Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    About the cloth, I read a favorable impression on a Mazda6 site that compared the surface to suede. Didn't get that, but I could see the material working as part of the inner cushion.
  • sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
    Just finished working with Wawanesa Insurance regarding fair market value on my 2003 Mazda6s, loaded except side air bags, auto, 9600 miles.It was totalled August 28th.

They used AutoTrader, 25 mile search. They valued the car at 17,845. With tax, license total was 19,511.21, less $500 deductable on my collision coverage, for a paid claim amount of $19,011.21. I owed $14,085 to Mazda American Credit so I will receive a check for roughly $5000.

There is a strong possibility the claim will shift from collision coverage to uninsured motorist coverage since the police report listed "none available" when police officer asked the other party for insurance information. If that happens I will be refunded my $500 deductable (have deductable waiver coverage on my uninsured motorist coverage).

The other driver was at fault (ran red light)

Overall, I am very pleased with Wawanesa's response to my claim but I did receive injuries to my neck and shoulder and am not sure how I will be compensated for pain and suffering. I've read that if uninsured motorist coverage applies then I can receive compensation. Still trying to recover from my injuries (currently going through physical therapy).

I felt my Mazda6 did a good job protecting me. But the next car I purchase will definately include side air bags. I really like the news regarding improvements to the 2006 Mazda6 and am interested in the hatchback. Also considering the 05 IS300 or 05 G35, although those cars may require a monthly payment higher than what I want to pay. I know Lexus is replacing the IS300 with the IS250/350 so there may be a possibility of getting a good deal. The Infiniti G35 currently has 1.99% financing which I believe I would qualify.

Unfortunately I suspect Mazda will not have good prices/promotions on the 2006 Mazda6 hatchback until the end of next year. I do own a Lancer Sportback and may hold out. That shows you how much I enjoyed the mazda6 sedan I owned and how I miss it.
  • akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    I went to a local dealership today (in Mesa, AZ) and test drove a 2006 Titanium Gray 6i sedan with sports package. The color of the exterior was understated, and a lot lighter than the outgoing Steel Gray. When I sat in the car, I noticed that the gray cloth seats were very grippy and held you in place. Little things, like padding on the armrests and door sills, were noticeable for the better. The new foldaway key was a little larger than my VW key (think of a chunkier Zippo lighter) and the key didn't fold up as neatly.

The actual drive was nice, and the car had a bit more pickup--especially on the low end--from a stop. The 5-speed automatic does seem to have made a difference in acceleration and shifting (although you can feel it downshift noticeably when coming to a stop). The car handles bumps and other road blemishes with fewer problems than the older editions. The handling is still the same--including that turning radius--but the steering is still light and sharp as ever, feeling composed through curves and on the straightaways.

I was impressed with the drive. It made it that much harder to decide between the rebates on the '05's and the '06 models.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    I drove a 2006 Mazda6 i MT today in Santa Fe, NM. The 06 seems to have a little less "thumpy" ride than the 05 (could this be the new bushings?). The 2.3L also seemed a little more linear in it's power delivery, but that could just be me. I didn't not hear any suspension noise as has been reported by another poster.

On the changes for 06, here goes:

The new black center console looks excellent and is a big improvement! Unfortunately on the AT models there is a rectangular silver piece around the shift lever that will get scratched. One of the ones I saw today was already scratched! When will the auto makers figure this out?

The cover is gone from the front center console cup holders. Who cares?

I like the new cloth seat material. The seats look a little different, but they did not make them wider as I feared! The seat bottom looks like it may have better thigh support.

The new door panel design is nice. :)

The front and rear fascias, and the side sills on the sport models, are no longer flared out. While this does look less aggressive, I personally don't mind the change. I'm sure accessory body parts and/or after market stuff will be available for those that really need that look. The sport and non-sport models share the exact same front and reat fascias, which means a better look for the non-sport models (and a less sporty look for the sport models). There are now holes on the rear fascia for splash guards on the sport models.

I like the new sport grille. It’s a cleaner look.

