Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• arockwelarockwel Member Posts: 33
    Acura RSX is a great car. I've owned 2 Integras and never had a problem.

However, I've had no major problems with my 6i (except for the brake squeal) with close to 13000 miles. I get around 27 mpg in combined city/highway driving. I don't think I'm the exception, either. It is natural for people to complain rather than praise -- and that is what I think, for the most part, is what you see on this board -- especially when the rust/stain issue was in full force

Anyway good choice on the RSX and good luck.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    The Edmunds Comparo also said and I quote " The car (GTS) has Altima like power and 6 like handling, and is heavier than both. Galant felt just as buttoned down and offered superb steering feedback." and also "The interior materials (in the 6) are'nt top notch, the controls can use some straightening out and even the Bose stereo is far from impressive." So it seems to me that the 6 is'nt that much better than the GTS.
  • likaglovlikaglov Member Posts: 82
    I read on the Ford Partner site that rebates don't necessarily apply to S-plan purchases. Can anyone tell me whether the $1500 rebate on the 2004 Mazda6 would apply with the S-plan? If not it seems that the TMV minus the rebate is $500 less than S-plan. Therefore I would NOT want to tell the dealer that I'm an S-plan buyer. It also makes me unsure about the Mazda6s for the price.

What to do, what to do? Any advice out there? Thanks in advance.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

This coming week's chat on Feb 10 is also going to include a set of trivia questions about the 2004 Mazda models, gleaned from the pages of Edmunds.com! So study up and join us on Tuesday evening!!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • bostongiobostongio Member Posts: 52
    I feel sorry for anyone who bases their buying decision about this car on some of the feedback of an online forum such as this. It's such an unrepresentative sample and proves nothing -- you can go into the problems forum for any car and see virtually the same thing. I'm not sure how someone can justify a decision based upon such feedback when, in a ratio comparison, the 6 has much fewer problems and much higher kudos (from a wide range of publications around the world) than practically any of its competitors.

The RSX is a sweet ride, but it's a completely different car.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The Mazda B3000 was a Ford Ranger not a Mazda. The 6 is more of a Ford/Mazda joint project. The B3000 is alot more Ford than Mazda. Comparing the 6 to a Ranger quality wise is likng comparing apples to oranges.

As far as far as problems go every model has its first year bugs. The Acura TL(tire problems) has had them, Toyota Camry Solara(steering pulling to the right), 03 Honda Accord(excessive rattling.)

The RSX is a great package though. I really like the interior.

I saw a redifire 6 yesterday. I usually see it on thw way to work. The owner of the redfire 6 is always going the opposite way I'm going. This time though something looked different about the car. There was no silver grille. It did have still have the Mazda tri-star emblem on it. I could see the car kinda close to me and the grille was black. Is that some kind of aftermarket grille?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Automotivenews, the news journal for the automotive industry has reported it. Doesn't that take it to another level? Kinda justifies his RSX purchase.
    Some random journalist needs a story so he looks through some of the problems forums online and finds one, nearly a year after it was first noticed? I hardly find that a story worth reporting on. It would have been far more relevant and interesting 8 or 10 months ago. Now it's like, "Well, there was this problem reported by some owners. Mazda looked into it, came up with a fix, and it seems to be working. Some owners are still dissatisfied." That's certainly not a story unique to Mazda... or even cars.
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    a gray one with spoiler in the next lane, and a sepang green on the highway, also with spoiler.
    Saw a yellow (similar to mine) going the other direction yesterday, and a base (I mean base) i in black in the Costco parking lot: Boy, does that look ugly! Almost like a different car! Must have been those ugly hubcaps. Those things should be outlawed on the M6! Don't do the car any justice; any self-respecting Mazda owner should swap them caps out for some decent wheels right away. Without them, the 6 kinda looks like a Corolla.
    Its not like its new news. Everybody is looking for a breaking story.

I like Honda/Acura but people act like they never have a problem while Mazda's association with Ford makes people think Mazda's are of poor quality.

