Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    "Those wipes have ALCHOHOL in them. I would think they could be quite destructive to a car's finish."

Windshield washer fluid has alcohol in it also and it gets all over your car's finish. I don't think they'd use alcohol in washer fluid if it ruined the paint.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Different kind of alcohol, and very watered down. Like much in life, much depends on the concentration.
    It can't be THAT watered down, otherwise it would freeze in the winter.....and I'm pretty sure they are the same kind of alcohol....the kind you aren't supposed to drink, methyl or ethyl, I can't remember.
    It IS. 20-30% methanol is typical.

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M00981.htm

I would NOT use baby wipes on my car, be it a Mazda6 or a Matchbox.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    Finally, a subject worth of the Mazda6 forum. :)

Seriously, wipes generally use isopropyl alcohol while washer fluid uses methy alcohol. Ethyl alcohol is the fun one. Most paints should stand up to any alcohol. I'm not sure what the concentration is in wiper fluid. I use paper or cloth towels with wiper fluid to clean off bird droppings and stuff.

Letting dishwashing fluid dry on a car finish can damage it. If you rinse it off THOROUGHLY, it shouldn't damage the paint. However, leave just a little on, and it can crack the finish as it dries. I think (and I stress I THINK) the detergent molecules bond strongly to the paint and the molecules contract a lot when they dry out, which can stress the finish and create cracks in it. Dishwashing liquids are very strong detergents (bond very well to dirt and water), whereas most auto detergents are pretty weak.
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    So, just keep a bottle of grain alcohol in the car for emergencies ;)
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,035
    ...can remove waxes and sealants off your paint.

For aviary deposits I suggest you get a spray bottle and mix up about 1 cap of carwash with water. Use that to wet down the offending deposit and wipe it off with a cotton towel.
    "It IS. 20-30% methanol is typical."

Maybe it's typical in WV and warmer climates, but here in MN in the winter, I don't think a 20% solution would stand up very well.

Before I was of drinking age, I used to sneak liquor from my Dad and drink it with my freinds. He kept his liquor in the freezer. I remember one time, we drank about a 1/4 of a 750 ml of Smirnoff 80 proof/40% alcohol. I topped it off with water so my Dad wouldn't notice and put it back in the freezer......and it froze. Considering that it was 40% alcohol, and I diluted only 25% and it still froze, I don't see how 20% washer fluid would work here in MN.
    You drank ethanol. Windshield washer mix contains methanol. The 20-30% is sold nationally and protects to 20 below zero.

It is also what came in the washer bottle of any new Mazda6!
    I didn't realize that the different alcohols have different freezing points.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    "Seriously, I don't think there is a long haul sedan designed for GT speeds for $15K brand new."

I would have to disagree.

We test drove the Protege up to 70MPH. At 70MPH the Protege is fine. But the faster you go above 70 the noisier it gets. And it's not more noise accompanied by a rush or even a dose of power. It's just noisier. Had Mazda left the 1.8L engine in the Protege we probably would have kept it. And had a deal to good to refuse not presented itself after 7 months we would have kept it a bit longer. I didn't hate the car, I hated the engine.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    if u disagree, at the very least give the name of a car ~15K that can run effortlessly at 90mph.
    There isn't a $15K car that can run effortlessly at 90 mph, that's why there was no mention of it by anon or gee. There are cars that get better gas mileage and are geared a little better for the freeway, but in no way can they cruise effortlessly at 90 mph. ANY of the cars in this price range are going to be somewhat strained and noisy at 90 mph. The only car I can think of that might be a little better than most at 90 mph in the lower price ranges would be an SE-R because it has a bigger engine......but the mileage is gonna be even worse than the Protege.

If anon and gee had asked me before they bought the Protege which car they should get for highspeed freeway cruising, I wouldn't have recommended the Protege. I could have told them that even if I have never driven or owned a Protege. I would have told them to look for something along the lines of a used Maxima, Acura TL, or something like that. Would have saved them a lot of money.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    the four cylinders from the accord or camry (these are still not $15k cars though) should be pretty quiet and somewhat relaxed. have not driven the mazda6 i4, but would think that car would too. not that you could squirt up effortlessly from 90 mph like you can in those cars v6 counterparts.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    90 mph isn't that fast. It may be illegal but it ain't gonna hurt no one if you do it on the open highway. Our 1993 Civic EX 2 door handled 90 and well above with no problems. The 1.6L engine didn't get buzzy like the 2.0 in the Pro. And it also wasn't geared like the Pro. It was running at a much lower RPM so it also still got well over 30 mpg.

