Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    This is a SWAG, but I don't think the accident caused the leak. Call 800-SUBARU3 and ask if they will cover the HG leak.

-juice
  • msfrankmsfrank Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Outback wagon, a manual. The day after 12 hours on the road on a cross-country trip, I started my car to let it warm up, put it in neutral, released the clutch, and the car stalled. I then put it in gear, applied the gas, and it wouldn't budge. I ended up having the car towed to a Subaru dealer (fortunately I was in the one town in North Dakota that has a Subaru dealer), and it turned out that my car, even though the shifter appeared to be in neutral, was actually stuck in gear, which explains why it stalled. They popped it out of gear, said my shifter was loose, and, "hoping" it would fix the problem, they installed a new one. I went on my way and finished the trip without incident.

Even though the car runs fine, I fear there may be a larger problem with my transmission. (The car has 120,000 miles on it.) Anyone have any insight? Thanks...

Matt
  • trunniontrunnion Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 1996 Subaru Legacy wagon. The rear outer brake lights have stopped working (but the ones on the tailgate still work). Can someone tell me which fuse could be blown or what other problem there could be? If it's fuses I have an additional problem in that the car was imported from Japan and the fuse boxes are in Japanese, which I don't understand! Help !!!
  • ravilynravilyn Member Posts: 6
    I got this brand new 06, Legacy Sedan, 2.5i Ltd.
    The steering is very very light, almost effortless.
    One think that is quite odd to me is that, the speed
    with which the car straightens up, when you take the
    hands off the steering wheel.

Normally when I make a right turn from a stop sign for
    example, half way through the turn I relax the grip
    and let the car straighten out to complete the turn.
    I am used to the feel of my other cars,
    (98 Nissan Sentra and 97 Legacy Wagon L). But this 06
    Legacy Sedan, does not straighten back as fast. It does
    straighten, and it does not pull to one side or the other
    on straight stretches, even with hands off the wheel.
    But at these very low speeds, less than 10-15 mph, it
    seems to be slower than expected.

Is it normal? Or am I used to the stiff steering of the
    older, cheaper cars?
  • tkanictkanic Member Posts: 78
    It should not be as you describe. There should be variable assist also so the stearing 'stiffens' up at higher speeds. I suspect that for some reason that part is not working and it is in 'low speed, full assist' mode all the time.

The above is a guess, as I don't know all that much about how power steering works.
  • ravilynravilyn Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, I will find an empty parking lot
    and try to test how long it takes to straighten
    out.
    Will set the steering at 11 O clock or
    1 O' clock position and drive at 10 mph with
    hands off the wheel.

Bright Idea: :surprise:
    Should take a video camera
    and record the instrument panel and the steering
    wheel too. That way I can import the video clip
    into the computer and precisely calculate how long
    it takes for the wheel to straighten out.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Driving to work this AM... I started noticing a rattling or rumbling noise coming from the rear passenger side when I accellerated. When I parked it and hit the gas , no noise.
    Any ideas?

PS... I haven't tried a gel seat cushion becasue I can't find one anywhere....besides... the problem is that the bolsters are too hard and narrow... and placing a cushion on it will just make it too high. If I lower it all the way, then it tilts forward. The only answer is a reupholstery shop or try it myself.
    I checked out the 2006 OB seat and it was redesigned slightly...and I think it seems a little more comfortable ( the bolsters seem softer and the bottom pad layout is altered). Doesn't do me any good.
    Matt - sorry, never heard of a problem like that.

trunnion - I'd go with the most likely, a simple burned out bulb.

-juice
    Bent heat shield. Grand Prix Subaru fixed it in 5 minutes... no problem.
  • rowdy_ritarowdy_rita Member Posts: 1
    OK this is not a pity message or anything but I need some help?Son bought a 96 Subaru Legacy 2.2.The kid was in a wreak when he was 9 the money he got out of it was put into a trust fund and when he turned 18 he got it out and went and bought this car mom didn't buy it for him. He got it well kid drove it for 3 months broke down it was the hornonic balancer the man charged me 1,000 bucks said it was fixed drove it 100 miles flung everything off.I went and bought balancer,bolt,key way and gear new.Now I have it all together but going by the book on how to put the belts back on is inpossabile can't see the fine print picture.Can someone please I am asking please tell me where to go to get a bigger printout on how the belts are suppose to go?If so please e-mail it to me.rovvdy_rita@yahoo.com.
    That's pretty hard to read, and I tried twice...

I think you need a good shop manual, that's what I would search for. Ideally you mark the belts before you remove the old ones.

