Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Convertible

Comments

• aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    my initial search for a new Cabriolet was such that if you want that particular color combo (top, body, interior), and equipment, it can be hard to locate and when the dealer knows he's has the one particular car, you're pretty much limited in negotiating.

-find two of the same cars on two different lots at the end of the month and suddenly you're in the cat bird seat.

Thinking the Costco pricing of $1,500 over invoice was fair for that one of a kind car suddenly seemed high once you face two dealer against one another.
    I might note that "invoice" suddenly becomes many different things after agreeing to "honor" the Costco pricing model. e.g. add fees, doc prep and dealer prep, ca. state emmisions....

The end result was $1,000 over invoice and a feeling of accomplishement and a stop to all the BS that the dealer tries to pile on.

Because Audi doesn't let you search inventory on-line, and the Cabriolet is not out there in great numbers, it took some work to find the two identicle vehicles, but it was all worth it.
  • macmurdomacmurdo Member Posts: 31
    I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if so, is there an explanation/solution????

I have a 2 month old 2005 1.8T FWD cab... love it... drives great; don't mind the tip-lag since the car is a beauty!!

One little thing, the service interval indicator in the driver information display continually comes on as "Service!". First time was at <3K miles... had the dealer look at it and reset it.... next week "Service!". Then I read how to reset it myself (thought that maybe dealer had not done it right) and reset it... Same thing, in less than a week it was back. The other strange thing I noticed after resetting, and giving the car time to figure out driving style etc, the display read "Service in 100 miles or 365 days"... then an hour and a half later it was back to "Service!".

Obviously there is some problem in the computer. I'm curious to know if this is just my car or if others have also experienced this.

I also have a 2005.5 2.0T Q with the same insides... it's computer works perfectly!!
  • rob39rob39 Member Posts: 3
    It looks that this is your car.
    well somebody must be unlucky.mine is working perfectly well.
    good luck
  • a4cabriosocala4cabriosocal Member Posts: 2
    I've been a reader of this forum and others on-line and found the discussions very helpful while making the decision on which vehicle to purchase. After much research on-line, test drives and getting pricing from a half dozen dealers, I chose the A4 Cabriolet.

Now that I've had some time to break in my new Cab, I figured I'd pass along some info for others. I ordered the A4 Cabriolet (1.8T) with the S-Line package back in January and took delivery in May. It's now August and I have to say that this particular vehicle is flawless. Fit and finish are perfect. The CVT transmission is exceptionally smooth and it also adjusts for the turbo lag (I've owned a 1.8T Jetta with the Tiptronic and the turbo lag was very noticeable). The Bose stereo system has great sound with the top down or up. Most of all, the S-Line package is what I feel makes the car distinctive.

Overall, the dealer experience was great and I'm very satisfied with the car.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    a4cab,
    care to share what you paid for your Cabriolet?

I picked up a new '06 with premium package and Bose for $1,000 over invoice.
    This took quite a bit of research and haggling. I started out using the Costco pricing model of $1,500 over invoice, but when some dealers started saying it didn't cover the '06 models I balked and got more aggressive after locating two of the same cars on two different lots.

I have no idea if this is a great price since I have yet to see anyone post what they paid for a Cabriolet here.

The car really is flawless - pick up process and paper work went smooth at Audi of Oakland.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congrats, a4cabriosocal! I hope you'll also post about your purchase on the Audi A4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion, to help out other folks who are looking to buy an A4.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• dodgydavedodgydave Member Posts: 4
    Hi, read somewhere that it uses about 1 litre (2.2 pints) of oil every 3000 miles as standard, although that was the 2.4.

Might be worth checking though.

Regards, Dave.
  • a4cabriosocala4cabriosocal Member Posts: 2
    I'd prefer not to go into specific pricing. However, I will share that I ordered the car with pretty much every option/package available except for the GPS navigation and the tire pressure monitoring system. I got all invoice pricing from Consumer Reports. I negotiated the deal via e-mail, which I found to be an efficient way to negotiate rather than in person.

Bottom line, I got a great deal (not invoice but certainly not sticker price). After placing my order, my sales person kept me updated on the car's progress via e-mail. When the car finally arrived, similar to your experience, the process was quick and went well. There were no hard sell tactics for aftermarket options. BTW, I dealt with Circle Imports in Long Beach. Based on this purchase experience I would purchase from them again.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    What kinds of things have gone wrong with your Bimmer? Every report and article I have read lately rates BMW 3 series just below Toyota and Honda for reliability.
    Hi,

Do you have any pictures of the new Sat Nav Plus ?

