted, you will have to copy/paste the entire link to your address bar)

Nissan Japan was so impressed by what their counterparts in Europe have done, that they decided to adopt it in all Japan and US Z cars.

The UK just started receiving shipments of the Z, and I am all giddly with excitement, knowing that my car will have this same suspension.
  • abesbabeabesbabe Member Posts: 2
    I received one of the first off the line back in August, and I LOVE IT!! I have owned 3 Porsche's a 85 1/2, 944, and two 928's. This reminds me of my beloved 928 (that saved my life in a car wreck, but it took it's life), and this car, with the exception of some blind spots, is every bit as wonderful.
    I do have a question however. It was my understanding that this was made in a limited edition? Can anyone help clarify that? I was told that by TWO dealerships. Thanks!!
    (even it if isn't, I still adore my new ride!)
  • jwilli420jwilli420 Member Posts: 22
    The stock stereo is very good. I think the biggest difference is the bass. The bose has a sub behind the drivers seat and the stock doesn't. There are two tweeters at the top of the doors; two, what look like to be 5 1/4in, speakers in the door; and what i believe two 6 1/2in speakers behind the seats.

Hope this helps
  • sga826sga826 Member Posts: 7
    Question to non-Bose owners: how good (or bad) is the stock stereo? I was so anxious to start my test drive that I didn't even turn it on.

The Nissan brochure lists specs as 6 speakers and 160 watts. Thats not bad for a factory head unit if it's clean power.

Also I have looked at the 350Z "configurators" from Crutchfield and Tweeter and they only list two pairs of speakers. Are there six and if so where is the other pair?
  • sga826sga826 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, jwilli420 that is helpful. For some reason when I refreshed my page my original message resent.

Anyway I have heard an aftermarket sub and amp works quite well. The sub fits where the Bose would go and apparently the cover is available also.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&a- mp;Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=28178-Z33SW
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    If anyone has today's WSJ, look on page C14 below the weather. If you don't have it, the copy says:

"The Mighty 350Z just got smoked by a family of five and a dog."

Below that is a subcaption saying "0-60 in 5.3 seconds. Symetrical All-Wheel Drive."
  • jwilli420jwilli420 Member Posts: 22
    That would work, or if you don't need that much storage, the the section in front of the stabilizer bar would be perfect for two tens and a amp. That is if your looking for a strong amount of bass. actually that might be a real tight fit
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the Z looked alot better doing it!
  • pisceanz350pisceanz350 Member Posts: 8
    NJswamplands,

You posted:
    <<If anyone has today's WSJ, look on page C14 below the weather. If you don't have it, the copy says:
    "The Mighty 350Z just got smoked by a family of five and a dog."
    Below that is a subcaption saying "0-60 in 5.3 seconds. Symetrical All-Wheel Drive.">>

While that may be true, I suspect that if you strap a lightweight turbo engine onto a Go-Kart you would get even better 0-60 times, probably rivaling the top of the line Ferraris.*LOL*

See this page for potential models:
    http://www.motorlandsports.com/progokarts.shtml

PisceanZ
    I must admit, that is one quick SUV! I wonder what the insurance is going to cost on the thing being that its acceleration rivals that of sports cars.

Looking at specs:

350Z:
    0-60 in 5.4 secs
    5-60 in 5.7 secs
    0-100 in 14.2 secs

Forsetor
    0-60 in 5.3 secs
    5-60 in 6.3 secs
    0-100 in 15.0 secs

The 350Z will eventually overtake the Forester, but that happens only at 100MPH or greater, where the boxy shape of the Forester causes more wind resistance and the fact that the Subie's top-speed limiter kicks in at 130MPH, whereas the Z does not stop until 156MPH.

Also the 350Z is slightly faster from a roll (see 5-60 above), most likely because the Forester's turbo is spooling up and full-boost is not available yet. But the difference is only 0.5 secs, thanks to the excellent motor of the Forestor.

Pretty impressive. It was a great move on Subaru's part to put a detuned version of the STI motor into the Forester. Funny thing is the Forester is also faster than the regular WRX. Subaru better upgrade the WRX motor as well, otherwise WRX owners will not be pleased that their sedan is slower than the SUV.