The surrounding pieces on the new fog lights are black and look cheesy to me. I’d be tempted to paint these to match the body. :shades:

The lower opening on the front facia is larger vertically, giving the car a “meaner” look IMO.

I saw the new Bright Island Blue and Tungsten Gray on 5-door cars and they both look look great! The blue is a little lighter than the Lapis Blue and is similar to the Winning Blue on the Mazda3. The Tungsten Gray is considerably lighter than the outgoing Steel Gray. I like them both.

The outer parts of the tail lights are black on the sport and silver on the non-sport, changed from the red on the earlier. I like the black and the silver is just OK.

I saw the 18” wheels on a Grand Touring model. While I still don’t like them, they do look better in person. Fortunately these only come on the Grand Touring and Grand Sport models, neither of which interests me. :D

I’ll have photos later, I gotta get some sleep now ...
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Anybody have any repair experience with Jeff Haas Mazda in Houston?

I'm concerned that my daughter may have got the royal flush on a recent repair to her 2000 626 ES. The initial problem was fixed, although it seems that the repair was far more complicated, and costly, than necessary. Two weeks later, I've found several major problems that did not exist before the repair. I don't want to believe they intentionally botched so many different things, but the evidence is mounting.

The car goes back to them, tomorrow. Just have to wait and see how willing they are to correct the problems.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    2000 626 ES. The initial problem was fixed, although it seems that the repair was far more complicated, and costly, than necessary. Two weeks later, I've found several major problems that did not exist before the repair.

Could you give some specifics of the initial problem, the complicated repair and what you found as new problems?
    In the end, it appears that the other problems were not related to the first one. This all started with the transmission shifter linkage failing at approximately 32k. I was first told that a simple bushing replacement (<$100) woud fix it. However, the entire shifter cable assembly was replaced, which required that the center console be removed. Total cost ~$600. To their credit, though, the Service Manager did convince Mazda to pay the $150 parts cost.

The other issues were:
    1. Shift indicator trim plate mangled during console removal. Dealer replaced at no charge.
    2. Weak AC cooling - Diagnosis and replacement of engine cooling fan relay = $150.
    3. Blinking overdrive indicator light and non-functioning overdrive button. Diagnostic code = tranny overheating condition. Dealer suggested a $350 external tranny cooler. I settled for a $129 fluid flush in hopes that will resolve the problem.
    4. Broken spot welds on muffler hanger bracket. Dealer wanted to replace muffler for $350. I will have the spot welds repaired for ~$20.

Overall, I can't complain about this service experience. But I AM surprised that all these things happened within a two-week period, and with such low mileage on the car.
    Got the muffler hanger re-welded today. Cost = $0.00!! And just a quick update - the AC output is still barely adequate . . . guess that $150 cooling fan rely wasn't the culprit after all. Again . . . all this at only 32k miles. :( My daughter is PO'd big-time, and I'm not the happiest camper in the woods, either.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I just received a letter from Mazda yesterday that there's a recall on my 2004 Mazda6 S. Has something to do with an emissions code and the PCM needs a flash. However, I can't find hide nor hair of this recall on the NHTSA's site. What's the deal? :confuse: Anyone else out there get this letter too?
  • captain_sexcaptain_sex Member Posts: 4
    Hey all, I just got a 6s, and i was trying to get some information on the phatnoise mp3 system that mazda has for it. The dealer told me that the system is available, but they coundn't find a part number or price. The phatnoise webpage states that the mazda system is comming soon. Anyone know which is the real case? If it is available, whats the price, and does anyone know were i can get a copy of the instructions for it.
    thanks
  • zoomzoomerzoomzoomer Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2004 Mazda6s in for 35K service last week here in Charlottesville, VA at Flow Motors. They told me the same thing, and performed the recall service at the same time at no charge. They couldn't, however tell me what difference the service made to the car's performance.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    dealer had 4 2006 6 GT's - V6. They are loaded cars, only option was automatic and the sticker was 29,950!!!! For a M6. That's more than an EX V6 Accord. "ready" for Sirius. had 18" wheels (didn't like - center caps are BLACK plastic). had HID's standard.
    I like the look of the M6 better than the Accord, but not 2k better :(
  • harriganharrigan Member Posts: 13
    Hi folks,

I've been on the hunt for a new car, and the Mazda 6 has a lot going for it -- handling, looks, utility (I'm partial to the 5-door), etc. One thing I'm unsettled on is the powertrain.

