Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good idea. Keep us posted?

-juice
  • bodhiviewbodhiview Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a 03 OB and starting at @ 65 and progressing louder at 67mph and increasing with each mph increase is a high pitch squeal to very loud at 72, 75 mph. When foot comes off petal sound stops, but starts/continues when foot steps down on pedal and is continuous when cruise control is in place. Dealer said it is probably AWD engine and women notice it more than men. Have there been other reports of this?

I've always had Subarus since 1981 and this noise is crazy. Can't keep car if this can't be fixed as I use it for distance travel. HELP!!
    Just bought a 03 OB and starting at @ 65 and progressing louder at 67mph and increasing with each mph increase is a high pitch squeal to very loud at 72, 75 mph. When foot comes off petal sound stops, but starts when foot steps down on pedal and is continuous when cruise control is in place. Dealer said it is probably AWD engine and women notice it more than men. Have there been other reports of this?

I've always had Subarus since 1981 and this noise is crazy. Can't keep car if this can't be fixed as I use it for distance travel. HELP!!
  • lorikentlorikent Member Posts: 1
    I am strongly considering my first Subaru purchase - the 2005 Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition. When researching this car, someone mentioned that the manual clutch assembly on Subaru vehicles seems to need replacing more frequently than normal. The Subaru warranty does not cover the clutch assembly, which has me a little worried if there are chronic clutch problems. Can anyone verify this or share some of their own thoughts? Would I be better off going automatic?
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    That issue was fixed with the 03 model year. The clutch on my 03 WRX has been bulletproof, and I haven't seen any complaints of other clutch problems here on the 03-05 models (plenty before 03 however). So I think you are safe to get a manual 05 model.

Craig
    If it's a continuous high pitched whine then it's the gears in the center/front differential (and this is fairly common). My 02 LL Bean Outback makes this noise, but it's barely noticeable. FYI, it's not a problem, it's normal. However, that's not much help if the noise bothers you!

Craig
    Do you hear it at a certain speed and does it get louder? The dealer said it may be part of AWD and that in the past the tried changing the transmission but the noise continued and Subaru HQ's told him to stop. Thanks. Phyl
    I think my car makes the whine at about 65mph and up, only when you press the gas pedal. It's like a real faint whistle noise.

craig
    That's it. Does anyone else hear it and is it loud enough to bother people? Thanks. Phyll
  • jhuang76jhuang76 Member Posts: 9
    I assume the Subaru dealership you went to was Oldham? If you don't mind me asking, how was the service? Did they fix your problem to your satisfaction?

Thanks
  • vetmatsvetmats Member Posts: 71
    I have the same type of whine in my '03 Outback H6. It's only audible when traveling 65 mph+ and when the gas is pressed.
    Is it bothersome to your ears? Would you have liked to know before purchasing th '03? Phyll
  • self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    My 02 Bean high pitch squeal definitely comes from the fuel pump. The high pitch noise is there the day I bought the car and I traced it down to the fuel pump.

Alland
  • alger1alger1 Member Posts: 10
    Yes, they did fix the problem. However, they did not call me to tell me that the car was ready. So I called them the this morning only to find out that the service department was closed today. After telling the guy on the phone that I hadn't been notified of the status of my car or that they were to be closed today, he took it on himself to locate my car, insure that the repair had been made, and wait for me at the service dept. for delivery of my car. Even though they failed to communicate, the one man saved them a real flogging... as I needed the car for the week-end.
    -Marty
  • mfsbmfsb Member Posts: 17
    Can anyone suggest a good place to get a cover for my 2002 LLB wagon? Thanks, Bill
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Wife's 03 OBW makes that sound, although it seems to have a narrower range. My 03 Forester also made the same sound, range was just different by a mile or two. Funny thing is my 04 XT doesn't make the noise at any speed. At least the speeds I've dared to drive at.

Larry
  • vetmatsvetmats Member Posts: 71
    Phyll,
       I don't even notice it anymore. At first, it bothered me until I figured out that it was normal. I don't consider the noise loud enough to be an annoyance, and it ends up getting drowned out by either my radio or some wind noise from my roof bike rack.
       I still would have bought my Outback knowing about the noise. It's much more quiet overall than my wife's Accord!
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    I recall the engine whine heard above 65 mph was traced to the Pinion Bearing/Gear Ring which at one point SOA was replacing, but not anymore. I recall it was considered an annoyance rather than something broken that needed fixing. Do an Edmunds search for "Subaru Pinion Bearing" or "Subaru engine whine" and you'll come up with some references. Martin
    Did search and in 2002 the note said they suspected SOA won't work on it anymore. I'll see and do more searches. Thanks so much. Phyll
  • rltrockrltrock Member Posts: 2
    I took delivery of a new 2005 Legacy Wagon only to discover that the cargo door is misaligned! This is causing the the stock spoiler to scratch against the edge of the roof, bending the plastic spoiler and scraping the paint off of the edge of the roof. I do not know what other problems will emerge from this -- such as leaking.

