Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• lilienfieldlilienfield Member Posts: 2
    I am considering two different subaru's. The first is a '98 outback limited - a local, great subaru mechanic just put in a new reconditioned engine. It also has all new belts, fluids and just had a major service. The car has 150,000 miles

The other is an '00 impezza sport outback and is $1000 more, has 76,490 miles on it and has had no major repairs.

Any thoughts on which may be more reliable?

Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's hard to say---they are both used cars.

I can say though that the Outback is a lot more useful (bigger), so if carrying capacity is a consideration, your choice is clear.

If the Outback has an automatic trans with 150K on it, that's not so good.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What model year was the donor car for that engine?

Both are pre-2002, when Subaru finally sorted out the gaskets.

I think I'd search for a higher mileage 2002 Outback Sport, or a 2003+ Legacy/Outback.

2003 and later Imprezas have the sturdier wheel bearings as well.
  • lilienfieldlilienfield Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what year the donor engine is, but it has approx. 40k on it.

I am now also worried about the pre 2002 automatic transmissions.

I guess looking for a more recent Subaru is the best option - or go with Toyota.

Thanks again.
    The auto trannies are usually pretty good, not a big concern really.

Look out for Toyota 6 speed autos and the 3.0l V6 sludge issue, otherwise Yotas are good.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    except for my 06 Siennas tranny which went at 40K as opposed to half a million miles on various subies with no tranny failures or problems except one fluid leak
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Then there's always my 06 3.0 5 speed tranny that went out at 30K.
  • mwilson5mwilson5 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry it has taken a few days to get back to this.Life and kids.....I have preformed a compression test and got 190 lbs on all 4 cyl. all 4 plugs look great. I preformed a vacume test and the results are as follows.
    At idle 20 hg and steady
    At 2000rpm 22 hg and steady
    Snap test it goes from 20 to 0 to 25 and back to 20hg in a smooth manner.
    I have put a few hundred miles on it over the past week. and nothing has changed. If I clear the codes and keep it under 3000 rpms it will not trigger the check engine light. With in a min. of going over 3000 rpms it will turn on the check light and show a code p0304. Clear it and go keep it under 3000 rpm no light but go over 3000rpms and the light comes on.... I am trying to get a bore a scope for the fun of it. Not expecting to find anything in the cyl. with a comp of 190lbs...Still have the rattle noise when cold do Subarus sound like a bug motor?????when cold.

My friend suggest the easy way out. use the volume control to fix rattle and a small piece of electrical tape to fix the light......
  • subout2000subout2000 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone describe how to replace a rear stabilizer link on a 2000 outback? I'm not much of a mechanic but would like to do this myself if possible.

Thanks
  • dakotadriverdakotadriver Member Posts: 29
    I do not understand how someone could mistake a heat shield for a wheel bearing or an ABS bolt. I do not claim to be an expert, but I have a 2001 Outback and the heat shield starting making noise last year. You can stick your head under the car and see the heat shield and check to see if it is loose. Did your mechanic take it for a test drive as part of the diagnosis? Although I cannot say for certain, it sounds like you are getting charged for a lot of work when it (perhaps) shouldn't be that difficult to figure out.

A lot of mechanics will simply remove the heat shield to stop the noise (although do not park it on a big pile of leaves or take it off road if you do so since the heat could ignite dry foilage), but I imagine there are a lot of other options to make the noise stop (I am going to look into misc. things this year once it warms up). Is it worse when you put in in gear (my heat shield makes virtually no noise until I put it in gear).

Also, my 2.5 has noticeable lifter noise. I've been told that this is somewhat normal for this engine (worse when cold) but that should be pretty easy to diagnose also. It doesn't bother me since it is not so loud as to be annoying. Once again, if this was the problem, that is also relatively easy to diagnose.

I would look at the heat shield myself and see if it was loose anywhere (look for metal sheet covering parts of the exhaust underneath the car). If not, it could be something else. Good luck.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    I'm also not a mechanic, but doesn't every mechanic know that subarus are famous for loose heat shields - that should have been checked first (and just removed). Its about the right age for it. A really noisy heat shield could probably mask some other sounds, but I would expect a decent mechanic to diagnose thoroughly before doing repairs.

