Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Thank you all for your input. Even thought the 6s is thirstier and more expensive, you probably are right that it is the better way to go with the automatic.

The updates for 05 look impressive, but I'm not sure I can wait that long unless I put many $$$ into my 12-year-old Maxima. Looks like my best option for an 04 would be a 6s with the sport, side curtain, sunroof and bose packages. Unfortunately, that's a tough one to run across right now, especially since I want a cloth interior.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    But will you be able to get the side airbags/curtains without the stupid moonroof on the "s" models? I HATE moonroofs.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    ramped-
    Like you, I want SAC/SAB but those are currently hard to find without leather, which I will not buy. This has been made much easier for 2005 with the SAB/SAC being standard on all models and trims except the base 'i' sedan model.

ndec-
    This should be no problem for 2005, but you still gotta find one like that.

Like I said before, making SAB/SAC standard on all but the base 'i' sedan was a great move by Mazda, reduces the number of build combos, and makes it easier to find what you want. Unless of course, you DONT want SAB/SAC, in which case you are basically screwed for 2005 and should get a 2004 before they're all gone.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    SAB/SAC will be standard on the 's' model....so you won't have to get the 'stupid' moonroof that you HATE so much.
    SAB/SAC is standard on ALL 5-doors and wagons!
  • accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    I'm wondering why Mazda would replace the current 5-speed auto with a 6-speed. If it's to make the M6 more competitive, then it's a good move. I just wonder if problems are starting to develop from the Jatco 5-speed. I certainly hope not, I'm expecting my ordered 6 in 2-3 weeks.
  • grahambgrahamb Member Posts: 45
    Ramped, you say "Sticker is just over 27K. For that kind of money I would be looking at an Acura TSX... "

I just want to let you know that you won't pay anywhere near that sticker price. My sticker for a 6s hatch with luxory, moonroof, bose, and SAB/SAC was 27,740. I wound up paying 23,031 after the $1,500 dealer cash. From what I understand you can't negotiate that much on an Acura.
    Right, Acura doesn't negotiate much on the TSX, but apparently you can get one for about $25.5 without navi in many areas.

After you factor in better resale for the Acura, it may be a wash in the end, although you do have a V-6 and the TSX is a 4.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I doubt there are any problems with the 5 speed. This is just Ford commonizing their parts. The upcoming Ford Five Hundred and it's Mercury counterpart will have 6 speed autos. They're probably just using it in the 6 as part of a cost avoidance (having too many trannys in circulation) and also playing the numbers game. 6 gears are better than 5!
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    a six speed manual!
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    what is that?
    softer springs?
    good.
    A six speed manual would be good - that way you could get out of Canada faster when the US invades. ;)
  • livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    Afte driving a few, I've decided I'd rather not have it. To me 5 gears seems ideal. If a manual tranny car needs 6 gears, it needs more HP. Autos might be another story.

BTW, one 6sp manual I drove was the TSX. A fine car with a really nice interior, but not worth any extra $ over the 6 IMHO. Simply not as engaging or exciting to drive (again IMHO).

My $0.02.

CL
    The Grand Touring "Sub-Trim" Level is fully loaded, the only option being the Grand Touring Appearance pkg. which consists of sport-type front and rear bumpers, side sill extensions, fog lights, and oval-type dual exhuast outlets. Looks like it's AT-only.

I'm hoping people don't start confusing the 2005 US Grand Touring trim with the Canadian GT trim, but I suspect this is just wishful thinking on my part.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Why bother? I'm sure you would withdraw your troops almost quickly.
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    These were the two finalists when I was shopping. The Volvo S40, which would now be on my list, hadn't yet been introduced.

I was also attracted by the TSX interior (although I wasn't thrilled with the rear seat room), but found the 6 interior of suffient quality. In the end I preferred the handling and driving experience of the 6, and the clincher was the price. Excluding TTL, I got a fully loaded 6i MT, sportpak,side and curtain airbags, leather/power seats/heated mirrors, moonroof, autodim mirror w/compass, sport grille & Bose sound for $20,345. I couldn't touch the TSX for less than $26,000 (also excluding TTL).

Across its product range and over time, Mazda really has been in the same league reliability-wise with Toyota and Honda. In the end--and taking into account that Honda products are marginally more reliable than Mazda's--the $5655 difference was impossible to ignore. For me it wasn't a matter of a few pennies difference. I liked the TSX a lot as well, but felt that I was getting much more car for the money by going with Mazda.