I'm just about to place an order and I think they are still offering the old one over here in the UK.

Does yours have these MP3 slots behind the screen ?

I can't seem to get any info on the new version and I want to make sure I don't end up with the old one. Although I do want the current model and not this new style "Nuvolari" grill - Ugly or what !

Anyone got any other points to look out for before I part with my cash.

Regards, DDave.
  • jpouchetjpouchet Member Posts: 38
    Don't know if you bought yet but the service I've received from my dealer, Audi of mission Viejo, CA has been excellent. Right up there with the service from Fletcher Jones Mercedes.

The A4 1.8T has been fabulous. Everyone loves the aesthetics and riding in it is not too bad either.

The standard sound system is JUST FINE! No need to upgrade unless you really want to rock the world as you drive.

Sorry but the Toyota is just an UGLY car. My opinion but shared by just about anyone that pulls a Solara up alongside the A4 Cab.

Best wishes.
    The Sat Nav Plus looks exactly the same as what is in the 2005.5 A4 sedan... yes it has the SD card slots, and contrary to what the manual says, the MP3 reader does fine with large capacity cards (I have a 1 GB card full of MP3s and it works fine!!)
  • electricmanelectricman Member Posts: 2
    I've had my new A4 Cab for two weeks, and love it so far. Two issues:

1. Does use of the wind screen offer a noticeable difference? I've used it once, but didn't notice much difference. Is this typical? If so, I'll consider storing it in the garage.

2. My (kids) only complaint is the lack of a rear seat center arm rest. I don't understand why the center panel was designed to be removable instead of drop down.

Thoughts?
  • jpouchetjpouchet Member Posts: 38
    Wow, #2 is the exact same complaint that my kids have with the back seat. I agree and sent a similar recommendation to Audi USA for future models. No reason why this couldn't be a drop down arm rest with a few cupholders as well.

My wind screen is GREAT. Try using it with the windows up if you want more protection from the wind. My wife and daughter both have long blond hair and can ride or drive the car with no problems.

We tested the effect. No screen - hair wraps around into face and gets stuck on lipstick. Screen and windows down, slight hair movement but less than without screen and no longer whipping into face. Screen and windows up - minimal hair movement.

My wind screen is up almost all the time. I only take it out when the whole family goes for a ride, I need to take customers out, or I'm golfing as the clubs only fit in the back seat. Tried to stuff them in the ski boot but not enough room.

Enjoy your Audi.

Oh yeah, gas mileage. If you have the 1.8T with CVT I've found that despite what the media says, it is actually better to accelerate quickly (not rocket ship fast) up to speed, say 40-45 mph, and then ease off the gas. This gets you out of the poor torque range of the 1.8T, takes advantage of the CVT, and then eases the RPM back very quickly improving the MPG. I noticed a 2-3 mpg improvement around town with this technique.
    Just gone to order my A4 Cabriolet only to find that Audi are not accepting any more orders !

What's worse is that I can't find a dealer with one in stock that meats my spec.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace a 3 spoke sports steering wheel with the 4 spoke multifunction one with paddle change at a later date, if I go for one without them ?
  • kocourkocour Member Posts: 11
    I found a really beautiful 2005 A4 convertible that the dealer is offering at a really good year end price, but the horror stories I have read on buyer reviews and local Audi owners are giving me pause. It sounds like every 10th Audi is a lemon. Any ecouraging words to get me into the Audi family? Have they really improve in quality since 2004?
  • nevans1nevans1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 A4 Cab. The rear right hand brake bulb has blown but I can not see how to change it. I have taken off the plastic plug behind the lights and undone a large nut. The lights will move but not come out. What else needs to be taken off or removed to enable a simple! bulb change. I have looked in the manual and it says 'take to a garage'!!
  • ilight4uilight4u Member Posts: 7
    gas mileage ? I've got a 2004 Cab / 1.8T with CVT, and the dealer can't get the mileage even close to what it's supposed to be (30 highway). The best I've gotten on the highway, driving at night with the cruse control at 75mph, is 25.1. In town on the freeways without traffic it's 20.5-22 mpg. Any ideas?
    ilight4u
  • vincentlvincentl Member Posts: 2
    What fuel grade do you put in? With the top up, I do 31 mgp at 70 mph (cruise on) with my 2004 A4 Cab 3.0 V6 (it's not a Turbo engine, I know). And in town, I do between 20 to 25 mpg, but that's when I'm a very cool driver.
    So far, I only used 93. I've read that you get 10% more miles using 93 vs. 87.
    The dealer recommends 89 though ...
    I agree... I have a 2005 1.8T and even with 91 octane...

