Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I never heard of Uddevala
  • dcbluesdcblues Member Posts: 4
    for all of your comments. After looking around at used cars for a few weeks and not finding any clean low miles cars, I found that with all the incentives and a slow month at my local dealer, I could get a new car for almost the same as what 2002 and 2003s are being advertised for. I took delivery on my titanium gray LPT last night. She's a beauty with light gray interior and the kickin' 901 sound system. I took the 17 inch wheels and will enjoy them this summer. Let's hope I can get through the last few weeks of winter!
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Jrosamc:

Jrosamc... My understnading is that they were put together in the Uddevala plant that was originally a joint venture between Volvo and Tom Walkinshaw Racing. In 2000 the workers went on strike because there was a pay dispute. Ideally, Volvo would pay Walkinshaw who was to pay the workers however there were issues around that. I learned that the hard way when I ordered mine in March of 2000 and 1 week later the plant went on strike. Volvo ended up buying out the Walkinshaw interest in the plant, kept the workers and they have been produced there ever since. I believe there are 1 or two more plants that may produce them but I am unclear on that.

dcblues
    Congrats. You're gonna love it! Especially that stereo system. CAREFUL ON 50 DURING THE WINTER WITH THOSE 17 INCHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Congrats, too, on the LPT. Don't remember if you were looking for converts or coupes. If you got the convert, which I have, I STRONGLY recommend geting the wind deflector. It's pricey, but well worth the many dollars. You will definitely enjoy the SC-901. Ya done good!

Goldie came back home this afternoon! Now if it would just stop raining she could go topless!!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Is the only plant that produces the C70.
    That is the only car that they build.
    Pininfarina now has control of the plant for producing the C70 replacement code named C50.
    The plant is not far from the main Torslanda facility.
  • apolloc70apolloc70 Member Posts: 13
    hey there, im in montreal, the weather getts real cold, and in the fall when the temp was at 32, the car stalled a few times, had it checked. it was the "mass air...something" during the winter, it never stalled, now that it's around 32 degrees again, it stalled tonight....?
    anyone have this happen to them ?
    (i was driving on the highway, i have the 98 coupe T5)
    should i get the same problem repaired again/get rid of it ?
  • traderagtraderag Member Posts: 8
    For all of the responses. I have continually forgotten to get back on here to see the feedback.

Yes, it was the window switch and it apparently is a common problem. We're now going on 3 weeks of no new problems, so maybe I'll catch a break. LOL.

In response to the burned CD problem, I would add that it's helpful to buy BLACK (bottom) discs. That was a hint passed onto me by a major audiophile friend (500 Gigs of music on disk), and it's helped. Discs that wouldn't play with a silver CD-R, play with the black CD-R. Supposedly it has something to do with the optical being able to read the tracks much easier.

Also, what is the deal with a new coupe design?? I had heard/read somewhere that a new design of the C70 was due soon. Is that the C50 referenced above? If so, is there anywhere to see an early concept of it?
    Cool....Something I had not heard.

As for the C50...
    I have scoured the web and seen nothing. I do know that my salesman showed me a small picture of it (about 4x6) from something that he had received from Volvo. Other than that I have not been able to find anything. I'm sure your saleman would have a picture of it.

Was talking to the service guys last weekend and they have been RAVING about the new S40. Evidently it's been suped up a bit (I hear 240hp)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    interesting. At one point I bought a pack of multi-colored CDs made by Maxell. I found that the black cds could not be read at all by my S70. The other darker colors like red and purple also gave me alot of difficulty. Any particular CDs your friend uses? Maybe its not so much a color problem as a production quality problem.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

By the way, the discs I use are Memorex, Black, CD-R up to 16X speed.

They aren't perfect, but I would say that 85% - 90% of the burned discs I have that are on the black CD-Rs, play on the 901 system.
    I've been using TDK's with no problem in the C70 or wife's ES300.
    Was having dinner with friends this weekend. Brandon was talking about the car he had in college and how it used to stall on him all the time because he had a cracked alternator and moisture would get into it and shut it down. I'm hoping that this is not what is causing your stalling but am wondering if it's possible that you have ice in the engine compartment that then thaws once you've been driving...
  • soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
    Well gentlemen....I fear I must bring you this news. I will no longer be a C70 man in about two months. I just placed my order for a 2004 S60 T5 GT nautic blue/indigo cloth/graphite leather, 17" amalthea wheels, all packages and options except nav/phone for $36,800 at my dealer in Indy.

