Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Wagon

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
edited April 2014 in Mazda
According to articles I've read, Mazda's current plans include only the 2003 Mazda 6 sedan for North America. However, we could also see the wagon version over here if Mazda feels there's a market for it.

What do you think? ;-)

Revka
Host
Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

Comments

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Read more about the Mazda 6 in Edmund's Preview of the 2003 Mazda 6, by D. John Booth. Let us know what you think. Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's a beauty. I love it. Cute as the Protege5 with a more sleek look. Wagons are hot and they'd be smart to bring it here.

The only thing missing is an AWD option.

-juice
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Very nice! I would much prefer it to the sedan. It has utility, economy and looks. I hope they bring it over. Manual tranny please or no deal for me though!
    Same here, manual/V6 is a must.

-juice
  • winmanzwinmanz Member Posts: 6
    Since Nissan, Honda and Toyota do not have a wagon in their line-up, it would be a very smart move for Mazda to bring the Mazda 6 Station Wagon to the US.

The only other Japanese competition is Subaru.

The manual tranny must be available with all engine options if Mazda want to live up to the "Zoom Zoom" reputation.

winman
    True, there are smaller asian wagons, and a few european and american mid-sizers, but Subaru is pretty much by itself in that niche for now.

If reliability were the #1 concern, what wagon would you buy today? Subaru. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan force you into an SUV to get a wagon bodystyle.

-juice
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    If you don't want AWD, I don't think you can go wrong with the Saturn LW for reliability. It is cheaper, bigger, faster and gets better mileage than similarly equipped Subaru Legacy wagons.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    The Subaru has demonstrated its reliability over and over. The Saturn L (especially 1st year) has had many niggling problems and 1st year owners have not been that forgiving. Hopefully, this has changed going forward but as it stands the Subaru is more reliable than the Saturn L series.

Stephen
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    The 2001s are better (mine is fine) and it sounds like the 2002s shoulbe even better.
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Thats what it looks like to me....and thats a good thing.

The front end, wheels, and over all design are definately Mazda. The A-pillar back looks like the best parts of the VW Passat/A6. Mostly due to lines traced and emphasised by the roof rails. The slight swoop on the very back (that I can make out) looks very Subaru Legacy. Looks like they took the best of each and glued them together. There are some unique touches there too that give it some character like the 17" rims, antena, angled splits on the front spoiler, pronounced fender flairs, and lack of too much chrome.

It already looks like a winner. I'll call it a class destroyer if:
    1) It gets the Duratech V6 with a Mazda (not Ford) 5spd. Around 200hp is good. 240hp makes it better.
    2) They release an AWD variant. Only Subaru offers realistic options here.
    3) It starts at $22k for a stripper and $30k loaded with V6, AWD, and leather
    4) I can get one in Sand Mica (the same color as my Protege ES 2.0).
    I think the Saturn L series is in trouble, especially if Mazda brings over the wagon, because both are small mid-sizers with FWD. Same niche.

As for styling, I see Millenia headlights, a little MP5 sprinkled in, with a Passat rear and IS300 profile. But those are all attractive cars to no surprise the result is also quite attractive.

219hp with variable valve timing, based on the Duratec 3.0l. It'll be a winner. I fully agree with the AWD option. That's too much power for FWD to handle without severe torque steer.

-juice
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    The Mazda 6 wagon (and hatchback) look great.
    But Mazda has no immediate plans to bring them
    here.

I say, put that more powerful 4-cyl engine
    in the Protege5 ... for now, and test the
    market. If it goes well...they can bring the
    larger wagon, more suited to bigger families
    & SUV owners.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I especially like the 5 door hatch. Of course, that'll be the version least likely to be sold here, but I remember the 5 door 626s of the 80s and early 90s with fondness. It'd be nice to have the option again...currently, Saab pretty much has that (admittedly small, though the reasons are beyond me) market to themselves.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    It's an awesome looking car, inside and out. I'll definitely get myself one of these new Mazda6, either to replace my 2000 Millenia S or our 2002 Protege5 or maybe I'm gonna add this Mazda 6 to my own Mazda lineup. Plus my brother is driving a '94 RX7, so what's another Mazda in the family.

Mazda, please bring the Wagon, I promise I'll buy one.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    The Saturn LW300 is a nice vehicle, but the Mazda 6 addresses its shortcomings.

