Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• cjl1816cjl1816 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an Air Deflector from an online supplier of Honda Accessories. The instructions say it is for a 1999 Odyssey, however, i have a 2001. Does any one know if there would be a difference? Also, it appears that five screws/bolts attach the defector to the mounting hardware that is attached to the hood......but i would have expected some type of rubber grommet to be used in the installation in order to reduce possible vibration....can anyone comment? thanks in advance.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    My 99 EX gets about 18 MPG in commuting driving. It is some 45 MPH and mostly stop and go. I get about 21 MPG if I do 70% commuting and 30% highway. I use the resetable odometer between fill ups. I always fill to the nozzle cut off. I always use a credit card. The receipt shows the exact gallons purchased. I can figure MPG to 3 decimal places. Weather conditions and time spent defrosting etc. make some variations. I use 87 octane.
    I have no idea why some are getting such poor milage.
  • vanquest1vanquest1 Member Posts: 2
    After years of driving a Ford Taurus, we've just picked up our 2001 Ody. I'm very impressed with it so far, with one exception: in tight maneuvers in a parking lot, I have no idea how close I am to cars/objects in front of me. In fact, I cannot see the hood at all. The rear is somewhat easier to judge, as the rear window pretty much defines the end of the van. Is there anything I can install or do to help judge where the front of the van ends, or do I just have to get used to this? Thanks!
  • mikeinhoustonmikeinhouston Member Posts: 19
    I'll try again before it gets buried:

From #1451 of 1472 Questions re Odyssey and Camping & Towing by mikeinhouston Feb 27, 2001 (02:42 pm)

After driving a Suburban for several years my wife has decided that she'd rather have a van. So far we have narrowed it down to the Odyssey and the Mazda MPV. I've got some questions re the Odyssey though.

We do a lot of camping (at least once per month) and while we're not driving up backwoods 4 wheel drive only type roads we do drive up some rough dirt roads to get to various camp grounds. In your experience, how will the Odyssey handle this type of driving conditions.

Also, does anyone have any experience towing with the Odyssey. From time to time, we tow either a popup camper or a trailer with some jet skis (2) on it. How will the Odyssey handle this?

While I've got your attention here are a couple of more questions: is it possible to get leather seating? what's your real world experience re gas mileage (I've seen complaints of around 12 mpg)? any problems with the transmission? Also, is there any type of rear-entertainment (tv/vcr) system for the Odyssey?

Thanks for the help.
  • dlh2dlh2 Member Posts: 18
    Awhile back someone posted the address for the Japanese Honda web site (in either the Ody after market or optional equiptment forum I think)and they have a lot of accessories available for the Ody that we don't have. I saw what appears to be small illuminated wands that fasten to the parking light lenses and stick up high enough to see where the front corners of the van are. I assume that is their purpose but don't know for sure. Has anyone seen such an accessory available in this country?
  • jsambatjsambat Member Posts: 4
    Got my 00 EX last May and the MPG has been terrible. I have been averaging 14 MPG with 30 HI/70 Local driving. On long trips MPG is great at around 24 MPG. If you plan to use OD mostly on local driving, get a Senna. 100% local is about 10-12 MPG and have complained to Honda and no word from them. IMHO if I knew then OD mpg was this bad, I could have gotten a Senna.
    Other experience with 00 EX:
    1. Speakers replaced... read 01 has better speakers.
    2. Rubber door seals are loose, have to push them every now and then.
    3. Passenger side rear step plates are also loose.(edge locks seems to be broken)
    4. Reported cranny hesitation
    5. Very fast on Highway.
    Lastly, I hope that everyone having this MPG problem should complain to HONDA.
  • goltsgolts Member Posts: 1
    I just got back from a 6000 mile trip from Port Townsend, WA to La Paz in Baja California. The mpg on highways, driving at about 70mph was 26 mpg. When I was driving 80mph in Arizona, I got 23 mpg. In town I get 17 mpg, or so. I had 1000 miles on the odo when I left. My van is a 2001 EX. No problems at all during the trip - the traction control light came on only once, when I was climbing a steep hill on a dirt road from a campsite in Baja, We camped in the van, having removed the middle seats. The van is great!
  • timhondatimhonda Member Posts: 24
    I just got a set of 4 wheel locks by UPS for my '01 EX. I'm not sure if I should jack up the Ody before replacing one lug with a lock one fpr each wheel. I hope you don't mind tell me what I should do. Thanks.
  • tj_tjiangtj_tjiang Member Posts: 8
    As I anticipated when I purchased my Odyssey 2000 EX, the first major break down really comes from the power door.
    Right now, the button on the panel won't be able to completely shut the door. The handles, inside and outside the door, simply cause no action. In order to live with the Odyssey before the scheduled appointment, I have to turn off the sliding door button and manually open and close the door.
    The funny thing is that this happened second day after one of my friends asked me if I ever had problem with the power doors, because he heard many complains on the power door on Odyssey EX. To be honest, I gradually lose the confidence on the Odyssey. Many things relate to the decline. For example, the Traction Control does not work as sharp as the early time. This may be because of tires worn out. But come on, only one year usage. May be I should sell it early than I expected.
  • kelsenkelsen Member Posts: 10
    Mike, I have 8000 miles on an '01 EX purchased in October. I have been disappointed with the mileage, but it has never been as low as 12 mpg. I get 20 to 24 mpg on the highway, 16 to 19 in mixed driving.

