Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I've been tied up on a few things. For what it's worth to everyone - when you have a concern,

Call the dealer Service/Sales Manager to register your complaint and give them a shot at addressing the problem.

If your not happy, call 1-800-SUBARU3 and get a case started. One of our Reps. can call the dealer and make sure that all resources were used in trying to find a solution. Worse case scenerio (if something can't be duplicated) you've got the issue on record if there is a problem down the road.

If our telephone lines are backed up, just send us an e-mail via the "contact us" section of Subaru.com. Make sure you include your VIN, mileage, name of the dealer that you're working with and the name of the folks at the dealer you've contacted.

Thanks!

Patti
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Don,

Ideally, you do want them matched as close as possible. Many better tire shops can shave your new tire to match the remaining set on your car.

Steve
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Last summer? Has it been a year yet? Usually they are guaranteed for a year or so.

They might have installed cheap pads, but I'm surprised they wore so quickly.

But...could be a pebble or something stuck between the pads.

-juice
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    My trusted tranny guy swears by a tranny service, including the filter, every 15K, period. A flush doesn't change the filter. Just had my wife's car done yesterday, in anticipation of the summer camping/towing season. Given a choice, I'd elect the service with the filter change. Cheap insurance.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    What's the function of the spin-on tranny filter vs the internal tranny filter? Subaru lists the spin-on as a "no maintenance required" filter.

I would think if you're going to change one, you'd also change the other?

Just curious

Larry
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    sounds like a defective battery that can't hold a charge to me....

Craig
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Actually, something is draining the battery. A light bulb, after market radio or something.

Remember the lady in Alaska?? who had this problem...finally traced to a Blaupunkt stereo or something that was drawing waaaay more than it should have,

Jim
    Remembering the lady in Alaska - if that was an aftermarket stereo, wouldn't Subaru be off the hook for warranty support on that one? It did take a long time to find, but in the final deal if it was aftermarket equipment wouldn't she be responsible for the diagnostic time?

Unless of curse it was installed as a local dealer option - I know sometimes they'll count that under some portion of the warranty.

Just curious

Larry
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Larry,

This is just a guess, but I would be willing to bet that the spin-on filter cartridge has multi-X more total surface area, and probably presents a big improvement in filtering capacity with lower flow restriction than the gauze filter I have seen in some pans. So by those standards, it becomes "life time" under normal conditions. Of course, if you cook the tranny, replace every drop of fluid you can - pan, torque converter & filter.

Steve
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Discussed this with my dealer. Although it is considered a lifetime filter, the dealer guessed that at some point they will recommend a replacement schedule. Just makes sense to me to change it when changing the fluid - it's so easy.

Greg
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I am not so sure what is considered 'lifetime'. The filter on my 99 GT let go about 3 weeks ago at 103k. I just had a full tranny service at 99.5k. Dealer said that they usually don't usually replace this, and this never happens!
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    We're at 1-800-SUBARU3 and see that it's addressed. Sorry.

Patti

PS - To those asking about the the Alaska mess? It wasn't a warranty issue.FWIW
  • gof4gof4 Member Posts: 22
    I have a '01 bean which has given me over 40,000 reliable miles with the exception of the brakes which I consider the worst of any car that I've owned in my 42 years of driving.
    I checked with tire rack & they indicate that Brembo rotors are available. As for pads, they have a brand called Akebono Proact ceramic. Has anyone tried these or anyother brand which proves more reliable than what Subaru has to offer. I refuse to keep paying to have rotors cut every 16-18,000 miles. I did purchase a torque wrench, so hopefully over-torqued lug nuts will no longer be a concern.
    Thanks all.
    Bob
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    4-5 years is about right for a battery especially if you're in the Northeast. I don't think I have ever had a battery last more than 5 years.

Craig
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    '96 Outback - 6.5 years and 128k miles - still on the original battery when I sold it.

Dad's '94 Lincoln - 80k miles? - sold to uncle but I believe it's still on the original battery.

Brother's '98 Jeep GC - 102k miles - still on the original battery.

All in PA with -10 to 110 temperature extremes.

Of course, YMMV

DaveM
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Should be good for your outback.
    We sell th Akebonos for our street-only drivers at AZP Installs.

-mike
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    can be sensitive to low electrolyte (water), over charging, excessive discharge, problems with the charging system, as well as manufacturing defects.

There are many, many potential causes for YMMV.

Jim
    If the car's been reliable, go ahead and invest in the brakes mike is suggesting, he outta know given AZP installs them every weekend.

I got 4-5 years from my battery, mostly my fault for neglecting the fluid level. If it's 5 years or older you could have it load-tested for free at most retailers.

-juice
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Bob and Subaru Forum:

Although I am not a Subaru owner, but rather a regular contributor the the Toyota Avalon forum, I have experienced very similar problems with the Toyota Avalon. I also read the Honda Accord Forum and the new Accord has the same problems. Many opinions are my own but this is what I know from the facts that are presented to me.

