Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    1) age
    if you are 18-29 of age youthful mz3

2) space
    if you need more room as a driver or like a mid- size car feel mz6

3)Options/price
    a load mz3 or a base 6i, the mz3 more bang for your buck

4)engine 2.3
    the mz3 top of the line engine for the mz3 and the mz3 is lighter

IMO the 6i is waste now that the cheaper 3s is around, the base 3s hatch and sedan is load with alloy wheels, sportier interior, sport grill, brake away side mirrors, clear tail light and Options like leather, ABS, moon, nav for around 21k fully load if thats what you want.

the 6i fully load for around 25k but you may get a deal for it inpopuler

but it all on your taste and likes the 3s may be to sporty, 6i to big

IMO ask the same questions on the mazde3 town hall site , check out the discussion mazda6 vs mazda3, test drive both, and compare both using edmunds site.

either way you will get a good car
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    i don't think that is mazda's 2.3L.?!
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    1) the dealer said that Mazda6 orders are about 75%/25% 6 vs. 4 cylinder. Why is this the opposite of Accord/Camry ratio?

The Accord and Camry 6cyl are not available with a manual trans, so that turns away a lot of 6cyl shoppers. Also, I think Mazda expected the sales ratio to be the same as for those others, and it isn't, so they gotta order more 6cyl cars.

2) for the type of driving that I do, would you rather have the M3 or 4-cylinder M6?

It's a personal thing, so I would suggest a couple of back-to-back test drives. Keep in mind that the Mazda6 has consiferably less road noise, it that is a factor for you. IMO the Mazda3 is "zoomier" around town, but for a lot of freeway driving the Mazda6 is better..

3) how does M3 quality look vs. M6?

MAzda3 is made in Japan but has some significant "first year" problems, The Mazda6 is made in the US and has first year problems as well. I think it's a wash there.

4) is the 4-cyliner M6 powerplant considered a state-of the art engine?

Yes, absolutely.

PS: The real "M3" is a BMW so it's best not to use that abbreviation for the Mazda3.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    MZ3 seems to work well. :)
    Yes, I agree, in fact I think Mazda should have named these cars the MZ3 and MZ6 (to go with the RX8, etc), but don't get me started on that one again!

As is is we have the Mazda Mazda3 and Mazda Mazda6. What? Don't make me say that after a couple of beers.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Yep, same 2.3L engine that's in the Focus, Escape (new for this year), Ranger, future Futura....it's in the Mazda3/6 since Mazda designed it. I can give you a few links from Ford about the technical aspects of that engine.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Heh, I agree ... on all counts! :)
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    If it's not too much trouble wd. you post the links? Many thanx
    I'm not happy with these links though, they aren't exactly the article I'm looking for. I'm currently using a friends computer for a minute, while the new one will be delivered on friday, so I wasn't able to spend much time hunting for the correct link.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=17139

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=17010
    Ah, here's the one I was looking for....

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13626

Source: Ford Media
    To put your mind at ease, the 2.3L I-4 was Mazda designed, and so far has shown very reliable. The 3.0L V6 is really a Ford Duratec, but Mazda implemented their own heads, and a few other parts. The Duratec has been very reliable for Ford which is why they have used it in so many of their products, even Jaguar (which have fitted their own heads as well). Or even for Aston Martin, which it's 5.9L/6.0L V-12 is 2 3.0L V6's stacked end to end.
  • pazakpazak Member Posts: 16
    I can vouche for the Ford Duratec 3.0 motor. I have been driving a 2000 sable for the past 4 years and its well powered and reliable. A little loud under hard throttle but thats not necessarily a bad thing. I expect Mazda will make good with it.

I am within hours of trading in my sable on a new 6s ( the deal is pending ). As much as I am in love with the 6 now, I would have bought another Sable if Ford had done some re-freshening of the design.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/stang15_20040315.htm

I found this article very interesting (mainly because I'm currently in the market for a new Mustang and formerly for a Mazda6) and thought all you Mazda6 owners/shoppers would be too.

