Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• lok2bye350zlok2bye350z Member Posts: 9
    im glad i didnt get the 350z the interior isn't what i was looking for
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    hmmm... probably should have actually gotten in one before picking your screen name, huh? ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• benibikerbenibiker Member Posts: 9
    :blush: All of you that have had tire wear/noise problems on your 2003 or 2004 Z, Nissan has just extended the alignment warranty to 36 months from the in-service date or Oct 31, 2005 which ever is later. http://www.sportzmagazine.com/pages_preview/2005/Fall2005/ZOwnerLetter.pdf
    If you were told by your dealership that you no longer qualified for warranty repair go back! I'm taking my 2003 in this week to see what they do. I have 13,800 miles and the noise is pretty bad around 20-30 mph range or when braking. It's not bad on the highway, all the other good sounds from the engine drown it out.
  • halitosishalitosis Member Posts: 2
    I purchase a Super Black Enthusiat 6M last Sunday.

With Aero kit, paint flaps, door sill trim, and mats, I paid invoice at $27850. There are no taxes in Oregon, where I live. I used the internet manager as my contact for quotes at every dealer I visited. Keep in mind that it is hard to find any Enthusiats with the factory bare bones spec. I'd bank on at least seeing some of the options listed above in any Z's you find at the local dealers.

WARNING: dealers fill your car up with regular gas as a "thank you" at the point of purchase. I strongly suggest that you ask what kind of gasoline they have and if they have only regular, as them to reimburse you for a fill of premium. I suffered from knocking as a result of the gas they filled for me, not knowing that it was not premium. :mad:
  • halitosishalitosis Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to warn potention buyers of the standard practice by dealers to fill your Z up with regular gas at the point of sale. Be sure to ask what gas will be filled in your new car and if they have provisions for only regular (this was the case with my dealer) then ask to be reimbursed for premium gas after you fill your car personally.

I experienced knocking on my first tank as a result of crap gas. The next tank of premium took care of this; however, it was very disconcerting to have your brand new car knock because of a dealer goof-up.
    :mad:
  • mojojojo24mojojojo24 Member Posts: 24
    I wish they'd get rid of the power seat switches on the side of the seat cushion.

That little plastic box jabbing into my thigh cost them a sale.
    Interesting.
    My thigh never comes close to it, and, if it did, the switches are below the level of the padding, so I still wouldn't feel them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ashyashy Member Posts: 9
    has anyonegot any parts for the interionr of a 350z
    aftermarket?
    yes, i have.
    I got a burnt orange shift boot and ebrake boot from redlinegoods.com.
    They had a limited supply of factory burnt orange and made up a set for me for $65. Looks great!

• ashyashy Member Posts: 9
    go 2 www.350zmods.com for the coolest 350z parts but it has a lot of technical problems so it only works sometimes :shades:
    So my dealer replaced my front tires and had the wheels aligned.

So far, I'm very pleased. I really had no idea the car could be this quiet on the road.

• boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    When will we begin to see the 2006 model 350Z's in the showroom...?

Thanks,
    -mike-
    now.

• davidg3davidg3 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone dare drive their Z in the snow or do you just leave it in the garage until the weather breaks?
    leave it.

i was at work once when it started snowing. Just a think coating on the ground and I couldn't even get out of the parking lot.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Tires make all the difference in the world. Performance summer tires are especially bad when the weather gets cold & dedicated snow tires are particularly good. All-seasons are just a compromise. With two sets of tires, you get the best of both worlds.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • starchecker1starchecker1 Member Posts: 35
    I agree with gbrozen. With the stock summer tires, you can't get out of the parking lot with even a thin layer of snow.

I hope to agree w/ cdnpinhead, but I haven't tried the snow tires. I will this winter. I have heard great things about Blizzaks with about 50 lbs of weight in the back.
  • mjp1mjp1 Member Posts: 3
    How long should I have to wait on my replacement tires? It's been 5 weeks since the dealer agreed to replace them (the roar is NOT COOL) but said they were on national back-order. I think they should pull two from one of the Zs sitting on the lot, but they're not going along with that suggestion. If anyone's had any luck getting the things replaced, give me a clue as to how to make it happen. I'd like to love this car, but so far...
    Look at it this way: the longer the order takes, the more miles you get on your tires, so the older your car will be when you wear through the freebies. Improves the overall maintenance costs for you. ;)

• mjp1mjp1 Member Posts: 3
    Maintenance costs that have been pretty much nonexistent! You're right; free tread. As long as I don't slow down, it's really a great car!!
  • texasmerqtexasmerq Member Posts: 86
    Does anyone know if the tire issue has been resolved with the 2005 or 2006 models?
    I've read of people with '05s having problems.
    Last I read, the '06 has a revised front suspension. Only time will tell if it helps.

• newfrontiernewfrontier Member Posts: 36
    It appears to me from the Nissan web site that VDC is only available in the Grand Tourning Roadster, and not available in the Touring or Enthusiast Roadster. Can anyone confirm that this is true? Also, can you get a set of golf clubs in the trunk of a 350Z roadster? How about the coupe?
    I have the 04 Touring Roadster and it doesn not come with the VDC.

