Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Looks like everything was done before you took delivery. There were 4 warranty claims before your delivery date and one after you took delivery. All minor stuff, including a new owners manual... With the exception of the claim at the dealership after you picked up the car the other stuff was done at the port...
    You are showing no open campaigns.

but I have a beef with you!!! It's 10 degrees here in connecticut and your down in florida enjoying your new RX-8!!!!
  • clementunesclementunes Member Posts: 6
    I'm really having fun driving my RX8! Still a little off in my feel for 5th-6th gears after driving a 5 speed for the last 14 years. When upshifting to 6th it seems like you really have to crank it diagonally down left instead of straight down from 5th. Gas mileage just over 19 mpg in mixed driving. I'm annoyed by the "chug" sound when moving the first few feet after being parked for a while. The auto dimming rear-view mirror is cool but it's large size obstructs the frontward view to the right somewhat. Enjoying this vehicle immensely apart from these small niggles
  • clementunesclementunes Member Posts: 6
    whoops. I meant to say that when upshifting into 6th it seems like you have to go diagonally down to the RIGHT rather than straight down from 5th!
  • carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    I haven't seen many RX-8s on the road, probably due to the winter. However, I figure the RX-8 can be just as good of a vehicle during the winter since the better version comes with heated seats and the rear wheel handling is just fine. I haven't been to a dealership for awhile so I don't know how many vehicles were on the lot. Since it's a mass produced vehicle, it shouldn't surprise people that there are several on the lot of any dealership. That's quite normal. This doesn't mean that the car isn't selling well like some posters here claim. I like how the RX-8 is making other car manufacturers work harder to bring a better product for a lower price into the marketplace. The Mazda 3 is adding to that idea.

I don't believe any car is jumping off the lots right now or any car really ever does. Before I purchased my new car, I also looked at SUVs. I was all over the place in my selection. It was mid-December and they were giving discounts on SUVs as well...so slow selling isn't just attributed to sports cars. Unless a car has just come out and is extremely limited (which is rare in itself), salespeople have to put some work into selling it. I was fortunate with my S2000. It was 1 of 2 2004s that the dealership had and I was able to get a nice deal. The Honda Penske dealership is one of the biggest in the country so I was lucky. They sell about 12 to 15 S2000s a year. Though, I had to go to the GM of the dealership to get the deal I was wanting. The inital salespeople weren't giving anything off of it and I became frustrated in dealing with them. My best advice for anyone looking for a new car is to skip the initial salesperson...and go directly to the sales manager or a higher up. I know they are busy but they know exactly how much they can give on a car and are concerned more with moving a car to add to the bottomline on numbers (than solely with commission). You will also get a better feel of how the dealership operates when you are able to deal with a person who has more control over things. If you know exactly what you want and what you are willing to pay, a sales manager or GM can't claim in being too busy to assist you. I called ahead and set up a time and that's all it took. If they claim they don't have time for you and some Joe Salesperson will be glad to help you instead, you just got an incite on how that dealership works. It amazes me on how intimidated people are who go shopping for cars (no matter what their age is) and take whatever the dealership gives them...whether in price for a car or a salesperson. Good luck!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I was told Mazda sold all the planned production for this model year and made a new batch. That's what we see on the lots. Here in Canada they are still in short supply.
    They might have sold the 12K they planned to in 2003, but the model year on the lots will be the same. There should be more than usual since they are planning to sell 30K this year. January and February will be good months for people to purchase it. They will have the winter advantage and more supply to keep prices down.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Shifting into 6th is not just a "straight shot" from 5th to 6th. That was done on purpose. I remember reading in the hardcover RX book that all us "pre-order" folks received that this was the case. I just can't remember the reason.

The "chug" sound you mention on initial take-off is normal. That is just the ABS calibrating itself.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • shroudshroud Member Posts: 78
    Hi guys

Im entertaining the fantasy of leasing an RX8 as a second vehicle. Do any of you drive this car full time in Canadian winter? Im talking Edmonton type winter - snow and ice on roads, etc. How does it handle that?