With these kind of performance numbers, Nissan will also have to increase the HP as well to make the Z competitive. Kudos to Subaru for putting such a vehicle out in the market.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • pisceanz350pisceanz350 Member Posts: 8
    Hey Jaquino,

When you get your new Z, enjoy it, and don't worry too much about the SUVs. :)

Good luck!
    PisceanZ
    Thanks pisceanz350!

The car is supposed to arrive any day now, I am so excited! Had to wait 3 months for my order, I can't wait to take that baby home. :)
  • uksuks Member Posts: 5
    I own a 350Z convertible touring, 3 months old, with about 2800 miles on it. The amount of rattle noises and squeaks had been on the rise since about 500 miles, and at present it reminds me of the 2002 Eclipse Convertible I used to have. In fact, the rattles on the Z are a lot more than the Eclipse. I wanted to know if the other owners experienced it too, and if it can/should be fixed?
    Thanks for your input.
    Btw, nothing against the car's performance. It still is a great car. This car replaced my 2003 350Z coupe, and the driving pleasure is almost the same except the rattles (yes, almost... I still believe the coupe is a better car with less weight and better construction).
  • fab5hill33fab5hill33 Member Posts: 2
    I'm very interested in the Z and I'm trying to decide between that and a bimmer. I go to the Nissan dealer today and the guy gives me an attitude saying you can't test drive a Z. He says he'd be surprised if I found anyone to let me test drive them cuz owners don't wany any miles on the car when they buy them. I walked away pretty insulted. But is this true? If so, how can I figure out if the Z is the real deal and worth my hard earned $$$ ?
    We have five in my area, three allow test drives, two don't. Guess who sells the most Z's? This is a sales tactic to try and keep the miles low but most (at least in my area) dealers will let you test drive a z. You may not get to drive the specific one your interested in (now I want to try the red one, LOL) but you should be able to get a test drive at a dealer in your area.

How many dealers do you have to choose from?
    I test drove five at four different dealers before I decided against getting the Z. JW
  • pheonixunopheonixuno Member Posts: 15
    Hey guys I've read almost this entire thread about the Z and I need some help. Well during the summer I was all set to buy a 97 BMW M3 but when I test drove it all I could think about was how if anything broke how expensive it would be. Needless to say that killed it for me cause I wouldn't enjoy the car because I would be afraid of repair bills. Well then I was set to get a 2004 WRX w/ premium packaging (heated seats, heated mirrors, sunroof, and spoiler) for about 24,500 OTD but then I saw a 350z and thought it was one of the hottest looking cars ever. So I do some research and start learning about the honda s2000 as well because the two are compared alot. I also started to read about the new RX-8 but all of the problems that mazda is having with the car really turned me off. So my choices turn to an enthusiast 350z, a 02 s2000, or a 2004 WRX. Each has their own pros and cons for me. The 350z needs to have leather seats and a sunroof which I think can be done aftermarket right? The s2000 seems great just no torque and I've never really entertained the idea of a roadster. The WRX's problem is its very plain looking. I look at it now and it just kills me. Now I live in Connecticut where it does snow but I have access to a toyota tacoma if need be and actually right now I have a 96 Civic cx with summer tires that I have a blast with driving in snow.I'm 22 and live at home with my parents going to college for nursing. I checked out the insurance on the cars and for a year its 2188 wrx 1940 for 350z and 1880 for s2000. WHat do you think?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Why an '02 S2000, by the way?

I'd drive all three and make a decision based on your experiences. Keep in mind the decreasing utility on these cars. The WRX has lots of room and space, it's the "it makes sense" car in this group. The S2000 is at the opposite end of the spectrum, you're pretty much sacrificing all utility for the fun factor. The 350Z seems like a decent compromise in between.

The S2000 is my kind of car b/c I like the flexiblity to drop the top, I think it has the best overall combination of performance components(engine+brake+steering+suspension+chassis) and I think it has the best looks, especially when the top is down. And, it's much less common. However, there's no real room or trunk, it's not much fun with the top up, it's no fun at all in the snow (unless you like to risk your life) and it's definitely the theft and vandalism target of this bunch.

