Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

60s-70s big Chevrolets vs. big Fords

Comments

• jerrym3jerrym3 Member Posts: 202
    They wanted a two seat 57 and bought a two door 58 instead.

Another brain cell shot!

Getting to the point where I should seriously consider selling the TBird or the 64 Galaxie convt. Just not getting the enjoyment out of them like I used to.

I'd probably sell the convt and do some restoration work on the TBird, a much more solid car. (Convert's too far gone with underneath northeast coast rust and over 200,000 miles.)

Tough decision.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    Too bad about your '64 Galaxie 'vert. I always thought those were sharp looking cars. We had a '64 when I was a little kid, but it was just a 4-door sedan, and I think it had a 352 in it. My Granddad picked it up for something like $75.00 and gave it to us, because at the time my Dad had a ragged-out '64 GTO with a stick shift, but he'd drive off in Mom's car, a '68 Impala, and leaver her stuck at home, alone, with the GTO, and Mom can't drive a stick! Guess that's one way to keep them wimmen folk at home ;-)
    Actually, even with the high mileage, the Galaxie is the car we take to the Wildwood NJ carshow every September. (160 miles one way)

Show is held right on the boardwalk. It became a hotrod show as opposed to a classic car show, but there's still hundreds of cars, many of which are classics. Police set the town streets up for a Saturday night cruise, but, the show has gotten too big.

Cars range from classics to customs to hotrods to new specialties (saw a Mustang Bullitt last September in the show).

If you want to ensure that your car will get on the boardwalk (which opens at 8AM), you need to be in line before 6AM.

If you're lucky, you can still catch a warm, late summer/September day, park the car on the boardwalk, and spend most of the day in the warm ocean.

Unfortunately, the burnouts late at night have possibly placed the show in jeopardy. It's not uncommon to see 100 people out at 2-3AM throwing water on the street and coaxing the hotrodders to "light 'em up!". (Of course, there's a police cruiser on the next block, just waiting.)
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...remember the scene from "American Graffiti where Richard Dreyfus' character chains the rear axle of the 1961 Ford Galaxie police cruiser to a steel post?
  • carnut4carnut4 Member Posts: 574
    that was one of my favorite movies. Reminded me of my own crusin' days in San Jose, CA in the 60's.
    My 64 Galaxie 352 keeps blowing exhaust manifold gaskets due to head deterioration.

I used to be able to get full metal gaskets that would hold/seal better and last longer. Can't find them any more.

Any suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Maybe you need to pull the heads and have them fixed, either milled on the ports or welded and then milled if they are badly galled. Also, your exhaust manifolds should be trued up, they could be warped. Once there is just a little gap in the gasket, it'll burn through like a welding torch.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    Head deterioration? My guess is that the problem is in the exhaust manifold(s). Maybe it isn't flush against the head because the manifold has warped. Milling would cure that. Or maybe the manifold isn't torqued to the head correctly because a bolt or a thread in the head is stripped. Heads can be damaged but I've never heard of one wearing out around the exhaust port. I've never seen an exhaust manifold wear out but they do crack.
  • kiilewkiilew Member Posts: 17
    Discovering (and reading) this 60's and 70's Chevy vs Ford forum brings back many great memories...although my experience relates primarily to '69 thru '78 Fords and Mercurys.

In 1969 my grandmother bought a brand new cream colored '69 LTD 4dr hardtop. As my family lived with her, my parents and I (at the age of three) enjoyed her car as if it was our own. The car was a Brougham model with a beautiful dark green cloth interior. Options included interval wipers, AM radio, tilt wheel, and a 6 way power seat. Interestingly, it did not have power windows or locks, or cruise control, or even a vinyl top. It did, however, have the 429 2v V8 engine. I will never forget the sound of that car! Even though it exhaled thru a single exhaust it had one of the sweetest sounding idle notes I have ever heard. To this day, my parents never let me forget the fact that I once made a tape recording of the exhaust!

Before long, the '69 shared the garage with my parent's new '70 Galaxie 500 with a 390 V8. That car shared the LTD's exterior color, but was a four dour sedan. The Galaxie, with it's full framed doors and windows, proved to be a much better sealed car than the hardtop LTD; important in our dusty rural farm country.