I really hated to do it...but the growing family really made me think long and hard about keeping a coupe. I'll be sad to see my C70 coupe leave me, but I really do like the S60 and think it fits my needs perfectly...plus it will be a rare car with those color combinations. I haven't seen that interior ever, nor has the dealer and he said it would be the only one in town so that's good.

Any other C70 owners made the switch to S60 or considering it?

So for now I'll drive my baby another 5,000 miles (that's what I've got left on the lease) and enjoy every moment...that is excpet when I put my kid in the car seat in the back...what a pain!!
    Been there, done that. At certain times in our lives the need for cubic feet overrules the need for speed and fun. In '77 I sold my 57 TBird and bought a ststion wagon. However, you'll still be welcome here because the C70 fire will always be in your blood.
    ADOPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EUROPEAN BUYING PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd like to test drive one of these baby's and see how it runs. I like the specs and the way they look, but won't be changing over any time soon.
    Yea yea yea....I know I'm a misdirected child. What can I say? I gave in to the evil ways of the sedan. Believe me if I could I'd keep the C70 as well, but I'm not in that kind of financial situtation currently.

Adoption...hmmmmm. Now how would that help me.
    I considered european buying program, but again does that really help me. Schuhc on the other hand I'm not sure if he'll ever speak to me again...even though I'm a fellow hoosier and I would welcome him with open arms to my home and even give him a tour of my garage and let him sit in my new S60. Heck maybe he'd even let me relive the good ol' days when my C70 is gone and he'll let me drive his C70!

The C70 has served me well and will always hold a fond place in my heart. Thanks tmart for still welcoming me on this site.

To traderag, I drove the S60R MT this weekend....sweet car! Awesome pickup, great handling on corners, nice seats but almost too nice because they really hug you and don't allow any lateral motion (or medial for that fact for you medical types). I chose the S60 T5 to replace my baby (C70 coupe) because it's the same engine and I'm used to it and have been very happy with it and Volvo has been making it for a while. The R engine on the other hand is brand new. In fact the R I drove this weekend had the transmission replaced once already....something to think about. That's another reason I went with the S60 in an '04 version because it's been out for 3 years. Just like my C70 I got in an '01 model and it had been out for about three years so all the bugs had been worked out.

My C70 and I have two more trips planned. Chicago in a 2 weeks and Nashville in 4 weeks. Believe me we'll be cruising in style. Hey schuhc, maybe I'll even drive by your place and let you get a glimpse of her!! She'd love to see a fellow C70 coupe.
    Hoosier by birth...
    Boilermaker by the Grace of GOD!!!!!

I am saddened. But at the same time thrilled that you now have 17 inch rims, so I will look at the positive!!!!

The European Buying Program is pretty decent. For the XC90, I got a check back from Volvo for around $2,800.00. Two round trips to Sweeden and back (this can be altered though) and one night in the Raddison in Gotenborg. Not sure if they do the program for people leasing but I believe they do. I changed my flight so instead of going in and out of Gotenborg, I went into Copenhagen and out of Brussels. If you have hilton points and/or American miles, it is definitely worth it (as I think I already bored you guys with the fact that I only paid for gas and food on my way down to Budapest and back).

Only issues that may affect you is timing (took about 40 days for the 90 to come to the dealership) and the leasing, but if you and the wife are looking for a vacation.....

