Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• alaskans13alaskans13 Member Posts: 22
    Well the Z itself doesn't have to be high volume to save Nissan. If it's a success, it will improve Nissan's image and help sell their lower end cars as well.
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    > "So don't look down your nose at the Mustang"

Where in my post did I do that?

My point is, it's not just about "muscle car performance", which is the common theme of all your arguments for the Mustang. Some people have other considerations, and really aren't concerned if you can "blow (or suck) their doors off" for the same or less money.
  • dohc32vdohc32v Member Posts: 60
  • roadrunnernsxroadrunnernsx Member Posts: 6
    Just an observation. More is not always the true road to happiness:} I went the Viper/Corvette/NSX route. The NSX won out due to combination speed, handling, confidence inspiring and feel. Hard to describe by #'s, you just have to drive and find your personality. I positioned myself to buy a Viper for 5 years, and after several test drives happened to drive an NSX. It blew me away the way I could go through traffic, unlike the Viper which left you feeling cramped and unable to break the bonds, you can carve your way to freedom. Also driving comfort/seating/clutch-footrest position/Honda engine quality/Honda factory backing all factored into my decision. I dont have tons of money for maintenance. What car would you bet on for seeing 100k? 200k?. I still love the Viper GTS but driveablity and daily performance goes to the NSX. Also, My Mustang Cobra friend wants to race after he adds a blower and changes the rearend. Still doesnt want the 0-150-0 challenge though;} All these cars are great, just have different strengths and weaknesses.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    0-150-0 challenge, hehe :)
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Ford ranks right up there with Dodge when it comes to quality. Sure anyone can build a car and make it go down a track quickly, but anyone spending 30k certainly considers more than just speed. What about resale value, handling, reliability, fit/finish and safety to name a few. Ford Quality is not job 1.

In fact Ford has said itself that Quality is sub standard. In 1987 when I was in College a Ford Mustang LX 5.0 was about $13,000 and at that price it was a good bang for the buck. 25K today seems like alot for a car that has not improved on the raw materials that go into it.

I would take the Z ANY day over a stank, I mean stang.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    In this Z (or any Japanese/German performance car) vs. Mustang (or any American muscle car) debate it is pretty easy to see the line in the sand.

Quality vs. quantity.

I publically apologize to dohc32 if a previous post addressed to him suggested that quality is an attribute that can only be appreciated by the affluent. I wanted to suggest just the opposite. Frankly, I am impressed everytime I see a young person driving a nice, clean Honda Civic. For the same money, they could have gotten something flashier by Ford or GM that I am sure would "blow the doors off" the Civic. And in five years, they will have twice the residual value for overlooking this infantile urge. Who would you want dating your daughter or working for your company?

Jimxo has it right, Ford Quality is not "Job 1". And it pisses me off that they have the balls to advertise that slogan. Just deliver a product that doesn't rattle when new and fall completely apart in half the time of the Japanese and European competition. They simply can't or choose not to do it.

I am damn proud to be an American. I am damn dissapointed that the auto industry in this country is second rate when it comes to quality.
    Let me know the next time you see an old RX-7, Supra or 300ZX. (or for that matter an old SL-230, SL-250 or even an SL-450 or BMW 2002) I'm serious, they use to be all over the place in Southern California. It's almost as if the earth opened up and swallowed them. I might see one, once a week. Does this suggest something to you ? I see 5 and 10 year old Mustangs daily. (There are loads of 60's, 70's and 80's Mustangs on the streets in Southern California) Having been a Mustang owner of one varity or another for almost 40 years, I certainly have no serious complaints about quality. My only complaint is having to work them over, to stay up with the GM Muscle Car offerings. GM was always a little bit stronger on the muscle than Ford, except in the mid to late 80's. I think durability speaks for it's self.

