Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lost? Ask the M&R Host for directions!

Comments

• mstauffermstauffer Member Posts: 3
    I had the right rear air bag replaced but still hear a popping noise in the right rear. Could it be the shock? Any suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Go to our "Advanced Search" feature and do a text search in the Maintenance and REpair Board using the keywords such as Lincoln, air supsension, etc.

You can also do a text search on ALL boards but this may take some time. Or you can go to each board one by one and do a text search using the Advanced Search feature.

I know this subject has come up before and solutions offered, but I can't place the exact area. So do some searching and if nothing comes up let me know please and I'll help you further.

MrShiftright
    Host
  • coachandersoncoachanderson Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a used SUV and I am considering the LC or LX450, but have noticed many with over 150,000 miles, is this too many?

All of them have been claimed to have been well maintained.

How many miles should I expect either to go?

What about timing chain, drive train, etc.?

Thanks

CA
    I think what you have to keep in mind is that at 150,000 miles, ANYTHING can cut loose at ANY time.

So a 150K mile car is a real crap shoot---might run another 75K, might drop the transmission tomorrow morning at 9 AM, one day after you buy it. You wanna buy a trans for an LX450? I sure don't.

I have purchased high mileage cars, but I always made it a point to pay WAY BELOW wholesale for them.

These types of cars are not scarce, so the ONLY reason to buy a high mileage example is to save lots of $$$. Buying high mileage and paying retail or even wholesale is very unsound financial reasoning IMO.

Proceed at your own risk. Basically, the engineers would place the figure of 150K as a satisfactory conclusion to the car's lifetime, as they designed it. Given that the average age of a car on the road today is roughly 10 years, and that most people put about 12K-15K miles a year on a car, I'd say the engineers prediction of 150K-225K for the life of a car is just about right. At 150K at least 3/4 of the car's life is gone, and it's the best 3/4s, too.
  • tictac2tictac2 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone know of a windshield washer fluid that is clear not blue? Or can you direct me where it would be best to ask? I have a white car and the fluid spatters on the hood and the top some. Not a big deal, but the blue really shows on the white.
    Why don't you check in the Zaino wax topic. Those guys would know something like that, I can just feel it.
  • conv72conv72 Member Posts: 1
    My problems are:
    Passengers side floor wet (soaked), trunk was also wet in one spot, and no heat or should I say no blower, then that started working later on in the day for my hubby?? any ideas anyone? I have read about the floor being wet, clean out the evaporator hose... any other ideas for the rest?
    My seal looks good on the trunk also. Thanks, everybody! conv72
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Ouch! You can talk to other owners in the Pontiac Grand Prix topic, or you can start a new topic on Grand Prix problems here on the Maintenance & Repair board. If you're really looking for answers on the blower problem, you might put "blower - works intermittently" in the subject line so people will know what you're asking about.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Marty684Marty684 Member Posts: 17
    On my '88 Toyota Supra Hatchback I've noticed some condensation forming within both back tail lights. I don't have any leaking in the trunk when I open the back hatch but if there has been heavy rain some drips into the trunk. Suggestions?
    New tail light lens gaskets should fix you up--or even tightening up the hold down screws for the tail light assembly might help.
  • rchinnrchinn Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2000 Camry, 27,000 miles, almost 3 years old. Go ahead and do that 30K tune-up NOW? Also last oil change was 4 months and 2500 miles ago -- can I wait a while for the next oil change?
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I created the topic (Collinite - Worlds best auto wax products) and it gets frozen by by kirstie_h HOST. She wants me to post under store bought waxes. This wax is not bought in stores, only mail order. Why can't I create my own topic. I dont want to be lumped together with those mass produced waxes that don't work. This is like having on board for all SUV's, they are all the same right, wrong.
    rchinn, you might post your question in an active topic like Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2, where others are more likely to see your post and respond about your oil issue, or the Toyota Camry topic. Shifty the Host may have an answer when he sees your question.

2k Impala - I did notice that your topic was not on a store-bought wax, but we already have a couple of topics on waxes and Zaino. This board really can't sustain a different topic for each brand -- the topic list gets too long too quickly, and it also spreads the good conversation too thinly over too many topics.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I wasn't sure where I should ask this question so I thought I would try here.

I have a 1990 Mercedes 500SL that the cruise control has started to do something funny.

I noticed that when I had the cruise set, it just lost power and wouldn't reset. After a few attempts, it worked but the "accelerate" feature wouldn't work correctly. Last night, it wouldn't work at all after a dozen tries but then it did. When I push the lever up to accelerate it would start climbing then just cut out (turn off).

So, my question is this, will it be an expensive repair or did something just come loose? The car has 45,000 miles and just had it's regular service.

