Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• garynakgarynak Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I just bought a 2002 SC430 with 27,000Km (16,000 Miles, I'm Canadian, eh). I did my research and was pleased to know that I made the right decision and purchased an excellent vehicle. I'm looking for a comfortable quiet ride with my SC and was wondering how much difference it would ride with regular tires instead of the run flats. I looked on the web and the Avon Tech M550 M+S was rated the best tire for the spec's required.
    Anyone have any comments?
  • jtmavjtmav Member Posts: 18
    Well I ditched the runflats last weekend and put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on. Phenomenal tires. It's like I have a new car. Night and day difference, no more harsh ride or squirrley behavior. I now have the car I thought I bought. Since I don't have a spare (I do have AAA and Lexus roadside)I bought one of these http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp

Should work with most problems except a full blown blowout.
    Highly recommend dumping the Flinstone cement tires and get a set of real tires. You won't look back.

JTMav
    03 SC430 Egyptian Sand/Saddle">link title
    thanks for the info, JTMav. I never had a 'blow out' in my 35 years of driving so I guess the odds are pretty good not to carry the spare.
  • flickflick Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks

I've been reading the thread about the 2002 SC430 with interest, because I have a chance to buy one. I have always loved the look of this car but never dreamed I could own one. In fact, I drive a Toyota Solara now in part because it reminds me of the SC430 from the back! I've done a lot of research, but there is one thing I still don't have a definitive answer for--winter driving. I know I'd need to get really good snow tires (I already checked some out at Tire Rack), but I wonder if anyone can tell me whether this just isn't a car you can drive in snow at all, even with snow tires. Some say you can't because of the low profile; others say you can. Any insights you can give would be greatly appreciated--this would be my year-round car and I'd have to be able to drive it in winter.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Well I live about 25 miles outside of Boston and commute to the city daily in my 03 SC 430. I did buy 4 snows as I have always used summer and winter tires not all seasons. With the snows the car was fine, although we had a mild winter. In the few storms we did have the car performed reasonably well. You must remember it is rear wheel drive and has some power. I found in the winter mode with the TCS off I did just fine. I wouldn't think winter should stop you from enjoying the car. I would recommend ditching the runflats and buying real tires. If you scroll up a bit there are a couple of threads on that subject.
    Good luck
    JTMav
    Hi, everyone. Has anyone purchased and used the Luxlink Remote top and starter units by Luxury Motorworks in California? I am thinking about getting one.
    Garynak
  • dsrothdsroth Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have the instructions on how to replace the Power Steering Pump on a 1995 Lexus SC400? I have looked several places for a repair manual and can not locate one. I can not wait long enough to order one on-line... Any help!!!!
  • kurbiekurbie Member Posts: 1
    My, My, My.... the number of posts re: run flats in the forum on SC430's is quite extensive. I've cut and paste until i'm about to go crazy. I have a 2002 SC430 with the original RF's and just turned 20,000 miles. The noise is AWFUL, the ride is DREADFUL, and the bumps TERRIBLE. I'm not a speeder and we're looking for the ULTRA-QUIET, ULTRA-SMOOTH ride you would expect in a Lexus. Price is not the biggest issue, only the quality and comfort of the ride.

Here's my question: Brand, Model & Size you would recommend?

Thanks! Ken in Ohio (Black & Ecru)
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I replaced the original run-flats on my wife's SC430 at about 20,000 miles, with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires in the original size. The ride and noise was much improved. However, at the same time I also replaced the wheels with HREs. This may have contributed to the improved ride quality, since I think they are lighter weight than the original wheels.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • rcraftrcraft Member Posts: 16
    Our Lexus SC430 (2006) is my wife's car and she really has no complaints related to ride quality. Her car came with Dunlop SP Sport 5000 DSST tires. We live in Texas and our roads are pretty good. I suppose if we lived in an area where roads were bad she could have a different opinion. My dealer delivered the car to us with 45 psi tire pressure (much higher than the door jamb suggests), and when I inquired about this, they said, "our experience suggests that this pressure actually IMPROVES the harshness rather than worsening it". I guess "hard air" is still more forgiving than "hard rubber". Personally, I like the trunk space that is available and the peace of mind knowing that I'm not going to get one of those "my car has a flat tire" calls while I'm at work. I personally don't find the ride objectional either. It does ride firmly (completely appropriate for a sporty type car) but I wouldn't characterize it as harsh in any way. Much better than Corvette or Mercedes SL500, both of which were on her "short list". My advice is, use the run flats for all their positive attributes and work on missing the pot holts. ;)
    This looks like a really good thing and would be nice in out other cars too. Thanks very much for bringing this my attention.

