Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• howieauhowieau Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking and calling so far no luck.Let me know if you get answer
    thanks
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    When the new 4.6 is ready, the car will get the 3.5 and the new larger 4.6 (350HP).

The only question is will it be inroduced after the new LS arrives, which will overshadow all car introductions for a time, and not just Lexus'.

It could come in Spring of 2006, but the 4.6 will probably make it's first showing in the LS.
    The SC350 could be out next year, the 460 a year later.

DrFill
  • jbird1jbird1 Member Posts: 1
    I found an upgrade on Ebay. The dealer wants close to $300. I found an upgrade for less than $100! on Ebay.
  • edkaedka Member Posts: 6
    I have the same car and it rides like a truck! What I am looking for is a set of tires that ride like a $63,000.00 car instead of a Ford Pinto.... and tires that are very quite. I do not care about handling that much... although it is nice to have a car that handles well. I am 61 and I like.... no LOVE luxury...do U have any idea's about what tire I should use. for the quit and ride comfort? I am also loooking for a instrument cluster replacement... it is so cheap looking for this modern of a car!
    Did it work? Lexus tells me that if I do this all will fail. That my old CD will be ruined and the new one will not work....I would liove the upgrade.
    I HATE the ride on this car....my LEXUS dealer tells me to keep the airpressure light off to run tires at 55 lbs....I hate to spend this money for a car that is so beautiful and rides so bad. If I put 36 lbs on the tire pressue the tire pressure light comes on. I nlove the car for the exception of the ride and I hate the CHEAP dash cluster on the car. It looks like it came on a 1985 cr!
    I 110% agree...Lexus purcchased the tires. Coukld Lexus destroy a beautiful car for saving a couple of dollars? It appears to me tey should have put NON run flatts. I see no great atvantage to RUN FLATS...it is easy to carry a can of flat fix or buy a donut spare...it should fit in the bonnet. One more thing...don't U feel the dash cluster is old not very UP TO DATE! Lexus was known for thier dash...this one is soooooo plane
    I have 25,000 miles on my run flats...they have pleanty wear left in them...But I have hated the ride from day one. I am sure they could make another 15,000 without a problem. My dealer tells me to run them at 45 to 50 lbs of pressur to keep the light off...does this make any sense..U buy a $63,000 car and it has to drive like a tank BECAUSE the sensors are made wrong? I haveb a feeling if I had the balls to run them with low air pressure I would love th car more!
    I have a 2002 that rarely gets driven (I have only 22,000 miles on it) the seats and driver door panle looks that it has 60,000 miles on it.
    I must tell U I am and have been a car nut form when I was a teenager). I only drive it on pretty days and I never leave the top down in the sun (unless I am in it). 1st the seat is packing down (no longer puffy) and the clor is wearing off. It has a couple of cracks wher I enter the car. I weigh only 165 lbs. Now I will tell U I have called Lexus about this...they will not do ANYTHING about it because the car has a rebuilt title....BUT why can Lexus not be responsible because the car had dammage on the front? The car interior was not hurt in the accident. The accident was somnewhat minor (it took about $5,000.00 parts and labor to repair it...when it was finished I took it my local dealer to check it aand they said the repair was perfect! I think it is cheap of Lexus to not honor parts of the car that had no damage. In fact I am going to take them to small claim court in the small town I live in. I have a feeling a small town Judge will have a hard time with a big company that sells these expensive cars saying that it is normal for an interior to wear out so fast! The main reason I purchased the car is the interior! Before I had a Infinity with a light beige interior and after 76,000 miles it looked like it had not been sat in! So why this car with almost 3 times the coist......well U know.
  • vkingvking Member Posts: 3
    Hi Mike,
    I don't know if you got this problem resolved. I had this exact issue with my 2002 SC430 about a year ago. It has nothing to do with your accidentally setting the radio volume at high using the steering wheel "set" button (as someone else indicated).
    The amplifier is bad, and needs to be replaced. My dealer replaced mine for me. You should check with your dealer before your car is out of warranty.
  • vkingvking Member Posts: 3
    I've had a similar problem with the volume controls on the steering wheel AND the two knobs on the center stack. And this is on a replacement amplifier.
  • ipsadoodleipsadoodle Member Posts: 35
    I have given this info before,,,I had terrible experience with the original run flats..after suffering for 10,000 miles, and after extensive investigation, I replaced them with Dunlop run flats..which improved ride 90% and performance 90%...had cousin out of town with same car..who had same experience.,.and I followed his advice to Dunlops..then after writing 8 letters over time to Lexus..to no avail, I told my dealer about my experience,,he spoke to Lexus for me, and lo and behold...I finally received a check for the $1106 the tires cost me..Lexus had been 100% unresponive to my problem..becasue it is a national problem..otherwise, I am very happy with the car..just have 17,000 miles at present and as soon as they make any marked changes to this car, I will trade for new one..will also replace our 99 GS300 next month with new GS300..which is ordered...and believe me..in spite of what the dealers tell you, they will deal on the 06..In Scottsdale, AZ was offered $5000 discount (after some negotiating) and similar deal in my hometown...on east coast...so shop around, I have a couple dealers tell me "list price" ..baloney..let them keep that car.....
  • diemakerdiemaker Member Posts: 6
    After posting my message #875, then reading Lexuslover's message #895, I found that Ron was right on the money! I put the new 05' Shocks & Struts on my 03', and it did in fact improve the ride and handling. While I still have lots of tire wear left on my originals, I'm leaning towards the Pirelli P-0's for replacements just because of good results on a Mercedes SL that I used to own. Thanks for the tip Ron!
  • ardo1ardo1 Member Posts: 3
    I have purchased 7 Lexus from the same salesman and dealership over the past 15 years. I am looking to trade in my '01 LS 430 for a 02 SC 430. You would think I was pulling teeth!! They would only reduce their price by $500 and would only match CarMax's price on my trade-in. By the way, I just had the 60K service done -- so the dealership would not need to do it on my trade-in.

