Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Current pickup truck trends

lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I was curious about how other people feel about the current trend of pickup trucks shrinking the bed. I have driven trucks since I got my drivers license and back then you had basically 2 choices for a 1/2 ton truck a regular cab with an 8' bed or an extended cab w/8' bed, if you didnt need an 8' bed they had "compact" pickups. Now trucks come with beds that range from 5' to 8'. Personally I fail to see the use of a 5'6" bed on a truck it seems like an expedition or Yukon would be better than a truck with a short bed. I currently have a Ram quad cab with the 6.5' bed, the only reason I have the short bed was because there was no 8' bed trucks available.

Comments

• wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    My truck is an '01 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed. It mostly works for a living carrying construction stuff, pulling a 7500 lb work trailer or for those fun times an 8500lb camp trailer. I'm fortunate in that I can afford a Minivan for my wife and kids and have another car for a daily driver.
    For what I use the truck for, there are times I wish the bed was bigger than 8 foot, and that the truck had more payload capacity. However, if this vehicle was my daily driver I'd probably go nuts - it's a big beast. I smirk at folks trying to tie stuff to the roofs of their Honda Civics at the Home Depot parking lot while I just pile a ton of stuff in the bed. But then it takes me five minutes to jockey my way outta the freakin' parking lot because the truck is soooo long. (Thanks Ford for the reverse sensor.)
    I'm sure there's a lotta folks out there who need a vehicle that can haul more stuff than a car and still be their Soccer Mom vehicle too. By how some of these hybrid pickup/suvs are selling it looks like the car manufacturers hit the nail on the head and are able to sell "trucks" to people who normally wouldn't have bought one. It's all in what you need. So while an Explorer Sport Trak with its 4 ft. bed might do it for some folks, it definitely wouldn't work for me.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    6.5 ft bed works fine for me but there are times like last weekend when a longer bed would have been nice. Left the home depot parking lot with 14ft boards (tailgate down = appx 8ft so 6ft hung off)
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    The 6 ft bed really makes me mad, the 8 ft bed isn't that much more money but they are so much harder to find, and that means in the used truck department (my current market being a college student and all) all I see is freaking ext short bed.
  • ram2002ram2002 Member Posts: 16
    I'm one of those guys who wouldn't normally have considered buying a truck, but I now have a 2002 Ram 1500 with 6'3" bed. It's the only vehicle I have, so I have to be able to get it into parking spaces that seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

I agree with the notion that an SUV or minivan would probably be more appropriate, however, SUV's have become almost as feminized as minivans these days. Here in Texas, you're more likely to see a woman driving an SUV than a man.

No, I don't haul stuff around and I don't go camping much. 90% of the time, I won't have anything at all in the bed, so the shorter bed is just fine for me. I guess I can always have something sticking out a couple of times a year if I need to. I'm sure many others are just like me.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I like to drive a Pickup and like the utility when I need it. I could easily get by with a "S'Crew" or Dakota-sized bed. I had all Reg. Cab SWB until my '99 Sierra X-cab and I don't like the extra length. Really would have preferred a GM "S'Crew". But the 1500HD CC is even longer and I don't need an HD. I think Ford has the right idea and I think GM is missing out. If a Dakota QC was as comfortable as my Sierra and got the MPG that's probably what I'd be driving. Tahoes and Suburbans are too much more money or I'd have one of them.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I think big cabbed trucks with short beds (under 6') look silly (and avalanche wins the silly award). We bought a 3/4 ton extra cab with the short bed, and 6.5' is just enough to get by. I appreciate the shorter wheelbase (tighter turning) when pulling a 35' trailer. Good combination in my book. I suppose a full crew with a short bed would be the same length as an ext. cab with long bed, so that wouldn't be too bad either. I'd trade off some manueverability for full back seats. I think these hybrids have merit for alot of folks. Just don't go throwing a couple ton of gravel in the back of the things.
  • tavgradtavgrad Member Posts: 201
    I think "big cabbed trucks" with shorter beds are cool. Leave the cute Little Jeeps to those cute litle girls.

