Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Mazda, like everyone else, will check its inventory, note recent sales trends, and make its decision based on those factors. Currently, the rebate is $1,500, which isn't bad.

I looked at a couple hatches on Saturday for the first time, and they are beautiful. The problem for me, as it has always been, is finding a model configured the way I'd like. All I want is side curtains and a sunroof, which is possible with the hatch, but good luck finding one configured that way on the lots. I'm hesitant to place an order because there are so many variables before delivery.

Incentives will always vary, but I believe these cars are a good deal with a $1,500 rebate. Remember, if you are a recent college graduate, you can get an extra $500 from Mazda. (But, if your name is accurate, you are probably a couple years away from college graduation, right?)
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Just thought I would stop by with my once in a Blue Moon update.

Turned 18,000 today. Had the rotors turned at 16,800. Picked up a vibration after a pad grinding stop cresting a hill one afternoon. Did I mention how much I love the brakes on this auto? Otherwise it is still perfect.

I love this automobile more each day. The Duratec is a gem, and the AT seems to be holding up well. I average around 21-22 mpg 60/40 C/H with a medium foot. It drops quickly with RPM's. I still run Mobil1 0-20 with a K&N HP-2010 filter. This oil holds up very well in this engine.

I leave my garage each morning with the same grin I had on 5/3/03.

Anyway, I'll report back at 20,000.

Mark. : )
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    I live in Maryland and the last two weeks have been really hot. Before I got this car, I had a crappy Kia Sephia whose ac was freezing, and I loved it. I guess I got used to the freezing ac, because this one never gets really cold. I can drive for 30 minutes and still have it on high without getting cold. I was just wondering if anyone felt like this or had this problem.
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    I also have an 2004S V6 and was thinking of switching to Mobil 1 0w20 and a K&N air filter,but was a little hesitant because of the Info. I read about the K&N not filtering as much dirt as it claims. I also would like some feedback on using M1 on this engine. Thanks.
  • shov6shov6 Member Posts: 177
    So... No, I have not had this problem. Even on 80deg+ days in Indiana.

Do you have the recirculating function going? Using only outside air will limit the amount of cold air you get.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I second that. My wife is often closing the vents on her side because it's so cold at times. With or without the recirc function turned on.
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    I wish I had goosebumps when the a/c is on. It gets hot here in Maryland, but goodness, we've only gotten to about 90 this year. I will investigate some, because with us have cicadas this year and me beign scared of them, I will have on the a/c ALL summer, regardless of how much gas costs. I have tried just about everything, still not cold. Someone said it may be hard because I have black leather interior, I don't know. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    I live in FL and as everyone knows it gets pretty hot here. I have used my AC on fairly hot days (90 degrees) and it seems to have no problem keeping the interior cold. I also have black leather.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rcatiggayrcatiggay Member Posts: 7
    I too have been looking at the hatchback 6i. But there hardly any to be found, if your lucky to find one in the configuration you want great otherwise wait another 3-4 months when the next batch comes in.

I wish on the 6i that it's possible to get just side curtains and a moonroof. But you have to buy all these other packages just to get what you want, totally sucks...
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    Amen, brother.

I was 'aweepin an''awailin a lot over this when I was shopping for the 6i sedan.

But I love the car and I'm getting over it. It's unconscionable on Mazda's part to use pricing policy to actively discourage consumers from equipping their vehicles with the latest safety equipment. I feel strongly about that. But I ponied up in the end. They got me.

And the more time passes between the present and the day I wrote the check at the dealer, the less I dwell on it. So they really got me! I didn't want the sport pak or the moon or the Bose or even the 17" tires, but I ended up with them. And now I even can say to myself that I like having the Bose sometimes and the sportpak does include fog-lights which are actually useful. The moon and the 17" tires I could still do without. But hey, that's life.

Bite the bullet or try to find another car that you can accept. That's the choice I had to make. Good luck!
    It's not just Mazda. Try to find any manufacturer who has more than one or two 4 cylinder, side-curtain, ABS equipped sedans on the lots. It's next to impossible. Honda comes the closest, and even it has few 4's with side curtains unless you pop for the luxury package. This will probably change in a year or two, but boy, it sure is frustrating.