In '73, my dad's brother, who lived a mile away, bought a new '73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2dr hardtop, complete with a 460 V8. Jealous of such a fancy car, my envy eased a little when we traded in the Galaxie on a '75 LTD Landau 4 dr pillared hardtop. It was equipped with just about every option, including the very plush Landau Luxury Group option. The only thing missing was a 460; the engine powering this car was actually a 400 2v.

In '78 my uncle ordered a new Grand Marquis 2dr hardtop with a 460; his youngest son, just out of high school, then inherited the '73. One of the first things "we" did was take my cousin's "inheritance" to Midas Muffler to get a 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with turbo mufflers installed. It was an awesome hour long ride home from the muffler shop -- the sound alone was worth the $200 dollar cost, or so we juvenile delinquents thought at the time!

Meanwhile, my uncle's Mercury fever had spread to his oldest son, as well, who shuttled his family around in two 460 powered Grand Marquis 4dr sedans; first a '75 and then a '78.

In 1983, I inherited the '75 LTD as I headed out for college. Two years later I spent part of my summer vacation swapping out the 400 for a used 460. That was the most ambitious mechanical project I had ever attempted, and many lessons were learned the hard way. Perhaps the most memorable was when I cranked over my completed engine for the first time only to discover that I had installed the wrong bolts to secure the flexplate. The bolts were too long, extending beyond the crankshaft flange and compressed against the engine block! After dealing with that headache, I was dealt my next blow in the form of a collapsed piston. Thankfully, the local Ford dealer's service manager, who was a personal friend, then rebuilt the engine himself. At that time, he installed an edelbrock performer cam and a dual exhaust system. The result was a car I enjoyed for many years; a brick on wheels that occasionally embarrased a few "high performance" cars during stoplight drags.

All of those cars are long gone now, replaced by a steady diet of GMC Jimmys and Chevy Blazers and Tahoes over the last decade plus. Oh well; sorry to all you other posters for enduring my long-winded tale, but thanks for the memories!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    I remember back in the 60s and 70s my dad bought a new car every 2 or 3 years. After being a Ford man in the early 60s he shifted to GMs mid-decade. But we always considered both makes before he bought. I remember I was infatuated with the '69 Ford when it came out because of the dash design, with everything clustered in front of the driver and the passenger side being recessed. But my mom hated it (guess she wanted something to do while in the passenger seat) and he bought a '69 Impala.

Then in '71 he was in the market again, and again I liked the Ford. But I remember being in the showroom looking at a 4-door with them and they didn't like the way the back doors didn't cut all the way back to be paralleled with the rear seatback; there was some part of the C-pillar that made the door opening a bit smaller. But with the GM strike that year he ended up buying a new '71 Monaco (I *loved* that car!).

By the mid-70s he wanted a smaller car so the fullsizers were out of consideration. But I remember those '75 to '78 Fords as being massive beasts. You could get a Custom 500 hardtop for not much money the last few years; I guess they may have been suffering saleswise and priced them pretty competitively. I always thought they were a great buy.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    "But I remember those '75 to '78 Fords as being massive beasts."

Congratulations! You win the "Understatement of the Century" award!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    73 Marquis Brougham? Cool!

Bill
    73 Marquis Brougham Wimbledon White/Medium Blue.
    429-4v/Rim-Blow, Cruise, Buckets, 8-track, windows, locks, seats, climate control. =D
  • kiilewkiilew Member Posts: 17
    Yep, Bill...

Judging from the list of equipment on your car, (and assuming yours is a 2dr hardtop) your Merc is very similar to my uncle's 73 Marquis Brougham, right down to the auto temp control. The only differences seem to be color scheme, radio, and engine. My uncle's car was chocolate brown with a white vinyl top and brown cloth interior, had an am/fm stereo (without the tape), and the 460 engine (same as the 429 but with a longer stroke). The car also had wheel keys color keyed to match the exterior paint.

In late 1977, when my uncle picked up his new '78 Grand Marquis (which he had ordered in the same color scheme and with the same equipment + leather seats) he traded in the '73, which then occupied the dealer's used car lot for a brief while. The following 1977 Christmas morning, the '73 reappeared in my uncle's driveway, literally wrapped up in a big red bow! He had bought the car back from the dealer to give to his 18 year old son for Christmas. For my cousin, it was like welcoming a long lost relative back home!

