Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    The RX-8 handles beautifully. It is very confidence inspiring and adjustable mid-corner, but that doesn't mean it would beat any other car in a bend.

The EVO, for example, has such an awesome level of grip that most cars twice it's price can't keep up. CAR magazine called it possibly the fastest point-A to point-B car ever produced. It is interesting to note that after stating this, they choose the contender as the champion of this particular comparison test. The EVO may have been the fastest car, but the other car proved a more rewarding driving experience an thus got the nod (that was a BMW M3).

I have had more fun going the speed limit through a bend in a Miata than I have had going much faster through the same corner in a more powerful car. Maybe it is not how fast you are actually going as much as it is how fast you feel like you are going that matters. This kind of sums up the RX-8 driving experience to me. It felt much like a bigger, faster Miata, which is a big compliment to the suspension tuners at Mazda.
  • carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    My point was that a mid size SUV (Trailblazer, Explorer, etc.) could basically carry the same amount of cargo as a minivan thus making minivans useless in my opinion. If a minivan can carry those 4x8 sheets, then I know a Trailblazer or Honda Pilot could.

gkouris - I'm going to have to agree with geecoupe on this one...and you can say the same about your races against the 350Z and Mustang GT.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But then again it's all about power and weight. My 95' GS300 does 142 and my 94' LS does 150 (according to the mags) so make sure you know who you are against. And I don't mean just the cars.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    All posts referencing illegal street racing have been deleted and will be deleted in the future, so don't go there, okay? (as per Town Hall rules)

thank you

shifty the host
  • gkouris73gkouris73 Member Posts: 2
    gee35coupe-- Don't get me wrong, I totally respect the Civic Si, its a sweet ride....especially for the price.

But the reality of the matter is this: my RX-8 has more power and torque at all RPM levels and I redline alot higher than you. You are really pushing the civic to get to 130mph, its your top speed....i wouldnt say its "easy".

PS: Does anyone know about Fords rev limiter? I think Ford puts that cursed Rev Limiter on all its cars(including Mazdas) except the SVTs...sucks.

Mr Shift right-- I will refrain from talking about racing, we are just talking about car specs right now, thats all..sorry
    Okay, thanks very much!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    The trip up to redline in fifth is amazingly short. And even more so when you consider the redline is a "low" 6800 rpm. It's not really stressed at all. The car won't go any faster than 130 since it's at redline, but getting there is not a problem since that's where the horsepower is.

Kinda like the last 300ZX Turbo, it redlined at 165 or so. Any mod for it only made it quicker unless you messed with the rev limiter.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    There is no way an SUV could carry as much cargo as a similarly-sized minivan. By the time you throw in the increased ride height and the 4/AWD driveline, you've eaten up a serious chunk of cargo capacity. Our MPV has about the same exterior dimensions as our Grand Cherokee, but the MPV can haul *way* more stuff.
    Although max cargo load in weight is much higher in most SUVs. Hey both vehicles make sense for different jobs. A mini-van is better for moving people/driving around town, and the SUV is better for towing/hauling.

CASE CLOSED!

Back to the subject.
    Though I'll never reconize the mini-van as having any purpose, it's time to bring this discussion to a close.

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the stereo system in the RX-8. I thought that was one of the best parts about the vehicle. The sound was fantastic.
    I didn't even turn it on during my test drive, I wanted to hear the engine.
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Here's the performance data:
    http://members.rogers.com/ajac/PDF/ratings_summary_2004.pdf

Here's the ratings:
    http://members.rogers.com/ajac/PDF/ratings_summary_2004.pdf

Again, all cars were tested at the same place on the same day (don't know if it was same driver). So the performance data between the listed cars are pretty much apples-to-apples.
    The performance of a Viper and an RX-8 can not be seen as apples to apples. Hence, one is $80-$90K and the other just over $30K.
    I know you mentioned that you bought a Civic to drive this winter while keeping your RX-8 clean and safe in the garage. What do you do in matters of maintenance while keeping it stored? I know about turning the engine on ever so often and revving to keep it clean. Is that good enough or do you actually have to drive it a good distance (even if the weather is bad) to make sure the battery doesn't die among other things? I'm keeping my S2000 in the garage until the rain/snow stops and the roads get a little cleaner around where I live. We've got a lot of rain recently which has made the roads really dirty. I'm not to sure when this will end either. However, I want to do the best for the car, and if it needs to be driven more often, then I will. Have any tips?
    Obviously, what I mean is that all the performance numbers in that PDF were done on the same days at the same track (I don't know about the driver). As such, those numbers are an apples-to-apples in regards to the testing conditions for the most part.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    We've been lucky in the OH valley, so far. All we've had is rain and a few snow flakes that didn't stick.

