Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX v. Toyota Celica v. Mitsubishi Eclipse

2»

Comments

• beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    While I would agree w/ you that the stock Celica GTS out-handles a stock RSX-S (mostly due to the former's lower weight), it's no doubt that the Acura out-accelerates, at least straight-line-wise, the Toyota.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    out-accelerate the celica on the straight! Celica's real magic lies in its awesome handling and stopping. In a race through a canyon, celica would win every time - you don't even need to slow down for corners in this car.

The Acura has really good handling too, just not as good as celica, but better damped over bad pavement. My big surprise in the RSX was at how noisy the engine was inside the cockpit.

The celica is the go-kart of sport coupes, with the rough ride to match, but it is fun to toss around. I wonder how its handling compares to the car currently being called a go-kart: the Mini. The Mini is also a bit of a porker, coming in at roughly what the RSX weighs, even more for the S.

Maybe by now the Mini dealers have gotten off their snooty horses, and it is possible to test drive one without putting down a cash deposit...I'll have to check it out.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Would you agree that straight line performance is more important, for practical driving, than handling under hard turns? I merge on highways everyday and need to gun it to get a clean merge w/o making the guy behind me slow down. But I rarely take on/off ramps at a high speed just to get that lateral acceleration feel.

BTW, if you put real tires on the RSX (not the crappy 16" Michelins Acura gives us), then the RSX would be very close in tire grip as the Celica. And lowering it by 1-1.5" would definitely make it out-handle the Celica.

But you would have a valid point in saying that if $2k in mods were spent on the Celica, then it would beat a stock Celica, and probably a $2k modded RSX (in terms of handling).

Either car will suit most coupe drivers fine.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Both cars have more than enough power for safe freeway merging, don't you think?
    in 90 degree freeway ramps is in taking the corner at 65 mph!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• silverrsxs1silverrsxs1 Member Posts: 27
    ...of our cars. When I was test-driving, the Celica GTS was actually my first choice, and first drive. It was an absolute blast. Cornered like a beast, had plenty of get up and go, looked sharp and fit me comfortably -- for the most part.

After driving the RSX-S (and several other cars) I basically came down to a three-way choice between the Celica, the RSX and the Sentra Spec V (which stayed in the running so long on the basis of its excellent price).

The RSX had a far superior interior and amenity package. The Celica looked better from the outside. The RSX-S had more power that was easier to tap into. The Celica stuck like glue in the twisties.

For me it ultimately came down to price. Similarly outfitted, the Celica would have run me $2,000 more than the RSX-S, and I just couldn't see paying more for a car, that I thought was actually more downscale. Had the prices been dead even I don't know what I would have done.

Bottom line is they're both sweet rides for the price.
    Yes, both cars (assuming you get their respective highest trims) have more than enough power to merge safely on highways. But it's more fun punching the i-VTEC @ 8,100 RPM :). I think the 2001 Celicas would be more fun than the 2002 model I test drove since the latter had a lower red line.

silverrsxs1, again you're right on. I also thought of the Celica as a better looking car. But unfortunately, I was only able test drive the base model (GT) in MT or the GTS in AT. None of the local dealers had a 6-speed GTS. :(
    why do they even make an auto GTS?

• muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Agreed, I was almost seduced by that 8000+ redline...
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Because the Celica had a higher price than the RSX-S, and the RSX-S was quicker, with more useable RPM range, I did not even look at the Celica. The base RSX almost competes with the Celica for 0-60. 7.6 vs 7.3. If the Celica was a couple grand cheaper (actually around $20K), would have considered it.
  • dq1dq1 Member Posts: 44
    After putting 35k miles on my '01 Celica GT, I'm getting a good bit of valve ticking. I'm arguing with the dealer to get it repaired under warranty. I asked the service manager how much it would cost if I paid for the work and he told me approx. $800 because it uses shims to set the valve clearance. 2 weeks ago, my wife's '95 civic had a valve adjustment at the Honda dealer for $78 because it uses set screws (or something like that). I don't know how the RSX is set up for adjustment, but I would definitely check with the dealer if I was considering between the two cars. This is a huge difference in maintenance cost. I think Toyota designed a system that would throw extra cash to the dealerships for maintenance.
  • marylaxmarylax Member Posts: 12
    I thought that I already submistted this question but when I just logged on it wasn't there, so I don't know what happened so I thought that I would submit is again...

I have a Red 2000 Celica GT, and I was thinking about replacing the factory standard antenna with the Honda S2000 antenna. I have heard of many 7th Gen Celica owners making the change because it makes the car look a lot better. But I also have read that the S2000 antenna doesn't screw on all the way and leaves a gap which causes for poor radio reception. Since the S2000 antenna only costs about $25.00 from the dealership and it should be pretty easy to change, I was thinking of giving it a try. If any one on here who has made the change or has known anyone who has, please let me know how it works. Thanks!
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Any more thoughts to share on the Acura RSX v. Toyota Celica v. Mitsubishi Eclipse? If it continues to be inactive here, this discussion will soon be closed and archived.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • bryan832bryan832 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I had a few questions about these cars.
    1. I'm 6'2" are any of them comfortable for drivers my height?
    2. what are reasonable prices for these cars used? (2002 eclipse, celica, rsx)I was curious about how that works with the trade in prices vs. dealer price that's listed here. Can you get close to the trade in price?
    3. since I live in the northeast, how are they in snow?
    and 4. I know insurance has a lot of factors but what's reasonable to pay for insurance for these cars?
    thanks
    base RSX to Celica GT, handling of celica is better, stock to stock. Braking is better too. Road damping over bad surfaces is less crashy in the celica. Plus a little less engine and wind noise, good for those interstate trips! :-)

Besides those categories, RSX is tops in everything, and if it hadn't been so darn hard to find one with cloth interior, I probably would have bought the Acura instead...

This discussion has been closed.