I've owned a Duratec 2.5 powered SVT Contour for 4 years now and it is one sweet engine. I also have an old Montero, so a sportswagon like this that is a nice combination of the two would be just the ticket. I also used to own a Merkur XR4ti, so I have a thing for hot hatches. If Mazda brings all the versions over, it will be tough to choose.

I can imagine that the 3.0 with variable valve timing will be really outstanding... one now has to buy a much more expensive Jag X-type to get such a motor - and it only has a dozen more hp than the 6.

My big gripe with the Saturn is that although the LW300 supposedly has sporting pretensions and IMO is quite handsome, there is no semblance of a sport package available whatsoever. I saw a Saturn sedan that an aftermarket tuner had tricked out... it looked awesome! So much untapped potential, kind of sad, really.

Now they're going to get their butt kicked in the powertrain dept. as well, but that could be addressed by simply not detuning the Catera motor. I agree with a previous poster that the 2000 model was not well done, but the 2002 should be a reliable car.

The Mazda 6 is just cool. I was hoping that Ford would bring over the Mondeo wagon (hopefully they could rebadge it as a Sable without screwing it up), but I don't think it's going to happen... in fact I think Ford is going to do an Oldsmobile to Mercury. But that's ok, as long as they bring the 6's over.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    On the CanadianDriver site there is a preview of the 6 that shows several pictures of the car. The yellow car at the beginning of the feature shows a body colored grille, while all of the others show a chrome & black grille.

I really like the body colored grille. Anyone know for sure if it will be available? If it's only on a sports package, that's ok because that's what I want anyway.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    Nothing like it here except the Passat wagon. It is a world-car meaning no excessive length like American cars and it looks a bit higher for more room. Great looking package - 3.0 litre and 5-speed of course. Are you listening Mazda/Ford? Americans are wising up and this type of car would give you a nice head start in this market and good exposure for your new platform. Just do it! Pleeez!
    Saab is leaving the 5 door market. The 9-3 replacement is a sedan, so Mazda would have the niche almost to itself.

Autoweek said the sedan and wagon would make it to the US.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Says that only the sedan will hit these shores. Sad, very sad.
    For now, but the plans could always change. Mazda needs to beat Honda/Toyota/Nissan to it, for once, instead of copying them years later.

-juice
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    "Bring it, meat !" I'd buy one today if it were available, I've got a '99 Protege that is nice, but not big enough. The P5 is too small also, so I'm going to get an 02 CRV or a Subie Outback next month. Maybe by the time my Protege is ready to retire the 6 wagon will be here, of course, by then we may see the MX Sport Tourer, that would be awesome....
  • prostfanprostfan Member Posts: 6
    I could see Honda bringing the Accord wagon back to the states when the new version comes out at the end of next year. It would make for an interesting market if Honda/Mazda/Toyota all brought wagons. I think if the P5 sales are strong and the Toyota Matrix does well we should be seeing more options. Me? I am going to wait for the new A4 or even better yet an S3 from Audi.
    Hey, I was a Senna fan so we were rivals for years. ;-)

I do think Honda will bring back the Accord wagon. People spoiled by the space in SUVs may not want to downsize all the way down to a sedan.

-juice
  • ickesickes Member Posts: 82
    Mag X, a Japanese buff-mag, has a sketch of the next Accord Wagon. Here is a link:

www.mag-x.com/scoop/accordwagon0110/index.html

They and Temple of VTEC (www.vtec.net)report no plans currently on bringing the Wagon here. I suppose they figure anyone who wants a vehicle to haul things will look at the CR-V, Odyssey or upcoming Passport replacement based upon the Acura MDX.

My interest would be in the Accord wagon, as I prefer a car's dynamics over an SUV or van. TOV reported dealers previewed the Passport and said its 8-inches longer than the MDX. Way too big.
    An Accord wagon could be much sportier than a CR-V, though, for people like us, who care.

-juice
  • northroadnorthroad Member Posts: 3
    Please Mazda make the Wagon with the V6, AWD and 5 or even a 6 speed transmission.

Other options would include, 8 way power adjustable heated seat or seats, ABS, big brakes,10-11 speaker stereo upgrade with digital radio, rear power outlet, 17 inch alloy wheel option, and trip computer.

