Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• ambullambull Posts: 255
    In 1897, Mors, of France, produced the first V4 engine. I found another link which said that Ford still sells their V4 for industrial use.
    Okay, that's it for V4's from me, before I get into trouble.
  • doying5doying5 Posts: 83
    Lest ye forget...
    The Mazda V6 started with only the block The very basics and then the conglomerate of engineers took it from there. There are no other "Ford" components. On this car.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    More than any other make.
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    what does money per car mean?

oh, does Ford know what people think of their product?
  • gerstlgerstl Posts: 5
    i would like to see the 6s in sepang green which wont be out till early march. do ford or mazda have close colors? found spruce green (taurus)and sage green (mpv). cant tell from coputer screen
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    What about all of the accesories on the engine? Are those the same as what would be on the regular Duratec?
    In another discussion, stretchsje posted the following Jan 09, 2003 (01:20 am), which I thought was noteworthy:
    "For those who dismiss FWD-drive a new Mazda6. I have a 4cyl M6, and the thing just won't understeer. It's pretty neat, although I still dream of fishtailing. I almost bought a used MR2 :-)"
  • Last I heard...Ford was money per car More than any other make.

Actually, that's Porsche, the most profitable car company around based on per car averages.

Here's a story about their profits this year... http://www.auto.com/industry/iwiri5_20021205.htm

• jaclazjaclaz Posts: 37
    I saw this beast years ago and I just love a 1,000 troop carrier flying over the waves at 300 mph just under the radar headed for Long Beach, CA....

If they could only make cars and boats this interesting?

Thanks for publishing this PIC! It's great!

Watch out here comes PAT, we're really off topic now, he's gonna get MAD, he's not going to let us play anymore.... He's gonna say we're disruptive and annoying those who just need to talk about spoilers.... MMMmmmm.

Sorry PAT...
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    that thing ever got off the water? What is it a sea chicken? Short wings means it can't fly.

fowler3
  • ruefusruefus Posts: 254
    That thing wasn't supposed to fly. It really did take advantage of ground effects, allowing it to skim just off the waves with stub wings at high speed.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    jaclaz,
    I think what gets Pat more upset than being off-topic is calling her a him. :-)

Now that we got that down pat(shameless pun) can we get back to duratechs?

Choe,
    I think you are confusing the 3.8 that was used in the taurus, t-bird and older Winstar with the 3.0 Duratech used in the Taurus. Be careful with your facts.
  • dbamacdbamac Posts: 6
    to is the stalling issues in Escapes and Tributes. There have been stalling issues with a fairly small number of these vehicles and even happened to a Tribute that one of the mags did a long term test on. As for deaths due to this, I've seen a lot of speculation that someone "could" be killed, but no confirmed fatalities.

Having said that, the stalling problems have been linked to two causes - issues with the ignition switch and heavy key chains and issues with the ECMs. Given that neither of those components will be shared between the TribScape and the 6, I consider them a non-issue as far as the 6 is concerned.

BTW - My wife drives a 2001 Tribute and it has been fairly reliable thus far (26K miles). It's only warranty work was the replacement of the ventilation fan which developed a noisy bearing and a faulty power window switch. We've not been included in any of the recalls and have experience none of the problems you read about on the TribScape boards.

My car is a 98 Millennia S. I agree that the 2.3 MC engine is a nice engine (hooked to a mediocre transmission), but I won't miss the expense involved in its upkeep (high labor cost due to having to move plumbing to get to anything) and the searching for parts when I need to make a simple repair. Being exclusive can be cool, but sometimes it's a pain.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Was losing...Duh. Ford is losing more money per car than any other company right now.
  • I'm trying to locate a loaded up 6s with auto and airbag package. I can't live with the sports package(spoiler not my cup a tea). The local dealer claims you can't get a loaded up car with the airbags and not take the sports package. Claims that they are just not making the car in this configuration. Reality check please.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    The problem with dealer info is that they may just be trying to sell you what they have on the lot, so you can't trust what they say. I would check on www.mazdausa.com to see if your configuration can be built, or email Mazda and ask them.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Posts: 230
    They tested the Altima 3.5 V6, Jetta GLI VR6, and the Mazda 6s.

Bottom line - the 6s won.

On the Altima 3.5 V6; (if white knuckled torque steer is to your liking, this is the car for you.)

The 6s won on styling, refinement, interior, handling and overall balance.

Cool!
  • Where can I see what some other accessories for the 6 look like? I've seen mention of a "sport grille" - is that different from what would come on the car from the dealer? Things like that - where can I see some pics, anyone know?
    NO other shared components but the Block. I even had a guy from the Ford Plant bring me some articles they get from an insider magazine that explained so much about the engine in detail that I get totally lost.

