Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Wagon

Comments

• autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    How is it possible that the wagon has only approx 1.5 cubic feet more cargo capacity (w/ rear seats folded down) than the hatch? Based on those numbers, the wagon's max capacity is also 0.6 cubic feet SMALLER than an Audi A4 wagon. Is that possible? These numbers just don't add up to me. I guess I'll have to see it in person to really judge this. The A4 really is a small/compact wagon and I am sure the 6 wagon must be noticably larger.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Did you mean the statement: "The MAZDA6 5-Door is the only midsize 5-Door hatchback offered for sale in the U.S."?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    That too.
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    "The MAZDA6 5-Door is the only midsize 5-Door hatchback offered for sale in the U.S."
    name one other midsize 5-Door hatchback thay is available in the US?

http://www.edmunds.com/new/type/coupehatchback/midsize/index.html- ?tid=edmunds.n.typeindex.content.num2.1.*
    Technically they may be correct. The ZX5 and Elantra wouldn't count because they are EPA compact class, and the Saab 9-2X and Suzuki Reno aren't for sale yet. I think the Prius is compact class too. To me the Malibu Maxx looks more like a hatchback though they call it a "wagon". Is it even shipping yet? And if it is, who cares? Oh, I see that Kelley Blue Book (kbb) calls the Malibu Maxx a hatchback 5-door, how funny.

Technically, the Mazda3 5-door is a EPA compact, though it measures 95 cubic feet (the Mazda6 sedan is 96).
    Interesting that Mazda has chosen to call the Mazda3 and Mazda6 "5-door" instead of hatchback. Some people even like to call the Mazda3 5-door a "wagon". Fortunately we won't have to worry about that with the Mazda6 5-door as there really is a Mazda6 wagon.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    So... any pricing released for the US Mazda6 Wagon?
    Why aren't the side-impact airbags (SAB) a stand-alone option?

Thanks for the info so far...
    Technically nor in any other fashion. They goofed (or are intentionally trying to mislead the buying public--I'll give them the benefit of the doubt). Both the Prius and Malibu Maxx are midsized 5-door hatchbacks. Both have been for sale for some time.

Also if you read the quote from Mazda's press release, you will see that they do call the Mazda6 5-door a "hatchback".

Now a question: how much do the wagon and 5-door hatchback weigh?
    SAB/SAC is an option on the Mazda6 wagon (like on the sedan and 5-door) but you have to also get the Bose and Moonroof options to get it.

Dealers have pricing, but it is probably still preliminary at this time.
    5 door weigh is about m/t 3166 lbs- a/t 3221 lbs that the 4cyl model, the v6 would be a little under 200 lbs more than the 4cyl model
    You are correct, I checked the EPA web site and the Prius IS a midsize (96 cubic feet)!

Curb weights for the Mazda6 5-door:
    Mazda6 i MT : 3166
    Mazda6 i AT : 3221
    Mazda6 s AT : 3336
    Mazda6 s MT : 3417

These are approximately 100lbs more than for the sedan, depending on which model and trans you are looking at.

I don't know the weights for the wagon.
    So with 95 cubic feet the Mazda3 5-door only missed being a midsize by 1 cubic foot?
    Thanks much! What I really wanted to know is the weight differential between the 5-door and the wagon. There have been statements to the effect that the reason Mazda doesn't offer the 4-banger in the wagon is because of weight. I was just wondering how much heavier the wagon is. I'd really like a 4-cylinder wagon because I don't need the speed (nor does my teenage son), just the room, handling, and looks of the Mazda6 wagon. But it looks like a moot point, the wagon won't be offered with the 4-cylinder. But maybe the 5-door would be roomy enough. I hope Mazda has these cars at the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show next month.
    Prius IS is smaller than the mazda3 how is it a midsize car?
    It's based on interior room, not the size of the car. Prius is smaller than my Elantra too, but the Elantra is a compact.
    oh! thanks
    Mazda3 sedan is 94 cubic feet, EPA compact class
    Mazda3 5door is 95 cubic feet, EPA compact class

Prius is 96 cubic feet, EPA midsize class
    Mazda6 sedan is 96 cubic feet, EPA midsize class

The Mazda6 5-door is probably a little more than the sedan, but it's still EPA midsize class.
    Curb weights for the Mazda6 5-door:
    Mazda6 i MT : 3166
    Mazda6 i AT : 3221
    Mazda6 s MT : 3336
    Mazda6 s AT : 3417

I flipped the AT/MT on the last two. Doh!