I have had no problems as yet, except that I have had a door open up on its own two or three times. This might be a bigger problem, but I have my doors locked most of the time. No transmission problems, no untoward noises - I do hear the gas sloshing ocassionally, but it is not troublesome.

I do not drive off the paved road, so cannot address your primary concern. I have a short list of nits I would pick with Honda if I could, such as the doors not automatically locking, but I am overall very satisfied with my purchase and the overall quality and useablity of my van.

Leather is available from 3rd parties; you should be able to find it in the $1300-1800 range. Ditto for entertainment centers, although I don't know the price range on them.

I recommend the extended warranty, simply because the motor - just the part - for one of the power doors will cost about the same as the warranty, and these things seem to have problems on many models of vehicles.

In general terms, I expect that the Odyssey could handle your towing needs with alacrity and aplomb, but I have no personal experience to validate that opinion other than the impression I have of the available power.

Dave Kelsen.
    Atilla the Nun - a simple girl pledged to a life of violence.
  • richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    I've had my 1999 EX almost 2 years now.

An Odyssey is definitely not a Suburban when it comes to towing or really rough roads, but it handles OK on washboard, sand and gravel roads. (Noisier than you might expect on a washboard road, but it handles just fine, and I haven't developed the rattles some of the others have).

There are several posts in the "Towing with a minivan" Townhall Topic from people using Odyssey's to tow loads similar to what you propose. The short version is... get the transmission cooler (as required by Honda), and most everybody thinks the Odyssey is an adequate tow vehicle up to about the rated (3500 lbs.) weight.--not too many posts from people who have towed using something like a Suburban and then the Odyssey though. Most of the Odyssey posts are way up near the beginning of that forum. I haven't been able to convince my wife that "her" Odyssey needs a hitch, so all my towing is done with a 1/2 ton GMC pickup.

Maybe once or twice in 33,000 mile we have gotten less than 20 MPG. Generally 22-24 MPG, but we do live in a very small town, so we get 20 highway miles (70 MPH) before we get any city miles. For a trip to Idaho last summer we got 27-28 MPG running 80 MPH all the way across Wyoming, into the (not at all gentle) wind.

As kelsen indicated, leather and entertainment systems are strictly aftermarket additions, I have no experience with either. I nearly went with the Toyota Sienna because I couldn't get factory leather in the Odyssey.