Used subaru buyers would be wise to look for those with loose heat shields and negotiate much lower prices due to the "scary" noises (yes, I have done this)...
  • loiseerloiseer Member Posts: 1
    2004 Subaru Outback 4 cyl All Wheel Drive 70,000 miles

I took my Subaru to have the oil changed last week. I drove it away just about 3 miles, heard an odd noise and pulled over. I checked the dipstick - no oil! Had it towed back. The oil change shop guys admit they failed to put new oil in - about 1 cup drained out of the engine back at the shop. Their insurance is paying for repair.

Car is now at a Subaru dealer service department. The technician there says only the right side of the engine lost compression,cracked the head, and threw a rod. They are doing extensive work on that side - about $2000. However, he says the other side has compression in the normal range so it was not damaged. However, the oil pump seal and o-ring and the cam seals are leaking oil, and the head gasket is leaking coolant. These, he says, are NOT from the "dry run", so I can "choose" have them fixed - about $800.

This car was not leaking anything. I have had the maintenance work all done at the same shop here in my hometown, and their records show no incidence of low oil or coolant since I bought the car 3 years ago. There are no spots on my driveway or garage. Is it feasible that the 3 places on left side of my engine spontaneously started leaking without connection to the serious damage sustained on the right?

This is not making sense to me. I'm concerned that this is in fact damage already - and that more will show up down the road, when I won't be able to get it taken care of by the insurance. But of course, with this recommendation from the service guy, the insurance adjuster is "doing all he can".
    What should I do? :sick:
    Thanks
    Loiseer
    No it doesn't make sense. If it "threw a rod" the engine is toast.

This is between you and the oil change shop.

Don't let them patch up the engine. What does Subaru care how much the oil change company pays? And by what magic do they determine that one side of an engine is damaged by loss of oil but the other side isn't?

SAY WHAT??

Get a lawyer.

Visiting Host
  • dakotadriverdakotadriver Member Posts: 29
    I'm with the other post who said that the whole engine is toast. If the engine overheated at all from driving with no oil then it could have warped something which lead to the coolant leak and the other problems. Talk to another mechanic about what he/she would expect in such a situation, and do not forget that most states have a small claims court in the event hiring a lawyer is cost prohibitive (and bring your witnesses (i.e., the mechanic that is telling you the truth)). Good luck!
    Good suggestion. If Small Claims allows enough to settle for a rebuilt engine, then get the car out of the Subaru dealer and to a Subaru shop that isn't dizzy on exhaust fumes. Get an estimate and present it to the oil change company. It would be great if you didn't have to take any legal action. Treat the oil company fairly and they may respond in kind.

Or, if the Subaru dealer mis-conveyed this information to you, go back and get it spelled out so that it makes some kind of sense.

Despite the TV commercials for snake oil additives, you cannot in fact run an engine without oil for 3 miles at regular traffic speeds without probable and serious damage.

Without a disassembly and inspection, in fact no one knows yet what the actual facts are.
    You mean end link for the anti-sway bar? Probably the same thing.

It just bolts on, nothing special. All you need is your ratchet set and maybe some lithium grease if you're working on the links that have bushings on them (usually the center ones).
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Absolutely. In that situation, I am not even sure why they are monkeying around with repairing the current engine. There is no way one side of the engine would suffer such catastrophic damage while the other side sits pretty.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Hi there - My '00 Outback has "only" 79K miles on it. The age of the car would suggest to replace the timing belt but the mileage would not. Now, with some items, it is probably better to go by age and not by mileage. I would assume that the timing belt is such an item but wanted to hear the opinions of more experience members.

Thanks! MM
    I believe the intervals were 90k for inspection and 105k for replacement.

