Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    I vote for "indifferent" regarding the plugs. I run NGK in mine, as that is the brand specified in the manual ('96 2.5L), but I have always used Champion in my truck, van, lawnmowers, and ATV... and they always run well (as far as the plugs control)! The most important thing is that the plugs are platinum and gapped properly so that you have proper firing temperature and longevity. *shrugs*
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    The neat thing about NGK plugs is that they are pre-gapped!

The last two digits of the p/n is the gap in mm (sans one decimal point).

I check them but I've never had one oos.

Jim
  • philliesfan2philliesfan2 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to all the posters who took some time to write and offer their ideas and wisdom on this.

IT clearly seems to be a risky way to save some money and I've decided to follow the recommendations and get the job done at 105K

Thanks again for your input.
    David
  • nchickadeenchickadee Member Posts: 1
    I just went through the same thing - two sensors were replaced (one in the intake and one in the exhaust manifold)and neither helped the problem, then a vacuum thingy and fuel injector cleaners etc etc. Last week I stalled when decelerating to avoid a deer and of course, things did not go well, especially for the deer. I freaked and finally the dealership got on the ball and contacted Subaru. It apparently was the EGR valve sticking open sometimes but not all the time which explains the intermittent problems. They are fixing it as we speak and hopefully that will be it.
  • rswailsrswails Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 LLBean OBW with a factory installed rear spoiler. It now sounds like there are rocks rolling around inside which can be heard going around corners or when the rear gate is lifted and lower. The spoiler is tightly attached, the noise is coming from inside the spoiler.

Any thoughts?
  • logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    Today I was driving behind a Subaru Legacy sedan with dual exhaust. Thought that it might have been the turbo model, but there was no air scoop on the hood. What was I seeing?
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    All the 2007 Legacy sedans and wagons have dual exhausts, even the base non-turbos.

The base non-turbo also has a speedo that goes to 160.

I don't ask questions, I just drive it.
  • logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    I wonder why, since the Forester, which has the same engine, has only one exhaust. I would think that the dual exhaust might improve horsepower, if only slightly, but I think that all of the 4 cylinder Subaru's are rated at 173hp.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    The dual exhaust is there more for appearance than actual performance gains. The WRX STi uses a single exhaust but makes more HP than the Legacy GT or OBXT with a dual exhaust.

Typically, the exhaust is not the limiting factor in power, especially with naturally aspirated engines. In fact, NA engines can lose power when there isn't enough backpressure from the exhaust.

Ken
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Is it cold there? Probably water which turned to ice. I had the spoiler added to my wife's 03 Outback, this happens every winter. Rob M.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    The Legacy does have two more horsepower than the Forester -- 175 to 173. I have the PZEV version that's sold in California and NY (and their border states). I've heard conflicting information about the 2007 PZEV engine: some say it's the same # of horses, some say less.

I think the main rationale dual exhaust is primarily appearance/sound, as Ken alluded. My salesman said Subaru aggressively tuned the exhaust for 2007, and it is a lot throatier than my 04 Forester was.

But perhaps Subaru also figured there'd be some sort of cost benefit to having dual exhausts across the line (all the 07 Outbacks have dual exhausts, too)? That seems counterintuituve since it would use up more raw materials for the parts, but maybe there's a savings somewhere in the assembly/tooling process?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's only Dual Tips really.

If you look closely, it's single until it gets past the rear axle, then it Ys into the two sides. Same is the case with the Acura MDX and most other vehicles with "dual" exhausts.

99% cosmetic

-mike
  • bitobito Member Posts: 5
    Hi

I recently traded in my '04 Forester and bought an '07 Outback Wagon (2.5i). The legroom felt a little tight during a 20 minute test drive, but it seemed OK. I then had to take a 2 hour trip. My kness are still mad at me. At least for me, the legroom is very tight for any extended drive.

Does anyone know if there an aftermarket kit to extend your seat's track to give you a couple more inches of legroom? I know there would be a warranty issue, but it would be worth it. Or are there any other suggestions? I think I tried every possible seat and and seat back combination.