My new Ram has the 6.25' bed. My ATV fits in there fine. My Home depot parking trips are no problem (I don't have to schlep around in a football field length truck).

If I need anything longer, I have a bed extender.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    If you choose to carry very long items often then a long bed may be the better choice. For me, I very seldom carry anything requiring a bed longer than 6'. Since many trucks are used now as daily drivers and not just work trucks this trend will continue. Not to mention with a towing package you can haul very long items with a trailer.

Dano
    I was a former SUV owner. Instead of hitching my large toys and pulling them, I can just drive them into the bed and haul away.
    The extra cargo/bed space is a plus for people who do not haul more than 6 people...not to mention items that may give off odors (like trash). COmpromising a shorter bed with more passenger space, while making the truck less than 225" in length, its suits the people who want a 4x4 but with added utility.
    GM COULD have had a major hit with the Avalanche with the midgate, if it wasn't for the plastic overloading. It's Ford's chance to make another hit.
    Easy on the Jeep, I love my Cherokee and it's far from a girlmobile. Try the CRV/Escape/RAV4 crowd for cute. Anything that has less torque than tire pressue is all looks.

Even the newest hybrids don't do everything well enough to get me into one, and I personally never see it happening. So I'll keep my Cherokee for general getting around and my Ram 3/4 ton diesel for big jobs. Of course, sometimes I'm in my Jeep and wish I had my truck and vice versa. I'm gonna look closely at the new Rams with the heavies come out next year. Probably up-grade but still won't be my main vehicle. Can't justify throwing miles on something when the Jeep can get me around quicker and easier when I'm not loaded up.

Avalanche: we had one pull out in front of me the other day and I was driving the Ram with about 12,000# behind me. My wife commented that if we'd have hit them it would have looked like a kid dumped a box of Legos all over the highway. So you're right on the plastic look.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    My buddies and I decided that the Avalanche looks like a big, ugly piece of tupperware.
    GM's on a roll: aztec, avalanche, I wonder what will be next...?
  • ram2002ram2002 Member Posts: 16
    Well, there is that new Cadillac version of the Avalanche that looks like a the Griswald's Vacation-mobile on steroids.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..........if you could indicate what sort of mileage you generally get on your 3/4-ton RAM. My old diesel pickup is approaching 300,000 (it's not the engine:it's the rest of the vehicle that's wearing out) and I've always admired the Cummins......even without the 24v improvement.
    2001 Quadcab 4x4 3/4 ton cummins with automatic.

Generally 17-18mpg empty, 12-18mpg towing 8500#-12,000#. The towing mileage has increased by 1-2mpg since making improvements taking us to around 300hp and 600lb-ft of torque. The low of 12 is on trips across plains states where the speeds reach close to triple figures at times. Unless it's flat, long, and deserted I keep the speeds legal which is where the cummins seems to maximize gas mileage. 55mph seems to be the sweet spot for ultimate mileage. That's where I hit 18mpg with a 12,000# trailer. Had to follow a friend with a gasser that couldn't go much faster than that with a load. I love diesels, wish they were available in more vehicles.
    Now that you've mentioned it, i don't recall many either.

Wonder how true truckers would feel if they had diesels available in these crew cabs/shorter beds...
    avalanche seems to be extremely popular, so some people think it looks good.
    has the avalanche sold well?? I sure don't see too many around. there are a lot of people with bad taste though so I suppose it could be true...
    thought when Ford continued to outsell Chevy after the '97 re-design.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I see a lot of them in my neck of the woods.

I hope it succeeds. There are a lot of interesting features on that truck.

