Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    At least, trouble for my bank account. I test drove a new Performance coupe yesterday, and I think it might be love :) I've read this entire board, and just about everything else I can find pertaining to this car, but I'm still hooked, even with the possibility of some "issues". What an astonishing vehicle. Can anyone offer their opinion as to whether I should just go for an Enthusiast coupe instead of the Performance model? Is the VDC and 18" wheels worth the $2K premium? This car will be a stretch for me financially, but I think it is a classic and I may have to throw caution to the winds (if my dealer is willing to work with me on the final price). Any and all comments welcome!
  • angelo350zangelo350z Member Posts: 3
    To answer your question silver_bullet, yes, paying 2K is worth getting the VDC and the 18's. I mean, the rims alone would cost that much if purchased separately. On the other hand, if you're the type who would push the the Z's limits at the track regularly, the answer would be no. Most autocrossers agree that the VDC, though turned off, actually "turns on" by itself, preventing any dangerous (though exciting) powerslides. You'd probably change your factory 18's to lighter aftermarket wheels anyways. Just my .02. Hope it helps and good luck.
    I appreciate your comment. For the record, I live in SE Texas and never see snow, and I hope to keep this car out of the rain as much as possible. I doubt I'll ever autocross it or put it on the track either. Since it is almost time for the '05s, I'm starting to consider postponing my purchase until later in the year, or just ordering an '05 exactly the way I'd want it and waiting for it to arrive... especially with the comments I've read concerning upgrades for the new year.
    After returning to the dealership today, the chance of me buying one pretty much evaporated due to the inflexibility of the dealer (per my post in the "Prices Paid" board). Maybe for the best, because I was left to poke around the car for about 30 minutes while they appraised my trade, and I think I'm starting to agree with some of the recent posts re: cheap interior detailing. While I don't have a problem with the quality of the plastics and cloth, I do get irritated by sloppy seams, misfits, rough edges, and general flimsiness at this price point. The Performance coupe I looked at had all of these issues, including a dead pedal that was barely attached to the floor, poorly fitted carpet, sun visors that look like they belong in a Sentra, and sloppy seat stitching. Sure... this is a sports car, and Nissan put their money into the "good stuff", but I still think a $30K+ car needs interior materials and assembly quality a notch better than this.
  • jmelik777jmelik777 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know where you heard about the changes to the '05 model. I'm considering buying an '04, but am concerned about the tire feathering problem. Your message indicated that this problem is being remedied in the '05 model, but would like to know where you got that information from. Please let me know.

Thanks.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    According to Nissan News. The enhancements for '05 include: standard tire pressure monitor system, easier clutch effort, downshift rev matching for the automatic, driver's seat lifter, heated outside mirrors, faster nav, and Ultra-Yellow color (Liquid Aluminum color is dropped).

That's not much, considering the changes to the G35 Coupe, now with 298 HP.
  • jaquinojaquino Member Posts: 90
    Yeah that is kinda weird that the G35 coupe is getting more power than the Z.
  • laquinolaquino Member Posts: 2
    hey-is that you?
  • isellcars2uisellcars2u Member Posts: 1
    Is this Joe Aquino??? Is the STi not good enough, now you need to look at Z's???
    Nope you got the wrong guy, my name is John.

I have had my 350Z since December of last year.
  • delgadodelgado Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04.. enthusiast (no need to get a performance, touring or track -- because even the amenities are cheaper if added by Nismo and not financed into your payment)

The road noise is across the board, regardless of tire size. I believe it has more to do with the suspension and the way the tires are set. I think the Zs from the past generations were always set at 0"... these '03s and '04s are set at like .25" off center. No mention on whether this will be modified for the '05s...

But I love my car. Very few other Z car owners in the area, and that helps the exclusivity --which I like. It is worth the few minor headaches you will have (paint chipping in extra dry/dusty climates, tire noise after 5,000 miles on tires, expensive maintenance across the board). You will not be able to do much work on it on your own, so if you're into tinkering with the car, this may not be the one for you. Several parts on the car can be voided under warranty if an unauthorized mechanic alters them. So that is a drag.

