Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I think the problem may be that you had it on recirculate for too long in traffic? It's fairly common for the condensor which is in front of the passengers feet area to freeze up during bumper to bumper traffic in very hot weather. This also sometimes causes you to not get very cold air out of the vents either. Next time it happens try switching from recirc to non-recirc and/or move the temp to a warmer setting.

-mike
  • khallockkhallock Member Posts: 63
    Mike, No I don't think so because when we usually notice this it is when we are driving on the highway with no traffic. Also I live in Vermont and I dont hit much bumper-to-bumper traffic up here! :)
    Hmm, ok not that then. It's definitely an easy fix for sure, this isn't rocket science. What part of VT? I may be moving up to Rutland/Manchester for work shortly and know about 3 people in VT.

-mike
  • khallockkhallock Member Posts: 63
    I live right outside of Burlington, so further north. It seems like it would be an easy fix to me too, not sure what they are dragging their feet about.
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Member Posts: 2
    Just got a new (to us) 2005 Legacy wagon; it's fine when it's running, but after I turn the ignition on but one click before starting the engine (so the dashboard's lit up), there's a strange buzzing noise coming from somewhere towards the back of the engine bay. (not sure where, sorry; standing in front of the car with the hood open, it's about a foot from the back of the engine bay, somewhere below the top, but it's hard to place exactly because of the type of sound).

For want of any better description, it sounds like it's picking up radio interference, or a ground hum on a speaker, or something along those lines, rather than a rattle. I had it checked out by a garage before buying it and they didn't mention anything, so I'm assuming it's nothing to worry about, but does anyone know what this could be?

thanks,

-- dan
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Sounds like the fuel pump priming the lines - normal. Most people don't hear it since they just turn the key and start the engine. Your engine may start a tad quicker by letting the fuel pump do its thing and then starting.

-Brian
    It may be the fuel lines priming, but the fuel pump itself is actually in the back in the tank, not under the hood. Could be any relay though as there are tons of them that go on when you put the car in the on position.

-mike
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Hello all. I have a 2005 Legacy GT and I am having problems with the power driver's window. Sometimes it won't go down. After swearing for a few minutes or baning the door shut it usually works. Anyone know anything about this? Was about to take it to the dealer but it fixed itself.

Also, does anyone's ac vent (on the driver's side dash) rattle?
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Member Posts: 2
    So if it was a relay that was buzzing, what would that tell me? Okay, something to do with the electrics, and without knowing which relay it's impossible to say much of anything useful, I know -- but in general, does buzzing mean "going to go wrong soon", or just "making an annoying sound"?

It doesn't seem to stop even if I wait a while, if that helps to narrow things down at all?

-- dan
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    My 02 Outback has 110K miles. My indy wrench tried fixing the tranny fluid leak twice in the past couple of weeks and it's still leaking. There is often a blotch about the size of a silver dollar. I'm getting frustrated. I just had extensive routine maintenance and was hoping to get 200K out of this car. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • stevenm1stevenm1 Member Posts: 25
    My 98 Legacy made the same kind of noise coming from the back of the engine. I replaced the starter solenoid, and it quit. Our 95 Impreza had a similar problem, and I let it go on for quite a while. Eventually, it got worse and worse until the starter wouldn't work. Your Subaru is quite a bit newer, and it may not be the same problem. Both of mine are older with high mileage (204K and 140K).
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    Hi,
    I've got a 2007 legacy wagon with the touring package (I'm in Canada).
    I need help with two things:
    When my sunroof is closed and the shade is closed, it sqeaks like crazy as I drive along. It's starting to drive me nuts. Every little bump in the road makes it creak and squeak. Any ideas on how to quiet this down?