My transmission has behaved flawlessly, as have most others. A few have apparently taken to making a very loud BANG while moving in reverse, and been replaced by Honda under warranty. I don't recall reading about anyone being stranded by a transmission failure, or limping into the dealer in an Odyssey. (Suburbans, Chevy Vans and Diamler Chysler minivans are a whole nuther story--don't get me started about my Grand Caravan!)
  • masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    Are we having a bad day today? If you are then here is something to cheer you up. Guess what....tonight at 8 p.m. eastern is a live chat event hosted by the guy who did the car dealer story. I just thought you might be interested.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    How did you guess. Nothing has gone right, but when I do get a few minutes and get here to check all the new messages on the many boards I monitor only to find on almost everyone the chat reminder I find it a pain. Its advertised at the begining of the the van forum and even at the home site for Edmunds. I monitor about 15 sites and everyone has a page of besure to go to the chat site tonight. If I wanted to do that I would have enough brains to remember on my own.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    With 4 other lug nuts properly torqued down, it should not be necessary to jack up your Odyssey to install the lug nut. I didn't jack up my Odyssey or any other vehicle to install wheel locks. I would say that if you had 3 nuts of a 4 or 5 lug wheel torqued down properly, it should not be necessary to jack up to reinstall the lock or replace a nut. If your wheel shifts because of one lug nut coming off, then you already had a problem with the other nuts not being torqued down properly.
  • acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    agree w/prior posts--no need to jack it up if the other four lug nuts are left undisturbed. Just undo one lug nut, screw on the replacement using the special socket provided, and you're done. Do the other three wheels and smile. Put the special socket in the glove compartment so you don't leave it home. You cannot unscrew the wheel locks without it! The 7 - 10 minute job is why the installation cost at a dealer for $60 is a total ripoff.
  • pauld37pauld37 Member Posts: 14
    As I look through this topic and others concerning the Oddy, I question the rationale behind the extended warranty? One of the reasons that people buy these vans, is for the reliability of the name, Honda. It would seem that folks like the van, but do not believe the reliability?
  • mwiwelmwiwel Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 LX which I had a transmission cooler installed. I have towed my 2000# pop-up for two seasons without any problem. I have never towed with a truck before so I don't have anything to compare it to. During quick braking you can sometimes feel the extra weight behind you, but I expect thats normal. Mileage does go down since the manual requires driving in 3rd gear rather than overdrive. Hope this helps.
  • odyfanodyfan Member Posts: 40
    Over the year, I've owned and driven Toyota Corrolla, Tercel, Sienna, Honda Accord. I've never heard of the so-called "engagement noise" while shifting from D4 to R with those vehicles at complete stop. Guess what? my Ody has that noise. Even though it's been assured by several sources including dealer that the noise is normal. I still think that shifting noises in trans are not normal and am glad that I've purchased the extended warranty. Just in case the trans decides to bail out after standard warranty. Considering the cost of extended warranty, it is penny compared to what we've paid for the van.
  • mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    If you've really looked through these topics you should understand the rationale for an extended warranty. The Odyssey is no more reliable than other minivans, which is to say it will probably experience more problems than a car. You might not buy an extended warranty on an Accord or Civic, but it might not be such a bad bet for the Odyssey. Having said that, I think most here will tell you the Odyssey is still the best minivan out there for the price, but because it's a minivan it will be more prone to have trouble, especially considering features like power sliding doors (nobody's perfected them yet). We have not made a decision on buying an extended warranty on our 2001 EX and probably won't until a year from now. So far it's been trouble-free, but they don't come with a crystal ball, so who knows? For many, the money spent is worth the peace-of-mind it gives.
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "If you've really looked through these topics you should understand the rationale for an extended warranty. The Odyssey is no more reliable than other minivans, which is to say it will probably experience more problems than a car. "

That's disingenuous: there is nothing inherently unreliable about vans. The Mazda MPV and the Toyota Sienna are more reliable than most cars. The Odyssey is somewhere in the middle of the pack along with the Mercury Villager, the Nissan Quest, and the Dodge/Chrysler minis. Others, such as the GM vans, are worse. So the distribution is just about the same as it is for cars.
  • acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    The extended warranty is simply an insurance policy. No car/van/truck is perfect, and mechanical (and electrical) stuff breaks. You have to decide if you are willing to underwrite the costs of repairs between 36,000 and 100,000 miles. If you are, then don't spend the $900 for the 7/100/0 warranty. If, however, you decide that there is a possibility of a sliding door motor going around the bend to the tune of $1000 for the motor and labor, then maybe you want to buy the insurance policy.

If you've ever replaced the rear quarter window motor that opens that little window, you know they are about $180 each, plus labor of about $125. Hummm.

If you think that maybe the tranny goes west at 80,000 miles while you are towing that boat over the Rockies, and the replacement costs $2500 parts and labor, then maybe you want the insurance.

It's not a matter of how reliable any particular brand is, I think. While I believe that Honda's reliability is very good, stuff happens. So it was worth it to me to pay $925 to buy the comfort of the extended warranty.
    It's not a disingenuous statement at all--minivans as a group experience transmission problems at a much greater rate than the cars they are based on, even Toyotas. Did you buy an extended warranty on your Sienna?
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    I think it would also be fair to say that the most reliable cars are more reliable than the most reliable minivans, in some cases by a large margin. Anyone get the April Consumer Reports yet? Should arrive any day I suspect.