>>>>Who would you want dating your daughter or working for your company?<<<<<

I guess if I was looking for a Bookkeeper or an Aministrative Assistant, the Civic minded individual might do. But if I was looking for someone who had fire in his belly, ready to think outside of the box and a self starter, I certainly would be more inclined to hire the youngster with the modified Muscle machine. I suspect my daughter, if I had one, would go after the Muscle man in a heart beat ~ LOL. Be interesting to take a pole to find out how many Marines bought Honda Civic's verse Mustangs & Camaros ~ LOL. You a betting man ? Remember you brought the subject up <Grin>.
    >>>>>What car would you bet on for seeing 100k? 200k?. I still love the Viper GTS but driveablity and daily performance goes to the NSX. <<<<<

Enjoy your NSX and keep us posted on it's performance. I don't know anyone who owns one and would be interested to know about your experience. I'm leaning toward a 2003 Viper, when the new model is released. (500Hp/500FtLbs of torque)
    >>>>Let me know the next time you see an old RX-7, Supra or 300ZX. (or for that matter an old SL-230, SL-250 or even an SL-450 or BMW 2002) I'm serious, they use to be all over the place in Southern California. It's almost as if the earth opened up and swallowed them. I might see one, once a week. Does this suggest something to you ? I see 5 and 10 year old Mustangs daily.<<<<

Well ford also sold more mustangs than the total combined amount of RX7's, Supra's, and 300z's. That said, I see more 5 to 10 year old Honda civics daily than I do Mustangs. That should tell you something, considering there were also less Civics made(a lot closer to the Mustang production than the Z's, RX7's, Supra's though). The reason they are disapearing is not because of bad reliability. It's their relatively affordable resale value these days. Anyone(inexperienced) can get them, and as a result they're ending up in junk yards.

Let me ask you this dohc32v, would you buy a new Z?
    >>>>>Let me ask you this dohc32v, would you buy a new Z? <<<<<<

Well I'm very Nationalistic about my auto selections, but I suppose if the 350Z came out with a 400hp + mill and it had a V-8, I would have to give it some serious consideration (if the price were below $50K). Biggest thing in my eyes is the V-8. I have never warmed up to a V-6 or a six of any kind for that matter. That is why IMHO, the NSX has been a fizzle in the market place. I love the rumble, throb and thrust of a V-8. If the NSX had a screaming high reving powerful V-8 in it, and sold for under $100K, it would be a marketing knock out punch for Porche, Mercedes, Ferrai, Viper, you name it. The Z is going to encountered the same market reception of resistance by guys that have been born, raised and always driven V-8's. That IMO is what killed the RX-7's, Supras, Z's and Mitsubishi's, and of course along with an astronomical price tag. V-6's suck canal juice, God intended for all good engines to be V-8's ~ LOL.
    Well it is coming as a V6, with around 280hp(maybe a little more). So it doesn't look like you'd buy one. Likewise there are many people who wouldn't buy a Mustang. They don't want the rumble of the V8. They want a smooth, refined, good handling, reliable, etc car. So like we've been saying all this time these are two completely different kinds of cars, appealing to different people. You wouldn't buy a Z, and I wouldn't buy a Mustang. I'm not saying there will be absolutely no cross shopping between them, but not enough that you could say the Z will fail because a car like the Mustang exists. Not everyone wants a Mustang.
    > The Z is going to encountered [sic] the same market reception of resistance by guys that have been born, raised and always driven V-8's.

So what? There's plenty of people younger than you with the means to buy nice cars.

> Well I'm very Nationalistic about my auto selections...

Really? What with all your "rice cooker" comments, we hadn't noticed.

> Be interesting to take a pole [sic] to find out how many Marines bought Honda Civic's verse [sic] Mustangs & Camaros

What does this have to do with anything? Because Marines protect America, we should buy Mustangs? Because Marines are tough, we should buy Camaros? Should we only buy cars from dealers with Lee Greenwood belting out "God Bless the USA" on the P.A.?

