Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Wagon

Comments

• mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Sloshing votes so far:

Wagon
    Yes - 0
    Barely/Nearly-Full-Tank - 2
    Occassionally/Half-Full-Tank - 0
    No - 2

5-door
    Yes - 0
    Barely/Nearly-Full-Tank - 0
    Occassionally/Half-Full-Tank - 1
    No - 1
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I always have 2 in mine. My kids are on the tall side and they have no problems at all, even with my seat all the way back.

Once in a while when the wife mini-van is in the shop I'll need to squeeze the third child seat. They all fit but it definitely not as nice as having an arm lengths distance between them.
  • demardemar Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a used '04 Mazda 6 wagon, to replace my current '00 MPV. (There comes a time in every man's life when he outgrows his minivan). The particular one I'm looking at is pretty much a base model, without the leather upholstery. A friend has complained to me that he drove a 6 sedan with cloth interior on a long trip and found the seats to be uncomfortable (but it may have been a 6i - is there a difference in the seats between the i and s models?). Anyone care to weigh in on seat comfort? I'm 6'1", 180lb.

Any other pros and cons about this particular car?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    The wagon only comes as a 6s. You can have them add leather. My dealer added leather and seat heaters when I bought my '04 a year ago.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • hoyaonehoyaone Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 with 12,000 miles. I've found the cloth seats to be very comfortable on long drives of 6-8 hours. The "s" designation mostly deals with engine and suspension changes, not interior.
  • waygorkedwaygorked Member Posts: 1
    I've got an '04 wagon, with cloth, bose, and a 5 speed that just turned over 10k miles. I love the car, with a couple of reservations. First, the cloth absolutely sucks. My front passenger seat is so frayed and pilled that it looks like an old angora sweater, this despite me rarely having anyone in the seat. My dealer is replacing it under warranty, and I'm trying to cut a deal with him for aftermarket leather instead. I would be happy with good cloth, but there's no way this will stand up over the long haul. Mazda clearly gets this is a problem as they have new cloth for '06, which apparently is much nicer. Second, the cd changer is also a pile of junk. Mine jammed around 1000 miles ago, and since it has a CDR inside, this violates the warranty, as they can claim that a nonstandard CD caused the problem. Again, many posts on various forums point to this as a problem. Rather than ponying up the $650 for a new changer, I'm having the CD/MP3 player installed, which I think is a better option than a changer at any rate. I would strongly suggest getting a dealer swap on this prior to delivery it you are getting it from a lot.

Otherwise, it's a great car. Reasonable but not great on gas if you can resist flogging it, eager and willing to play when you can't, and handles much better than my wife's audi A4 avant. As for comfort, I'm 6'1" and 180lbs, with a long torso, and generally have difficulty fitting well into most anything. It took me about 2 minutes to get comfortable in my 6, and it is just fine on long trips.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    just gave the Mazda 6 4cyl. and the 6 wagon a recommended buy in their latest issue. can see the 4cyl difference but don't know why the wagon would be different than the 6s sedan. Maybe the Flat Rock boys took more pride in building a beautiful wagon

I guess my stuffing the ballot box paid off. ;)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    After you're done stuffing the ballot box :P

Time again for our weekly Mazda Club Chat. The 5 has been the hot chat topic lately, but all you 6 fans are certainly welcome too!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The weekly Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • hoxhox Member Posts: 24
    What deals are you seeing on Mazda 6 Wagons? I'm looking at an new 05 fully loaded, Bose, leather, 6 disc CD, etc. It retails for $27,620 MSRP. Pricing without MAC financing cash ($1,000) is $6,000 off bringing it to $21,620 or $20,620 with the financing incentive.

How does this compare???

Thanks,

Hox :shades:
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Depends on where you live. Did you check out the edmunds.com pricing? There are a few more websites that can help you out, but their names escape me right now.

For an '05, I bet you'll be able to knock off another $2K at least. Find out what invoice is for the car, and start off at least $3K beneath that, and work your way up. Again, it depends on where you live...

Good luck!
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    Is it just me, or is the "D" pillar (for the rear hatch/window) angled slightly more towards the front on the 2006 model? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I like the look of the 2006 better than previous models.

Thanks.

- Greg
  • eswjongeswjong Member Posts: 6
    Hi there,

My 2004 wagon (23,000kms) has been violently vibrating once I exceed speeds of around 100 km/hr (~ 60mph). When I say my wagon I mean the entire car, not just the steering wheel or dash. It's like a plane flying through turbulance. I've made an appointment to bring it in but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to wha it might be.

