Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    ... of off-topic posts have been removed.

I don't really think any of you need help finding the Honda Accord discussion, but there is a link for you, just in case.

I meant what I said about keeping the conversation on topic.
  • ncjudgencjudge Posts: 30
    I test drove the 6 in Winston-Salem, but I'm going to check out Parks Mazda in High Point and some other N.C. dealerships. Bob King had a dealer markup of over $900 over sticker listed on the car we drove. BTW, when I said I wanted to drive a manual before making a decision, a sales manager told the salesman that Mazda wasn't making the manual-equipped 6s yet--they would be in in a month or so. Right...
  • That's 300 miles I've piloted- and today in the snow. The 16" tires stink on pavement, but do well in rain and in snow. They have a long treadwear and are quiet- but aren't very aggressive.

I pushed the car for the first time yesterday and it whipped around a turn with a hint of fun, fun slide, but no under or oversteer. It was quite amazing as the revs approached 5k in second gear- nobody was on the road, and I wasn't about to miss my left turn arrow for nothing. I know, 5k isn't even redlining it, but I've been so good to this car so far that I'm going nuts! The fun starts at 3k :-)

I can't wait until this silly engine break-in is over. I'm getting impatient. 200 miles left to go, per Mazda's owner's manual. I've tried pushing the car through some turns without gunning the throttle, and it just isn't the same. It's too predictable, with no lean- like driving a fast car slow.

It looks like I'm getting around 23mpg in about the worst city traffic you can imagine. That's not far off of my old 1.6l 4cyl Celica, which would get 40mpg on the highway for comparison. While 23mpg may seem low, I'm quite impressed given the circumstances.

The engine sounds better and smoother every day. I can't emphasize this enough. It's gotten quieter at all revs, and has a much more pleasing note when pushed. It's much more ignorable during day-to-day driving then when new, yet much more fun to listen to when pressed (to 4k rpm... sigh).

I put my first 'mod' on the car- a University of Delaware alumni license plate holder. Whew- it sure is tricked out now, eh? Mazda's 17" alloys are $125 each from the dealer ($150 MSRP), and I may do that. I wanted the alloys w/o the spoiler. The rear speakers are 5x7's, and it appears the fronts are too. I am still clueless as to whether or not the tweeter in the front can be replaced, but hope to replace that. Two easy installation jobs- wheels and speakers- and this initial $17,701 car will be my $18,500 dream machine.

To those who don't like this car- what's wrong with you!?! This car is incredible!

Unless, like my wife, you don't like the car because it means learning stick :-)
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    "Mazda's 17" alloys are $125 each from the dealer, and I may do that."

That was the main reason why I liked the sport package, but I'm not really a fan of the body cladding or the spoiler.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    **...but I'm going to check out Parks Mazda in High Point and some other N.C. dealerships.**

Parks is where I bought my Protegé, good people to deal with, and they do NOT add on to the MSRP. Forget the Greensboro dealer, bad reputation. The Mazda dealership, in Ashboro, is also owned by Parks.

fowler3
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    "I am getting a 6s to replace my 00 Passat."

Oh no, VW doesn't want to hear stuff like THAT!
  • I've been reading comments about the Mazda6 6 cyl. having a Ford engine, modified by Mazda. My memory might be wrong, but wasn't the Ford Duratec engine designed by Subaru. Or do I have this mixed up with something else.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    You have it mixed up with something else. Subaru, or Fuiji Heavy, is a GM affiliate...
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    is actually an engine that Ford paid PORSCHE to design for them...
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    What does Ford and Porsche have in common?

Dinu
  • The Big H is correct. Ford contracted with Porsche in the early design phase of the Duratec.

Mark.
    ... and Cosworth...
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    LOL.
    Good info.
    From now on when someone starts bitching about the Duratec engine and how bad it is simply because of its Ford roots, we'll have enough of ammo to instantly shut them off.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Well we might have ammo, but we're shooting blanks :)

No facts, logic or reason will make some people realize that the 6 and Mazdas in general are NOT the scum of the automotive ladder...

In other news, I came through this site:

http://www.desrosiers.ca/

This is an automotive consultant in Canada that analyzes the market and its preferences. There are some intereting articles - browse his reports (requires Acrobat - and it loads fast).

Dinu

• ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    if Mazda has plans for increasing the HP in the future.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    I thought you've made your mind.
    Was it the GTO, you were waiting for.;)
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I got a test drive offer in the mail for the 6 on Saturday. It was a $35 gift certificate to somewhere, but didn't look at it really closely. The eerie thing was that it came in my mother's name, who has never owned, test driven, or even requested information for a Mazda. She has also been dead for 2 years this past Friday...???
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Gonna take em up on it and test drive it again. Got the same offer for the Pro5 when it came out. Got some nice CD's with it.
    black list, I never get anything from them. Nothing!