You can fit one set of clubs in the Roadster's trunk, and I beleive two sets in the coupe. I would definitely not let that affect your decision though, the Roadster is way too much fun to worry about carrying someone else's clubs around. :)

You can also fit one 29" suitcase in the trunk, a 30" won't fit.
  • newfrontiernewfrontier Member Posts: 36
    Thanks. 1 set is all I need to carry. About VDC, I'm inclined to go for the Grand Tourning so I can get it because I live in the Northeast and was assuming that it would be helpful in slick weather (rain, very light snow). Do you think that VDC helps in these conditions?
    The touring comes with TCS, which is very helpful, I would probably fish tail a lot more than I do without it, even on dry pavement. Not sure what all the VDC will do for you, however, in the snow, the only way you are going to have any chance of driveability is to get winter tires. Most people have been recommending Blizzaks.

Last winter I didn't get the snow tires, and I couldn't even get out of the parking lot with 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. The stock tires will give you absolutely no traction on snow, regardless of what traction control system you have.
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    If you own a 350z roadster, is the "bathtub" feeling as annoying as Car&Driver make it sound? I do like to rest my arm on the door sill (sorry for red neck haters :) ) but is seems like that is hard to do in the Z. That's not really a big deal for me though. It seems like this is a good time to buy a slightly used roadster since the prices are not much more than similarly equipped coupes, even though new they cost 3-5 grand more!
    I am considering a loaded 05 touring coupe, hwvr it already has factory xm sat radio in it. Is there any way to convert relatively easily to sirius?
  • mseningenmseningen Member Posts: 27
    Does the roadster have the ability to cut-off the passenger
    airbags?

Have a 5yr old, and I am considering an '04 or '05 Z Roadster,
    but if I cna't disable the bags, I'll be forced to look at something with a back seat.

thanks,

m
  • harleyman1harleyman1 Member Posts: 3
    Dealer just replaced 2 front tires on my 350Z for FREE! Big difference in ride noise...these just had 15,000 miles. Also brakes were shot...went to Midas for lifetime warranty..same price as dealer.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Don't know whether the 350Z comes with an air bag cutoff switch standard, but even if it doesn't you can probably have one installed for about $300 +/-. You will need an certificate of approval from the NTSA, for which you can get an application from their web site.

I obtained such an approval for my 2002 Honda S2000, but never had a switch installed. At the time it was purchased, our daughters were 3 and 6. Even with an air bag cutoff switch, the standard Recaro seats in the S2000 would not have accomodated a booster seat for the younger one. And even my oldest was barely 55 lbs when we traded the S2000 when she was 9. I did take both of them to school on occassion at 5-10 mph on side streets and the oldest to soccer and errands at 25-30 mph max on city streets. But I never would have had either of them in the passenger seat on the DC Beltway.

FWIW, I saw an article comparing the passenger safety of roadsters a year or so ago in one of the car magazines and the 350 Z came in dead last. Boxster and new SLK were tops, S2000 and BMW Z4 were in the middle. Audi TT and Miata were slightly above the 350Z. The ratings were based upon structural integrity/analysis, not actual injury reports. You might want to do a Google search.

We now have a 911 Cab and everyone is happy. The rear seats are tight, but considerably safer, with appropriately fitted seat belts. Fortunately, my wife and daughters are relatively small, so it looks like we won't grow out of it soon.
  • rtklmdrtklmd Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up a '04 Roadster Touring with 18" tires. The tires on the car are shot and makes lots of noise. Is it worth it to take the car immediately to the dealer and demand replacements,the car is still under factory warranty, with 27,000 miles, and its appearst to be the orginal tires. Or just get a new set, the car was a deal....$24,600 so another $1,000 for tires is still a good price. I was getting new quotes for $33,000, but mine has navagation...not sure if the nav was worth it...
    yeah your car should be covered by the extended warranty nissan put on all '03 and '04 nissans. don't hesitate to take advantage of that, esp since it should include an alignment tweak! if the car is in great shape though, your price sounds fantastic! :)
    I don't think you really mean "roadster."
    The roadster is the convertible, which stickers for over $38k new. So I'm guessing you mean the coupe ... right?

The car is a 04 350Z convertible, with touring package, nav, auto and 27,000 miles, I think the miles dropped the price. The dealer ended up replacing the tires and did a front end alignment for $150.00. I am very happy with the service and esp the car and the way it handles. The ride is much quiter with the new tires. I hope the new set lasts awhile.
    that's a hell of a deal! Yeah, 27k miles is alot, but over a third off the new car price for only 2 years old is STEEP. That's american luxo car depreciation territory. Even Edmunds TMV is $32k. Clean carfax, I hope? If so, congrats. That was a steal.