The drawbacks didn't matter to me but you really should think about the key differentiators here (rear seat room, luggage room, engine type) and decide what you want. Drive all three.
  • pheonixunopheonixuno Member Posts: 15
    The reason for the 02 s2000 was because it has the rear glass window and a couple of other upgrades on it that make it more livable.
    ... and then some:

utility = Sube
    performance = S2k
    cruising & style = 350Z

Now, I realize a lot of people (especially here) will disagree with me, but that's what I came up with. If you drive, as suggested, you'll come up with your own list. I needed utility less, so dropped the Sube from my list. I wanted both performance and style, so I dropped the other two and moved on.

Best for your search, JW
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I initially went shopping for a Z in January; I really felt like it would be a classic and I wanted one in my garage. After a brief test drive, I decided the Z was not for me. But, I still believe it's a great car, and a bargain considering what you get for the money.

I've always been a WRX fan, so I test drove that next (03 with the bug eyes). Not as slick feeling as the Z and it is certainly not a looker, but it's a total blast to drive. In addition, the flat-4 engine and AWD are a really sweet combination. Handling was fantastic, on par with the Z, and I give it the edge because AWD makes it more usable.

Performance-wise, you can't go wrong with either car. They both have unique traits and strengths in handling and power. They are not an even comaprison, but rather, each has it's own great aspects.

I ended up with a WRX, and have been really happy. I think the moment of Zen was when driving back from the dealer with the new car. I took some back roads that had ocassional snow drifts and wet patches from a recent winter storm. I would have been very nervous and tentative driving those roads in a Z, and may have looked for a different route or driven like a granny. With the WRX, I just drove it like a sports car and had a lot of fun. It really is a great sports car for all conditions. If you want to have a lot of fun driving in the snow (safely, of course) I think the WRX is the only way to go.

Of course, I have since added larger wheels and summer tires to the WRX, and would not be cruising down snow-laced roads without first switching back to the stock wheels and all-season tires (RE-92).

By the way, utility wasn't an issue with me, my other car is a station wagon!

Craig
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    Hey fab5hill33, I'm also doing the exact same comparison. I just got done driving a '03 350Z Track and a '03 325Ci, both manual. The 350Z's power was intoxicating...I would love to have that power every day. But the drive in the 325Ci was much more refined, although acceleration and power was nothing compared to the Z. The Z has no back seat, and my wife and I will eventually start having kids, so I just don't know. We have a Pathfinder, so that could accomodate the kids, but do we want to have only one vehicle in which we can drive them or friends around in?

I still don't know what I'm going to do, because I just can't get the power of the Z out of my head...argh!
    The answer to your plight might be real simple: try the G35 coupe! Many people like it better than both the Z and the 3-series, obviously a matter of taste but really worth a look. JW
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    If you'r mainly into the power, keep looking around. There are a ton of cars with close to Z-like acceleration these days, some with more practical layouts. G35-coupe is an excellent example. The G35 4-dr is also a real sweetie.

Craig
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    2003 Sports Car Shoot-Out: Nissan 350Z vs. Mazda RX-8
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/101039/article- .html
  • abesbabeabesbabe Member Posts: 2
    so no one has answered my question! Is the 350Z convertible Roadster a limited edition or not?
  • j_75j_75 Member Posts: 2
    I doubt it's a limited edition, unless it's one of those pure marketing gimicks.

Mass produced sports car, with a limited edition convertible? Not unless your name is Ferrari.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    That they have sold something like 4000 roadsters so far. That's more than the entire production of 300ZX convertibles from '93-'96. I know in the adverts they say "limited availability," so is there a chance that someone misinterpreted that to mean limited edition?

I had the good fortune to find a great Nissan salesman who I've been chatting with over the last few months, and he was kind enough to let me take the first roadster they got out for a spin. Wonderful to drive, even if was an automatic. The power top is amazing. top down, it looks great, but with the top up, it looks like it has a bigger butt than J Lo.
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    I can not believe that no one has mentioned this..!

-mike-
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    They've made some running changes with the '04s, IIRC there have been some improvements made to the interior (knee bolsters and a new cover for the dash opening), and most importantly, re-calibrated suspension settings that were developed for the European market that have been adopted for all markets. It's supposed to be a significant improvement in ride comfort, while maintaining the handling capabilities.