I do have one question. How would the "goo" affect the tire pressure sensor system? These sensors are realatively expensive and run on batteries so they require periodic replacement (say every 3 years or so). Just curious if you had researched that aspect of using the tire sealant. Other than this one concern, your solution seems about perfect.
    No. This is the only temporary flat repair solution that was specifically designed not to damage the sensors that I could find. The "goo" is water based and should be safe. Hopefully we won't have to try it out.

JTMav
    Well maybe with a few miles on them you are happy. But let's look at the trade off. 45 psi to start with, the tires are notoriously short lived, with 45 psi you'll be lucky to get 10k out of them. Noise, wait till you put a few more miles and see how noisy they are. Handling, the car with real tires on it handles beautifully. With the runflats especially in rainy weather are slippery and IMHO unsafe especially with 45psi. Cost is exorbitant. Any type of irregularity in the road surface is amplified dramatically. It will take it's toll on the entire integrity of the car with repeated jarring. Many long time users of runflats have complained about this. Even the long term Edmunds review decided that the car was like "night and day" with traditional tires.
    I think it is unanimous with SC 430 owners who have switched none that I know of are going back to runflats, the technology isn't ready for prime time in my humble opinion.
    Congrats on the new ride, hope she has loves it

JTMav
  • sameerd54sameerd54 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced my original run flats (25k) with regular tires...I was considering getting the tire repair kit that was posted above, but then I noticed room in the trunk for a small spare....there is already a jack there.....has anyone purchased a spare separately?
  • sa9dukesa9duke Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know anything about the performance of the all-season run flats versus the summer run flats? I just bought one with the summer tires on it, but I'm worried about driving with these in the rain/ snow. will the all seasons be any better or will I need regular winter tires regardless?
    thanks!
  • morteemortee Member Posts: 3
    just replaced bridgestone run flats with pirelie zero nero m-s.the ride is great i should have done .it sooner.no spare . when was last time you had a flat?

call lexus service or aaa. carry can of air.

GREAT RIDE
  • ihatelexusnowihatelexusnow Member Posts: 1
    I will never buy a Lexus again. I will reccommend to my friends NOT to buy a Lexus. The reason, the warranty! I had the brand new vehicle for 3 months off the show room. Since day one, it could not start on its own. The batterry was never recharged after I drove it or let the car run for 30 minutes. When I brought it to the dealer in Wilmington, Delaware, they said my IC computer was fried and it was not a warranty problem. Needless to say, this will be the last Lexus that I own. Be sure that everyone I know will know this Lexus quality problem.
  • lilguylilguy Member Posts: 16
    I Am a recently retired Volvo Master Tech,32 years experience,my wife and I are getting an 06 430. I would SERIOUSLY wait if you want the Volvo.Let others be the guinea pig for this new design.I have no axe to grind, Volvo was very good to me.But Volvo is not Lexus, I made a lot of money repairing new model problems.This is true of most manufacturers.The Lexus is a proven design.
  • sosksosk Member Posts: 42
    Hi BRUCEROSS,
    Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying my '02 430! After a tough day at work I couldn't wait to get in my baby & lower the top! My dealership folks recommended the paste wax by Mother's, which is what I used, and it looks great. But I'm always looking for better & will give the purple Maguires a try. What do you use for the interior, though? I just got some Maguire for leather wipes - is that ok for the dash as well? Sue in Dallas
  • jack46jack46 Member Posts: 8
    Can anything beat silver/saddle??
  • brucerossbruceross Member Posts: 16
    Hi Sue, I'm so glad you love your car. I knew you would! Again
    by what I read in this log I can tell some authors do not own one of these cars. If they did they would enjoy it as much as we do!As for the leather treatment, I have found that Maguires liguid leather cleaner and conditioner works best on the leather and gives it a deep rich tone. I only treat the leather every other month. It tends to make the leather so supple that I slide on the seats. But I use the Maguire wipes as you do on the dash. Also only take your car thru a hand car wash as the brushes on a regular car wash will leave swirls on the paint finish. All the best...
    I have a red with saddle and I love the combo! But I think it comes down to personal preference.
    The problem with paste wax is it just doesn't last too long, especially in hot sunny climates. If your SC spends any prolong time in a hot sun the wax just melts away. Also you have to deal with the residue in all the usual places. (door creases, hood etc.)
    I would highly recommend the Zaino line of car care products. Their sealants are the best I have used and I have a garage full of products that I have tried over the years. Also their "leather in a bottle" is just terrific. Smells just like brand new leather and cleans and conditions perfectly.
    Second choice would be Klasse products. They make an "all in one" cleaner and sealant that works quite well. Simple to use wipe on wipe off product.
    Have fun taking care of your new ride.