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE POSTING>..... this is only a fraction of what I sent to post!!
    Here's what I said...

I agree... I have a 2005 1.8T Cab and even with fewer than 3000 miles, I was achieving 31 - 32 mpg on highway trips... top up and AC on or not! I always choose to use 91 octane or higher....
    I just bought a 2005 1.8T - the miles per gallon read out indicates that I am getting 26 to 28 miles per gallon on the highway at speeds of 65 to 70 miles per hour. The salesman tells me that will improve as the car gets broken in. From others experience is that true?
    Thanks for the advice on whether or not to buy the Audi. After much thought I did buy it last week. Before doing so I spoke to my local and trusted foreign car mechanic, who happens to own a couple of Audis himself, and he put things in perspective for me. Audi did have several bad years in terms of reliability but has improved in recent years. I should expect more to go wrong with this car than the Japanese models that I have owned in the past but the excitement of driving it should be worth it. Since I try to keep my cars for at least ten years I may buy an extended warranty for $1800 that will cover most items for 7 years or 70,000 miles (3 years and 20,000 miles beyond the Audi warranty). I have 12 months to decide on whether to buy the extended warranty - any advise?

The car is a 2005 1.8t convertible. Its handsome design and the fun of the convertible was one of the reasons I decided to buy it over an Infiniti G35 coup. It also gets better gas mileage. It had been on the dealers lot for several months and they have two 2006 convertibles - I live in the Midwest where convertible season is coming to an end - so I was able to get it below invoice - the dealer was also able to cut $1000 off the price if I financed it through Audi so I figure I got a fair deal.
  • sunlabelsunlabel Member Posts: 4
    This is the second time in a year that the convertable top inside handle will not turn completely to unlock the top. I have tried everything. i.e. lock trunk, emergency brake up, in park, etc. Last year I brought the car to Audi and they repaired it with a trunk lock sensor replacement at a cost of $600. Well that lasted about 6 months and now I have the same problem. Does anyone else have this problem.? Am I missing something. Is there a cheaper way to fix this? I love this car but you can imagine how frustrating this is on those nice sunny days! Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi, sunlabel,

You might also want to ask the members in the Audi A4 Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion. It's possible that someone there has had this problem too.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hi Claires,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just posted this on A4 Probems and Solutions. Hopefully someone will have an answer. Take care.
    I've always used Premium gas, and over the last 15 tanks of gas / 5149 miles, I've averaged ONLY 22.345 mpg. Almost all of the miles are freeway speeds (55-75) without traffic. The deaaler is still running tests, but "everything is in specificartion".
  • rob39rob39 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for some new A4 2006 cabrio pictures.Not many on the net.Can you help?thanks
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    No different than the 05 models. The 06's have the nicer 17 inch wheels standard, and the 1.8T's have wood trim as well. Other than that, it's the same car.

The new grills and engines will be on the 07's next year.
    1994 Audi Cab top latch won't unlock.
    This is the second time in a year that the convertable top inside handle will not turn completely to unlock the top. I have tried everything. i.e. lock trunk, emergency brake up, in park, etc. Last year I brought the car to Audi and they repaired it with a trunk lock sensor replacement at a cost of $600. Well that lasted about 6 months and now I have the same problem. Does anyone else have this problem.? Am I missing something. Is there a cheaper way to fix this? I love this car but you can imagine how frustrating this is on those nice sunny days! Any help would be appreciated
  • jagwagjagwag Member Posts: 5
    I recently bought an '06 A4 1.8 cab, now have only 1500 miles on it , and the "check engine" light won't turn off !

Dealer told me to tighten gas cap ... I did, but no help.

Then I took it to dealer, waited 2 hours while they worked on it. They said they got light off, but needed some "computer disc" to really fix the problem, and they'd call me when the Rep with the disc came to see them.

3 days after service the light is back on. I email dealer, and they say "Disc" WON'T cure problem , and they don't know WHAT it is, and "some time in the future they hope to get a Bulletin from Audi telling them HOW to fix problem"........ and I must keep driving and hoping the light is NOT on for some serious reason !