Oh yeah the 6 don't look good without the spoiler and sport package. The ones withput the spoiler and sport package are mostly for the older crowd.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    It's really old news, and if you get an 04 it's a non-issue.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    In others (like the discontinued yellow...too bad, nice color), I prefer the add-ons.

In some, I could go either way (like the metallic red or black).
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "I feel sorry for anyone who bases their buying decision about this car on some of the feedback of an online forum such as this. It's such an unrepresentative sample and proves nothing"

Edmunds townhall and CR kept me out of a Jetta and steered me towards a Protege ES.

"The B3000 is alot more Ford than Mazda."

The B3000 is 100% Ford, no Mazda at all.

"Oh yeah the 6 don't look good without the spoiler and sport package. The ones withput the spoiler and sport package are mostly for the older crowd."

I'm 27 and I don't like the sport package or spoilers. I wanted to swap trunk lids on my 01 Protege ES because of the spoiler, but the dealer wouldn't do it because of brake light issues. I have a non-sport silver 6i with the 16 inch alloys and 35% tint. I wanted the 17s, but decided to do without them because of my experience with the low profile 195/50/16s on my Protege and our pot-holed roads here.
    "Well, there was this problem reported by some owners. Mazda looked into it, came up with a fix, and it seems to be working. Some owners are still dissatisfied." That's certainly not a story unique to Mazda... or even cars.

It's not that simple. The case isn't closed until we see how well the fix works AND Mazda notifies owners. Coming up with a "fix" is one part of the equation, coming clean with ALL affected owners is the other.
  • troybentroyben Member Posts: 42
    So, following that same logic, since the Accord transmission issues became well publicized, that would justify steering toward a Camry or 6?
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    I like my yellow lightning rod..
    The best side benefits of my car (besides being one of the very few yellow on the street), are:

1. When waiting to pick up people (like my son, wife), I don't have to actively look for them. They know where to go to get me.

2. Leaving the shopping mall, I don't waste any time looking for my car in a see of cars.

I know I had thought about #2 when shopping for a 6, but not about #1. Now, I can actually take a nap in it until someone raps on the window. What a lifesaver!

Vudini
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Is it really old news? I get an e-mail nearly every week of people going into their local dealership for the repair and they get blank stares in response. Sometimes, they have to provide the dealership with the TSB. It is questionable whether or not the dealership really didn't know it existed.

Also, if the article would have come out earlier (before 11/4/03), everyone would be complaining that it wasn't fair that Mazda hasn't been given enough time to figure out a repair procedure. If it would have come out before the holidays, it would have been said that the dealerships haven't had enough time to get all the materials and/or perfect the repair.

I think the timing is right because the problem has been scrutinized, a repair procedure has been issued, the repair procedure has been completed on a good number of vehicles, and the owners have had a chance to scrutinize the repair and how it has been holding up for at least a couple of months.

Personally, I think Mazda should at least notify the owners. The vast majority of the owners are never going to hear about it, and assuming hypothetically that it truly is rust, it may be too late when they find out on their own years down the road.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Why does Mazda's "flagship car" lack any real and practical options such as GPS Navigation or a full trip/mileage computer? It seems like they neglected to bring in common US mid-size car options. I realize that the car is marketed toward a sporty, young crowd, but... Mazda needs to get more liberal and practical in their equipment choices...

I am a Mazda fan (15+ years), but want to see the car company really stand out from the pack.

Just my 2 cents.

Martin
  • hen263hen263 Member Posts: 6
    I understand that a Mazda B-3000 is a Ford Ranger with a Mazda tag - that being said, my title still said "Mazda" and if i put my name on something, i wdn't try to pass off garbage with "well it's REALLY not mine, but someone else's and i just put my name on it...". Further, while a B-3000 might be all Ford, at this point knowing that the 6 is a Mazda/Ford mix i personally still wouldn't trust it -- now if it was 100% Mazda, like i believe the 8, that wd be a diffent story.

But it wasn't just that the B-3000 was total junk (two engine rebuilds within the first 70K miles -- both after the 50K warranty clocked out), it's that Mazda (who did all the servicing on the truck) did an absolutely bare bottom terrible job for me. Again, i don't want to go into the details, but when you buy a brand new car you expect 1) the factory to put drive bolts in and 2) the dealer to take your concerns seriously about same as opposed to telling you, you don't know how to drive.

