Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• etc42etc42 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, anyone know cost of extended warranty thru lexus and if it's worth it's, it's for above 04 sc 430, 41K miles, going to get it for the approx 38K$
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    Etc;
    This is only my opinion and you know what they say about opinions! In any event I bought a new 03 SC430 and I purchased an extended warranty (Platinum) for $1800.00.
    Any consumer savvy person will tell you that extended warranties are a rip off. No1. However,I do like to sleep at night!!!
    No2. I plan to keep the car for 7 years.
    A car as complex as the SC can be very expensive to repair.
    Example: Should anything go wrong with the top mechanism you could eat up $1800.00(cost of warranty) real quick.
    Lexus are very reliable but, they are only machines and over a period of years/miles things will go wrong.
    So, you have to answer these two questions:
    1. How long do you intend to keep the car?
    2. Are you willing to stand the cost of repairs should something break?
    Yes, I paid $1800.00 up front but I can sleep at night knowing that for the next 7 years repairs are covered should a failure occur. Incidentally, normal wear and tear items brakes, filters, etc are NOT covered by the warranty.
    Hope this helps and does not further confuse the situation.
    Ron
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    A couple of points to consider:

(1) Before buying any extended warranty, make sure the dealer / Lexus / the insurance company will readily accept and pay for claims. I know of several people who have had disputes with Lexus on items that should be covered under the original warranty. One of my employees had to go through 3 1/2 months of legal action before he finally got Lexus to buy back his GX470 which was exhibiting the "clunking" and resonant vibration problem common to those vehicles. Another associate had to fight to get Lexus to replace failing suspension components on a GS430 that Lexus initially claimed were "normal wear" after only 45,000 miles.

(2) I respectfully disagree with ron36330. The SC430 is not a "complex" vehicle compared to most $60k+ vehicles. The engine and drive train are common within the Toyota / Lexus line-up, as are the major suspension components. That is the major gripe of some who think the SC430 falls short of what it could be if Lexus were to build a ground up sports car / coupe without borrowing so many spare parts from other models. However, that is good news relative to ease of repairs.

The other good news is that ron's $1,800 7/100 extended warranty is pretty reasonable. My brother in law paid $4,200 for one for a new 911S, which really is a far more complex car. But my neighbor only paid $1,000 for an extended warranty on a Honda S2000, which is a completely unique ground up car. If you need to sleep at night with no worries, go for it. But try to negotiate in price (there is usually a 50-100% mark-up) and get some references on claims resolution.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Or, take the cost of the extended warranty and invest it in conservative, short term vehicles (e.g. CDs, T-Bills...). Once the original warranty expires, if you do need an expensive repair, you can tap your invested funds. If you don't need an expensive out-of-warranty repair, you stil have YOUR money, plus interest, to do with as you please!