Acceleration's great. Few cars will beat it in the .25/mi. or the half. And in this class, only the 'Vette will pass it stock. Braking is great, whether you go with the stock Nissan brakes that come on the base, enthusiast models or the Brembos that come on the Track. You really can't lose.

But if you're a ticky-tack person, play it safe and just get a Porsche.
  • laquinolaquino Member Posts: 2
    john, thought you were my bro jason aquino..jaquino.
    currently driving a 2004 merc 500e and am thinking about getting a second car.for the money the 350z tops my list.also considering vette c6,infinity g35 coupe,or 2005 merc slk.
  • bairmanbairman Member Posts: 3
    Saw the 05 Yellow today and it was awsome. MSLP of 41000.
  • iancianc Member Posts: 3
    where did you see it?
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    are on the trucks now. we havent received any, but it should be within the week.
    No problem laquino, I can see how you might have thought I was your bro.

Good luck, I hope you decide to get the Z. The other cars on your list are great as well.
    For those concerned about tire feathering, it would be best if you bought a new 350Z then getting a used one. I hear a lot of problems from owners who got either a 2003 or early 2004.

My car is a 2004.5, build date is 10/2003. So far with 9000+ miles on it there is no sign of tire feathering or tire noise *knock on wood*.

I don't know if Nissan fixed anything with the 2004.5s, so I can't say for sure if the tire feathering issue is resolved.

But then again, I read of 2003 owners who have no tire feathering issues at all at 20k+ miles. This seems to be a hit and miss thing.
    2004.5????

no such difference.

its either a 2003 or a 2004.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    Check it out at www.nissannews.com.

Highlights include 18's, Brembo's, front and rear spoilers, two-tone leather seats, and three colors to choose from.

Oh, and "a higher level of horsepower." Not announced at this time. Are they trying to tweak it to take away Acura's claim of the highest HP for a 3.5L normally aspirated V-6 (300 in the new RL)?
    bowke28 wrote: "2004.5???? no such difference. its either a 2003 or a 2004. "

Oh really?

Guess you never been to other 350Z forums. The supposed "2004.5" were built starting October 2003. I did not invent this, and it is common knowledge at other 350z forums (which I shall not mention because it is a violation of Edmund's rules). My mistake for assuming everybody knew about it.

Anyway Nissan was supposed to implement some changes through the mid-year, like knee pads and other stuff. Not all 2004s have knee pads, the ones built before 10/03 did not have them. Also Nissan changed the ECU firmware for emissions. 2003 and early 2004s have different firmware than the 2004.5. There are other slight differences as well.

Nissan does not refer to the later model 2004s as 2004.5, but it is a name that was used by various 350z forums to describe the changes that Nissan made mid-year.

I am not here to argue, you can take it for what it is worth.
    scanty wrote: "Oh, and "a higher level of horsepower." Not announced at this time. Are they trying to tweak it to take away Acura's claim of the highest HP for a 3.5L normally aspirated V-6 (300 in the new RL)?"

That could be a possibility. Also the new 2005 Mustang GT gets 300HP, so Nissan wants to make the Z a little more competitive I am guessing.

I bet the new Z will get "305HP" :D
    mid-year changes dont make a different model. manufacturers constantly make mid-year changes. the quest SL was made available with the skyview, but they didnt call it a 2004.5. the maxima SL became standard with a 5-sp. auto, but they didnt call it a 2004.5. nor do they call the current Z a 2004.5. it is a 2004 according to nissan.

your '2004.5' designation is your own and that of a few other private parties.
    bowke28,

Did you even read my previous response? Yes I admitted Nissan does not call the mid-year changes a 2004.5, and yes I admitted its a designation made by people on various Z forums.

As I said, I just use that designation to represent the mid-year changes, as some other people do. I did not invent it personally, just picked it up from another forum. I think it is easier/shorter to just say 2004.5 350Z than to say "mid-year changes made to 350Z starting at the 10/03 production date".

What else do you want from me? A written apology or something? Care to pick apart other parts of my message? Check my spelling perhaps too?