Jarrett
    Like any car with "sport/summer" tires, the RX8 isn't going to be very good in winter with the tires from the factory. Although, I don't drive mine in the snow, I've heard reports that with winter tires and the DSC, the RX8 does quite well in snow and ice.
    My friend here in Edmonton drives his. He bought 17" wheels and Nokian WR tires at Caltire and it works great. He figured he had to get more fenderwell clearance for ice/snow buildup. He used the stock profile, so the tire/wheel combination is smaller (5% error on speedo) but the car actually works better than with the stock size (18") he thinks.

The combination of DSC (dynamic stability control) and ABS as well as near 50/50 weight distribution in combination with low torque from the rotary makes it a breeze to drive.

Before one of you Americans askes how he gets around the tire pressure monitor, we don't have that in Canada (yet). Some of those in the US who have gone to winter wheels just ignore the light. Some taped it over. Some purchased four new sender units for the winter wheels.
    Cool, thanks Pathstar - so, I take it he's very happy with the car?

Jarrett
    "so, I take it he's very happy with the car?"

He was not impressed with the power reduction issue or the mis-truths or whatever they were MNAO put out about it. So he considered returning it on the return program and looked at his options re other vehicles. Turned out nothing was more tempting, much of the other stuff was worse (he had a 350Z trackpack ordered etc. but the dealers were so silly he cancelled). The WRX Sti was very tempting, but the Canadian dealers are crazy if they think we are going to give them $6000+ over invoice. The G35 was considered, but rejected.

He has since fixed the power reduction issue (see Canzoomer's Stage 1 mod.). The car is a hoot. There are so many well thought out "little things". It handles, and is fast even without his fix. It just doesn't throw you back into the seat. Speed kind of sneaks up on you with this car.

I want one too! (I have a 3rd gen RX-7 as my toy)
    I like the car in black :) Would be dirty all the time in winter, but if you kept it clean in summer -MAN that would be sharp. The only things I found not to my liking were:

no telescopic steering wheel - I think the Mazda 3 (I have one) spoiled me for that.

the driver side door closed in a sorta rattle-y way. Seemed to lack that solid feel. Kinda surprised me actually. The window was down though, so it might be that.

Im only 5' 11" and my hair felt like it was brushing the ceiling. That surprised me too.

Other than that: sweeet.

Jarrett
    There could be something loose in the door of the one you drove. The vast majority of us marvel at the quality solid "thunk" of the doors when closing them.

Telescopic wheel would be nice, but I don't know that I'd change the position of mine.

I'm 6' and don't have any issues headroom, but I have more "leg" than I do "torso".

I've had black cars in the past. When black cars are clean, they are the best looking cars around. That said, I could rarely keep my black cars looking good for more than a couple of days. Plus, black tends to show things like swirling, which becomes more prevalent as the car ages.
  • acf930acf930 Member Posts: 3
    So I was brave enough to try to drive to work today in only 2 inches of snow. The RX-8's handling was horrible. I was spinning out at a light and barely inched my way into a parking lot. I'm thinking of getting snow tires. Do you guys think these will really be helpful??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Now why do you think they call them snow tires :)

Sure they'll help but of course not so much on hard-pack that's freezing up. But in a 2-inch snow they should grip much better. Of course, you have to keep an easy foot down at all times.
    on an RX-8 work very well. 50/50 weight dist., DSC, ABS, and a low torque engine are the perfect setup for snow/ice. We use the Nokian WRs. Great tires.
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    ok...so gguy sparked a question in my head concerning this wonderful vehical. (And this topic applies to both sexes and all types of cars.)

See, I fell for this car when I saw it at the auto show and waited awhile for funds before I test drove. After the other possible vehicals, the test drive sealed the deal and my wallet/checkbook fell outta my hands. I was hooked. But after my purchase, my co-workers all said, "Cheeze, that's a babe magnet! You'll have girls all over ya in that car!". The thought of buying a car just for it's sex appeal never crossed my mind. Never has. (well, except for when I thought about getting a Countach, but that stems from "CannonBall Run" and Adrienne Barbeau!)

