Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Wagon

Comments

• gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Thanks mz6greyghost, I'll definitely be getting the 16' snows. I'll probably also shop around for some Mazda6 16" original rims. I should be able to find someone moving up to 17's or 18's selling them used.

Call me shallow but for 4 months out of the year I still need alloy wheels.

I think $550 is reasonable , if I can get 4 winters out of them , thats only $125 per winter. Cheap insurance for sure.
  • jsnewjerseyjsnewjersey Member Posts: 21
    The Sales Manager there Brent Reed promised me a check to reimburse me for a ticket I received when the Mazda 6 Wagon that was three days old broke down in route to Manhattan.He filed out paper work in front of me to generate the check..guess what? Two months later no check. He also will not cancel my gap insurance. I've taken this up with Mazda credit. Stay far way from this dealer.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Isn't that comment kinda skirting the limits of the Member Agreement?
  • jsnewjerseyjsnewjersey Member Posts: 21
    why should some other well intentioned buyer be taken advantage of?
    It's more important to know where to buy your car .........and Ramsey Mazda ain't it.
  • boatsboats Member Posts: 19
    It's getting to crunch time and I'm trying to decide about the M6 wagon... got the big dog (love the space/love the car), but commute a hundred miles a day... I need comfort and good gas mileage. What are you folks getting for gas mileage in your 2005 automatics on the highway? How are your seats for distance? Thanks!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have a 2004 wagon with 9000 miles. So far, positives are
    1) space -- I have 2 dogs and it's a great dog car
    2) comfort -- seats are really nice and long distance drives have been terrific
    3) reliability -- no problems so far
    4) handling -- love to drive it. It's even ok in snow so far.

The negative, and it's a big one if you have to drive 100 miles each day, is gas mileage. I have gotten 25 mpg on highway drives, but more generally in mixed driving, I'm lucky to average 20 mpg and in the winter, 17-18 mpg. I'm very disappointed in the mpg. I have a Nissan Maxima, also V6, that gets much better gas mileage (rarely under 23 mpg in all town driving). If your commute is mostly highway, though, it might not be so noticeable. I'm not sure what would be better though at this time given the above positives. Maybe a hybrid in a few years.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Seems like 25 mpg highway is pretty typical for the wagon... I just love this little car, but gas mileage is something of a deal breaker... I think I could fit my life into the 3 hatchback (only have the 1 small pony-sized dog), but I'm getting a little old and my back isn't what it used to be (the reason I have to sell my beautiful Miata :cry: )... Anybody familiar with the M6 drive the M3 for any distance? unfortunately, I can't tell how comfortable it will be from a test drive... The seats seem good in the M3 and I wouldn't expect a "Miata ride" out of it (less stiff), but without driving it for a couple hundred miles, it's just too hard too tell... Comments?
    I'm 6-1 and weigh 180 pounds. I'm definitely a "big 'n tall" guy -- with more emphasis on the "big" unfortunately. (46-inch waist, size 13 shoe.)

I've owned my 2005 Mazda3 hatch (5-door, wagon, whatever) for 6,100 miles now. I've been on several 3-hour + trips in it and have enjoyed the seats and the room. And I can even put the front seat where I like it and still get in the seat behind it without eating my knees.

Average mileage I've observed, mostly commuting from the 'burbs to work downtown, is around 27. On my one big trip to the mountains (which included all hilly backroads and not one mile of interstate), I got about 31. Of course, I have the 5-speed -- I wouldn't dare zoom any other way.

:shades:

Meade
  • slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    I'm getting 24-26 MPG driving my wagon locally (mostly rural/suburban roads, very little highway), but when I go on trips which are mostly highway driving I get 26+ MPG, my highest was 27.8 MPG for a three tank trip. I have the # of gallons and mileage saved in my computer for EVERY fuel stop I've made since I bought the car last November, and I only got worse than 24 MPG a handful of times during the first 3 months in cold weather.

The Mazda6 is certainly not the best for mileage in it's class, but you're really trading off some mileage for more driving excitement in my opinion.

Sorry, I only test drove the M3 once so I can't really say how it would be on long trips.
    Forgot to add that I have the MT in my wagon.
    Thanks, slickdog... that encourages me some... I can live with 26+mpg hwy, but 24 is just too depressing... I would get the AT, as I'm in So. Cal rush hour traffic (fortunately, I really love my job or I wouldn't be making the drive), but with the price of gas out here... YIKES! As for the M3, my problem is my 50+ year old back... I don't need to tear it up or wear it out any faster than necessary... (sucks gettin' old!)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'm 6-1 and weigh 180 pounds. I'm definitely a "big 'n tall" guy -- with more emphasis on the "big" unfortunately. (46-inch waist, size 13 shoe.)