I bought the car in New Hampshire, but am now living in New York City. My wife took the car to a local Subaru service to have this addressed. After fiddling with the spoiler, they said this problem is a manufacturer defect and that there is nothing you can do about it! They even told me I would have to deal with the repainting myself. In the meantime, they made the problem worse with a minor adustment to the spoiler -- not the real problem. I am very irritated.

I was told that the Official SOA Presence on this forum (aka Patti) would be able to help me out. Patti, if you are out there, I can sure use your help.

At this point I cannot recommend buying one of the new Subarus given this production problem and the attitude of dealers with respect to addressing these matters. It's a shame, in that Subaru has completely revamped the Legacy model to compete on the higher end and have a big marketing campaign to push these cars. The marketing people may have their act together, but production, quality control, and the dealer servicers are blowing it.

Hopefully, Patti will be in touch with me. I will keep this forum (and other forums) posted of what happens from here.

In the meantime, you've been warned.

Ron
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    I thought the spoilers were an option added at the port or the dealer. Or is it now a standard item installed at the factory?
    Sounds like an isolated problem -- this is the first report we've heard among many new cars.

Dealers are notoriously bad for fixing "finesse" issues like this. You'd probably be better off studying it and finding the real issue yourself, then call the Subaru 1-800 number and start a case. You can ask to have Patti look at the file.

If the hatch is attached at any point using bolts (and I believe it is) there may be shims that can be adjusted.

Look all around the opening, study the gaps, and see if you can see what is out of whack.

Eric -- yes, the spoiler is now standard equipment.

Craig
  • chazmaticchazmatic Member Posts: 6
    Hello Subaru people. I'm new here. I'm looking at a 1998 Outback, Auto, 83K, 30th annerversary, Limited, 2 sunroofs. Asking price is $9500. It maybe my first Subaru. Anything I should look or watch out for. Any help would be great, thanks again, Chazmatic.
  • toyo_ztoyo_z Member Posts: 47
    hi all
    '96 legacy L 2.2l auto, 100k miles. Been an incredibly reliable machine that has taken a ton of abuse.

I'm having an annoying issue with it now --
    When i'm stopped at a stoplight, with the foot on the brake, the car has an annoying vibration -- bad enough so that stuff in the glovebox actually shakes.

Interestingly, if I slide the car into neutral, the vibration goes away.

Even more interestingly, it only happens when the A/C is on. When i turn the A/C off, the vibration becomes much less.

The vibration also goes away as soon as I give it some gas & start moving again.

Any idea what's going on here? Other than the annoying vibration, the car runs just as well as it did the day i drove it off the dealer's lot..
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Way high!
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Sam,

When you come to a stop with an automatic still in gear, the engine is mildly 'fighting' against a drag caused by the torqe converter. If you put it in neutral, you become drag free. It would be like letting in the clutch slightly with a std tranny - the drag bogs the engine, and everything shakes. With the A/C on, the engine controls raise the idle speed slightly to overcome the compressor drag, but this can make everything resonate even more if there is free play in the entire system. What you report is basically normal, but the vibration should be controlled so that you do not notice it as much.

Motor mounts play a roll in quelling this shake and its coupling to the body structure. A combo of elastic and metal parts, they are 'tuned' to the engine/drivetrain resonance to keep your fillngs from rattling. Assuming no other major mechanical issues, I suspect that you might have a bad mount - worn or broken - that is allowing greater motion and harshness.

Other remote possibilities - electronic error moving idle too high, pre-mature engagement of the torque converter lock, etc., but look at the mounts before going this route.

Steve
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Ron,

I would echo Craig in saying call the 800-subaru number as well. Out of curiousity which dealer did you go to in NY?

Mark
  • rltrockrltrock Member Posts: 2
    Hillside Subaru (Queens)
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    at 1-800-Subaru3. Please tell the Rep. that I want to see the case. There is no way that we would tell someone to "live" with that or that they would have to pay for the repair. Something is amiss. FWIW - this is the first I've heard of an issue like this and I'm sure we can get it resolved.