Buying a car is one of the least rational purchasing decisions we make. In the end emotion rules. If your emotions lead you to fix on having a TSX, go for it. If you've got it to burn then heck it's only money... If I had it to burn I'd be in a Bimmer right now.
    Ya sure, just keep an eye on that flag, no matter what the hosts say. ;)
  • cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    These were the two finalists when I was shopping. The Volvo S40, which would now be on my list, hadn't yet been introduced.

I was also attracted by the TSX interior (although I wasn't thrilled with the rear seat room), but found the 6 interior of suffient quality. In the end I preferred the handling and driving experience of the 6, and the clincher was the price. Excluding TTL, I got a fully loaded 6i MT, sportpak,side and curtain airbags, leather/power seats/heated mirrors, moonroof, autodim mirror w/compass, sport grille & Bose sound for $20,345. I couldn't touch the TSX for less than $26,000 (also excluding TTL).

Across its product range and over time, Mazda really has been in the same league reliability-wise with Toyota and Honda. In the end--and taking into account that Honda products are marginally more reliable than Mazda's--the $5655 difference was impossible to ignore. For me it wasn't a matter of a few pennies difference. I liked the TSX a lot as well, but felt that I was getting much more car for the money by going with Mazda.

Buying a car is one of the least rational purchasing decisions we make. In the end emotion rules. If your emotions lead you to fix on having a TSX, go for it. If you've got it to burn then heck it's only money... If I had it to burn I'd be in a Bimmer right now.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    The 6 speed auto is a joint venture development between Ford and GM (can you believe that!) and both companies are going to use it in a variety of applications, so thats where it comes from, not from any problems in the current 5 speed
    Now there's a scary thought!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    It does seem scary, but GM makes some good trannies. They make the BMW automatics.
    but they also made the AT in my Alero that needed to be rebuilt at 59000 miles.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Weird. There's another message board that says that it's an Aisin transmission. Aisin makes transmissions for a few different companies, one them Toyota. I'd love to know what the real story is.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The Aisin produced transmission for example, will be used in the 500/Montego till the Ford/GM co-developed one's, are integrated.
    that's nuts. Have GM and Ford worked together on anything before this?
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    On various things here and there, they have. Then some other times, they buy from each other. Or sometimes supplier's like Visteon will invent a gadget, but only allow their respective owner (now spinned-off) to use the new toy initially for the 1st year or so, before selling it to other automaker's. Give them first rights.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Here's a little more on that Ford/GM joint venture:

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/cars20_20040420.htm

I for one think it's a good thing. Things could be a lot worse, Ford could have teamed up with Honda to build that transmission. Now THERE'S a scary thought given Honda's recent transmission woes.
  • gottogo99gottogo99 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

This is my first post after reading here for 18 months. This board was very helpful in my car buying decision. I've now had a 6i for 3 months and like it.

Now for the question: During a hard rain yesterday, I decided to check the sunroof for leaks, not that I'd noticed any. To my surprise and dismay, there was water along the inside rear edge. Is this normal?

I later discovered there is a black painted metal channel underneath that edge. Is this designed to catch any dripping water, or is just a coincidence that it's there? I also discovered that the gasket around the outside of the sunroof does not uniformly fit into the opening. When closed, it's visible in some areas but not others when viewed from the outside. Is that normal?

This is my first daily driver with a sunroof.

thanks,

Dave
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They all leak to a degree. That's why there are drain channels, usually down the a-pillars.

With my '89 323LX, I would leave the sunroof tilted open after a rain to allow the water to evaporate and escape more quickly. You may also want to make sure those drain holes don't get clogged with leaf debris etc.

I love sunroofs, but between not having enough headroom with them and the maintenance issues (I don't get many chances to use a sunroof now that I live in the midwest, though I loved having one when I lived in CA), I now avoid them.
    My experience with sunroofs is that they never leak, and neither should yours.

The gasket may not be set properly. Take it to your dealer. He will make it right.
    I think it's a good thing too. When two of the biggest car companies in the world work together on something that they will both rely on well into the future, I'd expect it to be good. Maybe Honda will buy some of those transmissions.... ;)

Like the article you cited said, this cooperation is historic because GM and Ford have never shared major components like automatic transmissions.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Now take into account how many other manufacturers Ford and GM control and you can see that this transmission will be all over the place in a big hurry. So it better be really really good and I think it will be given where it's coming from. There's too much at stake for it not to be. :)

Maybe Honda will buy some of those transmissions.... ;)

They probably will. Then all their followers will chant "We're saving the planet. We're saving the planet." because it makes their vehicles a little more fuel efficient and the big giant "H" said so. ;)
  • arbalestarbalest Member Posts: 10
    audia8q,

do you know if HID/TPMS package from Mazda3 will also be an option for Mazda6???