6-1, 180, and 46" waist??
    My mileage seems to be on the high end of the range I've seen reported by others, for some reason. Not sure if the AT or MT would make much difference or not either.

I really liked the M3, and I didn't really need the size of the M6 because I already have an Outback, but I just couldn't live with the smaller passenger compartment. I'm tall and long legged but I like MT equipped cars, so I have the left knee hits steering wheel when declutching problem in short vehicles.

Good luck with your search, I know it aint easy.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769

6-1, 180, and 46" waist??

I think I remember reading 280 a few posts back; perhaps Dr. Meade has invented a crash diet.
    You guys are right. Typo!

Make that 4-1, 80 pounds and a 172-inch waist.

Have a great weekend at my expense!

Meade
    You guys are funny! Went and drove the M3 hatchback... its a nice car and reminds me of a Miata with a wagon on the back... got to drive the M3 HB and the M6 wagon back to back and, its the M6 wagon... size, comfort... it really has it all... I may have to just bite the MPG bullet and live with what I get...

But if I were 20, I'd sure want that M3...!
    Glad you liked the M6. Like I said, there aren't really too many alternatives for what you get with the M6 wagon. For me right now, the positives outweigh the one negative, the mpg.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • satchmosatchmo Member Posts: 34
    I've read somewhere (another Edmunds forum?) that, in the near future, Mazda was going to cease U.S. production of its Mazda6 wagon and hatchback models because of slow sales. Since I see quite a few of these cars in the Washington DC area, I was surprised. Can anyone confirm or debunk this rumor?
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I think that would be really unfortunate. One real advantage the Mazda 6 has over its competitors is the availability of the wagon and hatch bodystyles and their added utility. However Mazda 6 sales are up this year, and they're built in a plant that also builds the Ford Mustang, which is of course selling like hotcakes. They may just be running out of room.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Maybe they should offer the wagon with AWD. Do you think that would sell?
    Who said the Mazda6 wagon is going to be discontinued? I haven't heard that anywhere. From the news I've read, sales are doing quite well and inventories are rather low at this point.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Okay everyone, calm down... ;)

As far as I've heard, the wagon will be around at least through '06. If the rumored larger redesigned 6 comes out in '07 (or '08), will the wagon still be around?

Your guess is as good as mine...
  • satchmosatchmo Member Posts: 34
    2WD is actually more efficient, in terms of fuel economy and acceleration, than AWD --the exception might be for a very high performance car (exceeding, say 250 lbs-ft of torque) that also has a FWD engine configuration(for instance, the MazdaSpeed6): then AWD eliminates torque-steer and traction problems. Also, if the Mazda6 were designed as an AWD vehicle, it would place Mazda in more direct competiion with the market niche already held by Subaru (whereas currently, the Mazda6 is a less expensive, lower maintenance vehicle than, say, the Subaru Legacy GT.) In other words, I'm not sure it would be advisable to compete with Subaru at its own game.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope that everyone's been having a great summer! Now that we're getting past all that summer driving (1200 miles on this years vacation...LOL) it's time to get back into the swing of chat. Stop in to say Hello!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Will probably be kept exclusive to the Jag Wagon. I don't think Ford wants to eat into Freestyle sales also.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    In Europe the Mazda 6 wagon is available with AWD and is 4 cyl. only--the V6 is not compatible with the AWD hardware on the current platform, Ford widened it for te Fusion etc, to accomodate AWD. Interestingly the Jaguar X-Type is availble with FWD in Europe.--better mileage. Will the next gen Mazda 6 have AWD? I don't know. I don't know if there will be a wagon for North America, the 6 based MX Crosssport debuts next spring...
  • gt40gt40 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have an '04 also and in mixed city and short highway I've gotten as low as 16-17mpg. Straight highway around 24.5. It is one of the negatives with this car. They should have made the 2.3l available. It still would've been able to do the job and mileage would be better. (also, I hate the controls of the HVAC and radio - rotary dials, boys!!) Car is fun to drive, though.
  • gt40gt40 Member Posts: 2
    Hey. I am glad someone else has this gripe. I bought a wagon last fall. Very nice car. (hope the quality is there w/Toyota) This wagon should have 15"s or 16"s, not the 17" monsters it comes with. (I don't care how it looks) They also should have the 4 cyl available for better mileage. (I get under 20 mpg in mixed driving with the 5 spd. auto - the family Caravan does better!) And how about a re-design of the HVAC controls to rotary dials. (a pet peeve of mine)

I went out and purchased some 17" Blizzacks and wheels last year for the snow - I am in Syracuse, NY. OUCH! Car does run very well, but it is just a commuter.