The second is a cleaning question. I was cleaning my seats to get a blueberry stain out from my kids, and I was using turtle wax upholstery cleaner. It seemed safe in the little test section I did: apply, scrub, let dry and vacuum, but now it's left big stain marks or stain outlines on the seat center sections. I have the black interior with the greyish, tweedy center sections. Any suggestions how to clean this properly and what to use? It's a lease, so I've got to solve this problem.
    Otherwise, I love the car. They fixed all the little things I didn't like in the previous 2003 we had. This one is very nice.
    Thanks,
    cdn driver
  • shrinermonkeyshrinermonkey Member Posts: 58
    I had the exact same problem with my sunroof creaking. I thought it was the shade but I had the dealer look at it and they lubed the sunroof track and that seemed to take care of it.

As for the upholstery- try a detail shop, they will have a steam or warm water extractor that should get out the stain.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Regarding upholstery, I was going to make the same suggestion - detailing it should remove the outlined stains. I noticed on my '07 that the center sections of the seats were quite prone to the water stain "outline." I sat a bottle of ice water on the seat and it left a stain just from the condensation dripping off it! :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ncc4ncc4 Member Posts: 16
    I have an 07 Outback and I reduced the sun roof squeak by getting a small rag wet with silicon spray, then opening the sunroof and wiping all the visible weather stripping around the glass panels with this. Took a couple of applications, but seemed to help.
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    thanks for the tips. I 'll see about the spray for the track. I thought some kind of dry grease or teflon lube like I use on my bike might help. I'll see.
    As for the stains, I'll look for a detailer, but I'd like to find something to take care of it myself so I don't have to pay the detailers. It adds up.
    thanks,
    cdndriver
    Well, if that fails, then take it to a detailer a couple days before turning it in at the conclusion of the lease. Water stains will wait if they do not bother you too much.... ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • toofastdadtoofastdad Member Posts: 4
    We recently purchased a used 2001 Outback VDC with 55,000km on it. It is in mint condition, and handles really well. However, we noticed when we went to drive off the other morning after a small rain fall that there was a significant amount of water sloshing in the roof. After driving a block the sound had gone. There isn't any sign of water damage anywhere. We parked the car for an hour or so the other night—there was a light rain shower. When we drove off there was a little water noise in the roof.

Last night we drove from Freeport Maine to Halifax, Nova Scotia in torrential rain, the car handled incredibly well under the adverse conditions, the dual moonroof's were visible, but closed, and they do not leak. After the drive water was not sloshing in the roof, it only seems to occur when the car is parked

My questions are:
    Where is the water entering?
    Is this normal?
    Could the water be entering though the roof rails?

Any comments or advise would be nice.

Thanks...Colin
    My guess would be the roof rails or the drains around the moonroof are not draining properly.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Clogged moonroof drain is what I thought, too. I would try to find it before the water finds an alternate route...to your nice interior!
    When I drive off the water drains, I have seen drips coming from under the rear bumper. If the drains are clogged how can I unclog them? Where do you locate the drains?

Thanks...Colin
    Hmm, I don't have one so I'm no help.

What if you parked at a sharp incline, to drain it. Wonder if you could maybe rinse it or something. That might clog it further, though.
  • eskeresker Member Posts: 5
    I have a similar problem in my 99 Outback. Starting out slow in a tight turn. Some said CV joints, but it is not a clicking, it is a thunking. Getting worse by the week. What was the outcome? Any other suggestions?
    I'd say CV, Wheel Bearing or tie-rod ends.

-mike
    The drains aren't in the rear bumper. They would be behind the front wheels. The drains generally go down the A-pillar forward.

-mike
    Thunking. Sounds to me like the drive shaft bearing. Can you feel it a little as well? Does it go away as soon as you let off the gas or finish your turn?
  • annie4annie4 Member Posts: 6
    Yesterday my 2002 Outback with 40,000 miles on it stalled when I slowed down at an intersection. It started up immediately, then stalled again. Smoke began pouring out of the engine. I did a quick U-turn and within 30 seconds had the car off the road and turned off. I don't have the final damage estimate yet, but a trusted independent dealer said that it overheated, the radiator was cracked with a hole blown out at the top, under the cap, there was a bad head gasket, and the motor head warped. He saw it as an internal engine issue. It is at Subaru now, and I'm nervous after reading all the bad press about the HG problems. I bought the car used, two years ago, at 15,000, from the same dealership. I told them I was shocked. We'll see. Any advice? No previous problems and I just had it tuned up a month ago.
    Annie4
    Sounds like classic head gasket failure.