By the way, the tester for the Contour, Mitch McCollough, is the guy whom I exchanged e-mail with when I was test driving the '01 Protegé. He suggested I drive another one when the first car proved very rough-riding (wheels out of balance). He also said, "First impressions are usually wrong because you are having to look at so many things on the first drive." He was right about that, too.

Dive an I-4 and the V6, drive a beige trimmed model and a grey trimmed model before deciding, give your senses a chance to evaluate your wants and needs. Check the stereos, check the handling differences. You aren't buying a new toy.

fowler3
  • I was looking for information about Jatco transmissions, and it looks to me like my 1994 6cyl. Mazda 626 has a GF4A-EL transmission, and that this is made by Jatco.

Does anyone know which Jatco automatics are being used in the Mazda6?
  • I test drove the Mazda6i this weekend and really enjoyed it, even though I wasn't allowed to push it much (it had 2 miles on it).

I'm young (23) and have good credit. The dealer told me that the best interest rate he could give me is 6 or 7% and he said that Mazda isn't currently offering 0% financing on the 6, and no matter what car i try to buy i couldn't do any better than 6 or 7%. His offer was $1000 above invoice, and $1000 below msrp (this is in san diego, ca).

So I guess I have two questions. First, can anyone tell me if the 7% is really the best I can do on this car? And second, is $1000 over invoice about what people are paying or are there better deals to be found?

thanks for any advice.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    apply at peoplefirst.com and e-loan.com they are both in the high 4's low 5% for good credit. Is this your first car financed? if so I have heard Peoplefirst looks badly on that.
  • ameen6ameen6 Posts: 16
    Jason777,
    In the Feb issue of motor trend, they got a 6s with Manual to hit 0-60 in 6.67 seconds. The Jan issue of Car And Driver recorded a time of 6.8 seconds. Edmunds has the 6s with automatic hitting 0-60 in 8.0 seconds.

toolman02,
    What dealership in San Diego did you go to? Check out John Hine Mazda, I've done two test-drives there and I'm going to make my purchase from them. They are a bottom line no haggle dealer offering ~$1,000 off of MSRP for a fully loaded 6i and ~$1,500 off of MSRP for a fully loaded 6s. I told the sales guy that I had excellent credit (score of about 750) and he gave me a verbal quote of about 4.5-5.0% interest rate. Unfortunately, I did not clarify with him if this is for a 3-year or 5-year loan, I’m guessing it’s 3 year. Hope this info helps, good luck on your purchase.
  • ameen6,

John Hine is the dealership I went to. My credit score is 722, and the 6-7% is what he quoted me on a 60 month loan. This is my first car to finance, so I guess 6-7% is about as good as I am going to do.

I checked my bank's website, (Wells Fargo), and they show 5.14% on a 60 month lease, so it might be possible to get that.
  • Hi everyone! I have a 1991 Mazda MX-6 that I have owned for 10 years. LOVE my car, but now I am getting that "itch", especially since I've seen the new Mazda 6 car. I am debating whether or not to get the 6, but am half-tempted also to wait until a year or so goes by to see some safety and reliability ratings on it. But if it's anything remotely like my old Mazda, those should not be issues. I qualify for a Supplier Discount thru Ford/Mazda if I purchase new, which is 5.3% above what a Ford/Mazda employee would pay (whatever that is - don't know yet). I'd probably keep my old '91 Mazda as a back-up car, since it's treated me great and I hate to part with it.

I've looked at a couple pages of posts here, but obviously haven't the time to go back thru all 5,000+ posts to see what people are saying about this car. ;) Anyone have anything - good or bad - to say about it? My current car is a 4-cylinder, so I'd probably stay with a 4-cyl. I hear it's pretty peppy, so it's probably just fine. After all, I'm not 17 and a boy trying impress the chicks ;) so having a super-fast car doesn't matter to me. :D Plus the 4 is a bit less expensive and a bit more fuel-efficient.

So....what's the consensus?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Try peoplefirst.com, and other online venues first. Also, try a credit union (if you are a member to one) or your bank.
    You will love the 6i!

To other posters:
    On another note, if you have been looking at the car shows web sites, do you notice that dark grey metallic is being shown on many of the new cars? Similar to Mazda6's Steel Grey, some a lighter shade. Is this the next big color after all the silver cars?

fowler3
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    You mentioned that you qualify for the Ford Supplier Discount. I also do, and asked my local dealer how much it equates to in real dollars when purchasing a Mazda 6. He said that you'd save about $2000 from MSRP on a fully loaded 6i, a little more on a loaded 6s, because it is a percentage calculation, therefore, the more the car costs, the more you save. Sounds like a bad commercial eh?
    because you'll still pay more for the 6s than the 6i :-)