Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    What remains to be seen is the integrity of the Nissan dealer network re: gouging.
  • I believe the dealers are going to be the weakest link.
  • The price is set, they're already taking orders.
    Price gouging may occure at some dealerships in the first months. However, this isn't a very limited production car like most models that get gouged. They're going to make something like 5000 cars a month(maybe it was 10,000 can't remember exactly).
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    I don't consider dealer mark-ups to be an integrity issue, merely capitalism doing its thing. I'm tempted to stop by my local Nissan dealer to see how they are handling this.
  • I believe the capitolism thing too, but my problem with it is a personal problem.

If Nissan says this car is worth 27,000 dollars, I am not going to pay more than that. I will pay that amount or less than that amount, but I am not going to pay more than the manufacturer thinks it is worth. I don't buy cars based on hype. That would be like paying 100 bucks to see a movie first. I wouldn't do it. Some may do it, but I wont, because I can see it later for less money, and still get the same experience. The only thing to show for your extra money is braggine rights: that way you can say" I saw/drove it first.
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    I agree absolutely. I would never pay more than MSRP either but if the dealers can soak the people who feel the need to be special for the few months that they have something new and different, I see no reason to blame the dealer.
    Frankly, this car sounds too good to be true and I tend to be very cautious with things that seem too good to be true. And even though Nissan has a pretty good record, I'd want to wait a year or two in case there are bugs to work out.
    Finally, I'm disappointed that they don't have a version without all the gadgets but with the performance improvements. I was assuming that's what the "Track" version would be. I mean really, climate control in the track version.
  • 68bullitt68bullitt Posts: 177
    And why is it that you have to get the high-priced Touring model just to get leather? Why can't we just get leather as a separate option without all that other stuff that the touring model comes with? I mean I'd be willing to pay up to $1,000 over the base car's price just for the leather seats and nothing else. BTW, I think the orange leather seats in most of the production model pictures look awesome!
    As someone forced to step down from the S2000 down to the Prelude solely because of dealer gauging (at the time) it's a bit of a sore subject. Hopefully as someone else said, this will be a relatively high volume car.

I will be skeptical of the Nissan dealer network though. I've been to one just once, and it was the worst dealer I've ever been to. I spoke with two different salesmen and both combined to push me out of the dealership without even looking at a car. More arrogant than the BMW guys, more disheartening than the Honda guys, and more clueless than the Ford guys. Obviously that was just one particularly bad dealer, but I do hope the dealership experience is befitting of what will be a $30k++ car once you figure in taxes. One thing I strongly believe is that if the car hasn't earned the reputation yet, then it's up to the dealership to substitute in that area. I can put up with Honda salesguys because I can trust the product at this point (and to a degree I could brush off the awful BMW dealer experience because of the superior product) but Nissan doesn't have that reputation preceding the new 350Z, at least not yet.
  • ligartligart Posts: 109
    "Nissan doesn't have that reputation preceding the new 350Z"

1990 The 300ZXTT is named the Motor Trend "Import Car of the Year." Motor Trend also names it "One of the Top Ten Performance Cars." Automobile Magazine honors the 300ZX/300ZXTT as its "Design of the Year" and names the 300ZXTT to its "All Stars" list. Road & Track names the 300ZXTT "One of Ten Best Cars in the World." Car and Driver names the 300ZXTT "One of the Ten Best Cars."

American Z-car sales reach the one million sales mark in the 1990 model year - making it the all-time best selling sports car.

1991 The 300ZX Twin Turbo is name to Car and Driver's "Ten Best" list, and is once again one of Automobile Magazine's "All-Stars."

1992 For the third straight year, Car and Driver names the 300ZX Twin Turbo one of its "Ten Best," and Automobile Magazine names it to its "All-Stars" list.

1993 For the fourth straight year, the 300ZX Twin Turbo is named a Car and Driver "Ten Best," and one of Automobile Magazine's "All-Stars."

1994 For the fifth straight year, the 300ZX Twin Turbo is named to the "Ten Best" and "All Stars" lists by Car and Driver and Automobile Magazine respectively.

1995 Marks the 25th Anniversary of the Z. It also brings another award from Car and Driver, as the publication names the 300ZX Twin Turbo to its "Ten Best" list for the sixth straight year.
  • ligartligart Posts: 109
    Enthusiast Model = Base +
    xenon headlamps
    homelink
    cruise control
    TCS
    limited slip differential
    aluminum pedals
    day/night rearview mirror
    lighted vanity mirrors

Performance Model = Enthusiast Model +
    VDC
    tire pressure monitor
    18" wheels

Touring Model = Performance Model +
    bose stereo
    leather seats
    power seats
    heated seats & mirrors

Track Model = Performance Model +
    front & rear spoilers
    18" lightweight wheels
    brembo brakes
    350Z != 300ZX, 280Z, 240Z

I've spent time in all of the older Zs and they are wonderful, but it's pretty clear that the 350Z is a completely different car. I'm definitely not buying it blind, and since I don't know how this new Z is (maybe it's stunning, maybe it's light, plastic, and full of rattles - we don't know from the press photos or the showroom model) other things like dealership impressions are definitely going to have a bearing on my attitude towards Nissan and their cars.
  • I am with sphinx99 when he says their is going to be "gouging".

C'mon, when the Altima debuted, they were getting $2,000 over MSRP. What do you think is going to happen to the Z? Doesn't take a lot of guesswork.

Now the Mini....don't even get me STARTED on how much over sticker they are going to get on that car! Sweet ride, that Cooper S!
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    What dealer network doesn't gouge on a hot new model? There will be gouging, but if you look around I'm sure you'll be able to find a dealer who will sell it at sticker.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    If you put your name on the waiting list of one of the BMW factory owned dealerships, they cannot charge you 1 cent over MSRP for a Mini. There are 4 BMW factory owned stores in the US. 2 are in NY (BMW of Manhattan & Westchester BMW). I don't know where the other 2 are.

The new Altima's are already in the "Screamer Ads" here in NY. I'm sure there will be dealer gouging on the new Z. Just keep your pants on and wait for it to cool down. My friend had 3 Nissans ('96 Pathfinder SE, '98 Pathfinder SE, & '00 Maxima SE). He swears by Nissans! The 3 cars he had had ZERO problems (he only had them for a short time w/ lots of miles). He loves Nissans, but HATES the dealerships! He traded in his '00 Maxima SE (5 speed) for an '02 Audi A4 3.0Q (6 Speed).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    I would try to avoid them even though this and some other future cars are so tempting to get right off the bat...
  • In San Diego always charges below MSRP. They even sold the Altima below MSRP right off the boat/truck. I'm confident if I wanted a Z, Mossy would be the place to buy one initially, though Pacific Nissan has better prices on older models.
  • about buying a first year model, but I really want a new car this fall. I figure that's what warranties are for anyway. Besides this may be a moot point if I can't find a dealer around here that will sell at MSRP or less.

Must say I do agree with the previous posters about gouging = capitalism. If you can get more money, why not?

I wonder if there are pictures of the car in each color, to make pre-ordering selection easy. Then again, since the Z isn't low volume it may be better just to wait a month or two anyway just to see it in person a few times. I also wonder what percentage of the cars will be base models.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    I agree that's what warranties are for, but it does get rather annoying ot have to wait for a service appointment and be without your car and deal with the dealership for stupid little QC first year defects.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

For the record, I never said that there's anything *wrong* with gouging, however it does factor into how much of a "deal" the 350Z is. $26k for a cloth-seated car of this caliber is outstanding. $30k for the same... not so outstanding.