As for extended warranties-

Consider that as insurance, they are priced to make the manufacturer money, even after commissions are paid. For that reason, the perceived reliability of a vehicle probably isn't the most important factor in a decision to purchase or decline an extended warranty. Instead, consider the price you pay. At suggested retail prices, almost every extended warranty on anything I've seen is pretty much a rip-off. Prices posted on Hondacare warranties are quite inexpensive relative to prices I've seen online for OEM warranties on other makes, plus Hondacare includes roadside assistance not in the basic Honda warranty (AAA charges $40-$50 a year for this). Also consider whether or not you have the discipline to save that money for repairs later if you don't buy the warranty. Finally, it also may offer peace of mind for some people, and for others the ability to pay for it by financing with the new vehicle.
    I took a look through some of the posts in ‘Sienna Problems II’. Let’s see---engine sludge, power door problems, tranny failures as early as 10K and 15K, whistling noises, clunking noises, pulling to the left or right, torque converter problems, etc. I don't see much reason Sienna owners should take comfort in knowing that their minivan is "more reliable than most cars."
  • sbjj6sbjj6 Member Posts: 3
    JUDGING FROM ALL OF THE ENTRIES ON CRACKED SPOILERS, i ASSUME USING MY OLD TRUNK/HATCH BIKE CARRIER WOULD BE A MISTAKE. ANYONE USE THSE ON YOUR ODYSSEY? WHAT OTHER OPTIONS DO I HAVE?
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    I use a hitch mounted multi bike carrier from Yakima. Works well, and folds down to allow the rear hatch to be opened.
    "Did you buy an extended warranty on your Sienna? "

Yes, but I also bought one for the last car I owned. It turned out to be a very "wise investment" in that case.
    "I think it would also be fair to say that the most reliable cars are more reliable than the most reliable minivans, in some cases by a large margin. "

It's also fair to say that there are many more car models than there are minivan models, so the probability is higher that there will be cars that are more reliable than the most reliable minivans.
    "I don't see much reason Sienna owners should take comfort in knowing that their minivan is "more reliable than most cars."

It has nothing to do with "comfort", it's just plain and simple reality. How much it is worth to someone, and how much it is worth relative to other considerations, is something else altogether. Don't get defensive: these are just hunks of machinery we're talking about.
  • bnjonesbnjones Member Posts: 15
    First, PLEASE do not post anything back to the board regarding this message. I have a 2001 GG EX with 8500 miles that I regretfully have to sell. If you are interested please email me at brian.n.jones@wcom.com. Once again please do not tie up the board with post regarding this. Thanks.
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    Just out. Saw it in the grocery store, today. Says "Used Cars To Avoid" Odyssey 99, because reliability "Below Average". Odyssey 2000 listed as "Average Reliability". In order to be listed as "Reliable Used Cars". requires an "Above Average" reliability rating. These ratings for used cars are all done based on the reliability ratings in this CR. 2001 = not enough data to rate
  • erickamerickam Member Posts: 7
    I wrote a note to the folks at the Consumer Reports website asking if the Odyssey was showing problems. This was the response I got. For some reason my browser won't let me paste it as a quote.

Sincerely,
    Eric

Dear Mr. Kam:

Thanks for your e-mail asking us about the Honda Odyssey. We appreciate
    your looking to us for information and guidance.

According to our technical staff, as can be found on our site, the Odyssey
    has maintained "Average" reliability for 2000. Generally, our reliability
    data found online, and in the April issue are the same. The only real
    difference is that the website gets the information first, around January.

As for specific problems with the Odyssey, our technical staff has informed
    me that most of the problems stem from the power sliding doors.
    Unfortunately, I have no other information to offer you.

Thanks again for your e-mail.

Sincerely,

John McCowen
    Customer Relations Representative
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    Take the April 2000 Consumer Reports (p32-33). 2 of 16 minivans rate above average in reliability. Those two were Odyssey and Sienna, both around 30% above average. 8 models were around 40% worse than average, and 3 were 80% worse or below.

Now look at the Family Sedan category. 14 of 21 are above average. The top 4 (G20, Camry, Accord) are all 40% or more above average. Only 3 models were around 40% below average.

Other categories like "Small Cars", "Upscale Cars" and "Luxury Sedans" also appear much better than the minivan category. "Sports cars", "Coupes", "Large Sedans" and "SUVs" appear only slightly better. "Pickup Trucks" is the only category that appears about as bad as minivans top to bottom.