I just took the car in for a check / tune up. It was fine before then (I drove 10 hours with it a couple of days before at the 120 km/hr.

thanks!
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    My first suspect would be a bad tire.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    My first suspect would be a bad tire.

Agreed. Check your tire pressure to see if you have a slow leak; I was riding on a deflating tire for a couple of days this summer before I realized the problem.

The next most obvious suspect is a rim that got whacked by pothole.
    It could be as simple as a tire falling out of balance, or a weight falling off the rim. A bent rim can also be the problem.

As mentioned before, make sure the tire pressures are up to spec, and take it easy on the highways between now and your appointment.

Good luck.
  • jsnewjerseyjsnewjersey Member Posts: 21
    My 2005 Wagon is a Lemon...it has now died three times since it was purchased May 15th.All three times going to work causing me to miss work. The onboard computer is doing something with the throttle which no one can figure out.Simultaneously the engine light goes on and the bucks violently, losing power and finally reduced to a intermittent chug. My dealer Ramsey Mazda tells me to take it up with Mazda......I got a Lemon Law attorney and here we go.

BTW, the loaner process today (third breakdown)was something you won't believe.....I was picked up at the dealership by an Enterprise rent a car guy,driven over to Enterprise and then had to do a whole rental agreement.....although Mazda is paying.That's Mazda's idea of a dealer loaner.

When...and I mean when the car runs I love it but the day my attorney tells me we won....it's history.
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Member Posts: 58
    I am planning on replacing the 17" all seasons tires on my 04 wagon with the 16" winter tires, the tires and alloy wheels will cost me close to $800 (steel wheels not available at tirerack). I am not sure if it is worth that price. If I had checked about this around June/July, maybe I would had got a good deal, was a little hesitant at that time.

Thought of replacing just the tires, then I read few postings that say 16" handle better in snow and ice. Also not sure whether to go for Pilot Alpin PA2 or the Dunlop Sport M3. At tirerack, I see that the latter has better ratings than the former.

I live in Minnesota where we get lot of snow and my commute is 70 miles/day. Any suggestions?

Thanx,
    GK
    Last winter, I bought 16" wheels and the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s, and I just put them back on this past weekend.

Last winter, they were great, in slushy snow, packed powder, and even an empty parking lot with 6" of fresh snow. The TCS light never came on unless I purposely provoked it, and the 6 tracked straight and true, whether it was turning a corner, or doing 60 down a snow-covered highway. I was even passing SUVs!

Took them off last spring, and after 5000 miles, they only lost 1/32" of tread. Outstanding wear for snow tires.

I've heard nothing but good things about the M3s also. The only reason why I choose the PA2s was that they were less expensive. Either way, you're making a wise choice with getting 16" wheels and snow tires.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    steel wheels not available at tirerack
    I find that remarkable! I guess everyone got the same idea at the same time. Perhaps this is temporary. You can always order the tires and have your garage order the steel rims although this may increase the cost of the package. The reason steel is preferred is a) to lower the cost; b) snow, salt, sand will do their darnest on your shiny wheels.
    I checked with Tirerack about the lack of steel wheels about 6 weeks ago. According to them, due to the price of steel, they have cut back on the amount of steel wheels that they're carrying this winter, and only carrying them on the more "popular" cars (they have then for the Honda Accord, for example, a co-worker just ordered from them).

Take it as you will, I'm just relaying the message...
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Anyone have any detailson iPod integration for the ? We are looking at a 6 wagon and really want a stock stereo with an input jack this time around. i don't see anything mentioned on the mazda site about it.
  • cnybrocnybro Member Posts: 29
    You can do it, but it's not offered by Mazda. A Mazda performance shop called RPM in the Dallas area has an iPod adapter kit for the Mazda they've imported. See http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=142
    I've ordered and installed it. Works great! Plus it has an extra audio jack in case you want to plug in something besides an iPod, like another type of MP3 player. Many other Mazdas owners in my club have installed it also with great success.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I recently stopped by a Mazda dealer to look at the 3. The dealer tried to talk me into a 6 wagon (wish there was a 3 wagon - with the 2.0 engine). I was not interested because it gets the same mpg as my minivan, but was amazed at the price - $16,999 for a brand new car. This was for a manual transmission model. Is this typical?
    Thanks on the iPod info!!

We've had such great luck with our Protege5 that now that we need something bigger a 6 Wagon is right at the top of the list.

It helps that they are dealing like CRAZY on the, too. :)
  • satchmosatchmo Member Posts: 34
    Just wondering if anyone out there knows whether the Mazda CX-7 is intended to replace (or supersede) the Mazda6 wagon?
    Possibly. The CX-7 is a crossover, and will sell alongside the wagon for now.