It was a very cool car indeed! The only time the coolness diminished was when the rim blow steering wheel wore to the point that the slightest hand pressure caused the horn to sound (i.e. every time a turn was encountered)!
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    When I was a kid (OK, we'll call it 1973, either way, a long time ago), my neighbors had (the equivalent of a Marquis, I guess), a '70 (I think) Mercury Colony Park wagon (brown w/wood trim and high-back seats). Quite a plush wagon, IIRC. I think they replaced it with a '74 or '75 of the same variety, both were 9-passenger (I rode in the back).
    I'm the owner of two classic driver cars, not showcars: 58 Tbird and 64 Galaxie 500XL convert. Both cars have tired 352s, 250 hp for the 64; 300 for the 58.

I have the opportunity (for free) to get a 68-69 390/335 HP from my wife's uncle. (He's about to trash a once beautiful Cougar XR7GT, red/white vinyl top with manual sunroof.) Motor has low mileage, but the car has been sitting outdoors for many, many years, and the motor may need rebiulding.

The Cougar's trans is 4-speed. As much as I'd love to put the entire drivetrain in the convertible, finding all the brake/clutch pedal parts and a chrome console top for the manual would be a bear. (I could do away with the console and just keep the buckets, but that would detract greatly from the interior. Can't do away with the console on the Tbird as it houses the heater/defroster controls and the radio speaker.)

Would the Cougar drivetrain, excluding drive shaft, fit the convert? How much trouble to put the 390/335 in either car and keeping the automatic? Would the autotrans in either car be able to hold the power, although I'm only into occasional full throttle driving. (Dumb luck, I've been running a perfect rear end (3.50)in the convert for years, having swapped out the 3.00 a long time ago.)

Again, as pure driver cars, I'm not worried in the least about matching numbers. (This is the second 352/250 motor in the convert anyway. I still have a 64 Ford factory A/C system sitting in my garage from a car that I bought years ago to get the motor.)

Hindsight, I should have talked my wife's uncle into selling me the Cougar XR7 when it was still fresh.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I'm not a real expert on Fords but I can sort of point you in the right direction. As you probably know, the 352 and 390 are basically the same engine so the 390 should fit using the same motor mounts. Big Fords from '57-up use the 9" rear end also used in big block Cougars so what's in your cars now should be able to handle the 390's torque if it's in good shape. The Ford-o in your T-Bird apparently lasted into the '70s using different names including FMX but it's a medium-duty transmission, not as strong as the C-6 used behind the 390. My guess is that the Ford-o will bolt to the 390.

It the 390 is just a rebuildable core I'm not sure it's worth it, especially if the transmissions in your cars have high miles. Engines and transmissions tend to wear at roughly the same rate and bolting a fresh 390 to a tired transmission will just about guarentee that you'll be rebuilding the transmission shortly.
    Thanks for the input.

Tough choice.

The 58 TBird hardtop is the cleaner car, more suitable for cosmetic restoration, but not to the extent that it would ever become a showcar. The trans is original (60,000 miles), and, except for leaking, shifts perfectly.

The 64 Galaxie trans was rebiult (I'm guessing) about 30,000 miles ago.

Though the Galaxie convt is higher than the 58 TBird on the "fun to drive" list, it's got over 205,000 miles on the body.

I also found a dealer on the Galaxie car club website that has all the pieces necessary for a complete 1964 Galaxie conversion to 4 speed, including trans and hard to find 64 XL console plate for a 4 speed. Price- $1,250.

So, I'm guessing, but assuming an engine rebuild from a friend who has an engine shop ($1,200) and an installation price of $700(?), Im looking at roughly $3,150 to convert the Galaxie to a 4 speed or $1,900 to keep either car as an automatic with a 390/335 motor.

If the 64 had less miles or a stronger chassis, I'd go for the full conversion. But, since it doesn't, I'm still considering just the engine rebuild/swap.

If the 58 TBird was a convt, that would be the way to go.
    Yup, That Paint scheme was called "Glamor Paint"

I bought the car because my father had a Blue Brougham withthe glamour paint in the mid-70s He Bought it new in 73, sold itin 77 whenhe got a 924.. Same year Mom got a BMW 530i.