1. Many of the OEM rotors the Japanese companies are using are inferior in their metalurgy. Basically, they contract out for cheaper parts and use them now. The metal is not the same as old, and since many of the cars, are front or all wheel drive, the heat cooks the rotors and warps them, especially on automatic transmissions.

2. I had major problems with Toyota and the local dealership with this, and went through multiple tire, wheel, and alignment changes, most at their expense but not all. Finally, I took the rotors off myself, and had them put on a brake lathe and such enough, one of the front rotors was severely warped, probably from the factory or whoever manufactured them and did not let them cool correctly. I had the problem since I got the car.

3. I have put on rotors, aftermarket, specially SP rotors drilled and slotted, both front and rear with new pads. I also changed the fluid and got speed bleeders to do it. Realize, I am an US Army officer who is lucky enough to have Auto Crafts shops with lifts at the bases so I can put the car up on the rack and sometimes if the mechanics are in a good mood, they help out.

4. I cannot recommend enough buying premium quality rotors and pads, and either doing it yourself correctly, or taking it to someone who has your trust and is very skilled to put them on, apply anti-squeal grease as needed on the back of the pads and grease the pins to the calipers, etc. You will notice a very big difference that the inferior quality stuff they give you when you buy the car.

5. The parts that you mention and the company is reputable. If you don't mind a little "woring" noise when the brake is applied, then I would recommend slotted and/or drilled rotors, otherwise plain rotors should do that are better metal. Premium pads will help grip better, slotted rotors help dissipate gas from the pad and water so you will notice a remarkable difference during wet weather braking. Chance the fluid, as per what the manufacturer reccomends every 3 years regardless of mileage. Never, turn the rotors, IMO, it is not worth it on the most important part of your car. I bought my last set from a company in Syracuse, called Raceshopper, but any company that carries premium products, such as Brembo, SP rotors, Powerslot, etc will be a vast improvement.

Good luck

"Feed your forum"

abfisch
  • mcrairmcrair Member Posts: 4
    We have an 00 Outback with about 60k miles. We do a lot of city driving in warm weather. We had to replace the battery and the alternator at about 40k miles (out of warranty service). I didn't thing a dead battery at 40k was too out of the norm, but wasn't happy about having to replace the alternator...

Mike
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    Thanks for dropping in, it's nice to know that this isn't a Subaru-only thing.
    Owen
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I think the batteries in Subies are from Johnson Controls. At least the one in my '00 Outback was. It was fine during the 4 years of ownership, although it did need some water to top off the cells after about 2 years.

-Brian
    I think the 2000 Outback gained weight compared to the '99, that puts more stress on the brakes. Then in 2001 or 2002 they made the rotors bigger.

For 2005, the rotors are bigger still, better yet the cars got lighter.

We haven't had any issues with brakes with the 5 Subies in our family, though 2 are relatively new.

-juice
  • xenakimboxenakimbo Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone used Bosch plugs and wires on their Subaru? How are they? What is best for Subies other than factory ones? Why are Bosch plugs for Subies so much more expensive than for other cars?
  • ckayakckayak Member Posts: 6
    nathh

Just now found this Board so I hope you've contacted Subaru. I had the same thing happen ($1500 including timing belt) at 67,000 miles (I have a '98 GT wagon). I was outraged that this had to be done. Well enough stewing about it (several months) and I finally wrote to Subaru. Outstanding customer service. One more thing I am not the original owner. They paid me for almost the whole job (because I had it done at an independent) *and* I asked them to reimburse me for the second opinion I sought from a dealership - which they did. My reasoning being that it was far too expensive a job. Even if a dealership was going to do the work I would have taken it to another one for a second opinion.

The reason they didn't reimburse me for the whole amount: It would have taken fewer hours hours at a dealership. Of course it would have cost $500 more *and* they would have had my car for a week. Go figure. My shop did it in 3 days and saved me $500!
  • gof4gof4 Member Posts: 22
    Mike,
    Can you give me an idea on cost? I live about 15 miles outside of Philadelphia & I don't know who to go to for the work . Don't want to use the chain stores like Pep-boys. Would I have to do all four wheels or would doing the front wheels be enough. One of the other posts suggested slotted rotors vs solid. What's your thoughts. Also, besides the pads & rotors are there any other componet parts that would need upgrading?
    Thanks.
    Bob
    p.s thanks to abfisch for your comments.
    I'm not that far from you over in NJ and we may be able to help you out.