So, I usually drive the Civic during the week and reserve the RX8 when it's dry outside. Since I travel a lot, the Civic gets "airport driving/parking" duty.

If it's dry outside, I drive the RX8 (no airport runs, though).

So, temperature doesn't matter to me (or the RX8) when I decide to drive it.

I will say that I'm driving the RX8 more than I expected since the weather turned. I doubt the RX8 will sit in the garage more than a couple of weeks at a time. If it does snow around here, it usually doesn't stay on the ground any longer than a couple of days. I try not to drive the RX8 in the rain, but it's tough not to. I have not had any problems with the 18" tires in the rain....the car "sticks" well. I don't know if I'd want to try my hand in the snow and ice with these tires, though.

To answer your question directly, I don't do anything special with my car. I just make certain that it has a full tank of gas if it's going to sit in the garage more than a week or so.

Gotta hand it to my (well used) Civic. It sits outside most of the time, in all sorts of weather, and all it asks of me is to put gas in it. As a side note, since I now get about 19 MPG on my RX8 in mixed driving, the Civic offsets that number by getting about 38 MPG on the highway and 30 MPG in town, on the cheapest regular fuel I can find.

As much as I like the Civic for its frugalness, it's always tough to see the RX8 sitting there, begging to be driven...when I do get into my 8, I like it even more.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Sorry, in post #1482 I posted the same link twice (and it was the ratings one not the performance one).

Here's the 'apples-to-apples' performance data from the AJAC testfest:

http://members.rogers.com/ajac/PDF/Performance_Data_2004.pdf
    Went into my dealer yesterday to get an oil change. They told me they were backed up and asked whether I could leave the car and take their shuttle to where I needed to be. "Of course...that'll work".

Ended up, their shuttle driver was about 50 miles away picking up parts and wouldn't be back for a couple of hours.

The sales manager happened to be in the shop area and overheard this. He came up to me and asked "Mr. Graphicguy, if you aren't going to take a long trip, I'll let you use my demo". Took him up on his offer.

It was a 6...totally loaded with the V6. Nice car.

Handles great...quiet on the inside...nice materials...I was impressed.

Surprisingly, I thought my RX8 rode better and of course was quicker and handled even better.

I would have thought a sedan would have rode better than the 8, though.

Still, for a car that would probably sell for around $23K, the 6 is a very nice piece.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... hmmm, in my personal opinion, the RX-8 is an absolute piece of work - great, supple, composed ride AND great handling. The quality of the ride comparison between the 6 and 8 is bound to be a tossup, because the 6 is geared a bit more towards comfort, if not outright opulent luxury.

The handling comparison - I'll grant the 8 that, having been in one on a - shall we say - very fun drive! Massive grin factor :)
  • crazy_eightcrazy_eight Member Posts: 2
    Took delivery on a titanium MT with the Grand Touring package, black/chaparral and, as it worked out, I had the week off (convenient huh?) to spend driving it for the "break-in". I LOVE this car!!! It's tight, it's fast, it corners like it's got a gyroscope on board, the ride is plenty comfortable, the sound system more than meets my needs. There's the "small" back seat but it's plenty big enough for me to drive around with my wife and 21 yr old daughter in the car (wife usually gets stuck in the back.) Mileage might be an issue for some but I'm getting 16.3 on my last fill-up and that's with a mix of open road cruising, some frisky driving getting the hang of the 6-speed and some stop-n-go driving. I traded in a 2001 Mustang that I thought I loved to drive. This is so much more responsive and just downright fun. I love the looks, the styling of the car and it's nice to have people walk up and admire the car when you stop for gas and such. I could go on and on but have probably said more than enough. If you've been thinking of one, I'd say testdrive one.
    Congrats and welcome!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    2003 Sports Car Shoot-Out: Nissan 350Z vs. Mazda RX-8
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/101039/article- .html
    Add another accolade to the RX8. Even our friends here at Edmunds picked it over the 350Z.
    As they often say about Ferrari--"this car is not about the numbers".
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    So, the book says to have my RX8 serviced every 7K miles or so.....and then I get this lovely letter from the dealer saying that I need to come in after 3.5K.....I have a father telling me that I need to go every 3 months or 3K miles....and I have a car nut friend telling me to change my oil myself and take it in once a year!.......