The picture of the Wagon at this site looks great. How about some pictures of the rear, and interior area of the wagon?

I have a Contour SE, it is a good car, but I am ready for something new. The 2.5 V6 is a great engine. The 3.0 V6 with SVT would be fabulous.

I recently test drove the Altima 3.5 SE and the torque steer is scary. I can just image what the problem will be like on icy or snowy roads. There obviously is too much power for just FWD.

Please, please make the Wagon I would buy one!!
    My wish list: wagon, AWD, ABS, traction and stability control, moonroof, cloth, 5 or 6 speed manual with the V6, plus all the basics.

The wife would prefer a hatch, though.

-juice
  • jlkerberjlkerber Member Posts: 6
    I really do like the looks of the 6 in both wagon and 5 door configs. I would have bought the MPV but the 2.5 contour motor (a great sedan motor even better in the SVT) was not a great choice for the MPV the tranny was all over trying to find the right gear. I always liked Mazda since I had an 85 626 (2.0 4 cyl.) that I drove to 165K. If Mazda designs cars that look good, have good driving dynamics as they have and take the best of what's available in Fords corperate parts bin they should have a real winner. For now I am stuck in a Toyo minivan, but if the 5 door or wagon makes it here I would be willing to put my money down!
    The MPV is finally getting the 3.0l V6 engine and 200 horses. I'm sure that'll be much better, but too late for you.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    juice - just to complicate things for you (and me too):

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/08/autos-385516.htm

Mazda 6 wagon and 3 litre six. What a conundrum - Mazda 6, Honda Pilot, Accord Wagon, CRV, Outback (only if they improve that useless sunroof). What to do?? Then what if GM wakes up and imports the Holden Commodore SS from Australia??

I tell you, that 5 door hatch is gorgeous. It might just be the perfect compromise for us, since the wife doesn't want to drive a wagon or a minivan (I do, but it's her car).

FWIW, the base Outbacks don't have a moonroof, and I do know that aftermarket ones are available, though I'm not sure if you can get a single one.

-juice
  • mddobbsmddobbs Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone seen a picture of the Wagon's Tail end? I have been looking and I haven't found it. Personally, there are many good vehicles that I would not buy simply because of rear end styling. Love both ends of the Mazda 6 sedan/coupe. Hate IS300/RX300 tail end. Protege tails lights could be improved. Vibe tail is a little nicer than the Matrix. BMW 3-series wagons are classy all around. My opinion is that not every part of the styling has to be new to be great. Hopefully the M6 wagon's rear end won't be wild, because I love every other part of the design so far!
  • lanshahanlanshahan Member Posts: 4
    Please Mazda bring us the wagon. IMHO it would fill a space in the market that no one has. A wagon sized around the BMW 3 series and Passat with a responsive engine and proper suspension tuning priced in the mid 20's. The Passat's are nice but they are tuned a little more for comfort, the BMW is drivers car but is priced in the mid 30's and up. I looked at the IS300 Lexus but it is too small, looks too much like the Protege5 and just doesn't have the quality of plastics that it should for $30k. I look forward to this car if Mazda can deliver the driving enjoyment that they seem to be getting back into. I really like my Protege ES, it has fine steering, very well chosen suspension tuning, the fit and finish is competitive with Honda, and it's a blast to drive. With the lease coming to an end on my Volvo V70 AWD (the WORST car I have ever owned), a third child on the way, and dislike of SUV's and Minivan's I really want a decent sized wagon that is a drivers car and priced in the 20's.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    mddobbs: you might be surprised to find out how many car fans are unhappy with rear end designs on all sorts of cars from all the manufacturers. We seem to be in a design period where it is easy to get a dramatic front end and handsome profile, but making the butt of a car look good these days is hard. Just one example: people love the new (upcoming) Infiniti G35, but quite a few people dislike the back end. The Mazda rear doesn't strike me as especially bad, but a lot of folks would agree it isn't the car's "best side."
    P5 for $30k? I've seen them in the local papers for around $16k. It is too small for a family with 3 kids, though.

IMO even the Mazda 6 wagon may be small.

-juice
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I have seen a picture of the rear of a Mazda 6 Wagon. Sadly, I can't recollect the site where I saw it. I even went surfing one day to track it down without success.

The rear end is quite attractive. The tailights are clear like the other models, but they are horizontal rather than vertical like on the P5.