Thanks for any info. Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    The original hatchback struts (lift supports) on my '88 Toyota Supra fail to keep the hatch in an upright position when it is cold outside. I'm having trouble finding replacements for them. I've check some major manufacturers' websites (e.g. Monroe, Strong Arm, Stabilus) as well as parts sites all to no avail. Any other ideas or tricks of the trade that I can use?
    Mark---post your cruise control question as a regular topic, something like "Mercedes Cruise Control Problem".

Marty: Do a Google search under "Toyota Parts" and see how that works. Also the dealer should have these, and I don't see why a good independent import auto parts store wouldn't have them. This type of strut doesn't always have to be Toyota specific. If you brought your old strut to the store with you, perhaps you can match something up size and width-wise.
    Thanks for the help Mr. Shiftright. After sending an email inquiry to the partsamerica.com website they provided me with lift supports manufactured by Motormite that will fit my '88 Toyota Supra.
  • stickershockstickershock Member Posts: 5
    I bought a used 1999 Miata with only 14,500 miles on it last week. I have refueled twice so far, and both times with MPG much less than what I have expected. The first refuel (about 90% highway driving) i got 19.5mpg, the second refuel (mostly city driving) i got 19mpg. Most Miatas get about 24/29 mpg. Here are the facts and data that might help you diagnose my low mpg problem:

1. It's a manual transmission, but I shift at around 3000 rpm and drive with a light foot.
    2. A/C is always off when I drive.
    3. Tires are properly inflated.
    4. My driving habits are "normal", i.e. I don't race.
    5. Finally, the reason why I think I am getting such poor fuel mileage is because my Miata is modified with a Jackson Racing supercharger and a high-flow fuel pump. Even so, I drive with a very light foot and I was told that the supercharger does not engage unless I depress the gas pedal all the way and if the rpm is really high. But still, i think 19mpg is very poor for such a light weight car.

Is my mpg number normal? Should I worry?
    I have have an orange colored warning light that has been on constantly for the last few days. This light is supposed to indicate a burned out tail light but all of my lights front and rear, side markers, headlights , brake lights and turn signals are functioning properly. What can be causing this and how do I remedy it?
    stickershock---you can't get higher performance without a trade-off on fuel economy. That's just the laws of physics. Probably I'd guess that your system requires modified injectors or a modified engine mapping program that might lay in a richer mixture to keep engine temperatures down and to meet the demands of the supercharger.

Also, two fill-ups isn't enough to record accurate fuel mileage. You need to be filling up on level ground, preferably at the same pump, with the same brand and grade of gas, for at least a month's worth of gas.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Check the centre high mounted brake light.
  • 3girlsmom3girlsmom Member Posts: 5
    I have searched high and low to find some sort of information on things to do and not do when breaking in your new vehicle. I know the manufacturer gives some info. in the manual but would like to read more from a broader standpoint. We have purchased (but have not yet received) a 2004 Toyota Sienna and want to do everything right from the start to avoid/minimize potential problems. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Alcan: Thanks for the suggestion but the center high mounted brake light is also working.
    3girls---the info in the owner's manual regarding break-in should be all you need to know. There really aren't any "secrets". You follow the factory's advice regarding service intervals, varying your speeds and avoiding extreme loads and that's about it. It should all be spelled out for you in the manual. They built it, they know.
  • 3girlsmom3girlsmom Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, Mr. Shiftright. Someone told me to never use cruise control on a brand new vehicle for the first 2000-3000 miles to reduce the chance of tranny problems. Have never heard of this and thought I would check to see if this was true or not. Is that what you mean by varying your speeds? I will check the manual when I get the car, of course, just checking out any other info. Thanks again for responding.
  • bummprbummpr Member Posts: 1
    ES300 2002 Transmission Problems - READ ONLY

Why is this thread closed...this problem is still outstanding and has not been resolved.

There are still many owners who are trying to pry Lexus off it's past laurels and getting them to fix this problem.
    It's archived automatically by the software for lack of use, I think after 30 days of no posts. There haven't been any posts since April 28th, so it's pretty dead. We do this so as not to clutter up the topic list with inactive items.

Maybe people went to the 2003 transmission problem topic.

MrShiftright
    Host
  • mbrombro Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know a good mechanic in the San Carlos, CA area? I could sure use one for a Ford Explorer and I don't trust any of the dealers.
    I always recommend just asking owners of cars similar to yours, especially when you see a nice identical car to yours.