Now insofar as feeling sorry for me because i made my decision on the feedback on this forum: Thanks for the sympathy, but it was feedback on this forum, feedback on the Acura forum, discussions with the Mazda mechanics, research on the net, Consumer Reports, etc.

I was actually thinking a 6 or a Jetta and the VW forum convinced me (as well as the other sources) to stay far away from a VW.

As far as i'm concerned you cannot overlook any source of info when you are buying a car and intend on keeping it for a very long time, which is what i intend to do.

Again, i was not slamming the 6 -- i think it's a very sharp car, perhaps sharper then the RSX, i didn't test drive it, but the price is great and my understanding is it's a very nice ride. However, after getting burned very badly on my first Mazda (despite being a Ford in all but name) and seeing this mysterious rust problem situatino and other assorted little things, i opted for the RSX.

Don't mean to vent, but i really only came here to say that your guys were an important source to me in purchasing my car - not a slam on the 6 at all.
  • r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    Mazda's flagship car, the RX-8, does have GPS navigation . . .
    ......lack any real and practical options such as GPS Navigation........

Ummm, I think most would argue that the $1k upgrade to GPS nav in most cars is neither "real" nor "practical" when simple map reading skills and $8 will get you the paper equivalent. Seriously, that's not an option on my buying list anytime soon as I rarely find myself in an area that I'm not familiar with so much that I need such technology.

And sometimes the race for including new technology into cars can seriously bite you in the butt. Look at the debacle that is BMW's iDrive system in the 7 series (and will eventually be in all of their models). The first version of it was so complicated it actually is hurting resale value of those cars. I'm sure 9 out of 10 folks just want simple, clear buttons when it comes to things like turning on the radio, changing stations, or setting a climate temperature. If it requires sub-nav upon sub-nav, it's going to take away from the driving experience (the number one reason you're in the car in the first place).

So I'm sure Mazda will include GPS nav in a future model year since its in the international versions of the 6. But I could care less about it.
    I did say an "some of the feedback of an online forum such as this."

You based your decision hopefully upon *all* of the feedback of the townhall forums you visited, and on top of it went and looked at CR. I think most people go even further and will do a test drive, ask friends and family, and look at a few more reviews in various magazines as well.

I mean, heck, I do that much investigation before I go out and plunk down $1k on a new refrigerator, so you bet I'm going to do at the least the minimal same for a $20k car. Anybody who doesn't do the research isn't being very responsible with their money.
    "You based your decision hopefully upon *all* of the feedback of the townhall forums you visited, and on top of it went and looked at CR. I think most people go even further and will do a test drive, ask friends and family, and look at a few more reviews in various magazines as well."

I read all kinds of car magazines. Hot Rod, Automobile, Sport Compact Car, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Road & Track. Unfortunately, CR and Townhall are really the only places you're going to read about problems with a specific vehicle. Townhall is really good because you get to read about specific problems and you get a pretty good idea of how widespread they are...ie) broken window clips and ignition coils on VWs. I did test drive a couple Jettas. I don't need to ask family or friends because I'm the biggest car nut that I know.
    Thats probably why I wouldn't buy a Tribute because the Mazda dealer wouldn' want to even want to service it because its a Ford.

If you look at the 626's reliability record its ok. Great as a Honda? No but its acceptable. I do see posts on the RSX problems and solution board. All cars have their problems. I don't think every Honda product built is unbreakable.

I'm not knocking anyone I'm just stating my opinion.
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    In 1994, we purchased a Chrysler Intrepid based on a review by Consumer Reports and various other press reviews. CR retracted their positive comments and we later found that the car was extremely problematic and sold it two years later. Had we consulted a forum like this, we probably wouldn't have bought the Intrepid. I would base my next purchase decision heavily on forums like this, the press is becoming less critical of manufactures and base their reviews on how the car drives, not how it handles day to day and year to year life. Even their "long term tests" are suspect, they have various staff borrowing the car for maybe a week, and no one but the company picks up the tab.