I'm amazed at such trouble from a NEW car. Never had such trouble with 3 BMWs , or Nissan , etc............. it's my first Audi, but will be my last if they don't fix the problem. Since Dealer can't ( Jim Ellis of Atlanta), I'm entering this POST HOPING CLAIRES or SOMEONE out there can help me.....................

The car is beautiful , but the engine light worries me. I'll appreciate ANY help ! Thanks , Scott
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    If I were you, I'd try to get what they said in writing. This way, if anything goes wrong with your cab, it is not because of your negligence. Think of it as an added insurance that they will be responsible for what happens because they can't fix it.
    Are you referring to the Service!! indicator in the driver information display?? That can be reset by holding in the check button (wrench) while starting the car, and hitting the reset (0,0) once the display comes up.

However, I have had this problem also, with the Service!! indicator, and resetting only puts it off for 200 miles. I am told by one of the master mechanics at my dealership that they can "reprogram" the intervals that the computer uses during the reset, and assured me that could be done easily during my next service... soon. I'll let you know if it actually works.
    Hi, Jagwag! I'm hopeful that you've been helped by burosky's and macmurdo's, suggestions. You can also ask the folks in the Check Engine Light discussion if they've heard anything about this problem.

I've always used premium, and now after 6000 miles of checking the mileage it's STILL BAD. I drive very cool as well, but it still averages 22-24 mpg. I've tried it with the top up, and no A/C, but it still won't get over 25 on the highway, at 70-75 moph and on cruse.
  • vincentlvincentl Member Posts: 2
    The server does not let me reply to ilight4u's msg, so I start a new thread:

I've just filled my gas tank: 16.2 g. for 384 miles => 23.7 mpg.

I have the 3.0 V6 2004 Cab. 14,500 miles

I believe I drove not more than 70 highway miles on this tank. Most of the miles: city: drop the son to school, go to the office, come back home, go to the grocery store ... so I drive the car for 5 to 10 minutes, most of the time less than 5 miles. I agree that there is not much traffic jam in Austin TX, but this is not conditions where the engine will be the most efficient (cold start, traffic lights and stops, ...).

I know it does not help, and that might make you mad. It sounds like I'm very lucky, I just want to share here.
    Another factor: the weather is very mild for the season in Austin (70* to 90* F), not cold at all, and cooler weather will "reduce" the mpg for such short trips.

Vincent
  • cabriomancabrioman Member Posts: 1
    Hello to all. My 1995 Audi Cabrio makes a 3 to 4 second hum comming from the rear passenger side. This happens when the car is in motion or parked and does not happen all the time. By the time I get to the back and put my earto the quarter panel the hum stops. Anyone experiencing this?
    Thanks
  • eddie650eddie650 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2005 Audi Cabriolet and my top was recently slashed as part of a vehicle burglary/break-in while it was parked in my parking space in a condo garage. Though the alarm had been set the night before, I don't believe the alarm ever went off and I don't know whether it should have been tripped. This got me to wondering whether other convertible owners frequently leave their vehicle unlocked so that they can avoid a similar experience with their top.
    Where I live, it appears that the main problem is kids wanting to rummage thru the car and take things rather than trying to steal the car. What do you think? (I must admit I had some grocery bags with old clothes in the front seat area; maybe that was the draw to my car :cry: .)
    Dear claires --- check engine light is still on , now at 4,000 miles . No help from other posts or chats........... please help me . Thanks
    jagwag, try posting a question in the discussion I suggested earlier. The folks there are friendly and knowledgeable, and you're bound to get the help you're looking for.

"Check Engine" Light

• marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Have the dealer replace the "mass oxygen sensor".
    marleybarr, did you have my same problem , and that was your solution? Thanks for your help & info .
    Hi, I have just installed my Sony CD Changer in my glove box, which I had to remove to complete the task.
    Having put everything back together and tested it to check all was well, I called it a day.

However, the next day when I went to leave home, I have a warning that my centre break light has failed. I have checked the other break lights and they are working fine.

So,

Q1. Could I have disturbed a connector behind the glove box which has caused this failure, or is it just a coincidence ?

I don't really want to go to back to my dealer until I'm sure it is nothing I've done.

Q2. I can't see how to remove the lens to check the bulbs / LED's anyone know how ?