Good luck.
    The negative ... is gas mileage. I have gotten 25 mpg on highway drives ... in mixed driving, I'm lucky to average 20 mpg and in the winter, 17-18 mpg. I'm very disappointed

If you don't mind me asking what mpg were you expecting? According to Consumer Reports you seem to be getting predicted fuel economy from your Mazda6 wagon. Here is a table from page 37 for "Wagons and hatchbacks" in the CR Annual Auto Issue (April 2005). They are in order of overall score; the cars in bold are recommended by CR.

VW Passat GLX 4motion : 18 mpg overall
    VW Passat GLS 4 cyl. : 21 mpg overall
    Ford Focus ZXW SE : 23 mpg overall
    Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd : 21 mpg overall
    Mazda 6 s : 19 mpg overall
    Volvo XC70 : 18 mpg overall
    Pontiac Vibe FWD : 26 mpg overall
    Toyota Matrix XR AWD : 24 mpg overall
    Ford Focus ZX5 : 24 mpg overall
    Chev Malibu Maxx LS V6 : 21 mpg overall
    Volvo V50 : 20 mpg overall
    Chrysler PT Cruiser Ltd. : 18 mpg overall
    Subaru Impreza Outback Sport : 22 mpg overall
    Dodge Magnum SXT: 19 mpg overall
    Scion XB : 30 mpg overall

Not surprisingly smaller, lighter vehicles (like the ScionXB, Ford Focus and Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe) tend to get better mpg in this class. The Mazda3 Sport hatchback, which was not included in the listing, I would venture to guess gets comparable mpg.
    This wagon should have 15"s or 16"s, not the 17" monsters it comes with ... purchased some 17" Blizzacks and wheels last year for the snow

Several tire shops advised me to downsize for better control in winter driving; I use 16" summer tires+rims and 14" winter tires+rims; not only have the 14's handled three winters masterfully, but they are less costly. You may want to check your drivers manual for recommended sizes and with tire experts (like the local experts from TireRack here in Edmunds) for options.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I went out and purchased some 17" Blizzacks and wheels last year for the snow - I am in Syracuse, NY. OUCH! Car does run very well, but it is just a commuter.

Nice to see a fellow 6'er from CNY on the boards! I'm from Pennellville and I've got a 6S Sedan.

I bought 16" wheels and tires for winter. The 16" steel wheels (standard on 6i, BTW) and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's were from Tirerack. They give you about 95% traction of a regular snow tire (and MUCH BETTER traction than the 17" OEM Michelins), but they are H-speed rated, so they don't squirm at all in dry weather (unlike regular winter tires).

One word: Phenominal!

Great dry traction both on the highway and in tight corners. They don't feel like they're going to double-over off the wheel in high-speed cornering, unlike the last set of Blizzaks I owned. Wet traction is great. Slushy and snow-covered roads are no problem. I passed SUV's on I-481 with 3 inches of fresh snow, and my TCS light never came on, unless I provoked it, of course...

Hope to see you out there sometime...
    For all you Mazda6 wagon (or 5-door) owners out there, have you noticed the gas tank sloshing noise? Both YES and NO answers would be appreciated.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Okay... I'm going from a Camry to the 2006 Mazda6 Wagon soon. [BTW, I 'm actually a long-time Mazda fan.] My question is simple: Are Wagon owners happy overall with the ride comfort? I know the ride is not as plush as a Camry, but firm and compliant -- as ascertained from my (2) 30 min testdrives.

You tell me! Can you take this car on long road trips... and not have a jiggly voice over Hwy transition strips?

Mazda6s... "gas tank sloshing" noise is normal and heard in all cars I 've ever owned or drived. Remember, it's 15+ gallons of liquid in a semi-rectangular, shallow tank.

Does anyone have the complete MY2006 Mazda6 Specs/Configurations line-up yet? These cars are already on trucks to the dealers so I 've heard. Thanks.
    I don't know what you've been driving, but I've never had a car that had that problem.
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    Is this something that people hear only in the 5 dr. or wagon,because i don't hear the sloshing at all in my sedan.
  • ccwinslowccwinslow Member Posts: 29
    I don't hear gasoline sloshing at all in my wagon.

Comfort is great - I've driven 800+ miles one way in a day. No problems, no fatigue, no lower back pain. Feel nicely cushioned in the driver's seat. The 2 passengers (both adult women) had no complaints either.