Cars are a major investment today, I want to hear from real owners about any problem they have and make a purchase decision based on their comments. This is why I'm extremely critical of Mazda and my Protege when people ask what I think of it, even though I love the car.
    Well cars in 2004 are more reliable than ever before.

Oeners and people have different stories. If you hear enough bad stories you'll probably never buy a car again.

Every car has their problems in my opinion.
  • vkarvkar Member Posts: 28
    What does handling mean? How do I get a feel for whether the handling on my 6i is good or bad? I took it through some twisty roads today, and could easily drive at 40-45 on turns marked for 20-25. Going at higher speeds on these turns didn't feel safe.
    I feel a forward push when my 6i auto changes from the 1st to the 2nd gear, esp when the engine is cold. Is this normal? Is it advisable to drive in this condition, or just wait for the temperature indicator to move from C?
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    How do y'all like the perforated leather seating in the 6? Is it worth the package price? Would you buy it again? Is it really cold in the morning and slippery in the Summer?

Considering a splurge into luxury in my next Mazda.

Thanks,
    Martin
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    According to two dealers I've talked to, this is "normal" for the transmission. My friend's 6i also does this. It's especially bad in cold weather. Even after a 3-5 minute warmup, my 6i is VERY rough changing gears. I was told by the service manager that it is not causing any physical harm to the transmission, as long as you have warmed it up for a couple of minutes before driving.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "Thats probably why I wouldn't buy a Tribute because the Mazda dealer wouldn' want to even want to service it because its a Ford."

The Tribute is not just a re-badged Escape.

Mazda and Ford jointly developed the Escape/Tribute twins. In fact, both are built on heavily modified 626 platforms and the next gen is supposed to be built on the Mazda6 platform.

It's been a while since I read the facts on who did what but I think Mazda did the chassis and suspensions while Ford did the interiors and drivetrain.

There were recalls early on but for the most part both have been very reliable. Recalls aren't a measure of reliability anyway. Stay away if you want. It's your loss. :)
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    I'm enjoying the leather seats very much... they have a good amount of grip for leather and the heated seats don't make coldness and issue in the winter. Honestly, during the summer I rarely found it uncomfortable even with shorts. The steering wheel on the otherhand... gets real cold and real hot. Maybe that's the next option frontier, heated/cooled steering wheels?

Anyway, the material is not really a slippery leather at all. Very gripy for leather. It's not of the same quality as some other leather interiors you'll find say in a BMW. Even the leather on the RX-8 is a more supple grain and texture. But since I bought the leather seats as part of a package, it was sort of an added bonus.

Anyway, sorry for the long explaniation... bottom line, if you like your leather really buttery and supple then don't get it on the 6. If you like the feel, but are not that picky, go with it!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

This coming week's chat on Feb 10 is also going to include a set of trivia questions about the 2004 Mazda models, gleaned from the pages of Edmunds.com! So study up and join us on Tuesday evening!!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    does anybody know if there any chance of the 6 v6 having more hps in 05 or 06, the Honda Accord is 240hp and Mitsubishi Galant 230hp and 250 pound-feet of torque , Nissan Altima 2005 is now pushing 250hp and Toyota Camry se is at 225hp, the Volkswagen Passat is being changed 05 or 06 and the new 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5gt is at 250hp, the sporty Mazda 6 is a shape car with class leading handling but handling is nothing without power, 20-25 more hps is a good look for the 6 i think. a 6 with 245hp, 0-60 in under 6 sec sound good. just dreaming
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Actually, my friend, you have that back asswards. Power is nothing without handling. Unless you only drive in a straight line.

I am willing to bet my house that you haven't driven the Mazda6 yet, or most of the other vehicles either. Horsepower is just a number. A semi trailer has more horsepower than a Nissan Altima, but guess what - it weighs more.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    This whole horsepower thing is getting out of hand - just something for manufacturers to brag about.

The 220 hp in the M6 is plenty for any driving situation. Lots of oomph to accelerate out of trouble, yet not so much power that it is hard to control. It could use a little more torque on the low end, but other than that it's satisfactory.