Thanks in advance for any help or information.
  • njjulianonjjuliano Member Posts: 83
    I noticed that my rear view dimmer only dims the middle part of the rear view. It recently happened, and unless I move at a certain angle, I have a mixture of bright and dimmed lights shined to my eyes. Is this the leak that I have read about? Is there a fix where I can jog it about, to reactivate the outer cells back to function?

Its an 02.
  • rswailsrswails Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I arrived at the same conclusion. The rattle seems to stop when the temp is above freezing. I can hardly wait for spring.

Any ideas on how to get the water out?
  • mouseceomouseceo Member Posts: 2
    Hi Dear Friends,

First time post here because I just bought my first Subaru yesterday. It is a new 2007 Outback 2.5i Basic. I hoped it's going to be a fun ride but not 100% sure now :(

Today after my wife drove the car for her work, I noticed there're several fresh drops of fluid at where it parked and the drops left a trace showing the car were backed out of the garage. Seems something leaking while the car was parked and was moving. – I am a little freaked since this is just the second day we own this car.

The largest drop is about 2 inches wide and the fluid is in very light red or pink color. I used toll to sip it and smelled it – it has a stink odor. Do you know what it can be? What should I do next?

Thanks a lot for your input.
    Often time the dealer will need to top-off the trans fluid before delivery. Perhaps they spilled some and it's just risidual. Either way I'd have em check it out.

-mike
  • dusanmal1dusanmal1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I drive a lot and hence opt to service the brakes myself... I did it many times (car now has almost 140000 miles) without problems. Today, I replaced front pads. One strange issue I'd like to learn how to solve:
    On the front left brake, the sleave arround the one of the two bolts that hold the caliper (in particular, lower one/one typically taken out to open the caliper for pad replacement) is stuck. Upper one and both on the right side operate properly. There was no problem in removing the bolt and replacing pads. However, I barely closed the caliper back and I am quite sure brake operation will be affected by this...
    I tried to apply pressure on it using small vice and have lightly pounded on it with small wooden mallet. No budge. I am able to move rubber part that surrounds the metal and metal looks good. Shiny, some silicone grease and no rust or damage.
    Somewhat interested in why this have happened... Extremely interested how to repair this issue. What is the proper procedure to get this unstuck?
    Any advice is welcome... :confuse:
  • mouseceomouseceo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Here is the following story - Next day I kept watching the leaking problem and it disappeared. It seems it is ok if the weather is warm or the engine is not cold enough. Then I left the car in the garage overnight. The next day morning, I checked the underneath ground and seemed everything was clean. Then I started the engine. Wula! – The leak re-emerged. It was from a place under the hood and close to the driver side(the steering weel?).

Then I checked the leaking fluid and knew it is power steering fluid. I also opened the hood and saw the power steering fluid reservoir – seems it is a little bit overfilled.

I already talked with the dealer to bring the car in the week after next to get an alignment problem fixed. Should I move the appointment earlier? Is it very big problem for power steering fluid leaking so that it has to be treated ASAP?

Thanks a lot.

Jerry
  • njjulianonjjuliano Member Posts: 83
    How do these TSB's work?

As I continue to research this auto dimming issue, I find that there was a TSB for the mirror from at least 2000.

Do these TSB's apply for replacement, even if the vehicle is outside of warranty? What exactly is the difference between TSBs and recalls, specifically in the repair scenario?

Here is the TSB:
    TSB # 11
    http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do?step=tsb&year=2002&make=Subaru&m- odel=Outback&style=VDC+AWD+4dr+Wagon+%283.0L+6cyl+4A%29&zip=08054&synpartner=edm- unds

One thing, however, is that the TSB states a trouble shooting guide. I searched for the given item number, found no additional information. Does this mean its simply literature? Thanks in advance.
    Well juice, I did not make it to the 0.25 million mark. ~220,640 at the time of its demise:

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Whoa! What happened??? Anyone hurt?

Bob
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    And what is that piercing the driver side of the windshield? Looks like a nose dive then flip and roll?

-Brian
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    So sorry to see the above, one less fellow '96 on the road. Just hope everyone is okay. I could pickup the '96 milage mantle but my OBW only has 89,000 miles. I am sure there are others out there with more. I will still be addressing questions to you knowing you had been there before me.
  • mitzimitzi Member Posts: 2
    My brother just replaced the engine on our 99 subaru outback with a newer engine. The newer installed engine ran fine previously. He has been working on cars for years and has never run in to this problem.
    The problem is, it will crank, but won't start.
    Does anyone have an idea of what it can be?
    And what is that piercing the driver side of the windshield?