Work with the dealer first. It's important to be friendly to them. Call 800-SUBARU3 if you feel like they're not as helpful as you'd like. Open up a case number and all.

Some 2002s were covered by the extended warranty on the gaskets, as long as a coolant conditioner was added.

Since you bought the car used, the dealer should have added that before you took delivery. Let's keep our fingers crossed, but it sounds like yours will be covered.
    I poured water in different areas on the roof, I was able to isolate the area. It is the roof rail—the front attachment. Do you have any ideas on how to rectify this?

I also notice, the front moon roof on the inside has some flaking rust, how does one take off the moon roof to fix this.

Thanks for your help...Colin
  • truckkillertruckkiller Member Posts: 4
    My 02 outback has 84000 miles. It started to run very rough. then a week later the check engine light came on. trouble shot the code p0172. checked fuel pressure it is a little out of specifications but if i idle it up to where it should be pressures are good. what I am trying to find out is where do I go from here. I am wondering about the front o2 sensor, but there is not a code kicked for it yet. any ideas?
    Hi, Ateixeria,
    You're right, but what I'd forgotten is I'd bought the $1,000 extended warranty, so it is costing me $50. I usually don't buy those kinds of things but I am so glad I did! Another question, though. I paid $400 to have a new radiator installed by the initial garage, before we knew how serious it was. Subaru has indicated they won't pay for that, but is an extended warranty ONLY if the car is serviced by Subaru? I'd love some clarification, as I'd love to get that $400 back.
    Thanks,
    Annie4
    Play up the part that you were stuck out in the middle of nowhere and needed the radiator fixed. They might spring for some of it but technically yeah you need to have it serviced by Subaru for them to cover it.

-mike
    Code means the Air/Fuel ratio is too rich.

Haven't seen that one before, though, sorry.
    Yeah, gotta agree with mike.

Your warranty even includes Roadside Assistance, so their response would be "why didn't you have it towed to the closest dealer since that would have been free?"

Call, though, and be real nice about it, tell them you have receipts and thought it was necessary.

From Subaru's perspective, though, the radiator may not have been bad in the first place.
    Thanks, Mike,
    I talked with them today and they are willing to review it, but I was within 75 miles of a Subaru dealer. I just hope they can figure out what happened and that nothing else goes wrong! Thanks for all your help.
    Annie4
  • 20llbean20llbean Member Posts: 83
    Greetings, it has been a long time since I been on the board. But hopefully the board can help withthe following questions:
    1. When should the timing chain on the 3.0L Outbacks get changed? My outback has 102K on it now.

2. This is a problem that I encountered tonight> Son was parking the car in the garage and he accidently turn the car off in drive. After putting the car in park, he attempted to start it and it will crank but not start. Several more trys were not successful. I disconnected the battery to clear any potential faults in the OBDC, no success. I cI disconnected the fuel line to the filter and pressed on the accelerator but no fuel squirted out so I assume the fuel pump may have been damaged by this incorrect turn off. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Timing Chain IIRC never needs replacement.

That's odd, doubt it's the fuel-pump. But it's possible. If it were the shift interlock, I think it would not crank.

-mike
  • 20llbean20llbean Member Posts: 83
    Thaks, Mike.

Car is at the dealer right now (towed last night), no problems as yet found. Odd thing is, it has been running great till this happened.
    That's the nice thing about a chain vs. a belt!