Bigh switch,huh? :)

Bill
    With a factory sunroof?

That's a pretty rare car..probably well worth saving. Seriously., especially an XR7 GT.. they didnt make many of those.

As far as the engine swap, I'd avoid it myself. WHat it will cost is going to be some $Z$ (that 390 will need a rebuild) and you'll devalue either car. Also, the T-Bird really doesnt have (I've owned 3 Squarebirds, and love them but am well aware of what they are dynamically) anywhere near the braking system or suspension to safely even handle the power of a base 352... To say nothing of a hi-po 390.

Bill
    Yes, it is an original factory sunroof. I haven't seen the car for years, but, according to the owner, the body's in pretty bad shape.

Devaluation is not a concern on either car. The 64 Galaxie already has a replacement motor. Also, when I purchased the car in 1969, it was originally a Galaxie 500. I converted it to a 500XL gathering all the XL pieces (buckets/console/moldings, etc) from various cars.

The TBird still has the original motor, but, the prior (first) owner was (no BS) a 93 year old lady when she sold the car. There's no rust, but the car has different shades of white based upon her numerous fender benders. (In fact, the car had a 1960 grille when I bought it in 1989, and I swapped it with someone that had a 58 grille available.)

I've thought about a repaint, but the body shop looked at it and said the cost to strip off all the thick, old paint (due to prior repair work) would choke a horse. He recommended that I just enjoy the car as-is, because, unless you really look at it close, the car looks very nice.

Over the past 13 years, I have had the front bucket seat covers replaced and the rear bumper rechromed. I also changed the dashpad, a bear of a job. Otherwise, the car is an absolutely original 60K miles car (had 49K when I bought it) with the original buyer's paperwork from Hackensack Ford in NJ.

The major problem is the car's blowby. After a run on the highway, when you come to a stop, the smoke from the open breather pipe makes it look like the car is overheating.

I totally agree with your brake/suspension comment, but, while I would have to use the 335 HP every now and then, I'm not of a mind (or age) to really push it.

I appreciate the input.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Would you consider the first three years of the Chevy Caprice (1965-67) classic and collectible? I know that those first models were just basically glorified Impalas with more luxury equipment. But I have seen a few '65s and '66s at car shows and I was impressed by the clean, classic styling. Maybe the unloved last-generation Caprice (1991-96) will become a classic 20 years from now, since it was the last full-size RWD Chevrolet. You never know.
    As far as high-production American cars go, the '65-67 Chevies in generaly seem to be 'coming into their own' as far as collector values go. Like most cars of this era, trim & equipment levels and options go a long way to determine value. That is, a Bel Air sedan with a six is going to be worth about 10-20% what an Impala SS convertible with a 396 or 427 is worth in similar condition. Caprices of this era, from what I've seen, seem to be selling for as much as regular Impalas, but for less than Impala SS. Caprices are frequently better optioned (especially with 'luxury' items of the time--power windows, a/c, tilt wheels and the like) than corresponding Impalas, and generally have bigger engines as well (327s and 396 in particular are common on Caprices). The '65s seem to be quite rare (the Caprice was actually an Impala option on the '65 4-door hardtop only, and became a separate series, with 2-door and 4-door hardtops, in '66).
    There's a small group of people out there who really really like the '66 Caprice two door because of the roofline. It didn't seem to translate that well to the '67 restyle, at least for me. I can't see anyone getting too excited about a four door hardtop, even if it was the first year, unless it was a 396/425-hp or something else just as improbable.
    Took a look at that 69 Cougar this past weekend. (Outside only; nobody was home.) Damn, what a shame.

Vinyl top (white) was peeling, leather seat covers (white) were all ripped and actually peeling off the seats, four flats (at least one tire was an original Goodyear Polyglas GT E70-14), three wheels were the original Cougar rims with chrome trim rings, four bricks on the roof holding a big sheet of plastic over the closed sunroof, and (insult to injury) the car was equipped with factory air conditioning.

Body (red) actually didn't look too bad, but who knows what's underneath. Lot's of surface rust on the bumbers.