I wanna go with the manufacturer.....

any comments would be welcome!

and as an aside, tonight I had yet another wonderful conversation in a parking lot with a few more admirers of the RX8! "What is it?" "How big is the engine?" "How fast does it go?" "wow those doors are cool." "it really does have a trunk." "beautiful shape"......all but the last one were about the car!!... :-)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... I'd also invest in a cheap Polariod or digital camera. To capture the look on their faces when you tell them its a 1.3 l engine :)
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    well that oughta get the Z guys riled up a bit ;-)
    "beautiful shape"......all but the last one were about the car!!... :-)

LOL!!!!!

Go with the manual for service. I would also go with the "servere service schedule", which stipulates oil changes every 5K miles.

big h...no need for the "Z"/"G" folks to get riled. They've got nice cars in their own right. If you just test drive a Z/G, you'll think...."WOW". But if you drive a Z/G and drive an RX8, back to back, I have to agree with Edmunds...the differences are very apparent. Obviously, I agree with Edmunds conclusions, too (although, I don't understand their complaints about the sound system....I think it's very easy to use).
    graphic - You mean, you didn't write that comparo? Sure sounded like you.

Anyway, I think they might have tested a vehicle that had the 6 speed manual but not the upgrade which contained the better stereo. The stereo in the upgraded RX-8 was the best one I ever had.

"no need for the "Z"/"G" folks to get riled. They've got nice cars in their own right. If you just test drive a Z/G, you'll think....'WOW'."

Sounds like what a professional athlete says about the loser after winning a big game! "No need for the Yankees to get upset with the way they played. They played tough and when you first bat against their pitching staff, you think, 'WOW'. However, we're elated to come out with the victory!"
    "graphic - You mean, you didn't write that comparo? Sure sounded like you."

LOL!!!!!

Now, if they'll just get the check in the mail to me for writing the article, everything will be great.

It's hard for me, as you know, but I'm trying to be diplomatic.....
    I know, and it's quite humorous seeing you be diplomatic. Every magazine I've read that compares the two vehicles gives the nod to the
    RX-8. Well, you can tell how naturally nice a person is when there is no need to be diplomatic.
    thanks gguy for the advice...that was my plan....5K...plus it's an easy number for my tiny brain to remember......wait...so is 3....aw crap...now I am confused again......time for a drive to clear my mind!.....zoom zoom.....
  • motokichimotokichi Member Posts: 48
    hey folks, started looking at RX, thinking about what options to stick on the car.

for one i'd like to put a sparte tire kit, with all the potholes around the city and given the low profile 18's. Had an M Coupe without spare and worried about getting a flat all the time. has anyone put this on their car and how does it look?

also, sport package for the 6MT adds DSC. how much does this intrude on the fun, and can it be turned off?

also, any feedback on the Nav?

thanks,

kt
    Answers.....

Spare tire kit takes up a lot of room in the trunk. The RX8 does come with an emergency "fix a flat" kit if that's any consolation. Up to you, but ask yourself, when was the last time you had a flat tire?

DSC is one of the best out there. If you try to break traction, you will get it to come on momentarily...but those times are very few and far between given the very high handling capabilities of the car. I don't find the DSC to be at all intrusive.

I have the NAV, but that's only because it came with the particular car/color I wanted. I use it, but if you know your town well, I don't know that I'd get one again. I do find it useful when I'm in an area I don't know so well or when I'm trying to find an address in an area where I travel infrequently.

What I'm saying, I would be just as happy with the car even if I didn't have NAV. Coolness factor is high....particularly with voice prompted directions.
    Graphic - Does the NAV system in the RX-8 have voice recognition? I didn't know that it did. Seems really cool. The NAV system in any car sure does add appeal to the interior. High Tech!
    NAV doesn't have "voice recognition". It does have a pleasant woman's voice that will give you turn by turn driving directions, in addition to what's on the NAV screen. As a matter of fact, you can close the NAV screen and only get the woman's voice navigation insructions through the sound system's speakers.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    You can turn the DSC off.

"As a matter of fact, you can close the NAV screen and only get the woman's voice navigation insructions through the sound system's speakers."

So you can ignore the directions? When has a man ever listened to a woman give him directions? ;-)
    LOL!

Yes, you can ignore the directions....better yet, you can make her silent, too.

When's the last time you were able to do that?

All jest and in fun, ladies....you know we can't live without you....
  • rotarheadrotarhead Member Posts: 1
    I have the Navigation system as well...must say, even though I really didn't want it initially, I'm glad I have it! Made a few out of town trips and it was soooo easy to find directions to the nearest ATM (didn't want to find just any bank and pay those damn fees) and was able to find the nearest Chinese restaurant! Makes finding things so easy...only drawback is that sometimes it isn't 100% accurate because you'd have to get updates annually and I believe you're charged for them...but, a very nice benefit to have with this awesome car!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    And just to beat this subject to death, you can get a Garmin that also directs you, that you can move to any of your vehicles, and you pay less than half what Mazda want for the in-car system. I have two, one small very portable one (GPS III+) and one larger one (Streetpilot III).