Maybe all the folks who doubt the "stain" is gone will see the Flat Rock plant in a new light. ;)
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I would have bpught another Sable if Ford had done some refreshening of the design."

I thought Ford did refresh the Sable for the 04 model year: the tailights look a little different than the 03 model.
  • pazakpazak Member Posts: 16
    Yeah they did tweak it a bit inside and out, but very little. I like the style of the Sable , but not enough to spend another four years "shacked up" with one. I need a new girl in my drive way. Preferably a sexy little 6s dolled up in a short steel gray leather mini-skirt.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    Yesterday I saw a 6 in this light gold color. What color was that?
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    My guess would be Pebble Ash. It is nice.
  • twinturbotimtwinturbotim Member Posts: 26
    Since I am worried about the reliability of this car, I decided I would buy an extended warranty. Does anybody have an idea of how much it would cost to add 5 more years on so its a 10 year warranty? Or at best 7 years?
    Not sure on the cost, but you should only buy the Mazda extended warranty, and keep in mind that the price on these is negotiable.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    You can buy an extended warrenty any time during the factory warrenty period. Why hurry and have your money tied up for so long? Also more time to get information on warrenties.

fowler3
  • oldsroyaleoldsroyale Member Posts: 11
    My car got stolen, so I went and test drove the 3 and the 6.

I know that the throttle lag issue on the Mazda 6 has been debated ad naseum, but I have to say that I noticed it right away during the test drive. I wish that Mazda would have been able to correct the issue by now. It takes away from the overall driving experience, which is a shame. Otherwise, I liked just about everything else.
  • thegreatvudinithegreatvudini Member Posts: 103
    That's when you put the manumatic gears into play and have fun. Make sure you listen to the agreesive growl as you redline your baby.

vudini
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Wow. I'm in LA right now and I have a rental Focus with the 2.3L PZEV motor. It's pretty darn quick, even with an automatic. Overall, I'm very impressed with it. Drove it to Vegas this weekend and it handled the mountains without any problems. The power is good, the ride is good, and the handling is good. My friend had a Cavalier with the new 2.2L ecotec for a rental and it's a little quicker, but overall the Focus is ten times better.

The 2.3L makes the Focus a very desirable vehicle IMO, especially if it had a manual.
    I have driven the Mazda3 and Mazda6 each several times and have not noticed any lag, and I'm picky about such things.
  • zorzor Member Posts: 24
    oldsroyale,

Were you driving the 4-cylinder 6i or the 6-cylinder 6s?

-Zor
    I drove the 6s auto. (after driving the 3s auto)
    I drove both and didn't notice any lag. And I was looking for it. Maybe it's any issue with some early computer code.
    Hmm, I have a friend that owns the 6s manual, and he told me that he and his wife didn't notice it. He heard about it, looked for it, and said it was ok. So who knows?
    I am very picky when it comes to lag, so much so that I don't even like the so-called "almost no turbo lag" of most late model turbo engines.
    If I had noticed any lag on any of the many Mazda6 samples that I have driven, this would have been a deal-killer for me.
    I suspect a computer code problem on some early units, or maybe some totally different problem that people are attributing to the electronic throttle.
    Or maybe people expect the Mazda6 to have the launch of a GM 3.8L V6, which it aint ever gonna have.
  • sweetsixteensweetsixteen Member Posts: 40
    Although it may seem a small problem, it is very troublesome for me. As some of you might be aware, I am only sixteen years old. The problem I am experiencing is that I am worried that the Mazda will attract the wrong attention (aka cops) I cant get one ticket or I dont have insurance anymore, its a long story. I was considering getting the hatchback which will premier later this year. My other option and one I am not too fond of is spending it all and getting an Acura TSX. Dont start the argument of Im only 16, Ive gone there, but if u want to start it up again start it later. Do u think that the 6s hatch is really sporty enough to catch the attention of the law? Thanks
    The only thing sporty enough to catch the attention of cops is your big, right foot! Keep that under control and you will be fine.

fowler3
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    As someone who works in local law enforcement (not as a police officer, however), it's your driving style and speed that will attract attention. You will also attract attention by putting illegal modifications on your car.

