Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Well, y'all, I am now an official member of the 350Z club! Decided it was the most fun, best value, and will be a great beach car. I would almost be scared of taking the Volvo to the beach, as a large, expensive car.

I went back to the dealer today and took the car out on the Beltway, to see if I'd be nervous with big trucks whooshing past. And I wasn't, at all. I like that the Z is heavier than the usual sports car, it felt stable and rigid and not blown around at all. Handling is precision-sharp.

I asked the sales guy about the tire feathering issue, and he said it was because the alignment of the 2003 versions had been set to the way the Japanese drive, on the left with the driver on the right. Um, frankly, that sounds like nonsense to me, but whatever. Anyway he said the alignments specs were changed by mid-2004, and the 2005 shouldn't have any problems along those lines.

I feel like I got a good deal. Original sticker was somewhat north of $40,000. Current asking price for this was $34,500. (Current 2006s are in low 40's) I offered $32. He came down to $33,500 plus the dealership has a program where they give you two sets of tires, at 25 and 50k miles. So that's not bad, as long as the tires make it to 25,000 miles each time! I asked what would happen if they don't, and he said as long as I do all the maintenance per the book, they would replace earlier if needed.

Used Touring models with some miles on them have asking prices of typically around $30 - $32k, sometimes even more, so I feel like this is fair enough.

Anyway, I'll re-evaluate after I've had it for a couple years, might trade up to a Volvo then if we find we really wish for a larger convertible very often, but I think I'll be very happy with this for quite some time.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    congrats, biancar.

I think you did fine, too. Heck, I said $33k would be my trigger point, right? ;)

i just love the various ridiculous explanations I've heard salespeople give on the tire issue.

I think there is a good chance you'll love this car for a long time. :) enjoy!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• zztop3zztop3 Member Posts: 23
    Sorry but I could not resist posting and once again, I am reminded that a woman's mind works totally differently than a man's.
    Please don't interpret that as being sexist in any way as it is not. It is just fact.

My wife always tells me that the way each sex's brains are 'wired' will always be a mystery to each of us.

You gotta admit that your logic is very,very funny.
    Let me get this straight cause I have to admit that I am laughing my butt off after reading your post:)

You bought the second most popular Sports car as judged by being the number 2 seller behind the Corvette in the Sport Car Coupe category (sales results for all production cars are on automobear.com) to take to the BEACH?

(BTW, Exotics are Not included in the sales figures and that includes the gamut of the Dodge Viper to the Ferrari's.)

And you bought tbis beach car where a 350Z at the Beach is "steal me" bait because you were afraid of "I would almost be scared of taking the Volvo to the beach, as a large, expensive car"?

Is this some private beach at your second home or a public beach?
    I ask because there is no way I would leave a Z at a public beach which is full of people who will steal it over that Volvo in a hearbeat.

Don't misunderstand. The Volvo C70,although underpowered, is a car I would love to own as it is a very nice car.
    It also would be the car I would choose for those long road trips particurly since the 350Z is very tiring after a few hours of driving it.

If you wanted a convertible then why didn't you look at the Nisssan 350Z Roadster?

Well, what is done is done and the Z is in your driveway now.
    I KNOW you will love your new Beach car. It is a blast.

Just curious. Why didn't you look at the G35?

You gotta admit that your logic is very,very funny:)
    ummmmm.... it IS a roadster, zztop.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks, gbrozen, for pointing that out. ZZtop3, I'm laughing myself at your post! What I bought was indeed, a roadster. A fun convertible that really put the grin on my face from the first test-drive.

We have a second home in Nags Head, North Carolina. The Outer Banks area is not exactly a bed of crime; it's a family-oriented area where people typically rent homes by the week (although ours is just for our use, not rented out). The 350Z roadster seems a perfect car to cruise along the beach road, top down, with the ocean to the east and the beautiful Albermarle and Croatan Sounds to the west. I can imagine driving it all over the back roads in the area, having fun, maybe with the top down on a moonlit night, listening to soft jazz on the excellent stereo.

The Volvo is certainly a very nice car. But for $45,000, plus tax, plus fees, etc., I really wanted more zing. I wanted more than "nice car." After seeing all the gadgetry, there was something about it that just seemed, well, soccer mom having an outing. It lacked spice. Lacked that quickness of acceleration and handling. Lacked that ephemeral sex appeal that the Z-car has, in spades.

When I said I would be afraid to take the Volvo to the beach, I wasn't even thinking crime. I was thinking sandy feet, salt water stained beach towels, people in wet bathing suits. Somehow the Z seems like a car that can take life as it comes. The Volvo seems like, "ooh, don't hurt me, don't put those messy feet anywhere near me."