I am torn between the overall excellence of the Accord and Camry and the sportiness of the Altima and the MZ6. Each has its strengths. The things causing me pause on the 6, aside from the packaging, is the relative lack of low-end torque in both motors and the smaller seating area in the rear. Just wish I could make up my mind, and then find a car configured the way I like.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    You can't buy a Passat or Legacy 4-cyl without side curtain airbags and abs.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Our local Mazda dealership has a new leftover 03 Mazda 6 with a V6, auto transmission, and power sunroof. The car sticker is about $ 23.5K and it is discounted $6K, so the sale price is $ 17.5K. This looks like a good deal, but I am concerned about the rust issues on the 03's and I am not sure if this particular car has these problems too.(Can you tell by the date of manufacture?) I currently own a '99 626 ES V6 with a manual transmission and I get about 25 MPG in combined driving with A/C on, with rather heavy foot driving. Looks like Mazda 6 V6 models get lower mileage than that. Do you need to use premium gas in the 6? It is not required in my 626, but recommended, and I get better fuel economy, so I run it on premium.

What kind of RPMs does the 6 V6 auto model run at 80 MPH in top gear? My 626 is geared very low and is taching almost 4K RPM at 80 MPH in 5th gear.
    Yes, you're right about the Passat. But, I don't want to risk the reliability problems that seem to plague VW. I have a neighbor with a 2003 Passat and that thing lives at the dealership service bays.

The Legacy is an interesting car, but I don't need the AWD and it is pretty small. The MZ6 is much better for what I need it for.

P100: The price isn't bad, and the rust stain issue seems to have been solved. There are a couple of warranty repairs that all 03s needed, so you should check into that before you buy. Can't help you on the performance issue, but you are unlikely to get the same gas mileage that you enjoy with your 626. On the other hand, the 6 is in a different league as far as performance and style.
    The Legacy and Mazda 6 are almost identical in size. I don't need AWD either, and would prefer a Legacy without it, but the '05 is much more efficient than the '04 - EPA 23/30 even with AWD.

VW has some issues, but the Passat remains average in reliability according to Consumer Reports.
  • akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    p100- What town do you live near that has these 2003 6s's? I'd love to get my hands on one (Steel Grey, natch) for that price!

I'm still on the sidelines waiting for the right time to get my 6. I'm finally making enough money to pony up for more than just the base 6i. The two factors that are plaguing my decision- besides being in the negative on my loan, and waiting to own a place with a garage to house my baby- is: manual or automatic, and (now) hatchback or sedan. After owning a hatch for over a year (VW Golf), it has been a blessing for moving to a new home and just hauling stuff around. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about the standard Sports package, rear passenger window treatment (looks too different from the Atenza hatch I fell in love with) and the bumper. Despite the different side profile, I can make do. It's been a year and a half since I first test drove a 6s, and it's maddening to see them more and more everyday! I want my 6!
    I agree. It would be nice if the hatch was available without the sports package.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    Hello? Anyone posting here anymore? I can remember when 40 or more posts per day were the norm here. I guess some got tired of their hobby, or maybe they went to another Mazda board. Well anyway, does anyone know why Mazda has short throw manuals in the Miata and RX-8, but not the 6? Is their some ergonomic reason why the longer throws in the 6 make more sense?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Good thing you do not own a 626 like I do - this forum is great compared to the 626 forum, which is boring at best.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Let's see, almost 17000 posts on a car that's been out less than 2 years. I actually feel bad for someone starting out now to get some info on the car, good luck and read onnnnnnnnnn.
  • sweetsixteensweetsixteen Member Posts: 40
    Do you think Mazda will keep its current incentives through the end of June?

God Bless Our Veterans....
    I spoke to a salesman on Monday evening. I was trying to find a 6s with a sunroof and was ready to buy, but he didn't have any on the lot. I asked about the incentives, and he said he did not see them going away anytime soon.

In fact, he said the wagon now has a $1,500 rebate. I'm in Florida. The incentives might be different where you are.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Does anybody know the current sales figures for the MZ6 sedan, hatch, and wagon? What is selling more? Are they reaching their sales goals?

Just curious... Rich?

Thanks,
    MARTIN
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I'd assume that the Miata and RX-8 have shift levers that go through the floor and have a direct linkage to the tranny. I know for a fact that the 6 shifter is mounted above the floor and connected to cables that then go through the floor to the tranny. If you wanted to get a shorter throw, you'd either have to take the shift knob off and cut the lever down (not a good idea) or take the shifter apart and fabricate your own lever (even worse of an idea). Or, if the brackets at the other end of the cables (on the tranny) are exposed, you could fabricate longer ones to give you an increased mechanical advantage. Otherwise, if the aftermarket comes out with a short throw shifter, it'll be an entire replacement shifter.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "I'd assume that the Miata and RX-8 have shift levers that go through the floor and have a direct linkage to the tranny."