I'd "self-insure" and keep my money in my pocket (i.e. investment vehicle) for as long as possible. But, if you really won't be able to sleep at night, negotiate the best deal for your extended...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I would like to thank everyone for their most informative input.
    obviously, it is a complex matter, with multiple factors involved, personal, financial, mechanical, integrity of dealership.
    I will have to do alot of research into the situation.
    COMMON BREAKDOWNS OF YOUR SC?
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    Etc;
    Haven't had anything go wrong on 03 SC. I do have issues with RFT's regards hard ride over bumps but I intend to cure that with different tires when the OEMS wear out.
    Ron
  • ipsadoodleipsadoodle Member Posts: 35
    I took delivery of an 02 SC 430 in March 02, the first one delivered in the DC area. I like the car, only has 20,000 miles..but I had problems...the tires (Bridgestone) were terrible..car pulled 90% of the time..after a while and no cooperation from Lexus, I switched to Dunlops which are a lot better..rides pefect 85% of the time..still pulls occasionally..took 2 years to get Lexus to pay the $1106 they cost me..also had suspension problems, they replaced some part in back twice before it was ok. also have a recurring rattle in rf seat..been worked on 3 times, but still the cars excellent..is still current in style..I bought it in Red and I receive many compliments on the car. would trade in a heartbeat for another one if they would change the body style, which they have not..also have an 05 RX 330 and mywife loves that..me I like a luxury sedan better, but if you're married, you know what I mean.....
  • ipsadoodleipsadoodle Member Posts: 35
    took delivery in March 2001
  • nimpernimper Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Have seen other posts that refer to this problem. My dealer looked at it twice and couldn't locate the cause.
  • z5470z5470 Member Posts: 28
    I am thinking about getting a 2006 SC430, but a friend of mine had a 2005 and constantly is having problems with the run flat warning light. He has been back to the dealer 7 times. They never find anything wrong with the tires. They tell him its a tire pressure problem that triggers the light.. When there is about a 4 lb diff in pressure the light goes on and has to be reset. Has anyone else had this problem? Thank you
  • murrayd1murrayd1 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing an sc430, Either a 2002, 2003 or a 2004. I know all three model years look the same. Is there any differences between the three years from a mechanical point of view?
  • brucerossbruceross Member Posts: 16
    No.
  • retired58retired58 Member Posts: 4
    I recently had my 430 valdalized and now need the hood repainted due to a small area with paint damage. I have a clear bra on the lower part of the hood no where near the damage. The body shop (insurance) wants to tape the bra and paint the rest of the hood. Is this the correct thing to do?? Should I insist they remove the bra and paint the whole thing? Will insurance pay for replacement of something like a bra that is aftermarket? I would appreciate any advise. Thanks
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I've been catching up with the postings (thinking about taking off my runflats) and saw this note. The original disk center hubs could be replaced for around $500 with a spoke design at purchase. It looks like the '06 has done away with the covers altogether (from a picture) and has a spoke wheel. It was a bolt-off, bolt-on replacement. If this is still something you're looking at I'd try -
    irontoad.com (a Lexus dealer in PA who will sell parts at reduced prices); your local recycler (there may be a wrecked one where the wheels are OK or the local dealer (most $)
  • zgxl04zgxl04 Member Posts: 4
    I will purchase an '02 SC430 on Friday. Black on black with chrome wheels, 22,000 miles (paid $39.25K) Has anyone hooked up a MP3 player to play music through the car stereo system, if so what adaptor system did you get.
    Thanks
  • vvoloshinvvoloshin Member Posts: 2
    I have 2002 SC430 with 39000mi. When you starting the car its always slow to crank. I have Lexus check it and they said that it is normal and car is performing self check. Is anybody has got this. Thanks
  • dbregmandbregman Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I just bought an '03 SC430 and really want to put XM into it. Can you tell me, does the mounting of the control unit allow the door to still close and cover the unit? Is it possible to see a photo of the install? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    David
  • donniebuchanandonniebuchanan Member Posts: 1
    Where can you buy a used spare tire and cover for 03 sc430
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2005 Pebble Beach edition and have never had this light come on.
  • newbiegurlnewbiegurl Member Posts: 1
    Hey I just picked up my certainly not new but new to be SC430 and I am wondering what you guys can tell me to help me out.

Also what features dont I have opting for the used versus the new which made my pocket book much happier??

It is Black with the Saddle? and Black Interior and best that I can figure is loaded.

It does have 53000 miles on it but also must have had an owner like me cause it looks brand new.

I did spring for the extended 48000 more miles warranty so I could sleep at night but got them down to 1600.00 for it and it is the deluxe covers everything one so I am okay with it I guess.

So anything good or bad you have to tell me. This was my dream car so I am excited.
  • romemdromemd Member Posts: 1
    I love the SC430, it is everything that I have every wanted in a convertible. I like it better than the Mercedez 500 CL.
    However, the run-flat tires are very dangerous on this car in light snow. The car has virtually no tracktion. I tried to stop at a stop sign one day after it had lightly snowed and Slid right into the intersection. The only thing that saved me was that it was a side street and the pick up truck that would have crused me, was going slow and went around me. SOMEONE OR SOME COMPANY REALLY NEEDS TO MAKE A RUN-FLAT TIRE FOR THAT CAR THAT HAS AT LEAST SOME TRACKTION IN AT LEAST LIGHT SNOW. IF NOT THEN THE RUN FLATS NEED TO BE DISCONTINUED ON THE CAR FOR SAFTEY REASONS. THE CURRENT RUN-FLAT TIRES ARE GOING TO GET PEOPLE KILLED IN LIGHT SNOW CONDITIONS.