Buying a car is as much about emotion as it about logic, and the Volvo just didn't make my heart beat faster. The Z did.

And it didn't hurt at all that the Z I bought, due to the unusual circumstance of finding a left-over 2005, was around $12,000 cheaper than the Volvo. Best of both worlds, a new car at a used car price.
    It appealed to my heart; it appealed to my wallet.

So if that's woman's logic, well, so be it. I think there are plenty of men who understand what I'm talking about here.
  • jd1966jd1966 Member Posts: 3
    I picked up a Silverstone 2005 350Z 35th Anniversary Coupe on Friday night and am loving it... Had only 4,400 miles on it and even had the Nav in it.
    Now I need to learn all there is about Z ownership. Any suggestions on clubs, events, etc... would be appreciated.
    Congrats to you! Is that with a black or a frost interior? Where in the country are you?

Most important, are you having fun yet? ;)

If you do a google search for "3350z groups" you might find something. I've found quite a few on-line forums just searching with "350z."
  • zztop3zztop3 Member Posts: 23
    I am glad you got the roadster but if you are like most Z owner's, you are still going to be a fanatic about dirt:)

Enjoy.

Read this article on the automotive turkeys of this year and it will make you feel even better.
    The #1 Winner(loser?) was the Volvo.

The article is a bit wierd to navigate but you will get to the page on each car in the list.

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/carturkey_1.html
    "I am glad you got the roadster but if you are like most Z owner's, you are still going to be a fanatic about dirt:)"

How'dja guess?? I already have a chamois tucked in one of the little cubbies behind the seats to wipe off the fingerprints on the trunk...so I'm inconsistent I guess! ;)

Going off to read the article you posted...
  • jd1966jd1966 Member Posts: 3
    It has the Two-Tone Black & Tan interior - very nice. And yes I'm loving it... I have an Infinity G35x as my other car and this is my weekend / summer toy. I live in Massachusetts and am looking forward to some good rides to the Cape & Newport.
    Has anyone replaced the standard auto-dimming mirror with the one that has an integrated compass in it? If so, did you do it yourself or have the dealer do it?
    Just have to post again to say I'm LOVING my new roadster! It's so much fun to drive, even going for groceries gives me a thrill.

Couple days ago I went to meet a friend for drinks at an outdoor cafe. The car was parked just in front of the seating area. While we were there, a woman was walking across the street towards us. She stopped and grabbed her friend's arm and pointed excitedly at my car. When they got closer, she got out her little digital camera and took a picture of it!

That has NEVER happened, to my knowledge, with any other car I've had!
    hehe. glad you're having fun with it, biancar.

yeah, i also never had a car anyone took much notice of until i had my Z. People would stop me in parking lots all the time to share compliments.

• badoubadou Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had service done yet for the Z recall due to the fuel filler hose that may crack and result in fuel leakage and could possibly cause a fire? I received a letter from Nissan HQ a few weeks ago, called my dealer (in NJ) and they don't have the parts yet? They are supposed to replace the fuel filler and vapor hoses. This is my second recall on my 2003 Z. First one regarding tire feathering. Still love the car (despite stereo) but recalls making me nervous. Although a recall to fix is better than leaving the problem.
    recalls shouldn't make you nervous. Its the potential problems you DON'T know about that AREN'T recalled that you should worry about. ;)

• dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    I also live in the DC area, and recently drove to Wilmington to start a tour of the outer banks area. It was such a great time. I have an 05 touring (coupe) and could imagine having the roadster would just make it even better. There are some stretches near Cape Hatteras where you can really open it up, on a quiet day when no one is looking. I got up to 115 then stopped. Would have been fun to go further but I guess I'm getting old. Anyway, carry on with your great roadster driving...along some of the nicest coastline in north america! Also, the 2 free sets of tires is a big deal, since a set of new tires for the Z is at least a grand, probably more like 1200. They can't cheap out on you since there are so few models that fit the Z (with the staggered fr and rear sizes). So I would say you got a heck of a deal on a leftover 05 roadster :shades:
    Thanks. I just hope the tires last until 25,000 miles! They won't replace them before then.

I think it was a great deal, too, and am continuing to enjoy every minute of driving! Drove down to the OBX a few days ago and mileage on the highway was much, much better than around town. Made it from Washington to Nags Head on one tank of gas and still had, according to the trip computer, slightly over 100 miles to go until empty. Avg was around 23 mpg.