I could try to dig out these articels at some point if anyone is interested.

Perhaps the TVM on the 6 is so much lower than I would expect is because the Ford reach into Splan is getting a lot of buyers in on the car.
    The 4 I have sold have been all or nothing (MSRP or Splan)
    I saw the accessories in a brochure I picked up at a Mazda dealer. If you have them installed at the time you buy the car, they have the same warranty as the rest of the car.
  • Perhaps the TVM on the 6 is so much lower than I would expect is because the Ford reach into Splan is getting a lot of buyers in on the car.
    The 4 I have sold have been all or nothing (MSRP or Splan)

In San Diego the 6 is selling for over a grand under MSRP already. I can get a V6 for 2k under msrp without haggling!
  • seafseaf Posts: 339
    That the people who are related to car sales (sales personnel) always like to mention how high their cars sell (close to MSRP), and then the consumers always point out how cheap they can get the car in their area... Just an observation...

Though I tend to believe in the real consumers since they have no financial gain by stating their price in a public forum, whereas the salespeople do have an incentive to inflate the price to make it appear that they are selling like hot cakes. Real supply & demand will tell the truth in the end.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    bluguy...mmmm, base price msrp is $21100 and invoice is $19495 for the 6s. how do you get a 2k discount with a $1605 mark up?

mazda6...be careful, the mazda website lets you configure a mazda6 in ways that they won't build the car. mazda seems to change the way they build the car every month based upon their projections and sales...this current allocation if the buyer wants side airbags...you can get them as a stand alone option with no other options or you need to take the sport package and Bose package at the minimum....so the dealer was being truthful. dont be so quick to assume the dealer is pulling something.

I will be glad to fax anyone the this months actual build confgs of the mazda6...just email me your fax numbers and which model and tranny you are interested in.
  • bluguy...mmmm, base price msrp is $21100 and invoice is $19495 for the 6s. how do you get a 2k discount with a $1605 mark up?

A San Diego dealership is giving $1500 off MSRP on the V6 model right off the bat. Add in the $500 graduate discount (I escaped from business school 7 months ago, so I easily qualify) and the car is 2k off msrp.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    As always, helpful to have you here! You were right on the money with your build options you made available to us in Nov/Dec - the manager at the largest Mazda dealership (upon much convincing and after much arguing) showed me the same list.

As for prices, "caveat emptor" is the rule to live by. Market values float in a range, and if you get the car you want in that range, I think its better to be happy with it than nitpick every last cent you may have overpaid ;)
    "Though I tend to believe in the real consumers since they have no financial gain by stating their price in a public forum"

1. How do you know that anyone here is a real consumer?
    2. I believe many people will understate their final price in public. No one wants to be over sold and have the chance some one else will say you paid too much!
    3. I overheard a repeat customer blatantly lie and say he bought his last car from us at invoice.( so of course I looked him up in the computer and low and behold it was not true)
    4. Some buyers lie.
    5. Some sales people lie.
    6. BLUEGUYS statement that you can get $2000 off without even haggling is a perfect example of :"what the other guy paid" syndrome. By neglecting to mention that he/she got $500 in college grad it sounded like the dealer was giving up $2000 when in fact they still had a small profit.
    7. How do I get financial gain on this forum when nobody knows who I am?
    8. Just because someone pays MSRP doesn't mean I wouldn't have considered an offer. Maybe they didn't ask for a discount and were just happy with their traded and the service and the car.

I think the only place a person can find the truth in a sales type experience is to find someone they connect with that has been recommended and they can trust. Buying a car is hard enough for some. Building a relationship with a good rep can bring years of easy buying:)
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    thanks...
    glad to help.
  • choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    Your one of the few that actually understood, the point i was trying to get across. Stalling issue is really a big concern even though you mite be one of the lucky ones with a normal engine. Lets hope idiotic ford engineers have done a better job with the duractec(though still can't be 100 percent trusted, maybe 90 percent)

I'm sure since you drive a millenia s, and if say you driven the mazda 6, ill bet you can still tell that the millenia s is alot smoother, gives you a cleaner pull even though the millenia s is alot heavier than the mazda 6 with duratec. I do understand that the 2.3L supercharged is alot of pain to fix up(all engines need tuning etc) but dbamac wouldn't you say instead of putting so much effort to twist, and enhance the duratec, do the same for the 2.3L supercharged engine?? I'm sure they could have made it alot more revolutionary(more stable, economic, less problems). I have heard the mini cooper s(which uses a supercharge) is no less expensive to fix than a normal v6 engine, and i'm sure mazda engineers are just as capable as the bmw ones to create or recreate such a type of engine. Its just weird why they would have used the duractec instead(hurts sales).