Patti
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    should not anticipate a problem. Also, the clutch is covered under the 3/36 warranty. Let us know if you buy it!

Patti
    If a squeel/whine is speed dependent, my first guess would be wheel bearings.

Ron: you're the first such report, so it sounds like an anomaly. Call 800-SUBARU3 and ask them to open up a case number.

Also, go to a dealer that has a good body shop - they'll be more likely to fix it. Avoid dealers that outsource body work.

chazmatic: drive it with the radio off, windows down. It should be smooth, quiet. Fortunately for you any problems tend to be rather obvious, noisy. Check the bottom of the engine block for oil stains (evidence of leaks). Also have your mechanic inspect it. Good luck.

-juice
  • alger1alger1 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 97' model,(no sun roofs) for about 1/2 that price. Keep shopping, they are better deals.
  • szseattleszseattle Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me why Consumer Reports is so down on Subaru reliablility? This is a big sticking point with us when buying a car...we want a wagon but nothing is "recommended" by CR. Any info is appreciated.
  • busyteribusyteri Member Posts: 3
    Hi all!
    I recently had my ('97 OBW) head gaskets changed (at $1700,,, ouch). The engine was over heating. Apparently, the radiator fluid was leaking out and going through the exhaust system. This happened for at least a week until the shop could get the car in to do the repairs. Everything is good... no over heating and runs pretty much the same as before... except...whenever I accelerate (and only when I'm going up a hill or speeding up on the highway) there is a high pitched whistle coming from near the rear of the car. As soon as the car shifts (it's an automatic)gears the squealing stops.. until I either go faster and the car changes gears again. The mechanic told me that fluid had gotten into the catalytic converter (i have no idea if that's how i spell it) and as it burned off it left a residue. He described the residue as if it were a clogged artery,, as the exhaust or whatever goes through the converters (yes, I am lucky enough to have two)it is causing that whistling noise. He told me to put premium gas in it and go on a trip. I have put two full tanks of premium in the tank and drove nearly 600 mi. and the whistle is still there. Perhaps it is slightly better at lower speeds and lower engine output, but nonetheless it's still there. Anyone have any ideas? I realize replacing the converters is not something I want to do because the car isn't worth that much to me. I wanted to keep it another year, but not if i have to replace those.
    Thanks for your input!!
    Teri
  • subarujonsubarujon Member Posts: 13
    2003 LL Bean Wagon: the auto dim mirror has never seemed to really dim at night when headlights from behind shine from behind me. Since I am tall I tilted the mirror post up to get it out of my driving view...maybe this affected the sensor. Anyway, I have not really worried too much about it. I got a new parking garage pass; this one is square, so I decided to hang it from the mirror instead of laying it on the dash (as opposed to the rectangular ones in the past that would block my view). Now the mirror dims; infact, it dims all the time which is fine..no more nightime headlight glare. I am trying to figure this one out...the front sensor must be blocked so the mirror thinks that is dark.
  • tonyreidx3tonyreidx3 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a '95 Legacy Wagon, and the cruise control is the only thing that seems to not be working. Any ideas on what is most likely the cause? Is it the vacuum pump or actuator, or most probably something else? Any tips on what to test and how to track down the problem and fix it would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

-T
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Tony: I'm certainly no expert, but here's a few things to check until someone who knows what they're talking about chimes in :)

First thing, check the fuse block, either under the dash or under the hood - it may be as simple as that. Make sure the actuator or cable is actually attached to the throttle assembly. If it's a vacuum device, search for leaks. If it's a manual tranny, check to see that the 'cancel' switch on the clutch pedal is connected and adjusted properly. There may be a similar switch on the brake pedal as well, or it may be tied into the brake light switch.

HTH - no expert advice, but perhaps a good basic starting point.

Cheers!
    Paul
    The only Subaru CR does not recommend is the Baja, in fact all other Subarus are used car Best Bets in their latest buying guide, FWIW.

-juice
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Last night the CHECK ENGINE light came on in my '96 OBW (70,878 miles)-took it in to be investigated and was told the Crankshaft Sensor had to be replaced-had a new one installed for a total cost of $229.03. In April the ABS Hydraulic Pump had to be replaced for approx.$1100.00.There are other minor nagging problems;gas guage not reading correctly, the power door locking mechanism not functioning consistently, knock sensor replaced and the old standby rotor situation. I really enjoy this vehicle but even though it is 9 years old I am beginning to wonder......... I have maintained the vehicle fairly meticulously and can just hope that there are no newer costly repairs on the near horizon
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I had a '96 OBW (2.5L AT); drove it for 6.5 yrs and 128k miles and never had any of those problems with the exception of the power locks being intermittent. The only problems I had were the front crank seal (twice) and a left rear wheel bearing.