I've test--driven three different 6s models now and a pair of 6i, and while everything I've read and my gut tells me that the V6 engine is the one to have, I've found it wanting in use. The 2.3 V4 seems to have a lot more zing -- it just seems eager to please where I feel like I'm always too low in the power band for the V6 and it just doesn't respond the way I'd expect.

Has anyone else experienced this? The V6 obviously has more cruising / overtaking power, but I'm finding myself leaning towards the V4 for it's response time and what seems like better mating to the transmission. That's good because it's cheaper, but I kind of wanted the climate control. :[

Anyway, interested in hearing opinions. Does either engine want premium, btw?

(Other cars I'm considering are the 3s, the Acura TSX, Acura RSX, Subaru WRX and Subaru Legacy GT. Trying to test-drive them all to knock a few off the list. The 2006 WRX is almost scary-fast -- it's like a tin-wrapped rocket. Feels pretty cheap, but boy does it move. The Legacy GT is a dream in my opinion, but likely out of my price range now that leather is standard.)
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    The V6 is obviously faster overall than the 4, but the 4 is more than adequate. Test numbers I've seen for the 4 are 0-60 in 7.9 for the manual (Motor Trend) and 9.6 for the 4-speed automatic (Consumer Reports). The 5-speed automatic that replaced it for '06 should be quicker. Times are probably on the conservative side in the CR test due to their "non-abusive" testing methods.

For the V6, 0-60 is 7.5 (Edmunds) and wasn't able to find automatic numbers.

I'd say go for the 4 if you're wanting a manual. You'll save money on the purchase price, get better fuel economy and have plenty of power. If you want an automatic, the V6 with the new 6-speed automatic is probably the best bet.

Good luck with your search!
    So, why don't you look for a Mazda6 that's not so loaded and costs less than a EX-V6 Accord?
    Probably should have specified that yes, I'm only interested in a stick.

The reason I'm hand-wringing a little is that I *want* to like the V6 -- I know I'll appreciate the extra power on the highway and in the mountains (Colorado). I also like the climate controls that come with the s... but I just find the laggy engine feel off-putting. I'm also jsut wondering if I'm not used to it, having driven high and quick-revving 4 bangers the last ten or more years. Might be a matter of getting used to the V6 powerband.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    I was simply making an observation and comparison comment, that's all.
    There is an adjustment to a 6-cylinder after driving 4's for a long time. My first seven cars were all high-revving 4-cylinders with manual transmissions. My driving style was geared toward this type of setup.

When I bought my first V6 (also happened to be automatic), it was a huge change. My next (and current) is a V6/manual and I love the power and flexibility. My lease is up shorty, though, and I'm seriously thinking about going back to a 4. The Mazda3 s is my top contender, but the 6 i is also in the running.
    Yeah, I think after driving my Focus ZX3 for the last five years, I'm just really in-tune to zingy little 4-bangers that like to rev and rev. I've heard the 2006 model of the 6s has 5 fewer HP, more 9 more foot-pounds of torque. That might help as well, as it seems to be at low rpms that I find the V6 engine wanting.

Any other manual V6 drivers out there care to comment? Was there an adjustment period, or is the 6s just not terribly responsive, particularly at the low end?

Incidentally, I've driven the 3s as well, and that engine and tranny feels like it was bloody *made* for me -- very slick, exactly what I was hoping I'd get in the 6s. Where I feel like the car is fighting me in the 6s, the 3s feels utterly natural. I might look at threes again, even though I really like the size and styling of the 6 better.
    I say save some bucks and get the 3 s! =) Unless you need a slightly larger car.
    I have to admit that the price difference has made me stop and think about that more than once!
    One thing to be aware of, though- there's a $2000 rebate and $1000 Mazda Financing Cash on the '05 6. That brings the price of a 6 i Sport in line with a 3 s. Just something to think about. But the 3 is just so much dang fun!
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Any other manual V6 drivers out there care to comment? Was there an adjustment period, or is the 6s just not terribly responsive, particularly at the low end?