JTMav
  • dseltzerdseltzer Member Posts: 2
    Good remarks on the RF tires.

I have had my 2002 SC since new. Yes, the RF tires are hard and yes sometimes they are not as grippy but it sure beats what I had to endure last weekend in the rain in a parking lot.
    2 flat tires from nails in my new Benz. I finally called MB Roadside assistance as they needed to be plugged .

I will keep the RF tires and keep driving with knowing that I will not have to endure that event on the SC.

BTW- I have 17,000 miles on the original tires and they are doing just fine.

Derek.
  • dseltzerdseltzer Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with the battery.

Here's the scoop- The Lexus SC does not have the alternator that charges the battery just at idle. Lexus replaced my battery and advised that you have to drive the car to charge the battery. I had left it undriven last winter for 30 days with the alarm on in the garage.

Since then I made a point each weekend to drive it rain or shine.

Overall Lexus has been great since 2002 and I will look at them again not only for service 99% v MBenz 50% but for the quality of their cars.

Derek.
  • howsmithhowsmith Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a new coupe but am thinking it may be a good idea to wait for the 2007 in September. Of particular interest is possible upgrades in the handsfree phone operation. Anyone have any imput?

Thanks

HowSmith
  • igorxxigorxx Member Posts: 3
    Buy a Yugo
  • schack1schack1 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone experience a rattle where the hinges of the roof are? Possible solutions?
    What I hear is that the '07 will be unchanged. Like you, I know that this car is on it's last legs and will soon change (SC460?). For that very reason, I leased my wife's '06. If the new model comes out within 3 years, I avoid the hit in depreciation that always accompanies a significant change. If we like what they do, we'll upgrade, if not we'll convert the lease to a purchase. Maybe not a perfect plan, but it's a plan. Good Luck. ;)
  • joec7joec7 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 the rattle started about 3 months ago. Dealer was going to replace the hinge. They called a dealer in Portland Or who made an adjustment. So far quiter but not perfect. I will be contacting the dealer to replace the hinge
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Entering the third driving season with 10K miles on my 2004 (midnight pine/saddle). I just had the runflats replaced today, even though they were still in good shape, because I couldn't take the hard ride. I went with the Kuhmo Ecsta ASX (highly rated on tirerack with a 30K guarantee). Immediate noticeable improvement. The car didn't ride like my LS, but reminded me of some of the Euro sedans I've owned. Still handled well (I'm not an aggressive driver) but much more comfortable and quiet. I'd say half the noise and jarring. My dealer gave me a good price on the tires and installation, only a modest amount more than Tirerack, and offered to store my run flats at the service center (no charge) in case I wanted to put them back on, or if I decided to return the car when it went off lease in two years (he didn't think I would have to do that, but I was a little concerned).

I've also experienced the dead battery problem. My service tech said to get a trickle charger if I wasn't driving the car for an extended period (month or longer), and to lock it even in the garage if it wasn't going to be driven for a week or more. If it's locked apparently fewer of the computers and other electronic components draw power.
    I was sorry to read the earlier post by the person who was so disappointed with his Lexus. I switched from MB and am on my third Lexus. My wife and I could not be more pleased with the cars or our dealership.
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    I had a dead battery problem 3 times on my 2005 SC430 Pebble Beach model. I only have 3,200 miles in 14 months. I finally bought a trickle charger, also on the advice of my dealer. There is no doubt that the car must be driven regularly or the battery will go dead in as little as 2 weeks.

We love the car, although it is not perfect. The liquid crystal gauges disappear when wearing Polaroid sunglasses. The cruise control is not as convenient to operate as the Mercedes cruise control. The Navigation should permit entries to be made when in motion. The run flats do make for a harsher ride, but is a reasonable trade off for the security, especially for my wife.