I love the cars, but is behavior normal for the folks selling the products? No customer appreciation. How about some goodwill?

thanks.
  • silvercloudiiisilvercloudiii Member Posts: 10
    Questions:

I am going to buy a 2002, 03, or 04 SC430.

Do they have GPS or DVD nav. or can you get either?
    Do they have a spare tire? If so where does it go?
    What is the gas mileage at 75 mph on the highway? in town?

Looked at an 02 said they got 8mpg in town and 12 on highway? sounds really low.

anything else you can tell me (warn) me about would be greatly appreciated

Sorry about this one, but should I get a 2003,4 or5 MB500SL instead?

Thanks
  • ardo1ardo1 Member Posts: 3
    I am searching also. However, do to budget constraints only concentrating on 2002 & 2003 SC 430s.

No GPS -- but does have NAV. No Lexus Link (remote access). Most come with Runflat tires, thus no spare. No trunk room for a spare, if you had one. Hard top nice feature for sound. Handles very well.
  • jbradbjbradb Member Posts: 39
    my '02 SC430 with runflats gets 14mpg in town (almost always driving less than 10 minutes at a time) but about 24mpg at 75-85 mph on the highway
  • moi2moi2 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: Welcome to the headache of the sc430--2003. I had to replace all 4 OEM Dunlop run flats at just 17K miles because only the inner tread wore down to 2/32. Had about 10-15K left on the rest of all 4 tires.....Was told this by both the dealer and the Dunlop tire guy. There's a guy in CA who is designing bearings to counter the negative camber which is part of the design of the car and which is causing the tire failure. This is not a race car!!! The issue is whether Lexus shou ld foot this bill for us....
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Set of 4 = $1200 installed, warranty, etc. at Discount Tire
    Dealer = $1600+ for same

Has anyone used a non-dealer tire store for these? Discount Tire says they've changed many with pressure sensors and the key is just to AVOID the sensor while the tire is changed...true?
  • janwyljanwyl Member Posts: 1
    The problem isn't the handling of the car--it is the run flats. This has been an ongoing "problem" since the car was introduced and while more recent models are slightly better, the fundamental problem is the small sidewall necessitated by the 18" wheels. The problem isn't the handling of the car--it is the run-flats. This has been an ongoing "problem" since the car was introduced and while more recent models are slightly better, the fundamental problem is the small sidewall necessitated by the 18" wheels.