If you are REALLY worried about the low end for a V6, check out the Altima 3.5SE. The low end is VERY impressive, but the handling (or lack of it) and torque steer (PLENTY of that) turned me off, as well as the cheap-looking interior.

As far as the 6 is concerned, I've got the S with manual, and yes, the low end isn't very strong compared to the competition, but the car more than makes up for it in the mid-range and higher RPMs where it just hauls!! As a result, my driving style has changed slightly, holding the gears a little longer before upshifting, keeping the RPMs slightly higher during spirited driving, etc etc. During stop-n-go driving, it's not too bad, but highway driving is simply a blast!!

The Duratec V6 is known to develop slightly more power as the miles tack on. I guess you can say it matures with age and mileage. I've got close to 19K miles on my '04, and I've noticed an increase in both power and gas mileage since I bought it new. It's still making me smile... :)

Hope this helps your decision-making process.
    Yeah, anyone who has driven the Altima 3.5SE with MT can testify that you CAN have too much power to the front wheels. Everything's a trade-off.
  • tnjrobi1tnjrobi1 Member Posts: 41
    I have 26,000 miles on my 2004 Mazda 6 and I'm about to get new tires. I have free tires and brakes for life from the dealership. Should I stay with the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's or should I try something else. (I'm looking at the Bridgestone Turenza LS-V's.)

Any reccomendations will be greatly appreciated.
    I'd definitely replace the Michelins in a heartbeat! I'm patiently waiting for my set to wear down, because there are MUCH BETTER choices for both the money and performance.

Since you have the deal with your dealer, make sure that you can replace the Michelins with a different tire other than the OEM, and that buying a different brand will NOT void your "free tires for life" deal.

If you can, The Bridgestone Turanza LS-V is a great choice for touring tires, with great grip in all conditions and a longer treadlife. I've heard nothing but great things about these tires.

If you want a more aggressive performance tire, I'd consider the Yokohama Avid V4S. Phenominal grip in wet and dry conditions, with a trade-off in slightly poorer snow traction and treadlife (since it is a performance tire). I had a set of Yoko's on my old car, and plan on using them on my 6 as soon as the Michelins give out on me.

If you want any more suggestions or ratings on tires, definitelty check out Tirerack.com. Good luck... :)
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I'm shopping for a sedan and drove a Mazda6 V6 automatic today for the first time. My impressions were almost all very good except for some road noise while on the interstate at 70 mph. On another road at about 60 I wasn't aware of it, so maybe the road surface is the key factor.

I checked out my old Car & Driver (June 2004) and their long-term review of the Mazda6 makes a point of the road noise in an otherwise good review. So that makes me wonder.

Could any of you owners tell me if this has been an issue with you? Does it vary from road to road? Are there different tires that can be installed to lessen the noise? Or any other modifications?

I should add that I drove a 2005 model (which this dealer was offering at a $5,000 discount!!!), so maybe for 2006 Mazda has added some sound-deadening materials?

I want to keep this car on my list because the driving position was almost ideal for me, the car felt like a great fit, and gave a very connected feel while driving. I really couldn't find anything else to complain about -- it was a very enjoyable test drive.

Also, I apologize if this is an old subject -- I'm new to Mazda. My brother just bought a Miata, so he sparked my interest in the brand. Maybe someone could direct me to older posts, or just give a brief summary of this issue.

Thanks for any of your thoughts.
    About a month ago my best friend bought an '05 Mazda6 s 4-door for almost $5000 under sticker. We went to Atlanta Motor Speedway today and I got to drive it approximately 50 miles each way. I had only driven it once before a short distance.

I noticed some road noise, but not enough to be a significant concern. The easiest solution is just to turn up the stereo a bit (make sure you opt for the BOSE system).