> Biggest thing in my eyes is the V-8

Then why do you keep posting to this group, when you know darn well the 350Z has a six?
    >>>>>Then why do you keep posting to this group, when you know darn well the 350Z has a six? <<<<<

Just to get a rise out of you ~ LOL.Take your blood pressure medication <Grin>. Happy New Year to you and others, let us all hope 2002 is a better year than 2001 has been.
    happy new year to you, too
  • roadrunnernsxroadrunnernsx Member Posts: 6
    I did'nt like the new Viper design. The performance and safety should be better though. And yes, I will eagerly await to see if Honda releases the new 2004-5 NSX with the rumoured 8cyl. V-tech design with 400ish ponies. I also hope for the reduced price that will bring it into mass production and direct competition with the Vette,Viper and other coupes. The return of the Japanese into the sports car market will only create better opportunities for all to own a great car of their liking with higher quality and better pricing. Competition is Good!! Enjoy your Stang and if you ever make it to FL look me up!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    dohc32,

With all of your time, energy, and love affair with Ford, why don't you convince them to get their act together with respect to product quality?

Check out the attached for the latest on how they have managed to further screw up Jaguar.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/48463/article.html

P.S. Roadrunnernsx: Be proud that your NSX isn't (and hopefully never will be) trying to compete with the Viper and Corvette. It is Acura's limited production alternative to a Ferrari, M-class, AMG or Porsche 911. If Acura decides to compete with the Corvette, they will need a lot of work on incorporating "rattles" into their designs.
  • cyber_xcyber_x Member Posts: 37
    Not sure if anyone's posted this already, or if anyone still cares, but just FYI, here's a brief Sport Compact Car article about the upcoming 350Z:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/archives/features/feature01_0202.jsp

...not one word about the Mustang ;-)
    Unfortunately, I recall reading in one of the automobile journels that Honda had cancelled their plans of incorporating a V-8 in the upcoming new NSX. The article did not elborate on the reasons why. I just think the NSX would be a dynamite competitor for the Ferrari 360, if it had a stout hearted V-8 in it. The NSX would certainly would outclass anything Porche or Mercedes had to offer, other than maybe a Porche 911 Turbo. (Last time I talked with the local Porche Dealer, the waiting list for the Turbo was 18 months.) I would be happier if D/C had decided to use their new Hemi V-8 in the 2003 Viper, rather than the old V-10. It is unfortunate, but IMO that V-10 sounds like a UPS truck with a bad muffler. I guess I have a love affair going with the growl of a V-8, that turns into a banchi scream at about 6800 RPM. Only thing better than that, is a small bore V-12 Ferrari, at full tilt.
    The Skyline, not the 350Z, is the type of car I think you're hoping Nissan will build. You can check it out at the link below, choosing "R35 GT-R preview" under "What's New".

http://freshalloy.com/
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    Thanks for that link ligart!

Now I have a few good website references to all my favorite manufacturers!

Anyways, I found this pucture on another board. The Z car that you posted is quite ugly, but this one is beautiful. Hopefully the real production skyline will loook closer to this:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t19344.html
    Check out my User Profile for my experience w/ V8's ;-)
    I see you polished the Blue Oval and snapped the Bow Tie. Maybe we will get you back into the fold some day . I'd be afraid to put my V-8 resume down in my profile, you would think Henry and I were related ! It started with flat head V-8 60's and ran the gamut all the way up to 426 Hemi's. I have five cars now and they are all V-8's. I even get up in the morning and drink V-8 juice ~ . Have a good and safe one and enjoy that V-8, that lacks two cylinders. :-)
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Saw this posted on another board and thought you guys might be interested (if you can stop the Mustang vs. Z Car flame war for a second). This guy got the info from a brochure Nissan was handing out at the L.A. Auto Show.