My wife has a 2002 SC430 and after 33,000 miles, the tread was wearing enough that it was time to replace the tires. We went for the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (around $250/tire). These are not run-flat tires. I know there is a risk that a tire will fail leaving the car stranded, but the ride on the old OEM tires was so bad, we thought it worth the risk.

The good news is that the ride has VASTLY improved. It now rides like a Jaguar XK8 we had a few years. Along with the improved ride, if anything the handling has improved as well.

Overall, much recommend. :D

BTW, another issue with the original run-flats is that they are susceptible to “bibles” developing in the sidewalls. The tires we replaced had developed two...
  • mikestevensmikestevens Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if Bluetooth and/or satellite radio are available as either factory or dealered installed on the 2005 SC430?
    Just replaced Bridgestones with Dunlop 5000 DSSTs at Discount Tire. On a scale of 1-10, the car ride used to be a "4". Now, about a "7". Dramatic improvement, as others have mentioned before. Not as smooth as I'd like or even as smooth as other Lexi I have driven, but vastly better.
    Does anyone know if you can pay for an upgrade? (I have an '02)
  • micronmicron Member Posts: 1
    My father just bought one today. He has bluetooth in his car and i believe it is factory. As far as the satellite radio im not sure. Hope that helped.
  • mikestevensmikestevens Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info. I managed to confirm-no satellite--they just released photos of the 2006--a few changes to the front, I don't of any interior changes...
  • jecholsjechols Member Posts: 1
    Hermann2,
    You are absolutely right. We have a 02 Sc430. Dog tires. Lexus will and did nothing. I bought new 20" wheels and tires. Looks great. The car cannot hold the wheels. Too much. Must try 19's. I am in the equipment end of sales for the automotive industry. Very disturbing that Lexus will put a car on the road like this. My wife won't let me get her the new SL500 Mercedes. TOO MUCH MONEY.
    I bought a M45 Infiniti, absolutely in love! Drove a new Lexus GS 430. No spunk and soft suspension. IF you drive the new M45 you will buy it. Two friends have changed from Lexus to the M45. Reason, better car, more for the money. $55,000, LOADED. I mean loaded! Lexus better wake up, finally here comes Infiniti after trying for many years. By the way, my one son is driving the Infiniti G35 coupe, my second son just got his, my daughter just turn 16. Know what I am buying for her? They are safe, resale is great and just damned good looking. Also the Infiniti dealer reminds me of the early Lexus dealers, hungry. They're great. Run flats suck but Lexus sucks more for not fixing the problem that I bought from them. I will keep talking with the wife but looks like Lexus is on their way out with us. I started with them in '92 with an LS400. Too bad the prices have gone out of sight, but most of all they won't stand behind their cars. Good luck!
  • iancariancar Member Posts: 31
    As Lexus, Japan is making their final preparation to launch, the new SC430 will have its nameplate changes from soarer to "SC430" and minimum front-end changes. I believe these changes will apply to American model in 2006 SC430 with some upgrades with it. http://lexus.jp has full range of details and pictures.
  • calster1calster1 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking about buying a 05 sc430 but after reading some of the comments about the run flats on this site I am thinking twice. I initially became a little nervous because even in the Lexus sales material they advise ( in super fine print) that you can expect to get much less then 15,000 miles on the sc430 tires. But wear does not seem to be the problem facing many readers in this forum. Can some one tell me what it is exactly about THE "problem" that everyone seems to be commenting on without identifying exactly was the nature of the problem is?
    Bottom line, many of the early tires were bad...so much so that some people's rims were dented and ruined. They also had a very short life.

