Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lost? Ask the M&R Host for directions!

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    kw_carman, thanks for the comment. Maybe we'll phase one of them out.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• malachy72malachy72 Member Posts: 325
    I've been reading posts about slightly raising inflation in tires for summer driving (maybe 3 p.s.i. in each tire). Any thoughts?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think I would do this without checking tire pressure first. Probably this suggestion to inflate tires slightly in summer comes from the fact that quite a few tire failures (shredding, blowouts, etc.) are caused by underinflation of tires, which builds up heat. So naturally, an underinflated tire in summer is more dangerous than in winter. But if your tires are already at proper inflation, I don't think I'd overinflate them, as this might give you too harsh a ride. No harm in experimenting a little, though.
  • nwong2aznwong2az Member Posts: 1
    I havea 1993 ford taurus 98K, over the past few months, the engine warning light come on and off while driving esp during the first 5-10 min , it usually lasts 30secto 1min at most and goes away spontaneously( while i keep driving ) . Should i be concerning about this to the point that need mechanic attention? I may not keep this car for much longer .
    Please advise of what could be causing this .
    nwong--post this question in our "Check Engine Light" topic or in the "Taurus Problems" discussion.

Host
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Where did my bookmarks go?
    sweetpolly--- I have no idea but maybe one of the other hosts would. Try posting this questoin in the "Talk to the Hosts" topic in the News & Views Board, okay?

Mrshiftright
  • cressidadrivercressidadriver Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can find online advice for repair of my A/C on my 1986 Cressida sedan?
    UZ GE motor...I think. Lemme run out to the garage real quick...

I have no leaks, and replaced the circuit breaker, but before proceeding I wanted to check and see if there is a common Cressida A/C problem I don't know about...

Thanks!
  • kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    Is it me, or is it that a flutter of "newbies" has descended on the M&R Board, opening ridiculous discussions without first reading?

When someone registers to Town HAll, they need to have a required "course" called, "What You MUST Know About Town Hall."
    cressidadriver, I'll let mr_shiftright address your question as he's much more knowledgeable.

kw_carman, having more newbies is a good thing! It's just important that we hosts and veteran contributors direct them, whenever possible, to an existing topic where they're more likely to get an answer, or where the answer might already be posted. I'm sure we get a lot of folks visiting this site who just happen to have an automotive question, but aren't generally the "forum type," so we gotta help them along.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

hi cressidadriver--

I think you should post the details of your problem in our "Air Conditioner Problem" topic which you will find by scanning the topic list on this board.

I don't think you should attempt to solve the problem as if it were only related to 1986 Cressidas, as this is an old, and also not a very common car, and there would be little technical info online about it. Best to approach is as an A/C problem, and maybe some of our generous visitors who are also techs would give you pointers. But first you have to detail your problem.

Also, you can often find good info at your public library, as they often will keep older Chilton or Haynes manuals. You might also do a Google.com search for Cressida a/c problems but it's a long shot.

But start at the best place, the A/C Problem topic.

MrShiftright
    Host
    I guess you're right, so I'll "put on a happy face."
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I came into this topic to complain about exactly what you note in message #45:

"we have two topics on the Honda Accord. Honda Accord Problems, and Honda Accord Quality Control issues."

Why are there two? I've read them for a long time and the issues are the same in each. How about consolidating into one. This would save me time reading them.

Thanking you in advance....
    Probably what happened is that nobody knew they would be the same topic when they started, as they are, if you think about it, somewhat different subjects. But people obviously interpreted "quality control" as synonymous with mechanical breakdowns as opposed to what I was thinking of as "initial fit and finish issues".

So we could change the title of the one topic or just close one down. If anyone here is actually a participant and has some comments before the Hosts act, that would be good.
    ...needs some help. He has opened up two discussions on the Wrangler's transmission (one is spelled incorrectly) after Shiftright told him to take it to Transmission Traumas when he started a discussion on it a few days ago.