Other good guidelines are businesses that have been around for a long time and that are family owned rather than franchises.
  • virgiesmomvirgiesmom Member Posts: 59
    I would like to remove the multitude of warning labels located on the visors, however, they don't seem to just peel off, has someone had success in removing them?
    This has been asked before but I cannot find an answer in any of the boards. Thanks Virgie
    Ah, well, I've heard various solutions and I'll tell them to you, but please be sure to do a TEST on some invisible part of the visor to make sure none of these things discolor the fabric or damage it.

Here's what I've heard and pass on without recommendation:

hair dryer on low heat
    "goof-off" solvent
    WD-40 of all things

So proceed with caution and let us know!
  • bongotoobongotoo Member Posts: 10
    My a/c works 75% of the time when the outside temp. reads 79 degrees or below on my in-car thermometer. When the temp reads above 80 degrees, the a/c works from none to maybe 40% of the time. It acts like the refrigerant is low. I had it checked and it was full. I haven't done anything else yet. I want to know if it's possible the problem could have something to do with the electronic components reading the outside temp and them screwing up the a/c air temperature. Is this a possibility? I just want to avoid getting milked out of all my money while they guess at the problem and repair everything until they eventually solve the issue.
    I think first off you have to read the temperature at the a/c duct itself. This gives you a quantitative reading rather than "it feels like" this or that temperature.

Also, I don't believe your a/c is reading outside temperature at all. Techs please cover me on this one.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I just got off the phone with my local bio-diesel distributor and would like to post in the "Ok, I'm switching to bio-diesel" thread. How can I reopen it?
    Done!
    It's here: Okay, I'm switching to BioDiesel!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Thank you very much!!! :)
  • surfgebsurfgeb Member Posts: 24
    This issue doesn't seem to have been discussed for over a year but I don't know if it's a serious recurring problem or not. My 2001 9-5 emits a bluish/white cloud of smoke whenever it starts (not just first cold start in the morning). Other than the smoke, it has no other issues.

Should I be concerned?
    Well it's not the end of the world but if the smoke is a definite BLUE and you're sure of that, then that is OIL burning. So question is, from where. Most likely candidates are valve stem seals, worn valve guides or turbo problems. None of these are emergencies and the valve stem seals might not be too expensive a fix.
  • ricorico Member Posts: 1
    I recently had my "99 Olds with 60K+ miles diagnosed with a hole in the intake manifold. As I have read other posts it appears this has happened to others with 3.8L engines. I would like to hear from anyone with this problem to determine if it is common & might justify contacting GM. I was told that they admitted a problem prior to '99 & "have corrected the problem"
    Hi rico,

You might search our topic list first off, for this discussion, then also try the "search" feature or advanced Search feature to the left of this page---key words might be 3.8L or 3.8Liter and also Keywords on Pontiac might show something.

I know it's been discusssed quite a bit.
  • sna2n1sna2n1 Member Posts: 1
    Can you reactivate the "Anyone having air conditioning problems for a 2002 TrailBlazer? - READ ONLY " forum? I have the fix from my dealer. It is a defective low pressure switch and there is a TSB out there to replace it (tsb 02-01-39-005 SEP 02 A/C - Inoperative/Poor Performance). Thanks.
    Done!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• tundraguy1tundraguy1 Member Posts: 4
    Please, since I just bought this car, and it makes the noise that its described in your discussion board. Thank you
  • tundraguy1tundraguy1 Member Posts: 4
    I have the very same problem wiht my 2003 Accord EX built in Japan, I also noted that my car purchased on Sept/2003 was built in Oct/2002

I bought it new, waiting for your response or other people with the same situation.

Mine has just 2200 miles.
    I reactivated it and put "Honda Accord" in the discussion title - good luck!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• shelly64shelly64 Member Posts: 2
    nissan recently came out with a front grill guard for the murano. I think people would want to know about it.
    Hi shelly64 - I think you're right! The best place(s) to post the information is in the active Nissan Murano discussion, where most owners hang out.

You can also check out the Aftermarket & Accessories board, which might be a good place to post the information. Thanks, and welcome to Town Hall!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• corpuscorpus Member Posts: 37
    My driver door is squeaking more and more, and seems to have settled a little. I hate to go to a body shop, but I'm at a loss to figure out how to re-hang the door. Is the hinge welded on? Will I have to cut it off to re-hang the door? I only have 120,000 miles on it, but a lot of off road bouncing around (compared to the average suburban owner).
  • misssam55misssam55 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am currently babysitting a 1955 T-Bird while my brother is overseas (see my post in the Coupes/Convertibles, etc.). Is there a collector car board for questions and info? Thanks!!
    Hi Misssam!

No, we no longer host a "Classics" board on Edmunds but if you did a Google search I'm sure you could find a T-Bird forum!

best

MrShiftright
    Host
This discussion has been closed.