-mike
  • alger1alger1 Member Posts: 10
    I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 97' OUTBACK, MY 1st SUBARU. I NOTICED A SLIGHT VIBRATION WHEN I TURNED TO THE RIGHT, ABOUT A WEEK LATER. THE VIBRATION TURNED INTO A SCRAPING SOUND SOON AFTER, BEING A "DO IT YOURSELFER", I CHANGED THE DRIVERS SIDE FRONT AXLE ASSEMBLY. THIS DIDN'T HELP; SO, I REPLACED BOTH FRONT ROTORS. THIS ALSO DIDN'T HELP. WHATS NEXT???? THE WHEEL BEARINGS??? THE SOUND/VIBRATION IS ONLY PRESENT WHEN THE WHEEL IS TURNED AND INCREASES WITH SPEED. CAN ANYONE HELP DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM BEFORE I ABANDON SUBARU'S ALTOGETHER???
    That's a wheel bearing.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    First off, it would help if you turned off the cap lock. Second, you bought a 7-year old car. Expect problems...

Sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, but these kinds of problems could happen on any car that old, not just Subarus. As Mike said, it sounds like a wheel bearing.

Bob
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate the straight answer without the smart alec response, like the one below yours.
       Thanks Again,
             ALGER1
    Well at least you turned off the caps... Good luck with your car.

Bob
    First off, the caps are off, second I've owned several Toyotas that were 7 plus yrs. old and haven't had a problem. I was told, by several friends that Subaru's were as reliable as Toyotas; I was just hoping that they were right. And yes I do know that wheel bearings and such wear out with age, I was just hoping that I didn't have to spend a fortune on (as you stated) a car that old.
    When I (we) see a post in all caps, it is often interpreted as shouting or screaming, hence my original reply—and there's no need to shout or scream, as we are all friends here (most of the time).

I'm being sincere when I say good luck with your car.

Bob
    The previous owner could have whacked something that caused the wheel bearing to go. I have that problem on my '94 Legacy Turbo that I bought. I whacked a huge crater and killed a wheel bearing shortly after.

-mike
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    throwing parts at an 'unknown' problem generally isn't economical. Next time you have a problem, come here first :-D
    Owen
    Mike,
      Just wanted to let you know that I took my Outback to the local Subaru dealership today; the man that wrote down my info tried to tell me that I had some sort of transmission problem that is common to these cars (without even driving the car). When I showed resistance to his diagnosis, he said the tranny might just need a flush and fill. I told him that is possible, but I believe the wheel bearings are shot. He's supposed to call me after the mechanic does his diagnosis. I'll let you know!
     Later,
        Marty
    Wheel bearing problems are much less common on Outbacks (vs. Imprezas and Foresters before 2002) but it still happens on occasion.

Marty: at that mileage an ATF flush is probably a good idea, just know that it's not what's causing the noise you're complaining about.

In fact I might wait just to be sure the noise goes away after that single fix.

-juice
    I just got off the phone with the dealership and it is a bad wheel bearing. They said the car has to have a four wheel allignment when the wheel bearings are replaced.. is this true, even though the car tracks fine? I hope so, because it's drove the cost up to over $400.00 just to replace a wheel bearing.
    Juice,
        I agree that the tranny needs flushed, and that it will be done after, I'm sure that the repair was done to my satisfaction. Is there any other little or large problems that can be expected in the near or distant future? I hope not, this wasn't supposed to be a project car.
      Thanks for the advice,
             Marty
    While the car is with the mechanic, have him go over it thoroughly, as if you were going to buy it. That way you will have a better idea of what to expect down the road.

Bob
    $400 with alignment isn't that bad, and yes it's required after a wheel bearing. Unfortunately the bearing cost is $50 but the labor is killer.

-mike
    Marty: no worries, Mazda charged us $820 for a single wheel bearing on our 626. You paid half as much as we did.

The alignment is a good idea, IMO.

Keep the oil fresh and just listen our for any unusual noises/vibes. Stick around and we'll help if any issues come up. Generally someone can.

-juice
    Thanks guys,
         The car is a really nice vehicle, it looks brand new inside and out. I guess thats why I was so upset that it needed the TLC that cost $$$. I plan to keep reading, but I must admit that I hope that the need to write never comes again.
      Later,
       Marty
    where you located at?

-mike
    The Horse Capital of the World:Lexington, Kentucky.
    -Marty
    Ah ha! Nice.

-mike
    Still trying to track down the noise in the wife's 03 OBW before I take it in for service. I think its' basically a once-per-revolution noise.

Definitely doesn't sound like anything related to the valve train

Makes a loud (I can hear from >20 feet away) clicking noise, definitely louder under load, but still seems to fade away after about 20 minutes. I'm going to go pick up a new stethescope this weekend.

Any ideas where's a good place for me to start to listen on the engine?

TIA

Larry
    Patti said dealers have a tool they call "ears" that can track the source of noise. Course you may have to leave it overnight.

-juice
    Like to see those in action....

Actually I plan on leaving it for a couple of nights. The first one is for them to find it, the 2nd for me to be there in case they can't...

Larry