Even given the age I'm sure you'll be OK until 90k. Then just have it replaced. To inspect it you've done most of the labor anyway.
  • benttoolbenttool Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 with 194k on it and mine is doing the same thing its not in the intake mines all new not the plugs or wires tried that, they are going to replace the MAS tomarow hope it works will let you know its making me crazy no codes at all and runs perfect until it rains! :mad:
    my outback has 194k on it and has been a grate car until now stalls runs bad only when its raining or humid replaced plug,wires,filters ,good fuel presser no loose wires on motor or under car tried to spray with hose on a dry day and couldn't make it do any thing until sprayed motor then it did it but was so wet by now could be any thing. going to try MAS tomorrow if thats not it no idea what to try next.
  • subyobsubyob Member Posts: 4
    Gday - Assuming you have a 2.5 Outback, as the 3 litre engine does not have a timing belt, as far as I'm aware timing belts have always required changing around 100k kilometres which is approx. 65k miles. Given this and the age of the vehicle I would just get the belt replaced as the cost of replacement is far cheaper than risking engine damage due to belt failure. Cheers
  • sk66sk66 Member Posts: 2
    Recently I bought a 2009 Outback 2.5i Special Edition. Consumer Reports calls attention to "major engine" problems in 4 cylinder engines for years preceeding 2005. The car was redesigned in 2005 and subsequently the 4 cyl engine(s) is rated much better than average. Can anyone comment? Does the problem show up after five years (after the warranty expires) or can we assume that the problem has been resolved in 2005
    sk88
    They mean the head gaskets and yeah, that's been solved. Old news. Very old news from CR historical records.

Visiting Host
  • sk66sk66 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm new to the forum and was unaware of problems and developments regarding the 2.5 engine.
    Me too until about 6 months ago when I read up on it. :P But yes, anyone shopping an older Subaru with high miles approaching 120K, that hasn't had head gaskets---watch out......
  • ted55ted55 Member Posts: 11
    This is my last post on this site for my (former) 2000 Outback. Traded her in last weekend for a 2007 Suzuki SX4. Don't get me wrong, I was really sad to see her go but here's what happened in a nutshell: bought her 4 years ago with 54K for $13K. Within 6 months the trans went, had a feud with Subaru NA and got a new trans installed for $1K. Had issues with front brake rotors, replaced them several times. Last year the fuel pump went, replaced that myself also, not too bad, $300. Brought her in for some fluid changes and found out she needed the timing belt job. New belts all around, new tensioner, new water pump, new front wheel bearings, new battery, then soon after the alternator went - $2800. I'm at just about 100K miles on her and a CV boot ripped. Brought her in for the fix ($288) only to be told that my head gaskets are starting to leak and the rear axle seals are leaking also. For a mere $3100, they can fix her like new until something else goes. That was the proverbial straw. The dealer gave me $4K trade in and we parted ways. You can bet your butt I bought the best warranty package Suzuki offered and I love the car. My Subie was slated to be sold at auction, so anyone out there who gets it will get an "almost" perfect car thanks to my piggy bank!
  • rpilrpil Member Posts: 5
    After it's reset, within about 70 miles the CEL goes on the dash of my 2004 Outback Sedan LTD (75k miles). The car continues to run fine, but in addition to the CEL being on, the cruise-control button light continues to flash on and off, whether it is pressed to the "on" position or the "off" position. Once it is all reset, the lights cut off until another 70 miles or so. What should I be checking or replacing? Thanks.

R
    You should have the code read so that you aren't in the dark. That's what the CEL is for---to get you to read the codes.
    Absolutely. Ask around - many people have the code readers, and there are also places (like Auto Zone, if you live near one) that will read the codes for free in the hopes you buy parts from them! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Indeed, could be as as simple as a bad gas cap (not sealing well, so vacuum pressure is lost in the canister). Many parts stores will let you borrow a scanner since they know you'll buy parts there to address whatever issue comes up.

Shifty: agree on the HG issue.

Funny thing is we had 5 supposedly affected Subaru in my family (that's 10 head gaskets for those who are counting, given the H-4 layout) and none of us ever had that problem. Knock on wood.
    I'm at just about 100K miles on her and a CV boot ripped.