Bob
    I'd rather have a 1500HD CC on the Av chassis and a shorter bed like the Ford. I'd like to see one the Customizers build one. My truck is more basic transportation than anything and I can live with a smaller bed.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I had a 6 foot bed once on a 93 Toyota Truck. Now that I have had an 8 foot bed since 94, I could not see going back.
  • moparmadmoparmad Member Posts: 197
    And eat it too. The truck I drive everyday is a 2001 1/2 ton shortbed 4X4 regular cab Ram,for times of seriousness I have a '76 crewcab big block,full time 4X4,flatbed Powerwagon.
    One neat trick my old boss found,was a ladder rack on a shortbed Ranger. It handled 16' lumber with ease and was much easier to reach than the ladder rack on his 4X4 F250.

As far as new trends in trucks,don't get me started,most of them suck as far as I'm concerned. What happened to trucks being judged by payload,towing capacity,and toughness. Now it's quarter mile times and cup holders. Why would anyone buying a big block gas engine really care about gas mileage,it is either going to suck,or REALLY suck. If your towing cross country you would be crazy not to buy a diesel anyway. But I guess that is what happens when the breed becomes popular...indescriminate breeding.
    like me. Bought my first pickup in 1980 about the time more people started buying trucks as second "cars". I want a pickup that rides like a car and has good power and just enough of a bed for the occasional weekend chores. Hey that sounds like a TUNDRA! I shoulda bought a Toyota.
    yeah but if you live in texas you probably would have gotten lynched for driving an inferior toyota. I'd stay with the silverados
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    Things aren't like they used to be. I am one of those that sold my Big truck when I figured Gas was getting just too expensive. I went for about 9 months or maybe closer to a year with out a Pickup. I bought a small 4 door sedan for work and the weekend trips because it was easier for friends and relatives to get in and out of. I got a small Coupe to leave at home for my wife to run errands. I live in the mountains where there is always something to haul to the dump or pick up at the hardware store or garden shop. I couldn't take it any longer and so I went out and bought another pickup. I didn't need a crew cab because I had two other cars and for the first time in my life I looked at short beds. I ended up with a B series Mazda-Ranger. It seems bigger than the old mini trucks I have had. A Toyota SR-5, a Ford Courier, and a Dodge D-50-Mitsubishi. And of course has less room than my old Dodge full sized ½ Ton or even my Dakota longbed. But it seems to meet my needs. I think the new trends in trucks are leaning towards trying to make a compromise vehicle. If the SUV craze is winding down, sales don't prove that yet, maybe this is the next wave. I don't care for the short bed SUV pickup truck combos but that is personal taste. Just like the fact that I don't care for the Mad Max look of the Nissan. Diesels are an iffy proposition for many manufacturers because they are afraid of the stricter pollutant standards expected in the US over the next few years. Look at California and its attempt to restrict diesel school busses. I have said all that just to point out that the new truck trend may be just that, a trend. But even if it last there will always be a need for a standard truck because there are people that don't see a truck as a replacement for the family sedan, but only see it as a supplement.
    I agree 100% with your analogy of "indiscriminate breeding." that's exactly what happens anytime something becomes overly popular. (like the golden retriever. a fabulous dog that has been virtually destroyed by careless breeding)
    kinda the same thing with SUV's. their popularity has killed classic designs like the cherokee, or the original '91-'94 explorer. now they are nothing more than big ugly station wagons with 4wd.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I can agree and disagree about the Golden Retriever, I am on my second one, and they were both wonderful dogs. The first one did die as a ten year old with bad hips and arthritus though. But his personalaty, temperment, loyalty and appearance was wonderful.

Hunter
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    We've got a 5-year old female Golden. What a great pet!

Oops! This topic is about trucks...

Bob
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    GM is pushing the E85 ethanol 5.3L on their big SUVs, and it's available on pickups. Gas mileage is worse, but I would think they could improve on that in the future. If we can get farmers to use it in their farm machinery, we could eventually be energy independent - maybe an exporter. Farm production is still better in the US than anywhere else in the world - and getting better every day.
    I cover both sides of the dog spectrum...I got a yellow lab and a Rhodesian Ridgeback. One super popular and bred by back yard entrepreneurs everywhere,and one never heard of by most folks.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Both my shitzu and siberian huskies are very loyal and have a perfect temperment.