I do think it's supposed to be inspected at some point.
  • eskeresker Member Posts: 5
    I can feel the thunking good. It stops when I finish the turn, but not when I let off the gas. In fact it is just as bad when I am coasting in a tight turn. Thanks for you help.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    My Contour and my Accord both rejected the Bosch plugs. The Contour ended up with the OEM double platinum Autolites and the Honda got NGKs.
  • goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    My 2000 OB driver window packed up. A new motor was about $360 so I got a used one. After replacement, a tricky, PITA process which requires removal of the window glass, I dissected the dead motor and found a broken connection to one of the motor brushes (poor manufacturing). A 10c part probably, but unobtainable. I soldered it and now have a spare motor. The motor itself and the gears seem robust. So you may have the same issue or it may be a faulty switch or connection between the switch and the motor.
  • mbunchmbunch Member Posts: 1
    I had the same experience on my 2000 Outback Ltd. - I hope my findings are not yours....water sloshing when I first startup and drive was ultimately an internally leaking head gasket, please let me explain....
    Coolant leaks through head gasket (primarily at cyl. 4)
    Air from cylinder exchanges and becomes trapped at highest point in heater core.
    When you first drive the vehicle T-stat opens and forces coolant through the heater core causing a cavitation sound that you just know is water on the roof (I know this is bizarre)
    This is the QUICK CHECK, with engine cool, radiator cap off, start the engine and let it warm to operating temperature, when it heats up enough, the Thermostat will open, if it is this head gasket you will see air bubbles one after the other come the surface.
    This is another QUICK CHECK, pull the cap off of the coolant overflow container when HOT and watch for air bubbles coming from the tube in bottom.

This problem gets worse.....Check Engine light will eventually show a misfire because when your parked the cylinder fills with coolant, rough idle for a few seconds just after start - or O2 sensor failure because this misfire causes o2 levels to become out of spec.
    please let me know if your problem is resolved..
    Again, I hope this is not it, but if you would like to know how that I went Round and Round with Subaru and this problem Email mglobna@hotmail.com
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "The drains aren't in the rear bumper. They would be behind the front wheels. The drains generally go down the A-pillar forward."

The sunroof gutter has a drain tube at each corner. The rear corner drain tubes go the the rear. If water is heard sloshing in the sunroof system when the car first moves after a heavy rain, it would be water in the gutter. The fact that the water has not entered the interior, and has been seen dripping from under the rear of the car, indicates that the water has gone down at least the rear tubes, and no doubt the front tubes, too.
  • nero1nero1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in how you made out getting the head gasket repaired. My 2001 Outback is in the shop now for the same problem. I'm wondering if now's the time to look for another car, or if this will be the worst of it. Once a mecahnic drops an engine, it's usually all down hill from there.
  • nero1nero1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in how anyone made out getting the head gasket repaired. My 2001 Outback is in the shop now for the coolant leak, engine misfires and rough idling. I'm wondering if now's the time to look for another car, or if this will be the worst of it.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    The head gaskets on my 2001 Legacy were changed in Feb 2006 at ~110k miles. It's been fine since.

I still liked the car and it's cheaper to repair than to pay 10x more for a new car.

Even though I've had more problems with my Subie than other cars, Subaru would still be high on my list when replacement time comes.

My $0.02.

Jim
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    The last week or so in my 2005 Outback 3.0, I've heard 'water rushing' sounds coming from somewhere up front. Almost as if water is rushing & sloshing on the other side of the steering wheel. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but I hear it more when I turn the wheel to pull out of my parking space. However several minutes into my morning commute, it's gone.

Does this sound like a serious issue? Other than that, there is nothing wrong that I can tell.
    Check your coolant a lot of times I have heard this in vehicals with low coolant. Its from air getting into the heater core I believe.
    I have not had head gasket issues yet (knock on wood)but saw the dealer put some of this additive in a subaru and the stopped leaking almost immeadatly. I probably would have never believed it being a heavy truck mechanic my self had I not seen it with my oun eyes. I would see if someone would ship you some from the states. Or buy some over the internet.