I'll take a WAG that the wagon might be a little heavier than the 5-door, but by less than 100lbs.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Different mfrs rate cargo capacity differently. Mazda had quoted loaded up to the cargo cover for the P5 when it first came out in NA and competitors trounced all over it by rating their vehicle's capacity as loaded up to the headliner (so you can't see through the rear windows). Mazda rated the P5's cargo space in the same fashion after having their head beaten about for a couple years for stating it the honest way.

The same may have happened for the Mazda6. I think its figures may be taken from the Japanese and European ratings. I think they have more stringent "truth in advertising" laws than we do here, so cargo capacities are more modest overseas.

I think rating cargo capacity as "loaded to the gills" is dishonest as it promotes very unsafe practices, but that's how many vehicles are rated here in NA. Check out the cargo spaces in the vehicles you're interested in yourself. Take luggage or a tape measure. I have found just going by numbers on paper is a poor method of comparing cargo capacity amongst vehicles, especially if they're only within a couple of cubic feet of each other (plus the shape of it may work better or worse for you). You also know something's fishy when one vehicle's cargo capacity figure is a LOT bigger than a comparable competitive vehicle's (that may be slightly smaller or slightly larger).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    one of the car magazines (I think C&D) does a test where the figure out the biggest box that will fit in the car with the hatch closed. I believe it is an adjustable tube frame that they expand until it just fits in the opening (for height and width), then for length .

Just another usable measure. I agree that up to the roof isn't very useful, since my goal is to not go above the seat back (easier to do in a van than a wagon).

anyway, having seen it in person, the cargo area seems plenty roomy, with a nice usable shape (that is, reasonably squared off).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I know Consumer Reports measures cargo volume using an adjustable box.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I'm in South Florida for a week so I can't help until then....if you remind me next week I will get the manual tranny build specs....and anything else y'all need.

Rich
    Bring back the warm weather with you.

They use it for vans, SUVs and larger vehicles. They also put in 4x8 pieces of plywood to see how well they'll fit (with rear seats removed or folded, whichever is the intended usage).

For sedans, hatches and wagons, they usually go by the number of pieces of luggage they can fit into the space (they cram as many large pullmans will fit, then use large duffels) and they also check to see how easy it is to put in and remove a folding wheelchair. Sometimes they use the frame for wagons.
    that's right. C&D uses my personal favorite, # of beer cases. Much more valuable to know than how many wheeel chairs I can carry!

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    CU uses the adjustable box for station wagons as well as SUV's and Mini vans. Nice to compare them directly.
    To be specific. :)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I recall their measuring system. But do they use can, bar bottle, or pony cases?? Inquiring minds want to know!!
    bar bottle cases. And no, I'm not sure which brand.

• yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    Sorry if this question has been answered already, but does anyone know where the wagon will be produced, Japan or USA????? Thanx
    AAI plant at Flat Rock, MI.
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    i'm surprised there's still anyone alive in this forum. you guys must be masochists--by the time mazda finally coughs up the wagon, it'll be time for Y3K celebrations. just get a legacy turbo with the mackintosh stereo option and be done with it.
    My local dealers are taking orders now for spring delivery.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    is about as outdated as the Beatles.
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Waiting to replace our aging '95 Camry...w/a 6s Wagon that rocks!! Sepang green, AT, Bose, Lux, MR, SAB; probably by May when most dealers will have them in.
    Cheers...

Mazda better put out a winner to compete with the upcoming VW Passat ('05)!! Even the new Volvo V50 2.4i ('05) may compete with the 6s Wagon (loaded); We'll see. Mazda needs to stay focused and respond to its customers and the market demand to do well.

Just my 2 cents...
    Martin
    dem fighting words!!!
    will not compare on their higher prices. 6 Wagon will be the best sport wagon value out there.
    the legacy ('05) should be a serious contender also. Saw the new sedan last week at the Philly car show (no touching aloud), and it looked pretty sharp. If the wagon looks as good, it could eat into sales of the 6.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We ALWAYS have a good time dicussing YOUR favorite vehicles...

Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

This coming week's chat on Feb 10 is also going to include a set of trivia questions about the 2004 Mazda models, gleaned from the pages of Edmunds.com! So study up and join us on Tuesday evening!!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    but for some reason my interest in the entire mazda 6 lineup has just waned. last year i was certain that the upcoming 6 wagon would be on my shopping list, but now it already seems old.

i think the new legacy turbo wagon has much better styling, its line are more sophisticated front to back, and its interior is verry nice indeed, especially with the factory mackintosh stereo option with the retro 70s stereotuner dials.

with the chrome shifter bezel and softer leather seats, the new legacy simply looks richer for the money than the 6, and it's way way faster with awd --about 3 seconds faster from 0-60.

if i were to go with mazda, i would just opt for the 3, and spend the extra money on nicer wheels and stereo and leather, but hey, i'm just a girl...
    Subaru finally discoverd styling with the Legacy.
    I'm still not a fan of the hood scoop on any of the Turbo models. Gotta see the rear cargo space. The old Outback/Legacy never seemed very large to me. Maybe the 4WD/ shock towers took up space? I don't have a need for AWD and Mazda's trailing link suspension helps in the cargo space department.
    February 09, 2004 - Mazda will head into the 74th Geneva International Motor Show with the world debut of its newest concept vehicle, the MX-Flexa. The six-seat concept demonstrates one possible direction Mazda could take in creating a future space wagon.

Featuring the emotional design and innovative packaging consumers now expect from Mazda, the MX-Flexa concept showcases key elements that could further improve Mazda's position in the growing space wagon segment.

With this project, the design team put particular focus on adding new levels of emotional appeal.

The MX-Flexa concept showcases the emotional design and innovative packaging that customers have now come to expect from Mazda.

It features an appealing exterior design, high levels of interior functionality and comfort, and superior dynamic performance, in a concept vehicle that could further improve Mazda's position in the growing space wagon segment in Europe.

Details of the car will be announced during the Mazda press conference scheduled to commence at 11:30 a.m., Tuesday, March 2, 2004 at Geneva, Switzerland.
    Now we have space wagon! I love these marketing guys. it's an "emotional" design so I guess we'll love it or hate it!
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Mazda's working on the Moon/Mars shoot with Bush.
    So 2015 for the rest of the world, 2020 for the US market. Hehe.
    no way the Legacy will be 3 secs. quicker than a 6s (since all the wagons will be V6). Even if the 6 only pulls a 7.9 (I believe the sedan is quicker than this), that puts the Legacy in the high 4's.

• autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    I have to agree. My enthusiasm is also waning for the wagon. I have waited patiently for what seems like an eternity and was constantly monitoring these boards for several months. However, lately I find I'm checking the boards only occasionally and I no longer get that rush of excitement I used to have over the hatch & wagon. Maybe finally seeing it in person will help, provided I can hold out that long. However, I do find myself now considering the new Legacy or even a 3 hatch.
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    i totally agree with your statement, i was so excited about this wagon also(2 and a half years ago) but now there are so many offering's from other's just around the corner!!!!! Subaru legacy gt, volvo v50, and even mitsubishi lancer sportback to a certain extent.

Mazda would have had this market all to themselves, but now they have really put themselves into a pickle!!!! And it's not like this car is even really new, the rest of the world as had it around for almost 2years.

It's still a nice wagon, i just think i will put my money elsewhere.....
    i'm just going by what the british car magazine 4-car (i've forgotten if this is exactly where i read the road review) said about the awd wagon version of the 6. remember, the awd transmission adds a LOT of extra weight to the 6 sedan, then you have to factor in all the extra metal and glass for the wagon including the underlying frame strengthening, and then realize that the engine output in this awd wagon version is exactly the same as in the regular 6 sedan which is not a fast car in its own right, with only adequate torque and horsepower ratings in comparison to the accord 245/215?and nearly 250/250 altima. do the math and you'll see it's one slow wagon. as i recall, 0-60 in about 10 seconds. NOW take a look at how impressively fast the subaru legacy awd turbo wagon is, and you'll be impressed i'm sure.
  • jlasorsajlasorsa Member Posts: 22
    The U.S. version of the 6 wagon isn't going to have awd so it won't have all that extra weight. I'm not sure of the exact weight difference between sedan and wagon, but I'm guessing that its not enough to make it drive like the 4 cylinder sedan. Before I decided to wait for the 6 wagon I was looking at the WRX's and there's only a 150lbs difference between WRX's 4 door and wagon. Hardly enough to effect how it drives. I don't think the Legacy wagon would be much faster unless you go with the turbo than your talking about alot more money so then its not a fair comparision. Everyone on this forum wants to compare a 25K car to a 30K car and that doesn't make sense. I thought get a base WRX sportwagon for 25 to 26K or wait and get a fully loaded 6-wagon for the same price. Sure it might not be as fast as a WRX but I think it looks alot better I would rather have all those extra's instead of 1-2 sec faster time 0-60.
  • jlasorsajlasorsa Member Posts: 22
    Talk to my dealer today. He now shows a delivery date of 1st week of April for my wagon.
This discussion has been closed.