I know TPMS is gonna be available or standard, but maybe HID as another option???

thank you.
    I have not seen anything mentioning HID's for the MZ6.
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    Your moonroof should at no point leak. If at any time, it leaks, you need to take it right to the dealer. If they all leaked to some degree, most people would get them. In a previous car I had, I got an aftermarket sunroof, and it never leaked. My boyfriend has an '04 Corolla with an aftermarket roof and his never leaks. Your moonroof should not leak at all, take it to the dealer immediately.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Hello All,
    I had originally been considering the accord, but then I saw a Mazda3 on the mass pike during my morning commute and had to look into it. Have been researching and drove one the other day. I thought it was awesome. When I go looking at the dealers I almost always mistakenly go look at a 6 because they look the same, even though the 6 is a little larger, but not by much at all visually. I may go and drive the 6, but it does not get as good gas mileage and costs more. What do you all think, would I regret getting a 3 verse the 6? I drive 100 miles a day for work and want a fun economical car that looks good.
    Thanks.
  • ambivalenceambivalence Member Posts: 3
    Refer to the Loaded Mazda3 vs Base Mazda6 board (not sure if the link below works), there are other people with similar dilemma

creakid1 "Loaded Mazda 3 OR Base Mazda 6" Jun 18, 2004 3:57pm!make=Mazda&model=6&ed_makeindex=.ef2334a

I personally purchased a Mazda6s 5door (hatch). The hatch configuration is so unique and I like it so much (hatchback utility without the wagon look) that I didn't even testdrive the 3 -- I know I'd like it, that'd just make my decision harder :P
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    They probably will. Then all their followers will chant "We're saving the planet. We're saving the planet." because it makes their vehicles a little more fuel efficient and the big giant "H" said so. ;)

ROFLMAO.

I think it's a good idea for car companies to share not only transmissions, but also engines.

Ford and GM could have focused on a small car platform and bought Honda's I4s instead of building their own inferior I4s.

Honda could enter the large truck/SUV market and buy GM's pushrod v8s or Ford's SOHC Triton v8s.

GM has already purchased Honda's SOHC 3.5L v6 for the Saturn Vue. Honda should have returned the favor by buying GM's transmissions (as BMW does) and saved themselves from major embarrassment.
    When you compare the pros and cons of the 3 vs. the 6, don't forget to factor in the rebate/dealer cash available on the 6. You most likely can pay about the same price for a similarly equipped 6i as you will for a 3.
    If you're comparing the 3s to the 6i, the mileage difference is 1 mpg in the city. They have the same highway rating.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The 3i will still be plenty peppy as it is considerably lighter than the 6i, and it gets much better gas mileage than the 6i. It would be a nice choice for a 100 mile commute.
    I've been waiting about a month for a new batch of MZ6s to arrive in my area. I talk to a salesman regularly and he doesn't know why it is taking so long for cars to arrive.

Any thoughts?
    We have seen a delay in shipping MZ6's also...From what I understand, there is a rail car shortage which is causing headaches for domestic built cars. I have some MZ6's that should have been here in May they still have not left Flat Rock.
    Hey, that could be good for buyers (sorry, bad for you). Once they DO arrive, there could be enough cars on the lots to result in lower negotiated prices. ;)
  • madaxemanmadaxeman Member Posts: 8
    I recently ran out of washer fluid and no warning light on the dash. The dealer told me that the MZ6 didn't come with one. However, it exits in the manual. Does anyone know anything about this?
    It exits in the manual so that's why it's gone. ;)
  • accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    I talked to a truck driver the other day (who was hauling M6 cars) and he said that Mazda has 900 cars waiting to be delivered from Flat Rock. He made it sound like there's not enough truck drivers to deliver the cars on time. In my case, I'm waiting for my ordered 6 to be built. I placed the order in early May, now told it won't arrive until mid August. That's kind of slow, ya know?
  • dsmdsm Member Posts: 3
    Do you have a 6i? Some of the features listed in the manual only apply to the 6s, without explanation.

For example, my dealer told me that although there's an AMB button on my dash, the temperature feauture isn't available in the 6i.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Since they have incentives available until June 30th, do you think it is best to buy a 2004 before July, or should I wait for a better possible incentive in July?
    Thanks.