The fit and finish is superb, and the transmission much, much smoother than my 2006 Mercedes ML500.
    I agree about the cruise control. It's about the least convenient I've ever had. All the others had a way to keep it on (powered not engaged) at all times, and you could hit resume after reaching 25mph coming out of a toll booth and the car would accelerate back to the set speed. I guess they have opted for safety as a prime concern, which is the same thinking behind the Nav disallowing entries in motion. Maybe they could tie that function into the passenger seat sensor.
  • gokadengokaden Member Posts: 28
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2002 or 2003 CPO sc 430, and the KBB trade-in and retail values for this vehicle differs about $10K.

Therefore, should I expect to pay toward the high or low end of this range for this particular vehicle? I think this is heavily based on the popularity of the vehicle.

Any thoughts would help
    Go to "real world trade in values" forum. Ask there, and Terry (rroyce10) will answer. He owns several dealerships in FL and goes all over buying cars at auction. He always gives straight info on trade values and reasonable prices for used cars. Everyone comes back that he was right on the money.
  • gokadengokaden Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the info. I've reposted on that forum and hope I'll get an answer.
    02 lexus SC430 silver/saddle 56,000miles garage kept. Lexus dealer in Sarasota offered $33k for trade-in. I want to sell it, what can I get for it???

see #1090
    How much did the Dunlop's cost??
  • jerry06jerry06 Member Posts: 1
    Any Pros / Cons on installing clear vinyl (sheet) protector
    to all front leading surfaces of SC 430 to save paint from stone dings and "love" bugs?? Anyone have good / bad experiences??
  • fred430fred430 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2002 SC 430 and wondering if changing the oil myself is an easy job. Getting to the filter and drain plug.. Thanks
  • gbodiengbodien Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2002 Lexus SC430 in March and in the last 2 weeks have experienced battery failure. Car seems to run fine and then the next morning the battery is dead (lights are off , doors closed and everything seems off during this time). The car has a trickle charger which was installed by a Lexus dealer and it also included a 84 month battery. Anyone have any suggestions of what to do, besides plugging in the car every night.

Glenn
    Get a new battery,they don't last forever! I don't use my Sc430 for 2 weeks and it starts up fine with no trickle charging system!
  • scsc430scsc430 Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone,

I took the plunge today, and put down a deposit for an '06 SC 430 blue/saddle. I'm from South Carolina, but the car is coming from Florida by truck within the next 7-10 days. (I'm probably not going to sleep a bit until I get the call form the dealer.) I've been reading all of these postings carefully, as well as doing a lot of Internet research, and it seems that, in spite of some problems, most people are very satisfied with their cars. This will be my first Lexus, and I'm eager to see how their service after the sale stacks up.

A few questions...

1. Is it wise to purchase an extended warranty for this vehicle?
    2. Are the run flats not worth replacing once they've worn out?
    3. Are Zaino car care products the best ones on the market?

Thanks for y'alls input everyone! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

SCSC430
    1. No, I have a 2002 SC430 and nothing has broken in 68,000 miles!
    2. No, Get rid of the run flats once they have worn out and get yourself some Michelin Pilot P2 or similar. Your will feel the difference!
    3. Yes
    4. Enjoy your new car as I have. Put the top down and go for a long cruise. There is no equal! It's cheaper than a psychologist and a lot more fun.
  • scsc430scsc430 Member Posts: 3
    Hey bruceross,

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to pass on the extended warranty, and a lot of what I've read says to get rid of those run flat tires. Zaino it is, and I definitely plan to put that top down as soon as I get the car and take a nice long ride in the country!

SCSC430
  • fred430fred430 Member Posts: 2
    Used Zaino products for a year and by far the best. Shine is slightly better than regular waxes but last much much longer. Z-2, leather in a bottle and tire dressing are the top ones.
  • sosksosk Member Posts: 42
    to scsc430, CONGRATS! I bought an '02 in February (partially due to bruceross' great words!) and every day I love it more!

Question: vandalism on our street put my 20-yr-old son's Mercury Sable in the shop for too many days, and he's driving my SC - YIKES!!! He committed a sin & smoked a cigarette in it. When we get the Sable back on Monday, what cleaner/conditioner do you recommend for the interior to get that disgusting smell out???

Thanks everyone..........Sue in Dallas
    Zaino "Leather in a bottle" product will have your SC smelling like new leather in a few minutes. Also great for conditioning the leather. Give the kid a bus schedule and get back the keys :)
    JTMav
This discussion has been closed.