And where in my message did I mention about a different model? You are reading in too much from my simple post about tire feathering.

Sheesh.
  • gocard1gocard1 Member Posts: 31
    I also wrote this on other board, but thought I would try it hear to.

I'm interested in leasing a 2004 350Z Touring Roadster. 2 questions for this esteemed group:

1. With what I've read about some quality problems on this board and elsewhere, particularly the tire feathering problems, would you recommend this car? Are these major issues/problems or relatively minor nuisances that can be resolved?

2. What is some of the latest lease pricing you've experienced? Looking at a 36 or 48 month lease with 10k or 12k miles and as little cap reduction as possible.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated as I will likely make my decision imminently.

Thanks!
    the first thing i would recommend would be to not go over 36 or 39 months. NMAC also doesnt go less than 12k miles.
  • bairmanbairman Member Posts: 3
    Pinnacle Nissan, Scottsdale, AZ
  • beeba1beeba1 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchsed a 2004 roadster with an onboard Navigator. The cost of a new DVD is $680.00 and the one I re'd is over 6 years old. The dealer is having problems getting someone's attention. Any suggestions?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Try Zenrin.com, they sell the dvds for about $185. Man has that dealer got some profit build in! Were DVD's even used in cars 6 years ago?
  • starchecker1starchecker1 Member Posts: 35
    2 Years ago I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Z roadster, I have wanted a Z since I was in 8th grade. I finally had the money to afford one and they were just about to start production when the divorce hit! So now two years of ugly battles later I am finally able to get one. The question I need answers to now is that this would be my only car, and although after driving "practical" cars for 19 years I am ready for some serious fun I do have some serious concerns about the nasty blind spots on the roadster. How much of an issue is it, escpecially living in Denver or any large city with jammed interstates running through town. It seems it would be impossible to change lanes or merge onto the busy freeways. I have also looked at the Subaru STI - tons of fun with the sub 5 sec 0 - 60, looks tough in my opinion but I have never had a true sports car and although it might be the practical but fun alternative the Z is just too hot, and now that I am back on the market that appeals to me, alot!
    the Z will have a 35th anniversary edition for 2005 as well. look for one of those.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Keep in mind that there are truck drivers who can't see out the back at all. . .ever. They must use mirrors, plus a running tally of every vehicle in the lanes near them. It works.

Oh, you need to actually pay attention and treat driving as if it mattered, rather than whatever most people tend to be doing.

Buy the roadster. Pay attention. Have fun!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    If you learn to use the mirrors on the Z correctly, you won't find blind spots.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but most drivers use the side mirrors to look at the side of their own cars .... not very useful.

If you think of it this way, it will make sense. While you're turning your head to check off to the sides and behind you, you can't tell what is going on in front of you which is where most of the action is.

So try this: set the interior mirror so that it's centered on the lane behind you. Set the driver's side mirror so that, when you move your head to the left, then you can just barely see the side of your car. (When you're looking straight ahead, the mirror only shows off to the side of your car and behind.)

Set the passenger side mirror so that, when you move your head to the right, it just barely reflects the side of your car and, when your head is pointed straight ahead, you are seeing what is off to the side and behind you.

Test it: drive down the expressway at about 5-10 mph slower than the others. Watch a car as it comes up in your rear view mirror, then pulls out to pass. As it moves out of your rear view mirror it will be clearly visible in the side mirror, and when it moves out of the side mirror it will be visible in your own peripheral vision.

Anyway, no blind spots.

If I misuncerstood your question, apologies. But this information is repeated ont he boards at Edmond's quite often because so few people know about it. Hope it helps.

Enjoy your new Z. And, by the way, the best way to avoid blind spots is to put down the top!

JW
    Thanks jwilson1 and cdnpinhead. I thought about keeping the running tally of all the cars as I go by, which would help, but thinking how busy and fast things can get, it seemed more hassle than it was worth, the object of the car being to have more fun than extra effort. It's funny, jwilson1, just today driving around I realized just what you were talking about that I did have my mirrors looking at my side more than the next lane(not much use or help), but in a four door it was never really an issue. How embarrassing to learn this after almost 20 years of driving! Correcting that did make a huge difference.

