Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• good for you, rebates are dime a dozen, and 4.49%, well edmunds.com actually has an ad for 3.99% on the front page. Have you ever done any kind of homework on the mazda 6's reliability or the 626. You own a newer version of the 626, come on. Why am I gonna pay almost the same price for a 626 when I could pay just a ted bit more and own one of the most reliable vehicle in the world? I have known so many people who owned mazdas and infect my brother used to own one (626). 60000 miles and the transmition went bad. You heard father like son, well 626 like 6. Good for you.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Congrats! Nice pics! Can we see some pics of the Optitron gauges at night?

BTW, we do expect the standard 1000 miles report - you can thank Stretchsje for that :)

Dinu
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    Dinu, I went to Pittsburgh Auto Show this past Saturday and fell in love with the Black RX-8 they had on display.

Was in and out of a few different 6's. I really only liked the interior with leather and sunroof. The rear seat was it's biggest drawback in my opinion. I felt the slope of the roof made ingress/egress awkward and legroom wasn't outstanding. I also like it much better with the gfx on it, even though the wing doens't do much for me.

I'm sure it's a blast to drive, but just sitting in a convention center it left me wanting.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Jyu444, you might want to do your homework before you make statements like the 6 is just a 626. It isn't. No way, no how.
    "An average automobile owner do not care about how fast or how the vehicle handles the road."

I don't really care about 0-60 times, but I sure care about handling and road feel.

"Majority of them care about the way it looks and how the vechicle will take them from point a to b with out giving them any kind of headaches."

True! And if that's all you care about, then you made a good decision for you and got a Honda. Besides, if you don't get what handling is all about, you don't get Mazdas. The 6 is not for you.

"Therefore the winner in this category should have been the Camry."

If you say so...

"I'am 23 and I would buy the Accord over the Camry"

I'm 22 and I will not step foot in a Toyota showroom until their styling is improved.

"I promise you, when I'am 30, I would definately choose the Camry over all the others"

I bet you would.

Dinu
    But as a typical owner of a certain brand, one cannot see past that "H" on the hood to actually do some research and test drive another make, so we don't expect you to know that the 6 is an entirely new machine.

That's ok though, because you're happy with your car and we are happy with Mazdas.

Dinu
  • So the vehicle has no prior history, so therefore it may do well or may do horrible. From the previous mazdas, well I'am not willing to take that chance
    Yes. We all know that.

You are happy with your car, please let us discuss what is either ours or might be. If you have NO intention whatever of owning a Mazda6, you probably don't have much to add here, with all due respect.
  • making a mistake like a lot of you guys have made
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thank you Jason, you have made your point. No need to beat it into the ground.
  • I have been driving around my current car - a Mazda - for 10 years and have had NO PROBLEMS with it whatsoever other than routine maintenance stuff. So I have faith in Mazda reliability, as I have first-hand experience.
  • ruefusruefus Posts: 254
    Spare us Jason. Your cause is not so noble as to 'save us', but it is transparent and rather useless.

Besides, your point completly misses the mark. This car has a history and has been proven in different countries and climates all over the world prior to coming to the states. Besides Canada, I believe we're the last to get it.
  • Do you think it would make ANY DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER if we all just inundated Mazda with requests/demands for the Hatchback in North America sooner than their scheduled Dec03/Jan04 release?? Flood them with emails and telephone calls? Talk to our local dealers and have them pass the message on to their regional/district headquarters? Maybe if it is made clear that the "want" and "demand" is there, they'll change their plans and release it in the summer 04? And if it's made clear that lots of people aren't going to buy until the Hatch IS here, so why not do it sooner?

musa@mazdausa.com

Or is it just a moot point and Mazda will do it when they darn well plan to do it and that's that?
    Car launches take incredible amounts of planning and execution. I doubt seriously the launch could be moved up any earlier now.

December will be here before you know it.

I, too, am waiting, though I am waiting for Sirius more than anything else, I would prefer the hatch to the sedan!
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Thank you Jason for sparing me from the Mazda6. I don't know what I would do without a forum like this. What was I thinking? A Mazda6? I must have been out of my mind. Thank you all for contributing to this interesting forum, but I think I'm am going to be a Camry or Accord forum regular from here on out. Adios. It's been fun.
  • what is Sirius?
    Really, really cool satellite radio. 60 music channels, no commercials...coast to coast reception. Nearly any kind of music you could want, anywhere in the USA.

Yes, its $13 a month, but that is less than one CD. I hate to sound almost like a company plant (I'm not), but it really is that great. I have it in my 2000 Impala LS, though it is the FM modulator version. Much better if factory.

See http://www.sirius.com for more details.

XM is the competitor, it's only 9.99 a month, but has commercials on most channels. XM has signed contracts with GM and Honda, Sirius with Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, Nissan, etc.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Tv commercials are not going to sell me a car. VW's adds are ok but I don't think their commmercials are all great. As far as Mazda's reliabity is concerned their reliability is better than most out there. As far as Honda is concerned their styling has really gone down the toilet with younger buyers. As far as Mazda's reliabity is concerned the MPV, Protege, Miata are better than average. The 626 had been hovering around average to better than average the last few years. The Tribute has had bad reliabity because it is more Ford than Mazda. The 6 is more Mazda alot more than Ford.
  • Been following this forum for quite a bit now and have posted a couple of times. I was cross-shopping the 6 against several others vehicles.

I drove several different 6's, auto and stick, and liked the car -- particularly the stick -- quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I sold my truck rather quickly and ended up needing a car ASAP as I only had my Ducati left to commute.

