Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know when the 2007 350Z will make it to the dealerships? It's more than half way into the first month of the new year, and there's still no information about the '07 Z on Nissan's website!
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Well, at least Nissan updated their website to show information about the 2007 Z today.
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    I just noticed carmax nissan in baltimore has a whole slew of them in now, all priced at invoice. http://www.carmax.com/dyn/newcar/newcar.aspx

Has anyone driven this car yet to make comments about the added power of the new motor and any other changes?? I think the "power bulge" hood looks a little goofy but I've only seen it in pictures, and besides it is probably necessary for the twin air intake system.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    I just looked up one there real quick and it came back at $100 under invoice. Interesting that they would price them so aggressively right away. I guess they feel the minor changes aren't enough to drive sales up any from last year.

I can't confirm the invoice is accurate, however, since neither carsdirect nor edmunds has pricing for the '07s yet.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The invoice prices at least seem pretty close to what they were last year so it must be fairly accurate. I kinda wish I had waited now because the 07 updates are very appealing to me!! The only drawback is if you go on the nissannews site and look at the specs of the 07 model, the curb weight for the touring model is now up to 3400lbs! The original 03 model was "only" 3150lbs...
    yeah, this car really didn't need more weight. It needed to drop a few.

I thought it was always over 3300, though. But, according to edmunds and msnautos, the '03 Touring was 3247. You may be thinking of the base model, which was 3188.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xlilsp1keyxxlilsp1keyx Member Posts: 1
    hello, im looking into buying a 350z at the end of the year. So i guess it'll be a 2008 model. Does anyone know when these will be seen at the dealership?
    ya know, i could be wrong, but i seem to remember reading how the '07s didn't arrive till very very late in the year (like December) because they had a tough time getting rid of all the '06s.

• mrdennismrdennis Member Posts: 6
    i'm in iraq and it's july 07 i wanted a grand touring black on black but could only find a touring, so i brought it. had a friend pick it up in virginia, put it in storage for me until about nov. i'm look forward to driving it, but i cant seem to get the answer to one question. will the 350z do donuts, can you smoke the back tires. thank you
    you absolutely can smoke the back tires. I'm not sure, however, about doughnuts in stock form. Problem is I believe I've read that the VSA is not truly completely defeated by pushing the button to turn it off. I believe, however, there is a fuse you can pull to make it happen.

When I attended Z Day at Raceway Park in NJ, a gentleman with a twin-turbo 350z had installed a manual kill switch to disconnect the fuse and completely defeat the VSA.

Yes, as long as you got one of the models with limited slip (all models except base) you can do donuts as long as the tires are still intact! This is a great donut car, and it's easy to control the rear with the throttle. One trick is to put a little more air in the rear tires than the front. From my experience the stability control doesn't inhibit donuts if you turn it off.
    Hey thanks for answereing about the tire spinning. Like is said i will be leaving iraq in about 2 1/2 monts going back to hawaii, anybody here from hawaii
    i have'nt had a chance to see my Z yet so can anybody tell me are the paint jobs on the 2007 metal flaked, are any? i'm really concered about my black 2007 touring.
  • bren_444bren_444 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: Has anyone heard anything about there being a problem with the 2004 350Z Coupe's air bags NOT DEPLOYING??
    My brother was just in a serious car accident in his Nissan and none of the air bags deployed even after hitting 2 trees and totaling his car!~! Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated Thanks! :confuse:
    which way do you shift gear on an automactic with the shifting option? pull down to shift (low to high)or push up to shift (low to high) I bought a 2007 touring but I have'nt seen it. I'm thinking you can shift faster if you were tapping down instead of pushing up. Any feedback?
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Bren, wow, sorry to hear about your brother. Never mind the car, how is he?

Only thing I can think of is that perhaps he wasn't going very fast? Although seems to me if he hit two trees he must have been moving pretty quickly there.