All by itself? ;)

Think about it - what caused it to rip? You probably hit a rock or drove over a curb to cause that tear to happen. CV boots don't rip themselves.

That's like saying, "The other day I drove straight in to a tree, BOY these bumpers are so unreliable! Now I need a new one!"

No warranty in the world would cover that, either.

FWIW I had bad luck, too - some rodents (squirrels? chipmunks?) got in my engine bay and chewed up the wiring harness in my brand new Sienna, less than a year old. $700 out of my pocket, not covered under warranty by Toyota.

Better luck with your Zook.
    Regarding CV boots, they either rip or they split. Splitting is due to aging of the rubber (tends to be smooth and on a normal crease/wear point) and tearing is mechanical. If the boot splits at an early age, that could be a warranty issue, but it is highly weather dependent (extreme temp highs and lows, humidity, etc).
    Mileage has a lot to do with it. If those cars were under 100K, it's too early for the problem to show up I think.

Anyway, it can't be more than a 10% failure rate, so your family might not get "decimated".
    something new it runs bad most of the time but still really bad when it rains it wasn't seting any codes before but now get a rich on bank one side of motor. fuel regulator checked out to be good has good compeshion on all cyl's kills at stop signs but will start right back up. runs good at 85 and up but get below 70 and almost stops running then at around 45mph it will kick in and if you keep your foot in the same position will climb back up to 80 or more but let up just a litle and back down to 45 or less. had new timing belt at 125,000 miles and some gaskits now has 194,834 no big problims till now and no one can tell me what it is dealer said it could be any thing and I should bring it in to them so they can start replacing stuff till they find it . NO THANKS thast time I did that It cost me $3800.00
    and is was a bad rear wheel bearing so they replaced them all. they said they would have needed it soon any way. haven't been back there and dout plan on it if at all posible Any oone ever had this problem need it back on road soon thanks
    Whoa. You lost me after "fuel regulator checked out to be good has good compeshion on all cyl's kills at stop signs but will start right back up." I honestly have no idea what you were trying to convey after that.

My two guesses for you: 1. Mass Airflow Sensor needs to be cleaned or replaced. 2. Knock sensor may be acting up.
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    Hi all,
    My front moonroof won't pop open any more (stuck shut), but the back one works fine. Any one have this problem before or have suggestions for a DIY fix? Just want to fix her up before getting the new 2010 Outback.
    Thanks,
    Matt
  • gjksngjksn Member Posts: 35
    I had a similar problem with my 03 Legacy LSE wagon. It was under the original warranty at the time, but the Subaru dealer told me it would have been close to a $2000 repair. The ceiling had to be removed, and it took quite a few hours. My theory is that I tried to open the sunroof at a time when temperatures had caused it to be frozen shut. It may be winter, but I still like ventilating through the roof. Previous sunroofs that I've had, even after-market ones, never had this problem. They just cracked the frozen seal and opened up. The Subaru mechanism is apparently a plastic strip with holes in it, and these holes line up with some kind of a gear mechanism with teeth. The gear turns and pulls this plastic strip, and that's what causes the thing to open. I was told that this is also how power windows work. Ever since, I've always immediately opened the sunroof after a winter car wash so that it won't happen again. Seems like a chintzy mechanism. Sorry that I'm not able to explain this more articulately as a knowledgeable mechanic might.
  • chipinawchipinaw Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at an older Legacy ,( automatic) When I put it in gear the shifting seems to be a little slow. I was told that this is normal for the subaru.Other cars I have driven, you put it into gear and feel...shift...this car I put it into gearand have to step on the gas to feel the shift .Is this normal for an older subaru ( 1999 Legacy)

thank you,

Chipinaw
    No, those '99s seem to have an increased frequency of transmission failures, and the symptoms start with delayed shifting. It has to do with internal seals in the transmission and will only get worse.... :cry:
  • jhogansonjhoganson Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with the window on the driver's side of my 2001 Outback Wagon. Does anybody know how to remove the inside door panel to access the window?
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    Thanks for the insight...that is most likely what happened, asI have been know to open the roof in the winter :D

Plastic gears...grrrr... Anyone replaced this themself before? I can pop open the roof part way, so can probably disconnect roof, but don't want to break anything...