DaveM
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Philip, I had a 96 OBW 2.5 auto. After 7 years and over 85k, all I did was tires, 2 sets of rotors and alternator (under warrantee) along with normal maintenance. The gas guage did not read correctly for 4 years - we ignored it. There were no problems, and the car was in perfect condition. Woke up one morning and traded it for an 03 OBW, just because I felt like it. (and my wife stated that the color green was out and sea mist was in!)

My 99 GT 2.5 auto has over 105k, and all I have done is brakes (all around at 80k), tires, and some nusiance warrantee work, transmission seal, power antenna, ignition coil along with normal maintence. I drive this car 90 miles a day, every day.

Given the age and mileage of your car, I don't think the repairs have been outrageous, and I don't think that anybody could predict what will need to be done next. Based on the experience of many owners 100k and nominal repairs are the norm for these cars. Rob M.
    At that age all bets are off, a lot of it from now it just good ol' luck (or bad).

That started happening with our Mazda 626 after 5 years. By year 7 we'd spent $2500 and decided to sell it.

This time we got an extended warranty, 7/100.

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I had a 96 OBW 2.5 auto... Woke up one morning and traded it for an 03 OBW, just because I felt like it. (and my wife stated that the color green was out and sea mist was in!)

The twilight zone! My '96 OBW 2.5 auto was green and my '03 base OBW auto is Sea Mist. :D

Is your '03 a base or limited? MT or Auto?

OK, when are you getting a new OBW and what color? :-) Thinking an '06 OB XT 5EAT in Red or an '06 base or limited OB 4EAT (but hoping for 5EAT) in Champagne. May wait to MY07 though.

DaveM
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Dave, the 03 is a base model with automatic and a spoiler, just like the old one.

The next OB? LOL! I will be replacing my 99 GT LTD with an 05 GT LTD, so my guess would be a MY09 or 10. Wonder which shade of green will be in vogue that year?
    Sorry, Rob, you have to wait a year until Dave is ready. ;-)

-juice
  • joyridea4joyridea4 Member Posts: 48
    Subarujon, I had the same problem with my 2001 LL bean outback. I cleaned the sensor with a Qtip which helped a little but still did not solve the problem. I then tried removing the back seat center head rest since I never had three people in the back. This seemed to help a lot on the auto dimming function. You might try that and see if it works for you.
    Good Luck
    Don
  • mlouttitmlouttit Member Posts: 19
    This is my third Legacy wagon (94, 96 (Outback), 99). On every one, every since new, I can't keep front tires on the car. I rotate every 3,000 miles and get the car aligned every 6,000 miles (which gets quite expensive) and the insides just go to nothing. I have NEVER put more than 20,000 miles on a set of 4 tires before the insides were gone from all four. I have tried many different tires and many different alignment shops and the results are always the same. I understand that I will wear tires faster with the AWD but I would hope to still wear the tires evenly. Because of the uneven wear, I can't even take advantage of proration on the new tires.
    I have talked to other Subary owners who don't seem to have this problem but I have had it on three straight cars now.
    I really like the 2005 Legacy and I have a great relationship with my local dealer but I may look elsewhere because of this issue.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • coopcoop Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to find a utility trailer that is light enough for my new 2005 Outback. Max weight for the Outback is only 1,000 kg. I'm told it's because of the brakes and AWD. Is anyone aware of a trailer available in Canada that fits the bill?

Thanks,
    Dano
  • mlouttitmlouttit Member Posts: 19
    This is my third Legacy wagon (94, 96 (Outback), 99). On every one, every since new, I can't keep front tires on the car. I rotate every 3,000 miles and get the car aligned every 6,000 miles (which gets quite expensive) and the insides just go to nothing. I have NEVER put more than 20,000 miles on a set of 4 tires before the insides were gone from all four. I have tried many different tires and many different alignment shops and the results are always the same. I understand that I will wear tires faster with the AWD but I would hope to still wear the tires evenly. Because of the uneven wear, I can't even take advantage of proration on the new tires.
    I have talked to other Subary owners who don't seem to have this problem but I have had it on three straight cars now.
    I really like the 2005 Legacy and I have a great relationship with my local dealer but I may look elsewhere because of this issue.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Try Costco. They have had a lightweight utility trailer available (some assembly required) :)

IIRC, about $500USD.

Cheers!
    Paul