Our 1996 and 1999 Civic EX 4 doors also handled 90 no problem. The Protege would DO 90 but the engine was thrashy at that speed because it was running near 5000 rpm. The chassis was in heaven at those speeds however. I'm sure a pre-2.0 Protege wouild have fit the bill quite nicely.

I owned a 1996 Celica that would cruise 110. On the cruise control.

We owned a couple Integras that were very quiet at 90 until I put a Flowmaster muffler on them. Then the exhaust was boomy but the engine was smooth as a sewing machine.

As we discussed in the Protege room at that time, that engine either needs longer gearing, hydraulic engine mounts, or balance shafts like the 2.0 in the Civic Si if they are going to have it run like that.

The Accord DX, base Camry, base Galant and Mazda6 base model are all close to $15k cars here in Atlanta. And I know any of those are great 90 mph plus car. I've driven all of them. Actually I'd say of those, the Accord and 6 are 100 mph+ cars.

Anyway my point is that it was the engine not the car. As usual in here folk get a little defensive. Just like the Leganza room(when it existed).

Late addition.....
    I know the previous version of the Protege would fly on the highway. I drove several of them and they were awesome cars for the highway. In fact I would buy one of those today if a nice one came my way. They looked kinda sporty too.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I have never done 90 mph and I don't intend to. In New Jersey we pay the 2nd highest insurance premiums next to New York. If I get a speeding ticket I'll have to work a 2nd Job. I'll be looking at working at Dunkin Donut's on my weekends off.
    I live in near Atlanta. I have 2 Lexi (old ones) and a new Honda Accord EX in my garage. $2000 a year insurance. We've gotten a few tickets over the years. I call em a "travel tax". No big deal.
    Don't forget about the base Jetta. Even though reliability sucks the Jetta is a highway car if there ever was one.
    Yep. I've seen them on the side of the highway. Something about a coil?

Now, can we get back to talking about the 6?
    a highay cruiser. I see people in their Jetta's passing me doing 80 mph. I guess those people who drive Jetta's know they're Jetta is "really fun to drive" at 80 mph.
    Actually I was referring to the base 2.0L Jetta. The ignition coil problem affects the 1.8T.
    The Jetta is a classy looking car but its overpriced I feel.
    Same here. But they drive great.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    They do drive great...in a straight line.
  • miata10aemiata10ae Posts: 90
    Yawn....

Time for an MZ6 oil change.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I'm with you. The only way I'd do 90 in New Jersey, is if everybody else around me was doing 110. I would do the 90 in the right line. :0 Thankfully though years of not doing 90 has enabled me to get a fairly low insurance rate.

In New Jersey your car insurance rates can be raised if you get a ticket for jaywalking.
    Atlanta's main countie also have some of the highest insurance rates. I live faaarr out in the burbs. Insurance is at least 50% cheaper.

And most highways are straight. So 90 is no problem in many cars as far as suspension capability.
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Saw 3 6's today. All three had the sport package (or perhaps the appearance package if they are about the same). One white, one black and one yellow.

Lately I had been seeing more minis than 6's and wondered why that was.
    The Mini has been out the longer than the 6 thats proably why.

About New Jersey Insurance rates I got into an accident with my 1st car. A month later I purchased the 626 back in 98 as a lease purchase. 200 dollars a month for a 4 door car. Crazy! People on 287 and the New Jersey Turnpike they like going 90 mph. At least drving in New Jersey is better than driving in NYC.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    *I see people in their Jetta's passing me doing 80 mph. I guess those people who drive Jetta's know they're Jetta is "really fun to drive" at 80 mph.*

They are trying to get to their dealers before they conkout on them. LOL!

By the way, the phrase is, "...their Jettas are...".

fowler3