I will now sum up all the "babes" that have come a runnin to see me and my car since I got her in October:

-one beautiful blonde, who happens to be a friend and is both a lesbian and spoken for.
    -one 50ish couple from upstate New York who thought the car was "quite attractive" and wanted to know if "it would be suitable for their 20ish college student daughter?".
    -a car load of four mid 40's women, mix races and sizes, all married and thought the car looked so "cute". (upspeak the 'cute')
    -and countless 20 to 30 year old males, wanting to know: how fast? how quick? how big an engine? do I have nitrious added? have I raced anybody yet? etc etc etc

as far as I can tell, GGuy got all the babe magnetism with his 'Girl on the Hood' story. Darn him anyway.........he's married for cripes sakes! :-)

Comments are welcome. :-)
    NO.....NO.....NO......!!!!!

I am unmarried, very hetero and very available for those who have the inclination that I'm as "sexy" as my RX8....;-)
    GGuy - many humble apologies then.... I was sure I read that you were married....or was it a GF?.... but alas, I was incorrect. But then why did the "Girl On The Hood" run away?....hmmm.....perhaps you showed anger at the site of a someone on your hood, and you are within your rights to be so! I know I would be! Anyway, you still have a way better magnet story than I. :-)
    No appologies required. I was married at one point in my life. That's where my son came from (he lives with me).

Yes, have a sometime GF....on again, off again! Gotta be real careful who you bring around the house if you have a kid at home.

Girl on the hood was "startled" by me using my remote lock and hearing the doors unlock. Or maybe she saw this dark haired Italian with a with a surly attitude coming her way yelling "badda-bing...badda boom";-)

On a sadder note, we've been hit with 3 sn1ow storms this week....about a foot of it on the ground and I can't shovel it fast enough to clear my driveway. The RX8 has been sitting patiently in the garage for a week wondering if it's ever going to get a chance to wind out again.

It doesn't happen often, but when snow hits the OH Valley, it comes in full force.

The good news is I've got the cleanest car in the neighborhood. The bad news is it's sitting in the garage where no one can see it.
    Same situation with me. I got my S2000 back on December 10th. It only has a little more than a 100 miles on it. Damn winter! Anyway, I've haven't been more proud of the Mercury sedan that I drive around during this kind of weather. I'm sure you're proud of your civic. It's like a backup quarterback coming into a game and playing really well. Take care of that Civic (or Mercury in my case) and it will take care of you.

I still can't believe some teen was on your hood. Where are manners these days? I would have had to call cheeseboy's lawyer if I would have seen some stupid girl do that. The one thing that really sets me off is when people aren't considerate of my property (especially a car). My goodness!

Cheeseboy - Like I told graphic, you're the real reason why those women talked to you. They just used the RX-8 as an excuse. Unfortunately, we can't use the same explanation for the guys who showed interest.
    I was wondering how much driving you got to do with the S2000. It's got to be killing you to have such a nice car and just watch it sit.

Actually, I'll be real envious of you if you tell me you've got a nice Grand Marguis you're using for wither duty. I looked, and looked to find a good used Crown Vic or GM to use as a snow car. To me, those are perfect snow cars.....big, comfy and with enough weight that they pound the snow into submission. No wonder police forces love them. Put some big ole' snow timres on those things and you can go anywhere.
    It's actually a Mercury Mystique. It's a small sedan but I've been very surprised about how good it's been in the snow. Thankfully, I haven't gotten it stuck and it sticks to the road pretty well. It doesn't make me nervous which is the most positive sign.

Yes, I wish I could be driving the S2000 but then it would have to be spring or summer. I would hate to get the vehicle dirty (and I'm a nut about clean cars). I see all the salt and grime from the melting snow on the streets and I feel rather happy not having to drive the S2000 under those conditions. Your RX-8 is thanking you right now since you are getting the kind of weather I am. Those plow trucks can do a lot of damage to your car when you pass them and all the crap hits your car. So, fortunately, there are pros and cons not being able to drive it.
    so sorry to hear about the snow. It's been 15 years since I lived with snow (Wisconsin) and I really don't miss it. Maybe in another 15 years I will miss it...but I doubt it! But I do remember this bit when driving in the snow with the old Chevette - 50 lb bags of salt! Heck, I had bags in the hatch, back seat, front seat, roof, you name it! Kept that car firmly planted on the road! Kinda hard to get more than a few bag in the S2000 carliker, but gguy can get a bunch in his RX8! I'll send ya both a gift certificate to Farm & Fleet!..... :-)