I think you need to ask Nissan about that. Or have your lawyer do so, if your brother was injured because of the air bags not deploying.
  • sweetmotionsweetmotion Member Posts: 7
    I have my Z since Sept 2002, it took me a year to get use to the shafting, and the only problem I have is sometimes when I shaft down that I have to "bump" it serveral times to go to lower gear. Otherwise it is no faster shifting up or down.
  • boswell1boswell1 Member Posts: 4
    i am thinking about buying a new 2008 350Z, and have a question. thought this might be a good place to get some honest answers.

just wondering, what is the long term reliability of this car? i know i have peace of mind for the initial 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. but what about after that? is this car reliable after 50,000 miles? 100,000 miles? or does the engine/transmission fizzle out after around 75,000 miles or so?

i dont want to get stuck with headache after headache, and costly repair bills all the time that i really couldnt afford.

appreciate any comments.

Mike
    Loogootee, IN
    Probably not too many people have 50,000 or more miles on them yet. There may be a few here. I think long-term reliability should be on a par with other Nissan products, and comparable to the Infiniti G35. In other words, should be good.

However - just today I had my car in for service and they claimed the back tires need replacing, as they have less than 3/32" tread. I have barely over 11,000 miles on it!

What pisses me off is that when the car was sold there was a deal that came with the car that at 25,000 miles, they would replace the tires. The service manager said he absolutely wouldn't do that for me at 11,000. I made a fuss and finally he's giving me 10% off. Whoop-de-doo.

I used to be a big fan of this dealership. Right now, not so much.

Anyone else have Michelin Sport Pilots that needed replacing that early?
  • silverwolfesilverwolfe Member Posts: 1
    I recently leased an 08 Z and right now it has about 2700 mileage on it.

My question is, however, is that is it normal for the engine to smell like its burnt after taking the rpm to the rev limiter, say for instance during a quick race?

I'm kinda new to having a fun/performance car so i just need some replies on this one.
  • jlp68jlp68 Member Posts: 4
    Hey there, Just bought a 2005 w/27k mi for 18,5. Just about perfect condition. Ultra yellow metallic. But i'm not sure if it is "Track" edition as advertised. I look around and most track editions have 18" wheels, while mine has 17's and not sure if they are Brembo brakes. Is there a definitive way to find out? Vin #?

Thanks for any help.
    JP
    :)
    Well, the Brembos say so right on the caliper. And pretty much impossible to miss:

Does your car have the spoiler? That was standard on the Track, but optional on the Enthusiast.

The other deciding factor is stability control. Enthusiast did not come with that. That would be a switch on your dash .... I forget what the acronym is at the moment ... but traction control, which the enthusiast has, would just be something like "TCS," while the stability is 4 letters, I believe ... maybe someone else can tell you what those are.

I hope you didn't pay the extra money for a Track without knowing the truth.

Thanks for the info,

I am pretty sure now that its an Enthusiast. The brakes are not labeled, and it does have Traction Control, but not stability. and found the exact same trim level. Also, it is minus the spoiler. It would've been nice with the little extra, but I am definately happy with the level I have, and leaves a little room for future improvements..;) I still think I did get a very good deal for it. Thanks again.
    JP
    :shades:
  • jeep1999jeep1999 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, Guys: I had a couple questions for anyone out there that can help. I've been considering a sports car for a long time. I' actually had my mind set on a C5 Corvette for quite a while now. But lately I've seen some 305Z's on the road and took a liking to them. Are they pretty reliable overall? I would be looking for an '04 or '05 most likely. I don't want to spend a fortune.

Any opinions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Steve (Jeepster53@aol.com)
    Hey there, dont know if this message will be too late, but thought i'd add my opinion. I've had my 05' enthusiast for 2mos now, and LOVE it. It has 30k on it (2 of which I've put on myself). As for the reliability, Its been 2mos, with NO issues (except for damn premium gas price). It is also ultra-yellow, which has gotten MANY responses from people. I paid a little over 18k for mine, and have seen them up to 20-21k, in massachusetts area. Hope this helps you a little.

J
  • crossfireman3crossfireman3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am a college student looking into buying a used 350Z (03-05). Currently, I have a mustang but I'm ready for a change. If you would answer my questions below, I would greatly appreciate it.
    1. How much does it usually cost to fill up the gas tank at todays current gas prices--$4.00/ gallon?
    2. How many gallons of gas does the Z hold?
    3. Is it very expensive to take this car to the shop for maintenance, oil changes, etc? Since this is a foreign car, would the techs at Wal-Mart do an oil change or do you have to take it to a Nissan dealer?
    4. Are there really alot of blind spots? Are they easy to get used to?
    5. What are the Mpg's (hgwy/city)
    6. Is it a practical car for a college student who doesn't want to spend alot of money on a car (pmts and up keep)?