Top to bottom, I'd say minvans are less reliable than family sedans and most other categories, according to Consumer Reports. It will be interesting to see if this changes for 2001.
  • swebsurfswebsurf Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I've just purchased the Audiovox CDM9000 cell phone and the HF4000T hands free car kit. The installation of the car kit (in a 1999 Honda Odyssey) is scheduled for Monday so I thought I'd ask if anyone had a kit installed (not necessarily the HF4000T) and where they mounted it.

Thanks for any advice!

Scott
  • erickamerickam Member Posts: 7
    I just had a Motorola hands free kit installed in my 2001 EX. Posted about it in the After Market Add-On's forum at #126 of 132.

My technician showed me a kit called ProFit which eliminates the need for a pedestal on a jointed arm.

ProFit does not appear to make a kit for the Ody but my guy modified one for me.

It sticks out in the crease between the panel that holds the radio and the next panel to the right of that in the dash.

It's not perfect because the metal bracket is a little too thick to modify easily with the tools he has. The dash panels don't fit back together nicely.

He is going to look around for another version of the same kit that might be a little easier to bend.

With the standard pedestal mount I couldn't come up with a good place to mount it. The center console has cup holders and drawers all the way down the front of it.

Mounting a jointed arm with a pedestal on either side of the console would interfere with leg room for my very tall spouse.

I really wanted to have it mounted up inside the space occupied by the sunglasses holder in the roof console but I couldn't talk my tech into doing that much wiring.

If someone has another solution I would like to hear about it.

Sincerely,
    Eric
  • bnjonesbnjones Member Posts: 15
    Just a thought on the ProFit. It has been my experience that when installing the bracket many places tend to scratch up the front of the consol. Also, once you take the bracket back out it leaves a gap between the side wall and radio that is really ugly. I would search around for alternative ways to mount but definitly don't use the ProFit. No offense to ericka. Thanks.
  • lumanskilumanski Member Posts: 39
    I don't own an Odyssey yet, but I currently don't use a cradle, etc. I use the ear-piece and mic combo. You could just lay the phone on the center console. Most new phones can be hooked to one of these devises. I wouldn't ever mount something onto the dash, etc. Another option is I've seen some mounts that clip to the air vent. Don't know if that works well, but I like to feel the air coming out myself.
  • cnybrocnybro Member Posts: 29
    I installed an aftermarket floor console between the front seats - the same that Shagnasty posted pics of not too long ago. The flip down tray stays in place folded down. The console has a 12 VDC plug inside for a cell phone charger. So, I just keep my phone inside of this and it's out of the way. If you still want to mount the phone, I would attach the cradle to the console. Better to mark that up than the dash. I added some adhesive foam on either side of the console so it won't squeek from rubbing against the plastic on the side of the drivers seat and the OEM flip down tray. Also, since there is a small hump in the floor between the front seats, I just cut some 1x4 lumber to put underneath the front and rear of the console to stabilize it. Works well.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    For my Motorola Startac. I have mounted the cradle to the front of the pullout cupholder/change tray. It is actually mounted using the stick-on mount (1" round base) and is on the far left side of the pullout cupholder panel. This location provides excellent visiblity for the phone and it doesn't interfere with the operation of the pullout cupholder, lower storage bin, center console tray, gear shift, radio/heater controls, etc. It adheres very well, but I know I can remove it w/o damage if need be.
  • 3senough3senough Member Posts: 17
    I just purchased a used 2000 Odyssey ex w/ Navi. It was a factory demo. I love the van and have not experienced any of the problems I've read about in this great forum. The van came with lots of extras, cargo mat, towing package, leather steering wheel cover, etc. I was unclear if the alarm system, which can only be deactivated by pushing the valet button or using the remote unlock button, is an add-on or standard with this model? It is not talked about in the owners manual. There is a separate manual for it which made me think it is an add-on.
  • keygokeygo Member Posts: 38
    I have an Ody on order. I have been reading the boards closely for the past couple of months with much interest. Today, on another site, there was a posting regarding the third seat that caught my attention. It stated that that seat is very uncomfortable to sit in for long trip. We travel up north (I live in Michigan and that is a real Michigan thing to do) often and I hate the thought of my kids (soon to be teenagers) riding that far in an uncomfortable seat. My goal is to make these trips easy. Sibling squabbling is hard enough. Uncomfortable seats would make it worse.