ok...now is it getting bad when I stop by my print shop to see if another print job was completed and I say, "yeah I was just driving by..." and the girl at the front desk interrupts me and says, "oh, ya HAD to just go for a drive? Couldn't just call on the phone. nope, ya gotta go DRIVE by here."....??.......and I answer, "ah...yeah!"...?? It's bad isn't it?....LOL!.....
    carliker- I am not really sure about the moonroof thing....just that when I am in a car with one, I gotta pull the cover over it! Look, I never said I was ~totally~ stable! To quote Porcupine Tree, "I got wiring loose inside my head.".....must be something from my childhood. A traumatic 'Moonroof' incident that is haunting me to this day. Maybe I got my head stuck in one! :-) (this would explain alot more than just this one issue!)....
    didn't think I would get this done so soon, but here is an update

http://www.fungistudios.com/RX8_Shima/RX8_Shima.htm

if you like to see 2 sexy 'gals', look at Gallery 4!
    carliker....a Mystique works well. Most importantly, "it doesn't make you nervous when you're driving". That's what I consider the most desireable trait in a 2nd car.

My Civic, is very dirty with salt and winter grime, I was passing a car wash last night and just shook my head. It was all of 5 degrees outside, yet I saw a huge line at the local drivethrough carwash. Those folks will have a clean car, but when they try to get into it this a.m. after sitting in the well below freezing temps all night, they will notice that the water in all the little "nooks and crannies" didn't get dried. End result, my guess is they will have doors that won't open because they are frozen shut.

Look at it this way, in two months, you'll have the opportunity to open the top on your S2000 and drive around with the wind in your face.

Cheeze...I've lived in OH most of my life with a couple of brief stints in CA (Bay Area), Chicago and Boston (with a couple of 2 month stays in Brazil and one 3 month stay in London for work). Every year I tell myself I'm moving to a warmer climate. Then Spring rolls around and I forget all about it. The first, and sometimes 2nd snowfall I don't mind so much, particularly if it falls around the Holidays like it did this year. It's the lingering snow and cold that get to me (like we're experiencing now). In reality, there are only 2 or 3 months when I get antsy around here....January, February and sometimes March. The rest are, in general, pleasant.

Can't help you with the sunroof fear. Perhaps some sunroof "therapy"? Of course you had to drive to the print shop. You got the good weather. You've got the RX8. There should be no question.

That's a big boat. One of the pics looks like it's getting ready to plow into your 8.

I may have to take the RX8 out today, even with the salt on the roads. It's just too tempting.
    Hey pathstar, how does your friend find the heater/defroster in the Rx8? In these extremely cold winter days we are experiencing, does it get the job done?

Reason I ask is the heater/defroster in my Mazda 3 flat out sucks in my opinion. Im very dissatisfied with it.

Jarrett
    I think any heater is going to struggle with the kind of low temps we've had recently. I haven't had my 8 out for a week or so, but I was driving my Civic last night and temps dropped to near zero. It took 20 minutes just to get the heater to put out some semi-warm air.

Keep your eye on your temp guage. You should be able to tell when the thermostat opens up by the movement of the temp needle. If the temp needle stays unusually low all the time, you may have a thermostat problem.

I've driven my 8 when it was in the teens. Didn't notice that the heater was having problems, but that could be because I used the seat heater.

Can't comment about the 3 because I've never driven one, but I suspect it may be similar to the one in the 8.
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    In my Prelude, the heater warms up a couple minutes after I hit the highway, even in subzero (<0F) temperatures. I'm guessing the RENESIS should be similar, as long you do a high-speed, full-throttle merge, and then keep the revs up above 4K as you cruise along...
    is totally faulty ;-). Reason is his car has been down for 5 days now. Will not start when temps. are below -25C or so. When he got it, a "block heater" was listed on the invoice (as one of that particular dealer's "extras" thrown in at no extra cost). There is no RX-8 block heater. My RX-7 had one that was bolted on externally - it went around the spark plugs on the side of the engine. He wanted to install an "in-line" circulation type heater (goes in the heater hose and pumps the heated coolant throughout the engine). Mazda said "no", so now they are going to have to tow his car to a dealer (different one) to get it warmed up indoors and started. Then, hopefully, they will install the circ. heater he bought last fall.