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Agreed.... that message was a bear to read! I think the "belts" to which you refer is actually the timing belt. If so, there are marks on the timing sprockets and on the belt that make for quick, easy alignment. The crankshaft sprocket will have a tick mark on the back of it that should be pointed top-dead-center. The belt has a corresponding dotted line across it the should line up with the mark on the sprocket. From there, head to the RIGHT (your right while working on it!) and weave the belt through the idler pulleys (the tensioner should be removed at this point)and line up all of the marks on the belt with the marks on the corresponding camshaft sprockets. I am not sure how the 2.2L is set up as mine is a 2.5, but a Haynes manual (~$20) should do the trick.

If you are NOT referring to the timing belt, please clarify your original post.

Good luck!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • toastytoasty Member Posts: 1
    How do I change the fog lights in my 05 Outback Waggy? Book says "Dealer", can't be that bad. I'm rebuilding a 48 Willys.

Thanks,
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    -deciphering on-
    rowdy_rita bought all new parts and got everything installed except the belts.
    She [I suppose] could not make out anything from the instructions, which were too fine a print, and was wondering if anyone have a more legible instructions to install the belts.

-deciphering off-

-Dave
    I just went to buy a oil filter for my 2.5i outback from a dealer 'away from home' (it was on my travel route). He told me that the larger filter was just recalled by Subie and all that is available is that small filter which is normally used for the turbo version.

What I want to know is:
    1- is this true?
    2- What is the downside of using this itty-bitty filter instead of the standard 'man sized' one?

thanks
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I can try to answer part of the question. There apparently were some issues with the O ring gasket on some filters that could lead to leaks. I am not sure the filters were actually recalled, but SOA did make dealers aware of the potential issue. There is a discussion on this topic over at the legacygt site.
  • harpster21harpster21 Member Posts: 2
    i've got two things i need help with in regards to my newly acquired 1998 subaru legacy outback.

i want get a cd player. i currently have the factory tape/am-fm-weatherband radio made by panasonic installed. there is a 13 prong connector on the back of it. will that unit support a cd changer. if so, how can i figure out what CD changers it will support? will it support the clarion 6-cd changer that was made for subaru's from 1998-2001? if i want to stay with the factory look do i need to buy the CD/tape/am-fm-weatherband radio which was an option for that year?

2. my dash lights on the right side (cruise control, hazard, climate controls) aren't illuminating. the lights on the left side seem to be ok. i checked both fuse boxes. there are no broken fuses. any idea's?
  • tavaratavara Member Posts: 1
    When I had 16K miles on my 2002 outback wagon, I began to smell coolant, but could not detect a leak. The coolant was vaporizing on the engine block. The casue was a blown head gasket, covered under the 60,000 drive taian warranty.,
    I destroyed one of my Potenzas. Car has 23,000 miles.
    I want to replace the two front with Yokohamas from TireRack.
    Sears won't replace one or two tires on the OB unless they are all exactly same tire.
    Does it matter as long as they are all within the same diameter/tread wear?
    The Potenzas are lousy in the snow and I'm not getting them again.
    For the sake of grip, I would replace all 4. I really cannot comment beyond that.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Who would have thought I would have to pay $500 for hitting a curb?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Read your owner manual :P

Since the old tires have a good amount of miles on 'em, the tread will be lower and the overall diameter of the tire will be less than an equivalent sized new tire. Sears probably doesn't shave tires, so they're correct in saying NO to you.

If you can find a place that'll shave the new tires to the same tread depth or overall tire diameter of the old tires, you *could* get the new tires. But, since you already dislike the Potenza's, just opt for new tires now and be safer.

-Brian
  • thomps13thomps13 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find the problem to your P0122 error code? I just started to experience the car jerking me around and the P0122 code appeared.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    P0122 = Throttle position sensor circuit low input

If the ECM does not know how much the throttle plate is open, determining the correct amt of fuel, ignition timing, etc., gets very dicy.

Steve
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    (Will you be making a special chat appearance tonight Steve? :P )

Be sure to join the Eagle One team in a live chat event tonight to find out how nanotechnology is changing the future in car appearance products.

The chat gets underway at 9PM ET/6PM PT.

There's also going to be a special offer available only to those attending the chat, so don't miss this one.

Eagle One Team Chat

Hope to see you there!
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Wow, a personalized invitation from our gracious host! Gee, I have FIB'ed carbon nanotubes. Bet in the right suspension, they would make a very controlled micro abrasive. (Note to self - submit patent app for new polishing compound formula.)

Maybe.... taking the family out for dinner tonight.

Steve
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I replaced tires on my 2.5 outback a few months ago. Had 27,000 miles on Potenza's. They looked ok but figured they would not serve me well for the entire winter. Bought the Goodyear triple treads which are fine, except that my gas mileage has dropped 7 or 8 %, and it is not my imagination. Anyone else out there had a similar experience?