Yea I think that it was a great deal, I bought it from a Jaguar Dealer, the previous owner traded on a Jag X type....so clean carfax and i did purchase an extended warranty for an additional 4 yrs and 48,000 miles for $1,700. This kicks in at the end of the 3 yr 36K factory warranty. I just hope it wasnt a waste of money.
  • specialtspecialt Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to purchase or lease a 350Z in the spring. I've been doing a lot of research, but haven't been able to find the answer to one question. What are the actual/technical differences between the Enthusiast and Track and is the price difference really justified? Any insight would be really helpful.
  • joesmoejoesmoe Member Posts: 2
    eom
  • ambergrlambergrl Member Posts: 4
    ROADSTER OWNERS BEWARE!! My 2005 350z Roadster started having problems at 4ooo miles! My car suffers from extreme FRAME FLEXING! The car rubs, squeaks, knocks from the interior pieces not fitting properly. Already had the car put back together- bumper to bumper! I am currently pursuing a BBB Complaint. Anyone else with similar problems please contact me!!! THANKS.
  • zztop3zztop3 Member Posts: 23
    When I was told that the reason a sunroof was not available is because Nissan could not maintain Structural rigidity of the car if they put a hole in the roof + considering the use of the obvious front/rear body bracing,
    I always wondered how they could get away with a rag top.

I figured it would have the potential for a lot of flexing unless they were really careful in the Roadster design because of the loss of the ever important roof structure.

Sounds like my suspicions may have not been so nutty.
    Take a car that is more flexible than it's hard top sibling, push it hard around curves for long term (which you should as that is why we own a Z) and it sounds like you are now finding a potential design flaw.

You must really push this car hard all the time though because I did not expect to start reading about problems that you are describing until well into the 20K to 40K range.

Do you run this car at the track much,autocross it or much worse for 'bending' a car, do a lot of drifting?
    This is my everyday car that I use to drive back and forth to work (35 miles round trip)and errands and that’s about it. I do not push this car because I am not feeling safe driving in it anymore. NISSAN has tried to fix the problems with my driver side door 4 times now and are still unsuccessful! Every time they try some new fix, it creates another problem! I previously owned a 2004 350Z Touring COUPE and upgraded into the 2005 Touring Roadster... I am so disappointed with this car... :lemon:
  • zman11zman11 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering becoming a 2006 350Z owner. Does anybody know whether Nissan has resolved the tire feathering/cupping problem in the 2006 models?
    Does anybody know of any other problems with the 2006?
    Many thanks.
    :confuse:
  • elmonioelmonio Member Posts: 2
    The track has the breaks, nicer wheels, and underbody upgrade....if you are just going to cruise in the car, you dont need it. If you are going to take it to the track every so often or like to drive as if you were in the track, then go with the TRACK version, no doubt.
  • elmonioelmonio Member Posts: 2
    The noise when you start maybe the hydraulics from the brakes...mine does the same...touch the peddal as soon as you start and you will see what i mean.
    I have the TRACK version, no bose there, I dont like it and plan on doing an upgrade...poor sound from it.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    I just test-drove a new 2005 Touring edition roadster at the dealer's. It's leftover, so they've dropped the asking price to $34,000. It has mud guards, wind deflector, mats, cargo net which boosted the price some.

I had been thinking along the lines of a Solara or the new Volvo C70, very different cars, but loved driving the Z-car.

On the whole, would those of you who own 2005 convertibles do it again? Are you happy with your choice? If you decided on or wish you'd decided on something else, what other car would you have picked?
    DO NOT BUY A ROADSTER! There is a reason that they have dropped the price!! The ROADSTER suffers from FRAME FLEXING! You might not notice it right away but it develops. POP the hood and you'll see a bar that is mounted across the engine in hopes of making the car a little more sturdy! I have owned a 2004 COUPE and now a 2005 Touring Roadster that I can't stand to drive!

Did I mention that I'm currently in a law suit on this car?
    See my previous posts...
  • jd1966jd1966 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 2005 Anniversary Edition - could someone tell me what is special / different abou the Anniversary Edition...

Thanks
    that bar is present in the coupes, too. So it has nothing to do with trying to keep just the convertible from flexing.

Have you heard of anyone else having this problem? Yours is the first I've personally heard of, so I'm certainly not willing to shoo people away from the Z convertible in general for this one instance.

• biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Today I had the pleasure of test-driving the new Volvo c70 and the Toyota Solara. First impressions: The Nissan was certainly the most fun. For pure grins, tight handling, traditional sports car feel, it's the winner. Clearly it's also the least practical of the group, too.

The Volvo was very comfortable, obviously more practical, very quiet even with the top down. With top down, windows up, I could carry on a conversation with the salesman. Turbo-lag was very noticeable; as compared to either my Maxima or the Z-car, it took a bit of getting used to because the Nissans respond immediately. The Volvo had that moment of hesitation. Dynaudio stereo was fabulous. I tried out the back seat; it was VERY difficult to get out of, despite the control of pulling the front seat forward. Dealer is asking full sticker, no negotiation possible.

The Solara had a decent ride. Seats felt like they needed more padding. The trunk was huge for a convertible, almost equal to the Maxima trunk. It was also pretty easy to enter and exit the back seat. What makes it a loser, for me, was the horrendous rear visibility with the top up. The broad side pillars, combined with the tall headrests in the back, made it almost impossible to see out of.

So, oddly enough, for me right now it's between the Nissan and the Volvo, two very different cars. More test-driving is clearly necessary before making a final decision. Tough job, but someone's gotta do it. ;-)