His car stickered for about $27.5k and he got it for $22,700. That included leather, Bose/moonroof and the 6-speed automatic. I don't think you'll regret getting an '05 right now with that huge discount. You might even be able to get them down a bit lower than the $5000 discount you mentioned.

Good luck!
    One more thing I thought of- does the $5000 discount you mentioned include the $1000 available for financing thru Mazda Credit? If not, you should definitely consider that also.

Even if you don't want to finance thru them, you can initially go thru them to get the rebate and then finance thru another lender immediately.
    No, the $1,000 financing discount wasn't included. That's a thought. The $5,000 consisted of about $2,000 off to get to an "employee price," then another $3,000 off that was labeled "customer cash" for a bottom line "family price" of a little over $20,000. If you add another $1,000 off for financing, that's $6,000 off. I'm a little surprised at that much discount without evening asking, on a car that gets good reviews. Sounds more like GM or Chrysler desperation discounting.

Went back this afternoon to browse the lot and discovered they have about 12 2005 Mazda6 models at this "family price." All of the V6 models have extra sport appearence stuff as standard, which adds sill extenders, a spoiler, etc., which I didn't care for. Maybe not too many others care for it, either, since they're all at a deep discount. They only have two 2006 models, and they didn't have a 2006 catalog yet. They're obviously really focusing on moving their 2005 models.

I noticed the console of the 2006 has been redesigned, with climate/audio controls that look like they would be easier to see and operate.

Thanks for the feedback on the road noise. Sounds like it wasn't an issue with you and your friend. That's reassuring, but I'll have to drive it some to see for sure. Hoping it doesn't amount to much.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Slight road noise is a Mazda6 trait; mines an '04 and after a year I've gotten used to it. Some road surfaces make it more noticable, some it's not noticable at all. The driving attributes of the car far outweigh a little road noise, IMO; and so far this Mazda has been equal to the Accord it replaced in terms of reliability (0 problems). The Accord even had a rattle and a squeak that had to be fixed, where the Mazda is still tight so far. I'm willing to bet different tires might help a bit; the OEM Michelins are just OK, not great.
    I've got an '04, and comparatively speaking, the road noise is not bad at all, and it's quieter than my Grand Am. The tires do react differently on different surfaces. There's a part of my commute that's a little louder at speed, due to the pavement surface (asphalt that's been worn down for years and never resurfaced). It's nothing that my Bose can't take care of.

Don't know if the '06's have more sound insulation or not, but I'd recommend test-driving one, to see if you like it better or not.
    Road noise is all relative. If you drive a Mazda6 back-to-back with a Mazda3 on the same roads you will notice the difference, even though some think the Mazda3 is quiet enough. Also, since auto manufacturers have reduced engine noise a lot, now people tend to notice road noise more. I have driven the 06 and 06 Mazda6 back-to-back (same roads) and didn't notice a difference.
    I do like the driving attributes of this car, so I may wind up being okay with the level of quietness it offers. Thanks for the feedback -- it's good to hear the car overall is a tight construction and that you like yours. My last three cars have been a Regal (very quiet, no rattles), a Camry (rattles), and now an Accord that is already on a replacement transmission but is otherwise a good car. I'm looking at the Mazda6 mainly because it seems a lot more fun to drive.
    I've noticed the same thing in just about every car I've owned recently, that the road surface can make all the difference. The Mazda6 was quiet on a connector road, but a little loud on the Interstate. I just need to drive it more and get a better feel for it. Thanks for the feedback.
    Must have been a typo -- you meant to say you've driven the 05 (you typed 06) and 06 models back-to-back? That would confirm that they've not done anything different in terms of sound-deadening materials.