Ah, that is just all the pieces of the front bumper assembly that were picked up from the scene.... seemed a convenient place to put them. :blush:

Basically, another driver forced me off the road, we went down a short embankment where the nose dug in and spun us left, then it rolled over. From the damage, I almost think it did a pirouette about the nose as it came over, but it felt quite "soft" while it was happening. No injuries other than a about a dozen minor cuts to my hands as I exited/navigated the vehicle - my passenger has a small cut on his knee from a zipper on his pants. I was able to get his door open and get him out, so he did not have to crawl through all the glass. Considering the event and the damage to the car, we came out of it as best as possible. For that I am thankful.
    Well, assuming that you did not dig into the newer engine at all (so no question about whether timing is off, etc), it might be a sensor compatibility problem with the 99's ECU. You might consider replacing the timing and knock sensors on the newer engine with the ones that were on the 99's engine.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Considering the event and the damage to the car, we came out of it as best as possible. For that I am thankful

No doubt! Glad you and your passenger are ok, and kudos to the cabin for keeping you safe!

Was the other driver celebrating New Year's while driving?

-Brian
  • subout00subout00 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I have a 2000 Outback Limited and over the last few weeks I have noticed and odd smell-like burning rubber and Cilantro. It appears to be coming from the front passenger side tire area. I had new tires put on a couple of months ago and not sure if this is causing a problem or if it something else. I would appreaciate any info or insight. Thanks.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Wes, glad to hear you and your passenger are safe! Cars can be replaced, but still, it hurts to lose a reliable vehicle.

Is this the one that you replaced the head gaskets on about a year ago?

Jim
    Your front right cv joint/boot/axle. Fairly easy job for a mechanic to replace.

-mike
    Another 96-99 Green wagon rolls....

Ask Hypov about his roll, similar results everyone walked away.

-mike
  • jhurtjhurt Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I hope you can give me some advice on this, I have a 2005 Outback wagon with less than 30k on it and just recently put in a remote starter (not done at a dealership). The tech who installed the starter indicated the one thing to be careful of was that if the heater is on full blast when the engine is started remotely the system will sometimes blow the fuse to save the "blower." Well of course this happened... I think.

When my car is started and the climate control system is activated it works perfectly fine in that I can tell it is on and that I can manipulate the settings. However, I don't get any air/heat because the fan is on to blow heat into the car. The climate control screen show the level it should be blowing at but there is not air being sent into the car.

I'm thinking the fuse on the fan was blown but when I checked the two fuses on the car that indicated "blower" they were both fine. Has anybody ever had this problem or does anyone no if there is another fuse I can check that deals with the climate control system?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Often there is a blower relay. Interestingly though I'd think the climate control would not put the blower on full blast initially, my climate control on my Trooper knew there was no heat in the heater core and would not pump up the fan until the temp rose on the temp gauge.

-mike
  • campagnolo10campagnolo10 Member Posts: 1
    Spent $2k in 70,000 miles on brake work...car driven in very normal fashion...can't keep rotors from warping...all work done at vrs Subaru dealers with oem parts. Dealers suggest being a little easier on the brakes but am very certain car is driven within very normal limits....feeling is that the rotors aren't up to the task

anyone have similar experience or a solution....upgraded rotors? brand? style? (slotted???....drilled???)
  • chelle68chelle68 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2000 Outback wagon. Had the rotors done about 2000(?) miles ago if that long, everything was fine for a little while, and now it's shaking again. I drive normally, don't live in the mountains or anything that should be causing this. The garage said it comes from braking after driving through water (puddles) but we are in a drought so that hasn't happened very much. Wish I had a solution but if anyone does please let us know!
    Also have they lubed/checked the slider pins and/or for a siezed caliper?