Regards, Dave.
  • don47don47 Member Posts: 1
    Just a quick question. I am considering buying a 2003 A4 3.0 convertible. In one word would you recommend this car? Thanks
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Hi All:

Will be taking delivery of a CPO 04 3.0 FWD cabriolet on Wednesday. Looking forward to owning my first Audi. Will be replacing my 325i convertible. Was quite impressed with the spaciousness vs the BMW, among other things.

Any quirks with the cab that I should be aware of? Not issues or problems, just everyday experiences with the car.

Thanks.
  • mikeebearmikeebear Member Posts: 13
    After looking at bunches of cars to buy, including the bmw z4, bmw 325ci convertible, volvo c70, saab 9-3, slk 280, and of course, the audi a4 cabriolet, I have HUGE complaints with the audi.

The car is so over-priced. It doesn't come with ANY convenience features virtually, it doesn't have any standard features you couldn't find in a toyota or a honda, and worst of all, it doesn't even have a big engine. What is it that you'd be paying 37,000+ for? What junk! Even BMW which compromises on luxury a bit for a sportier car and a luxurious brand name gives you much more than an audi a4 cabriolet provides.

I don't understand this. I love how the car looks and I was so excited to test drive it, but I am sadly disappointed.

Audi is just recently emerging as a top make and I don't feel as if it should really be pricing its cars higher based on its brand name or something.

Someone give me some positives to look at here! The only cars I've seen worse than this are porsches and ferraris!
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    anyone know if audi is planning on a A5 coupe?..if so, when?...thanks
  • yaffiyaffi Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

I have a 2003 Sebring Covertible which I have enjoyed and want to trade it in while I am at break even and before I have to start pouring money into it. 2 weeks after the warantee was over Dec.31st, I had to replace two window motors, a week apart. I know there is appro. another 700.00 in maintenace repairs I must do, I forgot exactly what. The car has only 32,400 miles on it, I also put new michelin tires on it about this year. I looked at the Solara and quite honestly tho I know that toyota makes a great car, I am not so crazy about the bigness of it or the ride for a convertible. I prefer to be more solidly on the road and to feel it under me. the Solara flies. Also there just seems to me to be so much huge plastic body on it without moldings, and seems a bit clutzy. I like the idea of reliability and a new car..however, I like more the audi cabriolet, which I am considering. Here are my questions.

1. They will give me approx. 11,000. for my Sebring and thier car 2003 Beautiful condition, with 37000 miles, approx the same price as new toyota solara. I am concerned about the warranty and repairs. It is the 3 litre rather than the turbo engine, I saw a turbo engine too, a bit newer, less mileage, the ride seems to me because of its hestitancy on start up to have a trani problem!! I have been told by salesman that is the ride. What is this engine like? Is it worth buying or problems??
    And how much problems and money would I expect to pay for the 2004 with 14,000 miles on it tho it LOOKS brand new.
    Thanks..I don't want to have exorbitant maintenance and repair bills.
    ????????
    Hi,

I have a 2003 Sebring Covertible which I have enjoyed and want to trade it in while I am at break even and before I have to start pouring money into it. 2 weeks after the warantee was over Dec.31st, I had to replace two window motors, a week apart. I know there is appro. another 700.00 in maintenace repairs I must do, I forgot exactly what. The car has only 32,400 miles on it, I also put new michelin tires on it about this year. I looked at the Solara and quite honestly tho I know that toyota makes a great car, I am not so crazy about the bigness of it or the ride for a convertible. I prefer to be more solidly on the road and to feel it under me. the Solara flies. Also there just seems to me to be so much huge plastic body on it without moldings, and seems a bit clutzy. I like the idea of reliability and a new car..however, I like more the audi cabriolet, which I am considering. Here are my questions.

1. They will give me approx. 11,000. for my Sebring and thier car 2003 Beautiful condition, with 37000 miles, approx the same price as new toyota solara. I am concerned about the warranty and repairs. It is the 3 litre rather than the turbo engine, I saw a turbo engine too, a bit newer, less mileage, the ride seems to me because of its hestitancy on start up to have a trani problem!! I have been told by salesman that is the ride. What is this engine like? Is it worth buying or problems??
    And how much problems and money would I expect to pay for the 2003 with 37,000 miles on it tho it LOOKS brand new.
    Thanks..
    ????????
    oops meant to say a 2004 or 5 with 14,000 miles on it..I found another to look it.