Is this a problem or just a person who bought a Town and Country taking a shot at Hondas?
    Thanks
  • binkybarnesbinkybarnes Member Posts: 69
    hi, we have a 2001 ex...i've ridden in the back seats of both but not on really long trips. generally speaking, the third seat in ANY van is not super comfortable. the third seat in the DC vans are more contoured and have better bolstering but with the split seat configuration, forget about sitting in the middle, especially since it does not have a headrest or 3-point belt in that position. the odyssey rear suspension is fully independent and offers better damping...the *new* DC vans still use the ages-old solid axle and leaf springs in the back (i.e., from the horse-drawn carriage days) so i think sitting over that axle for long periods of time would make you more prone to carsickness than in the ody. rear seat occupants in the D-C vans have to share maplights too. one more thing, on the ody, you can actually fit some long items lengthwise under the third seat...forget about doing THAT in the D-C vans...the split seat anchors take up most of the space under the seat. don't get me wrong, i think honda can definitely take a page out of D-C's book in terms of interior design...i feel our interior looks spartan comparatively but the oyssey's four 5-star crash rating (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001Vans.html), excellent offset crash performance (http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_passvans.htm), lowest rollover probability among minivans (http://www.usatoday.com/money/consumer/autos/mauto695.htm), the lowest low-speed crash damage repair costs (http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/low_speed_vans.htm) and the lowest injury index of *any* vehicle the insurance institute for highway safety keeps track of (http://cgi.pathfinder.com/cgi-bin/money/safestcars/safestcars.plx?cartype=all), the lowest insurance relative loss payment of all vehicles tracked by the insurance loss institute (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/studies/InsCost/) make up for it!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Like any seat, comfort is subjective. Unfortunately, you can't take one on a 6 hour test drive.

I've ridden in the third seat in our Ody for just a short ride. It seemed OK, but it is nowehere near the comfort of the captain's chairs. Personally, I don't care how comfortable that 3rd seat is. I'm never going to ride back there!!! And my kid's (just baby's now) can whine just like as teenagers my brother and I did. Each 6' and combined weight of over 300 lbs. had to sit in the back of a 79 Pontiac Sunbird coupe for 60 mile drives. I still wonder how that thing survived.
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    It's not nice to advertise commercially on Edmunds' forums.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I thought local car dealer ads on TV just looked and sounded sleezy, I guess they read just as bad. Could you possibly write shlock worse than ol' billbegam's post?? Would you buy a car from someone that sounds like that???
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    Consumer Reports in their Jan 2001 issue rates the Odyssey Rear-Seat comfort as VG with the ratings ruining
    E,VG,G,F,P

For other vans they list: Toyota Sienna F; The new Dodge Grand Caravan G; Chevrolet Venture G; Ford Windstar G.

So it looks like the Odyssey is about as good as you are going to get.

I know I have been told advertising is not allowed but I would think it would be a service to the members if the price was no more then MSRP and hopefully MSRP with extras added for no extra cost, as a few dealers do. This is because of the current demand for the vehicles.

I suspect that the above advertising is for above MSRP and perhaps for a made in Canada model, which has some problems, however. I know when I was looking for the Odyssey I would have wellcomed and valued an ad which listed an Odyssey at MSRP with extras added for no extra cost. Canada models come without a manufacturers model if they were made to be sold in Canada.
  • selectman2000selectman2000 Member Posts: 1
    We bought ours in December 1998 and love it. The rear seat is quite comfy - even sitting in the middle bewteen 2 booster seats. With the 2nd row Capt's Chairs, I can stretch my legs out with no problem.

As to reliability, I have seen some negtive posts that reference articles read. Where are these articles? What magazine?

Gimme a break. The Odyssey is the best minivan out there. In the 2 years we have had it, the only problem was a recall on the sliding door latches - bolts torqued down too much or something to that effect.

As for price, sticker is about the best you are going to do. Many dealers are bringing down Canadian models, retroing the speedometers and tagging on a new warranty. Keep in mind, these vehicles are technically "Used" when you buy them but with the replacement warranty, its not a big issue. Also, the thermostat for the Heat and A/C is in Celsius and cannot be changed.

On the good side, the Canadian models have day time running lamps and heated side view mirrors.

Hope this helps.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Apparently he doesn't read his email about his violations of the Terms of Use for soliciting either. Please feel free to email Drew or me if you see more of him--Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jimblockjimblock Member Posts: 62
    Yes, on the 2000 EX, the alarm is an add-on. It is standard on the 2001.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    My wife has been complaining about insufficient light when reversing. Anyone else having that problem? If yes, has anyone tried any remedies like higher wattage bulbs, auxillary lights, etc? If it matters, it's a '00 EX. TIA, Terry