***Trim 1: STANDARD MODEL (Base)

Suspension:
    -independent multi-link
    -stabilizer bars: front and rear
    -rear strut tower brace
    -Steering: engine speed sensitive rack and pinion

Brakes/Wheels/Tires:
    -power assisted 11.65" vented front/11.50" vented rear discs
    -4-wheel ABS w/ brake assist
    -Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)
    -17" x 7.8" 7-spoke alloys
    -P225/50WR17 (front) P235/50WR17 (rear) high performance compound

Interior:
    -6-way manual driver's seat
    -Automatic temp control (ATC)
    -160Watt 6 speaker AM/FM/CD (Not BOSE)
    -Sunglass storage
    -3-bay gauge cluster (oil pressure,voltmeter,trip computer)
    -Tilt steering column with integrated gauges
    -aluminum accents
    -Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
    -power windows, doors, mirrors

***Trim 2: "ENTHUSIASTS MODEL"
    (Includes Standard equipment mentioned plus...)
    -TCS
    -Viscous limited slip rear diff
    -cruise control
    -HID Xenon
    -Aluminum Pedals
    -Universal transceiver
    -dual illuminated visor vanities
    -auto dimming rear view mirror
    -Standard 6-speed MANUAL / optional 5-speed AUTO w/ manual shift

***Trim 3: "TOURING MODEL"
    -Bose audio 240Watt 6-disc in dash 7-speakers w/ sub
    -Leather seats
    - 4-way driver power seat / 2-way passenger power seat
    -Heated seats
    -Heated outside mirrors
    -TCS
    -limited slip
    -Cruise control
    -HID XENON
    -aluminum pedals
    -universal transceiver
    -dual lighted vanity
    -auto dimming mirror
    -Standard 6-speed MANUAL / optional 5-speed AUTO w/ manual shift

*** Trim 4: "PERFORMANCE MODEL"
    -Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
    -tire pressure monitor
    -18"x8.0" 6-spoke alloys
    P225/45WR18 (front) / P245/45WR18 (rear)
    -TCS
    -limited slip
    -cruise control
    -HID XENON
    -aluminum pedals
    -universal tranceiver
    -auto dimming mirror
    -dual lighted vanity
    -Standard 6-speed MANUAL "ONLY"

***Trim 5: "TRACK MODEL"
    -FRONT AND REAR SPOILERS
    -BREMBO Braking system (4-piston caliper with 12.75" vented front and 2 caliper 12.67" vented rear discs)
    -RAYS super light-weight 18"x8.0" 6-spoke forged-alloy
    -Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
    P225/45WR18 (front) / P245/45WR18 (rear)
    -TCS
    -limited slip
    -cruise control
    -HID XENON
    -aluminum pedals
    -universal tranceiver
    -auto dimming mirror
    -dual lighted vanity
    -Standard 6-speed MANUAL "ONLY"

OPTIONAL on all models:
    -Nissan NAV with GPS DVD-ROM 7" LCD (available only on performance , touring, track models)

***Available Colors:
    EXTERIOR:
    -pikes peak white
    -chrome silver (shown at show today)
    -silverstone (dark gray)
    -super black
    -daytona blue
    -brickyard (really really dark brown/maroon)
    -Redline (super red)
    -Le Mans Sunset (concept orange)
    INTERIOR:
    -Frost Leather (perforated)
    -Charcoal Leather (perforated)
    -Burnt Orange Leather (perforated)
    -Carbon Cloth

Final pricing will be announced January 8 at the Detroit Auto Show.
    Some nice options or packages there.
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    Thanks for the info. It sounds good. I think I'd go for the performance option.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Check it out here:

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pr_events/2002/detroit/350z/pricing.html

It is crazy! The Z starts at $26,269 with 280+ hp!

I hate to say it, but I think some of the Mustang comparisons may actually have some teeth. That is a much lower starting price than I expected. Usually when someone says 'under $30k' they usually mean $29,950.