There are a few rattles that come and go - not annoying enough to bother me.

I used to drive a '94 Camry. The car was solid, quiet, and smooth. The 6 wagon doesn't quite equal it, but it comes close. Its sporty good looks and handling make up for that tiny deficit.

Bose stereo is awesome.

I've had only 1 problem in 16K miles in the past year: the fan stopped working right - it blows all the time. A "blower resistor" was ordered and is at the dealer awaiting installation tomorrow.
    OK, thats one NO SLOSH vote for the wagon.

ercizoom - I've never seen it reported for the sedan, only the 5-door and wagon. This is kind of a mystery, since I believe the tank is under the back seat on all models.
    And one semi-yes sometimes vote. Once in a great while if I park on an incline and turn the engine off quickly I hear it.

But that is only twice in 7,000 miles.
    Has anyone had a dealer roof rack installed? I know there was a discuusion about this a while ago, and someone said that Mazda was making them available for dealers to install.

I have a Yakima rack on now to carry bikes but the Mazda rack looks nicer because it is closer to the roof and not as big as the Yakima.
    Wagon
    Yes - 0
    Barely - 1
    No - 1

5-door
    Yes - 0
    Barely - 0
    No - 0
    Yes, I have the sloshing in my wagon, but only when the tank is nearly full and I'm maneuvering in my driveway (lots of back and forth motion seems to do it).
    OK, with slickdog's vote we have:

Wagon
    Yes - 0
    Barely/Nearly-Full-Tank - 2
    No - 1

5-door
    Yes - 0
    Barely/Nearly-Full-Tank - 0
    No - 0
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Member Posts: 58
    I drive a 04 MZ6 wagon, have put on close to 11,000 miles. Don't hear the sloshing noise in my car.

GK
    After adding GK's NO vote:

Wagon
    Yes - 0
    No - 2

5-door
    Yes - 0
    No - 0
    OK, with lefty's 5-door vote (and a new category) we have:

Wagon
    Yes - 0
    Occassionally/Half-Full-Tank - 0
    No - 2

5-door
    Yes - 0
    Occassionally/Half-Full-Tank - 1
    No - 0
  • nozoomnozoom Member Posts: 2
    2005 Mazda6 sportwagon, leather seating.....The driver's seat is excellent, comfortable and adjustable. The passengers, however, are suffering. The front passenger seat is too short with very little support for the thighs. It is low and has no height or angle adjustment option.
    The back seat is hard and unforgiving. The upright part of this bench seat is angled back too sharply and cannot be adjusted to a more upright position. The headrests are like stone. We travel with a load of cushions and neck rolls for comfort.
    That said, the car drives like a dream.
    A shame about the seats....there will be no long trips in this car.
    I have an '04 wagon with leather also, almost 10,000 miles. We have taken it on long trips and everyone finds it to be extremely comfortable. A huge improvement over the Subaru Forester it replaced (you want hard and unforgiving rear seats, there's your vehicle), so maybe it depends on your comparison. to my Nissan Maxima? No, not as comfy, but as a compact wagon it has a lot of leg and toe room and the seats are very comfortable. And it could hold all our college-bound daughter's gear.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Member Posts: 58
    So far I haven't had adults sit in the rear seat, but I have a toddler who sits in a booster seat and the angled back really keeps her confortable during long trips. She finds it very comfortable compared to my Xterra, which has rear seat upright and not to mention the lousy ride. The seat angle was one of the things that impressed me very much when I was shopping for a wagon. The rear seats, legroom and not so firm seats were the reasons why I chose MZ6 over Outback.

I use to get frequent back aches while I was driving my 95 Camry, it's gone since I replaced it with this wagon. Like Suydam mentioned, maybe it depends on what you compare it to.
  • nozoomnozoom Member Posts: 2
    Re Toddler seats, I did think that this would be the perfect back seat for kids & their car seats, but we are past that and into the "moving stuff to college" stage!
    Fortunately, we don't use the back seat that often and I agree there is tons of space back there and certainly no complaints about being cramped. We goofed and didn't notice the lack of adjustment options on that front passenger seat though. Most recent vehicles were VW and Saab.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I've driven up to 500 mi in a day with no back fatigue (6S w/leather); passengers all feel seats are comfortable. Road noise coulde be toned down a bit but I've grown used to it. My back is sensitive to a bad drivers seat and the only car I've had with a better one than the Mazda was a 2000 Passat. VW sure knows how to make a comfy seat- too bad they don't know how to make a reliable car.
This discussion has been closed.