Not sure why Mazda thinks they are so smart!
    One other thing about the cold. Be very carefull removing the engine cover when cold (in our case, to boost the car). The rubber grommets hold on tightly, and the cover will crack if you pull too hard.
    yes...yes...it's in the middle of the Super Bowl and I am writing this....I have no tv, so what else do I have to do? Anyway, It rained here in S. Florida last night.....hard.... I worked late at a studio and came out at 2am to a 'flood'...sheets of rain...and the parking lot was filled with mini-lakes ranging from an inch to around 6inches of water...I was a bit worried, but survived no problems! It was great cause my buddy in his Corvette did the 'snorkel' and sucked in water......bad!....I was wondering how many other cars snorkel? seems like a weird design on his engine - thing goes like heck on dry pavement though!! lol! My RX8 drove fine in the rain, but I couldn't go too fast - hard to see anything it was raining so hard.

After all these "cold weather" posts, I am so happy it was just rain and not snow!
    Pathstar, help me understand your friend's issue....he/she ordered an RX8 with the "block heater" listed on the order sheet (I didn't see one listed when I ordered mine). No block heater installed by the dealer. Didn't your friend see that there wasn't a "plug" for the block heater at delivery?

At -25 degrees, there's going to be slush in the radiator. The battery probably won't generate enough juice to turn the car over. The oil is going to be the consistency of vaseline. And, I doubt the heater is going to operate the way it's supposed to.

By the way, this would be true of any car, not just the RX8.
    Hold back your temptation. Don't get the salt and grime on your RX-8. Just not worth it!
    Well, I could say nasty things ;-) about those not versed in "THE COLD", but actually you're just very lucky. The coolant doesn't change state. If it get's cold enough, it will actually gell, not freeze, but not until -50 or so with a 50/50 solution. If there is less glycol in there it can freeze. The oil, well that's another matter. One year I tried to add a litre that was stored in the garage (not adding to an RX-8). It was probably at -15 C or so. Took an hour for all of it to flow into the engine (10W30)! Entertaining.

The RX-8 actually cranks over quite well. It even fired (sputtered) a few times. He's tried 5 times to start it and the battery is still working fine. We think it just flooded (fuel just doesn't want to vaporize at these temps.).

As for that dealer, it was an advertizing gimmick. Pretty much any car you buy new here comes with a block heater. They are kind of necessary. Dealer just forgot to delete that reference or check before tacking the list to the vehicle paperwork.

As for any vehicle having problems, if properly prepped, most vehicles will start at -40. They will not like it, but they will start. Unless you flood them, and not just RX-8s will flood. At these temps. any car can flood very easily. If it does then you're sunk!

Back to the heater. I suspect this car was designed to not overheat (a problem with the 3rd gen RX-7). I'll bet the heater would work much better with a "cold front". That's a solid bug screen placed over the rad air intake. Until it wouldn't start, the heater worked fine, even without a "cold front", at temps. just below 0 F. It does take a while to warm up, but no different than most other cars we've had experience with.
    I've actually seen anti-freeze/water mixture, glop out of the radiator like a "slushy" in extremely cold temps.

Depending on the state of charge of the battery, even brand new ones, some will crank (albeit, slowly) and some will only turn over a half dozen times before running out in extremely cold temps.

As you point out, very cold oil doesn't have very good flow characteristics.