They do, and that's why those shifters have better feel. Generally, any manual transmission RWD car has better shift feel than a manual transmission FWD car because the shifter goes directly into the tranny instead of going through a bunch of cables and/or linkages. I don't think this has anything to do with how long the throws are though. My Mustang 5.0L had long throws.

"If you wanted to get a shorter throw, you'd either have to take the shift knob off and cut the lever down (not a good idea)"

I'm curious, why is this a bad idea? I had a sawed-off ghetto short throw shifter in my Integra and never had any problems with it. I sawed it down a couple inches. My friend has it now and it's got over 180,000 miles on it. Original clutch too.
  • cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    I too am wondering why just taking a dremel tool, to the spot welded washer on the shaft (there to keep the boot at its present spot)and then just cutting the shaft down. I was thinking about doing this one myself, but am now wondering-why would it not be a good idea? What would it hurt??
    I would think that you'd have to be very careful about not messing the threads up, but other than that, why wouldn't it work.
    newcar31-how did this affect your integra as far as "feel"?
    I did it when I ordered a new shift knob. I figured, might as well saw it down while I have it off. The Integra still shifted the same, but the shifter didn't look like a pickup-truck shifter anymore. I did it more for looks than anything. Of course, the throws were shorter, but the shift quality was still Integra-excellent.

On the Integra, there was also a washer to keep the boot up against the shift knob, but I sawed that off too. The shifter was tapered, so the boot fell down the shifter as far as it could until the taper held it up. Threads? I sawed most of those off. Because of this, you will probably need an aftermarket shift knob that doesn't need to be threaded on. An aftermarket knob similiar to the factory knob in the Mazda6 is gonna be spendy, but you might be able to leave enough threads on for the factory knob. I dunno.

The only precautions I took was making sure the metal shavings didn't fall down where they shouldn't be and put the shifter in neutral. I just put part of a plastic garbage bag over the shifter when I was sawing it off to keep the shavings out of bad places.

As far as the Mazda6 is concerned, the shifter doesn't look as truckish as my Integra's did, so I think I'm going to leave it alone for now. I also like the stock shift knob better than most of the aftermarket knobs. The Mazda6 has one of the nicest factory shift knobs of any car IMO.
  • cop414cop414 Member Posts: 68
    It looks like you could take off about an inch of the threaded portion and still have anough left to grip the factory knob. Also like I said the washer would have to go, because it keeps the boot up, which doesn't let the knob come down any further.
    I'm having the clutch repalced as soon as the parts come in (to rid my car of the dreaded clutch shudder), then I think I'll give it a try, unless in the meantime someone can give me a good reason not to.
    I hope I don't ever need a new clutch. I don't know if I could handle my brand new car having major surgery. I've had 7 manual transmission cars, some of them quite a bit past 100,000 miles, and none of them ever needed a clutch.

Like I mentioned before, my Integra that I sold to a friend has over 180,000 miles on it now with the original clutch. I don't know if that's because Honda makes a good clutch, or if I'm easy on clutches, or both.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I was making the assumption of cutting the threads off, which would require an aftermarket knob, unless the OEM is not threaded on.

You guys are all correct though, it won't hurt to take a little off the top, just as long as you can get the knob back on. In my civic, I bought a Neuspeed short throw shift kit and to prevent the boot from falling down, I just took one of my wife's hair ties (fabric covered rubber band)and wrapped it around the lever a few times until it was tight. Then, when I installed the console on top, I just pulled the hair tie up against the underside of the boot and it holds it snug against the knob.
    Hard to believe how the posts here have dried up.

Well, maybe some of you can help me. After about 18 months of indecision, I've finally decided to go with a Mazda 6. The decision now is the 4 or 6.

For gas mileage (I do a lot of running around in town) I'd like to get the 4, but we often use my car as the family hauler which means four people and a lot of stuff. There, the 6 would come in handy.

I know this question has been asked before, but are you 4 cylinder owners satisfied with the performance of that powerplant, or should I go ahead and get the 6?
    Auto or manual?

I have a manual 6i and it's plenty for me. To keep things in perspective, a manual 6i is about equal in acceleration to the last generation Accord and Camry V6 automatics and the Mazda6s automatic.

Around town, I get 24-26 mpg and on the highway (constant 80-85 mph) I get 31-32 mpg.

I drove the V6 and decided I couldn't live with sub 20 mpg tanks. 20/20 hindsight tells me that was probably a good decision.
    I was planning on buying a 6s hatck manual at the end of june, but NO ONE has them in inventory. I wanted to get it at the end of june so that i could get inventory rollover deals, but I need the car first. Why cant they make more manuals?
  • livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    once you drive the 6s w/ manual it's hard to accept any other combination. It's so smooth, revs so well and sounds so good... do wish the mileage were better, though.