I must have gotten in after the bad ones, but mine still rode VERY loud and rough....very UNLexus. Just replaced them after 18K miles and Dunlops are much better. It was a very bad call by Lexus NOT to replace those peoples' tires (although they may have done a few for those who shouted the loudest) and make them happy. It has left a bad taste in my (and MANY owners') mouth to have trusted Lexus to make a superior product only to receive a mediocre one. The car has been a pleasure, otherwise.
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    The bluetooth is standard on the 2005s; the satellite radio is not an option
  • batiarbatiar Member Posts: 1
    I own a SC430, the computure indicated loss of pressure in the passanger rear tier. I took it 3 times for repair. The first time, they told me that the tier had a nail, and as a curtesy they replaced it. Second time, they did not say what they did because they did not have a work order. Third time, they placed the tier in water but no bubbles came out. My husband fills the air before taking it to repair, so they do not have any indication of the problem. Usually it takes about a week to 10 days until the car looses pressure. What else can I do? :confuse:
  • cranbobcranbob Member Posts: 1
    We bought an 02 SC 430 as a fun weekend car. We have had the LS series (4) and I will now buy nothing but Lexus/Toyota products having had Mercedes, BMW Cadillac and Jaguar.
    This car turns heads, gets more attention and is more fun than any car I have owned even going back to the MGB's in the early 70's.
    My wife and two daughters (ages 26 and 29 they only come by to borrow the SC) only let me drive it on Fridays but it is great. Nothing beats Lexus quality.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Welcome, batiar!
    You might also want to post your question in the Tires, tires, tires discussion in our Maintenance & Repair Forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• mgrillomgrillo Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a 2002 SC430 at $46K with 41K miles on it in San Diego, CA. A good price but all these postings on here has me concerned now. The volume control issues, the Run Flat Tires, the seats wearing out and ride of the car.

Should I buy a 2002 SC 430 or not?
    Is buying new one better than the 2002 versions?
    Any other maintenance problems with them?
    Is it worth it?

Thank you to anyone who can help me make this decision!
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    mgrillo;
    I can only offer my own experience and results of JD Power research. JD Power ranks the SC 430 with the highest score ever for a luxury vehicle.
    My own experience is that I bought an 03 new and have not had the first problem. The car has been back to the dealer only for required maintenance. The RF tires are a problem. However, my solution has been to increase the air pressure to 38 PSI and the car runs much smoother. It is still jarring over potholes and RR tracks but it is something I am willing to live with. Everything is a compromise and I am willing to sacrifice a little ride comfort for reliability. I only purchase my cars new so I won't render an opinion between new vs used.
    Best wishes for a correct decision
    Ron
  • mgrillomgrillo Member Posts: 2
    Ron,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the SC430...It seems like the tire issue is really the only problem anyone is having with them. Living in San Diego, I'm hoping that the issue will not be as bad as some others have had. I'm going to look at the car today up in Carlsbad...

Mike
  • jeff192jeff192 Member Posts: 5
    Mike,
    I bought a 2002 SC 430 in March. It had 26,000 miles and I paid 42,000. It is Silver / Saddle. I did a tremdous amount of research prior to buying. Living in Pennsylvania I wanted a hardtop convertible and given the limited selection, the SC 430 was by far the best choice. Even if I weren't in the market for a convertible, I think it would be tough to pass on this car. I agree with Ron that the RF take a while to get used to, but after a month or so you'll find yourself wondering what you were worrying about. This car is truly a treat to drive. I've not had any problems/ issues with the car. I'm jealous that you live in SD and get to go topless all the time!
  • project430project430 Member Posts: 1
    The Dealer makes available navigation upgrades on DVD twice a year. Last one I bought in 4/05. :D
  • lee47lee47 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

New to forum. Did a stupid thing---bought a used '03 SC43 via the internet with only my nephew to inspect. Young buck was so overcome by the car that his inspection wasn't very objective. The car really needs new carpeting. Any suggestions on how to get this done cheaper than the dealer. The area that needs replacing is the carpeting at the bottom of the driver's seat.