Has anyone else started buying convenience accessories? I ordered, from a place called "Courtesy Nissan" that I found on line, a replacement cupholder that's pretty neat. It is a double cup-holder with a sort of handle for the base that fits into the coin compartment thing. (You have to take out the little coin holder, of course.) It works pretty well. I've taken out the useless cupholders that came in the car and just put them aside to use that whole console space for storage.

Also I bought the Z over-the-back-of-the-seat mesh storage bag, and that's quite useful. All together, it was amazing how much stuff I could put into that little car for my trip down here. The trunk holds more than you might think, since it's all so accessible.

Anyway, practicality aside, am loving driving this thing. The zoom-zoom and grins factor are certainly off the scale!
    I have ordered from courtesy, they are great! I ordered the ratcheting NISMO oil cap, which is really sweet, and the JWT popcharger, which changes the character of the car a little, you here more intake than exhaust, compared to stock. Of course with the roadster, it may be a nice mix since you are probably getting a lot of that sweet exh sound!
  • dbrasherdbrasher Member Posts: 17
    I just done a buy back. I had the 2004 touring model. It had 25,000 when i dropped it off. I was on my third set of front tires at 20,000. They have an extended warrenty till 36,000 for that problem. I live in California and I found a free lemon law attorney on the internet that took my case. You have to have all your records to do so. Loved the car other than tire and brakes.
    there is an extended warrenty till 36,000 on the front tire problem. I had the 2004 and Nissan just bought it back
    my 2004 come with Bridgestone tires.
    They may have quit using those. I have Michelin Sport Pilots.

Seems like the coupe had more problems than the roadster. From what I can tell, from build dates of mid-2004 onwards people aren't having those tire problems.
    Has anyone here who owns a Roadster replaced the standard mirror with the one that also includes a compass? I wanted to buy it but the parts guy at the dealer said the catalog indicated it was for coupe only. He didn't know why, said that maybe the latch and the electronics for the top opening and closing might get in the way of the wiring needed for the compass display.

Can anyone confirm that, or has anyone been able to do that replacement?
  • kvetkvet Member Posts: 5
    Have put premium (91)in my 05 Z for one yr. Put regular (87) in by mistake for one tank and then out of fear put in medium (89) running now. Have had no change in engine performance. Is premium (91) really necessary or a hoax?
    It's necessary, but one tank of a lower-octane gas is not going to make a noticeable difference. Over time, it would.

When your current tank gets down to about half full, fill it up again with 91.

You've paid a lot of money for a high-perfomance car. Don't cheap out on the gas. If the difference between lower octane and premium is .20, and you put in 15 gallons at a time, you've paid $3.00 more for putting in what the manufacturer says is necessary. If you can't afford that, then do yourself a favor and trade in the car for something that runs on regular.
    Biancar;
    Thanks for the advice. Lots of mixed msgs on google ("do I need premium") At age 74 I'm not cheap just frugal and I really can afford the Z.
    I hear you, I think of myself as "frugal" too.

Except for buying my cars and my jewelry...

We should start an "older, wiser, and still having fun" club; I'm a young retiree myself. ;)
    Retired? Hah! I'm sitting here working my "buns off". I'm only 74 and my wife has lots of bad habits.
    ... my wife has lots of bad habits.

Including you? ;)

(P.S. - do you let your wife drive your car? So far I've only let my husband drive it once. Mostly he gets the Maxima. Life is good. :shades: )
    After 48 years of "Wedded Bliss"? I let her do most anything she wants. She doesn't like the small confining space of a Z so she drives her Jeep Cherokee.
  • superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    Hi everyone - You guys seem to have a lively forum. Nice to see Z owners are so passionate. I have been looking for a second "weekend fun" car for some time now and finally settled on a Z. I've found a 2004 Touring roadster with 25k on the odo. It's in good shape overall. I have two questions:

1) When I test drove it, I felt like there was heat seeping into the cabin (with the top down) while driving on the freeway. It was after a very hot day, but had cooled down in the evening - during my short drive. I couldn't localize where the heat was coming from and *NO* I didn't accidentally turn on the seat heater (I checked). Has anyone experienced this problem? What's the cause? Should it prevent me from buying car?

2) Best price for private party deal? Asking is $29,900. After looking at used inventory, Edmunds, KBB, NADA, I have an idea what I should pay, but would like to hear your opinions on a good deal, considering a major model change may be close at hand.

Thanks!!
    Touring means there's a leather interior, right? Is it black?