The huskies love to ride in the truck. I have a kennel for each of them (two).
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    remember this:

Toyota only RECENTLY jumped into the market CREATED by your beloved GMC and Ford: Yuppie Trucks.

I really laugh everytime I hear you guys gripe and moan and cry when you talk about new pick-ups, then try to conveniently blame Toyota for all your woes. The Tundra was introduced in 1999, I believe. What was there before 1999? $30K-$60K pickups/SUVs with leather, push-button 4WD, climate control, traction control, navigation systems, cell-phone jacks, heated seats, separate air-conditioner/heater controls, ETC!!! Who made these yuppie-mobiles? GMC and Ford! Cadillac Escalade, Eddie Bauer Edition Expeditions and Excursions, loaded GMC/Ford trucks so plush they would never be worked, etc.

Yes, GMC and Ford truly paved the way for Toyota with the yuppie SUV/truck market. Now even BMW and Mercedes has jumped on the SUV bandwagon in America!

Funny how you guys scoff at the shiny Toyota 4Runner next to you, but don't see the Cadillac Escalade on your other side.

Ignorance and stupidity...
    Is that Greek for bitter,irate Toyota owner? Easy man. I don't like Toyotas anymore than you like Dodge Rams,and thats okay,differing opinions are what makes the world go round. If you are as happy with your Toyota as I am with my Ram then I am happy for you. I realize that the Ram isn't everyones cup of tea,and you must realize that the Tundra is also not everyones cup of tea. Most people expressing their opinions on here are not trying to attack you personally,those that are are best dealt with by simply ignoring them.
    Have a Peaceful and happy holiday.
    Differing opinions are good, as long as they are based on FACTS and not ignorance. I'm sorry, but anybody who blaims the current truck trend entirely on Toyoa, while ignoring the same things GMC and Ford are "guilty" of, is ignorant.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    This topic started with someone saying that 8 foot bed standard cabs and 6 1/2 foot ext cabs were the only choice when he first entered the market. ??? My first truck was a short bed Ford, 1954 to be exact. That was a long time before Dodge brought out the first "Club Cab" and started the ext cab craze. I also had a short bed Chevy, 1970, and now have a ext cab Chevy with the 6 1/2 foot box. It will carry 4X8 sheets of plywood, drywall or whatever with the gate down, and my son has a 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot box if I need it. The times that my short box trucks were not adequate, however, have always needed more than a pickup. Farmer friends with grain trucks fill that need nicely.

The smelly garbage post above is the best reason I have seen for the less than five foot boxes.

Harry
    What are your thoughts on those Ford Sport Tracs and Chevy S-10 Quad-cabs with the mini-box? What's the best reason for THOSE mini-boxes?
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I was commenting on the availability of styles of trucks at the beginning of the topic. Personally I like extented cab trucks with the 8' bed, the problem I found is that most trucks that are sold nowadays are short box ex cabs. When I was growing up most trucks that were bought were reg cab long boxes, then there was the ex cabs, crew cabs and short boxes that were available but hard to find. I guess my opinion is you can never have enough bed space.
    Uncle has a 60ish International pickup with an 11' bed. Has about 8 leaf springs and he hauls cows in the back. He thinks my Ram with cummins is a waste of money. Oh well, I enjoy air conditioning and not having my teeth rattled out of my head. But that's one strong truck, I'll give him that.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Well, there are many advantages to extended cab, shortbed trucks:

1. You can parallel park them. Have you ever tried to parallel park a longbed, extended or Crew cab pickup?

2. You can drive them in parking decks. Most longbed, extended cab pickups cannot maneuver through the typical parking decks.