I love the front view of the wagon but haven't seen a true profile (only the elevated 3/4 view and I'm undecided on how the wagon really looks.

I'm going to the Detroit show on Monday, but I think only the sedan and hatch will be there.

My other problem is a lease that expires in November of 2002 so my chances of getting any Mazda 6, let alone the wagon are pretty slim. Right now if that possibility isn't available it looks like a battle between the Infiniti G35 and an overseas delivery on a Volvo S60.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    cayennered 1: I should have qualified the post about rear ends being hard to style well. Oddly enough, it seems easier with a wagon than a sedan, or that's my impression. If your general styling idiom is ovoid and aerodynamic, front ends are easy and rear ends troublesome. If you terminate the car with a wagon gate, it often works well. Some Audi fans think the A4 Avant (wagon) is nicer looking than the A4.

Enjoy the show!
    Lots of wagons look better than their sedan counterparts, including the A4, the Protoge, and the WRX.

-juice
  • mddobbsmddobbs Member Posts: 3
    Found picture of the wagon tail end in the "Galeria" at this site. Some interior pictures too.

http://www.elmundomotor.com/elmundomotor/2001/10/16/coches/1003262288.html#

I like the exterior look. Seats look to have little padding and cheaper fabric (like Subaru), but perhaps upholstery options could improve this. Underwhelming interior is confirmed by posters on the Sedans board who saw the Vehicle live in Detroit.

The central cluster with radio/climate, IMHO would look better with a classic black, rather than "faddy" silver (painted plastic?). Speedometer/Tachometer/Steering wheel look as nice as the Protege P5's that I sat in, and liked.

I'm probably in the minority, but I hope it doesn't come through with the boy racer clear tail lights. IMHO, way too trendy.

Maybe I'm just getting too old.
    The Matrix didn't. Maybe the 6 won't either. Concepts get them to draw attention.

-juice
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    How many times does the term "boy racer" appear in Town Hall?
    ...I don't know. How many times does the term boy racer appear in Town Hall?

Personally, I can't recall ever seeing it here and really don't recall where I picked it up.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    For what it's worth I saw two 6 sedans at the Detroit show and one had clear lenses while the other did not. THe sportier version (17 in. wheels, spoiler) has the clear while what appeared to be a base model did not.

The interior was somewhat underwhelming but that could be said about 90% of the cars on the road these days. I'm a big advocate of color and wish we could see some real matching of interior and exterior colors or at least two or three bright color option (red, teal, green?)

Also someone on the sedan board who claims to be in Mazda sales says the sedan will be out in September with the wagon and or hatch coming 8-10 months later.

Unfortunately that will be too late for me so it would have to be the sedan or nothing. I'll wait and see how the interior, colors and upscale models look.
    Did notice a cutaway 6 sedan at the show in a dark silver that looked pretty good (on the non-cutaway side of course).
  • northroadnorthroad Member Posts: 3
    It sure would be nice to see the 6 Speed transmission from the Ford Focus SVT attached to the 3.0 Liter V6 in the Mazda 6. How about a 5 or 6 Speed manual option.

Mazda make the 6Wagon an A4 Avant rival with the 6 speed transmission and possibly AWD for the top model options.

I can hardly wait. I hope I can hold on until next year.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I am all for 6 speed manuals. But I really don't like it when 6th gear is the same as the old 5th gear. I want a 6 speed that offers relaxed cruising - keep the first 5 gears and add a deep overdrive. I could care less if the closer ratios take a few tenths off of the 0-60 time. I don't use my vehicle for racing, and despite the bravado most other people don't either.

Off of soap box!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I didn't think 6 forward gears would be that great either, but it sure is joy to have more ratios for different types of corners.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    and they said they still haven't decided on the 6 wagon coming to the USA. He said that there was a good chance considering the success of the Protege5 but the future of the 6 wagon in the U.S. is not certain. Call them at 1-800-222-5500.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Please, Mazda USA, bring the 6 Wagon to America..!! I am in the market right now for a vehicle exactly like the new 6 wagon. I owned an 88 MX6 and had it for 10 years. It was the best car I've ever owned and am trying to get back into a Mazda product now. We may buy an MPV but if the 6 wagon were at the dealer now, I'd be placing an order for it..
This discussion has been closed.