The black interior of my car heats up really fast (I have a 2005 Redline touring roadster, carbon leather seats). I bought a couple of inexpensive terry-cloth seat liners (sort of like a poncho for your seats) to use here at the beach. Protects the leather from sand and sun-tan oil, and keeps it a bit cooler.

That black leather may have been the source of the heat you felt.

If not, check the heating controls carefully. If the temperature knob was turned to 75 or higher, and the other knob turned to "auto," it may have been sending out warm-ish air. On your next test drive make sure temp is set to 72 or below, or else turn the "auto" knob to off, and see if you still have a problem.
  • anon954anon954 Member Posts: 11
    Hey im thinking of buying this 350z roadster with nismo package. Its listed on ebay and the previous owner had it displayed on www.nismozr.com
    For 30K is this a decent car? (seems cheap for the price considering all the mods.)
    Are there anything I should be wary of?
    If that is exactly what you want, $30k doesn't seem bad. I'm sure its cheaper than buying a stock one and doing all that yourself.

The miles are low (15k).

The only thing I could say you should really worry about is the tire-feathering issue. BUT, with the full aftermarket suspension on this car, you may not have that problem any more.

You will go an inspect and drive it, though, right? Before bidding, I mean. Make sure it drives right. With only 15k, it should feel like a new car. I always worry that a heavily modded car like this was beat on hard.

Yeh, I plan to drive to the dealership (150mi. away) to test drive it. He said the guy traded it for a corvette if that says anything about the owners driving habit. One thing that was strange was that it was fully modded in Tampa then traded on the east coast of FL.
    eh. I wouldn't sweat that.

I took my wife's truck 100 miles from home just to get a moonroof put in. Between shopping for the best price AND a quality shop with a good reputation, you can wind up travelling a good distance.

good luck with the test drive. let us know how you make out.

• rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    Anybody buying a 350z should seriously wait for the 07 to come out. The new Z will have the new VQ under the hood. Power should be slightly more than the g35 which is 306. The new G35 has a 0-60 time of 5.2 sec and the 1/4 mile at 13.9 at i think it was 104. That was the sedan(manual) so the 350 should do 60 in 5 seconds or better and maybe 105 in the 1/4 if you guys want to keep up with the twin turbo bmw 3 series that has 300 hp but was proven to be very underated. Pover on the dynos is closer to 350hp!!
    considering the price difference, I should hope the bimmer will stay ahead. If not, good for the Z!

i should probably point out, however, that these are 2 entirely different vehicles that appeal to 2 entirely different crowds for entirely different reasons.

Sure, I like them both, but if a Z fulfills my needs, I certainly won't spend the extra money for the bimmer. The G35 vs the bimmer is a much better comparison. Although there is still a price difference, at least they share the same number of seats, for starters.

They are not actually entirely different vehicles (rear wheel drive sport coupes.) I am strongly indecisive over which car to buy. A new Z with all practical options (at least grand touring trim and options to match the BMW) will run only a couple thousand short of a moderately equipped 335i. The BMW does offer much more practicality and more performance AND a much better warranty/service plan. Oh yeh, it is a BMW. Oh oh yeh... twin turbos with apparantly underrated potential;)
    I don't think the 07 350Z will include the updated VQ motor that is in the new G35. According to the changes section in C&D the 07 350 will soldier on with no changes compared with the 06. I wish it was true because if so we would see the 0-60 time drop below 5 seconds. The new G35 has the updated horsepower rating so compared to the 300 hp 350Z it is probably liek 330 hp. Where did you get the info that the 07 350 will have the updated VQ motor? :(
    RWD sport coupes .... so let's throw the corvette Z06, Dodge viper, Jag XK, and a handful of porsches into the comparison.

the options (and price) difference is a big reason why they are very different vehicles. The bimmer STARTS at about $13k more than where the Z starts.

If you step up to the Grand Touring Z, you still save $5k over the base bimmer. The equipment difference can almost be considered a draw because each vehicle at that point comes with equipment the other doesn't.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be comparing the G35 instead.

Honestly, if you can afford the bimmer, I don't see where the decision lies. And if the Z has ANYONE thinking twice about their 335 purchase, again I say GOOD FOR NISSAN!! That's an incredible feat, in my opinion.

hmmm... i wonder how much it really would help the 0-60 time on a stock vehicle. I found the biggest enemy to acceleration in the Z was traction, not lack of power. Of course, with aftermarket tires, we could see improvements, and I'm sure even more drastic improvement with drag slicks, but I'm pretty confident you won't see that happen in any magazine comparo. ;)

5K difference is not much! You have to compare equal features also. If 5,000 dollars is too big a gap for you you should not even be a car enthusiast. Comparing a top of the line nissan to entry level(3-series)BMW is fair. Comparing two cars made by the same company which both have the same engine, frame, and engineering is a stupid comparison!Oh yeh, all the cars you mention (z06, xk, viper, porshe) those are unfair and in completely different price ranges!
    Comparing two cars made by the same company which both have the same engine, frame, and engineering is a stupid comparison!

who is doing that? You realize I was saying to compare the G35 to the 335, don't you??