DR. LISK
    Hi, just got an 04 SC 430.
    Does the lights go auto off?
    I had the running lights on and it did NOT turn off overnight.
    Also, I was driving with the headlights on for daytime safety and it did NOT turn off after I pulled the key and was walking away.

I think if switch is on "AUTO" that it does but does it if it's on the first or second click?
    Frequent Radio recommendations are that Hi Octane is needed in only a few circumstances. is the SC 430 one of them? this is my first V8.
    Hi, for the 04 SC 430 can you get the Nav system to work WHILE moving?
    Is there a dealer correction that can be made?
    I find it really inferior compared to my Garmin 2620. I'm planning to take my portable while I'm riding this car. I don't want to pull off the highway into a strange and probable bad neighborhood when I decide I want a short detour.
  • sosksosk Member Posts: 42
    TO NEWBIEGURL, or any other '02 owners:

I'm thinking seriously of buying an '02 SC430 with 47K miles, with the platinum extended warranty. I was planning on getting the new IS250 but the looks of the SC430 blew me away. I tend to keep my cars a good ten years or so and have a soft foot. As an empty nester, a coupe works fine for me. I don't want to be impulsive.

Do you '02 owners like your 430?

Thanks for any info!

Sue in Dallas
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    My wife's SC430 is 5 years old and has been extremely reliable. She loves it. It's a great car. Some criticise it for not being a "sports car."
    RCF8000,

Thanks so much for your remarks! I've seen so many horror stories on this forum, and they seem to all be related to the run-flat tires. Do you have them on your wife's car? How often have you replaced the tires? And how's the gas mileage? I really had planned on putting down a deposit for the new IS250, but then the SC430 blew me away!!

Sue in Dallas
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I'm not a big fan of run flat tires. I replaced the original ones at 20,000 miles with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires in the original size, and I also replaced the wheels with HRE wheels. The result was a smoother, quieter ride. I have read that the newer run flat tires are better than the originals. I don't know what the gas mileage is.
    Hi Sue, I have a 2002 SC430. It has 68,000 miles on it and it still drives like it is brand new. I have changed the original run flat tires to regular tires. The change in tires made a big difference in the ride of the car for the better.But in 5 years nothing and I do mean nothing has gone wrong with my car. I change the oil on time and I put in premium gas into the tank and thats about it.I sometimes read these messages and wonder if these people indeed bought the same model and make I did or maybe they got a Kia or Hugo by mistake.I have owned lots of cars in my 49 years and nothing compares to the fit and finish of the SC430.It is not only a great car but what makes it that much better is the fact that its a hard top convertible.The inside of the car is trimmed in the finest leather and woodgrain. For the money I have had many years of endless enjoyment out of my 2002 SC430 and I would buy one again without hesitation.Do what I did and go with that impulse and feel the rush of the wind in your hair, you won't be sorry! Bruce...
    BRUCEROSS,