What really helped was I got to sit in a coupe and a roadster in the parking lot(I can't beleive they leave a few unlocked every weekend!) Anyway after sitting in them and checking out the blind spots I would have to say they seem nonexistant to me! So the great news is Roadster here I come. Just have to wait for everything to finalize with the divorce, and I am ready to have some serious fun!

Thanks again guys for the input and information.

Only other issue is does anybody know of some good winter tires(I need them to be reasonably low priced to get started, not looking for great performace just grip in the snow, I am going to use the factory 17" rims for the winter tires, and get some hot 18" rims that I will buy better tires for the summer(sounds like the factory tires are junk)
    I'm glad the mirror comments helped out, starchecker.

Depending on where you live, you won't want or need dedicated snows. Of course if you live in Banff or Steamboat Springs, you should be looking at Subarus! Because of the performance of the car, you really won't want a cheap snow on anyway. You'll be unhappy with the performance and, if you use any significant part of your engine's torque, you'll find yourself sliding around on the bare cement almost as badly as if you had slicks on snow -- again, not something most people think about. You can check out performance winter tires, however. They'll be more expensive, but you'll be safer and happier with them. Check at TireRack for write-ups on such as these -- Blizzak LM-22, Pirelli 210 and 240 Snowsport (I use the 240 in New England), Dunlop has one with a very good reputation, and the Michelin Alpin is also well regarded.

Good luck.

JW
  • tarheeltonytarheeltony Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen a lease offered on a 350Z. I would think it should lease well since it doesn't seem to depreciate very much. Just wondering what a fair lease might be on a base model stickering around 27,500. Thanks.
  • 350zd350zd Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get your information from? Is it possible to confirm this information or it just heresay!
    I can't beleive I am actually writing this, but I got the car I dreamed of since 8th grade. I bought a brand new '04 Daytona Blue Touring Roadster! I was planning on waiting a few more months for things to settle after the divorce, but the dealership was offering $4500 off MSRP on the 04's and Nissan gave me 2.0% financing. A combined savings of $8,000! No way could I turn that down! The car hadn't even been test driven, except by the mechanics, before they put it on the lot.

All I can say is wow! I can't beleive what a great car it is. I have even had the top down several times. That's almost 80% of the enjoyment to me. I've never owned anything even close to something like this. The power, handling, all the interior features, the exhaust note is amazing with the top down! Not to mention the car is just to dang HOT! It takes my breath away everytime I walk up to it(still can't beleive she is mine). Last Sunday I was driving it through the mountains, and the power and accelleration even at altitude and going up hill is fantastic. I was just cutting through the traffic like a giant slalom skiier! Carving through the mountain passes with the top down literally brought a tear to my eye! I shudder sometimes when I think I almost bought the STI, great car, and when I need 4 doors and allwheel drive that is definitely what I will get, but this was a once in a lifetime shot to get something just for the thrills and chills and the heck with practicality. She's worth every cent and more I paid for it!

Thanks everyone for your input, and encouragement, you were right, the blind spot doesn't even really exist, so I feel totally comfortable in busy traffic, and now that I know how to use the mirrors, my situational awareness has gone up significantly.

What a car!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Bless you, son.

Your reaction is remarkably similar to how I felt when I drove my '73 240Z off the showroom floor in Edmonton with 6 miles on it, and in the weeks and months after. The old 240 can't begin to compare to the current Z, but it was the state of the art at the time.

Enjoy (as if you wouldn't)!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • bflemingbfleming Member Posts: 4
    I left this message on several boards, thought I'd see what you guys could tell me. I bought a 2003 350z in B,ham AL. I have the tire troubles like everyone else(on my 2nd set of front tires). I tried to trade it in at a Mazda dealership where my uncle is the GM. He said that the value of the 350 is gone do to the tire troubles. I paid 32k for this car and it's now worth about 17k on trade in. He hired a guy from Nissan and was told they are buying some of them back at the same price the customer paid. Has anyone heard of this happening anywhere else? If so, what steps did you take to give it back to Nissan?
  • brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone driven the roadster, is there any major differences between it and the hardtop such as wind noise, stiffness, performance?