Any answer to these questions will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing your responses
    1 & 2 = 18-20 gallongs = $72-$80
    3. You'll go through alot of tires. You may want to use synthetic oil. So, yes.
    4. The blind spots never bothered me.
    5. I used to average 25 mpg on premium gas.
    6. No. I suggest something much cheaper with better mileage, cheaper parts, fewer speeding tickets, etc. Someone concerned about $$ should NEVER buy a sportscar.

• floridazgirlfloridazgirl Member Posts: 2
    I agree... if you can't afford it don't buy it. I LOVE the looks I get when driving my pearl white touring coupe. I CAN afford it and wouldnt trade it. So don't ask! And yes I DO speed at every opportunity. Especially when an sub par sporty wanna be lines up with me at a stoplight. They learn real quick. Z is the boss! And usually they hate it when they get beat by a girl. Most men would typically like to get beat by a girl, right?
  • floridazgirlfloridazgirl Member Posts: 2
    Guys? Sorry.....No I'm NOT... I'm just a girl. But I love my 2004 Z and my guy asks to drive it all the time but I wont let him. She's ALL mine. Very reliable and usually you can get a used one for 18k or so. I get ok mpg for a sports car. Unless some guy "challenges" me at a stoplight. Then mpgs can raise a little. But it is well worth the look of their face in the rearview mirror when you spank that [non-permissible content removed]!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    No shortage of spunk in your attitude, and that's a compliment.

Unfortunately, I can't be quite as complimentary about the 350Z. I'm old enough to have lusted after the original 240Z back in the 1970's. IMO, Nissan's so-called "reincarnation" of that 240Z spirit produced a bit of a "wannabe" sports car that weighs 300-600+ lbs more than my 1995 5-passenger Maxima SE and uses the same basic engine as found in everything from a Maxima to a Pathfinder. Yes, it goes pretty well in a straight line, but frankly was dissapointing in compasrison to the ultra crisp Honda S2000 in handling and overall driving dynamics when I was shopping back in 2002. I hope that at some point, Nissan does actulally find the blueprints for the old 240Z and produces something a little closer to its spirit. Or at least its curb weight.

But, back to your zesty attitude. PLEASE confirm that your 350Z at least has a proper 6-speed manual transmission. I got into a debate with my Nissan dealer when I took my Maxima in for service a couple of weeks ago. He claimed that Nissan dropped the manual transmission from the Maxima (labeled 4 door sports car) in favor of a rubber band CVT to appeal to a "broader" demographic (read that as "women") who don't know how to drive a stick. I made a point of having my wife take me back to the dealership driving our 911S 6-speed. And my 10 year old daughter was quick to point out that she learned to shift from 1-2 and 2-3 from the passenger seat of my S2000 when she was 5. It's a pretty sad commentary when slushbox automatic transmissions are offered in so-called "sports" cars or sedans due to some sexist attitude that women are stick challenged. If every one of the 3rd grade girls I coach basketball can learn to dribble with both hands, play zone defense and make a basket on a regulation 10 foot rim, they sure as hell have more than enough ability to drive a stick in a few years. And will hopefully tell a male car salesman where to go when he shows them an automatic transmission out of a sexist habit.
    You may be happy to know that the reports I have read state that the 370Z will be lighter than the 350Z.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    of the 370 Z make it look tighter in the rear than the current 350Z. Please tell me they're getting rid of the ridiculous Z bar in the back.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• dan148dan148 Member Posts: 8
    What is a good psi reading on the oil pressure gage? Several of the pictures of used 350z's show 30 psi. Seems low...thanks
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You may be happy to know that the reports I have read state that the 370Z will be lighter than the 350Z.

It looks like the amount of weight lost by the 370Z over the 350Z is the equivalent of a deck chair blowing off the Queen Mary. Nissan doesn't get it. They must not have anybody left alive that worked on the 240Z.
    Its kind of odd, but I'm still reading conflicting information on this. Out of 4 magazines, 2 are saying it lost less than 50 lbs and 2 are saying its more like a couple hundred lbs. That would put it near 3200, which wouldn't be too bad these days. But if the former are accurate ... yeah, I'm disappointed.

• accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    I am considering the purchase of a new Z and wondered can this car be driven in the winter/ areas with snow? perhaps with a good set of snow tires ? or would it be a lost cause ? any advice/help is appreciated...
  • PkP1949PkP1949 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also considering buying a Z, but had a few questions.

Basic first, does anyone know of any problems with the '06s? I've seen a lot of talk about tire wear problems and alignment issues with '03-'05s. But not much about '06, so wondering if they worked out a lot of the kinks.

Second, the one I am looking at is an '06 Manual transmission Base model, with 30K miles on her, and they are asking $13K. Is this a deal I should not be passing up? Has a clear carfax report, but the only thing that concerned me was the driver's side door seems to have been repainted. If it isn't that noticeable should this be a major concern from a mechanical standpoint? Can't figure out why it is priced so low? Maybe this is why, or could sales just be that slow?

I am very conservative with my money and worried about getting a car that is overly expensive to operate. Am I an idiot not to take this deal?

Oh, and finally 350Zs only take Premium gas right? Can you use any octane, while performing best with premium, or does it strictly have to have premium?

Thanks.
  • _Fast_Eddie__Fast_Eddie_ Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm a new commer to the sight. I'm the owner/op of Cody Racing, and I have a customer that has an '08 350 Z. This car has a clutch failure with 9,100 mi. And I see that there are many of the same problems. I called my local dealership to see if I can get a warr. repair and I was blown off. That pisses me off. And the car and the staff's performance in responding to this matter should be an embarassment to the company. What a discrace. The public puts faith in such a company, and is let down. One more reason to buy American. Long live the Corvette.

If I get my hands around a solution I'll post it, until then, tough-it-out.

Recieving quest/comm CodyRacingHotMail.Com
  • _Fast_Eddie__Fast_Eddie_ Member Posts: 2
    Cody from Cody Racing giving a little insight on the 350 Z to everyone. Read through the T.S.B.'s (tech serv bul.) to see the kind and amount of failures that this supposed premier car has going. Then call your local dealership and ask them what is being done on a T.S.B. of concern to you. Yea, bam. Brick wall support. Good luck. But if I get anywhere with the clutch problem I'll be sure to post.

Taking comm/quest CodyRacingHotMail.Com
  • denebjdenebj Member Posts: 16
    Hey guys :)

I have a question, yesterday I test drove a 350Z 2008 touring, it had 30 miles on it and the service light was on !!! The salesman told me that it was the fuel tank light (the gas tank was empty) but I have my doubt !! (I did not specify her that it was the service light, I just said that I saw a light near the fuel gauge).

Is it normal ? I mean service light on on a brand new Z ? ...

Thanks guys
  • nytsydznytsydz Member Posts: 1
    I see you want a Z, but are unsure of the reliability. Well...I have an 06 Zed and I have had the motor replaced and the tranny replaced. There is a known oil consumption problem with many of the VQ35DE motors ranging from 05-06 throughout Nissans vehicles. Mostly in the 350Z, Altima, and Infinity G35. My Zed was burning 1.5qts of oil per 1k miles. I don't drive hard and commute 160miles a day all freeway no traffic at times I work. The Tranny problem is also known as many report having problems shifting into/out of 3rd gear, but my problem was a high pitched supercharger like whine in the tranny. Fortunately this happened at 29k as I bought mine with 21k. There are many quirks with the Z that you can read through other forums, but ultimately the decision is yours since many cars have their problems. It is a nice car to have fun in, but I wouldn't suggest it for heavy driving. If you choose the 06, check the oil level at purchase. drive it somewhat hard and after 1k miles look at the oil level. If it has dropped more than the Technical service bulletin recommends, have the motor replaced. Also you can purchase an Extended Warranty through a Nissan Dealership for under 2k giving you 5yrs 100kmls from in service date. That means from the date the vehicle was originally sold as new. Hope this helps. BTW the invoice for a new motor was over 7k, but was covered by factory warranty. 3yr/36k bumper, 5yr/60k drive-train. Tranny also covered by warranty. Also 13k is substantially low for an 06 350Z. Dealer will buy mine for mine 15k if I buy another car and price range for sale from most dealers should be around 19-21k because of the low miles. Be careful about that. As far as Fast Eddies reply seems someone was super hard on the clutch. Mine was also showing signs of excessive wear when they opened it up and they said it was due to hard driving or riding the clutch. Neither of witch I do so I can only attribute this to the original owner.
    Is anyone buying new Z's these days? These forums haven't shown much activity lately.