Once you start putting 300 hp engines in front drive cars, there's a good chance that people are going to lose control when they mash the pedal unless they are paying real close attention.
    I really wish Mazda didn't get into the horsepower war. I know it looks better on paper. However, Mazda used to focus on the power curve (driveability) rather than peak numbers. My ex-Protege ES ('99 FP-DE 1.8L) only peaked at 122hp and 120ft-lbs, but it was evenly spread out over the entire rpm range. Compared to driving a '99 Civic EX, the Protege felt more powerful despite its heavier weight and lower power. That was because the Civic didn't make its power until the tach swung past 5,000rpm. In a straight-line race, the Civic would win. But, in everyday driving and on a road course, the Protege's much broader power band was a big advantage.

One of my biggest gripe with the 6i is that it has very little power down low (under 4,000rpm) where 90% of driving is done. Above 4,000rpm is wonderful. Although this may not be bad with a manual transmission, it is amplified with an automatic transmission, especially one that is relucatant to downshift such as mine (it seems to like being in 3rd or 4th gears at 15mph attempting to climb a grade... you have to floor it to downshift).
    What does handling mean? How do I get a feel for whether the handling on my 6i is good or bad? I took it through some twisty roads today, and could easily drive at 40-45 on turns marked for 20-25. Going at higher speeds on these turns didn't feel safe.
    Handling is a combination of several things: grip, weight transfer, neutrality, roll, steering ratio, feel...

What matters most is how you feel about the car. Take those twisty roads you talked about... then take your car and a Toyota Camry. Sure, both cars can take the turns at 40-45 mph. But how did they feel? Did you feel in control? The car that made you feel more confident is the better handler for you.

Reviewers try to summarize handling using different procedures and methods. They take into account all of those attributes I mentioned above and sum them all up on paper. In the end though, what matters is what made them feel better. A perfect case is the 350Z and RX-8. Sure, the 350Z has more grip and less body roll. But, the RX-8 could do 99% of what the 350Z could with much less effort and much less drama. Which is the better handler? For most people, the RX-8 is because it will let you use its handling capabilities without extensive racetrack experience.

How good is your 6i? The only way for you to find out is to drive different cars through similar situations. If the 6i made you feel confident and secure, then the 6i good. If the 6i, in comparison, scared you and made you feel like you were going to lose control and crash, then the 6i is bad.

These are just my opinions, of course. I hope this helps.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    is to drive different cars. To a large extent, the auto mags can tell you which cars handle better by giving times on slalom tests, or putting out skid pad numbers.

But, until you put yourself in the seat of a car, then drive its competition, you won't know for sure which handles better for what you will use it for.

It is pretty well accepted that the M6 is one of the best handling midsize sedans on the road. After you drive it, there probably won't be many others in its price segment that compare. For example, the roads you felt "safe" driving at 45 mph in the M6 might feel unsafe if you were driving a Camry.

But, that is for you to decide. So go to the dealers, ask for test drives, and get to work! :)

Jstand: Sorry if this sounds redundant, but your post came up while I was writing mine.
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    Now driving a '99 626 with the old 2.5 litre Six [170 HP @6k; Torque 163 @5k]. Soon "stepping down" to the new 2.3 Four [160 HP @5500; torque 155 @4k].

Never been interested in being the fastest kid on the block, so the 2.5 litre 6 has always been plenty for me: a little weak down low but pretty nice higher up (beginning to sound like a constant Mazda trait). Given the specs comparo above it seems as if I'm not going to notice a huge difference. Or will I?
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Funny, I will be making the same switch in engines when I buy go from a 97 Contour V6 (same engine as 626), to the 2.3 4 cyl., but in the Mazda3 instead of the Mazda6. I agree with you that the 2.5 V6 is a little slow of the line ( I drive an auto) but is a very good engine overall. In my Mazda3 test drive, I was surprised how responsive the 2.3 was down low, even with the auto, but since the Mazda6 is heavier it probably won't feel quite the same as the Mazda3, but adequate nonetheless.

