Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• seafseaf Posts: 339
    Have oil leak after an oil changes is not specific to 6i MZ6's. I've seen it happen on other makes and models with quick lube places. The bottom line is, whether you do it youself, or have someone else do it, make sure there aren't oil leaks afterwards.

There have been a few people who changed the oil in their MZ6's here, I wonder if they encountered this. And was the "special" tool mentioned in the manual needed to make sure everything is done right?
  • accord7accord7 Posts: 96
    I visited my local Mazda dealer this past weekend, and most of the 6's had a common problem. I noticed the passenger airbag cover and the storage compartment lid on top of the dash were discolored. The cars have been sitting out in the hot sun, and apparently fade under extreme heat. It's not a real serious issue, but it did hurt the appearance of the interiors.
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Posts: 237
    I have a better understanding of the Duratec engine and the Mazda version of it used in the MZ6. I had no idea that Ford used Porsche as a designer for any of their engines. Very interesting.

I knew that the Duratec was used in the Taurus/Sable models, but I didn't know that it was used in any Lincoln or Jaguar vehicles. That surprised me.

It sounds like it has a timing chain instead of a belt. Or just the Mazda version of it? Either way, I guess that's an advantage, right?

It seems like the Duratec is a very good engine and is generally underrated. I never heard much discussion about it, good or bad. With the modifications that Mazda has made to it, it should prove to be an awesome machine. Actually, I'm counting on that! LOL

The wealth of knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me ...
  • haironghairong Posts: 153
    The 2.5L Duratec was one of Ward's 10 best engine for 2(3?) years, 1st the basic version then the SVT version.

Jag's 3.0 is more complicated than Mazda's mod, but it is expected, to have better NVH (smoother/quieter) to go with more power (240HP).
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Does the 4-cyl 2.5L engine use a timing belt or a chain?

Does the 6-cyl 3.0L engine use a timing belt or a chain? (The Duratec spec post implied that the engine uses a timing chain, but it would be nice to know for certain.)

Thanks.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    They both have chains, but the 4-cyl is 2.3L not 2.5L.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Mazda number 3 for me.

Protege gone to the dealer for $8700, 2001 ES 29,000 miles, no options.

Mazda6i manual with premium package, $200 below invoice plus $1250 rebate and 0% for 60 months. The payment is cheaper than the Protege's was.

Tee hee hee
  • narenjinarenji Posts: 161
    bean, how do you figure i got it for 950 below inv? i think i got a fair deal, not the best. the best would have been if the guy gave me blue book value (9400), applied the 1250 =10650, and given me $300 to use towards downpayment. then if i had gotten the car for around inv, my monthly payment would have been aroud $338 w/ the 300 as downpayment. my payments are 340 w/1000 dwn, because i had about 200 dollars neg equity still. so it's not the best deal, but what can you expect trading in a two plus year old mazda protege in such a soft used car market...

newcar, great job on your deal too. how much down if you don't mind me asking?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Way to go!!!!
    narenji-I didn't put anything down. That's the cool part.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    sniff...we'll miss you on the Protege boards. :)
    I'll still be on the Protege boards for a while trying to sell my winter tires and wheels....
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    is no money down the cool part? To me that is part and parcel of the deal. I won't be putting any money down when I buy.
  • drumm01drumm01 Posts: 97
    MazdaSpeed-tuned Miata to begin production late this year

The next MazdaSpeed-tuned car, the Miata, begins production in December in Japan and arrives in U.S. showrooms soon after that, as early as January. It will carry a Japanese turbocharger underhood.

Stick to it

Mazda officials tell us they’re sold out of 2003 Mazda 6s with V6 engines and five-speed manual transmissions. That’s because of a bigger-than-anticipated rush for the highest-powered 6 with a manual and lesser interest in automatic four-cylinders. Who says sticks are dead? The 2004 V6-powered 6 with five-speed manual goes on sale in July, without much of a price hike over 2003.
    It's cool to me because I didn't want to have to pay any money out of my pocket. To me, that's "part and parcel" of the deal too. The whole deal was easy, nothing really changed except my payment is cheaper for a longer period of time.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Dude, you got a cool car! :) Congrats! I'm living the joy of a new M6 through you now. My 01 PRO ES now has 38750 flawless miles on it.

You guys are so lucky in the US. Mazda Canada still has 4.9/48mths and 5.9/60mths financing on all Mazda6 models (:

Dinu

PS: What does the Sport package include in the US? In Canada it's 17" alloys, leather-wrapped steering wheel, hand-brake and shift knob.
  • cookie01cookie01 Posts: 369
    black leather or cloth (otherwise you get grey or tan).
    Of course the sports also have ground effects.

I was behind a white Mz6 yesterday. First white I've seen without the sport package. Two things:
    are the tail pipes smaller in Non sport? I wash my car all the time, so I wipe the pipes too, this white Mz6 seems to have smaller (but still two) pipes.
    Also, I don't like the back look as much without the effects. You see too much of the underside of the car.

Just my opinion.
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    If I remember right, you also get electro-luminescent red gauges, fog lights, and oval exhaust tips instead of round ones.
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    In casual conversation at the office, I mentioned that I was going to be entering the car market soon because I am almost done paying off the wife's Civic. A co-worker mentioned that he like that with his protege. I asked how he liked it. He said he only had one complaint and that was the defroster. He said next time he'd probably move up to the 626.

Exploiting the opening I gave him a quick run down of the 6 and how great it was. Took him to the website. Showed him the photos. Couldn't get the 360s to come up (lacking the QT plugin cuz I have the privileges of a peon here at work). He asked about price and I showed him the Edmunds TMV function. I showed him the incentives and that he was eligible for the loyalty cash. I emphasized that the car was new from the ground up and was sportier than the competition.

So there is one more person out there who knows.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    it wouldn't surprise me if a huge number of car buyers drive off the lot and never become "fans" of their brands, never stay on top of what is happening. Look at how many people drive yet never subscribe to car magazines.

fowler3

Congrats Todd! Enjoy your new ride!

Doubt I will be buying a 6 anytime soon. Still owe $5K on my '01 Pro LX. Payment is $183 month. Think what it would take to equal that on a 6i?
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    I found this article on www.autoweek.com. I states that Ford will also use the 6 platform for more than just cars.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06279828
    Nobody who I work with knew what a Mazda6 was.
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    I have taken at least 5 people by for test drives, no one has bought one yet, but they all loved it, and plan to buy one when they are ready financially. They were all talking about Accords.

People just have to drive it...if Mazda dealers were smart they would have a test Accord and Camry sitting there so people could compare them right away, then they would definitely be convinced. Obviously there is risk in that, but those people probably would not have bought anyway. At least it would show a huge level of confidence in their product.
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Posts: 79
    doying, thanks for the video link! That video really got me excited.
    I have been lurking around this thread for quite a while. I will probably be in the market for a new car next year. I went to the Rev It Up in Dallas. Really love the MZ6. But I also like the RX-8 from what I have read so far, even I have not driven one. I am tore between the 2. On the practical side MZ6(hatch) is better, but my heart tells me I "need" a RX-8. Anybody has the same struggle?
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Them (anybody): "What car are you thinking about getting?"
    Me: "a Mazda 6"
    Them: "a Mazda 626?"
    Me: "No, Mazda 6"
    Them: "yeah, a 626"
    Me: "No, Mazda 6"
    Them: <blank stare>
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Maybe Mazda should've just called it "626."
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Posts: 350
    Me: "the new Mazda 6"