280+ hp starting at $27k is very competitive. This car would have redefined "sports car" at this price range if it came out two years ago. It'll be interesting to see how well it does. How much does it weigh? I'm holding my breath because I've seen some other cars put out stellar numbers despite the HP ratings, lately. An Acura RSX-S routinely hits 60 in a shade over 6 seconds and pulls strongly at all speeds, from a tiny engine. The WRX has a slightly less tiny engine and puts out even better numbers. A part of me thinks I'd rather have an older but stronger 300ZX than the new 350Z. Too bad it's not convertible. Hmmmmm, options.
    And something about Nissan that really irks me (off topic):

http://www.ncchelp.org/index.htm

How is it stronger?
    Well it was a right hand drive model, straight from Japan, but it was also considered a production model, so it was representative of the breed. First impression, very positive, damn nice looking ride. They wouldn't open the back hatch or the hood, maybe things weren't all sorted out yet, I don't know. Representative advised the 350Z will be in Dealers Show rooms by August and a convertible will be put into production six months later and be avaiable about February 2003. He went on to say there are currently no plans for a Turbo model nor a 2+2 model. He didn't discount them, but merely indicated Nissan has their hands full now producing the various model options they will currently be offering.
    Overall, I was very impressed with the exterior design. The interior design, I was a little put off with the three round instrument pods hung on the steering column, otherwise the over all package was extremely nice. I still regret it is a V-6, but if it is priced in the mid 20's it will be a smashing market success IMO. It definately is an enthusiasts car and a sweet looking offering at that.
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    at that base price any gripes I have can be overlooked. I am as good as on the waiting list.
    I was about to call the dealer and ask about the wait list. But a topless Z would be even sweeter.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    First the new Altima, then the G35 and the 350Z, and then they temp the hell out of us with a monster Skyline GT-R (R35). Nissan is coming back with a vengance.

Can't wait!

Speed
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I'm baffled by that comment. The Z's powered by the award winnging bulletproof VQ engine. You really can't do much better, short of getting a BMW inline 6.

If this is a 4 v. 6 thing, forget it. There's no comparing a wheezing gerbil powered 4 to the amazing torque of a 6. Especially a Nissan 6. Yummy.
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    I love it! You can't understand why he loves V8's and hates 6s but it's OK for you to love 6s and dislike 4s.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Yeah, pretty funny. The irony didn't escape me either, :-)

Stephen
    ...He was a V8 fan. I assumed by the name he was a 4 banger person. You tend to see more honda-types extolling the virtues of 4 cylinder engines than people pushing for V8s in cars.

A V8 in a Z? Seems a tad heavy. Could work I guess.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    dohc 32... 32 valves.. most likely a V8.. that would have been a better assumption :)

Yeah.. I can see the Z with four cylinder now.. it would be called the 240 SX :)
    Is a darn nice car with the turbos Nissan tacks on in Japan. If they had a 250 HP 240/Silvia here, it'd probably be popular too. But alas they only released the basic 4 version.
    but they priced that car way too high for a four cylinder as well... even though it was in the same price range as the other sporty coupes.... weird... it was a nice car before Nissan messed it up in the last iteration here.
  • 68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    Nissan has always said that their performace target for the new Z is the Boxster S. What they didn't say was that they were going to do it for half the price! At $26,269, it is exactly half the price of a stripped Boxster S (which only has 250HP). So the marketing message is: "More performace, more horsepower, but for half the price". I'm sold.

At this price, every man, woman, and child (of legal driving age) in the developed world will own one! Wow, Nissan wasn't bluffing!!
    I'll believe it when I see it. Nissan had a tough time keeping prices down for the prices sports coupes. It would be great if they can price it low though. I doubt that everyone would want this car even if it is in the low 20s. I'd rather get a RX-8 for the same price... who knows!
  • qin2qin2 Member Posts: 26
    "I'll believe it when I see it".

Well then go to Nissan's website and 'see it'.
    do you understand? I am talking about actual price... PRICE... get it? when they produce it then they can finalize the PRICE.... get it ????
    I think he meant you can go to Nissan's website and see the price.

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pr_events/2002/detroit/350z/pricing.html
    So you're claiming Nissan will suddenly bump up the price by a few grand before production starts? Talk about a marketing snafu that would make the Miata HP and Mustang HP lies look tiny in comparison.