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! What tires did you put on it? Did you have to change the wheels too (please pardon me if that's a dumb question!)? After reading so many not-so-favorable posts, I was really getting depressed. I appreciate your remarks and any other suggestions you might have. Sue
    Hi Sue,
    The tires I put on my car were Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and you do not need to change the wheels. I did change my wheels because I didn't like the look of the factory wheels(they look like manhole covers) so I went with the Zinik Z5 Ikeda. The car looks like a million bucks with this combo but it didn't come cheap!And Sue you will hear a million complaints about the regular tires that if you don't have a spare, what are you going to do in case of a flat? Please, do what I did and get a $5.00 dollar can of fix a flat or better yet become a member of the AAA, its cheap insurance for roadside emergencies.
    BRUCEROSS,
    Thanks again, so very much, for all the info! I think I'm going to ask them to just go ahead & take off the run-flats. I've had a can of Fix-A-Flat in my Buick for years and have always used it instead of trying to change a tire (fortunately I'm talking about only once or twice). We've been AAA members for years. From a lot of gloom & doom on the forum, to your encouraging words.....NOW I'm getting excited! Thanks again, Sue
  • jtmavjtmav Member Posts: 18
    Be careful with the can of Fix-A-Flat on the SC 430. Each wheel has a tire pressure sensor inside and the use of that type of product will ruin the sensor. At $150 a pop for a new sensor you'd be better of with AAA. I am planning to ditch the runflats in the Spring. I am leaning towards the Goodyear F1 or the Dunlops. I will take my chances without a spare, I have both AAA and Lexus Roadside.

JTMav
    JTMav, good point regarding the sensor. We have AAA and I think Lexus Roadside too. I haven't taken delivery of my SC yet, but I think I'm going to go ahead & tell them I don't want the run-flats............Sue
    Bruseross,
    I just wanted to tell you that I'm picking up my '02 430 on Tuesday afternoon. Egyptian Sand with ecru. Almost got an '04 Amethyst but it had sold earlier in the day (yesterday). I'm a very practical person & this car doesn't seem too practical to me, but the "wow factor" could not be ignored! Thanks for your guidance!! Sue
  • jtmavjtmav Member Posts: 18
    Congrats, I have an'03 Egyptian Sand/Saddle and it is great. Practical is overrated, be prepared for a lot of fun. Nicest car I have ever owned and as reliable as can be.
    Good Luck
    JTMav
    P.S. what did you do about the tires? :confuse:
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Sue, could I ask what you paid? I've been thinking about buying the new Volvo C70 but started wondering if perhaps a used Lexus might be something to look into.
  • msc430msc430 Member Posts: 1
    You cannot program a new destination while moving, but if you select a previous entry or home, the navigation will re-route you. You probably should not be entering info while driving considering the number of pages it takes. Hope this helps. I've had my SC 430 Black/Saddle since 5/01 and experience this issue as well.
    To JTMAV & BIANCAR,
    JTMav, thanks for the encouraging words! As I was cleaning out my "practical" '95 Buick Regal today, I was thinking I've lot my mind! Whenever I'm not at the Lexus dealership, I think I've lost it & should call them and tell them nevermind the SC and I'll get an IS. And when I've gone there, I fall in love with the SC again! We decided to keep the Dunlop run-flats that are on the car, and when it's time to replace them, we'll do so with "regular" tires. We drove on the Dunlops for almost an hour & they felt fine to us....granted it was just an hour.

Biancar, the car is an '02 with roughly 45K miles on it, and it's certified, for $37K. I think we got a fair deal. I don't think we 'stole' it. I think we hit a number that everyone was comfortable with. We felt that our salesman worked really hard - he put up with all my anal-ness!

I'll pick it up either tomorrow or Tuesday. We have 5 days before it rains again - I gotta get some play-time in!!

Sue
    Hi Sue, You have made the right decision! Just this weekend I took my SC out for a little exercise in the mountains of San Diego County with the top down...Probably the most fun I can have legally!If you enjoy your car half as much as I do, you will be very satisfied with your purchase. And as far as the practicality goes,are you going to ride the merry-go-round your whole life or choose the roller coaster!
    Bruceross, roller coasters scare the you-know-what outta me!! I was crushed - thought it would be ready tomorrow but now it looks like Wednesday...now I'm getting excited & I want it!! Well, it'll be just that much sweeter, I guess. Thanks again for making me feel good, Sue
  • dsg1dsg1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum.I currently am leasing a beautiful dark green 2003 lexus.I have a 3 year lease which will expire in a year.My payoff at that point will be $38,000.