You have to compare equal features also.

I would if I could, but a base bimmer doesn't come with leather and a limited slip differential like the GT Z. Likewise, a GT Z does not come with memory seats like the base bimmer. WHY? because the 335 is not a sportscar like the Z and the Z is not a luxury car like the bimmer.

Oh yeh, all the cars you mention (z06, xk, viper, porshe) those are unfair and in completely different price ranges!

ummmm... EXACTLY my point! glad we agree.

Do you realize that a base bimmer is only $3k less than a base vette. SO... if $5k doesn't mean that much, then why not extrapolate your position and compare a vette to the Z?? Oh, and, hell, the Cayman is only another $5k beyond that, and a Cayman S is only a couple grand more than a loaded 335. I could go on and on. The fact is, you have to draw the line somewhere.

If 5,000 dollars is too big a gap for you you should not even be a car enthusiast.

LOL! See my statement above. Hell, what if I said I think you shouldn't be an enthusiast because you are picking a weighted-down GT Z rather than the lighter base model or more sporty Track model? Everyone has their cross to carry. Some folks find it more important to put $5k in their child's college fund. Others may rather use that $5k to mod their vehicle.

Right there is a heck of an idea. If you really want to cross-shop the 2, you should be considering a GT Z with a twin-turbo mod. That would bring the prices right in line with each other. (although i'd still argue one is a luxury car and the other is not, at least you'd cure the price argument)

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    You're giving this person far too much credit.

That he/she can understand what you just posted is highly unlikely.

You have more patience than I.

I'm down to the G35 coupe & 3-series BMW for my next vehicle, but the longer I look & listen, the closer I get to the BMW.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    nissanews.com charting the changes
    The infiniti lacks in all aspects, and IMO especially in looks. Now you mention BASE cayman(not S) BASE corvette not Z06. You keep changing what your comparing. All of the BASE models are NOT comparably equipped as afore mentioned in ALL the posts. Your math of BASE is only 3,000 extra and a comparable model is only 5,000 beyond that. With that logic you could compare all cars in the same price! Oh, a twin turbo mod now eliminates an already inferior warranty/service contract!
    What this all comes down to is that the new 335i is a much more impressive car even considering the slight price difference.
    BTW- yes have drove both 350z and g35 and the Z is a better car IMO so I would not even consider an entry level infinti over the historical Z car.
    *yawn*

alright, I'm done with you. I can't compare base models, but you can? (referring to the base 335)

and, yes, i changed my comparison because (and this would have been obvious to the most dense reader) you originally stated you were comparing RWD coupes, which would include all that I listed, then YOU changed to mention price, which I originally mentioned, but you dismissed as unimportant.

fine. whatever. you obviously have your own agenda and no amount of sane and logical reasoning can change that. As I've said, the mere fact that someone would pit the Z to the bimmer in their mind is REALLY good news for Nissan.

good luck to you.

Good, if you submit you have no need to respond anymore with your foolhardy opinions. The only base model I compared was the BMW due to the price and the fact the 335i base model is already pretty loaded with *options since it is the top of the line 3-series (not including M).
    I never changed the price, look back at the posts.
    It is your own unappreciative outlook of Nissan that makes it inferior to BMW in such a way to be overjoyed at a comparo of a 335i and well equipped Z.
    A better kick in the pants for Nissan fans would be the many Z to M3 comparos, but since the dropping of the new 335i with a much more competitive price, this comparo is only natural.
    Read over the posts and look at how much you change stance on this subject.
    OH... don't forget your "done" with me :)
  • sportscar_fansportscar_fan Member Posts: 3
    Advantages: Every inch the tyre-shredding muscle car. The 350Z provides barrel-loads of poke and a thrill-a-minute driving experience. Plenty of grunt from 283 hp V6.

Disadvantages: Strictly a two-seater where some rivals offer four, and boot space is compromised by suspension strut.

Verdict: Works brilliantly as coupe or convertible.

Information from: http://www.car-catalog.com/sports_cars/nissan_350z.htm

What do you think about this car? Please comment!