-mike
  • fordwrenchfordwrench Member Posts: 70
    Find a repair shop that can cut rotors "on car". I'm a tech in a Ford store & that's all we are permitted to do per Ford. What that does is take care of any runout in the hub and rotor and will fix the warping problem for good.
  • stevenm1stevenm1 Member Posts: 25
    I would suggest you also look at the following:

1) Overheating from driving technique. Cars with automatic tranmissions are especially susceptible since the brakes are the primary way the car is slowed down. Riding the brakes excessively on long downhill stretches would fit into this category.

2) Dragging brakes from stuck caliper pins. Subaru caliper pins can be lubricated; this should be checked to make sure the shop did this.

3) Excessive torgue of wheel lug nuts -- Most garages torque the wheel lug nuts on a Subaru the same amount as they would a Ford F-350.
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    I just purchased a 2007 OB and noticed after driving it home that moisture, a mist, has formed in both front headlights. Think of the mirror in your bathroom after a shower. The mist has been mostly to the side of the center of each headlight although the exact area and size of the water varies. The moisture seems to disappear overnight while the car is parked in the garage. Water doesn't seem to be leaking into the headlights after driving in the rain or washing the car. The Service Manager has seen the moisture and noticed something similar on another 07 in their shop which he looked at while I was there, but had never seen this problem before. He has a call in to Subaru for suggestions, and is wondering where the moisture came from, as am I. I will be calling Subaru myself to start a case to make sure there is a record of this for the future.

Anyone else come across this problem?
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Thinking of buying my first Suburu. Live in Colorado, and am sick of geting high-centered on my old Corolla! Wife likes Outback vs. Forester. Can any of your pros tell me how the Outback does in lots of loose snow (i.e. 12 inches or so)? And I see lots of electrical comments in these forums on Suburus and water/snow. Is there something I need to look for? Finally, any idea what a very good price would be on a 2007 basic? I've been shopping but can't get anything below $20,000 before taxes and title. Thank you!
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Can any of your pros tell me how the Outback does in lots of loose snow (i.e. 12 inches or so)? And I see lots of electrical comments in these forums on Suburus and water/snow. Is there something I need to look for?
    There are scattered problems on the 05+ but on the whole they are quite reliable.

The stock tires on the 05 and 06 OB's (Bridgestone Potenza RE92A's) were poor in rain and very poor in snow. I understand the 07's have a different tire but it's likely to be a similar OEM A/S. With the right tires an OB can easily "plow" 12 of light snow. In fact while the official ground clearance is 8.4" the actual clearance down most of the center is closer to 10".

Does the basic include the Limited Slip Differential on the rear axle like other Outbacks?
    Does the basic include the Limited Slip Differential on the rear axle like other Outbacks?

It does. That was one of the "musts" I checked before deciding on that trim level. :D
  • 280abbylynn280abbylynn Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying my wife a new Outback 2.5XT wagon, I heard that the 08's will have some suspension changes and a few small body changes. This is our first ever Subaru so we are not certain what to do. I hear the changes will make for a smoother ride! Oh also can anyone tell me how soon the dealers will take orders for the 08's? we live in Central Florida. Thanks.....
    Like he said 12" of light fluffy stuff is fine, dense slushy, packed heavy stuff, and you'll spin all 4 of the wheels as you'll essentially be high centered, same goes for just about any other vehicle. snow tires can help though.

-mike
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Thanks. So would you recommend an Outback over a small to midsized SUV in snow?
    It's going to be the same as just about any SUV in the snow IMHO. The keys for snow traction are ground clearance and tires. With tires being the more important one. Get a good set of snows on an OB and it'll do just as well as most SUVs in most situations.

-mike
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Thanks. So would you recommend an Outback over a small to midsized SUV in snow?
    Well, I've owned three, so yeah.
    Me too. Really, the only thing being given up by choosing an Outback over a small/midsize SUV is seating height. In place of that, though, one gains easier access to the top of the vehicle (very important for me, as I frequently use my roof rack), lower center of gravity, a better AWD system, and the Outback has more floor space in the cargo area than many small SUVs, even if the total cubic space is similar or even less.
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    With a set of 4 good snow tires the OBW will go through 12+" of loose snow (I use Bridgstone Blizzaks on a set of dedicated wheels). Have plowed through 22" of fresh snow with no problems (had to clean the snow out of the lower grill opening when I stopped ;-) :P

MNSteve