I will have only about 12,000 miles in a year when my lease is up.I'm contemplating buying the car rather than turning it in and leasing a new lexus.My reason is that with such low mileage I would be better off to buy it and trade it in on a new Lexus...What do you think ?

Also,are there any prototypes of the 2007 SC 430??Will there be radical changes??

Anyway,I may well just payoff the car and keep the 2003 because of the very low mileage but I suppose alot hinges on what the 2007 will look like.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...Dave
  • dsg1dsg1 Member Posts: 2
    Has this color been discontinued??I have a Lexus SC430 in this color and adore it..in the bright sun its an incredble dark metallic green..in the shade and at night it appears black..I'm thinking of getting another SC430 when my lease runs out next year and wondering if this color is still available?
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I don't know what you have been smoking, or if you even smoke, but the only thing that the spoiler on the SC430 will do for you at 156 mph is fall off! It adds no stability as the car needs no additional down force, and it could possibly cause the trunk lid to come open from the front. Wouldn't that be a hoot. ;) At 156 mph that might actually get the front wheels off the ground. Talk about a speed break! (just kidding on the trunk) although if the ele. mechanism released and the trunk started to open that back wing would sure help it come open!

CK

I say take the wing off and fill and repaint the holes!
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    No matter where you get your tires, DON'T get them from Costco or you will be sorry!

I got mine from Discount and couldn't be happier. They get me right all over the country and they rotate and balance as soon as I come in. No matter where I am.

I tried that with Costo and the SOB's made my wife sit 6 hours when they said they would get right on it. They said they sold a lot of tires that day and that they do the installs first! THey just let my wife sit there without even telling her why. She kept asking, "how long" and they would say "very soon now" BS. When I found out I called and raised holly hell!! To compensate my wife for her 6 wasted hours, they gave her a coupon for a free hot dog!!!
    BFD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Costco and still go there for everything else, but NEVER, NEVER again for tires!!!!!!!!!!

My wife went in for a rotation. I have heard it's even worse for a flat!
    TO BRUCEROSS - Hi! Just wanted to let you know I've had my car almost a week now. I think I'm starting to get used to it! For the first few days I felt like I was driving a loaner & resented its smallness and unfamiliarity, and I even started wondering if I could get my Buick back! Today was probably the 3rd day in a row that I've started feeling this is MY car and I'm having FUN. I hear a funky sound in 1 speaker (i'll take it in next week for that) but other than that, I'd have to say all is perfect. It's supposed to be a lovely weekend in Dallas this weekend - I can't wait to get out there & wax my new baby! Sue
    Hi Sue, I am so glad you got your car.I too thought the car was small inside, but as you continue to drive it you will come to appreciate the almost intuitive setup of all the cars functions. Please do me a favor and take the top down and sport your new ride on the streets of Dallas this weekend. There is no doubt in my mind you will be turning heads as you cruise down the causeways of the Texas countyside.You will find that your car is sooo much fun to drive and is equally able to take you to that country BBQ or the finest restaurant and concert!
    You now you have arrived when you pull up in your new SC430!!!
    Hey, Bruceross, we just got home from going to dinner, and we took the L-O-N-G way! Put the top down and turned on the heated seats 'cause I forgot my jacket. The other night we went to Sonic for a burger, and I heard some folks in the car next to us and they were talking about our car - what a hoot!! I'm enjoying it more each day, and I can't wait to "bond" with it when I wax it this week. Thank you a million times over for nudging me in the "proper" direction! what else do you drive?....Sue
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    dsg1 : there are NO changes in the 2007 SC 430 , NONE .
    Hi Sue,
    I am so glad you chose the proper direction. The more you drive your new baby the more you will fall in love with it!And Sue, try the wax made by Magquires in the purple bottle. That wax really gives the most shine of any product out there.If you are like me nothing is to good for your baby! As for the other cars I drive, well for my daily driver its a LS400 Lexus sedan and my wife drives a RX330 Lexus SUV (Can you tell I like the Lexus brand)Well enjoy you new car as I know you will!!!
This discussion has been closed.