Not to be rude, but I don't think he will take NO for an answer.
    We'll help him out some more then!
  • caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    My question is about my profile. It seems I no longer have the "what ive been saying" on it since the big switch. Is this no longer an option?
    -thanks.
    This is a known current tech bug. They're working on it. To report problems and see what's being done about them, you can always check in News & Views, Our Software topic.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    Ok thanks.
  • gwm2gwm2 Member Posts: 6
    I own a '97 Chev. Malibu LS and need to find answers or comments that have been posted for recurring "ABS" & "anti-theft" warning lights. How can I find these posts without reading them all? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    Unfortunately, the current search feature won't narrow it down quite that far for you. If you want to check with other Malibu owners, you can post your question in the Chevy Malibu topic. Otherwise, you're best to just scan the list of Maintenance & Repair topics and post a new question in the topic that seems the best fit. We have some very general topics, like Electronic Gremlins & Transmission Traumas that are designed to be "catch all" topics.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• paharganj1paharganj1 Member Posts: 3
    I searched around and found 3 mails on Camry stalling, specially after rain. That seems to be the problem with my 87 Camry as well. I didn't see any resolution and am unable to respond to the old message. Is there a way I can send mail to the people who posted this in the first place to find out how they fixed it - Thanks
    Their user IDs should appear in blue at the top of the post and you can click on that. It should open up a box to e-mail them.

MrShiftright
    Host
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    I have been searching your site and the web for some definitive info on the differences of gasoline. My Honda dealer has told me to stay away from the leading cheaper brand because it has too much sulfur and it will screw up my exhaust and intake system. I would like some other opinions on the subject.
    Well, you can check the ongoing discussion in Coupes, Convertibles, and Sports Cars -- Premium v. Regular Gas, or choose one of the many Honda topics to talk to other Honda owners about their experiences.

You can find related topics by using the make/model drop-down menus in the gray sidebar at the left.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Help finding PT Cruiser repair or maintenance issues please. I am considering the purchase of PT Cruiser, and can't find any reference to any problem areas current owners have. I know the car has a good rep for reliability, but can't believe that there are no forums where folks have discussed any problems and or fixes. Any help would be apprciated.
    You should scour the SUV and Hatckback Boards and see what's up there.

Mrshiftright
    Host
    jbollt, you can also use the make/model drop-down menus in the gray sidebar at the left to select Chrysler PT Cruiser. The best way to get info on problems experienced by owners is to ask them in one of the ongoing PT Cruiser topics.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

yes, the one that says "Search Town Hall by Vehicle". Great suggestion Kirstie!
  • cha41icha41i Member Posts: 3
    I has a hard time to shift the gear from park to drive. After try back and fore, it allow me to shift in to drive, then we go. Once it is going, there is no problem at all in it automatic shifting. What wrong with it. what "part" should I replace it? My neighbor mechanic say .. It is interfere from the brake line? It is a safety feature. However 2nd Q?... ABS warning light is keep on my dash board. what wrong.
    Okay I see you've posted this question elsewhere. Where it needs to go is the "Transmission Traumas" topic but since you've posted it twice already we'll see if someone answers it where it is.
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    I saw a topic something like why can't US manufacturers make cars as reliable as foreign ones, but I can't find the topic now. Can you help me?
    I had a quick look for that topic and used some of our search tools, but couldn't find the topic you mention using any of the key words you've used. However, there are a number of import vs domestic/reliability discussions underway on the News & Views board, so you might do well to join one of those, or continue to use the search tools in the gray sidebar at the left to seek out active topics that might be of interest. Hope this helps some.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    GMC Wiper Motor