Do you need the room of the Mazda6 (e.g. family, frequent backseat passengers etc.), because the Mazda3 is a very good alternative that would be satisfy most people's needs for power. Plus I think that the room is very good for people up to 6' in the rear seat ( even in the sedan).

The only way to know if the 4 cyl Mazda6 will be adequate is to test drive it, along with the Mazda3 if it could be a satisfactory alternative.
    After driving the Mazda3, the Contour certainly felt a lot heavier, but with sufficient power.

Good luck in your search.
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    February 09, 2004 - SIRIUS announced that the satellite service is expected to be available as a dealer-installed option in the Mazda Tribute, MPV, Miata, RX-8, MAZDA3 and MAZDA6--all by fall of this year.

All of these Mazda vehicles will have factory-equipped radios that display artist, song title and category when playing SIRIUS. To obtain the SIRIUS service, a tuner and antenna must be installed by the dealer, and a subscription to SIRIUS must be purchased. Pricing will be announced at a later date.

SIRIUS will provide Mazda drivers with 61 commercial-free music streams and 44 sports, news and entertainment streams, including live play-by-play games from the NBA, NHL, and beginning next football season, the NFL.

SIRIUS is expected to be available on additional Mazda vehicle lines in the near future.
    I am not sure what Mazda did here, or why they did it. The 2.3L in both cars must be tuned differently. In the 6, the 2.3L feels weak at low RPMs. In the 3, it is really strong no matter where the tach is. Then again, it may have nothing to do with the engine tuning at all... it could be as simple as the electronic throttle settings.

The electronic throttle in the 6 never seems to let you have full power off-the-line and my be too conservative. In my ex-99 Protege ES (5-spd), current 03 Protege5 (auto), and the current loaner 04 Hyundai Elantra, getting up to speed on short uphill on-ramps is no problem. In my 6i (auto), these are a challenge until the tach gets past 4000rpm. I miss old cable throttle linkages... sure, the electronic throttle is smooth, helps to prevent jerky take-offs and wheelspin, and isolates the engine's NVH from the driver. However, the loss of full control is a disappointment. My dealer's service department said there is a backup should the electronic throttle fail... anyone know what that backup is?

As for the 2.5L V6 and the 2.3L 4-cyl... power-wise, they will probably be pretty similar. What you'll miss is the overall relaxed nature and smoothness of the V6, but you'll enjoy the better fuel economy.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    I noticed the same thing. The difference seemed to be more than just what the weight would account for. The 2.3L feels just right in the Mazda3, but not in the Mazda6.
    "Funny, I will be making the same switch in engines when I buy go from a 97 Contour V6 (same engine as 626)"

Same displacement, different engine. The 2.5L in the Contour is a Ford Duratec. The 2.5L in the 626 is a Mazda engine.
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    Somewhat reassuring, what you say.

I've got a manual in my '99 626, and will also have one with my 6i. I haven't ordered the auto, which I've gathered from your previous remarks ain't too sweet with the 2.3. Perhaps I can hope for performance more similar between the 2.5 and 2.3 because it'll be coupled with a manual? As I said, I don't need to be the fastest boy off the line, but it would be nice to get on a freeway (almost) as quickly as I do with the Six, which is pretty sweet in 4th gear.

BTW, despite the fact that that 626 is about as vanilla a car imaginable, it's been the best one I've ever owned. Still going on the original exhaust system (!), battery and brakes. It never breaks. Apart from maintenance, it has cost us little more than $200 in actual repairs over 103 K. Built in, yes, Flat Rock, folks. Gonna keep it; my wife wants it. She only puts about 8K a year on a car. Should save some money on gas, since the old 2.5 Six required 91 octane.
    "I can hope for performance more similar between the 2.5 and 2.3 because it'll be coupled with a manual? As I said, I don't need to be the fastest boy off the line, but it would be nice to get on a freeway (almost) as quickly as I do with the Six, which is pretty sweet in 4th gear."

Go drive a 6i manual right now. You'll be surprised.
  • madaxemanmadaxeman Member Posts: 8
    The '04 6s requires regular gasoline. The comparable models from other makes require premium. Is it a waste to use premium in the new 6s?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Yes, premium is a waste of money.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.