What more can be said about this car, I wonder? Many of its competitors' boards are filled with complaints about quality control and a variety of problems. For me, at this stage in the 6's life cycle, no news is good news.

CL
    I went for a ride in the first 6 at one of the local dealers here, it was a silver with the sport package, 5sp manual V6. After the dealers started to get some inventory, I drove the V6 manual 2 different times from 2 different dealers. They didn't have a manual 6i to try out, but it didn't matter because I was hooked on the 6s for the same reasons that livaudais cites.

When the incentives were too good to pass up (June 03), I headed to Mazda dealer. They had a couple 6i manuals and I figured I should at least try it. The 4 cyl is also smooth, revs well, and sounds really nice for a 4 cyl. The V6 is sweet, but I really think people should try the 4 cyl too if you're getting a manual. I think my experience with a gas guzzling Mustang makes me appreciate fuel efficiency more than usual.
    I've got to go with the automatic. I drove the stick and it is sweet, but I spend too much time idling in elementary school parking lots to mess with the clutch. The auto-stick works fine for me. I happened to speak to my brother this evening and he said he rented a 6 on a business trip in the D.C. area. Said it handled well but the ride was a bit stiff, and it was pretty good on gas mileage.

Sweet16: Haven't seen any i hatch sticks around here (Orlando) either, although there is a very nice s hatch with manual, leather and side curtains on the lot at my local dealer. Sticker is just over 27K. For that kind of money I would be looking at an Acura TSX...
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Here's my opinion and the reason I ended up with a 6s. Take it with a grain of salt. :)

I originally drove an '03 6i MTX due to the lack of MTX 6s' in our area last Fall. Great car! Plenty of power in most situations, sounds great, a bit more tossable than the 6s, and very smooth. However, the weather had not changed when I drove it and it was a pretty hot day. Think high eighties/low nineties. We had the A/C on and three adults on board (including me as the driver).

Now I live in an area with a lot of steep hills and always make sure to test drive vehicles up and down some of them. The 6i did struggle somewhat on a lot of the hills which made the driving experience a little annoying due to the constant shifting. Since I have to climb large hills all the time, and the family has grown to three (add extra weight for all the baby gear in the huge trunk too) the V6 MTX became a necessity (I drove a 6s ATX too but didn't want to settle for that tranny so I waited for the '04s).

So IMO it would be wise to consider what I've said above, or at least take a really thorough test drive of both before pulling the trigger. The extra $$ I spend for gas is worth it so long as I'm not frustrated by the driving experience. I'm definitely 100% satisfied with my choice. :)
    I'd definitely get the V6 if you need an automatic, especially with the new 6sp auto that the 2005s will have.
    I have a 04 and was wondering what changes there are for 05 on the 6s. How do you know there will be a 6sp trans. for 05?
    I heard about it on the other Mazda6 message board.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    here are some of the MZ6 changes for 2005

there will be 3 versions of the 'i' model
    -base
    -sport
    -grand touring

's' model
    -sport
    -grand touring

There will be a 6 speed auto trans that will be available on some versions, but I'm not clear on the mix yet.

ABS and traction will be standard on the 'i'

Tire pressure montoring system will be available on all versions..std on some.

all get pass. side weight sensor airbag.

side airbags/curtains optional on base 'i' std on sport and GT. Std on 's' models

sport grill std on all sport models

sirius compatible audio std on all models

delete gray interior with blazing copper

For 2004 there are 108 different build combo's...2005 will reduce the number to 57 different build combo's.

The first 2005 allocation runs 6/17 for Aug. production cars and september/october delivery
    Anyone have ne idea on price differences for the 05's? Is it worth to wait for them to come out or should I get the 04 and save a little?
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    You must mean exterior. A blazing copper interior? whow...
    ABS and Traction control standard. That is very nice to see. Now it should be easy to find manual tranny ABS non sport. Any word if the wagon will get the 4-cylinder engine?
    Wagon will remain V6 only
  • taddisontaddison Member Posts: 99
    Hi Rich, I personlly think the new build levels and option packages make a lot of sense.

Any word on when the 5-door will change over to 2005? Same time as the sedan or later?
    same time frame.
  • jeanniejeannie Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the 6s twice before buying & was very satisfied. Now that I own one, am I crazy that my new car (with 18 mi. at delivery)seems to hesitate a bit & seems to have a "drag" or slight vibration from underneath that the testers didn't? Had the tire pressure & balance checked already-helped a little, but not significant.
    Just break-in? Thanks!