Thx
    Matt
  • txag08txag08 Member Posts: 1
    What eventually happened and did that fix the problem?

I'm having a similar issue. I did not drain the battery, but did leave the overhead lights on overnight. Yesterday (four days later), while I was driving to work, the charge and break warning lights came on. I checked the parking brake, but it wasn't on. I decided to take the car to Autozone to check the battery, but on the way the lights went off, so I just turned around and went back to work. The lights stayed off for several trips and then came back on while I was driving again. They've stayed on, and when I was driving home, sometimes the ABS warning light would come on and then go off and then come on again. Also, the needles on the speedometer and RPM meter would sometimes go haywire waving up and down and the digital odometer would blink. This happened most notably when I turned the blinker on, so I just stopped using it until I got home.

I read in the manual that driving with an insufficient battery voltage can cause the ABS light to come on and that it will go out with the battery is fully charged. So maybe the battery just has a low charge? It's about a year and a half old, but like I said I did leave the overhead lights on. The car still started, though, and the problem didn't happen until four days later. It could be a result of the short shopping trips I made on Wednesday and today, not giving the battery enough time to charge up.

I'm afraid to drive the car now. And I don't want to take the battery out unless I absolutely have to. It's hard to get the wires on the terminals, and they have a corrosion problem, so I've spent a lot of time working on it and I don't want to take that all apart. Further, I don't have the means to do it right now. Car troubles make me sick on the inside, so if anyone has thoughts or insights, I would really appreciate them.

It's a 2000 Outback Wagon, too.
    :cry:
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    I have a 2005 Legacy GT sedan. One of the brake lights is out. Can I change this myself relatively quickly?
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Solved this one myself. The opening designed by Subaru was too small but eventually I just pulled back the felt around the trunk and it isn't hard at all.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    You can but be careful. On my wagon the door inside the trunk lid you remove to get at the light bulb is made out of cardboard. I ripped it while changing a brake light and now have to rely on duct tape.
  • soe7soe7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Outback Wagon which now has about 102,000 miles on it (I've put about 40,000 on it in the last 2.5 years). I still have $4500 left on the loan and have paid $4000 since November in repairs. I've had the head gasket done, replaced the timing belt and others but I think there's more to come. The AC has issues and it's not just low on coolant and I think the transmission may be going as the pick-up seems to be getting worse. My last Subaru was a 1993 and it made it to about 180,000 miles when the transmission finally went. In addition to the upcoming AC repairs and possible transmission issues, the rear wiper stopped working about a year ago and there's a leak one of the window seals so driving on the highway is very noisy. I'm just tired of the repair costs. Has anyone had a similar experience? Do you think it's better to stick with the evil I know than buy a 'new' car (by which I mean another used Subaru)? I know all the arguments about an older car being cheaper, despite repair costs and I would be trading one more year of payments until I own it free and clear for another 4-5 years.
  • sangerboysangerboy Member Posts: 5
    I posted this in Subaru Crew also but thought that this forum might be more specific. My '95 Legacy Outback quit running today. Will turn over but not start. I'm about to start testing the various possible culprits but I'm very suspicious that it could be the ECU. When putting the code scanner on the OBD II terminal it wouldn't even trigger the scanner. What is the power source of the ECU? Is there a fuse or relay that could be cutting power to it? I don't mind replacing it but I want to make sure that that is what needs to be done as I know they are very expensive. I am the original owner of the car and it has a lot of miles(260K) but still runs great so I'd like to keep it going. Thanks for any help, Greg
    It may be time to cut your losses. It should be worth more than you owe, so at least you're not upside down.

You got 100k miles out of it and it should sell for $6-7 grand or so. I'd sell it.
  • emilcapellanemilcapellan Member Posts: 1
    please..who can tell me where is locate the fwd switch on a 2002 impreza i got the fwd light turned on on the panel...