Also, anybody ever purchased 3rd party Navigation update.
  • jerrys5jerrys5 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to enter the dianostics screen for the sc430?
  • sueiosueio Member Posts: 2
    Looking for great ideas on how to neatly use the back seats as storage. How 'bout a custom cover that fits over the back seats with a zipper top? Anyone seen one?
  • sueiosueio Member Posts: 2
    Who has the best bra for a SC430?
  • brucerossbruceross Member Posts: 16
    Whats the deal with the run flat tire scare.I drive a company car over 30,000 miles a year for the last 4 years. No flat tires ever! When I purchased my 03 SC430 it came with run flat tires. After they wore out I purchased regular tires.In the remote chance I get a flat tire there is a 5.00 dollar can of leak repair in my huge trunk. If that doesn't work I'll call the AAA.No biggie! If I had to do it all over again, just get the car with regular tires throw away the spare and go have fun driving the best engineered sports convertible yet!
    While having some service, I asked dealer re NAV update. He said for my '02 SC430 (bought May, 2002) to wait for the next update...that the current one wouldn't have many changes. Costs $295 installed.
  • leebroleebro Member Posts: 8
    The "biggie" with the run-flats is that the salesmen tell me "the only way they come" is with the run-flats and the cheesy tacked on "spoiler". (I guess it won't qualify as a true rice-burner w/o a spoiler.) I won't pay 60K for a car and then be forced to pay 800+ more for options I don't want. Plus if you go to Lexus's own web-site, you will see under the build you own options, you have the choice of four packages. Each, though, includes both the spoiler and the run-flats. There seems to be no way to avoid picking one. "Bait and switch" on the sticker price???
  • brucerossbruceross Member Posts: 16
    The car for 60k comes totally equipped and then some. You know deep down you want that spoiler. Just remember you'll need that extra aerodynamics working for you at 156mph! As for the few hundred dollars charged for the run flats, suck it up and accept it! In the price range of this car are you going to complain about putting in high octane gas also?
  • sc430archsc430arch Member Posts: 1
    Ok, as a new sc430 owner, I learned that I need to turn my radio OFF when I go into an auto car wash...or I need to start washing the car by hand. I bent the antenna mast on the car so that now it won't retract fully or extend fully.
    I would like to buy the antenna mast and install it myself, but am not sure if I need to disassemble the entire rear of the car to do so. It looks like I might be able to get the mast out from the exterior but haven't tried. Any thoughts about how to execute this repair from others who have learned this lesson would be a great help.
  • susisusi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 sc430 and started having problems with the low tire warning light came on and I could not get it out took to dealer and they said I just did not have enough air in the tires, they balanced and rotated.. at about 11,000 miles the car was driving all over the place, pulling and very loud... I took back to dealer at 18,000 miles and they said the tires needed to be replaced and that they were cupped... said these Dunlop 5000 DSST tires should be changed at 20,000 miles...
    I was thinking about changing from the flat runs but from your message sounds like it would not matter and these sc430's eat up tires.. Your problem sounds just like mine... My husband said I paid too much for this car to have these problems and I've been thinking about getting rid of it... I wonder if anyone could provide some more info on the best tires for the sc430 that are not noise makers and last more than 18,000 miles..
  • stomp32stomp32 Member Posts: 38
    Sorry to hear about your problems. My wife has had her 04 since last June. Not one problem to speak of. After 13000 miles, the oe run flats look like they'll last another 5000 or so.

She doesn't complain about the ride quality, probably since just about anything is an improvement ride-wise compared to her departed 98 RAV-4. When it's time to replace them, I think she will stick with run flats.

I used to have to drive all the time, but since we got this car, it seems the only time I drive it is to take it in for routine maintenance.

Since Lexus is doing a minor face lift in 06, it looks like the SC will not get a total redo for another 3 or 4 years. Hope they don't let it die a slow death like the previous SC.
This discussion has been closed.