No word as to whether or not the 2nd-gen 6 will have a wagon or not...
    Woke up to -20 wind chill and some snow in the air but off we went.....

No '06 Mazda6 Wagons on the lot, so we drove 1 of 2 leftover 05's, black on black, sunroof, BOSE and a few other upgrades we really didn't want. Sunroof eats a lot of headroom, power seat doesn't go low enough. My head touched the sunshade way too much, had to have the sunshade open to drive.

Sticker around $24k with an upfront "There are $4000 in rebates on this car" from the EXCELLENT salesman (Gary @ Grappone Mazda, Concord NH) We gave the one inside the showroom the hard look then drove the 5 speed. The car is great, handles great, really good power...but... there wasn't a ton more room then in our P5...not in practical terms anyway. Jack's (my son) feet were still touching my front seat and my wife and I were elbow to elbow.

Sure there's "more room," but not enough to make us buy teh car over our current ride.

Gary wasn't pushy, understood my thinking, showed me the Mazda5 (no wider) and the MPV (no wider) and was gracious in "defeat."

Overall, just underwhelmed... it just didn't meet our high expectations and we were genuinely disappointed. We really thought this was The One going into it. :cry:
  • costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    I have a 6 sport sedan and I am 6 feet and weigh in about 235 . I have plenty of room in the front seat of the sedan, never sat in the back !! The power seat raises and lowers , did you try that ??You must remember this is a "quasi sports sedan" and of course you can't expect the room you may of had in a SUV or Van!! Good luck!!
    Sporin,

How tall are you?

I'm 6'3", about 250, with a moonroof, and I have NO issues with head clearance. In fact, I've got at least 1" between my head and the headliner, and I can wear a baseball cap without any issue.
  • tim15tim15 Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a brand new left over 2005 wagon with the six speed automatic transmission. It stickered for 24650.00, but after rebates and dealer discounts, was able to buy it for $17900.00, and they waived the $289.00 processing fee. Although I wish it had leather, I think this was a good value for the money, especially since it has the 50K warranty. I don't know much about the reliablity of these cars, but it sure rides and handles great. Has anyone had any trouble with their mazdas? Are they like Toyotas or Hondas, and run forever?
    I'm only 6' but long torsoed, and I'm .,..um.. wide.... but I fit great in my Protege5... the seat was down as far as it would go, maybe there was something blocking it??

That is a sick deal tim15... I don't know know. :( Maybe I'll have to head back down there again.
    If you do go back, try and recline the seat slightly. It'll give you more torso room, and if it doesn't cause a backache after a few hours, you're all set. The steering wheel also telescopes, which should help as well.

Getting a great deal on a wagon is not hard to do. I've heard a lot of wagons sold for $1000 BELOW invoice, not including rebates and incentives.
    I just emailed my wife all this and she's pretty insistant tehat she wasn't thrilled with the 6...regardless fo fit adn incredible price. I need to work on her I guess. :)

Maybe we'll just wait until the Fall and revist teh 6 Wagons when the 2006's start being discounted heavily (inevitable?)
    Bah, just tell her she's too sexy to be caught driving an SUV, or worse, a minivan! :)
    She wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan and is pretty anti-SUV so no danger there. :):)

I'm not done working on her yet though. :) We'll see if that car makes it through the President's Day sales and go from there.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I'm only 5'8", so headroom isn't an issue for me, but sometimes I wonder about the seating position some drivers use. For those who like to angle the seat back and keep their arms pretty much straight out in front of them, then I can see how a 6'3" guy can still wear their hat in the same car where a 5'10" guy is bumping their head because they like to sit straight up in more of a chair/SUV position.

So you have to look at how you really sit. I don't know how the car magazines or other professionals really measure headroom, since everyone sits differently. Also, overall height is based mostly on leg length, so even though I'm 5'8" and someone else is 6'3" standing, if we're both sitting in chairs, their isn't 7" difference in height between us in a sitting position.
    I've found another 05, without the Sunroof & Bose package and am trying to get ahold of the dealer to see if they still have it.

We'll see. . . .
  • njlemonnjlemon Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Wagon has recurring throttle body issues. When it feels like it suddenly loses power/bucks....engine light on....The Throttle body has been replaced 4 times since May 2005 when I purchased the car. Mazda can't fix it.

The cloth seats are horrible....mine frayed after 4500 miles.......It's to bad, the car handles great,the interior is laid out well and there aren't any other wagons that look like the 6....but if isn't reliable what's the point?

Mazda has not stood behind this vehicle....nor has the dealer I purchased it from...Ramsey Mazda in New Jersey.