Young people who receive tickets in our city (16-20) get tickets because they are driving TOO FAST or recklessly for the conditions.
    No, and if you don't break any laws it wouldn't matter if it did, would it? If you wanna know what car you should you buy so you can speed and run red lights without getting ticket, good luck cause there are none.
  • sweetsixteensweetsixteen Member Posts: 40
    Im not a speeder. Sure I have a tendency to go 2 or 3 over, but I just want a car thats fun to drive and has a sporty attraction to it. No Im not putting mods on and no Im not racing or running red lights. Im just worried cuz there gonna see a sixteen year old kid driving a 25k sports sedan. Easy money for the munincipality. How bad is it to go two or 3 over?
    It's only easy money for the municipality if you're speeding, and that's more than 2 or 3 over. You must be joking though, nobody goes only 2 or 3 over.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    I've driven three Mazdas since I was 16 and can honestly say they weren't cop magnets. Mazda's don't stick out too much from the crowd. Stick with earth tones that blend into the environment and/or road.

The Mazda 6 blends in well. This is actually a complement. Its design is not earth-shattering; however it is a slight cut above other conservative mid-size cars in NA.

Mazdas truly shine beneath their skins;

MARTIN
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    Let's be honest. It's not the car that attracts cops, it's the age of the driver. A cop is just itching to whack you with a ticket, regardless of what you're driving. But were you to choose, the Acura is a bigger cop target than the 6.
    Sweetsixteen, keep it down and you will make it to sweetseventeen and older. Two or three over, I don't believe it!

It's darting in and out of lanes, weaving through traffic at high speeds, cutting across lanes from far right to left turns, and other dangerous manuvers that get you in trouble.

I'm an old geezer, you know why? Because I never drive like a teenager and if you drive sensibly too, some day, if you are lucky, you will be an old geezer, too. Here's another thing to think about, if you want to be a suicide bomber on wheels go out into the countryside where you can't hurt other people.

fowler3
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Hey, I've owned two bright-red cars and never got a ticket in either! The only ticket I've ever gotten was in a light-blue metallic Thunderbird, a long, long time ago, when I was trying to keep up with a friend going up to Tahoe.

It's mostly how you drive, as others have already pointed out. Going too slowly will get attention almost as much as going too quickly. Wandering (as if drunk) will also get attention. Just try not to stick out from the crowd.

In some states, not wearing seat belts (including your passengers) is a reason for cops to pull you over. In some neighborhoods, loud stereos or exhausts are allowable reasons.

Go ahead and laugh, but I rarely go more then 2-3 mph over the limit on local roads too (often I'm below or at it, especially in areas where children or animals may suddenly enter the road). I seek my thrills in the curves (you can have a heck of a time and still be well-below the speed limit...just don't go off the road or cross into opposing traffic), not in outright speed (straights are awful boring on any road, unless the road has nice scenery). Even on curves, I go no faster than I feel confident I can brake/avoid an unexpected obstacle like a stopped vehicle, pedestrian or deer (going only as fast as I can "see"). On more-heavily trafficked roads, like freeways, I tend to follow the 80/20 rule: I pass or keep up with 80% of the traffic and let about 20% pass me. Unless the vehicle I'm passing is going awfully slowly (like a heavy truck on an incline), I usually keep my speed differential to about 10mph or less, in case a careless or inattentive driver gets startled by my approach or decides to move over into my lane.