I still haven't taken my 8 out for over a week, but the last time I drove it the temps were about 15 degrees F. No problems with the heater then.
    I went over to his place this afternoon with my battery charger (Statpower Truecharge 40). Charged up the battery and tried to start it with the accel. pedal to the floor (as per manual instructions for unflooding). Recharged. Tried again. Recharged. Tried again. etc. It finally began to fire once per rev. Seems one rotor's plugs are soaked, the other has at least one plug that fires sometimes. This is not enough to start a rotary engine, unfortunatly. Oh well. He's not alone with a flooded RX-8.
  • doolsdools Member Posts: 11
    I'm cross-shopping the S2K, RX-8, 350Z roadster, and Crossfire (waiting for the roadster), so I'm glad to see the rags comparing these cars. I currently have a Z3, and am trying to decide whether to go more practical (RX-8?) or stick with a convertible given the fact that I live in San Diego.
    I've test-driven the S2K ('03), RX-8, and Crossfire coupe. My impressions: The RX-8 has the best interior by far. The S2K is a bit bare-bones, though I do like the remote radio controls and the engine start button is pretty cool (though unnecessary?). The Crossfire's radio controls were tiny and the read-out unreadable in any sunlight. Plus, I love the steering-wheel mounted controls on the RX-8. All were fun to drive in their own ways. I loved the feel of the Xfire's wide tires, and the go-cart handling of the S2K. As for the RX-8, it was the first of the bunch that I drove and I think I could have let the RPMs scream up there a bit more--there were also a lot of cars on the road when I drove it which hampered my fun a bit.
    Honestly, there really wasn't a clear winner in the bunch, though since the interior of a car is so important to me I might have to give the nod to the RX-8. However, I did look at a demo car and noticed that the center storage console looked like it was scraping along its tracks (made it look beat-up)--has anyone who has owned the car for a while noticed that component getting worn out so quickly? I also liked the Mazda dealer folks WAY better than the Honda and Chrysler guys. Still, I love to drop the top so I may have to test the Mazdaspeed Miata when that comes out. Anyway, thanks to all for the great info on this board--really helpful in trying to make my decision. One last thing--has anyone seen the titanium with the red/black interior? I love the red/black combo but would prefer to get titanium since I don't keep my car in a garage and red and black exteriors show dirt so quickly.
    Take care all.
    It seems like you are in the same situation I was in just a few months ago. I had a Z3 as well and got used to having a drop top. Fortunately for you, you live in beautiful San Diego, so a roadster could be used year round. If you are looking for fun and something more practical, you just can't go wrong with the RX-8. The price (now more dealerships are discounting a little more) is unbeatable for what you get, the interior is exciting and the performance is a whole lot of fun. I would at least get the model that has the 6MT, HID lights and the great stereo system. You also seem to like the two-tone leather seats as well.

If you got your heart set on a roadster, I chose to get a 2004 S2000. I wouldn't have gotten a 2003 model since they made the 2004 car a lot easier to live with while improving everything from the engine (2.2 instead of 2.0 and better suspension) to the interior (nice metallic accents and some come with two-tone leather). Definite improvement on an already competitive car. It's too bad that the Honda dealership near you isn't very good. I bet you could get a better price on one of these if you went a little outside your area anyway.

I feel that the 350Z roadster is overpriced for the relatively poor interior, but at least it's better than the coupe. I haven't been in a Crossfire, but hopefully the convertible version has more power than the coupe. Otherwise, I'd stay away from this one unless you care more about an attractive interior and don't mind dealing with Chrysler dealerships.

I don't know how much the Mazdaspeed Miata is going to be. If it's priced around $25K and has a good amount more power than the regular version, it might be an attractive buy. Really depends on what you want to spend from that point. Good luck!
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    Mazda has announced the MSRP for a MS Miata to be under $26k.

a VERY good deal if you're looking for the purest roadster on the market, now faster too!
    I came home last night and found a package from Mazda in my mailbox. I'm still on Mazda's list for first buyers of the RX-8 and so they send me appreciation gifts and magazines. However, I was really surprised by what they sent me this time around. I opened the box to find a authentic die cast replica (1:43 scale) of the RX-8 that I bought back in July with a personal note of thanks! The color of the car (sunlight silver metallic) was the same color of the RX-8 that I'd purchased. By the weight of it, it's a quality die cast. I have to say Mazda has done more to show appreciation to their first customers than any manufacturer I've known. I was wondering if the other first RX-8 buyers received one of these yet. This was a classy move to keep Mazda RX-8 owners even more excited about their car!
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    other pre-order RX-8 customers have also recently received their die-cast models of their cars!