Does anybody have an idea as to what this car would have been worth in clean, driveable condition, not show condition?
    Probably about $2,500 if it were clean and a good driver. As you describe it, it seems to be a parts car.
    The fact that it's an XR7 (is it a GT?) with a factory sunroof (rare) both help the value of this car. Check autotrader.com and Hemmings website for current 'asking' prices of Cougars of this vintage with this equipment, if any exist.
    Asking prices have little to do with actual market value, though. A person can put any price he wishes on a car, and we have no idea if it sold or even if the person is really serious about selling it. I have a nice Mercedes 300D, 1980. I love it. I'd sell it only for $5,000 or more. Will I get that for it? No. Is that the market value? No. The market value is $3,000.

A sunroof doesn't change value very much in this case because the car itself is not valuable. So a special or rare piece on a car that is not collectible cannot increase value very much, if that makes sense.

Here's a good price guide, based on actual selling and auction results, not asking prices:

www. manheimgold.com
    Yeah, that was my thought too. No one really cares about Cougars, even the best ones, or at least not enough people care to make them worth much. I had four Cougars, including an ultra-rare factory four speed '68 XR-7, and after I sold it for not much it ended up first in a wrecking yard, then in the back of the Mustang Ranch in San Jose, where the owner was going to part it out. And this was a straight, good running car. Cougars are the Rodney Dangerfield of ponies.
    Mercury has always taken a back seat to Ford in terms of collectibility.
    It's kind of a shame because Cougars are so much nicer than Mustangs. Nicer styling, nicer interiors (especially the Jag-look XR-7), sequential taillights. Cougars are a little heavier but not enough to make a real difference. Even a 289-2v automatic has good power, and the four barrel four speed I had was very entertaining. But the Cougar was always more of a personal luxury car (99% were sold with automatic) and it's performance image that sells '60s ponies.

I think it's Motor Trend that had a very interesting test of a one-off '67 Group 2 Cougar with HiPo 289 (never an option, unfortunately) with Shelby 2x4v, 4.44s and racing clutch. Of the 1% that came with a stick, most were the standard 3-speed so you can see how rare a factory four speed is, but that didn't save my '68 from the scrap heap. As Shifty says, someone has to care.
    It was never my intent to even consider restoring this car. I just thought that it would be interesting to know and to discuss the next time I saw the owner.

I'm guessing, but $2,500 sounds kind of low if the car were a decent looker/driver. The 390/335, 4 speed, roof, and factory A/C make this a pretty rare car.

Cougars are like my 58 TBird: nice cars, but no real value. Great cars to show and drive, though, and isn't that why most of us are in the "classics" game?

Unless you're in the game to make a profit, assuming that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to make the car driveable, who really cares what the value is as long as you enjoy driving it.
    Oh, I didn't realize it was a 4-speed. Okay, another $500 for that.
  • sebringjxisebringjxi Member Posts: 140
    didn't Jerry Titus and company run a pair of Cougars in the very early days of Trans Am? Am I dreaming that? What I wouldn't give to hear a 4V 289 screaming up the high end of the tach....who needs a stereo!

Hal
    From what I've seen, the old big Chevys had better body construction and integrity than did the Fords.
    I do know that a 67 Impala SS convertible sells for quite a bit more than my 67 Galaxie 500 XL convertible. Parts are cheap on the Galaxie (except for a few convertible specific parts), assuming the same for the Impala. Repo parts are readily available as well.

However, you don't realize how many of "classic" car are still around until you own one. There are still a lot of old Impala's and Galaxie's around.
    Saw an early 70's Galaxie sedan on the interstate the other day. The paint had long ago lost the showroom shine, but hadn't faded, the body was straight, and no rust, so I'd say considering its age it was in pretty good shape. Reminded me a lot of my 1978 Grand Marquis.
    Sometimes I wished that I had kept my 72 two door LTD Brougham. Ginger glo (metallic brown) with a dealer installed tan/buckskin top. Looked much nicer than the factory dark brown top. Big high back split front seats in ginger glo (special LTD fabric). Really sharp car.

Car had the 400-2v with, I think, a 3.25 rear. Bad smog year, compared to 71's. Car was peppy off the line, but once it hit second gear, it was like a swift kick in the behind.

Downside: I could never get rid of a drivetrain vibration. When I sold the car (93,000 miles), I made sure the new owner drove it with the windows down so he couldn't hear/feel the vibration.