My beatiful black Lemon.........
  • cary6cary6 Member Posts: 2
    Three weeks ago, I too purchased a brand new left over 2005 mazda 6 S wagon. This one came with the six speed automatic, heated leather seats, bose sound system,17 in. wheels and power moonroof. It stickered for $26,995, but after rebates and dealer discounts, I was able to buy it for $21,989. Before buying this one, I was contemplating buying a very nice 2004 used mazda 6 wagon with only 5,000 miles listed on ebay for $17,000 (the car was located in my local area and I test drove it). I decided to visit a mazda dealership to find out more about these wagons (I too am a former toyota and honda person---sold a 2002 solara sle to buy the mazda). I was not intending to buy from the dealer but they showed me this nice red metallic 2005 with black leather interior and convinced me after hour and half they could offer me a better deal on this new vehicle. The car is fun to drive---sports like not at all like a station wagon. I also love the manual shift without clutch feature. The bose system is "sweet" (according to my sons ages 12 and 10). The passenger and cargo areas are more than adequate to transport my boys and their baseball equipment. The only negatives for me so far are the not so great gas mileage (seems similar to my wife's 2002 honda minivan) and the rather wide 38.7 turning circle. Overall, however, I love the vehicle and am real pleased with the purchase. Like you, I hope it holds up well and proves as reliable as toyotas. Let me know what you hear from others on reliability.

Best,
    cary6
    :)
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have had my 2004 wagon for a year and a half now and still really love it! Tim15 you could get leather added afterward-- like you I found the car on the lot so I had the dealer add leather and heated seats (they did this after we had reached a price at no extra charge). I have dogs so I didn't want all that dog hair clinging to cloth seats! The leather is very nice and after hearing about cloth problems I'm glad I did that. So far it has been trouble-free. You're right about the gas mileage; that's my only gripe.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Talked to a local dealer near me and was interested in a Mazda5 (pending what wife thinks). Dealer has a '05 Mazda6 s (Artic Silver)w/ Spoiler, 6spd AT, Bose/Moonroof, Sport Grill for $26,200. Now come the fun part, for both the Mazda5 and 6 they will give me $9000 trade on my vehicle, but for the 6 wagon, they are going to know $4000 off sticker, then include the $3000 rebate from Mazda and if I finance through Mazda Financing I will get another $1000 off. This will mean the $26,200 will have $8000 in money knocked off vehicle then another $9000 because of Trade-in (with nothing owed on trade) which mean the vehicle would only cost $9200 before taxes and title. Now for the Sad part. My wife says we should wait to see what kind of rebates they will have this summer. Am I the only one who thinks this is a good enough deal? Oh by the way, there are only 25 miles on vehicle. I test drove and that was how many where on odo when I finished.

Odie
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Is the 6 really going to meet your needs, considering you were looking at the 5? Just make sure you aren't being blinded by the good deal and will later regret your decision.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    There will be no such car ('05) by summer time.
    Even if it were, they would not give it away for free.
    Sounds like a fantastic deal. You can actually re-sell it
    and make money :)
  • slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    d_hyper is probably right, because that '05 is last year's model. If you don't take it, they will likely keep offering similar deals to others until someone else takes it. With pricing like that, the dealer is obviously trying very hard to get rid of it, so I'd be surprised if it even stays on the lot until the end of the month, much less into the summer (unless your area is completely devoid of other potential Mazda6 wagon buyers).

However, gbrozen has a good point too, don't get the wagon just because it's a better deal. If it doesn't meet your expectations you may not be happy no matter how cheaply you obtained it.

Good luck.
    well, the '05 s wagon is still there as of this evening, but now my wife is saying we should wait till after we build our house. I understand where she is coming from... the house is more important than vehicle, but if anything happens to current vehicle (hit warrenty mileage limit over weekend) then it will be buh-buy regardless.

Odie
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    What are you trading in that they'll give you $9000?
    I'm trading my '01 Escape XLT 4WD.

And the '05 wagon is still on the lot as of this afternoon (4/14/06).

Odie
    Went past the dealer today to let them know that we are going to wait till end of july and more than likely going to be looking at the Mazda5. The surprise was the Mazda6 s sport wagon was still there and they have increased the price off from $4000 to $6000. that means the $26,200 vehicle is now $20,200 and then has the $3000 rebate + $1000 if financed through Mazda finacial. They also told me they will still give me the $9000 trade. Too bad my wife is adament that we wait till end of july (after 2nd child arrives). i will keep you posted if any new info comes my way on the '05.

Odie
    I just added photo's of the 6 s Wagon under my Carspace site photo albums
    Odie's Garage

Odie
This discussion has been closed.