Give me a holler if you want, I'd be happy to take you out to dinner when you come up.

craigschuh@bagbyco.com
  • apolloc70apolloc70 Member Posts: 13
    my passenger door wont open from the outside, even if unlocked, i have to bend over to open it from the inside to let the person in. has this ever happened to anyone b4 ?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    anyone know when the new convertible model (I guess it will be the C40) is supposed to be available?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

It's the C50 and is supposed to be a retractable hardtop. I hear it's available in 2005.
    Come on guys...just one more post and we've reached 1,000!!! ooops.
  • siennac70siennac70 Member Posts: 2
    I too have that same problem and the dealer said it's the motor inside the door that needs to be changed.
    Bill, was in your area last weekend, but saw no C70's. Was in Los Colinas meeting my son's fiancee's parents. Arrived Saturday afternoon and left Sunday. Was a quick stay. We were on our way back from Branson for Spring Break. Saturday was surprisingly cool, but Sunday was great. Sorry I didn't see ya.
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    Come on, guys! I can't believe it's been three weeks without a peep. Everyone must be on spring break. Soledoc, we're sorry to see you trade in the baby, but I can appreciate the pain of getting in and out of the back seat. Let us know how you enjoy the S60 after you've driven it for a while. Has anyone heard anything about the new BMW 6 series? They look really hot in the ads.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Nice car, but with a surprisingly tight back seat for it's exterior dimensions.

And expensive.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I was begining to think maybe everyone sold their C70's and went elsewhere. I hope to have mine for a long time, so I'll be here. Even the Zaino board is kinda quiet.
    Concerning the 6 Series, saw it at the Houston Auto Show last week and I agree with Stickguy.
    I think we're at 1 month and counting for Soledoc to be rid of the best car he's ever owned. I was lucky enough to see the 6 series during their European launch when I was in Koln driving the XC90.

Granted it's a beamer, which I don't like, but it seems like it is one hell of a car. The interior does seem kind of tight and I have to think that's because of the 8cyl given that the trunk capacity is 13cft (c70 coupes are 13.1cft)

Tommy!!!! Get some sleep!!!! 2:25am????????
    I'm still here....you're right. About one more month and I'll be without a C70. Very sad. I did take it on a trip with the kid and dog down to Nashville for one last hurrah. She's still running great.

I am excited about getting the S60. I'll let you know.
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    Found a beautiful 2002 Cerified C70 at a local Dealer. Perfect condition and only 6,500 miles. Dealer said the car was originally bought at his Dealership by an older gentlemen who decided to trade it for an S80 because he was tired of subjecting his friends to climbing into the back seat. Needless to say, I totally benefited from his decision. Thanks to all who posted on this site because it allowed me to learn so much about the car.

The car is Ash Gold with Dark Grey Leather. Having never owned a Leather Interior, need some pointers on how to keep it clean and protected. Also, how is the Leather holding up after a few years? I know on some Manufacturers, the Leather doesn't hold up very good and was curious about Volvo. Thanks.
    I'm probably not the one to ask, but then again, maybe I am because I pay more attention to the exterior and probably not enough to the interior. That said, I have a '99 and if it isn't raining, the top is usually down. Have had no problems at all with the beige leather. When it gets dirty I use Zaino spray cleaner (Z9) and their treatment and conditioner(Z10). I know I should do it more often, but.....
    I also have the beige leather. I usually use "Mother's" in order to keep it clean. The only 'odd wear' is going to be on the seat behind your left shoulder depending on how tall you are/where you position the seat. I'm 6'1" and tend to have the seat all the way back. I do have a little wear because of the seatbelt strap but that's pretty much it. I think that with the dark grey you should be ok in the way of dirt.

The month of May....We lose one (Soledoc) and gain another (stevenh7)...
    just to chime in on the leather, my '98 S70 with 88K miles still has no cracks or tears and still feels great. Of course, since my top doesn't drop, its doesn't get quite the same exposure as the C70 'verts. So take it for what its worth.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

When I said 'all the way back' that would be the seat portion only. I sit at a 90 degree angle. Just don't want there to be any confusion seeing as I am probably the youngest one here.

I can see it now...Me driving down to Houston or in Indianapolis with the seat reclined all the way back and Tommy or Soledoc saying...."There goes Craig, rollin' to Dave Matthew's Band"
    Sunday and today were fabulous, not a cloud in the sky with the temp in the upper 70's!! Perfect topless driving weather.
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    And the questions start from the new driver:
      - The manual indicates that for city drivers
        oil should be changed every 5,000 miles.
        Is that what folks follow or do you do it
        at 3,000 miles as I've been used to.
      - The manual indicates that after driving for
        a period, you should keep the car running for
        several minutes before turning it off because
        of turbo. Do you all follow that guideline?
    Thanks.
    does it really say several minutes?

well, in any case, if you've been driving hard up until the time you stop, yes, you want to let it idle for about a minute. However, if you are like me and live in a development, you already drive a bit at low speed and low rpms for a couple of minutes before parking. That takes the place of letting it idle (its actually a bit better, IMHO, because you have the air running through the engine compartment to help cool the turbo a bit).