Also, and this has nothing to do with my outback, but doing my Federal Taxes, some of you may know for business miles the rate was something like 40.5 cents for first 8 months last year, then up to 47 or 48 cents for last three months. Now I hear it is back down again. At any rate, any opinions on the average fuel price, per gallon, here in the Northeast for the entire year? I was guessing somewhere around $2.30 or $2.40. Any and all comments would be appreciated.
    Re: tires and mpg:
    1 - Check the pressure, low pressure can cost gas.
    2 - When did you get the new tires? Winter gas blends (oxygenated) usually get less mpg then straigh gasoline, and many people, including myself, have noticed a drop of MPG after the Katrena huricane, some have speculated that in order to get things going again 'low quality' gas was made, just to get volumne.

My area does not use oxygenated gas, but before the huricane I would get about 27-28 mpg, but with some very careful driving, highway only I could manage 30 mpg, after the huricane I was luckly to hit 27 at all, just recently I am back in the 27-28 mpg range.

3 - On my former car (FWD) I would get 25-26 mpg with the standard tires, but when I put on snowtires on the front only it fell to 23-24, so tires can make a difference.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I am aware that gas formulation can change during the winter months (live near Providence, RI) plus cold weather, in an of itself, can have a negative effect on gas mileage, but the drop in gas mileage was immediate after I put on the tires. I make the same trip every few weeks, Prov RI to Montreal, same roads, same road conditions, little traffic, etc., and the weather for many of these trips has not been very cold; I have complained to Goodyear & some have admitted that the particular tire I have, Assurance Triple Tread has a very aggressive tread design & can have an adverse effect on gas mileage. Probably a great tire for winter driving, but haven't really had much bad weather to test it in
  • nodiseosnodiseos Member Posts: 2
    Does nyone know ifthe stereo in the 2006 outbacks has an aux in in the back? I want to connect sat radio and an ipod without using the problematic and inferior sounding FM modulator solution. Suggestions?
    I don't know, I have a 05 OB, and don't know if it does either, but if it does I see no way of selecting 'aux' on the front.

How do these rear 'aux' ports work, does it just detect sound comming from it and then switch to aux mode automatically, or is there some switch marked aux on the front so you can switch it manually?
    I imagine you are correct on that. The weather has continued to get colder since putting mine on in late November, but with the -30 down to -50 temps of the past 2 weeks, I have been getting no BETTER than 15 mpg on the same drives I once averaged 23 (during summer, not winter!). 15 is by far the lowest I have ever seen - previous winter driving in these temps would be at around 16+. Winter always drops my MPG to below 20, but e-gads. Since the head gasket replacement in September, I am lucky if I can get a tank of fuel to average better than 20. The overall average since September is probably at about 18, but I would have to add up gallons/miles to be sure.

On the flip side, these tires have great forward traction compared to any tire I have had on the car in the past. Good stopping traction, excellent acceleration traction and steering control. If I was on primarily dry or wet roads, I would have gone with the GY Allegras (at nearly half the price!) I had on it the last time.

I will chime in again after spring arrives.... in a few months!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Unfortunately, Subaru doesn't offer a simple way to connect another audio device in.

The best I've seen so far is from the user "jazzymt". He sells it off another forum, and I think rules here don't permit us to post a link to it. But you can find more information by Googling for "jazzymt plug and play".

His solution has been proven to work by many satisifed customers. He taps into the CD audio. It's somewhat awkward because you have to play a blank CD (which he gives you), and the headphone input from your source is just "superimposed". Buyers have said it's much better-sounding than an FM modulator solution.

I haven't bought it yet but I plan to. He includes detailed instructions on installing it. Works on 2005/2006 Outbacks with the 6-CD changer and, with some caveats, on single-CD units too.

Unfortunately, Subaru's audio head unit shares a circuit board with the climate control system so adding an aux-in is not that simple. Thus you don't see solutions from vendors like Blitzsafe. Pity.

jazzymt's solution is ingenious and he deserves a a huge amount of praise from the Outback community. It starts at just $45.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Does nyone know ifthe stereo in the 2006 outbacks has an aux in in the back? I want to connect sat radio and an ipod without using the problematic and inferior sounding FM modulator solution. Suggestions?
    This is endlessly discussed on subaruoutback and legacygt.
    Jazzy has a description on legacygt.
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    After 2+ yrs and a number of visits to the dealership they finally agreed to order the oversized replacement pistons for my wife's 03 OBW. The car currently has 38k on it, and the slap's been getting steadily louder since about 6k.