Truth is, I just could not find the car I wanted on any dealer lot in the Phoenix metro area. Add to that the lease rates I was quoted just weren't competitive in my opinion.

I ended up leasing a fully loaded 2003 Saab 9-3 sedan. Granted, this is really another class of vechicle from the Mazda, but at $360/month for 36 months, I couldn't pass it up! What a great car this is.

Anyway, I'll be moseying along to the Saab forum I suppose (grin), but I wish you all luck in your choices. The 6 really is a nice car, I probably would've gotten it if I could've found what I wanted (6i, stick, sport package, leather).
    Dion

BTW: After getting the Saab, I FINALLY saw my first 6 on the road: a black i with Sport package. Younger female driving. The car looked very nice.
    Congratulations on your new car. I don't see too many Saab's around. BMW'S are everywhere. I even see more Volvo's than Saabs. I have seen Saab's interior: its very nice. Much like the 6: its not in the spotlight as much as its competitors but its a sleeper next to all the MB's, BMW's, and Audi's. Another good side of it is you don't see your own car alot.
  • cookie01cookie01 Posts: 369
    John, do you own a Mazda6 yet?
    I too was in an Impala 2000. It was a lease, and is gone now.
    My husband is really ticked that I'm not buying a new Impala. And I can see his point on a few issues.

What is your reason for wanting a 6 over your Impala (or a new Impala)?

Getting a new 03 Chev is my third choice if getting the 6s the way I want it won't work out. I know the deals on the Impalas are top notch right now.

Just looking for another point of view.

Cookie.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    One of our Mazda dealers has a Saab store next door. I completely applaud your purchase. The new 9-3 is awesome. I would have bought one but there were no 5 speeds to be found on the lot. The new notchback design is very nice and it has a very aggressive look.

As far as the advertising topic that's being discussed....I agree with the post that says that the 6 commercials are not being targeted at the person who would buy the regular versions of this car. That zoom-zoom thing is kinda juvenile.

Using Honda as an example...The Element commercials won't work for the Accord. And the Accords commercials won't work for the Civic.

Mazda is using zoom-zoom for everything from the MPV to the Miata. That's not gonna work.
  • On their website's "Build Your Own" for USA. Separate options for Rear Wing Spoiler and Rear Lip Spoiler!

Keep tweaking...keep tweaking!
    How much does a commercial really impact buying a car? Mitsubishi has good ads for the youth but personally last generation Eclipse looks better than the current generation. I wouldn't touch the current generation. Toyota has the worst marketing in my opinion with the exception of the Celica ads when the Celica debut for the 2000 model year. Yet Toyota is the 4th best selling automaker in the US. Pontiac has the best ads with "Fuel For the Soul" but their cars are sloppily styled with the exception of the Boneville.
  • ruefusruefus Posts: 254
    You want brand recognition (zoom-zoom, or what have you) and product awareness. Beyond that you can tweak the message to appeal more to the demographic you think wants to buy your product.

Awareness and recognition are what it's about.

And Zoom-zoom IS juvenile. How could it not be with a pre-pubescent kid promoting it. That's the entire point. It's an obvious appeal to the little kid in each of us.
    Cookie, I love my Impala. I would buy another but I find many of the things that Mr. Lutz has cut out of the car to save costs bother me, everything from a non-lit PRNDL on the floorshifter to no driver's side seatback pocket, to no changeholder. I look at all those things that have been cut and I wonder what else I can't see has been cut.

I see the SS is coming out, but I feel the Mazda6 (or GTP) is more to my liking. I drove a 6, loved it. Sirius is ALL that is holding me back right now.
    I think Mazda got the demographic they wanted with the Protege 5. Mazda did struggle alot with pathetic marketing in the mid to late 90's. The last generation of 626 was difficult to market because it was in no mans land marketing wise. The 93-97 had those Ford Tranny problems with the 4 cyl auto that really blew what could have been a major hit was only a minor hit for that generation of 626. The 95-98 Protege was bland as can be. The 95 Millenia wasn't good for Mazda because Mazda is not noted for luxury cars. The Millenia did enjoy a little of a come back when they refreshed the exterior after the 1998 model year. The 1999-2000 Millenia is one of the best looking cars ever styling wise in my opinion. The 2001 refreshening looked like a bloated 626. In the late 80's/early 90's was the only time Mazda was really in the spotlight with the RX-7, Miata, and 88-92 MX-6. In 94 I think there was a Ford Trans in the MX-6 witch diminished sales. Mazda has changed up some: the 99 Protege was a definite improvement styling wise from the 95-98 model. The 6 is marketable where the last generation of 626 was not. The RX-8 I'm still torn with: could be a major flop or could be a major hit. To me there is no in between for that car.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    do not sell handling, power, speed, and styling; they sell what the product will do for you emotionally. It's a proven fact that most purchases are made based on emotion, excitement, and how much attention the buyer will get.

The main problem with the Mazda6 commercials is they look like all the other hot car commercials: shot from a helicopter showing a speeding silver car on a twisty road. Even the ligting is the same.

What I don't understand about today's car commercials is they are shown on dingy, dark city streets in industrial parts of town. Those cities do not represent America, do not represent most buyers. That's why it is difficult to identify with the vehicles, much less want to buy them.

fowler3
    Having the right product at certain times for your target audience. Honda had that in the 80's and 90's. Chrysler had that in the mid to late 90's. VW has had that in the last few years. I think Mazda has it now. The mid 90's is where Mazda went out of their target audience. They thought making styled cars like Honda and Toyota did would sell more cars: it backfired back time just ask Nissan.