Mazda is doing this only for the RX-8 because they know this is a very important car for the company, and they want to keep the customers happy and become their best advertisement/salesperson to their friends and family in buying other Mazda vehicles.

they also appreciate just how loyal a true rotorhead is, and how important it is to keep the faith alive! lol
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I think I have seen the RX-8 done in 1:18 size diecasts elsewhere for about $20-25. The little one might attach to the dashboard. I've seen several PT Cruisers with the small diecasts on the dash. When the Chrysler 300M was 1999 M/T "Car of the Year," DC sent new owners a collectible style two ring key holder, engraved, etc. However, as the key holder was a first year build mine broke on one end shortly after issue despite proper care and maintenance. The car itself however has held up very well, hopefully the RX-8 will also. But, always warm up those RX-8 diecasts before allowing a child to shut them off.
    Both caliker and myself should have known that as soon as we bought cars that are mainly spring, summer, fall cars, one of the snowiest winters in recent memory would hit us. It's snowing again as I look out my window while typing this. I haven't had my RX8 out of the garage for two weeks, but have resisted putting snow tire on it, yet.

I just saw the review in Motor Trend for their sports car shootout. And, again, the RX8 bested the 350Z. So far, the RX8 has bested either the G35C or the 350Z in shootouts staged by C&D, Motor Trend and here at Edmunds. Motor Trend actually called the RX8 an "exotic".

I don't know why they keep throwing the S2000 in the mix given it's a convertible....to me, that's a different class of car (if I were in the market for a roadster drop top, the S2000 would be at the very top of that list).

I also keep getting "little gifts" from Mazda. I got the die cast car yesterday. That's a nice way of keeping RX8 loyalty.

I'll be looking pretty closely at the supercharged Mazdaspeed RX8 when/if it becomes available for the '06 model.
    What color was your die cast? Was it red from your actual ordered car or winning blue?

I wonder what changes would be made to the 2006 Mazdaspeed RX-8. Obviously, the exterior will be made to look sportier, but I wonder if the price would make it less attractive than the regular. Will the increase power be worth it? Does anyone know how the Mazdaspeed Miata is different from the regular upgrade version? Maybe that would give some idea.
    My die cast is red, like my original pre-order. I wish it was blue, but I won't complain since it was free.

Only speculation, but I would think ground effects, wheels, and of course, a 300 HP RENESIS would be part of the Mazdaspeed RX8.

Mazdaspeed Miata is turbocharged to 178HP...new clutch, wheels, cloth top, leather interior.
    I also received an interesting Mazda gift....but not a die-cast car. I got a lovely little plastic package, in the shape of the steering wheel, that, upon opening, had a bottle of touch-up paint!..Is Mazda trying to tell me that I am driving recklessly and maybe needing this?..LOL!.....anyway, it was a nice thing to send! And they are also tormenting me with another accessories catalog!!...ack!..they know I am gonna have to buy something again!!....

gguy - again, I am so sorry about the snow. Do you now see why I moved to South Florida?!?....yeah, there's the bad elections and the lame football/hockey teams, and some of the poorest drivers ya ever saw.....but not a snowplow for miles!!.....don't worry, in a month your snow will melt!...then zoom zoom!!
  • mkollmkoll Member Posts: 21
    In the last two weeks I have received 2 packages from Mazda. One being the plastic steering wheel with touch-up paint that Cheezeboy received, and the other a separate package containing touch-up paint. When I put these little bottles together with the one I asked the dealer for when I purchased the car, I have almost enough paint to cover the entire car. Maybe I can trade a few bottles of touch-up for a diecast replica. If anyone is looking for a slightly larger diecast version of the RX-8, I purchased a nice 1:18 scale
    by AutoArt at Ehobbies.com. It has working doors, trunk and hood, removable engine cover, and very detailed interior including two-tone red/black.
    I have also found some smaller diecast models, 4" long. It would be nice to get one from Mazda. I purchased in mid October last year. Do you think they are sending these only to those who made earlier purchases? I bet if I talk to the dealer they could get me one. They have been nothing but helpful each time I show up there.