Driving like this, you should be able to drive practically anything and not get undue attention from the police (and a 6 hatch isn't conceivably out of a 16-year-old's league...police do make judgement calls about whether they think a driver matches the vehicle...however, dress and personal grooming are bigger if not larger factors than age).
  • cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    sweetsixteen-
    All kinds of things being posted from all kinds of drivers who think they know how cops think... take it from a street cop of 18+ years, mazdafun's post 16403, and fowler3's post 16402 are all you need to know about and are the ones that are correct. I've run traffic my whole career, and you know the thing that attracts me to speeders-SPEED, d'uh!!
    An experienced cop will "hear" the vehicle comimg long before he sees it, engine racing, or even the sound of tires rolling at 85 instead of 65 is very distinct. Trust me on this one, don't drive like and idiot, and you won't have a problem. It's that simple. To say that certain colors attract the attention of an officer may be correct, but we don't give out tickets to cars that attract our attention. I've never gone out and run speed and said to myself, hmmm today I'll only time red cars. I time them all and cite the ones that are speeding. No mystery there.
    BTW-my "fastest" ticket was issued to a sixteen year old going 121 mph on a Sunday morning driving... his grandmother's POWDER BLUE Dodge Diplomat. The fact that he was going 66 mph over the speed limit attracted my attention, not the color. (135+ mph sport bike in heavy traffic was the fastest that "got away")
    Here in PA we can't even begin to cite unless you are 5 over, and all officers that I know, and I know a lot don't even begin to write until someone is 12 over. I generally don't until someone is 15 over. On the interstates this margin is usually higher still. Many times while on I-80 going to pick my daughter up from college I've winced as I've passed a trooper at 75+ and have yet to be pulled over. For the record-redfire 6, generally waxed to the deepest mirror finish I can attain!!
    The last time that I received a traffic ticket (Yes, we get them too) I was in NYC trying to go around the block to find a parking garage and I was cited for an illegal turn. I got the ticket for a traffic violation, not because of what I was driving, which happened to be a blue Dodge Caravan ;-P at the time.

Sorry PAT I know that this is off the subject, but as an officer I couldn't resist...
    Thank you!

Saving Sweetsixteen from starting out on the wrong foot -- the right one -- I don't think Pat_HOST will mind. ;) After all, he IS, or will be, driving a Mazda6.

As you said, hearing the engines and tires, may be part of the problem. New Mazda owners may be coming from older cars that are noisey and speed in their much quieter 6's trying to hear their engines. You know how quiet your Redfire is.

When I took a 6 for a test drive that's what happened to me, I kept increasing speed unconsciously expecting engine noise to be 65mph, as it is in my Protegé -- I was going 85mph, still didn't hear the engine. Slowed to 65 and enjoyed the ride. I think it would take a while to get use to that.

fowler3
  • likaglovlikaglov Member Posts: 82
    Just bought my 6s-AT last week and I have my first question as an owner... The AT seems to shift-up pretty quickly, it's in fifth gear by about 45 MPH. Watching the tach, it shifts at about 2500 RPM and only drops to about 2250 RPM in the new gear, then repeats this process up to fifth gear.

Does this AT have a learning function or sport mode? I didn't really notice this in my test drives. I've been driving MT for the past 12 years and prefer to shift with higher RPM. I do appreciate the manual-matic function. Can't wait to get out of "break in".
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    Press the accelerator down farther, and it will wait to shift until it's at a higher RPM. If you floor it, the car should nearly redline before it shifts. Of course, you don't want to do that until it's broken in.

It does "learn" your driving style, but if you don't step on the gas more it will be learning the wrong way!
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    I have an '03 6, and I would like to know what kind of wax to use on my car. When my boyfriend detailed it, he used Meguire, and it came out pretty well, but is there any better wax I can use on my car?
    Try Meguire's polish over the wax to get a bright shine. Wax protects the paint, polish makes it shine. ;)

fowler3
  • jkstew1jkstew1 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know when the Mazda6 5 dr hatchback will be going on sell? Will it be a 2004 model?
    Now.
    Yes.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Check the inventories, it's out there.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The hatches are on the lots and are absolutely amazing. They look almost identical to the sedans.

Only problem is, they don't appear to be dealing on them at all yet.