3. You can do a U-turn. Ever try to do one in an extended cab longbed?

4. You can fit a shortbed in just about any garage. Have you tried to park an extended cab long bed in a regular garage?

5. You can park just about anywhere. With an extended cab, longbed - you must carefully choose where you park.

As far as carrying long items goes - most items which won't fit in a shortbed will not fit in a longbed either - that extra foot and a half does not buy you much.

Most people who drive pickups drive them empty most of the time and have to drive in cities. The extended cab longbed pickup is not very friendly in most cities.

It all boils down to you have to choose your compromises. If you want to drive in any populated areas (and park) - extended cab longbeds are too much of a compromise.
    Lincoln Blackwood fits the Chevy and Ford boys' definition if a completely useless yuppie-truck to a "T."

But you'll never hear them mention a word about the Lincoln Blackwood. All their energies are ignorantly focused on Toyotas.
    pluto i agree totally with

"Lincoln Blackwood fits the Chevy and Ford boys' definition if a completely useless yuppie-truck to a "T.""

Lincoln blackwood and cadillac ext are poor excuses for trucks
    Isn't a '99 Chev Shakerado that is rated a "used vehicle to avoid" by Consumer Reports some indication?

I would suggest that if they can't get it right the first year(or second, or third) then all bets are off.
    bama i think you put this into the wrong topic.

shouldnt this reply go elsewhere
    You brought up Chevy reliability (or lack thereof). Now you are whining. I don't understand.
    YEA IN ANOTHER TOPIC
    You are absolutely right. I apologize. This topic has not turned into a brand war (YET!).
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    What were your reasons for buying a truck? The reason I bought a truck is because I haul a lot of stuff. I wanted an 8' bed because I can fit a lot more stuff in the back of it things like wood, hay, gas barrels, snowmachines and other such items. When I drive into town I see alot of people driving trucks and it is obvious that is their first truck. Its funny to watch them run over curbs with their back tire and make 3 or more point turns trying to park. I guess if you grow up driving long vehicles you get real used to it, my wife still cant understand how I can pull the boat through town and parallel park a 28' trailer and a truck without hitting anything.
    The really bad thing about trucks getting more popular is that they are getting real expensive.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    just bought a '97 Ford Powerstroke with club cab and long bed. I never paid much attention to the size of these or rode in one until he bought that one home. What a boat. We took it on a hunting trip and the backseat ride was nice. Amazing how in a few years time, ext-cab and club-cab trucks have become the norm and reg cabs are coming off the line in fewer and fewer numbers.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    every time I've seen a Tundra apologist type this phrase in the past eight months:

"Isn't a '99 Chev Shakerado that is rated a "used vehicle to avoid" by Consumer Reports some indication?"

NEWS BULLETIN: In 3 weeks it will be 2002. Model year 1999 trucks have been out of production for 3 yrs. Is that all you've got? Why don't you post that line in a new thread called "Worn Out Vehicle Insults and Other Assorted Drivel"?
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    I see the new trend in trucks as an attempt to give us a SUV with a bed. Some corporate guy sits in a ivory tower somewhere and says to himself, "hey, people like SUVs and they sell well and make us a tidy profit and people like trucks. But truthfully I think they are all fine, except I don't care for those SUV tiny bed things. It's a visual thing and I don't care who makes them. I now have a standard cab because I didn't need a club or a crew cab. So I didn't need to spend the extra money, something between two and four thousand dollars more just for the extra cab space I never put anyone in. What if I have passengers and want to go to dinner? My Sedan works better for that anyway. The coupe is fine for when my wife needs to run errands and the truck is for work and weekend projects. Don't ask me what I would do if I had to pick just one vehicle because I have no idea. I have been in some of the forums in other car related sites and the sedan kids and coupe kids have no idea why a person gets a truck in the first place. Some hate SUVs more than they hated school.
This discussion has been closed.