I agree it's a relative matter. My brother got his Miata a few months ago and is having a blast with it, even though it has all kinds of noise his other cars never had. It's what he likes, the feedback from the car after working all day in a quiet office, plus the driving dynamics of the car and having the top down on a nice day.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Yeah, it was a typo, but you knew I meant to write "05 and 06". :shades:
    The 06 I drove was a 4-door 2.3L MT and the 05 was a 5-door 3.0L MT. I can't put my finger on it, but there WAS something that felt better on the 06. Maybe it's the new suspension bushings on the 06 model. That, and the new console design, made me think I'd like the 06 better (even though there are some serious rebates on the 05s). The redesigned door panels on the 06 are a lot nicer too. I think for zipping around town, a car like the Mazda3 would be fine, but the extra road noise of the Mazda3 could get irritating with a lot of freeway driving or on a long trip (I tend to favor the freeways when I have a choice). One thing I noticed was that in the Mazda6 on the freeway it was easy to have a conversation with the sales guy, while in the the Mazda3 I had to speak a little louder. No biggy if you drive alone with the stereo up loud, but something to consider if you drive with a spouse a lot, or date frequently. Seeing how I'm back in the dating game I gotta think about the latter. ;)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Anyone have a chance to drive the Mercury Milan or Ford Fusion?? I would like to hear some feedback from those who are familiar with the Mazda6...
    I'd like to hear about that too. I have heard that they softened up the suspension, so that will make a nice topic of discussion. Since they don't offer the 3.0L with MT it's out for me, but I'm curious anyway.
    We sell all three so hopefully the customers like one of them... ;)

The big sister, the zephyer, is growing on me....
    Rich, you got it made ... :P

Now, how about this - a Fusion SVT with 3.0L engine, AWD, and 6-speed MT? Now that would get my attention.
    Rumor has it that the SVT will get a 3.5L version, soon to be also in the Five Hundred.

I've also heard that the 3.5L will be in the redesigned Mazda 6, coming in '07 or '08.
    You never know...Ford essentially SVT's everything they sell but only a select few make it to the showrooms. I was on a Ford junket that included a visit into the SVT area...It was amazing to see the stuff they get to play with...I think the success or failure of the MazdaSpeed6 will play a role in a future Fusion SVT.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Since my spouse never shuts up while I'm driving, maybe I should always have her in the 6, to squelch some of the road noise,. On the other hand, naahhhh. :D
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Rumor has it that the SVT will get a 3.5L version, soon to be also in the Five Hundred.

The one I've been hearing on the Fusion thread is that there will be an ST tuned Fusion with the Duratec35 making upwards of 245HP and the SVT version will be AWD with the MAZDASPEED Mazda6 DI turbo 4 with about 280 HP and lots of handling goodies.
  • xeoxeo Member Posts: 10
    For those of you out there with the 05 4 cyl - are you happy with the performance or do you wish that you had gone with the V6?
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Anyone drove the 06 with Nav yet? what is your impression. Any major improvement (spec look about the same except the nav) for handling and power delivery?
  • philwang66philwang66 Member Posts: 61
    We have a 05 6i auto. What is enough is highly dependent on the user. I find that it is enough for daily driving. However, when you need to "punch it", there is noticeable lag when the trans tries to downshift. I suspect the M/T would work better with the 6i. I'm guessing the new A/T on the 2006 would also be better in this respect.

On the flip side, I do find the 6i lighter on its feet than the 6s. Better mileage is also a plus for the 6i. We are satisfied with the tradeoff.

Good luck,
    Phil
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I'm a little surprised at that much discount without evening asking, on a car that gets good reviews. Sounds more like GM or Chrysler desperation discounting."

The discounting on the 6 is because the 6 doesn;t have as much as interior room as the its competitors such as the Accord, Camry, or Altima. I have to say Mazda nailed the 6 on the styling but they didn't put enough interior room in the car for the mid-size category. BTW, The Mazda 3 has been discounted alot less the MZ 6.

"I noticed the console of the 2006 has been redesigned, with climate/audio controls that look like they would be easier to see and operate."

Thats a good thing that the climate/audio controls have been revised for the 06 model year. I sat in an 04 MZ 6 ar an autoshows and the controls look kind of confusing to use.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    ...a ZOOM is always faster than a zepher, zephers are a light breeze. ;)

fowler3