I'm still enjoying my roadster. Just passed the 3 year anniversary of owning it. I don't drive it much in the winter, so the car has really low mileage on it. Now that it's spring and the weather is calling out for a convertible, I'm enjoying the long drives again.
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    I've been thinking about selling my 1999 Jeep GC now for a while. I've searched Edmunds site for the value of my Jeep plus Kelly Blue Book and others. I was hoping someone out there could help me out further. What do you guys think is a fair price to ask ? Overall, I would say the Jeep is in pretty good condition. It has 94,000 miles on it. There is very little rust, if any. The interior looks like new. The only problem is it probably could use some reconditioning by a professional. I was thinking about asking around $4,000 to $4,500. Do you think that's a fair price given the basic information I've given?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Steve (NJ)
    You might want to post in a Jeep forum instead of a Nissan 350Z forum to get an answer to that.
  • shomskyshomsky Member Posts: 5
    I bought a new 2005 350z that has required me to purchase new tires (and alignment) every year, due to the Feathering. My tires become bald, I lose tire pressure constantly. . .in other words it's been a pain in the butt car. The dealership won't do anything, Nissan refused to admit there was any engineering issues with 2005, said that the 2003-2004 years had the TSB fix, and the 2005 had no issues. I hate this car, and it is extremely unsafe. I will not drive it anymore. I called Nissan after the replacement of tires 3 times (required by Lemmon Law) to give them one more chance to do the right thing, I will post after I speak with the Consumer Affairs Specialist tomorrow. If they still refuse, I will be getting a Lawyer. I'll let you all know.

I would talk anyone out of purchasing a Z, or a Nissan in general. Bad Car, bad customer service
    I'll be interested in hearing what happens with that. I have had to replace front tires once so far, at about 15,000 miles. That's ridiculous.

The Nissan dealer even gave me a "special offer" when I bought the car, that I would get a "free" set of tires at 25,000 miles if I did all service at his place.

Well, his place quit selling Nissans; the outfit that took over Nissan sales from him had the same service manager (nice guy, owns a Z himself), but when my front tires went bad at 15k, there was nothing he could do for me but give me a 10% discount on the cost of the new tires.

Next time I replace I will get different tires entirely, rather than the high-performance wonders that just don't last. I drive like a normal person, not a race car driver, so these expensive tires are not worth it to me.

I only drive the Z in summer anyway, don't put all that many miles on it, so for me, it's my fun car, not my daily driver. I don't plan to get rid of it or anything drastic like that, because I really do love it in the summer, but we are looking to replace our other car (Maxima) with something other than Nissan, probably.
    Sorry to hear about your plight.

I have had my 05' for almost 2yrs now, and have not had one issue with the tires feathering, though I have heard about it on other years. I am in Mass, and actually have had blizzaks on for 6mos now. The original tires didnt have any excessive wear, and these blizzaks have great tread.

Good luck,
    JP
  • shomskyshomsky Member Posts: 5
    Well, I got a call from the Nissan Consumer Affairs Specialist, and she claims the paperwork required us to take the Z into a body shop to fix the camber?? There was no discussion of that. And another question would be WHY would I have to take the car to a body shop? I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that the camber cannot be adjusted on the 2005 350Z. Smells like an engineering defect to me?? Anyone else?
    So I will be calling a lawyer under the Lemmon Law. Anyone out there with a 2005 having Tire wearing issues?
  • sandyb3sandyb3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 350Z Roadster GT convertible with silverstone finish and Orange leather seats with mesh ventilation.

Does any one know if I can find out how many 06 350Z's were built with this appearance package?

Also the black leather drivers door interior handle is showing signs of wear in the finish. Is there a fix or leather polish that will restore it's appearance.
  • car_lovecar_love Member Posts: 27
    36k miles on first set of tires, yes the tread is getting thin compared to brand new but no issues thus far, I drive it like an old lady though.