I have the car serviced every 7500 miles per my manual. I've got the low turbo engine, not the high. Maybe for the high turbo it's 5000. Have NEVER done the oil in any previous car at 3000. I go with the manufacturer, not the ones that want to sell you more oil.

For Gbrozen, IIRC, the manual does mention a several minutes cool down, but after hard driving. I agree with your procedure though, and have heard it elsewhere too. If one goes a mile or so at normal speeds after hard driving, the turbo would have time the spindown with no problems.
    I do have the oil changed every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. I also let the car idle for about a minute before driving. I do not do it after driving, as per Tmart, I live in a residential area so I have a good 3 minutes for the turbo to spindown.

So far with 77k my HPT has been pretty good. I check the floor every now and again for small oil drips as I understand that can be an indicator of turbo problems coming.

Tmart...we may be down there in either Aug, Sept or Oct. I'll let you know.
    As info, it's still rather HOT AND HUMID in August. Are you coming for business or pleasure?
    Don't think that I'm gonna take Squeaker and Lisa to Budapest like I had planned so thought that I would come down with them to see our friends that moved down there. Haven't had any good seafood since 98 when I lived in Annapolis so looking forward to it.
    There's bunches of great places to eat here. You definitely won't go hungry. Pappas has real good seafood as does Landry's. There's a great Cajun seafood place called Floyd's on FM1960 near me. Also the Aquarium downtown and at the Kemah Boardwalk.
  • agcpaagcpa Member Posts: 4
    I know there have been numerous discussions in the past regarding tires. But, maybe, none exactly as this question. So, here goes: I have q 2002 C70 with the original Pirelli 9000 tires. I have never really known how many miles I can get on the tires, because the tires attract nails and other problems like you wouldn't believe. Not a problem with tires; more an issue with my luck. Anyway, when getting two new tires this week, the dealer suggested I try some Toyo or Falken (sp?) tires. Their cost would have been about $140/tire for Y-rated tires rather than the $200/tire for the Pirelli's. Because I was only getting two tires and I wanted a match (brand and tread pattern), I opted for the Pirelli's (they ended up charging $170/tire), but I wonder if anyone has any experience with these other brands.
    Pirelli 6000's and haven't any real problems with them. After buying the car I bought road hazard certificates from Discount Tire. Around 20k the tires developed cracks in the sidewall and Discount Tire replaced them at no cost.

Just wondering if you got the wind deflector you'd asked about awhile back.
    My best friend who has abandoned me and gone to the State where the Cubs main rivals reside in has a Lexus (the old two door that looks like a stretched out AMC Pacer). He just bought some Falkens for it two months ago and he absolutely loves them.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Michelin, Continental, Falken, Nitto and Yokohama all make good replacement tires for the C70.
    Naturally, there are cost, noise and wear differences between them.
    My friend has the 18 inch Falken ZIEX tires. Great in the dry and wet of Houston but he says that the most pleasing thing about these tires vs. the Michelin's he had is the surprising low road noise. (He has a '96 Lexus SC400)

Here is the website he directed me to. I think I may actually try the Falkens on my next go round given that the Potenza's cost me $140.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com
  • agcpaagcpa Member Posts: 4
    Good memory on the windscreen. Yes, I ended up buying one. Got it out of a dealer from California (I believe). They had one in stock, shipped it, and I had it a couple of days later. Plus, it was about $100 less than the local dealers were charging, even with the shipping. Plus the local dealers were going to take a couple of weeks to get one in stock.

As for the screen itself, seems terribly overpriced for what you get. Yes it works okay (though nothing spectacular, if you ask me). But over $300 for something that can't take more than $25 to make is ridiculous