I even installed one of those new fangled 8 track tape players in the car. Not a bad sound, for it's day.

Car was kept so clean that I was able to get my insurance company to replace the rear bumper that had actually been sandblasted by wind. (I worked at the Elizabeth seaport in New Jersey, and strong winds/sand/dirt blowing across the Newark Airport runway actually destroyed the bumper and both sideview mirrors.)
    Growing up my parent's had a 72 Ford Country Squire - brown with the woodgrain exterior. Had the 429 because my parents were possibly going to use it for towing - last car my parents ordered from the factory. I thought the power tailgate window and having 2 rear speakers was really luxurious compared to the strippo models my parents usually bought (I had 6 brothers and sisters, my Dad was blue collar)

My uncle replaced the carb to try to get better mileage, car never ran right after that. Sold it in 1984 due to the rear quarters rusting through -the interior vinyl was in excellent shape.
    Test drove a '73 Galaxie 500 sedan the other day. All original, with 351W, and only 60,000 miles! The dashboard and vinyl seats were slightly cracked, it was a little long on stopping, and the oil looked black, but everything else looked near perfect. The guy said he thought it was still on the original tires, and from the looks of them, I don't doubt it! He was asking $1,500, but it was way too nice of a car to use for spare parts for my '78 Mercury, and I don't really need to be taking in any stray automobiles right now, so I had to pass on that beauty. I hope someone with a weird affliction for 70's cars gets her, and takes care of her though. Although, I had forgotten about how much these big cars roll if you take a turn too fast (If you're not idling, riding the brakes through the turns, you're going too fast!)
    Were the first FWD GM and Ford cars from the '80s really more difficult to fix and repair than the older RWD models?
  • carnut4carnut4 Member Posts: 574
    because almost anything required complete removal of the engine and trans just to gain access. Things like waterpump replacements, transmission work, etc, were easier with RWD.
  • mminerbimminerbi Member Posts: 88
    That was then. How do the labor requirements of modern (and complex) RWD cars, such as, for example, the Cadillac CTS or BMW 3 Series, compare with their modern FWD counterparts, such as, say, the Acura TL or Lexus 300 ES? RWD and FWD have both gotten more complex, as features such as electronic stability systems have been added, so the question is whether the new features have reduced the labor advantage of RWD versus FWD, and, if so, by approximately how much? The relatively uncrowded engine compartments of the older RWD cars are a thing of the past.
    I'm trying to locate a TSB issued for my 1967 Galaxie dealing with harsh engagement of reverse. It seems it was a TSB issued for all full-size Fords that year. Alldata.com suggested contacting my dealer.

Seeing how the parts dept. there was completely clueless and helpless on assisting me in getting touch up paint for the car (Burgundy Metallic - paint code X if anybody knows where a touch up bottle can be found), is there another source for this info?

To the best of my knowledge, the drivetrain in the car is all factory original.
    in my mom's attic the other day. We were looking and my dad had taken my picture standing between my brother's "college car" a '56 Buick (4 hole job!) and our 64 1/2 (is that the right year?) Galaxie 500 XL--fastback. It was the only 2 door car I remember us having while I was growing up and the one my dad always called "the best running car" he'd ever seen. Mom and I were more fond of the '69 Marquis with the 429 in it, but that's a different story.

Was the 64 1/2 the first year of the "fastback" in the Galaxie?

Enjoy!

Hal
    ......was introduced as a mid-year model in 1963. It was immediately popular (100,500 sold, making it the 2nd best selling Ford that year). The '64 two door hardtop wasn't even available with the 'formal' square roofline.
    ...by the fastback?

http://www.galaxieclub.com/memcarpix/63/Mem1443.jpg

This particular model is a '63, which I believe was the first year for that style of roof. The other 2-door hardtop roof looked like this...

http://www.galaxieclub.com/memcarpix/63/Mem407b.jpg

I think the more formal roof was dropped totally for 1964.

....you and I must be on the same wavelength!
    Ours must have been a '64, cream colored with those beautiful Ford wire wheel covers! I don't remember much else about that car, but it was cool! Would that (or could that) have been a 390 in the '64? Later my mom had a '66 Mercury with a 390 4V which we traded for the '69 429 4V--what a hoss!

Thanks guys!
This discussion has been closed.