Also curious about storage in both, any trunk space at all?

FYI, here is a review on both:

http://www.automedia.com/autoReviews/rts20040301zr/rts20040301zr.- asp?affid=

http://www.automedia.com/autoReviews/rts200404013z/rts200404013z.- asp?affid=
    buybacks over tires??? i somehow dont think so. tires on a sports car are designed not to go more than 20k miles, for the soft, road-holding rubber.

$17k? either your uncle is a thief, or you destroyed your car.

how many miles do you have on it?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    You obviously don't know the whole story, nor the seriousness, of the tire issues with the Z. As I stated in previous posts, Nissan bought my Fathers Z back because the tires were being replaced every 8K miles. The tire problems have ZERO to do with it being a sports car and has everything to do with the suspension set up of the 350. Nissan has admitted that they had/have issues with the suspension and can't seem to find a fix. If it wasn't a serious problem, you know Nissan would never have bought the car back!!!!

Buyback over excessive tire wear? Absolutely!!! Do you have any idea of how expensive it will be to replace these high performance tires every 10K miles. My Dad's biggest concern was resale value of a car that is known for serious tire issues. Nissa already bought 2 sets of tires for his car prior to the Lemon Law Buyback!!
    Thanks for the insults! Do you even have a 350z? If you do, you must have the only one with no tire troubles. These tire troubles are all over the internet and dealers are replacing tires for free at every dealership. My uncle is a very respectable car dealer, that's why he would not take my car on a trade in. He didn't want to stick it to me! Also, my Z is in excellent condition outside of the tires. Answering your question=I have 25k miles on the car.
    Thank you fish8, for backing my play. Unfortunatley you are the only one that has responded to my message with a confirmed buyback. I'll wait a little longer as my second set of tires wear out to see if the buybacks start happening more often. I would bet money Nissan is going to loss big bucks for this little alignment problem, besides what they have already lost in replacing tires.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I would strongly suggest finding a Lemon Law Lawyer. Their is a small up-front fee I believe(couple hundred $), but well worth the $$. Of course, Nissan will fight the buyback. But they have set a precedence. With 25K miles on your car I wouldn't waste anymore time.
  • brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    Anyone have info on head to head with these two. I love both of these but give the Z the edge in looks. I'm curios as to head to head performance.

Here is video of an all out lap, RX8 at Laguna Seca Raceway:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=- bod&sectionParameter=rx8_activity&bhcp=1
  • mltmlt Member Posts: 1
    I have a pearl white 2004 350Z Touring model. I have had since July. I am having a strange problem with the paint. If water stands on the car for any length of time small rust colored spots appear on the finish. They are very hard to wash off. I took it to the dealership the first time this happened and they said it was something stupid like "rail dust" left on the car from transport. I did not buy that explanation but now it is happening again. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you find out? Thanks.
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    I have a good solution that will work for sure. Pick up the clay made to clean a car's surface it will remove any surface contaminants safely. Use the lubricant provided, you will see all that junk picked up on the clay.
    As bobcat suggests, I don't think the problem is the paint in this case, but a combination of pollution and our choice of colors -- I have a white sportscar, too, and while it doesn't really show dust or even dirt too badly, the pollution that shows on the surface as strange colored water spots comes after dew or rain or whatever.

The only solution is to clay the car and then give it a good coat of wax (don't bother with cleaner wax as that's what you did with the clay, which is not as abrasive) and frequent washings.

Either that or you can move to Banff.

JW
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    I have a question...I am thinking of getting a 350Z and was wondering if anyone has purchased a Base. All I really want from the Enthuisiast model is the limited slip and cruise control. If you have a base model do you regret not stepping up to the enthuisiast or are you happy you saved 2000-2500 dollars? I wish they would make cruise a stand alone option, and limited slip should be standard on this car! Is it difficult to drive the 350Z without an open diff??