Just another option. BTW, you can buy a Mazda "tray" to mount other Nav. systems in.
    So the navigation systems you mentioned are around a $1000? Are they any good?
  • doolsdools Member Posts: 11
    Can anyone out there tell me if the RX-8 has a directional compass? If so, where is it located? The salesman didn't know (shocker)...Thanks!
  • sroc2004sroc2004 Member Posts: 15
    Well if you have the navigation system, the compass is redundant. But I dont think there is compass display on the center stack or with the stock auto-dimming mirror.
    You can display the direction you're going on the NAV, so one in the mirror becomes, as sroc says, redundant.
    Here's something to put a couple of grins in your face....

http://www.vividracing.com/bbrx8exhaust.mov

http://www.vividracing.com/main/speedborla.mov
  • motokichimotokichi Member Posts: 48
    went back and started reading from about post 600 when people actually started getting their 8's. i see the spare topic had already been discussed, thanks for not telling me to go back some 300 posts.

the posts about flooding and gas mileage were interesting, as well as the posts regarding the kind of reception RX8's receive from fellow commuters.

has anyone here had to replace their tires yet? I'm wondering how long the low profile 18's will last.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    We are all set to lease a Honda Accord EX V6 coupe until we see a local dealer advertise for 3000 below MSRP on RX8. Anyone has an AT with sport package? How does it drive? Given that the AT has less power, do you have any problem day to day in town or freeway driving? The car is going to be share by my wife and 2 teenager kids. Any comment will be greatly appreciated
    I guess I can answer this one topgun7, me being the resident AT lover..I purchased the AT with Sports Package....drives great....close to 200hp is just fine and dandy for me!...plus being stuck in bumper to bumper each day for work, the AT makes my life much easier.....the paddle shifts are silly but fun!...and they light up red!...there has not been an on ramp that I can't get to 90+mph before I have to merge....and off ramps are a dream in this car!!...especially the clover leafs!...

now the Accord EXV6 is a nice car...more HP but weighs 300lbs more....better warrenty....and, it's Honda quality and all....but I've had no problems with my AT RX8 and the quality, to me, is great....front wheel vs rear wheel.......smaller wheels than the Sport Package RX8.....and then the RX8 has the suicide doors, which I love!.....I do wish I had a cooler shifter knob, but you can get different ones after market........

$3000 below MSRP....ah....well....you might be waiting awhile....that's your call....I believe that this car is worth MSRP.....actually, it's probably worth more if you add in the fun factor!!

any other comments from the gang are welcome!
  • docsrxdocsrx Member Posts: 4
    Cheezeboy and GraphicGuy have had recent postings regarding when to change the oil. I've had my RX8 for 9500 miles. Had the first oil change at 4500 miles and was getting the second last week, when at about 9300 miles the oil pressure light came on. I added about three-quarters of a quart of oil and the indicator went off and did not go on again. At the oil change appointment a couple days later the service department told me the RX8 engine uses a bit more oil than other engines.
    So I think I'm going to get 3K changes from here on out, despite the manual's 5K recommendation.

By the way, I've never had the oil pressure light problem that some owners have had where the oil pan and sensor have been replaced.
    My sensor worked as intended and warned me of a low oil condition.

My tire pressure sensors worked a few weeks ago, too, although it startled me because it started "dinging" a couple of times to alert me. I had just had snow tires put on a couple days before, and my first thought was that something was failing from that. But the day the sensor went on was the first day with sub freezing temps during the daytime and I found one tire with below 30psi due to the air contraction from the cold. Once I added some air the sensor went off and stayed off. Once again, working as it should.
    As other message board posters have mentioned, the handling of this car is great. And the interior dashboard layout is the best I've ever had. I love the digital speedmeter, the stereo system, the shiftable automatic , etc. etc. etc.
    rodut....I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about....are you sure you've got the right thread?

topgun....cheez is the resident AT expert around here. Can't add anything to what he's already said.

docsrx....yea, rotaries can use a bit of oil. I've been fortunate with mine as it doesn't seem to be using any oil between changes. I've only had one oil change though at 5K miles. 3K changes certainly won't be a bad thing. I think you're talking about the oil level light, not oil pressure guage.

There is a TSB about the oil pressure sensors replacement on some earlier VINs. Essentially, they put baffles in the oil pan and replace the oil level sensor.

You're not going to get any arguments here regarding how much we like our RX8s.