GM came out with a special Policy on them.
    Special Policy - Windshield Wiper Motor Failures #02054 - (02/21/2003)
    Special Policy Adjustment - Windshield Wiper Motor Failures
    This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (112,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership, or for those vehicles currently outside of this coverage, until February 29, 2004. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
    Done!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    GM may be paying back alot of folks. :)
  • agupteagupte Member Posts: 4
    I am going crazy with my 2002 Camry. It has 19600 miles on it but it vibrates like anything at 2000 rpm and more. Feels like I am riding a helicopter. The dealer asked me to change 2 and then if the noise is still there, then change the remaining ones also. I have done the rotations, the 15000 mile servicing etc but to have such things happen at less than 20000 miles is driving me nuts. Noise is still there after changing 2 tires.
    Maybe I will make money by giving "simulated helicopter" rides in my car :-(
    You need to post this question here:

Camry Problems
  • wep68wep68 Member Posts: 18
    Hi

Can you direct me to where I can reserach this info on the WWW, or alternatively where I can post on the Town Hall to query the users about where I can research this info?

Thanks

Bill
    Welcome! You can check our topic, Technical Service Bulletins for some updates. Also, you can check with other owners of the same vehicle to see if they know of any TSBs or recalls. You can find topics on specific cars using the make/model drop-down menus in the gray sidebar at the left.

There are several knowledgeable technicians here in Maintenance & Repair who quite often find this information, and you might attract their attention by posting in the Technical Service Bulletins topic.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• als995als995 Member Posts: 3
    Where do I find info. on how to buy honda brand engine oil??
    I was unaware that Honda actually has a brand of engine oil?? Well, if you have a friendly relationship with your dealership service center, you could ask one of the technicians.

In Town Hall, the best place to ask is in an existing topic about the Civic, where you'll find other owners & enthusiasts who might be able to give you some direction. You can find those topics using the make/model drop-down menus in the gray sidebar at the left, under "Search by vehicle."

The Honda website also gives recommendations on which oil is best for your vehicle.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• windsurfer02windsurfer02 Member Posts: 5
    The other day I was reading a post on different shops that people had endorsed/recommended. I don't know if it was for AWD or Suburu owners, but I do remember a reference to a good Subaru dealership in Decateur, GA....That's about all I remember about the post....Is there some way you can just put in your name & have the posts you asked about come it. This website is confusing to navigate in if you're new to it. TIA
    I think for your case I'd go to the Board called "Owner's Clubs" (use the drop down window on the left of this page, labeled "Select a Board") and then scan the topic list for the Subaru Club.

You might also try "Advanced Search", once you get to the Subaru Club, also found on the left of that page, and do a "text search" on a keyword like "recommended repair shops" or a variation of that.

Let me know if you don't find what you want.

MrShiftright
    Host
  • advirradvirr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Alero GLS that I have had pulsating problems at least two times in the past. ( I have 67,000 miles ) I had the front disc pads replaced last August - 19m miles ago. Now I am informed the front inner brake pad is separating from the backing. Is Mr. Goodwrench's brake pads only good for 20m miles as the dealer says? The last set lasted for 47m miles. What gives here? Anyone else out there?
    You're not alone! We have several archived discussions on this problem. Here's the link to one. There are others, which you can find using the keyword search in the gray sidebar at the left.

You'll find other Alero owners in the Alero topic. You can get there using the make/model drop-down menus in the gray sidebar.

Let me know if you need other help!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• delivereguydelivereguy Member Posts: 7
    I have found to have good success with replacement mufflers, exhaust pipes, ect. from Napa auto parts. Lifetime waranty on muffler and sometimes even the exhaust pipes! The muffler on my 89 Honda civic is good for about 3-4 years. The original was a one piece, but Napa breaks into 3 pieces, exhaust pipe/muffler/tailpipe. Now just replace what I need. Actually sounds pretty good with holes in the muffler, LOL
    you TOO can sound like a UPS truck!
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    Can you please point me to a forum on how to get my tires as shiny as possible? What products to others use and also their opinion.

Thanks
    I think you should post in either of our Waxes and Polishes topics. There's one for "Zaino" products and another for "Store-Bought" products. The people in both topics are very helpful.

welcome!
    MrShiftright
    Host
This discussion has been closed.