It was so bad a couple of weeks ago I thought we'd lost the oil.

I worked hard to maintain the civility of my relationship with the dealership while this has been going on since they also service my 04 FXT. Maybe they're doing it just to shut me up :D .

My point with this post - a thank-you to everyone who has posted about piston slap, what it should and shouldn't sound like, and the various methods they employed to get their problems resolved.

Now to keep my fingers crossed that the repair goes well.

Larry
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Larry,

That's great news. I'm curious as to how they fix the piston slap now. Back when I had it on my 98 Forester, all they did was replace the stock pistons with ones that had longer sleeves. However, it was my understanding that Subaru eventually moved to this design in all their engines.

Also, will the dealer replace the short block too? If it is at all possible, I'd have them replace both since you would be putting in brand new pistons in a block with 38K miles. I'd wonder how well the piston rings will break-in and seal in this situation.

Ken
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    I'm glad they took care of you . I Had the replacement piston installed on my 02 outback with 48k miles .I have a 02 base outback wagon. I had the slap from 6k miles .My slap was so bad that I was afraid to drive the car . It knocked all the time even at operating temps. I was able to see my engine apart and was very suprised at how little wear there was. The only wear they found was on the piston by the wrist pin and at that it was only the moly coating that was worn off. the cylinder wall look great with all the hone marks still visable.
    Now the bad news I have the slap noise back not nearly as bad .It only lasts about 3-5mins when engine is cold. I have taken it back to dealer for the noise . They say that SOA will not authorize future repairs because it is a charactaristic of the engine design.
    I have to say that my outback has not burned any oil during its life.I now have 61k miles on it now .

Mike k
    I ended up getting 4 new Yokohamas at an STS dealer in Nassau County. I got them because of all the great reviews on Tirerack dot com. It's funny...on blacktop they are dead quiet...but on asphalt (concrete mix?) they seem louder and rougher than the Potenzas were. The car seems to accelerate a little faster (my imagination?) and economy appears the same although I only put on 120 miles.
    Anyway... having to spend $530 for 4 new tires because I damaged one is not very economical and I probably will not purchase an AWD car next time around. :(
    The manager at STS was suprised I knew this. He said almost everyone who comes in with an AWD vehicle is ignorant of this.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I'm surprised more people don't read the owner's manual so they know what is and is not required.
    Isn't it the same for a FWD or RWD vehicle? If a front tire on a FWD (or a rear tire on a RWD) goes, you should replace both tires on that axle. Though, most just buy 1 tire and rotate a tire forward or back to get a matching set on the driving axle. Won't be able to rotate that new tire to the driving axle later though...

-Brian
    It really isn't as big of a deal w/ with FWD or RWD, this setup can usually compensate for 1 wheel turning faster then the other.
    Whoops, hit post too soon....

That is unless there is a way for the drive wheels to 'lock' together such as posi traction. Subies will lock and unlock wheels as needed and you really want matching tires.
    Just curious if I could use e85 directly in the tank for my 05 OBi, or if not what modification could be made to make it so?
  • rinky45rinky45 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a OBD Scanner for my 95 subrau Legacy. Can you direcet me to wher I can buy one and how much it may cost?
    Rinky45
    I think the OBDII scanners work on '96+ vehicles. Not sure what is available for pre OBDII vehicles. The Mazda boards I follow show that you can have the CEL flash a code to you on pre-96 vehicles.

-Brian
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Which Yokohama tires did you get? I looked up those for the '05 base OBW on Tirerack and was amazed at the cost compared to those that are available for my '96 OBW. I put Aegis Ls4's on about 17 months ago. I asked the Service Manager to get them for me where I have my car serviced and used $100.00 in Subaru Bucks towards the price, which ended up being $247.72 out of pocket for all 4 tires.
  • opeope Member Posts: 4
    The engine of our automatic 2004 Outback w/22K mi. (and has had all scheduled maintenance, etc.) snarls--sort of like a buzzer--inside the engine when shifting from first to second,at around 2000rpm. Doesn't happen on other shifts. Any ideas what might this might be?
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Keep us posted. I believe I am following your footsteps on this one. My wife's 03 OBW with 23k has been getting progressively louder over the winter. It knocks for a good 20 minutes before it seems to start to quiet down. I brought it to the attention of the service department on the last oil change, but they basically blew me off. Good Luck! Rob M.
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    I had the two drive side pistons replaced on my 2001 OB at about 50k miles. It only happened when the engine was cold, but would last about 20 minutes if outside temps were cold too. It has never burned a drop of oil and now with 80k+ on it the noise is coming back. I've learned more about piston slap and I'm not worried about it. Noisy yes, but I guess its not causing any serious wear issues.